Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

I think she's talented (better in some things than others, like everyone), but I've never paid any particular attention to Jennifer Lopez, but I recently watched the Netflix documentary about her, Halftime, and I'm still not going to seek out her work, just continue to enjoy what I like among that which I come across, but, damn, she is a hard worker.  I respect hustle, and she's had it her entire life.  I also appreciate the activism she was inspired to, after a long time of "I'm not into politics" gave way to "This isn't politics, this is human rights, and I have a responsibility".

• Like 2
  • Love 13
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I think she's talented (better in some things than others, like everyone), but I've never paid any particular attention to Jennifer Lopez, but I recently watched the Netflix documentary about her, Halftime, and I'm still not going to seek out her work, just continue to enjoy what I like among that which I come across, but, damn, she is a hard worker.  I respect hustle, and she's had it her entire life.  I also appreciate the activism she was inspired to, after a long time of "I'm not into politics" gave way to "This isn't politics, this is human rights, and I have a responsibility".

Halftime was a great documentary and an excellent glimpse into how hard creating a Super Bowl halftime show is, especially when TPTB fucked both of them over in not giving them additional time when they were the ones that chose TWO headliners. Jen has always been a hustler, and I respect that, too.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, PepSinger said:

, especially when TPTB fucked both of them over in not giving them additional time when they were the ones that chose TWO headliners.

Uh its the Super Bowl.   They aren't going to impinge on the actual game just to give the half time performers more time.   It's not about the half time show.    If either of them went into the job thinking it was about showcasing them, they fundamentally misunderstood the point.

Also this year's Super Bowl (last season), they managed to showcase how many hip hop folks without having to go over?   

Sorry no sympathy for JLo because she couldn't make the Super Bowl all about her.

• Like 1
  • Love 11
(edited)
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Uh its the Super Bowl.   They aren't going to impinge on the actual game just to give the half time performers more time.   It's not about the half time show.    If either of them went into the job thinking it was about showcasing them, they fundamentally misunderstood the point.

Also this year's Super Bowl (last season), they managed to showcase how many hip hop folks without having to go over?   

Sorry no sympathy for JLo because she couldn't make the Super Bowl all about her.

If you watch the documentary, then you would understand exactly what the issues were and why it was problematic that they were treated differently & it had nothing to do with J. Lo wanting to make it all about her.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Like 2
  • Love 7
On 7/22/2022 at 5:43 PM, AgentRXS said:

I mean, selling a sexual imagery has been a part of Britney’s career since she was 16 years old. She, like Madonna, used sexual imagery to gain attention for decades. Just because they reach an age where the public feels like they should stop, doesn’t mean they feel they should stop. In Britney’s case, this is what she was taught since her formative years. When she was a kid, the adults were outraged. Now she’s an adult, and her peers are outraged. The only difference is now she is supposedly in control of her image.To me, she is looking for attention in one of the ways most familiar to her.

ETA: I had no idea Vince was nearly 80. Wow, time flies. I feel like he’s looked nearly the same my whole life. Yeah, I’m sure its probably the allegations and he will just run things through Stephanie.

I am so glad Brittany now has full agency over her self, her image, her body, and what she chooses to share with the world.

She’s an adult who should do what she wants in whatever form. That being said, I personally feel like she is looking for affirmation from the public in the only way she knows, or was taught. That is sad, because I feel like she doesn’t not know how to be a public figure without her sexuality being involved. 
I obviously don’t know her, so I really don’t know her motivations nor her intent. However, I feel like she is not prepared to be a spokesperson for the wrongly managed, controlled or under a undeserving conservatorship. Nor should she have to be.

I feel that some posters who mentioned “where was her husband?” were not demeaning Brittany nor suggesting she needed a husband to tell her what to do, but were rather worried about who is round her to protect her from herself.

Just as with Brittany, I do not know these posters.

Brittany should be free to be what she wants and deserves to be. But she should not be the only person in her inner circle concerned about her personal welfare and her choices. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 15

well, like someone else said, I assume (and honestly hope) that her husband was the one taking the pictures since they were quite intimate and seemingly in her own bedroom.  It wasn't a photo shoot, just looked spur of the moment.  I hope they had fun with it, and I hope she's happy with how it all came out.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

She’s an adult who should do what she wants in whatever form. That being said, I personally feel like she is looking for affirmation from the public in the only way she knows, or was taught.

Yep, that's why all the nude posing, she doesn't know what to do any other way.

• Sad 2
  • Love 2
On 7/21/2022 at 6:10 PM, Cinnabon said:

I do hate when people blame “the other woman” for “breaking up” a man’s marriage. HE is the only one who took vows to be faithful to his spouse. It’s on HIM, not the “other woman.”

It's on both of them, imo.  If you get involved with someone you know is married, that makes you at fault too.  Not as much at fault, but you're not blameless.

On 7/22/2022 at 5:06 PM, Crashcourse said:

Naked Christopher Meloni is gross in that ad.

I personally find clothed Christopher Meloni gross.  He does absolutely nothing for me.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Roc and Roe have to be so relieved that their names are positively tame next to their half-siblings Golden, Powerful Queen, and this newest child Legendary.

You left out the "best" name among his spawn -- Zillion Heir.

• Mind Blown 4
  • LOL 13
43 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Zillion Heir's twin is named Zion Myxolodian. 

That is cruel and I'll bet their first thing to do when they turn 18 is change their names!!

• Applause 1
  • Love 5

Moon Unit, Pilot Inspektor and Moxie Crimefighter would beg to differ.

On the other hand, one of Elon Musk's kids just transitioned and had her gender and name legally changed and the stated reasons were "Gender Identity and the fact that I no longer live with or wish to be related to my biological father in any way, shape or form." so it does happen. And the names of the kids with Grimes are just awful. I hope they pick their own names as legal adults.

• Like 4
  • Useful 5
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Moon Unit, Pilot Inspektor and Moxie Crimefighter would beg to differ.

On the other hand, one of Elon Musk's kids just transitioned and had her gender and name legally changed and the stated reasons were "Gender Identity and the fact that I no longer live with or wish to be related to my biological father in any way, shape or form." so it does happen. And the names of the kids with Grimes are just awful. I hope they pick their own names as legal adults.

I have to know. Who does Moxie Crimefighter belong to?

5 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Yep. There's also Tu Morrow, daughter of Rob Morrow.

Parents really should resist the urge to be cutesy with names.   They aren't the ones who have go through life explaining it.   

• Like 11
  • Love 12
16 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Parents really should resist the urge to be cutesy with names.   They aren't the ones who have go through life explaining it.   

Ashley Scott named her daughter Iyla Vue, which, excuse me...

Vomit Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• LOL 11
6 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Yep. There's also Tu Morrow, daughter of Rob Morrow.

43 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Ashley Scott named her daughter Iyla Vue, which, excuse me...

Vomit Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

JFC their kids should sue.

• Like 3
  • Love 5
54 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Let's not forget Apple Martin. Daughter of Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow.

I personally don't think Apple is that bad.  It's a variation on the whole plant-based girls naming tradition--Rose, Rosemary, Violet, Ivy, Fern, Hyacinth, Daisy, etc.  

• Like 6
  • Love 10
9 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I personally don't think Apple is that bad.  It's a variation on the whole plant-based girls naming tradition--Rose, Rosemary, Violet, Ivy, Fern, Hyacinth, Daisy, etc.  

I think flower and spice names are nice but fruit names?  It doesn't matter what I think but I wouldn't name my child after a fruit.

9 minutes ago, ouinason said:

poor Daisy Bloom

There have been lots of Daisy's.

It's not just the younger generations that have what most people consider odd names. There is Tuesday Weld.  January Jones.  Charisma Carpenter.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I think flower and spice names are nice but fruit names?  It doesn't matter what I think but I wouldn't name my child after a fruit.

Oh my darling, Clementine!  (But I think that fruit might have been named after the actual name already existed.)

But in light of the other examples here, Apple sounds downright traditional.

• Like 6
  • Love 6
39 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oh my darling, Clementine!  (But I think that fruit might have been named after the actual name already existed.)

Bob Geldof and Paula Yates had Peaches Honeyblossom.  They also had Fifi Trixibelle and Little Pixie.   Peaches unfortunately died of a heroin overdose at 25.

After the divorce, Paula got together with Michael Hutchence from INXS and they also had a daughter; Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily. Hutchence committed suicide and then Yates died of an OD and Bob Geldof ended up getting custody of Heavenly, eventually adopting her.

So, Peaches ends up being the most 'normal' name amongst Yates' four daughters.

• Sad 8
  • Useful 1
51 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Yeah when they first named Apple, I thought it was one of the dumbest celeb baby names I'd ever heard. I think it's still pretty goofy, but it seems downright tame to me now compared to some of the other infamous ones. 

• Love 15
(edited)
18 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Compared to some of the others listed here, I don't think Zion itself is all that bad, but what is that second name? How is it even pronounced?

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

It's not just the younger generations that have what most people consider odd names. There is Tuesday Weld.  January Jones.  Charisma Carpenter.  

I find it fascinating that people think a name like January Jones is odd when they would not bat an eyelash if her name was April or May.  Men have been named August for centuries, but I will concede that the month was named after a person.  Like really, how did English speakers decide some months are appropriate as a name for a child but not others?  Why are Summer, Autumn or even Winter acceptable names for a girl but not Spring?  Why not use the day of the week your child was born on as a given name?  It's really not that far from other naming traditions.  Charisma is really a variation on the Protestant tradition of naming daughters after virtues.  We can debate if charisma really is a virtue, but it's not that different than Grace or Verity or Patience or Amity.  

And everything I just talked about in the paragraph above is English based both the language and the culture. Or at least the dominant English-speaking culture found in the USA.  What sounds "odd" to our ears in English may make perfect sense in the language and/or culture of the parents.  I do hate using words like normal when discussing something so personal as a name.  We don't always know the history and culture of the parents.  The various cultures from around the world all have their own naming traditions.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 7
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
55 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

Compared to some of the others listed her, I don't think Zion itself is all that bad, but what is that second name? How is it even pronounced?

I don't see anything wrong with Zillion or Zion but the middle name sounds like some kind of prescription drug.

41 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I do hate using words like normal when discussing something so personal as a name.

Yeah, I hate that too. The word we should be using is mainstream. As in, I named my two boys mainstream names but I call my oldest something that would have me coming up in this thread if we were famous. 

That being said, I'm all for a name that's a bit different. But not weird ass shit just for the sake of being different. Moxie = fine. Crimefighter = nyet.

I think Apple is cute. Same as names like Ginger, Pepper, etc. All of which I like. 

• Like 1
  • Love 9
16 minutes ago, festivus said:

I don't see anything wrong with Zillion or Zion but the middle name sounds like some kind of prescription drug.

Yeah, I hate that too. The word we should be using is mainstream. As in, I named my two boys mainstream names but I call my oldest something that would have me coming up in this thread if we were famous. 

That being said, I'm all for a name that's a bit different. But not weird ass shit just for the sake of being different. Moxie = fine. Crimefighter = nyet.

I think Apple is cute. Same as names like Ginger, Pepper, etc. All of which I like. 

Moxie also fits into the whole bestowing an attribute upon your at birth in order for it to manifest type of naming.  Similar to the Protestant virtue naming or names like Belle.  

I also agree on the weird ass shit just for the sake of being different.  The names I give the most side-eye to are the ones where mom replaces every i or e with a y in order to be different.  This kind of shit--image.png.25e5bc219b4a7084db5a92755e891e2c.png

I also laugh whenever anyone decides to get cute and name their son Ayden instead of Aidan, but that's because I live near Ayden, NC home of the Ayden Collard Festival.  

• Like 1
  • Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, Notabug said:

Bob Geldof and Paula Yates had Peaches Honeyblossom.  They also had Fifi Trixibelle and Little Pixie.   Peaches unfortunately died of a heroin overdose at 25.

After the divorce, Paula got together with Michael Hutchence from INXS and they also had a daughter; Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily. Hutchence committed suicide and then Yates died of an OD and Bob Geldof ended up getting custody of Heavenly, eventually adopting her.

Without the "Heavenly" part, the rest of that name is quite lovely.  It seems "Hiraani" is a Polynesian word.  She goes by Tiger Lily now.

Apparently Paula Yates was big on quirky names.

2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

The fruit was named in 1902 after the French missionary in whose garden the hybrid was supposedly first found in Algeria.  The use of Clementine as a female variant of Clement dates back much farther than that.

hour ago

16 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Compared to some of the others listed her, I don't think Zion itself is all that bad, but what is that second name? How is it even pronounced?

Minoxidil?

Edited by proserpina65
because no one needs to use that many "apparently"s in the same post
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I will never talk about someone's name and teach any child I have influence over that if they do that, they are the bully. 

In 2019, my new employer spelled my name wrong on one section of my check (even though it was spelled right on another part not too far away from where he spelled it wrong). My name is Shirese, and he spelled it "Chaxise." My bank would not deposit it. I heard him tell my supervisor, "her people don't have names like us, and that is why I made that mistake."

So, everyone has the right to call a name awful, but I just shrug and say what I would and wouldn't name a child and keep going.

Now, I must go and have a meeting with that man. 😌 

• Mind Blown 10
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, Notabug said:

Yes, such sad ends for many in that family. I don’t mind the names Trixie or Pixie, though. I’m not one for cutesy names myself, but they’re not awful. 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Enigma X said:

I will never talk about someone's name and teach any child I have influence over that if they do that, they are the bully. 

In 2019, my new employer spelled my name wrong on one section of my check (even though it was spelled right on another part not too far away from where he spelled it wrong). My name is Shirese, and he spelled it "Chaxise." My bank would not deposit it. I heard him tell my supervisor, "her people don't have names like us, and that is why I made that mistake."

So, everyone has the right to call a name awful, but I just shrug and say what I would and wouldn't name a child and keep going.

Now, I must go and have a meeting with that man. 😌 

Wow, that supervisor is a small minded douche. So sorry.

• Like 5
  • Love 6

Do I think Apple is the name of a horse? Yes. But I also agree it could have been much worse.

And everything I just talked about in the paragraph above is English based both the language and the culture. Or at least the dominant English-speaking culture found in the USA.  What sounds "odd" to our ears in English may make perfect sense in the language and/or culture of the parents.  I do hate using words like normal when discussing something so personal as a name.  We don't always know the history and culture of the parents.  The various cultures from around the world all have their own naming traditions.  

I mean... aren't we mostly talking about white and/or American celebrities? I'd get the argument if we weren't. Is there a cultural naming tradition to randomly naming your kid Asia or China (when you have no claim to that heritage)? I just feel like you can't simultaneously argue that words are just pretty sounds and also that words have deep significance. Of course it's different if someone's name is actually rooted in meaning and it just sounds "odd" to American ears. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Vanessa Lachey is many things: co-host of Netflix’s Love is Blind, co-host of Netflix’s The Ultimatum, star of NCIS: Hawaii (she got the job), mother, and wife to Nick Lachey. Is she an expert on “body diversity”? No. So why would you ask her about that?

Earlier this week, Insider pressed Lachey on the lack of such diversity among the cast of Love Is Blind, a show in which contestants date each other while in “pods” and propose to each other sight unseen. This was during an interview tied to Lachey’s paid partnership with Dairy Queen, so I’m gonna go ahead and say she wasn’t prepared for the question. Still, she tried to answer, wondering aloud if some of the contestants were possibly more insecure about their bodies than others, and that this prevented them from moving forward on the show and getting more screen time. Or, at least, I think that’s what she was trying to say.

“Their whole life they've been so insecure about being themselves because of this crazy swipe generation that we are in and this catfishing world that we're in, that they're so afraid to be themselves,” she said, bravely searching for the right buzzword. “I wonder if they truly don't have enough time in those two weeks to find themselves, A, and then be themselves to then find that spouse.”

https://www.gawker.com/celebrity/vanessa-lachey-is-doing-her-best-body-diversity-love-is-blind

Woof. I'm not saying no one is insecure and afraid to be themselves but that feels like a weird shift. If they're insecure, it's for a reason. Like, they aren't seen as desirable. And there are plenty of people who in various ways aren't considered conventionally attractive who are still happy and confident. 

I only watched season 1 but while everyone had nice bodies, in terms of facial beauty... So there's definitely a choice being made. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

What sounds "odd" to our ears in English may make perfect sense in the language and/or culture of the parents.

There is no culture where Pilot Inspecktor and Moxie Crimefighter make perfect sense.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Zion Myxolodian.

Sounds like an Rx med for male pattern baldness.  Bless his/her heart.

4 hours ago, RunningMarket said:

My mom went to school with a Mary Christmas. I mean, come ON.

Also, Jermajesty Jackson has entered the chat.

Candy Kane in my class, plus a local family by name of Duck named a son...wait for it...Donald.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I only watched season 1 but while everyone had nice bodies, in terms of facial beauty... So there's definitely a choice being made. 

The Season 2 cast had more body diversity but none of the people with larger bodies had much airtime or got engaged.  After about the second or third episode, they only follow those who get engaged.

She should have just said that there was more body diversity in the initial cast and they can't control who gets engaged.  Trying to figure out why led to that awful answer.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I mean... aren't we mostly talking about white and/or American celebrities? I'd get the argument if we weren't. Is there a cultural naming tradition to randomly naming your kid Asia or China (when you have no claim to that heritage)? I just feel like you can't simultaneously argue that words are just pretty sounds and also that words have deep significance. Of course it's different if someone's name is actually rooted in meaning and it just sounds "odd" to American ears. 

This whole "crazy" celebrity baby names conversation started from a post about Nick Cannon's latest child.  So we are not just talking about white celebrities.  I am not qualified to really speak about African-American naming conventions, so I choose to error on the side of grace.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

https://www.gawker.com/celebrity/vanessa-lachey-is-doing-her-best-body-diversity-love-is-blind

Woof. I'm not saying no one is insecure and afraid to be themselves but that feels like a weird shift. If they're insecure, it's for a reason. Like, they aren't seen as desirable. And there are plenty of people who in various ways aren't considered conventionally attractive who are still happy and confident. 

At the same time, plenty of people are seen as desirable, but don’t see themselves that way. I’ve known many physically attractive people who were insecure for whatever reasons.

10 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

The Season 2 cast had more body diversity but none of the people with larger bodies had much airtime or got engaged.  After about the second or third episode, they only follow those who get engaged.

She should have just said that there was more body diversity in the initial cast and they can't control who gets engaged.  Trying to figure out why led to that awful answer.

I wonder how many who became engaged actually ended up married. And of those, how many will stay married for over 5 years. I’m guessing very few.

• Love 2
(edited)
43 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

I wonder how many who became engaged actually ended up married. And of those, how many will stay married for over 5 years. I’m guessing very few.

You don't have to wonder about the first question.  It's part of the show.  For the US version, 30 contestants go into the pods with the potential of 15 engagements/pairings.  Each season, there have been eight engagements but only 6 are shown/followed on camera and go to Mexico  The other two couples don't go on the trip.  Some stay together for a while but none of them got married.  That you wouldn't know from the show but from interviews. 

Of the engaged couples that get followed, usually 2 of the 6 couples actually go through with the wedding in the show's finale. The first season was filmed in Nov. 2018.  The two couples who married at that time are still together.  They're approaching 4 years. The second season are at about one year.

Another weird thing about attributing it to insecurity is that they kind of cast for insecurity.  They want messes for drama.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 1
  • Useful 4
6 hours ago, RunningMarket said:

My mom went to school with a Mary Christmas. I mean, come ON.

Also, Jermajesty Jackson has entered the chat.

My sister's married name is White and she said when my niece was born, her husband wanted to name her Snow. Now, it was a long time ago and my B-I-L is gone now, so I don;t know if he was joking or not, but I sure hope so ! Thankfully, they decided on a normal name, because Snow White would have been cruel.

I've never understood these celebs picking the hard to spell names- don't they realize that the poor kid is going to be spelling that out for people, over and over, for the rest of their lives ?

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4