Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E13: Top 12 Live Reveal

• Start Topic

I feel like Ava (like Maddie Poppe before her) is the type of girl the show was looking for back in season 9. Someone who can sing who is artistic rather than “artistic” being a crutch for someone who simply can’t sing worth a crap. The way she was dressed reminded me of Taylor Swift’s folklore aesthetic.

I thought the show was better tonight than it was yesterday or last week. Casey and Madison both did better than last night, I liked both Ava and Beane for the first time, and Paula was a lot of fun to have back at the judges’ table. I wish Grace had been better because I like the song she chose. I’m so happy they picked Madison and Beane! I did like Alanis tonight, she had a good look, but unfortunately not much range. If she could’ve just stayed in those lower notes, she would’ve been great, but every time she went for a higher note, it was nails on chalkboard.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, MarylandGirl said:

So in the last episode thread, we mentioned needing Randy and Simon--instead, we got Paula!

Yeah, her appearance did seem rather superfluous, given she didn't really say much that was all that different from what the other judges said. But it was nice to see her on the show again in and of itself-had to bring back some happy memories for her, I'm sure :).

Wishing Luke a speedy recovery from the virus. 

I'm neutral overall about the top 12. A few people in there I'm glad to see there, others, I personally might've picked another contestant over them. I'm also really curious how this change with bringing someone from last season to join the group will play out, too. On the one hand I like that a contestant from last year will get that kind of opportunity, 'cause it really did suck that they missed out on this aspect of the show due to the pandemic, so it's a nice ide on that level. But on the other hand, it does feel a little unfair to someone from this year's batch who could be there instead. 

12 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I did like Alanis tonight, she had a good look.

My mom said her outfit made her look like she was getting ready for bed :p. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Yeah, her appearance did seem rather superfluous, given she didn't really say much that was all that different from what the other judges said. But it was nice to see her on the show again in and of itself-had to bring back some happy memories for her, I'm sure :).

Wishing Luke a speedy recovery from the virus. 

I'm neutral overall about the top 12. A few people in there I'm glad to see there, others, I personally might've picked another contestant over them. I'm also really curious how this change with bringing someone from last season to join the group will play out, too. On the one hand I like that a contestant from last year will get that kind of opportunity, 'cause it really did suck that they missed out on this aspect of the show due to the pandemic, so it's a nice ide on that level. But on the other hand, it does feel a little unfair to someone from this year's batch who could be there instead. 

My mom said her outfit made her look like she was getting ready for bed :p. 

I missed that ...they are bringing someone back from last season??  Next week?

why did the one guy from last night not perform tonite and  has left the show?

Edited by Diana Berry
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

I missed that ...they are bringing someone back from last season??  Next week?

why did the one guy from last night not perform tonite and  has left the show?

Yeah, they're bringing back a select group of contestants from last season to perform, and they're letting viewers get a chance to vote on which one will join this season. And yes, it's supposed to be on next week's show.

There's a link posted in the media thread about Wyatt's departure, but even then it still doesn't sound like it gives much in the way of specific reasons why he left. 

• Love 1

First, the positive! Like @TheGreenKnight commented, I felt tonight's performances were overall much stronger than last nights.  I guess the nerves must have really affected some of them last night.  Beane should definitely stick to this style as opposed to the lounge act stuff, I appreciated him for the first time tonight and felt he earned his spot.  I also enjoyed Hunter's version of "I Can't Make You Love Me" and I'm extra critical of people singing that song since I love it so much.

On the other hand (and also another non-original thought), like @luna1122 said, I thought Graham left it all on the stage and while Madison was fine, Graham would have made more sense if they were truly basing it only on tonight's performances.  I figured Alyssa was a shoe-in for a spot, but her performance was again very "pageanty".  If she can break through and become more natural, she will be awesome.

After last night, I would have doubted that the show could do anything to make me like the judges less--and then they brought in Paula.  I was over her by the end of her original run on AI, suffered through her appearances on SYTYCD, and made it through about 10 minutes of the Masked Dancer before noping out due to her involvement.  There is just something about her inane comments and quavering vocal tone that works my last nerve.  There was a lot of FF'ing tonight since Luke was the only judge I could stand.  Wishing Luke a rapid recovery!!!  

• Love 5

As much as I try to like Ava because I think she looks like Taylor Swift and I really like Taylor Swift,  I just can't. I do not like her breathy singing. 

I still cannot stand manufactured-Madison. What she did with Hotline Bling was weird. I couldn't recognize the song

I bet that the contestants eliminated yesterday are so happy to here that Wyatt quit the show. Way to cost them a spot, Wyatt!

I like Beane and his quiet, quirky good-guy demeanor. I think he is experimenting with us and trying out a little more makeup each episode. I like it. It becomes him.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

still cannot stand manufactured-Madison. What she did with Hotline Bling was weird. I couldn't recognize the song

I don’t know how it’s even possible to make a Drake song sound dated and cheesy but Madison did it. As Mr. Gilly said, that outfit alone should have gotten her eliminated. All I can figure is that the producers or whoever wanted to clear lanes for Ava and Chayce, and Madison (with no lane at all) was the only option from the bottom 5 batch that won’t be a threat in America’s vote next week. Still, go to hell, show, for making us suffer through another week of her pageanty mugging, ghastly performances, overly pink and spangly getups, and that hair....

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, ms gilly said:

Still, go to hell, show, for making us suffer through another week of her pageanty mugging, ghastly performances, overly pink and spangly getups, and that hair....

👆 This!

• Love 4

If they were really being strict about Covid protocols, the show should have shut down and everyone quarantined now that someone positive was on set. I'm sure at least one other person will get it.

Alanis looked like a Bratz doll. Not sorry she was eliminated. Her initial audition was good but she was getting worse each time and has very little range. Beane is trying too hard to be Harry Styles. Except Harry never looks like he's trying. Not thrilled by Madison but none of the remaining three were particularly great either so, eh. She's already been rejected by the voters so will probably be out first or second.

The top 12 will be cut down to 9, then last year's 10 contestants will sing for the last slot and take it back up to a Top 10.

• Love 3

It is to be remembered that Harry Styles was, along with his 1D mates, among the rejected soloists from the Bootcamp portion of "X Factor," Season Seven. 

Then Simon made the decision to form groups.....

As for this show, they should  just crown Chayce and be done with it. Yep, calling it now, America.  

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
18 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

As for this show, they should  just crown Chayce and be done with it. Yep, calling it now, America.  

If he doesn't win, then he's getting a record deal from somewhere. Same for Caleb.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I'm really mad about them picking Madison over Graham. Its some bullshit. 

right.

i thought he was great, her, not so much

but then i love willie and thought bean was pretty good

and grace was pretty good but her very unflattering outfit distracted me

• Love 4

Unless Beane and Madison do something amazing, they'll be gone next week, imo. Same thing the following week with whoever they resurrect from S18.

Though they might win or come in second this year, I'm having a hard time imagining either Willie or Grace succeeding in the music world as it currently exists. He's too old fashioned and weird looking (even if he loses more weight), and she's kind of generic, unless she's willing to exploit her 'unusual' figure in the vein of Lizzo/Cardi/Megan. 

I got a kick out of seeing Paula, still bumbling incoherently through the judging. Jeez, the 'STD' and 'breastfeeding' comments.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Wished Graham had made it.   I could listen to him all of the time.  Really disappointed.

Madison has to be older than we think.  

Not a fan of Caleb.  I know he's young, but show some personality!  You're gonna need it if your career progresses.

Katy probably didn't like Paula getting the attention.  Or, maybe she's matured since becoming a mother.

The last show before this wasn't live, and maybe it was taped a while ago and the rest of them hadn't been around him between that show and this one.  Just a thought.

• Love 6

I couldn't get through most of these performances.

I did like Hunter's version of the Bonnie Raitt song.  I apologize to fans of Bonnie if he wasn't very good, but that sounded nice to me.

I listened to Willie, Grace, Casey.  The rest I could barely get through because I didn't really know the songs or if I knew the song, the singer was trying to mutilate it (Hotline Bling).

The judges (Katy?) are obsessed with Madison to a dangerous degree.  The producers' picks are showing.

Was DeShawn's version of Higher Ground as bad as it sounded to me?  Same with Alyssa's version of the Whitney song.  She was acting very goofy and winky......  It was odd.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I couldn't get through most of these performances.

I did like Hunter's version of the Bonnie Raitt song.  I apologize to fans of Bonnie if he wasn't very good, but that sounded nice to me.

I listened to Willie, Grace, Casey.  The rest I could barely get through because I didn't really know the songs or if I knew the song, the singer was trying to mutilate it (Hotline Bling).

The judges (Katy?) are obsessed with Madison to a dangerous degree.  The producers' picks are showing.

Was DeShawn's version of Higher Ground as bad as it sounded to me?  Same with Alyssa's version of the Whitney song.  She was acting very goofy and winky......  It was odd.  

So agree about DeShawn and Alyssa.  I thought Alyssa’s voice just seemed “off.  I also knew both those songs well so was disappointed in the quality.  I also found it hard and ended up FF’d through some because I didn’t really care at this point when they had not been voted into the top 10 anyway.  

I am not a fan of Madison even though technically she sounds ok.  I do like Beane though.

Katie must be a bit freaked out about Luke’s covid diagnosis and Lionel has already been in quarantine just recently, wow. Hope Luke does ok with it.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SnarkAttack said:

Katy probably didn't like Paula getting the attention.  Or, maybe she's matured since becoming a mother.

Katy is a mother? Of a baby? A human baby? You don’t say! <snark>

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Just a random observation, I thought Ryan looked happier last night than he had in a long long time.

I never liked Paula Abdul, didn't enjoy her last night either. 

I was ok with the results although I would have saved any of the others before Madison.

I don't think I have a favorite at this point and I definitely preferred when they only eliminated one contestant per week.  

• Love 6

The live shows are where it's at for me. I need them in my life.

Unfortunately, I found last night to be a lot of recycled crap. You're only getting a couple opportunities to perform live on this show. Make it count. Prove you can sing more than two songs.

For heaven's sake, in the old model, you couldn't repeat anything and you had 9 or 10 live competition rounds before the finale. Repeats weren't allowed until top 3, and that's because you had to sing 3 songs! 

Chayce is going to win this thing. He's not the best by a mile, but he's at ease on stage and I feel comfortable watching him. Grace, Willie, Madison - even with their massive voices and perfect technique, they put me on pins and needles. I am aware they're competing. Chayce just kind of does his thing and leaves it there. Phil Squared did the same kind of thing, despite having a limited range, and it led him to victory.  Chayce's voice is gravel and honey butter to me, so I ain't gonna be mad about it. Put that man in black leather all day long.

I'm over Beane and his shtick. I'd have kept Graham over him. I also do not get the Hunter Metts appeal. 

What happened to Wyatt???

I was thrilled to see Paula. She looks great. For me, the OG panel of 3 is the only panel that matters. It's pure gold. I miss Simon so much. I know Sprinkles does too. 😉

Alanis Sophia thinks she has Grace's notes, but she doesn't. She has a great belt, and if she could have found a Gaga power ballad to showcase what she has, she'd have made it. She's an alto and she didn't lean into that power. Also, that outfit was a nightmare. 

Ava is too sleepy for me. I feel like she's trying too hard to be some version of Taylor Swift that no one liked. 

DeShawn is a great singer, but besides Feeling Good, he hasn't nailed a performance or song choice for me. It's frustrating because I want to root for him but he keeps letting me down. 

No one should ever sing Whitney. No getting the Alyssa Wray appeal either. I feel like she's reaching but not in the right direction. 

Casey is like a baby Joplin. She is cute but she performs with a cool androgynous energy. She's not trying to be a pretty princess and that will serve her well here. However, everything she sings sounds the same at this point. 

Cassandra picked a good song but failed to deliver. She got lost somewhere in the middle and never quite found her way out of the woods.

Overall, a lackluster set of performances. I hope we can take it up a notch next week. 

Edited by thesupremediva1
I almost know the singer’s names
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, DietCokeJunkie said:

All of her outfits are unflattering. A stylist needs to help her, STAT!

I think they did gave stylists for this show. The judges made some comments re: that.  One that I remember is that they made fun of Chayse's jeans (skinny jeans?) And Chayse agreed and said he was happy that he was put all in black.

I think Alyssa needs flowy dresses or skirts.

5 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I got a kick out of seeing Paula, still bumbling incoherently through the judging. Jeez, the 'STD' and 'breastfeeding' comments.

I cringed at the std comment.  Thought it was rude.

The breastfeeding comment was just dumb. 

2 hours ago, ms gilly said:

Katy is a mother? Of a baby? A human baby? You don’t say! <snark>

As Paula would say, "I wonder what she's breastfeeding it!"

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Caleb is a great singer but besides Feeling Good, he hasn't nailed a performance or song choice for me.

That was DeShawn 🙂. Tell us what you think about actual Caleb, who's the mullet-sporting, grunty 16 yr. old country guy (who will probably be top 3, if that's what they have this year).

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, sempervivum said:

That was DeShawn 🙂. Tell us what you think about actual Caleb, who's the mullet-sporting, grunty 16 yr. old country guy (who will probably be top 3, if that's what they have this year).

Omg - it says a lot about those two that I GENUINELY confused their names when they could not look or sound more different!!

DeShawn - I’m going to remember your name and keep rooting for you. 

Caleb - I can’t really warm up to you. I few like you keep singing the same song and never stretching. That said, country is its own thing and I am sure you could make a career in that arena.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Some belated, belated thoughts.

Having Pauler back on the judges panel was a little weird. Although she did calm KP down a little...and she cheered Ryan up some.

Just based on the 5 "sing for their life" performances, it should've been Graham and Beane (I guess) that were saved. Colin & Alanis had really rough goes, and Madison made Hotline Bling almost unrecognizable (and not in a good way).

I wonder who got Wyatt's spot in the Top 10 because he absolutely would've been in there. I'll say maybe Deshawn?

Casey, Deshawn, and Cassandra got short straws. Someone on the production side must have realized that the show was moving too fast after Cassandra performed, so all of the Top 10 after those 3 got some feedback after they sang their "victory" songs..

I agree with all the previous comments about Grace needing some styling help. How exactly does one style for her unique body shape?

So the Top 12 is composed of 2 Rockers (Casey & Chayce), a Country Rocker (Caleb), an ethereal Indy MPDG (Cassandra), a throwback folkie teen who could pass for 30 (Ava), 4 largely interchangeable belters (Alyssa, Grace, Madison, & Willie), a WG usually WG who has a nails on a chalkboard voice (Hunter), an increasingly Glambert-esque Music Theatre kid (Beane), and Deshawn who I guess is this season's slightly more current R&B representative..

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Chayce is going to win this thing. He's not the best by a mile, but he's at ease on stage and I feel comfortable watching him. Grace, Willie, Madison - even with their massive voices and perfect technique, they put me on pins and needles. I am aware they're competing. Chayce just kind of does his thing and leaves it there. Phil Squared did the same kind of thing, despite having a limited range, and it led him to victory.  Chayce's voice is gravel and honey butter to me, so I ain't gonna be mad about it. Put that man in black leather all day long.

Gawd, I hope it's not Chayce.  He doesn't bring any thing that we haven't seen before.  And he has a sob story.  I actually thought Wyatt was best of the guys with guitars.

• Love 4

I actually don't mind how they are styling Grace. I think she looks fine. The only thing they could try is a flowy kind of dress. She has a small waist with wide hips, so I get that they are trying to accentuate that.

I still can't stand how Ava pronounces her words. It's off-putting and a shame since she's not a bad singer.

Cassandra's performance has moments of brilliance but also moments of mess. She's very talented but too much of an amateur at this point for this stage. If she has a little more stage experience, she could do really well. But at this rate, I don't think she has enough time to hone her stage craft or overcome her stage fright and that will overshadow her talent. If she's appears nervous but still deliver good vocals it's one thing but it seems her nervous energy is bleeding into her vocals. This format of making them compete right after they just receive the good/bad news also doesn't help. I hate it, actually. I'm sure the contestants do as well.

• Love 4
On 4/13/2021 at 12:50 AM, ms gilly said:

I don’t know how it’s even possible to make a Drake song sound dated and cheesy but Madison did it. As Mr. Gilly said, that outfit alone should have gotten her eliminated. All I can figure is that the producers or whoever wanted to clear lanes for Ava and Chayce, and Madison (with no lane at all) was the only option from the bottom 5 batch that won’t be a threat in America’s vote next week. Still, go to hell, show, for making us suffer through another week of her pageanty mugging, ghastly performances, overly pink and spangly getups, and that hair....

My bf and I now call her Sideshow Bob.  For a hair model, that hair was BAD.  The outfits are all too pagenty for me as well.  She doesn't have a bad voice - I think if she was a little more natural in her style instead of trying so hard, I might like her better. I was not happy the judges let her though.

Not looking forward to the TWIST next week.  Just let this year's group shine in their own way and leave the others in last season where they belong. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, waving feather said:

I still can't stand how Ava pronounces her words. It's off-putting and a shame since she's not a bad singer.

I know, I wish someone would tell her to tone it down, but since it's so trendy now, no one there probably thinks it's a problem. Wish there was a way to get word to her, it's really pulling her down in my book.

1 minute ago, radiochik said:

My bf and I now call her Sideshow Bob.  For a hair model, that hair was BAD. 

I told my husband she looked like Marge Simpson with her hair up like that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I find Alyssa and Grace SO BORING. Who is voting for these people? And why? 

Madison looks 37. 

I liked Alanis. At least she was interesting. I like Cassandra too, although it appears the judges are required to comment that she “seems nervous” every time she sets foot on stage. 

• Love 5

I'm so mad for poor Graham.  He's legit talented and seems authentic, compared to someone so completely manufactured like Madison (though given the target demo-- I suppose I can understand the decision...)

I don't know why but I can't stand Beane.  He is a good singer but there's just something about him that screams "drama kid who thinks he's hot sh*t."  But everyone keeps calling him a good guy so I'm willing to concede that it might just be me.

Agree that Ava has a GREAT VOICE but you know when you hear a song you like and you find out the artist is British and it's such a shock because they have absolutely no trace of an accent when they sing?  Ava has the opposite problem, she pronounces words as if she has like a Norwegian accent, it is so strange to hear her talk like a normal 15 year old 

I like Willie but I actually think his acapella version is better.  Adding in the full band didn't improve his performance in any way.

Alanis... ... .........  well look, I'm no fashionista and let's just say dressing someone in that age group is not my wheelhouse but boy oh boy I thought she stumbled off the set of Strawberry Shortcake's Springtime Slumber Party.  I did not understand it at all.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
20 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

I was thrilled to see Paula. She looks great. For me, the OG panel of 3 is the only panel that matters. It's pure gold. I miss Simon so much. I know Sprinkles does too. 😉

The OG panel of three was what made this show what it was and the new panels have just downgraded ever since, even if we've gotten some good judges individually (Keith Urban, and I actually liked Harry Connick Jr. I think he just came off badly because he was trying to be Simon when J. Lo and Keith were both Randys.) Hoping for a speedy and full recovery for Luke.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, ruffy666 said:

I don't know why but I can't stand Beane.  He is a good singer but there's just something about him that screams "drama kid who thinks he's hot sh*t."  But everyone keeps calling him a good guy so I'm willing to concede that it might just be me.

Not just you.

If you ever watched "Glee", he still dreams of being "Kurt Hummel". 

He makes me twitchy, and I just want to tell him to calm the F$#^ down.  And the pseudo-makeup is lame.  Commit or ditch it altogether.  

• Love 5
4 hours ago, ForReal said:
4 hours ago, radiochik said:

My bf and I now call her Sideshow Bob.  For a hair model, that hair was BAD. 

I told my husband she looked like Marge Simpson with her hair up like that.

3 hours ago, ruffy666 said:

Ava has the opposite problem, she pronounces words as if she has like a Norwegian accent,

3 hours ago, ruffy666 said:

but boy oh boy I thought she stumbled off the set of Strawberry Shortcake's Springtime Slumber Party. 

I am dying—you guys are hilarious. It’s been at least 15 years since I posted (back then on TWOP). This here is old school snark—thanks for making my day.  On that note, someone keeps using the boo-hoo emoji whenever I snark on Katy and her wigged-out narcissism. If you’re Katy or an AI intern, please reveal yourself! Probably not going to stop me, though!

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

My issue with Beane as I stated once before is that we've gotten 3 distinctly different versions of him and we aren't even top 10 yet. If the Glam with makeup, pop artist with slight tinges of Electronic/Dance music was really Beane all along why did we (and the judges) get Mr. Roger's Beane in his initial song? Why we detour into Standards Rock for Benny and the Jets? Why did we detour into Soul music with his Marvin Gaye cover? Sometimes the ability to be Chameleon really helps contestants but I think the way Beane has presented himself he's actually doing himself a disservice. I find it hard to believe that he'll survive the 12 to 9 cut down unless a couple contestants you wouldn't expect have meltdowns or blah performances unexpectedly puting themselves along with Madison and maybe Cassandra/Deshawn..

Does anybody remember Puffy's Girl Group "Dream"? Alanis's pink pants were straight from their "He Loves U Not" music video 🙂

Moving forward and speculating, it feels like the Top 5 is largely set even now. I'd be surprised if the Top 5 is not Casey, Chayce, Grace, Willie, & the Comeback WC from last season (assuming it is who I think it will end up being). I think Caleb maybe has the best shot to knock someone out and get into that mix. I feel like Beane, Madison, & Deshawn will struggle to avoid the 12 to 9 cut down coming this weekend. And then that just leaves Cassandra, Hunter and Alyssa to go out in some random order. I suppose I shouldn't underestimate the power of a WGWG on AI but I just hate Hunter's voice so much the thought of him lasting till the Top 6 or Top 5 even just absolutely breaks my brain..

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 3
On 4/15/2021 at 10:04 AM, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

I'd be surprised if the Top 5 is not Casey, Chayce, Grace, Willie, & the Comeback WC from last season (assuming it is who I think it will end up being). I think Caleb maybe has the best shot to knock someone out and get into that mix. I feel like Beane, Madison, & Deshawn will struggle to avoid the 12 to 9 cut down coming this weekend. And then that just leaves Cassandra, Hunter and Alyssa to go out in some random order.

You forgot Ava.🙂 

• Love 2
On 4/14/2021 at 12:00 PM, ruffy666 said:

Alanis... ... .........  well look, I'm no fashionista and let's just say dressing someone in that age group is not my wheelhouse but boy oh boy I thought she stumbled off the set of Strawberry Shortcake's Springtime Slumber Party.  I did not understand it at all.

LOL, that's actually spot on. I'd been thinking it had a Punky Brewster feel to it, but Strawberry Shortcake is closer. Those pants were SO huge. Much as I'll be thrilled to see the end of this godawful skinny pants trend, I don't want THAT to be the next fad. 

Edited by ljenkins782
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1