Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E06: Kenae's Story

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Now I want pancakes. Might have to try the single-serving recipe (it makes three pancakes) I found a couple weeks ago for dinner. I even have white whole-wheat flour.

I got an accidental 'gift' when Instacart brought me a wrong bag in addition to my two proper bags... one of the items in the bag was a bag of organic chocolate chip pancake mix.  I have never used pancake mix before, but I decided to give it a try as exactly a single serve version and it wasn't bad at all... easier to turn into single serve than a real recipe which inevitably makes 2-3 servings...

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Hellga said:

I got an accidental 'gift' when Instacart brought me a wrong bag in addition to my two proper bags... one of the items in the bag was a bag of organic chocolate chip pancake mix.  I have never used pancake mix before, but I decided to give it a try as exactly a single serve version and it wasn't bad at all... easier to turn into single serve than a real recipe which inevitably makes 2-3 servings...

This came from a site called One Dish Kitchen which has all kinds of recipes for cooking for one. For most meals I like having leftovers, but for dessert-type stuff it's nice not to have to make a whole batch when you're craving a brownie...or pancakes...cuz then you don't have to eat the whole batch yourself.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, KateHearts said:

I heard somewhere that a lot of very successful people (i.e., CEOs of big companies, for example) are children of alcoholics. They chose to overcome the negative influences in their lives. 

🤔 Interesting! I’ve never heard this but I have the...pleasure of working closely with the CEO of my company occasionally and he has mentioned that both his parents were alcoholics. 

I don't know how Dr. Now does it day after day. His job entails so much more than just helping people lose weight. He has to deal with delusional behavior, dysfunctional families, outright lying/BS, and ridiculous outbursts like Kenae laid on him this week.  

I found it fascinating watching Kanae try to recalibrate when Dr. Now wasn’t backing down to her losing her temper. I think she actually cried out of shock that someone—with authority—DARED talk back to her. She needs more tough love. 

I know many find Dr. Now’s bedside manor old fashioned and cold, but I for one love it and hope that more doctors tell it like it is coming out of Covid. The doctor’s office is not a place for coddling. That doesn’t mean a doctor has to be cruel, but I would much rather my doctor tell it straight than tiptoe around my ego. 

I will say Kanae was pretty well spoken and fairly quick and intelligent. I guess she reads a lot while plopped down all day. That’s what I’d do. That monologue was quite something. She’s certainly a put-on-a-show kind of girl, and it’s interesting how she has manipulated her entire family including kids who are not hers to kowtow to her every whim and mood - and she’s not even very mobile. She is quite the manipulator and I hope she starts using her “skills” for good, for her health and to stop holding that poor loving family hostage!

Edited by HelloOutThere
Forgot words!
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, ams1001 said:

This came from a site called One Dish Kitchen which has all kinds of recipes for cooking for one. For most meals I like having leftovers, but for dessert-type stuff it's nice not to have to make a whole batch when you're craving a brownie...or pancakes...cuz then you don't have to eat the whole batch yourself.

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.  Yes, deserts are harder because often times the egg is the size-limiting factor.  You can take flour down to 1/3 cup or whatever, but an egg is an egg is an egg... maybe I should try using quail eggs for super small dessert batches?  I only ever had quail eggs once, and they were served with some kind of a sauce so I am not sure I even properly tasted them. 

Kenae was shown cooking huge trays of food, but I have to wonder how they deal with the leftovers... do they actually have them, or does she just 'volunteer' to dispose of them so that the family can have something freshly made for every meal?

23 hours ago, KateHearts said:

I don't know how Dr. Now does it day after day. His job entails so much more than just helping people lose weight. He has to deal with delusional behavior, dysfunctional families, outright lying/BS, and ridiculous outbursts like Kenae laid on him this week.  

Virtually every job in healthcare involves more than its fair share of babysitting of lazy, delusional or otherwise unpleasant characters.  With very rare exceptions, all locations, regardless of socioeconomic, racial, ethnic etc. mix fall out along the bell curve with 10% super nice people who are the reason you actually continue going to work, 10% godawful jerks whom you are legally and ethically obliged to help anyway, and the remaining 80% are an entirely unremarkable, forgettable mass.

• Useful 1
31 minutes ago, Hellga said:

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.  Yes, deserts are harder because often times the egg is the size-limiting factor.  You can take flour down to 1/3 cup or whatever, but an egg is an egg is an egg... maybe I should try using quail eggs for super small dessert batches?  I only ever had quail eggs once, and they were served with some kind of a sauce so I am not sure I even properly tasted them. 

I guess that's where liquid eggs in a carton can come in handy. 

• Love 3
On 2/6/2021 at 5:14 AM, cynicat said:

I believe you're correct, CRAZYINALABAMA, because she was squirting that fake syrup all over each bite.   Which by the way when I googled the image, I found it on a site called The 28 Unhealthiest Freezer Aisle Foods

Oh, barf.  I have just lost my appetite for lunch, and I see Mr TWoPper is hanging around the breakfast table like a cat that is convinced its overflowing  food bowl is empty.  

I was surprised about the Eggo blueberry waffles.   I usually keep a box of the original or some multi-grain ones in my freezer for a quick breakfast if I am running late or just not in the mood for cereal or eggs.  Also we like Amy's roasted veggie pizza and I get PF Chang's Mongolian beef fairly often so I was a little surprised to see them listed among the worst.  I wouldn't expect them to be the most healthy, but not at the bottom.  There is a local grocery/deli/ wine and beer place near me that makes the best spaghetti casseroles ever.  It probably has too much sodium, but then I don't eat them every night.  And we occasionally have the Marie Callendar's pot pie, but I don't recall seeing the bacon variety of it.  It would never tempt me. 

21 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Now I want pancakes. Might have to try the single-serving recipe (it makes three pancakes) I found a couple weeks ago for dinner. I even have white whole-wheat flour.

We don't eat pancakes often, but when I do I either make me own batter or use Bisquick.  Mr TWoPper used to be the pancake cooker, but he is out of commission for the time being.   We have them with bacon and I cook the pancakes in the bacon grease and serve with Sheen's cane syrup for me and local honey for Mr. T.    Don't judge.

as for Kenae,  at least she didn't eat a family size lasagna ala Melissa.   I did think they were corndogs as I was unfamiliar with the sausage dogs, but it was gross nevertheless. 

She mentioned she had to get rid of the food they already had, but she should have said we had to eat up the food we all ready had.  I get that as they don't look like they are rolling in dough---well, the money kind, because those corndog thingies are pretty doughy---and I know the filming is on the cheap, but maybe they should be given a food allowance to stock up some healthy alternatives.   All the adults in that family could use some group therapy.  I noticed in the family picture, there are a lot of very fluffy people.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Hellga said:

Virtually every job in healthcare involves more than its fair share of babysitting of lazy, delusional or otherwise unpleasant characters.  With very rare exceptions, all locations, regardless of socioeconomic, racial, ethnic etc. mix fall out along the bell curve with 10% super nice people who are the reason you actually continue going to work, 10% godawful jerks whom you are legally and ethically obliged to help anyway, and the remaining 80% are an entirely unremarkable, forgettable mass.

I am a healthcare provider so I do get your point. I do it because I enjoy trying to make a difference in that 80%. Not that all of them are "jerks," but that they have a need for more education regarding doing their part in their health. I don't find them forgettable.

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, Twopper said:

We don't eat pancakes often, but when I do I either make me own batter or use Bisquick.  Mr TWoPper used to be the pancake cooker, but he is out of commission for the time being.   We have them with bacon and I cook the pancakes in the bacon grease and serve with Sheen's cane syrup for me and local honey for Mr. T.    Don't judge.

I usually only eat pancakes on Christmas morning (family tradition - pancakes, bacon, cinnamon rolls. though we skipped it this year; I made myself cinnamon rolls, though), and occasionally when I find myself at a diner (which despite living in the Diner Capital of the World, I don't go to very often, but when I do I usually get pancakes or French toast). Also the only time I eat bacon. My mom does the bacon in the microwave, though, so no grease to cook in. I use real maple syrup at home.

I did make the pancakes, and threw in a handful of mini-chocolate chips. They were pretty good, but it was still too much for one person (well, at least for this one person). It boggles my mind when I see the quantities of food some of these people can eat.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I did make the pancakes, and threw in a handful of mini-chocolate chips. They were pretty good, but it was still too much for one person (well, at least for this one person). It boggles my mind when I see the quantities of food some of these people can eat.

If I have leftovers, I freeze them.  For some reason waffles seem to freeze better. 

I am still grossed out thinking about the syrup over corn dogs.  🤢  Why is there no barfing button? 

And i still wonder why Dr Now didn't address her medical conditions at the outset.  I suspect her heart issue existed then.

• Love 1
On 2/4/2021 at 4:46 PM, KateHearts said:

*sigh* This is all starting to become tiresome. 

SCRIPT:

Obese Person (OP):  My name is --. I am fat and it's so hard to be fat.  (insert film of bathing/eating massive quantities/sad family members waiting on OP/sadder living arrangements). I have to get help from Dr. Now; it's the only chance I have or I won't live much longer.

SCENE: tortuous car ride to Houston; lots of grunting and groaning, OP stating "I'm so nervous and I'm starving."

DR NOW (DN):  so, you weigh xx pounds. Tell me about your eating habit. Who buys your food? Why you aren't helping yourself if you know you need to lose da weight?

OP: I am willing to do anything it takes to save my life.

DN: here is a 1200 calorie diet, no carbs, 3 meals a day 400 calories a meal. You need to lose xzzpounds in 2 munt. In the meantime, you call if you need anything

*2 MONTHS LATER* (after another painful journey to Houston)

OP: I'm working so hard to do what I need to lose the weight so I can be approved for weight loss surgery.  I slip up sometimes, but I am working really hard. I should be down to xx minus zz pounds.

DN: you only lost yy pounds. why you aren't doing what I told you to?

OP: I am, I really am... it's so hard... (cry cry)

DN: I'll give you two more months to lose another zz pounds minus a few because we're setting the bar lower.

LAST 7 MINUTES OF THE SHOW (by this time we all know it didn't work and the person is back at home with their sad animals and sad family members, all sitting on the couch eating fast food and staring blankly at the walls)

OP: I really did work hard but Dr. Now didn't appreciate all my hard work. But I feel so much better now that I have gotten down to 520 pounds. I guess the program just wasn't right for me. I'll do this on my own.

This is so on point 😂

As soon as I hear one of the pounders refer to "slipping up a few times," I've come to realize that's probably their way of saying they put forth about zero effort in sticking to the prescribed diet.  

Likewise, I've discovered the words "I'm going to prove to Dr. Now ..." are a precursor to failure.  

I need more these pounders to provide snarkworthy memorable lines, such as Penny's "where's MY yellow brick road???" bullshit.  That shit is far more entertaining to me than a maniacal meltdown in the office a la what Kanae provided.  

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

I need more these pounders to provide snarkworthy memorable lines, such as Penny's "where's MY yellow brick road???" bullshit.  

"Do you believe in GOD, Dr. Now?" - Schenee, spoken from her toilet throne.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

"Do you believe in GOD, Dr. Now?" - Schenee, spoken from her toilet throne.

I was trying to remember which pounder went off on that tangent.  

*heading to Discovery+ to track down the Schenee episode*  😄 

• LOL 3

Ashley who previously appeared on Catfish episodes, and boasted about having hundreds of online fake profiles, also went off on Dr. Now, and then left his office.   When she walked back in, there was no one in the waiting room, every door, except the door to the examination rooms was locked, the reception desk was closed.    I suspect everyone but Dr. Now, and the camera crew had locked themselves in for safety.  

Of course, Schenee and the Do You Believe in God speech from her potty chair was epic too.

I looked online, and those Jimmy Dean sausage and pancake on a stick things, that Kenae had four of, are 250 calories each, plus everything else on her plate, plus syrup, so the pancake things alone were over 1,000 calories.  

Kenae is the person who would be offended at a murder charge after killing someone on camera in front of witnesses while holding her driver's license in full view.  "How DARE you assume that was me?!"

If she put as much energy into walking an hour a day as she put into her temper tantrums, she'd lose the weight.  

I still think the solution is to move the refrigerator a half mile away from the house. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Drogo said:

I still think the solution is to move the refrigerator a half mile away from the house. 

Great idea!

And they need to make sure that no one else will bring things to her from it.  They all know where to get drive-through food, and she could barely get to the car, much less drive it.  (NOTE:  Park car next to refrigerator.)

Many of us have opined that if a person has eaten themselves to a position of too fat to get out of bed, they should be brought their 1,200 calories a day and an unending supply of water.  Then close the door to their room and let them scream bloody murder, turn up the TV or a stereo to drown them out, and ignore their demands for more food.  I'm always bumfuzzled at the obese person or family members who talk about how angry the obese person gets if they don't get food.  So what?  Let them get angry.  They are no physical danger to anyone if they can't get out of bed.  And once they CAN get out of bed, make sure there's no junk food in the house.  And if they get to where they can drive, park the car 1/2 mile away.

Either that, or fill their bedroom with Twinkies and let them eat themselves to death.  

Yeah, I'm tired of being sympathetic to people who abuse others just in order to have what THEY want.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Great idea!

And they need to make sure that no one else will bring things to her from it.  They all know where to get drive-through food, and she could barely get to the car, much less drive it.  (NOTE:  Park car next to refrigerator.)

Many of us have opined that if a person has eaten themselves to a position of too fat to get out of bed, they should be brought their 1,200 calories a day and an unending supply of water.  Then close the door to their room and let them scream bloody murder, turn up the TV or a stereo to drown them out, and ignore their demands for more food.  I'm always bumfuzzled at the obese person or family members who talk about how angry the obese person gets if they don't get food.  So what?  Let them get angry.  They are no physical danger to anyone if they can't get out of bed.  And once they CAN get out of bed, make sure there's no junk food in the house.  And if they get to where they can drive, park the car 1/2 mile away.

Either that, or fill their bedroom with Twinkies and let them eat themselves to death.  

Yeah, I'm tired of being sympathetic to people who abuse others just in order to have what THEY want.

There can be physical danger. Someone will have to enter the room at some point in time. Things can be thrown. They will have to approach the bed to bring them food. The person can be hit and when you weigh 600 plus pounds you can put a lot of force behind the punch. Also while its easy to say ` ignore them` the unending gripping and verbal abuse would get old fast and you would do anything to have some peace and quiet. Sometimes the bed bound person will report the care giver as being neglectful. I have never experienced any of this but I have a good imagination. When you separate an addict from what they crave it gets nasty. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
28 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

There can be physical danger. Someone will have to enter the room at some point in time. Things can be thrown. They will have to approach the bed to bring them food. The person can be hit and when you weigh 600 plus pounds you can put a lot of force behind the punch. Also while its easy to say ` ignore them` the unending gripping and verbal abuse would get old fast and you would do anything to have some peace and quiet. Sometimes the bed bound person will report the care giver as being neglectful. I have never experienced any of this but I have a good imagination. When you separate an addict from what they crave it gets nasty. 

So let's say the bedbound person can report the caregiver as being neglectful, in spite of the fact that the caregiver is enforcing doctor's orders for care.  Couldn't the caregiver report the bedbound person for abuse if there is a physical attack or if something is thrown with the intent of causing bodily harm?  Maybe the bedbound person needs to face accountability for THEIR behavior.

I get that the problem is that the caregiver is usually a relative who is being paid as a caregiver.  There are lots of financial and family dynamics at play.  I had to walk away from a relative who was being emotionally abusive to me; the advice for me to walk away came from HIS psychiatrist.  The doctor told me that I couldn't change the relative's behavior, but I could change my life for the better by forcing the relative to deal with his needs without my help.  (I was not being paid to help this relative, and even if I had, I'd have chosen to walk away once the doctor helped me to see that the relative needed help, but that he was not entitled to abuse me to get it.)

• Love 6
On 2/8/2021 at 12:41 PM, Persnickety1 said:

I need more these pounders to provide snarkworthy memorable lines, such as Penny's "where's MY yellow brick road???" bullshit.  That shit is far more entertaining to me than a maniacal meltdown in the office a la what Kanae provided.  

Ow, my leg.

Eat death, Lindsey. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

I'm a Texan and in most areas of the state it is not a good idea to live in a trailer but sometimes economics doesn't allow for anything else so you'd better have a plan of where to go during a tornado.  Been in tornado situations my entire 50+ years of life and it is nerve wracking but you have to have a plan.  We installed an 8'x8' steel safe room in our master bedroom and have spent many a spring storm in there.  We live way out on a ranch and we always lose electricity and cell service once a storm is almost on top of us so you literally sit in the storm shelter waiting for the worst but it is built to withstand an EF 5 so if the whole house crumbles around us we will be ok....still sucks when they roll in but hey, that is life in the Lone Star state.

BTW, Kenea lives in Nacogdoches(Nacanowhere! as we say in Texas) and that is east Texas which is prone to a lot of tornados. Yikes!

Edited by Raiderred
needed to add
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I'm watching part of the Supersized episode (no I don't know why), and tuned in just in time to see her disrespectful, and nasty tirade against Dr. Now.         I was hoping for her to succeed before that, but not after she went off on someone who was trying to help her.       Dr. Paradise should ask her why she's so nasty, not about not mourning her mother.  

• Love 5
On 2/4/2021 at 3:32 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The way she turned on Dr. Now at that first follow up appointment was appalling.    It certainly wasn't a shock to her husband either.  I think her rage shows exactly what it was like in that house, if she didn't get exactly what she wanted.   

On 2/4/2021 at 7:32 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think we saw why no one in the family opposed her eating everything at the beginning of the show, because if she ranted at the family the way she yelled at Dr. Now, they probably do anything to keep her happy.  

When Dr. Now asked her about whether anyone in the house had spoken to her about her overeating, she was actually proud of being indignant that they would even think to dare to bring it up with her.

On 2/9/2021 at 7:48 AM, Drogo said:

That would only result in fitter enabling family members...or a big uptick in the sale of motorized wheelchairs!

On 2/4/2021 at 2:38 PM, Pepper Mostly said:

When faced with the reality of what they'll have to do to succeed, they lash out, deny, question Dr. Now, cast aspersions, deflect, claim they're "too busy"...on and on. Because no matter what they say, they are not prepared to to whatever it takes. 

Yes, in her tirade to Dr. Now, she started saying something about how hard it had been because of having to make time to do the exercises, but then I guess she realized that she was implying that she did the exercises and she knew she didn't, so she quickly pivoted and said something like "the exercises that I can't do because they hurt my knees"...so...it was hard because of having to make time for the exercises that she didn't do?  Sure, Jan.  Plus I loved how she said that going out to the car each day left her too exhausted to do the exercises...once again, she knows better than Dr. Now about what she should do.

• Love 1
On 2/5/2021 at 12:59 PM, ClareWalks said:

This lady was a hot mess. Not to offend anyone but the super-religious types tend to do badly at weight loss. There is a "God will save me" attitude re: their health that leads to a total lack of autonomy and initiative. My mom is the same way. Not being as careful about COVID or her diabetes because "when the lord says it's my time, it's my time." It's quite sad because although I haven't read the entire bible I'm pretty sure they preach that we need to take care of our bodies as gifts from god.

Also, gluttony is one of the 7 deadly sins.

• Love 2