Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: A Simmons by Any Other Name

• Start Topic

I thought it was funny when all the girls were dancing drunkenly. Especially when Stephanie was dancing with the thing on her head lol. I loved when she called Kary her shot sister haha. Brandi's little girl doing her make up was cute. I loved Mama Dee's TH reaction to the women partying lol. Tiffany looked cute in her pink dress.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Rahul said:

Brandi is the worst kind of Christian--sanctimonious and judgmental without understanding the core tenants of her own religion. I'm pretty sure Jesus would not approve of Brandi's behavior.

“Let him who is without sin among you be the first to cast a stone at her.” 

"And if it's a shaman fling that mother right at the head"

I'm pretty sure that's how it went in my theology class..........

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, TheCouchPotato said:

It’s always the super religious ones that are so full of BS. Brandi, please go away. 

Absolutely. I knew Brandi was about to spew some BS when the words "As your sister in Christ..." left her lips.

• LOL 11
  • Love 6

Also, whoever said the cake looked like the Taj Mahal needs to do some Googling. Wrong color scheme and it's in India, not Morocco. That party was not a good advertisement for Party with Lushra. How come Kary rates a never-ending birthday celebration but Tiffany gets that cheap-looking mess? Kary is lucky that Tiffany's never had a birthday party and therefore any effort was better than nothing. Tiffany's parents sound worse and worse with each story. Didn't she buy them a house? If so, why? They're the kind of family you slowly (or even quickly) distance yourself from at the first opportunity. 

I did like the scene of Brandi letting Brinkley do her makeup and put bows all over her head - then saying, "You're dad's going to want to take me out tonight." I thought she was a good sport. 

Shaman Darrin is harmless and if D'Andra wants to believe and it gives her some peace, it's her right. I don't like it when people make it so obvious they don't want to be somewhere and then poke fun or misbehave during an event. Stay home. Brandi is what I refer to as a one-day-a-week Christian because they think attending church on Sunday absolves them of everything they've done Monday through Saturday. 

Kam and Court are cute together. I also like the relationship between Tiffany and Daniel.  The Westcott's and the Moon's seem like happy couples.  

Not surprised that Mama Dee gets a gold medal in gold digging. 

Stephanie was kind of a non-entity this episode ... except for looking super greasy at the Morocco-light birthday bash.   

Friend-of-Jen can replace Kary as a fulltime housewife and I'd be okay with it. She may not have a 'big' personality, but at least she's not a raging bitch. 

• Love 13

When I heard there was a birthday party, I thought, wtf, Kary’s getting another party? And of course Brandi to make it about her. Fortunately, Tiff was so wasted she didn’t notice! 
Why does Tiffany have to tell her mom she went to four days anyway and isn’t she worried more how her mom will react when she sees these shows?

Edited by Kiss my mutt
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, Kiss my mutt said:

Tiff was so wasted she didn’t notice! 

That might have been a blessing so they didn’t get into it again. I think Brandi is having real problems of the mental kind. 

• Love 9

Someone on Twitter mentioned that Court looks like Lyanna Mormont from Game of Thrones and now I can't unsee it

Daniel seems like a very supportive husband and Tiffany's daughters are the cutest.

Even though that party was far from an actual Moroccan theme, Kameron and friend of Jenn were actually dressed in the most Moroccan themed outfits

• Love 5
20 hours ago, TheCouchPotato said:

It’s always the super religious ones that are so full of BS. Brandi, please go away. 

Word!  Wasn't she chasing Kam around the beach with a dildo a few seasons ago?  And the countless poop and vulgar jokes and now we're super religious?

bye.jpg

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

Brandi is a horrible human on all fronts.   But why the fuck is she high-lighter yellow in splotches at D'Andra's house?  I watched it on my TV, then some clips on my phone, and then some more on my tablet.  All of them had her fucking glowing yellow in splotches.  I figured too much banana powder, but why?  Every shade of human is beautiful.  But unnaturally day-glow yellow is just plain freaky.  She's not my science textbook in 1988, after a hard night of studying.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I teach students with disabilities. I’ve spent years working with children with all kinds of major and minor communication and behavioral challenges - from non-verbal autism to ADHD and dyslexia. I do not believe it is ever acceptable for a mother to highlight her child’s learning disability or health impairment on social media or on a reality show. Not ever. You can talk about your own challenges and the obstacles you’ve overcome, but it’s repulsive to make that decision for your minor child. Even if it’s ostensibly for “awareness.” Jacqueline (NJ) was wrong, Stephanie was wrong, and Brandi is wrong. (Brandi is typically wrong. For a multitude of things.) 

ETA: I don’t ever like it, but it’s especially egregious when the motivations are screen time and/or sympathy. 

Edited by RedInk
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

I hope to never again see/hear Cort urging his daughter to co-sign his contempt for Kameron.  Cort speaks to their kid as if she and Cort are the brains of the outfit and they just tolerate Kameron's presence.  I'd totally be up in his shit over it if it was me. I mean, I know she does go a bit over the top emotionally over silly stuff, but Cort picked her and she does have the right to know what's going on with the sale of their property.

Edited by Anne Thrax
  • Love 8
On 3/17/2021 at 4:53 PM, Feline Goddess said:

Also, whoever said the cake looked like the Taj Mahal needs to do some Googling. Wrong color scheme and it's in India, not Morocco. That party was not a good advertisement for Party with Lushra. How come Kary rates a never-ending birthday celebration but Tiffany gets that cheap-looking mess? Kary is lucky that Tiffany's never had a birthday party and therefore any effort was better than nothing. Tiffany's parents sound worse and worse with each story. Didn't she buy them a house? If so, why? They're the kind of family you slowly (or even quickly) distance yourself from at the first opportunity. 

Since BRAVO pays for the away trips and sets them up and pays for everything, it is BRAVO that decided that the destination would be a birthday party excuse.

I doubt very much that Kary paid for the party - she traded promotional consideration for the event planners. Perhaps some of the really wealthy women like Kam do pay for a party with a minimum of promotional trades but I doubt Kary's husband is willing to pay anything to sponsor a party for Tiffany or anyone else.

The sad thing about the exchange between D'Andra and Mama Dee is that they are both right. D'Andrea took the last name because it would reap her benefits and perhaps she was also hoping he would be more generous to the "namesake" and Mama Dee is a fucking bitch. 

What I don't understand is how that whole exchange started. Why were they even discussing the name change at the party. It seemed to come out of left field.

• Love 2

Dee does suck tho. I have  no doubt that D'Andra and her endless partying and groupy-ing and dilettantishness or whatever else was a just a huge disappointment for her ambitious and driven mother. But the way she deals with it is all wrong.

• Love 5
On 3/16/2021 at 7:33 PM, njbchlover said:

Yeah-they really didn't seem to care, did they?  They were more interested in their popsicles!!  Tiffany - just tell them that Mommy is now going to be able to spend more time with you.....once she stops filming the reality show that was the real reason she asked for a shorter work week as a doctor.  

Tiffanty -- just tell them that Mommy is not going to spend any more time with you than she does now.  That one day a week will be used to do what she said in a previous episode -- getting her hair and nails done, waxing appointments, lunch with the girls, pick up her daughters from school and drop them off with the nanny.  She even said herself that her goal is to be a lady who lunches - one day a week.

• Love 3
On 3/17/2021 at 5:40 PM, Kiss my mutt said:

When I heard there was a birthday party, I thought, wtf, Kary’s getting another party? And of course Brandi to make it about her. Fortunately, Tiff was so wasted she didn’t notice! 
Why does Tiffany have to tell her mom she went to four days anyway and isn’t she worried more how her mom will react when she sees these shows?

No.  Tiffany's mother's only interest is in how much money Tiffany brings in.  Because her mother looks at the money Tiffany earns as her own property.  Kinda like Mama Dee, except Tiff's mom is exploiting her child instead of a man. We all heard how the mother has fucked with Tiffany's head her whole life, telling her only child how worthless she is unless she's bringing in the highest grades and the biggest money.

That's why Tiffany is sweating breaking the news to Mommy Dearest.  Once her mother knows the cash cow is saying no to money that she could be earning, Tiffany is going to get browbeat like there's no tomorrow how ungrateful and lazy she is every time she sees her mother.

Edited by Anne Thrax
7 hours ago, Anne Thrax said:

I hope to never again see/hear Cort urging his daughter to co-sign his contempt for Kameron.  Cort speaks to their kid as if she and Cort are the brains of the outfit and they just tolerate Kameron's presence.  I'd totally be up in his shit over it if it was me. I mean, I know she does go a bit over the top emotionally over silly stuff, but Cort picked her and she does have the right to know what's going on with the sale of their property.

When one pretends to be dumber than they are...this is what happens.

Is what he doing wrong?  Yes

However, she needs to drop the dumb blonde act and be herself instead of playing a role.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

However, she needs to drop the dumb blonde act and be herself instead of playing a role.

This is less about Kameron perhaps playing a role and more about permanent ruination of a mother-daughter bond that more than likely will have consequences for the kid down the road (as well as the rest of the family) if it hasn't already.

Edited by Anne Thrax
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, amarante said:

What I don't understand is how that whole exchange started. Why were they even discussing the name change at the party. It seemed to come out of left field.

The other red headed lady (her name escapes me) asked D'andra why her last name was the same as her stepdad's and not her biological dad's.  Why that question popped into her head escapes me.

• Useful 2
6 hours ago, swankie said:

The other red headed lady (her name escapes me) asked D'andra why her last name was the same as her stepdad's and not her biological dad's.  Why that question popped into her head escapes me.

Thank you for providing context.

Perhaps there was something that was edited out in terms of Mama Dee's talking about her second marriage. It would then have come out that D'Andra wasn't the biological child. 

Perhaps most people assumed that D'Andra was a biological Simmons unless they were very wired into the intricacies of Dallas society. Kam knew the back story but I wonder if the parvenu element like Brandi or Stephanie are aware of nuances.

Does Dallas have the equivalent of the Social Register?

When I graduated from law school I worked at one of the very traditional white shoe firms for a few years and did a rotation in the Trusts & Estates department. It was there that I learned that The Social Register was an actual book that was issued every year - people were added and dropped. I had thought it was an expression like New York's Four Hundred so I was surprised - and a bit amused - that it was a compilation that was used instead of a phone book because anyone you wanted to reach would be in The Social Register. Of course things have changed - for starters I imagine it's not on a website. :-). 

Edited by amarante
  • Useful 1
13 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

Is Kam smarter than she appears?

Sometimes I am not sure whether she is putting on an act like when she doesn't know the meaning of basic words.

I don't think she is stupid but I also am not sure she has used any of her "intelligence" to acquire normal information. Not everyone is "smart' - I think Brandi is not a particularly smart woman. Tiffany is obviously extremely smart in terms of traditional academic/intellectual achievements. Stephanie D'Andra and obviously Carey (the one married to the plastic surgeon) are smart women in terms of that.

Emotional smarts are different - Kam seems to be emotionally smarter than someone like Kary (the chirpy Mexican LOL) for example. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, amarante said:

Is Kam smarter than she appears?

Sometimes I am not sure whether she is putting on an act like when she doesn't know the meaning of basic words.

I don't think she is stupid but I also am not sure she has used any of her "intelligence" to acquire normal information. Not everyone is "smart' - I think Brandi is not a particularly smart woman. Tiffany is obviously extremely smart in terms of traditional academic/intellectual achievements. Stephanie D'Andra and obviously Carey (the one married to the plastic surgeon) are smart women in terms of that.

Emotional smarts are different - Kam seems to be emotionally smarter than someone like Kary (the chirpy Mexican LOL) for example. 

I think she is smart. And she has verbalized she wants to know what’s going on with the house. She’s met with “you don’t want to know how sausage is made” type comments complete with “your mom/my wife is so obtuse ” interactions with their daughter.

That dynamic bothers me. She seems to be a punch line.  It’s not the children’s fault but her husband needs to stop.  We all have strengths and weaknesses and even if she plays into the dynamic it could be changed with Court treating her as an equal - which she is.

• Love 2
On 3/17/2021 at 12:04 AM, CrinkleCutCat said:

Kam.... the absolutely LAST person I expected to be cosying up to a snake! I’m won over now!

If Brandi had such a problem with the Shaman, who is doing the Devil’s work (puhleeeeze), why was she there and participating? 

I find Kam to be hilarious. I would watch an hour of her playing with her dog or having discussions with Court & her kids.

I love her house.

• Love 3
On 3/21/2021 at 1:09 AM, Anne Thrax said:

Tiffanty -- just tell them that Mommy is not going to spend any more time with you than she does now.  That one day a week will be used to do what she said in a previous episode -- getting her hair and nails done, waxing appointments, lunch with the girls, pick up her daughters from school and drop them off with the nanny.  She even said herself that her goal is to be a lady who lunches - one day a week.

For what it's worth, my own take on it is that she will spend more time with her kids, and when she was talking about wanting to be a luncheoning lady, she was partly trying to fit in with the girls and talk about doing the things they do with their free time. I'm sure she'll also want to do those things, too, but I do think she truly wants to spend more time with her kids.

Of course, I might be wrong. Doing a show like this is time spent away from her children. But I get her wanting to do her own thing, too: all she's ever done is her career and family and I get that she'll want some time for herself.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Glama said:

For what it's worth, my own take on it is that she will spend more time with her kids, and when she was talking about wanting to be a luncheoning lady, she was partly trying to fit in with the girls and talk about doing the things they do with their free time. I'm sure she'll also want to do those things, too, but I do think she truly wants to spend more time with her kids.

Of course, I might be wrong. Doing a show like this is time spent away from her children. But I get her wanting to do her own thing, too: all she's ever done is her career and family and I get that she'll want some time for herself.

I agree - and there's nothing wrong with her wanting me-time, since she does have a full plate with her hospital job and her HW commitments.  Better she should just admit it.  Instead, I just think she lays it on a little thick with her "all I want to be is a mommy" when it doesn't particularly seem accurate.  When she was talking about what she would do with that one day a week, I was surprised that she never mentioned even one thing she was wanting to do with her girls besides be the one that day to pick them up from school.

Edited by Anne Thrax
21 hours ago, KnoxForPres said:

I think she is smart. And she has verbalized she wants to know what’s going on with the house. She’s met with “you don’t want to know how sausage is made” type comments complete with “your mom/my wife is so obtuse ” interactions with their daughter.

That dynamic bothers me. She seems to be a punch line.  It’s not the children’s fault but her husband needs to stop.  We all have strengths and weaknesses and even if she plays into the dynamic it could be changed with Court treating her as an equal - which she is.

I wouldn't object so much to Cort treating Kameron as if her feelings/opinions are irrelevant in front of the kids if he'd temper it with something softer such as "but we love Mommy anyway, don't we?"  I'm afraid that he just leaves the impression with the kids that their mother doesn't matter and we're better off if we just keep her in the dark.

Edited by Anne Thrax
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Glama said:

She will absolutely have more time to be with the kids and she also will be less exhausted when she is with them. She will also have some flexibility in terms of scheduling the day off so that she can show up to important events. My mother worked and she was never able to be at any school events like plays. This was also at a time when most mothers were SAH. I am not "complaining" - looking back I see how exhausted she must have been by the time she had come home - cooked dinner and cleaned up. My father was pretty evolved for the time but the onus of running the household was still on her shoulders. This was a time when most women didn't work outside the home.

I give a pass to the way Tiffany sometimes communicates with her children in an "adult" manner. She and her husband seem to have very warm relations with the kids - the don't seem to be in "awe" or "fear" them. My experience is that many academically oriented people do talk to their children using adult vocabulary and concepts.

• Love 6
On 3/18/2021 at 7:38 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

Kam and Court are the poster children for opposites attracts.

You think Kam is attracted to him?  🤔

On 3/20/2021 at 1:14 PM, Anne Thrax said:

For me, it was everything to hear Stephanie say:  "I think Darren should stick to hair dressing instead of shaman-ing because he's real good at extensions."  Can we get an Amen?

I think that was a really bitchy thing to say, underhanded mocking him being a shaman.

Edited by heatherchandler
  • Love 3
On 3/16/2021 at 10:56 PM, DallasDiva243 said:

Kameron with the snake was hilarious! I loved her so much this episode!!

I only half watched last week, but Kam and the snake was awesome.

I also find Kam refreshing in that her daughter is more of a tomboy but Kam accepts her as she is.

I think Curt is too dismissive of her.

Kam’s lack of intellectual curiosity bugs me, But otherwise she is highly entertaining 

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

I also find Kam refreshing in that her daughter is more of a tomboy but Kam accepts her as she is.

Kam’s lack of intellectual curiosity bugs me, But otherwise she is highly entertaining 

I like Kam. She is hilarious.

There should be more scenes of her with her dog & debating Court over selling her home.

I am still confused whether or not she is "acting" or not when she speaks to Court.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, oakville said:

am still confused whether or not she is "acting" or not when she speaks to Court.

I’m still confused about when she is acting or when she isn’t.

Regardless, I find her highly entertaining and ridiculous which is why I started  watching these shows to being with.

In don’t like how Cort is pulling the children into the mocking of their mother....

• Love 8
On 3/21/2021 at 2:08 PM, KnoxForPres said:

Didn't she tell us at the beginning of the season that when the first house sale fell through she took to her bed for several days? (weeks?)  She started it 😄 

On 3/21/2021 at 10:49 AM, amarante said:

Does Dallas have the equivalent of the Social Register?

In previous seasons they have always talked as if they do, and the "big names in Dallas" always seemed to belong to horrible people.  Anyone remember that screaming nightmare Heidi? 😄 

• Love 4

I wondered about Deandra and her two dads. Was it Simmons that killed himself? Or her real dad? It was the Simmons money she went after against her half brother?
Mama Dee was mean and called Deandra out for no reason but the two are alike. I totally see  her changing her name to get ahead. 
I think Deandra is using Shamans and meditation and reaching out to the brother to make her look less like a money grubbing hag who still has her hand out to Mama.  They are both snakes. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Chatty Cake said:

I wondered about Deandra and her two dads. Was it Simmons that killed himself? Or her real dad? It was the Simmons money she went after against her half brother?
Mama Dee was mean and called Deandra out for no reason but the two are alike. I totally see  her changing her name to get ahead. 
I think Deandra is using Shamans and meditation and reaching out to the brother to make her look less like a money grubbing hag who still has her hand out to Mama.  They are both snakes. 

My impression it was Real Dad's money she went after against the brother - she said something about they didn't think she deserved the inheritance after she changed her name.

• Love 1
On 3/20/2021 at 1:17 PM, Anne Thrax said:

Agree. I thought he was condescending and sexist. Contract pending means they had an offer, they accepted it and are awaiting to see if the buyer’s financing goes through. I’d be very upset if my husband accepted an offer on our house without even discussing it with me. That’s not a partnership IMO. 

• Love 8
On 3/24/2021 at 4:36 AM, Chatty Cake said:

It had to have been the bio-father, but I don't understand how the brother was totally cut out of the will.  Did the half-brother have a different bio-father?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

It had to have been the bio-father, but I don't understand how the brother was totally cut out of the will.  Did the half-brother have a different bio-father?

I assumed she shared bio dad with the brother. I can’t remember if she said half brother or step brother but I’m guessing half brother. You would think the guy would have left something for both children rather than have competing wills.

Edited by Chatty Cake
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Chatty Cake said:

I assumed she shared bio dad with the brother. I can’t remember if she said half brother or step brother but I’m guessing half brother. You would think the guy would have left something for both children rather than have competing wills.

Yeah I am very curious about this two-will story and how she came out as the winner.  If she was born first, and there was a will, and another will after the younger half-brother was born... how does the second will not take precedence?  I bet the court documents are sealed.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

Agree. I thought he was condescending and sexist. Contract pending means they had an offer, they accepted it and are awaiting to see if the buyer’s financing goes through. I’d be very upset if my husband accepted an offer on our house without even discussing it with me. That’s not a partnership IMO. 

Considering that his wife has "never seen a bill in her life" and seems proud of it - maybe that's not the kind of partnership they have 😄 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 3/23/2021 at 7:59 PM, Stats Queen said:

I've always been a girly girl and thought it would be funny if I had a daughter who was a tomboy. I think lots of girly mothers like Kam are disappointed when their daughters don't love pink, hate dresses and would rather play around in the dirt than take ballet. I'm also glad Kameron accepts her daughter as she is and doesn't expect her to be her mini me. 

• Love 3