Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

23 minutes ago, Makai said:

I’m not familiar with them so I could be wrong  but that has the hallmarks of an incel channel.

I took one for the team and perused the other titles -- a bunch of misogynist "Justice for Johnny" shit, and a good bit of "Free Britney" stuff slamming her parasitic family.

So, I don't know, but not someone whose content I'd watch.  (To be fair, I wouldn't watch anyone pontificate for 20 minutes on this topic.)

• Like 1
  • Useful 7
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

Can I ask why you keep referring to Shia as Elijah? I noticed it in all your posts about the topic. 

Thank you so much for pointing that out.  In my head, I'm seeing Shia but for some reason I want to call him Elijah Wood.  A lot.  Apparently.  Even though I know the difference between the two. 

Oh well, maybe it's....

the lord of the rings GIF

• Wink 1
  • LOL 4

I'll be honest and say sometimes I don't see the misogyny some people here see discussing certain celebs, but I've also noticed how disgusting YouTube comments can be about/to women on Youtube. It's really bad. I don't know how some of the content creators deal with it. I also think it's incels who flood women's spaces due to their contempt for women. I even experience where I post something benign, and I get a lot of rude, hateful comments from men. I'd say more but don't want to get any more OT. 

• Sad 4
7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Thank you so much for pointing that out.  In my head, I'm seeing Shia but for some reason I want to call him Elijah Wood.  A lot.  Apparently.  Even though I know the difference between the two. 

Oh well, maybe it's....

the lord of the rings GIF

lol, got it. No worries. I asked only because I started wondering if maybe Shia wasn’t his real name and I just didn’t know that.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

In my head, I'm seeing Shia but for some reason I want to call him Elijah Wood.  A lot.  Apparently.  Even though I know the difference between the two. 

Yes, thank you for clearing this up. I was googling if Shia had changed his name when converting to Catholicism. LOL!

7 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I also think it's incels who flood women's spaces due to their contempt for women.

Oh, it's women hating on other women too. Sometimes being even nastier than the men. 

• Sad 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

Tbh I don't understand why Olivia Wilde produced such a spectacular self-own. It was completely unnecessary. And presenting it in such a prominent interview in a big trade publication. She had to have known that LaBeouf had hard evidence, both in writing and the video she sent him. Why lie in such a way that can be easily disproven?

And yeah, unfortunately strategically it plays right into Shia's half-baked redemption tour. It was also perfectly done by his team: Letting her make her grand pronouncements in print, then leaking everything for maximum effect.

Though I do think it doesn't only make Wilde look bad for the lies she's been telling about how things went down with Shia. It also makes her actions towards Pugh look bad. Pugh has been distancing herself from the project for some time and Wilde has been very openly praising and courting Pugh, seemingly trying to engage her and make her do more PR for the movie. While it seems that one of Pugh's main problems was that Wilde didn't create a comfortable working environment for her, for instance with LaBeouf. So Wilde spinning that narrative about what a protector she was for Pugh now also looks like guilt tripping and very manipulative. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Yes, thank you for clearing this up. I was googling if Shia had changed his name when converting to Catholicism. LOL!

Oh, it's women hating on other women too. Sometimes being even nastier than the men. 

I don't know stats as far as misogyny on YouTube distribution. Women can definitely be awful too, but most of the really vile stuff I've seen on YouTube when it comes to women has been posted by men. Could just be the channels I've watched. 

4 hours ago, katha said:

Though I do think it doesn't only make Wilde look bad for the lies she's been telling about how things went down with Shia. It also makes her actions towards Pugh look bad. Pugh has been distancing herself from the project for some time and Wilde has been very openly praising and courting Pugh, seemingly trying to engage her and make her do more PR for the movie. While it seems that one of Pugh's main problems was that Wilde didn't create a comfortable working environment for her, for instance with LaBeouf. So Wilde spinning that narrative about what a protector she was for Pugh now also looks like guilt tripping and very manipulative. 

I don't have a dog in this fight but Pugh is the only one here who seemingly hasn't done anything wrong.  I agree with you that from the outside looking in Wilde comes off as both a liar and very manipulative in regards to that spin.  I know that a lot of male directors have gotten away with far worse but that's not going to stop me from side eyeing Wilde in the future.

• Like 4
  • Love 12
19 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

He also didn't know how to pronounce Florence Pugh's name.

I think the moment I fell in love with Florence Pugh was in an interview when someone asked how to pronounce her last name and she made little air guns and said it's like you're in a gun fight and you're going "pew pew, pew pew" LOL

In everything I've seen of her she seems really laid back and pretty easy going, which makes me think things had to be pretty bad for it to get to the point that Olivia felt the need to make that odd comment about Florence having to learn to deal. 

• Like 1
  • Love 11
27 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:
19 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

He also didn't know how to pronounce Florence Pugh's name.

I think the moment I fell in love with Florence Pugh was in an interview when someone asked how to pronounce her last name and she made little air guns and said it's like you're in a gun fight and you're going "pew pew, pew pew" LOL

I've never heard of Florence Pugh but now I'm wondering how else you could pronounce her name, other than "pew"/rhymes with "Hugh".  Pug, like the dog?

• Like 2
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I've never heard of Florence Pugh but now I'm wondering how else you could pronounce her name, other than "pew"/rhymes with "Hugh".  Pug, like the dog?

Exactly- I always assumed it rhymed with “Hugh.” 🤷‍♀️

• Love 3
9 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I'll give him this, he knows how to handle a crowd (This is Harry Styles, btw)

I’m not quite a fan, and honestly, every clip I see of his concerts, he’s always wandering around the stage or acting goofy. I’m sure his fans love it but it seems his shows aren’t tightly structured.

• Love 1

Le Beouf made a whole movie about his relationship with his father, Honey Boy, that paints him as abusive. Now that he found Jesus he's backtracking and saying he never was.

"He was always there...and I'd done a world press tour about how f***ed he was as a man," he added.

LaBeouf, who wrote the screenplay for Honey Boy during a previous in-treatment program, said that the film was basically a "woe is me" story about his life. The 36-year-old actor revealed that he embellished elements of the story in order to create a narrative of a "wounded, fractured child" that audiences could root for.

"Honey Boy is basically a big 'woe is me' story about how f**ed my father is, and I wronged him. I remember getting on the phone with him, and him being like, 'I never read this stuff in the script you sent.' Because I didn't put that s**t in there," LaBeouf explained.

Adding, "I turned the knob up on certain s**t that wasn't real."

I can't decide if he actually made it up and is remorseful, or it was true and he's lying now to try and show himself as more mature.and furthering his narrative as a good Christian boy.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
8 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

In everything I've seen of her she seems really laid back and pretty easy going, which makes me think things had to be pretty bad for it to get to the point that Olivia felt the need to make that odd comment about Florence having to learn to deal. 

image.png.adacae205a0a1f3f2d8d26311ffd6610.png

I said in another part of the forums that there seems to be  a piece where Pugh isn't entirely comfortable with the focus of the press, since she cited the attention her relationship with Zach Braff got as one of the reasons they broke up. If that's the case, this behind the scenes drama is probably not helping, especially since it seems like Olivia Wilde is trying really hard to control the narrative. Is this the first time Wilde has directed something? I know Styles is not an actor, since this is only his second role, but has Wilde been behind the camera before?

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Is this the first time Wilde has directed something?

No.  I really only "know" her as Leslie and Alexander Cockburn's daughter, but I remember reading this film is her second time behind the camera.  Checking her IMDb page, it's her second time directing a feature film; three years ago she directed Booksmart, a buddy comedy about two teen girls I now want to check out, and, prior to that, she'd directed a short film and a couple of music videos (and she directed another short between Booksmart and Don't Worry Darling).

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 8/25/2022 at 8:55 AM, Notabug said:

Looks like her to me.  Just no hairstyling, makeup or stage lighting.  I'd say she looks more real than most in Hollywood.  Not that she hasn't had work done, it just doesn't look to me like she's reached Meg Ryan or Nicole Kidman levels of cosmetic procedures.

She looks vaguely like a Klingon to me, but a lot of that is because she's making a face.  I don't think that's her normal face.

50 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Not the first to have that thought:

"Hmmm, I could date this guy who's old enough to be my father and whose biggest movie was released the year I was born... OR I could date someone my own age who can actually keep up with me! Thanks, common sense!"

• Like 2
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, kiddo82 said:

Twitter is an absolute cesspool.  However, some of those tweets from the DiCaprio article had me laughing out loud.  I can never, no matter how hard I try, quit that ap.  

This is 100% the twitter content I love.  Everyone letting their inner comedian out and punching up when appropriate.  And some of it is it so witty!  Even book twitter got in on the dunks:

• LOL 8
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I can see that, but I still think it's sad he never begins a relationship with anyone who has a fully formed brain. 

Alternately, calling Camilla Morrone an idiot isn't a compliment. Unless you didn't mean it as one, because the internet doesn't give hints as to tone.

To a point, I'm sympathetic to DiCaprio, because if he broke up with her or she broke up with him, he's closing in on fifty, and so he's going to get the side-eye no matter what.  See also Florence Pugh and Zach Braff, because Braff is Leo's age at a geriatric forty-seven. I would imagine that relationship ended partly because of Twitter and whatever other cesspool being like, Hurr, hurr, hurr, he's probably got an old man smell. Because it isn't ageism if you couch it in a joke. Or something. It's just interesting since we just finished talking about Olivia Wilde and Harry Styles, who are a decade apart in age. I wonder if his brain is fully formed.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Alternately, calling Camilla Morrone an idiot

That's not at all what anyone who referenced a fully-formed brain implied.  They are referring to the fact the human brain (specifically, the part that performs reasoning, impulse control, evaluation of potential consequences, etc. -- in other words, the things needed to make good, informed decisions) is not fully developed until around age 25. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 15
48 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Alternately, calling Camilla Morrone an idiot isn't a compliment. Unless you didn't mean it as one, because the internet doesn't give hints as to tone.

To a point, I'm sympathetic to DiCaprio, because if he broke up with her or she broke up with him, he's closing in on fifty, and so he's going to get the side-eye no matter what.  See also Florence Pugh and Zach Braff, because Braff is Leo's age at a geriatric forty-seven. I would imagine that relationship ended partly because of Twitter and whatever other cesspool being like, Hurr, hurr, hurr, he's probably got an old man smell. Because it isn't ageism if you couch it in a joke. Or something. It's just interesting since we just finished talking about Olivia Wilde and Harry Styles, who are a decade apart in age. I wonder if his brain is fully formed.

There’s a difference between being a decade apart and being old enough to be your partner’s parent. IMHO.

• Like 2
  • Love 13
44 minutes ago, Bastet said:

That's not at all what anyone who referenced the age 25/fully-formed brain benchmark implied.  They are referring to the fact the human brain (specifically, the part that performs reasoning, impulse control, evaluation of potential consequences, etc. -- in other words, the things needed to make good, informed decisions) is not fully developed until around age 25. 

10 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

There’s a difference between being a decade apart and being old enough to be your partner’s parent. IMHO.

All the above. I wouldn’t call a young woman an idiot because she’s under 25, and I am not super uptight about age gaps. But I think there should be limits, and men who make a point to go after women young enough to be their kids are creepy. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 11
3 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

But I think there should be limits, and men who make a point to go after women young enough to be their kids are creepy. 

Yeah, when it's a one off, okay, maybe the pair hit it off despite the generational difference, but when it's pretty much every person you date is around or under 25 it gets to be a "type" and I do side eye 40 somethings whose type is that much younger than themselves. And the father down they go from 25 the more I side eye. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • Love 15
1 minute ago, Mabinogia said:

Yeah, when it's a one off, okay, maybe the pair hit it off despite the generational difference, but when it's pretty much every person you date is around or under 25 it gets to be a "type" and I do side eye 40 somethings whose type is that much younger than themselves. And the father down they go from 25 the more I side eye. 

Yep, I am really creeped out by Dane Cook. 

• Love 7
34 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Right.  And the humor inherent in the DiCaprio situation would be missing in the Braff situation because with the latter it is simply making fun of an age gap, which isn't inherently humorous and in some cases is creepy. And Braff doesn't have a rep for dating younger.

Whereas it isn't so much the age gap where the humor is being mined in the DiCaprio situation but the repeating pattern that he has seemingly never deviated from.  He has a string of young girlfriends... ok that in and of itself isn't funny, but the fact that none of them were above the age of 25 when they parted, and some of those relationships were long term. And even as he ages, they remain the same age, under 25.   It may not be a conscious thing on his part at all, and probably isn't, but it just so happens that is how the relationships play out.  But the fact that they are all so consistent is where the punch line comes from.  It is a gift of basic observational humor.

• Like 4
  • Love 17

After his kid's cereal Snoop has a children's show Doggyland, and Dolly Parton is selling dog clothes, under the name Doggy Parton.

“‘Doggyland’ to me would be an animated cartoon series designed for kids,” the 50-year-old says in the preview video to the children’s series. “I say preschoolers, toddlers … and eventually kids of all ages because it’s so influential, it’s so educational and it’s so fundamentally smart the way we put it together with song, dance and education.”

He continued, “You can just be you and be accepted in ‘Doggyland,’ and what’s what these characters represent — diversity, so kids can learn to love each other from the beginning, because hate is what’s taught. Love is what’s in their heart.”

Available on Amazon, this lineup of toys, accessories, clothing and collars made just for your pooch is just what you would expect from Parton. There’s lots of pink, plenty of sparkle and a little country-western to tie it all together.

True to her philanthropic nature, a portion of all purchases will also go toward supporting Willa B Farms, a non-profit animal rescue.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

Right.  And the humor inherent in the DiCaprio situation would be missing in the Braff situation because with the latter it is simply making fun of an age gap, which isn't inherently humorous and in some cases is creepy. And Braff doesn't have a rep for dating younger.

Whereas it isn't so much the age gap where the humor is being mined in the DiCaprio situation but the repeating pattern that he has seemingly never deviated from.  He has a string of young girlfriends... ok that in and of itself isn't funny, but the fact that none of them were above the age of 25 when they parted, and some of those relationships were long term. And even as he ages, they remain the same age, under 25.   It may not be a conscious thing on his part at all, and probably isn't, but it just so happens that is how the relationships play out.  But the fact that they are all so consistent is where the punch line comes from.  It is a gift of basic observational humor.

Right.  I've said before that I don't pay age gaps any mind.  If two adults are consenting then what happens between them is not my business.  I honestly could not care less about who Mr. DiCaprio takes to bed.  That said, I don't think it's out of bounds to find humor in this pattern.  

Edited by kiddo82
  • Like 1
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

And Twitter is absolutely dunking on Leonardo DiCaprio. Can we guess why?

9 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Not the first to have that thought:

8 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

"Hmmm, I could date this guy who's old enough to be my father and whose biggest movie was released the year I was born... OR I could date someone my own age who can actually keep up with me! Thanks, common sense!"

I have never understood the appeal of him, I don't think he's good looking, I've never heard an interview where he struck me as being particularly charming, & I think he's pathetic for dating so far out of his age range, yet I hear women (and gay men) act like he's the hottest thing ever. What am I missing?

• Like 6
  • Applause 5
  • Love 2

Maybe some of it’s a holdover from Titanic. I’m not so big on Leo now but I was definitely one of those squealing teenage girls who wanted a Jack Dawson because I don’t think it’s too much to ask for a guy to change my life in three days and save me from a maritime disaster. :)

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 16
  • Love 2

I never saw Leo as a heartthrob--even 8 year old me thought Billy Zane was way better looking--but I was sort of impressed that DiCaprio didn't just coast on love interest roles after that because he definitely could have. So, I have followed his career for years because I did genuinely enjoy a lot of the movies he was in. I started to get pretty irritated with the narrative that he was owed an Oscar, though. 

• Like 2
  • Love 8
36 minutes ago, Zella said:

I never saw Leo as a heartthrob--even 8 year old me thought Billy Zane was way better looking

I was a 30  year old woman and I thought Billy Zane was better looking.

Leo isn't unattractive.  He is just kind of blah to me.  He has a baby face that IMO isn't aging well which makes me think he is miscast in so many roles.  In Titanic (and this is no way a dis to Kate Winslet) I thought Leo looked young enough to be Rose's son.  The only role I thought Leo looked physically right for was the Departed.  

41 minutes ago, Zella said:

-but I was sort of impressed that DiCaprio didn't just coast on love interest roles after that because he definitely could have.

But would it kill him to do a comedy?  Or at least a role that is fun to watch.

43 minutes ago, Zella said:

I started to get pretty irritated with the narrative that he was owed an Oscar, though. 

Yeah I didn't agree with that.  He was 41 when he won his Oscar.  Paul Newman was 62 when he won his and he had a career that was much longer than Leo's.  Glen Close still hasn't won an Oscar. 

11 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Whereas it isn't so much the age gap where the humor is being mined in the DiCaprio situation but the repeating pattern that he has seemingly never deviated from. 

If he continues this pattern it is conceivable that say 20 or so years from now he could end up dating the daughter of one of his former girlfriends.  

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, DearEvette said:

It may not be a conscious thing on his part at all, and probably isn't, but it just so happens that is how the relationships play out.  But the fact that they are all so consistent is where the punch line comes from.  It is a gift of basic observational humor.

How can it NOT be a conscious thing for him when the entire world is always pointing it out?  He knows what is said, I'm sure, by his managers, publicists, personal assistants and everybody else surrounding him on a daily basis.  He knows.  

He likes what he likes.  He doesn't care it creeps people out or some think it's inappropriate.  He's not crossing legal lines, just the boundaries of good taste, according to some.  He doesn't have to care.  He's living HIS life. 

And most importantly, he's NOT telling others how to live theirs.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Yeah I didn't agree with that.  He was 41 when he won his Oscar.  Paul Newman was 62 when he won his and he had a career that was much longer than Leo's.  Glen Close still hasn't won an Oscar. 

It reached its peak for me around The Revenant. I got so tired of seeing articles that were basically the equivalent of "Leo crawled over broken glass in a polar vortex to suffer for his art!" It was just too much. Nobody is owed an award. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Leo has become the living embodiment of Matthew McConaughey's character from Dazed and Confused he just waits until the women are 20ish.  I can't read it as creepy because it's not like he is waiting for a particular young woman to reach the age of consent like Dane Cook.  He has a type and chooses his latest partner from a very select pool. I also don't think he necessarily breaks up with each woman because she's turned 25.  The type of relationship a man in his 40s has with a 21-24 year old is only going to last so long on each side.  I don't think any of his girlfriends thought they would be different and somehow make Leo commit. They know the relationship has an expiration date going in and are fine with it because they are young and have time to find "the one" later.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Yeah, when it's a one off, okay, maybe the pair hit it off despite the generational difference, but when it's pretty much every person you date is around or under 25 it gets to be a "type" and I do side eye 40 somethings whose type is that much younger than themselves. And the father down they go from 25 the more I side eye

Given the context, I'm wondering whether "father" is intentional.

• LOL 6

Leonardo diCaprio has brought any ridicule on himself, and I have zero sympathy. Considering that women over 40 get called out if they, I dunno, wear a miniskirt ("mutton dressed as lamb!") or date younger men ("Mrs. Robinson!"), I say let the roasting commence. It's about damn time middle-aged men knew how it felt. 

Re: Harry Styles and Olivia Wilde

For whatever their individual flaws, I refuse to side-eye Olivia Wilde and Harry Styles's relationship, because she is old enough to be his big sister, not his mom. I see nothing predatory or wrong with this relationship.

Also, Styles is 28 years old, closer to 30 than 20. He was over 25 when they started dating, and it's safe to say his brain is finished forming. He'll be fine.

• Like 4
  • Love 16