Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E09: Rachael Ray Show

• Start Topic

Y'know, it occurred to me that it's odd that those kids would refuse to try cauliflower.  If they're so special that they only eat a few things, how do they even know what cauliflower is?

I'm beginning to think Mom prepped them with "Now, you're supposed to be picky eaters..."

I suspect mom preps every meal with that sort of attitude and then falls into begging them to eat....like "please do me this favor by eating these vegetables" 

Oprah once said that we teach people how to treat us, and I think that applies to these kids.  Their mom has taught them that them eating is doing her some great big favor, so its a power that they have over her, which I would imagine she reinforces by begging and pleading with them to eat stuff.

• Love 8
(edited)

Oprah once said that we teach people how to treat us, and I think that applies to these kids.  Their mom has taught them that them eating is doing her some great big favor, so its a power that they have over her, which I would imagine she reinforces by begging and pleading with them to eat stuff.

OMG, this, 10,000%!!!  I think this applies to parenting in general, which is why so many young people today seem to have zero respect for their parents or any older "parental" figures.  Their parents have taught them not to respect them by acting like they are the "one down" in the relationship and the kids are the ones in control.  My theory has always been that a lot of parents from my generation didn't want to be too dictatorial with their kids lest they damage them somehow (like they thought their parents were with them) so they ended up begging and pleading with their own kids rather than give out orders.  Note that my own mother did neither so I never grew up with those issues.   Giving me an incentive to eat foods I didn't want to eat still kept her the authority without turning her into a dictator.  Of course she picked things I really, really wanted to make it all the more compelling for me to break down and eat the food.  Then again, the only rule was that I try the food, not eat all of it if I really hated it.  It didn't turn into an exercise in punishment.  God, I miss my mom so much (she died in 2001).....

Edited by Intuition
  • Love 5

Did anyone else catch this same little moment that I did?  I don't know the timing of how the show is filmed, which either means I'm crazy or they could have filmed episodes out of order, but when the 5 finalist walked out to face the judges at the end of this ep, Sarah is wearing a cute, flowy little dress (and, I'm sure, the same stupid cowboy boots from her earlier WTF styling on the Rachael Ray show), and in a long shot, for just an insant where the 5 are standing shoulder to shoulder in front of the judges, she grabs and rubs her belly like there's a baby bump under the flowy skirt.  I rewound and rewatched it just to see if it really looked like that, and I swear it did.  But the previews for next week show her wearing tight button up shirts with a clearly flat midrift.  Given that the RR segments were filmed a while ago but only aired this past week, is it possible they filmed this elimination out of order? 

I really hope she's the next to go.  As I said to the Mr. this week, she's already got her own show.  It's called The Sarah Show, and it airs from midnight to midnight daily in her brain.  Of everybody else, I guess I'm not really rooting for anyone in particular.  None of the contestants excite me.  I'd be okay with a Nicole or Luca win, which probably means Lenny's over the top cowboy shctick will take the prize.

and in a long shot, for just an insant where the 5 are standing shoulder to shoulder in front of the judges, she grabs and rubs her belly like there's a baby bump under the flowy skirt.

Now that you remind me, I did see the same thing you did.  I'm always confused by time-travel movies, so I'm not one to figure out what was taped in what order.  But I do remember thinking that the flowing dress made her look larger than she otherwise seemed to be.  And then the way she was holding her hands made me wonder.

Not sure what any of that means, though.

I am STUNNED at Lenny's video!  Absolutely floored.  The Food Network deserves him.   I so hope he wins, and then can take his demented, fake-cowboy act and call his food disgusting names, and run wild like the lunatic he is.   Has anyone at the Food Network SEEN this atrocity??

Jasmine, not that you (and all of us) haven't been traumatized by ONE Lenny video, I feel the need to inform you that there are TWO ... both have links posted in this forum.  The "brisket" one is far worse than the disastrous "Christmas" one.  I have the shudders just thinking about them!!!XelVk4G.gif

I posted this yesterday, please re-read it so you ALL are familiar with how videos such as this should be posted.

Hey everyone, please post videos and off-topic items in this thread, Food Network in the Media, where you can talk all about the contestants or other aspects of their lives....not the episodes. Recipes that coincide with what you think the cooks shoulda/woulda/coulda made can also go in here. It keeps this thread on point with discussion of the actual episode.

Also, as I stated earlier when the first video was posted, anything with vulgar or questionable language which may not be appropriate or appreciated by all viewers, needs the NSFW (not suitable for work....or your granny....or your kids) warning with your post. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

(edited)

I remember when Guy Fieri was on the NFNS someone copied a sound bite he had on his then website onto the dearly departed TV snark site. He had interactive links where you could change up his look ( hair, beard, glasses etc) and had a link of recordings of him saying Guyisms like: " Money!", " Winner winner chicken dinner...etc. Then there was this one: " Rock out with your **** out!" It was later taken down. It didn't seem to effect his status with FoodNetwork.

ETA: sorry about posting this here. I just saw the mods note. :/

Edited by Evanscody

I thought Loreal seemed really off and affected the last two episodes. Like, maybe she was sick and hitting the cold medicine hard, or killer fatigue really got her. I don't think she was surprised she was going, nor was anyone else.

I know I'm a day late and a dollar short. I DVR everything and then catch up!

When Sarah said that it was time for her to "put up or shut up" I immediately asked "Can we vote on that?"  Shut up Sarah. 

A strapless summer dress is not appropriate for TV - we she first appeared on the RR, it was in a close up, but the camera immediately panned back - I think it is because, in a close up, she looked naked.  I can just imagine the director yelling "Zoom out, zoom out now, this is a family show!"

• Love 2

Not to mention, that particular dress just did her no favors. I think she's an attractive lady, and a breezy summer dress could look lovely on her, but that particular one was not flattering.  It looked very squashy in the boobage department. I wonder if the show gives them any stylists at this point in the game?

Sarah is actually old enough to know which clothes look good on her and which ones don't. That dress was very inappropriate for TV especially on a show where she was presenting menu ideas to families with kids. She is a little plump and that is one instance where a dress like that is a don't with her body type.

As for who should win..... I'm seriously conflicted. Personally, I wouldn't watch any of them because I don't see a star in any of them. Despite Lenny's YouTube video, he still is the most camera ready at this point. He has the personality and the cooking chops. I think he is more what the producers and Bob and Susie are looking for given the direction the channel is heading. They're not looking for someone to show you how to cook. They are looking for personality and excitement along with cooking. Look at Chopped, Cutthroat Kitchen, Restaurant Stakeout, Mystery Diners, Beat Bobby Flay, Triple G, and Restaurant Impossible and many of the other contest type shows they offer. I don't see any of them actually being able to pull something like that off really. Lenny is the closest to what they're looking for.

She is a little plump and that is one instance where a dress like that is a don't with her body type.

She's really not. She's a horrible dresser who wouldn't know a flattering outfit if walked up to her and draped itself on her, but her figure is very cute and not at all plump. Its amazing how unflattering, frumpy and sloppy her clothing choices are because I can see exactly why you'd think so but its more that she has an athletic build that she covers poorly.

• Love 2

She's really not. She's a horrible dresser who wouldn't know a flattering outfit if walked up to her and draped itself on her, but her figure is very cute and not at all plump. Its amazing how unflattering, frumpy and sloppy her clothing choices are because I can see exactly why you'd think so but its more that she has an athletic build that she covers poorly.

I will agree there that the clothes she chooses don't flatter her figure. Its too bad because there are styles that flatter all body types. This is also where a stylist, or even a good friend, could tell her honestly what works and what doesn't work might be needed to help her look for clothes that flatter her instead of make her look frumpy and sloppy. Not every outfit that is in style looks good on everyone. I'm petite, and love the Maxi dresses, but I know that they won't work for me because I am 5'2" and I look like a little girl dressing up in her mommy's dresses.

• Love 1

Sarah is actually old enough to know which clothes look good on her and which ones don't. That dress was very inappropriate for TV especially on a show where she was presenting menu ideas to families with kids. She is a little plump and that is one instance where a dress like that is a don't with her body type.

As for who should win..... I'm seriously conflicted. Personally, I wouldn't watch any of them because I don't see a star in any of them. Despite Lenny's YouTube video, he still is the most camera ready at this point. He has the personality and the cooking chops. I think he is more what the producers and Bob and Susie are looking for given the direction the channel is heading. They're not looking for someone to show you how to cook. They are looking for personality and excitement along with cooking. Look at Chopped, Cutthroat Kitchen, Restaurant Stakeout, Mystery Diners, Beat Bobby Flay, Triple G, and Restaurant Impossible and many of the other contest type shows they offer. I don't see any of them actually being able to pull something like that off really. Lenny is the closest to what they're looking for.

Sarah's dress was very unfortunate.  I'm not sure I would call her plump, maybe more curvy, because she has worn jeans and a tee shirt, and she isn't thin like Nicole, she just has curves, maybe a tiny bit thick.  I kinda, sort of have the same body shape, and never, in a billion years would I wear a dress like that.  And I think those dresses are very pretty....on girls with Nicole's body.  The dresses I wear are structured generally, because they accentuate my chest, and nip in at the waist so the shape can be seen.  Those willowy dresses on chesty/curvy girls just make us look plump.  Now matter how cute those dresses are on the rack, no matter what brand, those dresses always make me look like I'm made of marshmallows.

My vote goes to Luca....because well....you know, the flowing white shirt and what not.  And he really loves his grandma, and well, you know, the flowing white shirt and what not....

• Love 2