Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Pete said this in the texts

'This isn't public dude. I'm not here for pictures and press.

Then why did he screenshot the exchange and share it with a friend?

To get ahead of any spin Pretentious Motherfucker would put on it when he inevitably made the exchange public.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

We're dealing with two emotional children, so...

Great to see Miss Kardashian opt for  a mature, grounded individual  as Mr Davidson  after having had that smooth and sedate  breakup    with someone     calm  and rational as , the Formal/Former Mr. West.[major sarcasm]

• Love 5
On 3/13/2022 at 3:30 AM, SVNBob said:

To be fair, she has been studying (but not at any law school) to pass the bar, and did apparently pass the "baby bar", the equivalent of 1 year of law school in California last year (on her 4th try...but still.  At minimum, that shows her commitment to going through with the process.).  Research shows she's on schedule to take the actual bar exam sometime this year.

Even so, that doesn't take away any of the tone-deafness of the statement about women and work.

Can one practice law in California without having attended law school?  I know that guy on Suits did, but that was fiction.

• Useful 1

Jusdoe smollett.  Man I just hate this guy more and more. He doubles down every time and digs himself deeper and deeper insisting he is a victim and did nothing wrong.   

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/jurnee-smollett-taraji-p-henson-144000657.html

If he just admitted he made a mistake a long time ago all this would have passed.  His insistence on his innocence when the other guys SAID HE DID THIS, in court, makes it impossible to have any sympathy for him. 

Oh he is being punished already by not being hired!  An artist not being able to create is a horrible punishment!  

Just shut up, bunch of Hollywood entitled elitist Douchebags. 

• Love 18
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Can one practice law in California without having attended law school?  I know that guy on Suits did, but that was fiction.

Yes. There is a law office study program. It is actually considered to be harder route than law school because they still have to pass the bar. 

37 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

And the person comparing his sentence to the murder of Emmett Till?  Jesus Christ, have you got the wrong end of the stick on that one.

That's not the comparison she (Taraji P. Henson, his co-star) made.  She compared the punishment to which Smollett has been sentenced to that - nothing - received by the one who falsely accused Till (nothing is also the punishment received by those who killed him).

Emmett Till was brutally beat and ultimately murdered because of a lie and none of the people involved with his demise spent one day in jail, even after Carolyn Bryant admitted that her claims were false. No one was hurt or killed during Jussie’s ordeal.

Between that comparison and her saying "I am not here to debate you on his innocence but we can agree that the punishment does not fit the crime ... My prayer is that he is freed and put on house arrest and probation because in this case that would seem fair,” I figure she knows he's guilty as hell. 

Even his sister, who maintains his innocence, said, "And…you don’t have to believe in his innocence to believe he should be free."

I'm sure there are people claiming the reason he shouldn't be jailed is because he's innocent, as that's always the case, but what I have come across is criticism of the sentence as disproportionate to the crime for which he was convicted (and pointing out Black defendants receive harsher sentences).  That's not easily dismissed, but I have never looked deeply into the facts of this case, just been generally aware of its happenings.  This would be the part that interests me, from an equal justice perspective, but I still haven't delved into it.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 2
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Just shut up, bunch of Hollywood entitled elitist Douchebags. 

I can't look at anybody who defends Jussie the same.  The mental gymnastics they're doing oohhhhhhhhhhh my.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Yes, but passing the Bar exam is non-negotiable. 

Most normal people FIRST get a 4-year college degree in something applicable, like government, political science, etc.  (Sorry Elle Wood, Fashion doesn't usually cut it).  Then they spend 3 years in an accredited law school.  Focused on learning actual US law.  Then they take the Bar exam and pass or fail.  She's already been at this for about 3 years, and hasn't made much progress.   

She's 41 now.  And I think the whole thing has been a sham from the beginning.  I think she's desperately trying to stay relevant, in the public eye and seen as something more than a skank.  I think she's already lost that battle.  

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Useful 3
  • Love 8

She's 41 now.  And I think the whole thing has been a sham from the beginning.  I think she's desperately trying to stay relevant, in the public eye and seen as something more than a skank.  I think she's already lost that battle.  

I think she plans to run for high political office. She and Kris probably think her being able to call herself a lawyer will give her credibility, or at least overshadow the sex tapes, the multiple failed marriages, and dressing like a dominatrix.

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
40 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

And I think the whole thing has been a sham from the beginning.  I think she's desperately trying to stay relevant, in the public eye and seen as something more than a skank.  I think she's already lost that battle.  

Agreed. She claims that she wants to be a lawyer to help with criminal justice reform. But she doesn't need to be a lawyer to do that. She can use all the fame she has right now and apply that to the cause directly. She's done this already with specific people, which is great, but why not take it to the next level and set up an organization to help many people at once, or to raise money that then goes to the existing organizations that are working on this very issue? That's what she'll probably be doing even if she manages to pass the California bar (which is crazy difficult) so why delay the inevitable? I know it's because she wants to be taken seriously and thinks being a lawyer will do that. The problem is that the best way for her to be taken seriously as a lawyer is to go the traditional route of college degree+law degree+passing the bar. 

I have no doubt that her mother is working overtime to figure out how they can pull a Lori Loughlin without getting caught when it comes time for her to take the bar. I wouldn't be surprised if they already this this with the Baby Bar and that's how she finally passed.

• Love 16
3 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I have no doubt that her mother is working overtime to figure out how they can pull a Lori Loughlin without getting caught when it comes time for her to take the bar. I wouldn't be surprised if they already this this with the Baby Bar and that's how she finally passed.

kris-jenner.gif

• LOL 20
5 hours ago, SnapHappy said:

And I think the whole thing has been a sham from the beginning. 

I don't believe the whole thing has been.  The one good thing I'll likely ever have to say about Kim Kardashian is I believe her passion for innocence projects is real, and I think she got fired up about the work the lawyers with whom she met did (which probably got her thinking about what if her dad had used his skills in service of such goals, fueled by the rare fire that comes from being financially able to do so from jump). 

This delusional path she remains on, rather than trying a full-throated commitment to becoming a lawyer or, better, realizing she's not suited to that and thus identifying other ways in which she can best help -- that has to be at least a lot about show at this point.

I will just give her credit that the underlying awakening was genuine, despite her otherwise being almost completely out of touch with reality before and after.

4 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I think she plans to run for high political office.

This is the person who, knowing there is a large Armenian population in Glendale (a large independent city close to downtown Los Angeles), claimed she wanted to establish residency and run for mayor there - despite the fact Glendale voters do not elect a mayor, they elect city council members, and the council selects a mayor for one-year terms among council members who've been there at least four years; it rotates among those eligible, and is largely ceremonial -- everyone gets a turn.

So she may indeed have political ambitions, although public service seems too much work and too little pay for anything more than a brief diversion in furtherance of her brand.

She's not evil, but whatever good impulses she has are undermined by the utterly vapid nature of her fame and what this twit largely continues to do with it.  I hope she and her children stay safe from the shit show that is Kanye West, but otherwise I can't muster up much to care about.

• Useful 6
  • Love 16
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

So she may indeed have political ambitions, although public service seems too much work and too little pay for anything more than a brief diversion in furtherance of her brand.

She's not evil, but whatever good impulses she has are undermined by the utterly vapid nature of her fame and what this twit largely continues to do with it.  I hope she and her children stay safe from the shit show that is Kanye West, but otherwise I can't muster up much to care about.

Same here but in addition    I hope she will one day use the monies she's gained to get herself and her kids away from her rather exploitative female DNA Donor known as Ms. Jenner.  Of course, Miss Kardashian would need acknowledge how badly she'd been used her entire life and that might be something she'd rather not face at this time- regardless of how  being free of exploitation could liberate her and her children.

• Love 2

Kimmie might want to run for political office, but does she realize she will have to actually WORK at it?   Not go on vacation every 10 minutes?   Same with being a lawyer.   If she went to work for one of those organizations she supports, she can't just pop into work for a photo opp then take off to do publicity for something else or go to some exotic location.   There are deadlines and hearings that are NOT optional.

Just one caveat, there is no required or relevant undergrad degree to get into law school.   You just have to graduate from an accredited school and have an LSAT in the range the school excepts.   So Elle Woods fashion degree would be fine.   All the other bullshit -- not so much.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Kimmie might want to run for political office, but does she realize she will have to actually WORK at it?   Not go on vacation every 10 minutes?   Same with being a lawyer.   If she went to work for one of those organizations she supports, she can't just pop into work for a photo opp then take off to do publicity for something else or go to some exotic location.   There are deadlines and hearings that are NOT optional.

Kim doesn't actually want to be a politician or lawyer. She just wants to be able to say she is.  It's all about appearances for her and her family.  Let's say she does pass the bar.  I wouldn't be surprised if they plan some huge event with the media coverage that would bring and Kim will open her results (knowing the results beforehand of course) and confetti will fall and blah blah blah.  And we will never hear anything about Kim being a lawyer again. 

• Love 12
On 3/8/2022 at 9:35 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

That's nice and all, but I saw a great tweet comparing their example to Lady Gaga, who raised money among celebrities for health care workers and COVID, instead of Kutcher and Kunis coming to the common folk to raise money.

Kutcher's net worth is $200 million.  Mila's is apparently $75 million. Mila is also Ukranian.  I'm pretty sure Kutcher is friends with a lot of billionaire investors.  A LOT

FNG2tk4aMAAnnuP.jpeg

Also Ashton Kutcher and his ex Demi Moore started Thorn which is a organization that rescues women and children  from Sex Trafficking.

• Useful 6
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, Bastet said:

That's not the comparison she (Taraji P. Henson, his co-star) made.  She compared the punishment to which Smollett has been sentenced to that - nothing - received by the one who falsely accused Till (nothing is also the punishment received by those who killed him).

Between that comparison and her saying "I am not here to debate you on his innocence but we can agree that the punishment does not fit the crime ... My prayer is that he is freed and put on house arrest and probation because in this case that would seem fair,” I figure she knows he's guilty as hell. 

Even his sister, who maintains his innocence, said, "And…you don’t have to believe in his innocence to believe he should be free."

I'm sure there are people claiming the reason he shouldn't be jailed is because he's innocent, as that's always the case, but what I have come across is criticism of the sentence as disproportionate to the crime for which he was convicted (and pointing out Black defendants receive harsher sentences).  That's not easily dismissed, but I have never looked deeply into the facts of this case, just been generally aware of its happenings.  This would be the part that interests me, from an equal justice perspective, but I still haven't delved into it.

Thank you for the explanation.  I read the comment in a hurry and obviously misunderstood some of what it said.  I appreciate the clarification.

I still disagree with the premise that his punishment did not fit the crime, though.  His hoax will be unfairly used to discredit others who ARE victims of hate crimes.  Having his career f-ed up is not sufficient punishment for the harm he's done and neither is home detention.

• Love 15
43 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Also he has shown no remorse.  He still says he isn't guilty.    He would have been better off after getting caught saying I'm truly sorry.  I fucked up.  I will take this experience and try to learn and be a better person.  But nope. He went to trial and lost.  And now he has to face the consequences.

Yes he can seriously go fuck off. 

• Love 17
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I know there are plenty of other artists who are in the Hall despite not being rock and roll in the slightest, but she's the only one who's ever turn down the possibility.  As if she wasn't already a goddess!

She's also turned down the Presidential Medal of Freedom twice, & asked the Tennessee legislature not to erect a statue in her honor on the state's Capitol grounds. Personally, I think there's something else going on besides her thinking that she's not worthy (cue for everyone to go into a Wayne's World routine), but I have no idea what it is.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I believe it's a combination of her innate humility and Dolly still living and growing.  She isn't dead yet, and does not want the statues, the speeches, etc.  Dolly probably believes those things should be left for a much later date.  Also, these offers from politicians all have political motivation.  Dolly is no fool and knows this.  Dolly has stayed apolitical for decades.  Accepting one of these honors has the potential of linking her name with people who would sully her brand.  

We also know that she grew up in the church.  In spite of the fact that she now calls herself more spiritual than religious, it's possible that being humble (something Christians are called to do) was an important factor in her upbringing.  Things like that can be hard to shake.

• Love 13

The R&R Hall of Fame does allow for an artist to be inducted for influence on the genre/music so an argument can be made that Dolly still qualifies in that category but I still respect her withdrawing her name. Her music has always been classic country and she’d probably prefer to be inducted based on her catalog. She did accept her nomination and induction into the Country Hall of Fame after all. If this results in a Dolly rock/country-rock album then we all win.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
45 minutes ago, GaT said:

She's also turned down the Presidential Medal of Freedom twice, & asked the Tennessee legislature not to erect a statue in her honor on the state's Capitol grounds. Personally, I think there's something else going on besides her thinking that she's not worthy (cue for everyone to go into a Wayne's World routine), but I have no idea what it is.

I believe she also told the Tennessee legislature that they were welcome to build a statue for her after she is gone, but not while she's alive and kickin'.

I do think she is a naturally humble person who really doesn't want to be singled out, especially when she feels it is unwarranted or that others are more deserving.  Which is kind of ironic when you consider her hair, her makeup and her clothing.

If Dolly is not sincere, she has done an amazing job of putting up a front for the past 5or 6 decades of public life.  I think she really is that person.

• Love 24
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I believe it's a combination of her innate humility and Dolly still living and growing.  She isn't dead yet, and does not want the statues, the speeches, etc.  Dolly probably believes those things should be left for a much later date.  Also, these offers from politicians all have political motivation.  Dolly is no fool and knows this.  Dolly has stayed apolitical for decades.  Accepting one of these honors has the potential of linking her name with people who would sully her brand.  

Correct. Dolly said this awhile ago.

“There are always prone to be political. And I had said up front, I am not being political. I don’t do politics. I’m not getting into any of that. Because I have a lot of fans out there and I don’t want to offend anybody.,” she said. “And besides, I don’t get into that. And so, if you are deciding you may want to ask me something more serious, don’t. Because I am not going to answer it.”

41 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

I believe she also told the Tennessee legislature that they were welcome to build a statue for her after she is gone, but not while she's alive and kickin'.

I do think she is a naturally humble person who really doesn't want to be singled out, especially when she feels it is unwarranted or that others are more deserving.  Which is kind of ironic when you consider her hair, her makeup and her clothing.

If Dolly is not sincere, she has done an amazing job of putting up a front for the past 5or 6 decades of public life.  I think she really is that person.

Haha I think Dolly doesn't mind if she gets lots of attention for her look. She's the first person to bring up her chest. But there's definitely a difference between standing out in a crowd and being deified. When she was a guest on Watch What Happens Live, Andy joked that he told his son Dolly was God. Dolly was just like no I'm not. lol

For example, if Dolly were to see something like this, she might think "I know I'm a good person and try do do as much good as I can, but I'm still human. Please don't worship me"

d3eb1ef77467cdcca2784f5e0fba8193.jpg

I do think she's sincere. No one can fake being nice for that many years. So I get the way people idolize her. What would Dolly Do? is actually a good way to live. Most of us could stand to be more like her. A lot of us aren't religious. A lot of us didn't grow up with great role models in our families and whatnot. Dolly is a great person to look up to because she doesn't seem to have a mean bone. 

This is actually on my list of books to read.

416+iOx-WiL._SX349_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

I genuinely believe Dolly is sincere in not wanting the accolades.   Because her attitude seems to be "Well of course I did that, wouldn't everyone?   It's the right thing to do."   So she doesn't see herself as anything special.   Which is how TRUE heroes are.   

• Love 22

I'm doing my yearly re-watch of "24", and I'm in Season 6, that has Rick Schroeder playing Mike Doyle, a macho CTU field agent.   

I never knew until now how dead-on they wrote his character, as he's an incredibly rigid, narrow-minded, loud mouthed asshole who tries to control everybody. 

Seriously, it's like he took an acting role in 2007, and committed to playing it for life.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 7

I respect Dolly's stance and agree more people should recuse themselves graciously from awards and honors they do not believe they fit wit the precis or deserve.

That said, the Rock and Roll hall of Fame and foundation don't just celebrate and indeed was not created for just "rock" music.  It actually uses the original definition of Rock and Roll as coined by Alan Freed which is the type of pop music that evolved in the 50s that was an amalgamation of R&B, country, Jazz and gospel as epitomized by such people as Elvis and Chuck Berry and meant to evoke ideas of youth, freedom and rebellion. 

The first inductees included Elvis, Fats Domino, James Brown and Sam Cooke amongst others.  Their influence on the wider music that came later was a reason for their induction and other inductees who are not pure rock are inducted because of their wide ranging contributions to music.

Dolly definitely meets the criteria if for no other reason that her music has absolutely had a huge influence in pop and culture -- look no further than 'I Will Always Love You.'

• Useful 9
  • Love 14
8 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I respect Dolly's stance and agree more people should recuse themselves graciously from awards and honors they do not believe they fit wit the precis or deserve.

That said, the Rock and Roll hall of Fame and foundation don't just celebrate and indeed was not created for just "rock" music.  It actually uses the original definition of Rock and Roll as coined by Alan Freed which is the type of pop music that evolved in the 50s that was an amalgamation of R&B, country, Jazz and gospel as epitomized by such people as Elvis and Chuck Berry and meant to evoke ideas of youth, freedom and rebellion. 

The first inductees included Elvis, Fats Domino, James Brown and Sam Cooke amongst others.  Their influence on the wider music that came later was a reason for their induction and other inductees who are not pure rock are inducted because of their wide ranging contributions to music.

Dolly definitely meets the criteria if for no other reason that her music has absolutely had a huge influence in pop and culture -- look no further than 'I Will Always Love You.'

True. Pop is my favorite genre, but I listen to Dolly more than most pop artists. Many people who can't stand country love the hell out of songs like Jolene. 

• Love 11
6 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I generally roll my eyes at celebrities acting humble, but with Dolly I think it’s sincere. 

That's because few take it so far as to recuse one's self from the recognition. 

I don't blame Hollywood for it.  For some, it's important to accept recognition because it helps the project.  Plus, how many of us would step aside from accolades?  So not doing so isn't a negative.

But Dolly is in the position where she can hold true to her beliefs on this issue.  Her brand is solid.

• Love 18
5 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Many people who can't stand country love the hell out of songs like Jolene. 

Me! I am people.

5 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Agreed. Dolly definitely deserves it but I understand why she rescinded.

I love that woman.

• Love 16
15 hours ago, DearEvette said:

To me, that doesn't merit being in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  That is pop and doesn't belong.  There are a lot of acts who are in there that don't belong and were not formative or influential on rock music.  That doesn't mean I don't appreciate them, but they belong elsewhere, especially considering how long it's taken for some true rock acts to get in.  This is, however, all just my opinion.

• Love 1

I respect Dolly's decision, but the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame has to clear this up almost every year due to people trying very hard to keep hip hop and even R&B and soul artists out. Rock N Roll is not just talking about what most consider the rock genre but is used to mean acts that perform popular music that has impacted other musicians and pop culture in an inspirational, positive, or progressive fashion.

• Useful 2
  • Love 20
1 hour ago, Enigma X said:

I respect Dolly's decision, but the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame has to clear this up almost every year due to people trying very hard to keep hip hop and even R&B and soul artists out. Rock N Roll is not just talking about what most consider the rock genre but is used to mean acts that perform popular music that has impacted other musicians and pop culture in an inspirational, positive, or progressive fashion.

Well, to many of us, it should just be the rock genre and the early influences.  We are allowed to disagree on that.  And it's not about keeping hip hop, R&B and soul artists out for me, because I also would not have put ABBA in the hall despite loving their music.

Honestly, for the longest time, rock acts had to depend on being tight with Jann Wenner to get into the hall, no matter how influential or important they were in the genre.  People Wenner liked got in and those he didn't, didn't.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Pete Davidson has announced that he's going up in Jeff Bezos' rocket next week.  Kanye ought to have a field day with that, lol.

My take on HOFs in general is that they are all conflict inducing.  Who should, who shouldn't...

If we MUST have one, have a music HOF, with branches dedicated to each genre. Seems so simple.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

If we MUST have one, have a music HOF, with branches dedicated to each genre. Seems so simple.

This is where I'm at with it. R&R HOF saying they let in all music means they are not actually the Rock and Roll HOF but the Pop HOF. So, change the name, Music Hall of Fame with different branches. 

I personally don't care about awards, HOFs or Stars on the Walk of Fame kind of accolades and it seems neither does Dolly, which makes me love her more. Great musicians will be remembered whether they get inducted into anything or not. 

• Love 6

Led Zeppelin is my favorite band ever, and many consider them rock, but many consider them a blues band. The Beatles are more pop-sounding than rock to me. Googling what was the first rock song ever brought back many things people would not want in the RHOF who believe "rock" only belongs there. In my opinion, the term "rock and roll" has always been a fluid term, and it currently (even if you count my second and third favorite bands: Foo Fighters and Radiohead, respectively) looks nothing like what people today consider "rock" music. It was always an eclectic and inclusive term.

• Useful 1
  • Love 22
On 3/15/2022 at 4:10 PM, DearEvette said:

Thank you for saying this.  If there is one thing I get tired of, it's the *very* rigid definition of 'rock' some people have, and the stink they make whenever an artist who is different from the norm is nominated/inducted.  I hate it when people complain about the nominees every single year.  'Rock' is a huge umbrella that covers a lot of different subgenres, and...yeah, I got no ending for this post, I'm just in agreement with you.

• Love 22