Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E06: Kenae's Story

• Start Topic

Kenae' was already big before her weight gain took off after the death of her beloved mother. Refusing to deal with the pain, Kenae' turned to food to fill the void. But she'll be reunited with her mom soon if the denial continues.

This is the regular episode thread.  It will open after the initial showing.

Original air date 2021.02.03 

Another poundticipant that thought they knew more than Dr. Now, and didn't have to even try, and she would get the magic surgery and be instantly healthy, and at a good weight.    Even though she claimed to have accepted that she would never have biological children of her own, I don't think she did.    I'm sure Dr. Now knew all about her other medical issues, but her PCOS, and other issues would be treated by other doctors, including any insulin resistance, if she had that too as a part of her PCOS.     I think any other doctors she had already told her about her other issues, and that was a reason she didn't seem to care about her 'surprising' news.    I think the only surprise is that she didn't think Dr. Now would do the testing to see if she could ever have surgery.       

The way she turned on Dr. Now at that first follow up appointment was appalling.    It certainly wasn't a shock to her husband either.  I think her rage shows exactly what it was like in that house, if she didn't get exactly what she wanted.   

• Love 20

There seem to be less of the participants actually making it to the surgery. 
I think they need months of psychotherapy prior to seeing Dr.Now. Kenae was another one that claimed to dislike her life but be okay with it as long as she could eat all day.

• Love 7

I haven't decided where she landed about staying on the diet.  That first follow-up visit was appalling, yet Dr. Now patiently let her have her tantrum until she ran out of gas.  Clearly this wasn't his first rodeo.  Afterwards, she went back and ramped up the diet and exercise, and I have to give her props for that even if it because she was pissed at Dr. Now.  Kanae may not have lost nearly the amount she should have, but she continued losing without a big dramatic gain, which is more than we've seen from others.  I'm cautiously optimistic for her.

The family was amazingly loving and supportive which was heartwarming to see.  Something a bit odd is that she kept referring to the children as her kids, not her nieces and nephews.  Did they all really live in a single trailer, or was it a double?

• Love 8
1 hour ago, cynicat said:

I haven't decided where she landed about staying on the diet.  That first follow-up visit was appalling, yet Dr. Now patiently let her have her tantrum until she ran out of gas.  Clearly this wasn't his first rodeo.  Afterwards, she went back and ramped up the diet and exercise, and I have to give her props for that even if it because she was pissed at Dr. Now.  Kanae may not have lost nearly the amount she should have, but she continued losing without a big dramatic gain, which is more than we've seen from others.  I'm cautiously optimistic for her.

The family was amazingly loving and supportive which was heartwarming to see.  Something a bit odd is that she kept referring to the children as her kids, not her nieces and nephews.  Did they all really live in a single trailer, or was it a double?

It looked like a single.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The way she turned on Dr. Now at that first follow up appointment was appalling.    It certainly wasn't a shock to her husband either.  I think her rage shows exactly what it was like in that house, if she didn't get exactly what she wanted. 

I know. And I hate to think of how she may emotionally bully the kids if they dont do xyz for her. Her husband is her peer, and can go toe to toe with her if she acts like she did with Dr. Now, the kids don't have that option.

I am not of the option that learning caregiving skills* is inappropriate for teenage children (boys OR girls, its not right that girls are usually given ALL of the caregiving duties)- I did it for my grandfather and my sister and am glad I had skills at 14 similarly situated people don't have at 44 (and are now emotional and practical messes because they are clueless), but the emotional manipulation and bullying is NOT okay and her the other adults need to put her in CHECK.

*and to me it really doesnt matter WHY someone needs care, they are a human being, if you cannot or do not want to care for them make other arrangements.

4 hours ago, cynicat said:

The family was amazingly loving and supportive which was heartwarming to see.  Something a bit odd is that she kept referring to the children as her kids, not her nieces and nephews.

I am not sure if their biological mother (sister to her husband) was the second earner in the home and Kenae was the primary caregiver for the all of the children (and thats why she considers them hers), or if their bio Mom had some issue that prevented her from parenting full time. I could see a situation where Kenae's husband and his sister were the earners in the home and because of Kenae's inability to work due to her weight (she mentioned she quit her job long before her Mom died) she stayed home with the kids and they all pooled resources. Many of the kids are older (late to mid teens), likely she has been caring for them a while.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

If Kenae is the caregiver, how does that work? We saw that she needed help to get from bed into the bathroom, and only prepared food while sitting on the couch, with others bringing the ingredients, utensils, etc. I can't imagine she'd be capable of any kind of child care duties. 

I meant when the now teenage kids were small. She has always been large but only needing assistance recently she said. I could see her taking care of the ones that were now in HS and college when they were small. If her sister in law isn't working what does she do all day? Wouldn't she be Kenae's caregiver? Thats at least what I was thinking.

I could be 100% wrong in my assumptions.

6 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

And Rodney didn't look like the kind of 'sharp suits and a new Escalade every year' pastors I see in my neighborhood.

Most pastors are bi-vocational unless they work for a large religious denomination (like Lutheran or Southern Baptist) and have a congregation that can support them. I assumed he had a "regular job" and a was a part time pastor. Again- I am assuming and you know what they say about assumptions.

• Love 4

I've been under the impression the eating plan Dr. Nowzaradan gives his patients is one they'll have to follow for the rest of their lives (with some modifications made after they reach their goal weight).

This so to avoid both weight gain and malnutrition after weight loss surgery.

But almost all the Poundicipants (since the beginning of the series), including Kenae', seem to believe they only have to follow the eating plan until they lose enough weight to qualify for, and then receive, weight loss surgery. That once they have surgery they can return to eating whatever they like; because of the reduced capacity of their stomach, they won't gain weight.

Kenae' said something alluding to this last night.

I don't recall Dr. Nowzaradan ever making it clear to any of the Poundicipants the eating plan is a lifelong commitment. He does tell them surgery alone isn't a miracle cure, and that if they don't eat in moderation they'll stretch out their stomachs. But I've never heard him say they can't go back to eating the foods they love because those foods don't represent a balanced diet, and with the limits on caloric intake, can result in malnutrition.

If he made that clear at the onset, we'd probably see fewer patients like Kenae', and all the others who never make it to surgery.

• Love 5

People - I stumbled on this lady late last night and have been rolling ever since. She reviews a variety of shows (don't care), so you have to search her videos for her M6PL reviews. Holy Moley, The way she imitates Dr Now!  The link is for Kenae, but she has a heck of a review for Cindy, as well. I never thought of Sandy getting Cindy in for her disability money. She's got an interesting take on what Sandy was really up to.

Auntie's Advice

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, TwirlyGirly said:

If he made that clear at the onset, we'd probably see fewer patients like Kenae', and all the others who never make it to surgery

Just because we don't hear it being said doesn't mean it isn't said. And since smart-ass Kenae knows she can google the Dr. Now diet, I think it's safe to say she can also google 'Can I get weight loss surgery and then go back to eating whatever I want?' 

IMO, people prone to this disorder are also prone to a number of personality traits that have led to their condition. They tend to think the same way: magical/illogical thinking based on what they WANT to happen vs. what commonsense and a tiny amount of research would tell them ISN'T going to happen. Dr. Now is beating his head against a brick wall with the vast majority of these patients, and I wonder if he is influencing the showrunners featuring fewer and fewer success stories. As the beginning screen says: Fewer than 5% of these patients will be successful.

• Love 11

I don't know why, but I was hopeful for her for the first few minute of the episode! There went that idea!

My mother died when I was 17. It was hard. A tiny part of me thinks that if you're an adult and your parent dies, it's awful, but all the caterwalling years later is....um, attention-seeking. I could be wrong, and perhaps my own experience has made me jaded.

• Love 13

From Helga in the Live Chat:

"The red dress in the talking head shots is something else.  SHINY red dress!!!  She could get a job being the biggest ornament on her city's Christmas tree!"

I am thinking along the lines of miniature golf.  She could be the uphill mound and all she has to is keep her mouth open for the ball.

• LOL 7
45 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

IMO, people prone to this disorder are also prone to a number of personality traits that have led to their condition. They tend to think the same way: magical/illogical thinking based on what they WANT to happen vs. what commonsense and a tiny amount of research would tell them ISN'T going to happen. Dr. Now is beating his head against a brick wall with the vast majority of these patients, and I wonder if he is influencing the showrunners featuring fewer and fewer success stories. As the beginning screen says: Fewer than 5% of these patients will be successful.

Remember the peerless Shelley from Dr. Drew's Celebrity Rehab? She once said of one client; "He's not prepared to do whatever it takes. He's prepared to do what he thinks it should take". That stayed with me and I haul it out and dust it off quite often, for a number of applications. Dr.Now's Parade of Failures are just like this. When faced with the reality of what they'll have to do to succeed, they lash out, deny, question Dr. Now, cast aspersions, deflect, claim they're "too busy"...on and on. Because no matter what they say, they are not prepared to to whatever it takes. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
33 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

"He's not prepared to do whatever it takes. He's prepared to do what he thinks it should take". 

This is brilliant.  Thanks for sharing.  I think this case of 'expectations vs. reality' is nearly universal...  and expectations absolutely do influence what reality will turn out to be.  Unfortunately, it's very hard to figure out how appropriate or inappropriate someone's expectations really are without a nice long conversation - that doctors don't really have time for.  

6 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

It looked like a single.

For the clueless among us, what's the difference between single and double trailers? 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

I've been under the impression the eating plan Dr. Nowzaradan gives his patients is one they'll have to follow for the rest of their lives (with some modifications made after they reach their goal weight).

This so to avoid both weight gain and malnutrition after weight loss surgery.

But almost all the Poundicipants (since the beginning of the series), including Kenae', seem to believe they only have to follow the eating plan until they lose enough weight to qualify for, and then receive, weight loss surgery. That once they have surgery they can return to eating whatever they like; because of the reduced capacity of their stomach, they won't gain weight.

Kenae' said something alluding to this last night.

I don't recall Dr. Nowzaradan ever making it clear to any of the Poundicipants the eating plan is a lifelong commitment. He does tell them surgery alone isn't a miracle cure, and that if they don't eat in moderation they'll stretch out their stomachs. But I've never heard him say they can't go back to eating the foods they love because those foods don't represent a balanced diet, and with the limits on caloric intake, can result in malnutrition.

If he made that clear at the onset, we'd probably see fewer patients like Kenae', and all the others who never make it to surgery.

The surgery is a life long commitment, but with the gastric sleeve you do not have to stay on the same plan you had pre-surgery and after the first 6months for the rest of your life. Ideally with the sleeve, you can eat like a typical person (and I dont mean typical US person now, lets say a typical person in the USA in 1921 not 2021) about a year after surgery. Small amounts of refined sugars, with complex carbs, moderate protein and fat are fine. 

One of my cousins that had the sleeve (and had kept the weight off for about 7yrs, she got it in her early 50s) went from 350 to about 190, she is 5'9. She eats typical food just in smaller portions- and by small I dont mean child small, but actual serving size, smaller than what we usually see adults eating and much smaller than what she was eating before. She wasnt a big drinker, but she does have to stay away from alcohol- doesnt agree with her.

But I agree- I dont think Kenae or similarly situated participants understand that they can NEVER go back to eating the way that got them to 600lbs.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, Ms. Me said:

I think Kenae was going for an Academy Award with that performance in  Dr. Now’s office.  I don’t think the doctor was buying it. 

She was! I love Dr Now's "Are you done?" I understand some people are more teary than others, but she was just going after him.

1 hour ago, cpcathy said:

I don't know why, but I was hopeful for her for the first few minute of the episode! There went that idea!

My mother died when I was 17. It was hard. A tiny part of me thinks that if you're an adult and your parent dies, it's awful, but all the caterwalling years later is....um, attention-seeking. I could be wrong, and perhaps my own experience has made me jaded.

When you are a child and lose you lose your caregiver, there is a very real concern as to your very survival. Thats a very different thing than the emotional anguish over losing someone you love as an adult. That being said, I am not going to judge someone on how they "feel" when grieving someone they loved, but I can judge them for using it as an excuse to be rude, hateful, non cooperative when someone is trying to help them. I get Kenae crawling into a depression after her Mother died, thats real and awful, but its not an excuse for her behavior today.

My Mom says you NEVER get over losing your Mother, no matter how long you had them or how well they lived or how prepared you were for it.

• Love 9

When Kenae went off on Dr. Now, I was very glad the camera crew was there.   When she went off on him, Dr. Now should have told her to leave and never come back.  

Kenae was just as bad as Ashley (the woman who appeared on Catfish twice), and who also went off on Dr. Now.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Hellga said:

For the clueless among us, what's the difference between single and double trailers? 

I don't think I have come across a quadruple wide, but trailers come as single, double or triple wide.  

If you drive the interstates a lot in the countryside you will often come across what looks like 2 halves of a trailer house.  When it gets to where it is to be set up the two sides are connected.  A triple wide is made up of 3 units. 

I probably should watch the parts of this that I missed last night.  It did look like they showed a single wide outside (you can usually tell from a side view or from the roof slant) Filming inside looked more like a double.   I find it hard to believe that many people could live in a single or even double wide.  It made me wonder if there were 2 trailers on the same plot of land .

We stayed for 2 weeks at Parris Island one time and stayed in a trailer which was a very interesting experience for me.  The front door entered into a kitchen/living/dining combo.  There was a hall from that that was like on a pullman that led to 2 bedrooms with a bath between.  If you have ever seen The Long, Long Trailer you have seen a single wide.

Hope this helps.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, Twopper said:

It did look like they showed a single wide outside (you can usually tell from a side view or from the roof slant) Filming inside looked more like a double.   I find it hard to believe that many people could live in a single or even double wide.  It made me wonder if there were 2 trailers on the same plot of land.

There ARE two single-wide trailers there.  One is at a 90-degree angle almost touching the one they showed the inside of last night.   They are both listed as the same address on Google.  

We live in a double-wide.  It wasn't hard for us to figure out theirs was a single-wide, based on where the front door was in relation to the door frame that went into the bedroom.  The family may use the second trailer mostly for bedrooms, and they gather in the one we saw for meals.  

According to Facebook, Kenae stayed awake crying all last night after her show aired.  She got some support online, but a lot of people called her out on her behavior.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Twopper said:

Hope this helps.

Thank you, it does.  I stayed in a trailer when I was on Apache reservation in Arizona. I think it was single based on your explanation...  If I remember correctly, the front door opened into the living/dining combo with kitchen in the opposite corner, and then there was a hallway with three bedrooms (one at the end of the hall), one bathroom and a laundry room which also had back door to the outside...   it was bigger than the med students' trailer, and I lived there all by myself for a month.  

57 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

We live in a double-wide.  It wasn't hard for us to figure out theirs was a single-wide, based on where the front door was in relation to the door frame that went into the bedroom.  The family may use the second trailer mostly for bedrooms, and they gather in the one we saw for meals.  

That would make sense... That was a lot of people to all live together in any case.  Though they only came to live together after the tornado, it's not like they had a lot of options at that point...  And it really is a matter of perspective.  Until I was 16, my parents and I lived in the tiny one-bedroom 500 sq.f. apartment and to me it did not feel like it was crowded.   When we moved from there into a 1,400 sq.f. house, it almost felt like too much room and family room downstairs went pretty much unused...  

57 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

According to Facebook, Kenae stayed awake crying all last night after her show aired.  She got some support online, but a lot of people called her out on her behavior.  

What did she think, that people would feed bad for her after that ridiculous rant?  

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 5

I’m sad. This was my go to show. I looked forward to Wednesday’s. I would keep marathons on all day as background. I’d even fall asleep to James K.

Now? Haven’t watched an entire episode since sometime in early season 6. Not even my love of the forum snark can brink me back to this zzzzzzzzzzzz

Just now, Hellga said:

What did she think, that people would feed bad for her after that ridiculous rant?  

27 minutes ago, Mollysmom said:

I tried to watch this episode, but the scene at her first follow up with Dr. Now was too much and I turned. If I had been Dr. Now, I would have said, "Well, I guess I can't help you, so I'm done. Good luck!" 

We have seen enough of this show to realize that he gets something like this rant on occasion.  I would hope she is crying because she realizes how awful she acted, but I am not betting on it.

I had trouble following the tornado story.   I thought she said they were at Rodney's mother's house when the storm hit killing her SIL's boyfriend. That sounds absolutely frightful.  Both my parents were meteorologists and worried about people in trailers even after they started selling tie-downs and securing them better.     Then she said they all moved in with her mother-in-law who would be Rodney's mother --unless this is a stepmother to Rodney?--because the other place was destroyed. 

1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

There ARE two single-wide trailers there.  One is at a 90-degree angle almost touching the one they showed the inside of last night.   They are both listed as the same address on Google.  

Thanks.  I was trying to figure it out in relation to the bedroom and bath and decided it looked more like a single.  I just figured based on the number of vehicles out front that there had to be another trailer nearby.

I thought it was her, the MIL, the SIL, her husband and the SIL's 3 children who were older teens or young adults.  Then there were several more little kids.  Where did the little kids come from.  The whole living arrangement was hard for me to figure.

Also if she is showering in the bathroom but not in the shower, the floor will rot out so I guess that is the point of the plywood, but there was also plywood in the living room so I guess maybe there was originally carpet over a plywood floor?

She could benefit from a better goal than just losing weight to live as it seems that doesn't seem to motivate a lot of his patients that we have seen.   I saw the 685 teen show from last night about Justin who wanted to go to college and have a career as a singer.   I had seen it before so I ffed it in a short time.   I did think he had been on the Dr Now show, but he had gone to someone else in west Texas.   I guess my memory isn't what it used to be or never was.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

Well, I wandered over to her page and that was a really weird post.  It went from concern about haters to I AM WOMAN and ended with a quote from Romans about vengeance.   

Looks like Rodney began his pastorate at that church in October 2020; there were a bunch of posts and videos.

there was also an anniversary picture of them.  She looked nice, but she didn't seem to have lost weight and any weight she may have lost seems to have shown up on her husband.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Kenae brought it all on herself.  You don't rant at Dr. Now, and get away with it.     

I bet she hasn't lost an ounce since this was filmed.    I think we saw why no one in the family opposed her eating everything at the beginning of the show, because if she ranted at the family the way she yelled at Dr. Now, they probably do anything to keep her happy.  

That's so smart to have two single wides, at 90 degree angles.     When I lived in New Mexico there were a lot of trailers, and one lady I knew bought her dream home, a triple wide.   That's a double wide, with another one on the lower end of the doubles, (it forms a "T" shape, with the third part is the top of the T, an added on portion, and it's often a family room, or a big gathering space.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

*sigh* This is all starting to become tiresome. 

SCRIPT:

Obese Person (OP):  My name is --. I am fat and it's so hard to be fat.  (insert film of bathing/eating massive quantities/sad family members waiting on OP/sadder living arrangements). I have to get help from Dr. Now; it's the only chance I have or I won't live much longer.

SCENE: tortuous car ride to Houston; lots of grunting and groaning, OP stating "I'm so nervous and I'm starving."

DR NOW (DN):  so, you weigh xx pounds. Tell me about your eating habit. Who buys your food? Why you aren't helping yourself if you know you need to lose da weight?

OP: I am willing to do anything it takes to save my life.

DN: here is a 1200 calorie diet, no carbs, 3 meals a day 400 calories a meal. You need to lose xzzpounds in 2 munt. In the meantime, you call if you need anything

*2 MONTHS LATER* (after another painful journey to Houston)

OP: I'm working so hard to do what I need to lose the weight so I can be approved for weight loss surgery.  I slip up sometimes, but I am working really hard. I should be down to xx minus zz pounds.

DN: you only lost yy pounds. why you aren't doing what I told you to?

OP: I am, I really am... it's so hard... (cry cry)

DN: I'll give you two more months to lose another zz pounds minus a few because we're setting the bar lower.

LAST 7 MINUTES OF THE SHOW (by this time we all know it didn't work and the person is back at home with their sad animals and sad family members, all sitting on the couch eating fast food and staring blankly at the walls)

OP: I really did work hard but Dr. Now didn't appreciate all my hard work. But I feel so much better now that I have gotten down to 520 pounds. I guess the program just wasn't right for me. I'll do this on my own.

Edited by KateHearts
  • LOL 5
  • Love 10
10 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

OMG, TG!!!! I saw your avatar before your name and thought  "she looks very familiar" LOL. I used to be on RAD. 

I agree with you, about the eating plan. It's not made clear that this is a lifelong thing, though the participants should expect that it would be. The surgical program here is different. They don't expect you to lose before the surgery, but you have to go on an OptiFast diet for a few weeks prior to surgery. Most will lose on that, though my landlady's daughter didn't and her surgeon didn't believe her that she'd stuck to it.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Mollysmom said:

If I had been Dr. Now, I would have said, "Well, I guess I can't help you, so I'm done. Good luck!" 

I was expecting something like “while you are at it, Google “morbid obesity” and “survival rates”. And throw in coffins for 600 lb bodies.”!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, CanuckFan said:

The surgical program here is different. They don't expect you to lose before the surgery, but you have to go on an OptiFast diet for a few weeks prior to surgery. Most will lose on that, though my landlady's daughter didn't and her surgeon didn't believe her that she'd stuck to it.

There are some youtube videos of the surgery in England.  The patients have to go on a milk diet for the two weeks prior to the surgery after losing whatever weight is required.   I think perhaps it is supposed to shrink the liver.   I have noticed that  most of the obese Brits are not as heavy as the patients Dr Now and Dr Proctor treat.

Speaking of treating,  I do not understand why Dr Now does not check out his patients more thoroughly on their first visit.  I always thought he did, but we didn't see it because it was boring.  It seems if he had done the heart thing on the first visit, it might possibly have scared Kenae' into putting more "work" into her weight loss "journey. " Then again, maybe not.   He does sometimes look at their chart and remark that they are diabetic, have high BP, etc....  I just would expect the first consultation to be more detailed.

11 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Your link goes to the wrong video...I just searched and found Auntie's Kenae' review. Gonna go heat up some mac and cheese and settle in.

Edit: this woman is adorable

She's hilarious.  Thanks for finding the link.   I am tempted to see if I can find the one she referred to about the 1000 pound sisters.   Her imitation of Kenae's' meltdown was wonderful.  She could do a better Dr Now, and the video is a bit long, but she has subscribers so they probably want a long version since they are paying for it.  I love her term "ungoolable"  She also made a good point about the fact that Rodney is never shown helping his wife bathe or dress.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, Twopper said:

She's hilarious.  Thanks for finding the link.   I am tempted to see if I can find the one she referred to about the 1000 pound sisters.   Her imitation of Kenae's' meltdown was wonderful.  She could do a better Dr Now, and the video is a bit long, but she has subscribers so they probably want a long version since they are paying for it.  I love her term "ungoolable"  She also made a good point about the fact that Rodney is never shown helping his wife bathe or dress.

If you search "auntie's advice 1000 lb sisters" on youtube it comes up with a handful of episode reviews.

I didn't finish watching her Kenae' video last night but will finish it in a little bit. Didn't get to the meltdown yet.

• Love 1

I am not trying to belittle anyone's grieving process. But it is apparent many use trauma as an excuse and crutch for their behaviors.

In August 2018 my youngest daughter Madison passed away suddenly. She was only 12 years old. I am still a wreck most days, but I have not started drinking, doing drugs or eating myself to death to cope. These people need therapy and they need to want to work to change.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Twopper said:

She could do a better Dr Now, and the video is a bit long, but she has subscribers so they probably want a long version since they are paying for it. 

FYI subscribers dont pay on YouTube. Some people have the paid version of Youtube, or choose to be a channel member for extra perks/videos but a subscriber is just like a "follower". I have subscribed to many channels and have never paid a cent (just letting you know in case you were interested in subscribing.)

I just subscribed. She is hilarious.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Texasmom1970 said:

I am not trying to belittle anyone's grieving process. But it is apparent many use trauma as an excuse and crutch for their behaviors.

In August 2018 my youngest daughter Madison passed away suddenly. She was only 12 years old. I am still a wreck most days, but I have not started drinking, doing drugs or eating myself to death to cope. These people need therapy and they need to want to work to change.

I am so very sorry for the loss of your daughter. I wouldn’t think you were trying to belittle anyone’s grief. 

Some people are more emotionally stable and mentally healthy than other people- that’s just a fact. If you take someone who’s already “on the edge” with a food addiction and then they suffer a trauma, I’m not surprised if they end up seeing Dr Now. Where a typical person who’s pretty mentally and emotionally healthy but just likes to over eat suffers a trauma and they put on 20lbs, and check themselves.

There’s a big difference between an excuse and a reason- people like Kenae say they want to change and use their grief as an EXCUSE and a crutch just like you said. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

If you search "auntie's advice 1000 lb sisters" on youtube it comes up with a handful of episode reviews.

I did.  I thought the one on Kenae' was better, but I think Kenae' gave her a lot more to work with---especially with the fit she pitched at Dr Now.

• Love 2

This lady was a hot mess. Not to offend anyone but the super-religious types tend to do badly at weight loss. There is a "God will save me" attitude re: their health that leads to a total lack of autonomy and initiative. My mom is the same way. Not being as careful about COVID or her diabetes because "when the lord says it's my time, it's my time." It's quite sad because although I haven't read the entire bible I'm pretty sure they preach that we need to take care of our bodies as gifts from god.

• Love 14

OK, I have only watched until her first recheck appointment with Dr. Now. She only lost a fraction of what he asked her to, which was 75 pounds in 2 munts (and he said that someone of her size could lose 100 pounds in 1 munt, but that he wasn't asking her to do that). 

Girl just flipped the fuck out at Dr. Now. She's upset that he didn't ask what she did do to make changes. Dr. Now is not there to hold her hand, it is obvious by her lack of weightloss that she didn't follow much of anything.

The early scenes of her in the beginning - I have a problem with her nieces and nephews taking care of her like that. A 16 year old girl shouldn't be responsible for for helping wash her, nor should the boy be responsible for helping her walk around. Nope nope nope.

And when she's sitting in the living room barking for food, then basically gets a big folding table in front of her, FULL of food. 

FFS, what is it with these poundticipants eating with their fingers and licking their fingers? Kenae (I refuse to put the apostropher in) ate a piece of cake WITH HER HANDS. Try a fork lady, it might slow down your eating.

I'll watch the rest of this shitshow tonight, just had to vent. 

• Love 6

I missed the first ten minutes. It sucks for those teens, having to clean Kenae and help her with everything.

FOUR giant cinnamon rolls, and corn dogs?? So gross.

Having a card table in front of the couch. lol

Trying to eat that cake daintily with her hands, ew. Why don't they have plates, and silverware??

That Oreo cake looked really good, though. lol

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

On here some said the corn dogs for breakfast were actually those sausage on a stick with pancake dough around it, they look like a corn dog.  However, I can imagine Kenae eating either one for breakfast. 

They're both high calorie, high fat, and not good.   Especially when you pour a lot of syrup on every bite.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

On here some said the corn dogs for breakfast were actually those sausage on a stick with pancake dough around it, they look like a corn dog.  However, I can imagine Kenae eating either one for breakfast. 

They're both high calorie, high fat, and not good.  

I believe you're correct, CRAZYINALABAMA, because she was squirting that fake syrup all over each bite.   Which by the way when I googled the image, I found it on a site called The 28 Unhealthiest Freezer Aisle Foods

sausage on a stick.jpg

Edited by cynicat
  • Useful 5
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

There’s a big difference between an excuse and a reason- people like Kenae say they want to change and use their grief as an EXCUSE and a crutch just like you said. 

Not just grief is used as an excuse.  I was molested for 12 years by my mother's live-in boyfriend.  She knew it was going on, but pretended she didn't.  That tops what happened to a lot of the "I was molested" stories on this show.  I do not weigh anywhere near 600 pounds, and I've lived a fantastic life because I took the "living well is the best revenge" road.  I have been to therapists to learn how to deal with the understandable anger, fear, and other negative emotions triggered by my past.

It's just like what/how much these people eat.  It's their choice.  They need to choose smarter, live better, dedicate their grief over the loss of a loved one to the idea of making them proud of where the survivor is today.  That's where therapy can help.  These 600 pounders who are eating because someone died should envision the dead person spinning in their grave at the idea that someone is using their death as an excuse for overeating.  

/rant

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Not just grief is used as an excuse.  I was molested for 12 years by my mother's live-in boyfriend.  She knew it was going on, but pretended she didn't.  That tops what happened to a lot of the "I was molested" stories on this show.  I do not weigh anywhere near 600 pounds, and I've lived a fantastic life because I took the "living well is the best revenge" road.  I have been to therapists to learn how to deal with the understandable anger, fear, and other negative emotions triggered by my past.

It's just like what/how much these people eat.  It's their choice.  They need to choose smarter, live better, dedicate their grief over the loss of a loved one to the idea of making them proud of where the survivor is today.  That's where therapy can help.  These 600 pounders who are eating because someone died should envision the dead person spinning in their grave at the idea that someone is using their death as an excuse for overeating.  

/rant

I’m very sorry that happened to you. You have lead a successful life because made choices to do so. I’ve seen the people that have success with Dr Now’s program choose to be empowered. Using it as a tool to lose weight and better their lives. Not as a magic cure-all. 

They also take responsibility for how they got there- and not in that fake way Kenae did. 

• Love 4
On 2/5/2021 at 9:53 AM, Texasmom1970 said:

Oh my gosh; I'm so sorry.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

/rant

God bless you.  I think some people don't really know what it is to live with true adversity.  Some of their stories are not so much about trauma and damage but excuses to be inert.

I heard somewhere that a lot of very successful people (i.e., CEOs of big companies, for example) are children of alcoholics. They chose to overcome the negative influences in their lives.  Others never "get over it," so to speak.  I see it on Intervention as well- people who never faced their childhood traumas and spiral down, feeling helpless (on top of that is often a genetic predisposition to addiction).   Interesting how one's childhood shapes their adult choices- it can go either way. 

I think that's why this show has become such a downer. We haven't seen many success stories of late- no one who acknowledges that they got dealt some crap in their life and let themselves go because of it- but are now ready to move on and let the past go. 

I don't know how Dr. Now does it day after day. His job entails so much more than just helping people lose weight. He has to deal with delusional behavior, dysfunctional families, outright lying/BS, and ridiculous outbursts like Kenae laid on him this week.  

• Love 7
8 hours ago, cynicat said:

I believe you're correct, CRAZYINALABAMA, because she was squirting that fake syrup all over each bite.   Which by the way when I googled the image, I found it on a site called The 28 Unhealthiest Freezer Aisle Foods

Nooo, not my Eggo blueberry waffles! (Though I get the Nutri-Grain version, not that that's probably much better.)

Corn dog and pancake-wrapped sausage seem like they're basically the same thing (I wouldn't eat either one) - a tube of fatty meat-like substance wrapped in a bread-like substance. Given the makeup of most industrial junk food, the ingredients probably aren't that different.

Now I want pancakes. Might have to try the single-serving recipe (it makes three pancakes) I found a couple weeks ago for dinner. I even have white whole-wheat flour.

• Love 1