Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Hollandaze and Bustiers

• Start Topic

Natasha stays motivated but finds it nearly impossible to keep the galley afloat as Primary Barrie gives her hell at each meal. Gary can’t get any one-on-one time with Alli with Sydney hovering nearby. A beach picnic turns into a fiasco when the tender breaks, leaving nine guests stranded on shore. Natasha and Daisy can’t see eye-to-eye on how to serve the guests, and the department heads nearly come to blows over a hollandaise sauce mishap. A series of heart-to-hearts have Dani considering Jean-Luc as a viable romantic option. Despite some reluctance, the deck team wigs out and puts on a drag show that has the guests raving.

Airdate: 03.29.2021

I know they love the baked beans and toast points in the UK but I could just never go for that.  Give me those poached eggs smothered in hollandaise any time.  I must agree with Daisy that he just wanted poached eggs, bacon and beans.  However, it wasn’t worth running to the captain to tattle.

The daughter looks better without the makeup, but still, those lips.  Did they say what the primary does for a living?  Can’t stand him.

• Love 7

What is the family dynamic here? Who are the kids...belong to what guy, the asshat primary? Then who is his husband and who is his boyfriend and why does he have both there? Is the boyfriend the one his daughter dated? What 4 guys are sharing master bedroom? And why? Why didn't the primary share with his kids like parents do on vacation?

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, Lamima said:

What is the family dynamic here? Who are the kids...belong to what guy, the asshat primary? Then who is his husband and who is his boyfriend and why does he have both there? Is the boyfriend the one his daughter dated? What 4 guys are sharing master bedroom? And why? Why didn't the primary share with his kids like parents do on vacation?

It’s too strange.  Barrie still called his ex husband, his husband, even though he’s going to ask the daughters ex boyfriend to marry him.  I found this and there is a link on it to a Sun article as well.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/below-deck-sailing-yacht-who-are-charter-guests-barrie-tony-drewitt-barlow.html/

• Useful 4

I’m not a chef, but I do know what is aesthetically pleasing. Chef’s plates are not. Liven them up. Put some green at the bottom of the caprese salad, leave the lobster in its shell, etc. Presentation goes a long way.

• Love 12

"Why are you telling me your problems Daisy?" Natasha is a typical Trinidadian,  we are extremely sarcastic when we're angry. 

Daisy is such a snitch,  the eggs situation was not worth running to Captain about. Then she tells the guests that their lunch could be moved up even though she knew Natasha wasn't ready. At this point it seems like she's taking pleasure in making Natasha look bad. Meanwhile she sent the guests to a beach without any drinks.

I would take Dean and bubble guy over this primary any day. He's the absolute worst. I don't like Gary, but you can tell there's a reason why he can't stand Daisy. 

ETA: With his disgusting attitude I'm sure Barrie has eaten  food marinated in mucus on more than one occasion. 

Edited by spunky
  • Love 9

So are the guys a throuple?  Barrie is a major asshole.  And they are all as dull as dish water.  It didn't seem like they wanted to even be there. Didn't come out and watch the sailing. Didn't want to play on the water toys.  Odd people. The sons seem quiet for boys that age.

Why weren't there drinks and snacks sent over to the beach to begin with?  Sitting in the sun, and swimming makes one hungry.  And a large chunk of the guests are growing boys.

• Love 13
9 minutes ago, howiveaddict said:

Why weren't there drinks and snacks sent over to the beach to begin with?  Sitting in the sun, and swimming makes one hungry.  And a large chunk of the guests are growing boys.

Some of them appeared to be drinking beers, but yeah - send them over with a couple pitchers of whatever they’ve been drinking.  And it would have to be 2 different things because if you only send, say margaritas, they would ONLY be able to drink daiquiris or vice versa.  

Barrie is a major pain in the ass.  “Can we get some simple sandwiches?”  “These sandwiches are so basic.”  And seriously, one of the stews couldn’t have helped make sandwiches so chef could focus on the sushi?

• Love 12
30 minutes ago, pieinmyeye said:

I’m not a chef, but I do know what is aesthetically pleasing. Chef’s plates are not. Liven them up. Put some green at the bottom of the caprese salad, leave the lobster in its shell, etc. Presentation goes a long way.

YES!!! 

No veggies just an anemic looking bland lobster tail, no color on the plate, not even a smear of something. The sushi was all the same fish, sushi is always plated so creatively, there weren't any rolls, no roe or crispy things on top, not even a seaweed salad.  I noticed that there were no serving utensils for any of the platters, I am surprised that a chief stew would miss that detail.

The crew is about as bland as the plates that leave the galley.

• Love 7

Probably a dream charter guest to the producers, to be demanding and bitchy.  

Encourage him to be vocal with any criticisms.

If the tip is light, then the crew and Barrie can trash-talk each other on social media.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Emmeline said:

The daughter looks better without the makeup, but still, those lips.

they are so plumped up that they cast a shadow, making it look like she has a mustache!

They ask for "sandwiches" no description. And are upset that they got what looks like your basic French sandwich: meat on baguette. Nothing wrong with that. If they'd gotten SAUCE or anything else they didn't ask for they would have complained about it.

• Love 11
11 hours ago, pieinmyeye said:

Put some green at the bottom of the caprese salad, leave the lobster in its shell, etc. Presentation goes a long way.

And no basil on the caprese????

Why were they bitching about the burrata as if it were Limberger? It's just a very rich mozzarella, which is not typically a "triggering" cheese.

• Useful 2
  • Love 15
6 minutes ago, snarts said:

Plus, is Barrie the only one allowed to speak?

you're right; the rest of them seem bland to the point of invisibility. Your comment made me realize that it's because we don't hear them say a word.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, snarts said:

The lobster looked sad & deflated, and what was the sauce?  Caprese salads definitely should have fresh basil.  

I have noticed that Natasha does not make vegetables or garnish, that lobster tail looked sad is right, she could have at least gotten really big tails, included the shell, you know, cooked then pulled out of it for ease but looks nice on the plate but please make a radish rose or something to make the plates more interesting.

The caprese salad with or without basil would not have made a difference with the guests, nobody but Barrie liked it, I wonder what was on their prefrence sheet.

I do believe that Natasha worked in some high end restaurants but being the sole person in charge of the food may not be a fit for her.

Also, the twerking and such with the little kids at the table was cringy.

• Love 14

Ok. Whoever had the bright idea to completely change out the crew and set poor Glen adrift in the Doldrums with the current crew of interchangeably uninteresting cutouts should be set ashore on the corporate equivalent of Napoleon's Elba. Fail fail fail ! 

It seems as tho' the creators of this aspect of the Real Ships at Sea shows didn't quite grasp this isn't the same "Super yacht" experience as the original or Med. and just decided to cram the same formula onboard the Parsifal.

Instead of refining from the first season they just tossed it all and thus present us viewers with an overcrowded, confusing, for the most part visually interchangeable crew.

Additionally the PTBs seem to have also thought it advisable to cram in every Below Deck cliche 'drama' possible : crew romance / sex triangle, thwarted lust, shy folk & arrogant "overachiever", lazy /  unproductive crew members, black out drinkers, high-strung egotistical chef with competence issues, tension between chief stew & chef,  foreshadowed jealousy between the gals over a guy, interior & deck crew chiefs complaining about each other, mechanical problems with tender, damage to the yacht itself (and a major docking issue to come), a problematic beach " picnic" and now a group of guests that are demanding, unreasonable & IMO repugnant/ repulsive (there is just something wrong with these people! Too much $$= over indulgence in unhealthy foods/ attitudes/ entitlements ? &- as someone mentioned up thread- the youngest boys haven't spoken and seem unnaturally constricted in general. None of them are shown to be exactly happy or enjoying the experience.)

After the disaster of season -before -last Below Deck with Ashton & his crew of abusive resentful woman- hating chowder heads Bravo did at least  try for a mellower reset there. I figure they just sent all the show runners and writers and casting agents responsible for the Bruh-crew disaster over to Sailing Yacht, gave them free hand and ignored the whole thing till air time and thus we have the current mess.

So Bravo. You've done it again- particularly thoroughly in this instance. You've wrecked this ship show.  And we've now removed it from our recording preferences. 💀

• Love 12

Didn't Natasha do very well with previous guests and their dining setups? Or am I mis-remembering? I mean, yeah, she's whiffed on this charter, but NINE PEOPLE. You cut corners where you can (no garnishes when mealtime is moved up earlier, hollandaise on the food instead of in a little pitcher, whatever it is) to try to get the food out all at the same time. NINE PEOPLE. With at least 3 different "menus" (kids, young adults, adults...) I don't think any of the previous BD chefs could handle it either. That's restaurant crew and timing work, with an expediter. I also noticed Barrie said "no buffets" when they said "family style" meals.... the end result being individually plated. Chief Stew (blonde #5??) should have stuck with, "right, no buffets. Breakfast and lunch will be family style, however. These are not buffets..."  (like the big bowl of french fries Nat sent out at dinner.

• Love 13

I have 17 people in my immediate family, and somehow I seem to be able to provide a plated dinner to all of them at the same time.  So I’m not cutting Natasha any slack. She knows these people have McDonald’s tastebuds, so have French fries and crap food ready to go.  Sorry, anyone who thinks burrata is a strongly flavored cheese deserves to starve.

Barrie’s ex-husband is clearly very ill (looks like throat cancer, which is a truly terrible way to die), and that asshat thinks it would be cool to propose to his boytoy on the guy’s birthday?  I hope he chokes on his beans.

• LOL 1
  • Love 20

Natasha is a bull headed egotistical chef and her food presentation leaves something to be desired but i wouldn't be surprised if she is just serving food according to these classless wankers' preference sheet. No excuse for those poached eggs drowning in a pool of Hollandaise though. And why she couldn't manage to serve the fries simultaneously with the nuggets is a mystery. She doesn't seem flexible or proactive but I don't know if she can do anything to please these assholes, although they seemed okay with the nigiri.

• Love 11

These people!! Wow! No one wants to go in the water and have some swim or float time? The little kid said he was worried there might be creatures in the water? Instead of "fat camp" how about they play in the water, burn some energy (i.e. calories) and come to the table ravenous? What a nutty childhood they're experiencing. Family vacations centered around the dining table. They are able to afford a beautiful sailing experience but completely unaware of the beauty and majesty of catching the wind and sailing! Promises of designer shoes? Under normal circumstances I'd be excited at a promise of designer anything but while in the spectacular waters of Croatia? Talk about a disconnect!
Honestly, I feel sorry for the younger kids. That poor daughter too, her old boyfriend will soon be her stepfather? Is he going to think he's an authority figure to her? She has a strange face but I appreciated that she hung out with no makeup. 

I love me some poached eggs but Natasha is dead wrong that they are served with hollandaise sauce. Yes, eggs benedict is served with hollandaise sauce but basic poached eggs? And Natasha's refusal to listen to Daisy is hurting her food, her timing, and her credibility. While she was expecting to make chicken tenders (WTF? I thought that was a joke, I would have laughed and said, "Yeah, sure!" if I were Daisy. To make more fries, Natasha was starting from scratch. She had to peel, cut, soak, and dry the potatoes before frying them. Of course they couldn't come out quickly!! How do these guests not know what burrata is? It's fancy, expensive mozzarella! It's not strong tasting but clearly these guys have ZERO taste. Speaking of caprese, where was the basil? 
Those light sandwiches on the beach? They reminded me of sandwiches I ate in France. Bread, meat, butter, and that's it. Simple. Again, the guests don't know what they are being served, much less eating.
The guy who wants three pounds of crab all to himself? Why? What have you done to work up an appetite? Soon it will be fat camp for you too!! (I should shut up on this subject. In the last year I resemble the universe. That is,  I'm expanding)
I don't know who is bugging me more about the food, the guests or Natasha. There is plenty of blame for the disappointing meals.
But I noticed when Captain Glenn asked the guests about the food, there were no complaints. 

I haven't even turned my critical eye to the crew. Gary is L-A-Z-Y!!! Yes,he works hard on crew but everyone is working hard. He and Colin seem to have more time just relaxing than any other crew members. Glenn looks to be loving the energy of Gary and I think it's blinding him to Gary's lack of helping the team. Dani was right, Glenn needs to tell the deck crew to step up their efforts in making the experience good for the guests. Thank goodness for JL. He's the least experienced but he's the strength of the deck crew IMO (so far).

Sidney managed to wake up in the middle of the night and crash the chat session of Allie and Gary which means she has embarrassed herself in every single episode. It looks likes she's going to try and weasel her way into their thing and try to make it a throuple/threesome. Ah, shades of Paget, Ciara, and Georgia.
So awkward!!

• Love 12
9 hours ago, snarts said:

The entire sailing experience is lost on these guests.  Plus, is Barrie the only one allowed to speak?  

Well the previous guests who expressed some enthusiasm when they were sailing could have been faking it.

Honestly, unless the motors are loud and there's a big ugly plume of smoke fouling up the air on board, I think most people would be indifferent to it, after the initial novelty.

And as we established in the earlier episode, they went sailing for a whopping 4 kilometers so it's kind of gimmicky.  I guess they had to come up with a reason for having a third BD show.  They could have based them near Africa and then having them try to outrun Somali pirates while sailing.  That would bring some excitement to the proceedings.☺️

• LOL 11
  • Love 3

I was absolutely disgusted by this episode and find Bravo contemptible. Those boys need to be removed from that family situation. It is child abuse for them to be subjected to all of those dynamics. Barrie dating the daughter’s ex-boyfriend (and going to propose to him?!) Get the EFF out. SO SICK! 

Those very young minor boys had to sit there and watch a drag show with their father’s boyfriends (who can keep track of who goes with who??) twerking and shaking their asses in a sexual manner inches from the kid’s faces! I saw those boys exchanging uncomfortable looks. I was outraged and angry. What kind of BS is this? Put these poor kids on television no matter what the sordid situation is, all for Bravo’s ratings?! 

Enough! Enough contributing to these children’s miserable, fucked up life surrounded by perverts. I wish I knew a way to report those sacks of crap. Evil parenting. Kids are supposed to keep their innocence.  Unreal. 

Edited by Sage47
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, tvfanatic13 said:

What was that plastic looking thing on Barrie’s ex’s chin? Did they ever say?

They didn't say, but one of the articles shared upthread mentions his throat cancer and reconstruction using skin/tissue? from elsewhere.  

I forgot to mention "Angry Glen!"  Which tender scratched up the boat, the old one while they were trying to fix it, or the borrowed one?  

I think Natasha did better with previous charters, but she definitely didn't send up the number of pita quarters she had said she did, that was one of the first arguments with Daisy, so she's not done perfectly by the guests before.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 3/30/2021 at 12:18 AM, Lady of nod said:

The only thing that would make this charter enjoyable for me would be asshole Barrie falling overboard on his fat ass.

Yes! With the kid (the one he is supposedly sending to Fat Camp) leaning over the railing and taunting him with a pair of Loubatains if he “makes it to shore.” 

Or, eaten by sharks. 

9 hours ago, MartyQui said:

I have 17 people in my immediate family, and somehow I seem to be able to provide a plated dinner to all of them at the same time.  So I’m not cutting Natasha any slack. She knows these people have McDonald’s tastebuds, so have French fries and crap food ready to go.  Sorry, anyone who thinks burrata is a strongly flavored cheese deserves to starve.

Barrie’s ex-husband is clearly very ill (looks like throat cancer, which is a truly terrible way to die), and that asshat thinks it would be cool to propose to his boytoy on the guy’s birthday?  I hope he chokes on his beans.

Barrie and his boy toy  were already expecting a baby together  when this was filmed. So I don’t think the proposal was going to be too outrageous or shocking to his ex. 

Still Barrie is a asshat of the highest order. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, lcarolynl said:

To make more fries, Natasha was starting from scratch. She had to peel, cut, soak, and dry the potatoes before frying them. Of course they couldn't come out quickly!!

For these folks a bag of frozen would probably do just as well.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
15 hours ago, TeapotWakeen said:

Didn't Natasha do very well with previous guests and their dining setups? Or am I mis-remembering? I mean, yeah, she's whiffed on this charter, but NINE PEOPLE. You cut corners where you can (no garnishes when mealtime is moved up earlier, hollandaise on the food instead of in a little pitcher, whatever it is) to try to get the food out all at the same time. NINE PEOPLE. With at least 3 different "menus" (kids, young adults, adults...) I don't think any of the previous BD chefs could handle it either. That's restaurant crew and timing work, with an expediter. I also noticed Barrie said "no buffets" when they said "family style" meals.... the end result being individually plated. Chief Stew (blonde #5??) should have stuck with, "right, no buffets. Breakfast and lunch will be family style, however. These are not buffets..."  (like the big bowl of french fries Nat sent out at dinner.

Natasha has made other mistakes. There was the obvious lie about the how much pita bread she made on the first charter. I can't remember exactly what happened but the was also an issue with how to do breakfast when sailing. Plus the hollandaise sauce this episode.

Nine people is a lot and this group's special requests were ridiculous. But I don't think it would be Daisy's call to tell them to decide that breakfast and lunch would be family style. That decision had to first be made by Natasha and then Daisy could have relayed it to the guests. Or, even better, Natasha should have come out and spoken to the guests herself. I think they would have been much more receptive to that and their expectations would have matched what Natasha was capable of.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Jobiska said:

Which tender scratched up the boat, the old one while they were trying to fix it, or the borrowed one?  

I read in some interview with him online that it was the one they were trying to fix.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, Jsage said:

Or, even better, Natasha should have come out and spoken to the guests herself. I think they would have been much more receptive to that and their expectations would have matched what Natasha was capable of.

Natasha *was* the one who first discussed family-style with the guests, and Barrie immediately nixed it.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

Natasha *was* the one who first discussed family-style with the guests, and Barrie immediately nixed it.

Sorry, I didn't remember that scene. I stand corrected:)

• Love 1

It was apparent from Barrie's reaction that he was unfamiliar with family style and likened it to a buffet.  Natasha didn't correct him and it actually would've been better had she avoided that conversation all together as he's now used it a criticism after her boast about previous work experience. 

Not sure why she doesn't serve nine plated entrees and offer the sides family style, much like they do at top steakhouses.  It's what she ended up doing with both the clams & french fries. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, snarts said:

It was apparent from Barrie's reaction that he was unfamiliar with family style and likened it to a buffet.  Natasha didn't correct him and it actually would've been better had she avoided that conversation all together as he's now used it a criticism after her boast about previous work experience. 

She also didn’t try to sell it to him.  It’s like she says what she wants and expects everyone to agree with her.  If she had said to Barrie “I imagine you and your family want to enjoy water sports and sailing as much as possible so I suggest breakfast and lunch be table side service and for dinner we can do a formal, fine dining experience” he might have been agreeable.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Jsage said:

Natasha has made other mistakes. There was the obvious lie about the how much pita bread she made on the first charter. I can't remember exactly what happened but the was also an issue with how to do breakfast when sailing. Plus the hollandaise sauce this episode.

Nine people is a lot and this group's special requests were ridiculous. But I don't think it would be Daisy's call to tell them to decide that breakfast and lunch would be family style. That decision had to first be made by Natasha and then Daisy could have relayed it to the guests. Or, even better, Natasha should have come out and spoken to the guests herself. I think they would have been much more receptive to that and their expectations would have matched what Natasha was capable of.

Natasha is the one who spoke to the guests regarding meals. Natasha is the one who let Barrie equate “family style” with buffet. Once the chef did this, it isn’t the chief stew’s responsibility to explain the difference - plus, she might have come off as lying. Natasha inadvertently screwed herself.  I’m not sure why Daisy should be held responsible.*

*Not directed at you OP, but a previous poster. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Booger666 said:

She also didn’t try to sell it to him.  It’s like she says what she wants and expects everyone to agree with her.  If she had said to Barrie “I imagine you and your family want to enjoy water sports and sailing as much as possible so I suggest breakfast and lunch be table side service and for dinner we can do a formal, fine dining experience” he might have been agreeable.

I don't think he would have liked that. They didn't enjoy swimming, water toys, etc. All they seemed to want to do is eat. 

• Love 5