Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E09: Rachael Ray Show

• Start Topic

Testing their abilities to think on their feet and react to any situation thrown at them, the finalists are tasked with solving a culinary problem for a Rachael Ray viewer. They must each create a dish that addresses the viewer's problem, then perform a demo of the dish on the Rachael Ray Show. The Selection Committee watches the action backstage and determines who will continue.

NOTE FROM THE MOD UNDERSTUDY:

Guys, I moved a bunch of posts talking about what happened on the Rachel Ray show Friday (when the FNS contestants made their appearances, which will actually be on FNS episode tonight).  I changed the name of the Speculation thread to Spoilers and Spoiled Speculation cause it looked like we didn't have a place for spoilers and discussion.

Please take all pre-airing discussion of what happened or didn't on the RR show there.  Thanks.

(edited)

When they walked into the FN offices, showed the chef photos on the walls & Sarah says "I want to be on that wall!", I actually yelled at my TV, "By all that is holy, you will NEVER be on that wall!!!"

She has ALWAYS got to be the loudest, most dramatic, OMG!  WHOA!  NO WAY! WHAAAT?  I hope she has a coronary. And somebody make her stop waving her hands!!

The market task was kind of meh.  They TOLD them what to get, so where is the interest in that?  Luca has the biggest pop-eyes, in his talking heads.  Creepy. But he actually did well.  Sarah was an epic fail. Biting that melon was NOT cute. She didn't even taste it before blabbing about it!  Lenny was ok, but I agree he was a little out of control.  Loreal started ok, but then bit it in the end. 

I didn't read any of the Rachel Ray spoilers.  All the actual dishes they were cooking sounded good, but not necessarily appropriate for their individual assignments

Luca did pretty well again, but he should have kept the cauli hidden & explained the sauce.

What the hell was Sarah wearing? A tropical dress and leather boots? WTF? They liked the soup but she sucked.

Loreal sucked, and she knew it.  She deserved to go.

Lenny really engaged the family & despite the crotch gaff, he did well. 

I think Bobby looks kinda hot in those hipster glasses. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 3

Damnit!!!! so close..so close..and yet she stays yet again.  I wish it was anybody else with her on the bottom because she would have gone.  I knew Loreal was dead meat.

I am calling Nicole to go next week.

Oh good Bob and Suzie next week. 

• Love 2

Thank you, thank you!!  No more Hair Product!!  I would have liked to be rid of Sarah too, but we can't have everything.

So they are putting four people through to next week, but then  only three do pilots?

I wonder who caught Lenny's hat?

Two minutes into the show and I was yelling at Sarah to shut up. And I caught a few of her grins when others were being criticized. The camera person they have pinned on her is good. I cackled with glee to watch her smug face fall when they told her she wasn't interesting.

• Love 5

I pretty much called it that LOreal would be leaving after her performance on RR and in the first challenge. Nicole shouldn't have been safe before Sarah because the kid spit out her food because it was too spicy. What the hell did they do with Luca to have him improve so much? It makes me wonder if they're not grooming him for the win.... The comeback kid. He was eliminated once and came back and won the whole thing. My vote is still for Lenny. He's a natural or at least more consistent than the others.

How long has Loreal actually been working as a butcher? Because she didn't seem to know a whole lot about meat. Why did she call the butterflied chicken breast a "book fold"? I think Alton was having the same thoughts.

• Love 3

I wonder who caught Lenny's hat?

Two minutes into the show and I was yelling at Sarah to shut up. And I caught a few of her grins when others were being criticized. The camera person they have pinned on her is good. I cackled with glee to watch her smug face fall when they told her she wasn't interesting.

Yeah I caught the grin too and was happy that they were critical with her feedback. Serves her right. She couldn't have thought she did a good job during her demo. She hardly acknowledged the family she was helping and never even acknowledged the audience. I'm glad she was taken down a few notches.

How long has Loreal actually been working as a butcher? Because she didn't seem to know a whole lot about meat. Why did she call the butterflied chicken breast a "book fold"? I think Alton was having the same thoughts.

I think that L'Oreal is one of those people who has the knowledge about meats but just isn't able to explain it to people.

• Love 3

It was amazing how different Giada's demeanor was when judging the men compared to her judging the women. She was literally squeeing when Luca was presenting. And every word out of Lenny's mouth was a good story/tip.

I thought that Lenny did well considering that he split his "britches" on camera and was able to cover it up.

Maybe that will teach him to buy jeans that fit. I mean splitting blue jeans simply by bending over? Actually I'm tempted to call shenanigans on it. He couldn't be his usual over the top self on Rachel's show so, "Oh, see how I did even after I split my jeans!"

• Love 4

They should've have put them on The Chew for a test, I can't imagine siracha would have made it past any of the hosts there. I was waiting for the kids to have a peanut allergy. In any case we got rid of Butcher Babe. At least Sarah managed to actually explain something tasty and easy, as opposed to wrapping up a chicken breast in twine.

So is Luca some relative of Giada's? Lenny doesn't start with "so what exactly is savory yogurt and why?"

Another year and no one's show I would watch.

It was amazing how different Giada's demeanor was when judging the men compared to her judging the women. She was literally squeeing when Luca was presenting. And every word out of Lenny's mouth was a good story/tip.

Maybe that will teach him to buy jeans that fit. I mean splitting blue jeans simply by bending over? Actually I'm tempted to call shenanigans on it. He couldn't be his usual over the top self on Rachel's show so, "Oh, see how I did even after I split my jeans!"

I think he handled it well. Rachael knew what happened and the family knew but he never let the audience know what happened. He made a couple of missteps like not telling everyone what he was making, but he gave a couple of good tips that Giada and Bobby liked, and the family liked his food.

They should've have put them on The Chew for a test, I can't imagine siracha would have made it past any of the hosts there. I was waiting for the kids to have a peanut allergy. In any case we got rid of Butcher Babe. At least Sarah managed to actually explain something tasty and easy, as opposed to wrapping up a chicken breast in twine.

So is Luca some relative of Giada's? Lenny doesn't start with "so what exactly is savory yogurt and why?"

Another year and no one's show I would watch.

I don't remember if Nicole has kids (we know Sarah does because she reminds us all the time), if she doesn't that explains her not knowing kids might not like sriracha.

Hair Product should have been gone last week.  Good riddance.

Now I don't have to hear about the effing Butcher Babe EVERY. DAMN. 30. SECONDS.

Oh, and in the preview at the end of the show -- The Lone Star Kitchen for Sarah? Are you freaking serious? It's like The Pioneer Woman, only with a more insufferable bitch!

• Love 4

Does Sarah dress herself that way on purpose?  Or is her style a Texas thing?  It was such a distraction, that giant necklace and shoulder-baring...dress, or whatever, that she wore to go on live television.  With boots, of course. 

I'm shocked she's still here because I thought she was only around to absorb viewer hate until the competition got serious around the top 6.  I still think that's why she's here- she pulls focus so others don't seem quite as annoying, and she reacts to everything like she's new to life- I'm just surprised they needed her this long.  Shouldn't one of the others have emerged as an engaging reality tv contestant (y'know, kind of a tv personality) by now?

I'm sure other things besides her happened, I just can't remember them.  And I watched "True Blood" right before this, so I may be blurring her and Sarah Newlin on that show into one person (with the over-the-top perkiness and way of becoming the center of things).  

Oh- Alton's faces.  I remember Alton's facial expressions, because he is clearly miserable.  It's kind of fascinating.

• Love 2

I don't remember if Nicole has kids (we know Sarah does because she reminds us all the time), if she doesn't that explains her not knowing kids might not like sriracha.

I don't have kids, or even nieces and nephews, and I don't ever cook for kids, but even I know that they generally don't like really spicy food (unless they were brought up eating it) so I would know to either not include sriracha it in the dish at all or to make a separate, less spicy version for the younger eaters.

• Love 2

I know Lenny did well but I just can't stand him and his chuck wagon personality. He didn't even try with the savory yogurt stuff (although I admit that was a hard one). Also can't stand Sara, so I'm left with Nicole and Luca. I thought Luca did a good job and he could 't really hide the cauliflower from the kids or the viewers at home wouldn't know what it was. Kids can be really picky though and these kids probably don't eat anything thats not chicken nuggets or mac and cheese. In Nicole's case though, she should have some idea that little kids (and some adults) can't handle heavy doses of Srichaca sauce.

I don't know why Loreal thought her expensive and complicated dish would qualify for a quick and budget friendly one. I think she didn't care at all about the family, just wanted to be 'butcher babe' again.

I always find these kind of segments kind of dumb. All of these families would fair much better at finding a cookbook with many recipes that fit their 'problem". No family is going to survive on one particular dish. It would even make more sense to me to describe several ways to make something rather that one particular thing to solve all of their family dinner problems. 

• Love 3

I wish it was anybody else with her on the bottom because she would have gone.  I knew Loreal was dead meat.

Perfect choice of words for the Butcher Babe! 

I pretty much called it that LOreal would be leaving after her performance on RR and in the first challenge. Nicole shouldn't have been safe before Sarah because the kid spit out her food because it was too spicy. What the hell did they do with Luca to have him improve so much? It makes me wonder if they're not grooming him for the win.... The comeback kid. He was eliminated once and came back and won the whole thing. My vote is still for Lenny. He's a natural or at least more consistent than the others.

I have to admit I found Lucas to be VERY charming the last couple of weeks. I know its a given he got help from Star Salvation but damn if he isnt proving to be the total opposite of Lovely, she who won Star Salvation only to get booted the week she came back

• Love 1
(edited)

Does Sarah dress herself that way on purpose? Or is her style a Texas thing? It was such a distraction, that giant necklace and shoulder-baring...dress, or whatever, that she wore to go on live television. With boots, of course.

I'm shocked she's still here because I thought she was only around to absorb viewer hate until the competition got serious around the top 6. I still think that's why she's here- she pulls focus so others don't seem quite as annoying, and she reacts to everything like she's new to life- I'm just surprised they needed her this long. Shouldn't one of the others have emerged as an engaging reality tv contestant (y'know, kind of a tv personality) by now?

I'm sure other things besides her happened, I just can't remember them. And I watched "True Blood" right before this, so I may be blurring her and Sarah Newlin on that show into one person (with the over-the-top perkiness and way of becoming the center of things).

Oh- Alton's faces. I remember Alton's facial expressions, because he is clearly miserable. It's kind of fascinating.

Sarah is there for the entertainment value lol. The dress she wore was awful. She does not have the figure for it and she was about to fall out of the dress and expose "the girls" for all to see. I liked what Nicole and The BB wore. They looked appropriate for going on TV. Poor Alton, I don't think he'd pay a plug nickel for any of them to win but this was the deck they were dealt. I didn't see Giada being really bitchy though. I think she gave a very fair evaluation of their performances male and female. I also do think that the men did better overall than the women. I'm not a Giada fan, but I do give credit where it is due. She also gave L'Oreal a chance to explain about the pork butt and show her knowledge of meats. Both men did do a good job on RR even if the kids wouldn't eat Luca's food.

I don't have kids, or even nieces and nephews, and I don't ever cook for kids, but even I know that they generally don't like really spicy food (unless they were brought up eating it) so I would know to either not include sriracha it in the dish at all or to make a separate, less spicy version for the younger eaters.

You know and I know and probably others know but some people are just clueless about those things. Nothing wrong with that.

Perfect choice of words for the Butcher Babe!

I have to admit I found Lucas to be VERY charming the last couple of weeks. I know its a given he got help from Star Salvation but damn if he isnt proving to be the total opposite of Lovely, she who won Star Salvation only to get booted the week she came back

I think that there were some other things going on behind the scenes to make Luca all of a sudden so proficient at being a potential host. Either he got some extra behind the scenes extensive help or they were pulling the wool over our eyes snd he wasn't as bad as he initially was and it's just a way of adding some drama to the show. He's just too relaxed and in control so I'm thinking he was proficient all along and they eliminated him at first for ratings or he has had extensive and intensive training and coaching beyond Star Salvation. Edited by SusannahTaylor3
  • Love 1

I could have rocked Sarah's challenge. When the kids were at home, I would make a large pot of tomato sauce with meat. First meal was spaggetti, second meal I added pinto beans, chili powder and cumin for a quick chili and finished it off for a third mean as burrito filling.

• Love 6
(edited)

I could have rocked Sarah's challenge. When the kids were at home, I would make a large pot of tomato sauce with meat. First meal was spaggetti, second meal I added pinto beans, chili powder and cumin for a quick chili and finished it off for a third mean as burrito filling.

I agree that Sarah's looked very easy but that was the objective of the show. The family liked it but they didn't seem like really picky kids to me and would have eaten whatever Sarah cooked.

L'Oreal's food had too many steps. You could see the couple were not very impressed. They wanted something fast and easy which her meal wasn't.

Edited by SusannahTaylor3
  • Love 1

Thanks for the updates, everyone.  

I think roasting or frying cauliflower would be more successful than pureeing it for children.  Purees don't look appealing to kids.

I would rather have seen Sarah leave than Loreal.  Loreal is never going to win, so she wouldn't be real competition, but I'm getting this sick feeling in the pit of my stomach about Sarah.  My new mantra is:  I don't care.  I don't care.  I don't care.  Dang, I still care.

(edited)

Thanks for the updates, everyone.

I think roasting or frying cauliflower would be more successful than pureeing it for children. Purees don't look appealing to kids.

I would rather have seen Sarah leave than Loreal. Loreal is never going to win, so she wouldn't be real competition, but I'm getting this sick feeling in the pit of my stomach about Sarah. My new mantra is: I don't care. I don't care. I don't care. Dang, I still care.

True and they didn't like veggies and knew that he wad using cauliflower instead of rice. There are so many other foods to fix with veggies that he could have used instead. Ideally, they should have had the kids off stage while the food was being prepared so they wouldn't know it was a vegetable. They might have eaten it then.

I wouldn't worry. I don't see Sarah winning. She makes too many mistakes still and is not polished. She wouldn't be camera ready right away. I don't think her concept is very interesting either. I think she's there for the snark factor. She's the only one who really tears the other contestants apart in her interviews. I seriously think it's either Lenny or Luca for the win. The only thing is that Giada had the Italian theme so it wouldn't make sense that Luca would do Italian.

I can see Sarah being eliminated next week and the final 3 being Nicole, Lenny, and Luca.

• Love 2
(edited)

It seems like FN has already given Sarah her own show - this one.  Gah.  I wonder if the producers who decided to feature her in the lion's share of THs have been astonished and perplexed to learn that most of the viewing public loathes her. 

I thought Luca's only real mistake was not explaining his sauce.  Otherwise, he was charming.  The kids might have tried his dish if they hadn't been sitting right there watching him make it with a vegetable they don't like.

Lenny needs to dial it down a bit but I still like him.  He comes across like Jeff Mauro did before he hit his stride - too wound up.  Otherwise, he seems like a nice guy and he relates to the people around him. 

I didn't care for Loreal throughout so I was glad to see her go.  Nothing about her appealed to me.  I just read her exit interview and she sounds absolutely juvenile and delusional.  Even so, I'd rather her than Sarah.

Nicole seems real but she's boring.  I can sort of understand using a little Sriracha as an ingredient for flavoring but squirting it full strength on a plate for little kids was remarkably bad judgment. 

I hope Sarah goes next week but I suspect it might be Nicole.

Edited by mlp
  • Love 1
(edited)

Sometimes I don't know if I'm watching the same show as the judges.  I thought Lenny totally messed up this week and yet they seemed to love him.  He was a total joke with the savory yogurt thing and I thought his performance on the RR show was almost as bad.  Then again I saw the entire thing on the RR show first and thought they edited it to make it look better on tonight's episode.  I would like to know just how that chicken dish has anything to do with so-called "Cowboy Cuisine".  It looked more like something RR herself would make on 30 minute meals.  Then when he brought in the bit about splitting his pants and raised his leg, I knew for sure right then and there that he's a clown paid to be there just to be entertainment for THIS show, not for any other.  Then again the public seems to like him although I just don't see what is interesting about him.  He wears thin real fast.  I don't even think he'd keep people interested long enough for an infomercial let alone an entire career.  I think he's a nice guy but when he's being himself he's boring.  He can only entertain by being a buffoon and a clown.  Someone else compared him to Jeff Mauro but I disagree.  I think Jeff is WYSIWYG, but Lenny is covered over in so many layers of schtick it's hard to see the real guy, and if I did I think I'd want to see less of him, to be honest.

OMG Sarah is on my last freaking nerve.  The camera can't find an angle where she looks good.  There's something very slightly asymetrical about her face that makes it uncomfortable to focus on her.  And then either her head is cocked or her lips are in a strange pout with shiny lip gloss or her hair is just not sitting right or whatever.  Not to mention her awful personality.  I just can't take it anymore.  Why are the judges letting her move on?

I really thought Nicole did better than they gave her credit for.  I agree that sriracha is not the best choice for kids but I thought her presentation was by far the best of the lot next to Luca and she seems to have a nice personality that is coming out more and more with each challenge.  I actually think could watch her and not be annoyed (which I can't say for most of these contestants).  I don't understand why the judges made a deal with the kid who spit out her food when Luca had a kid who wouldn't even eat his dish and they just made excuses for it.

Luca did very well tonight.  I really don't think anyone should have to explain what bolognese sauce is to anyone these days.  If they don't know they've been living under a rock and that's their fault.  Does Rachael explain what bolognese sauce is these days when she makes it?  I don't think so.  Luca is kind of growing on me but then again I'm still not blown away.

It was too bad about Loreal but she really did deserve to go.  Not being able to think on your feet and come up with a quick answer is a deal breaker in that business.  And yeah, that "I'm an artist" BS in her exit interview was really wackadoodle.

Edited by Intuition
  • Love 1

I probably dislike Loreal even more than I do Sarah so I'm happy with the results but man, I wish both of them had gone a while back. Sarah is dumb, loud and not engaging but I think she's genuinely all of those things. Loreal is phony. Everything about her feels like its put on. The accent, the styling, the "badassery" none of it feels like its real. They're all gimmicks; whether they're gimmicks for the show or gimmicks she uses in her real life I don't know but I know that I don't believe her for a second. 

Lenny's their choice to win this thing. The decks are being cleared for him. (Loreal was the other big personality/character and now she's gone and most of the actual food authorities were sent home weeks ago.) The edits are positive and even when they show him doing poorly, they turn around and redeem it. I think he makes sense as the winner of this show, but I'm not interested in watching him down the road. This year, there's not one I'd really want to watch.

Nicole was amazing in the live challenge and Luca was strong in both. Neither will win because they're not flashy enough but they had real promise. 

• Love 2

Nicole was amazing in the live challenge and Luca was strong in both. Neither will win because they're not flashy enough but they had real promise.

I wouldn't assume that - Last year everyone thought the same thing about "Pie Style" but Damaris won over him anyway.  So there's still hope for humanity yet.

• Love 3

Something I noticed abotu the editing -  Sarah was shown complimenting Nicole's dish   and Loreal's, and her positive comments were contrasted with her  interviews which trashed both competitor's efforts.   So she's shown saying to someone's face "Wow, great, i like it"  and in the next instant to the camera "What were they thinking?" 

While I know the comments to the camera were done later, it makes her look like a bitch.  

So, to sarah, I have this  to say -  "That outfit looks fantastic! You never looked better"     And to everyone here, "Can you believe what she was  wearing? she looked awful!  and the pageant hair!" 

• Love 8

I wouldn't assume that - Last year everyone thought the same thing about "Pie Style" but Damaris won over him anyway.  So there's still hope for humanity yet.

I know you shouldn't assume, but I cant see either of those two winning. I do think that they are editing the show for a Lenny or a Luca win. Bobby and Giada have commented more than once on Sunday's show that Luca is so charming and he's done a 180 degree turn around. Nicole keeps improving and I see her at the final 3 but no farther than that.  I think it will go between Luca and Lenny with Lenny for the win. That's just my prediction. Will I watch any of them? Probably not, but I don't watch Damaris' show either of Jeff Mauro's to be honest. I would be curious to know what Alton Brown thinks of tonight's elimination. I think all three judges felt that L'Oreal was the right choice for elimination.

Something I noticed abotu the editing -  Sarah was shown complimenting Nicole's dish   and Loreal's, and her positive comments were contrasted with her  interviews which trashed both competitor's efforts.   So she's shown saying to someone's face "Wow, great, i like it"  and in the next instant to the camera "What were they thinking?" 

While I know the comments to the camera were done later, it makes her look like a bitch.  

So, to sarah, I have this  to say -  "That outfit looks fantastic! You never looked better"     And to everyone here, "Can you believe what she was  wearing? she looked awful!  and the pageant hair!" 

I thought she was being a bit of a douchebag to them in the moment, especially Nicole with the sauce.  Her compliment came off to me as totally fake. 

I completely agree with the comment upthread that Luca was either a ringer or was coached in his time off.  I'll add- I still don't find him to be that breathtakingly attractive.  They should just hire Fabio from "Top Chef" if they want this type, imho. 

One question- Lenny's dish was supposed to be budget-conscious, right?  For a large family?  Did they mention food cost at all?  I know they shopped from a pantry, but it seemed like that was sort of the point of his challenge so it should have been mentioned, imho.

• Love 1
(edited)
Sarah was shown complimenting Nicole's dish   and Loreal's, and her positive comments were contrasted with her  interviews which trashed both competitor's efforts.   So she's shown saying to someone's face "Wow, great, i like it"  and in the next instant to the camera "What were they thinking?"

Yep, they're definitely giving her that edit. Although, specifically with the Nicole thing...it didn't read quite as bitchy as it could've to me. I thought it was a little more like a pointed-keeping-to-herself as it played, because the editing hammered the "I like it." IE she said nothing of whether she thought any children might like it. Her facial expression in the moment also gave me that extra impression, but I don't think Nicole was looking at her at the moment she said it. But, to me, there was a look of "I am not telling you my whole thoughts right now."

Edited by theatremouse

Damn, Sarah is still there. I really thought this would be her week to go, especially since Loreal got meat AGAIN in the first challenge. 

I don't have any kids & I never cook for them, but even I know they don't like really spicy foods, & when she poured all that sriracha all over the plate, I gagged there was so much.

I'm curious, when the contestants face the judges to see who's going to be eliminated, the men wear jeans, & the women get all dressed up. I wonder if they do that because they want to, or because the producers want them to.

(edited)

One question- Lenny's dish was supposed to be budget-conscious, right? For a large family? Did they mention food cost at all? I know they shopped from a pantry, but it seemed like that was sort of the point of his challenge so it should have been mentioned, imho.

He mentioned the cost of chicken thighs vs. chicken breast in his 3 and half on Rachel Ray, but they didn't include it in his FNS edit.

He didn't mention the price of his produce and rice or the price per serving or for the entire dish, but during the moments he'd naturally bring those things up, he was seemingly focused on getting his food plated in time and wasn't thinking about the words coming out of his mouth.

I completely agree with the comment upthread that Luca was either a ringer or was coached in his time off. I'll add- I still don't find him to be that breathtakingly attractive. They should just hire Fabio from "Top Chef" if they want this type, imho.

Oh! And he wasn't good enough on Rachael to seem like a ringer or to seem like he had any special coaching in any manner. They're editing him to appear rosier than he was. Probably because he's final 2, but that's just me talking.

Edited by jonaswan2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Damn, Sarah is still there. I really thought this would be her week to go, especially since Loreal got meat AGAIN in the first challenge. 

I don't have any kids & I never cook for them, but even I know they don't like really spicy foods, & when she poured all that sriracha all over the plate, I gagged there was so much.

I'm curious, when the contestants face the judges to see who's going to be eliminated, the men wear jeans, & the women get all dressed up. I wonder if they do that because they want to, or because the producers want them to.

I think giving L'Oreal the meat was their way of being able to finally judge whether she knew anything about meat and could convey the knowledge to the audience. If she failed then she was gone. It was like a last test for her. Sarah got the meat last week and she was successful and also mentioned Texas so she got to go to the final 4. L'Oreal choked and failed so she's gone.

As for the men dressing in jeans while the ladies dress up.... I think its just a girl thing with the dress up. I probably would if I was one of the women too. Lenny and Luca aren't the dress pants/nice shirt type of guys. Both are very casual. The jeans go with Lenny's cowboy schtick and Luca wears the shirts that emphasize his muscles. I agree with the person upthread who didn't think Luca was that attractive.

He mentioned the cost of chicken thighs vs. chicken breast in his 3 and half on Rachel Ray, but they didn't include it in his FNS edit.

He didn't mention the price of his produce and rice or the price per serving or for the entire dish, but during the moments he'd naturally bring those things up, he was seemingly focused on getting his food plated in time and wasn't thinking about the words coming out of his mouth.

It was clearly edited from what actually happened.  I also think that something had to be cut time wise so that part was edited out on the show Sunday night. None of them did a terrific job. They all had something go wrong..... kids wouldn't eat the food, one kid spit out the spicy shrimp, one of them didn't engage with the family and children.. and on and on. They had to have a clear winner or winners tonight and the editing had to show that. I also think that including the part about the cost of chicken and rice didn't add anything to his performance and was something that was just edited out because it wasn't that relevant. I think most people know that chicken is pretty cheap and so is rice so it wasn't something that would make a difference whether he was eliminated or kept another week.

• Love 2

I've decided there is no "star" in this group. Sarah is distractively vapid, the one whose name I can't remember fades into the background, Lenny is a bit of a character, and I can't understand Luca. Thank god the BB is gone. I can't imagine they would ever hire a host as heavily tattooed as her.

However, any of them is preferable to me than LBH.

• Love 3

The RR segment is the kind of a challenge where they can cut just about anyone they want with the reason being somewhat defensible. "The kids didn't like your food, so we had to cut you." "The kids liked your food, but you didn't engage them, so we had to cut you." Not that I'm complaining that the Butcher Babe is gone. The less "Whut Whut!" In my life, the better.

When Lenny the Rodeo Clown split his pants, my kids and I couldn't get the Spongebob "I Ripped My Pants" song out of our heads.

Luca for the win, as a validation of the dopey Star Salvation they stole from Top Chef.

• Love 1

I thought overall Lenny did the best job of engaging the family, kids, and also talking about economics of the meal. When he mentioned how herbs are expensive but you can buy the 99 cent pot of them and the kids can help you plant them to grow your own, I knew he had won this one. He completed his assignment and got an A on his report card.

If Luca were more creative, which he's not in my opinion, he'd have put up a little wall or something and chopped the cauliflower, then whipped out the dish with the flair of a magician or something. Anything to get the kids interested, and make them wonder what he cooked so they might have wanted to try it out. Kids are curious and usually do want something they aren't supposed to have. He might have given some to mom first, so they in turn wanted their own.

• Love 2

I know you shouldn't assume, but I cant see either of those two winning. I do think that they are editing the show for a Lenny or a Luca win. Bobby and Giada have commented more than once on Sunday's show that Luca is so charming and he's done a 180 degree turn around. Nicole keeps improving and I see her at the final 3 but no farther than that.  I think it will go between Luca and Lenny with Lenny for the win. That's just my prediction.

I don't think there's been one season yet when it wasn't between a man and a woman in the finals of this show.  I have always thought TPTB wanted it that way, but I guess anything is possible.   Judging from the voting at the bottom of the screen, Lenny is a fan favorite.  But that still doesn't mean he'll make it to the finale.  If he does, he may just get voted in by the viewers given his popularity, which I still for the life of me can't understand.  I just can't get past his schticky gimmicky act.  I actually would take Luca over him in a heartbeat.

I completely agree with the comment upthread that Luca was either a ringer or was coached in his time off.  I'll add- I still don't find him to be that breathtakingly attractive.  They should just hire Fabio from "Top Chef" if they want this type, imho.

Thank you, that was me and I agree completely.  Luca is no Fabio.  It's a shame that Fabio isn't on his own show right now.  I thought he appeared in a few things after TC but nothing showcased him to maximize his appeal.

Oh! And he wasn't good enough on Rachael to seem like a ringer or to seem like he had any special coaching in any manner. They're editing him to appear rosier than he was. Probably because he's final 2, but that's just me talking.

Actually on the RR show itself, I think Luca did as well as he appeared to do on the edited version we saw last night.   But getting back to him being a ringer or coached, I think if his performance before "Star Salvation" vs. after it were compared side by side, a dramatic improvement would be seen.  Too dramatic to explain in any other way than that he got lessons in English diction, or that he was told to dial back the "foreign".  Perhaps he was told to dial it up a bit in the beginning to be more "attractive", but then they told him it was too much, and when he got it right they let him back into the competition.

(edited)

It was clearly edited from what actually happened.  I also think that something had to be cut time wise so that part was edited out on the show Sunday night. None of them did a terrific job. They all had something go wrong..... kids wouldn't eat the food, one kid spit out the spicy shrimp, one of them didn't engage with the family and children.. and on and on. They had to have a clear winner or winners tonight and the editing had to show that.

I saw both the RR show and last night's FNS, and I definitely think they made Lenny's segment look better in the editing on FNS, and Nicole's look worse.  On the RR show itself it didn't seem like there was any editing but it's hard to tell.  They were on the clock but I'm not sure the clock was in "real time" or not.  I will have to go back and watch Lenny's segment on the RR show to find out if he mentioned the cost of the food.

Edited by Intuition

I seem to remember that L'oreal at one point said she moved somewhere and got a job as a butcher-I don't think she mentioned going to school for it or anything, so I think she tried hard to find a POV, the judges liked BB and so she went with it.  She never seemed to have more knowledge about meat than anyone else.  In fact, it was Lenny who tried to help Emma last week with her unique cut of pork that she didn't know anything about.  I think L'oreal was all fake.  Her, let's make ambrosia by toasting (and ultimately burning) marshmellows.  Even her dish this show, I think it's something she knew how to make so used it.  I am so relieved that she is gone as she just seemed to want to be famous and thought her personality would be enough.

As for Sarah, I could see keeping her this week over L'oreal.  But, she does seem like she is totally out of her element.  As was mentioned above, there really wasn't anything unique about her soup or her presentation.  And to not have tasted that fruit before her live segment?  Ridiculous.  And to shove her head into it and take a huge bite when Giada said something?  Again, ridiculous.  To have really helped her family-make tacos first, then for the leftovers throw everything into the pot with tomato sauce and use the left over taco shells as topping for the soup.  As was mentioned above, make chili, etc.

I think NIcole's problem is that, like Emma, she wants her POV to be international.  Coastal Cuisine focusing on U.S. regional preferences could be a winner.  She wanted to use the sauce to make it more international, so, by golly she did.  Of course, a family used to blander food would not appreciate it.  Whip up an aioli with milder flavors.

Some of the contestants seem like they have a dish in mind and they're going to use it whether or not it fits the particular challenge.  I think Lenny and Luca both try to match the challenge more than the other contestants.

• Love 2

Of the remaining contestants I like Lenny the best for the win.  He's a chef who's also a performer and he's been doing his cowboy chef persona the whole time, but underneath it all I think he's a nice, decent guy who can cook!  I still think he would be good for an after school kids' cooking show.  I think he'd be engaging with kids, especially little boys.  I am so tired of Sarah.  And I am SO GLAD Loreal is gone.  She knew less than I thought she did.  I like Nicole really well, too, but I'm not sure what her show would be unless it is seafood.  Luca - meh. Another cheesy Italian guy getting by on looks and accent.

• Love 5

From the article:

"When Alton Brown is scrupulizing me it's because he really likes me. It's not because he's trying to kick me down in the dirt. It's because he sees something in me and he's frustrated with my lack of consistency,"

Scrupulizing? Is that even a word?! LOL

I think whoever said that Loreal latched on to the Butcher Babe thing without really having the knowledge is right. She should have had no problem talking about that meat. I wonder if she hates herself for the number of times she squealed "I'm the butcher babe!" on this show.

• Love 3