Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: There

• Start Topic

On 2/10/2021 at 10:16 PM, BoogieBurns said:
On 2/10/2021 at 12:49 PM, Quof said:

Kevin didn't have a passport, despite needing it to fly to Canada in the first place"

No reason to think Kevin didn't have a passport. That jacket had several pockets.

Then why didn't he use it for ID to get on the plane?

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, SilverLake0315 said:

I could totally accept this explanation... if only it had actually come up on the show. 

It did.  We see Kevin use his jacket as a tourniquet at the scene of the accident.  Then, Kevin realizes he didn't have his jacket at the airport when he can't find his wallet.

• Love 4
On 2/10/2021 at 12:11 PM, txhorns79 said:

I do not work in the movie business, but I would think given the number of people involved in a production, changing the shooting schedule at the last minute would be expensive and time consuming.   Depending on the actor, they may not be available again to shoot the scene for weeks or months.  You also have to pay everyone who was there and ready to shoot the scene, and then pay them again to come back and set everything up again, along with other costs.  I honestly thought the director was being very fair with Kevin when he told him that they would arrange it so Kevin could leave the next morning.       

Exactly.  

If it was crucial for Kevin to be with Madison, then he should've declined the role.  But then we he wouldn't be a Pearson if he didn't up and quit a job for saintly reasons!

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Blackie said:

these storylines are just getting dumber and more unbelievable.  I would of had him rushing to make his flight at Vancouver Airport in a rainstorm, in the dark, car driving just on fumes, crossing my fingers that we didn't run out of gas on the bridge... OK so that was my story but it was more tense and dramatic then what I just watched lol!

Or will he get stuck in traffic from people going to the new outlet mall that opened near the Vancouver Airport. True story--happened a few years ago. Flights were delayed because pilots (and passengers) were stuck in the traffic mess.

• LOL 5
17 hours ago, kili said:

Or they will just ignore it. The TV channel head dude threatened to kill Kevin's career back in the day, but that didn't have much impact. He even got to do a final lap on "The Manny".  I will say that if I hired Kevin to be in my movie, I'm taking his phone away from him on important filming days. His family always has some kind of emergency that fouls up his day. Opening night for your play? Brother has an epic panic attack. Opening night for your movie? Either sister is fighting with brother about adoption or Mom has run off after fighting with brother. Big return to your old show? Brother is fighting with SIL and Sister/Mom are running off for a gig. Kevin's kids aren't even born and they have joined the fray. They are probably just having a fight in utero. 

OMG, so funny!  

• LOL 4
On 2/10/2021 at 12:55 AM, funnygirl said:

I don't like Kevin with Madison. 

I don't either.  

I might've liked her with Kevin if they had maintained the personality she had from when she first stepped into the Pearson's orbit -- she was quirky, sweet, upbeat girl fighting her addiction and trying to make a friend in Kate.  Now her personality is pretty much Kate's on a bad day -- gloomy, doomy. 

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Boo Boo said:

Exactly.  

If it was crucial for Kevin to be with Madison, then he should've declined the role.  But then we he wouldn't be a Pearson if he didn't up and quit a job for saintly reasons!

He wanted to quit when he found out the movie was going to be filmed in Vancouver instead of LA, but Madison insisted that he go and use the time away to think about what he wants their family life to look like.

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

He wanted to quit when he found out the movie was going to be filmed in Vancouver instead of LA, but Madison insisted that he go and use the time away to think about what he wants their family life to look like.

Exactly.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Thanks!   I forgot about that.

Still, he could've done what every Pearson does and ignore his wife and make a big romantic gesture to stay with her.  Instead, we got to wait for the heroic big gesture of quitting his job and doing ANYTHING to get back to his fiance in labor.  

Edited by Boo Boo
  • Love 3

Of course filming one or two characters in a car or on the phone is the safe way to do it in a pandemic - and it’s definitely better than nothing - but this is yet another reason I’m so looking forward to normal face-to-face interactions!

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Boo Boo said:

I might've liked her with Kevin if they had maintained the personality she had from when she first stepped into the Pearson's orbit -- she was quirky, sweet, upbeat girl fighting her addiction and trying to make a friend in Kate.  Now her personality is pretty much Kate's on a bad day -- gloomy, doomy. 

To me, it feels like the kind of relationship that only exists because Madison is pregnant.  I don't believe Kevin loves her, or that she loves him.  I believe he cares about her as the mother of his children, but not much else. 

• Love 8
52 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

So who is looking forward to the two or three episodes that can be devoted to the backstory for Josh Molina's character?  He could be Toby's long lost father!  

Are we 100% certain that William "Shakespeare" is Randall's biological dad?  I feel like we haven't fully explored Randall's biological family yet.  

🙂   

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Randall's bio mother had the brother who existed to be sent off to be killed in Vietnam.  What if Josh Molina's character's father was in his squad and ended up with PTSD because of witnessing his (the brother's) death.  Oodles of Pearsoning ahead.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Considering Madison encouraged him to go, she could have waited a bit longer to call and tell him she was (possibly) in labor. She seemed to know it was his big scene with DeNiro that night, and when she called she wasn't even sure it was labor.

Kevin may have been upset at not knowing earlier, and normally I don't support keeping a (non-abusive) man away from his kids, there was nothing he can do in Vancouver except blow up his career trying to get home. Waiting a couple hours would have let him do the scene without being distracted and then fly home right after.

22 minutes ago, himela said:

The fact that we are making fun of This is us while we used to love it shows that it has failed.

You can make fun of something you love. When you can't even be bothered to make fun, that is the real failure.

• Love 10

I think any show you can like and hate depending on the writing that week. If you really love a show and they slowly start to change the chemistry that made you like it, you can lose interest. Sometimes you just have to adjust. I used to complain about Million Little Things after 2 years and then realized I didn't like it enough to do that anymore. It really lost me at one point.

I think part of the problem with shows today is that they talk to much about them, they hype too much, they give interviews with "hints" or maybe no hints, they "slip" and say things and then when things fall flat, the interest they tried to generate works in an opposite way.

I hope TIU gets back to the core and not shift too much ahead (I hate that) We didn't need to know about Kate and Toby's daughter now or that Jack Jr was Ok so no matter what happens, it's anti climatic. Just tell the story.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

Considering Madison encouraged him to go, she could have waited a bit longer to call and tell him she was (possibly) in labor. She seemed to know it was his big scene with DeNiro that night, and when she called she wasn't even sure it was labor.

Kevin may have been upset at not knowing earlier, and normally I don't support keeping a (non-abusive) man away from his kids, there was nothing he can do in Vancouver except blow up his career trying to get home. Waiting a couple hours would have let him do the scene without being distracted and then fly home right after.

Yes, for Madison to have accepted Kevin's marriage proposal, call herself his fiancee, then remind him she was more than willing to have the twins on her own, and then get all emergency mode while Kevin was out of the country, was irritating.

• Love 8
On 2/12/2021 at 5:44 PM, Boo Boo said:

I don't either.  

I'm thinking a reason Madison's personality has changed so much is partly pandemic related, since she was still upbeat when Kate got married.

I haven't finished watching nor I have read the responses here but 6 weeks early with twins is NOT UNUSUAL. It's pretty typical and apparently her dr sucks if they hadn't been doing growth ultrasounds and a bunch of other stuff at this point. She would have been prepared for early labor with twins or to be induced early if necessary. Good lord, have none of these writers had any experience with pregnancy?

• Love 6
7 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Yes, for Madison to have accepted Kevin's marriage proposal, call herself his fiancee, then remind him she was more than willing to have the twins on her own, and then get all emergency mode while Kevin was out of the country, was irritating.

32 minutes ago, bros402 said:

I'm thinking a reason Madison's personality has changed so much is partly pandemic related, since she was still upbeat when Kate got married.

Even without a pandemic, having a surprise twin pregnancy, having that pregnancy exacerbate an old eating disorder, and having a baby daddy whom she doesn't know very well and isn't certain she wants to have a future with, are a lot of things to go through for any woman. I'm sure there's also self-inflicted pressure to be "cool" and not needy - a lot of eating disorders stem from the desire to have everything in one's life under control. I can give Madison a pass, both for not being her usual bubbly self and for realizing that she needs/wants more support than she thought she would.

• Love 12
15 hours ago, himela said:

The fact that we are making fun of This is us while we used to love it shows that it has failed.

I am usually super critical of shows and don't believe any show should last more than 5 seasons, if it ever makes this long. The reason is, IMP, the writing. I don't know what happens in the writer's room but I have a firm opinion if TV writing: it mostly sucks. They are mot the most creative, in general, and they tend to want to please whatever they believe the majority of the audience wants, which is usually soap opera style stories, not well developed characters or plots. Artistic satisfaction might not play a role on TV writing, since the main goal is to make as much money as possible Even the most devoted writer can get caught up in this. Bills need to be paid, they need to eat, etc.

Having said all that, I don't think this show has failed, yet. It is inconsistent but it still has some interesting approaches and perspective.

• Love 8
On 2/9/2021 at 10:19 PM, KaveDweller said:

I get why the director was frustrated about Kevin leaving (filming costs a lot of money), but there must be insurance for that or something. And I sort of feel like DeNiro would be understanding about a guy leaving for the birth of his kids. That being said, the car accident guy is right that the kids won't remember the day they were born. Getting there is about being their for Madison more than the kids. I'm not saying being there for his fiancé isn't important, but acknowledge what is going on.

Maybe I am the only one, but I'm kind of curious why Madison is not close with her family.

He's at Seattle airport, he is already across the border. He must have crossed before he came upon the car accident.

Yes, knowing Madison’s back story would make her a little interesting, because I find her character incredibly boring. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

As a matter of principle I am refusing to watch anyone else’s backstory until I get Miguel’s.  This is beyond ridiculous at this point.

I agree, I don't want to see why Madison developed bulemia or when she discovered it, she can just talk about it, but Miguel has been put on the back burner for a long time. The writers thought if too soon after St Jack died, they would get fan backlash. Please, these are adults watching a fiction TV show, I think they could handle it. Why have Rebecca get married at all? She loves Miguel, they are married, they have sex, they share a bed, they talk daily, they travel. Geez, I never was a Jack fan but after seeing how "in the shadow" some were because of him, liked him less.   I hope we see more Nicky too, he let him stay alone in his guilt, threw his family up to him, showing him the picture of them, really tacky and childish behavior. Nicky wasn't his dad, never had his core, he had PTSD and was saddled with great guilt over what he did. But St Jack had to protect his family from what? Did he think he would hurt them? If he said he had to be sober, did he think he'd come waving a bottle and break it over Kevin's head? I think he was guilty over what he did and didn't want his family to know about it. Throwing out his post cards, just awful. All the Jack speeches couldn't make me understand that. Even Milo said it was a dark underbelly. I hope Nicky and Miguel find happiness in their last season of life.

I see the arm rub though with Miguel and I think please don't make him have a heart attack while Rebecca reminisces. Let them still have good moments together.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 7
On 2/12/2021 at 8:08 AM, Ohiopirate02 said:

My mom was due to be released from the hospital with my little sister on a Sunday.  A Sunday in January when the Cleveland Browns had a playoff game at 4pm.  My dad had a specific timeline as to when he would pick her up to be home in time for the game.  And if the hospital wasn't ready to release her by like 2pm, then she had to stay another night.  To be fair to my dad, this my parent's 3 kid and he was in charge of taking care of my older brother and I.  He was juggling a few balls, it was the AFC Championship game, and my mom owed him one after making him leave a playoff game early the year before (the Browns came back and beat the Jets in double overtime).  

I come from a football family, and what really drew me into the show was the Pearson's devotion to the sport and their team.  

I had a friend whose husband was watching the OJ trial while she was in labor.  She, a very religious person who never swears, told him to turn the TV off in extremely colorful language.  Think Samuel L. Jackson in "Snakes on the Plane."  Her husband is still in awe all these years later -- "I never realized she even KNEW those words!"  And yes, the TV was turned off immediately.

I'm really tired of all the Jack and his dad flashbacks.  Yes, we get it, Jack's dad was an alcoholic and a rotten father, and St. Jack is determined not to be that guy. How many times do we need to see it? 

I wonder what Rebecca was trying to tell Kevin.  Jack was at the hospital with her, right?  We've seen that.  

• Love 3
On 2/10/2021 at 10:26 AM, Blakeston said:

I found this episode highly unpleasant to watch.

Kevin thinking that his ability to be a good father is entirely dependent on getting to the hospital on time? Groan.

Kevin once again tossing aside his career, and screwing up a bunch of other people's professional lives, so that he can fulfill his superhero complex? Groan.

All of the fakeouts with potential car accidents, following up to a cheap "he wasn't in an accident at all" twist? Groan.

The writers trying to make a "boomer fails at technology, ha ha!" joke about Rebecca, who has dementia? You get the picture.

I don't think Rebecca's mistake was a joke, I think it was a reminder that her mind is going.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Crs97 said:

As a matter of principle I am refusing to watch anyone else’s backstory until I get Miguel’s.  This is beyond ridiculous at this point.

Then they'll give us Miguel's backstory in the same episode as Madison, and it'll turn out they're related.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
On 2/13/2021 at 5:48 PM, debraran said:

I think any show you can like and hate depending on the writing that week. If you really love a show and they slowly start to change the chemistry that made you like it, you can lose interest. Sometimes you just have to adjust. I used to complain about Million Little Things after 2 years and then realized I didn't like it enough to do that anymore. It really lost me at one point.

I think part of the problem with shows today is that they talk to much about them, they hype too much, they give interviews with "hints" or maybe no hints, they "slip" and say things and then when things fall flat, the interest they tried to generate works in an opposite way.

I hope TIU gets back to the core and not shift too much ahead (I hate that) We didn't need to know about Kate and Toby's daughter now or that Jack Jr was Ok so no matter what happens, it's anti climatic. Just tell the story.

I think this show got such a reaction with Jack being dead in the pilot that they keep going back to the non linear story telling as a crutch. I already know that adorable little baby Jack is going to grow up to be a very successful and handsome young man. That means none of his younger storylines are going to be very interesting to me because I already know his future and it is very bright.

I already know Kevin's twins are going to be healthy and the delivery is going to be okay. The fact that Kevin is away and the early delivery of twins is such a surprise (which as many of you have pointed out, it is not) are just plot contrivances put there for the sake of drama.

Another problem I have noticed is Kevin's love interests. They will have an attractive and fairly nice female, who seems to turn rather annoying and whiney when they start to have a relationship with Kevin (maybe with the exception of that one lady he dated the first season). Is it because the writers think that amazingly handsome, rich, and famous Kevin is such a catch that they change around the girlfriends' personalities just so the couple can have "troubles"?

I mean in all truthfulness, Kevin is a great catch (particularly after he started handling his addictions and confronted his family about ignoring him all his life) but gorgeous and rich celebrities are notorious for having some of the worst track records when it comes to relationships. There are probably a lot of real world problems that they could mine, including how fame can help destroy relationships.

I know Madison is going through many issues (pregnancy, pandemic, no friends/family, eating disorder, etc.) but it makes no sense for her to be willing to raise these babies alone, then tell Kevin to take the movie, and then demand he come home RIGHT THIS SECOND.

• Love 9
On 2/12/2021 at 4:43 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

It did.  We see Kevin use his jacket as a tourniquet at the scene of the accident.  Then, Kevin realizes he didn't have his jacket at the airport when he can't find his wallet.

Personally, I needed a specific reference to his passport being missing. They made a point of focusing on his ID being dropped at the scene so, as it stands, it just felt like a major oversight to me 🤷‍♀️

• Love 1
On 2/14/2021 at 2:32 AM, chocolatine said:

Even without a pandemic, having a surprise twin pregnancy, having that pregnancy exacerbate an old eating disorder, and having a baby daddy whom she doesn't know very well and isn't certain she wants to have a future with, are a lot of things to go through for any woman. I'm sure there's also self-inflicted pressure to be "cool" and not needy - a lot of eating disorders stem from the desire to have everything in one's life under control. I can give Madison a pass, both for not being her usual bubbly self and for realizing that she needs/wants more support than she thought she would.

Yes, it's a lot to handle.  However, here's bubbly Madison during a stressful time with the Pearsons!  

This was her personality from the beginning of the show.  Do you really change the core of your personality that much?  The pandemic has made me stressed and depressed, but the core of my personality has not changed.  Yes of course, she's going through a lot. I just feel like they are rewriting the quirky irritating personality of Madison into someone you'd believe Kevin could fall for.  The irony is it makes more sense for Kevin to have fallen in love with the quirky girl that annoyed Kate then the character she is now becoming.

Edited by Boo Boo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, SilverLake0315 said:

Personally, I needed a specific reference to his passport being missing. They made a point of focusing on his ID being dropped at the scene so, as it stands, it just felt like a major oversight to me 🤷‍♀️

I don't think Kevin even knows his ID is 'lost'. I can't remember specifically but I thought he was assuming it was all in his jacket that was left behind with Will Bailey Joshua Malina at the hospital, driver's licence, passport/passport card, all of it.

I am guessing that is going to come into play later, when they question Joshua Malina about the accident and the ID found there, and he realizes who saved him.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Josh Malina already knows who saved him. On the way to the hospital, he said to Kevin, "Aren't you..." and Kevin replied "Yes, I'm Kevin Pearson."  (Of course we didn't hear Josh say "Oh, I loved you in The Manny" but I'm sure that it was just cut for time.)

I almost expected Malina to pull a Pearson -- check out of the hospital against all orders and race against time to get to the airport to provide Kevin with his ID and Passport.

Edited by Boo Boo
  • LOL 1

I'm watching through the looking glass here wrt Malina's character.  I think he'll turn out to be a drug dealer/money launderer, and the cops will find $100K in that trunk, and Kevin's ID nearby.  Then the FBI finds out that he just flew interstate to get to LA, so they show up at the hospital and arrest Kevin.  Randall has to somehow book an immediate flight across country and try and convince the FBI that "I'm a city councilman in Philadelphia, and Kevin's my brother, and I can vouch for him."

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Josh Malina already knows who saved him. On the way to the hospital, he said to Kevin, "Aren't you..." and Kevin replied "Yes, I'm Kevin Pearson."  (Of course we didn't hear Josh say "Oh, I loved you in The Manny" but I'm sure that it was just cut for time.)

Ah, I missed/forgot that. I wonder why they bothered to have his ID fall out then, since they had him leave his jacket behind anyway.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Boo Boo said:

I have expected Malina to pull a Pearson -- check out of the hospital against all orders and race against time to get to the airport to provide Kevin with his ID and Passport.

I expected the angel version of Jack to show up and scoop Kevin up in his arms and fly him to Madison.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
51 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

Randall has to somehow book an immediate flight across country and try and convince the FBI that "I'm a city councilman in Philadelphia, and Kevin's my brother, and I can vouch for him."

Also the FBI agent will be proved to be the daughter of the officer who arrested Randall's biological mother and sent her to prison because, why not.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Ah, I missed/forgot that. I wonder why they bothered to have his ID fall out then, since they had him leave his jacket behind anyway.

Because how else could they dramatically show Kevin's driver's license in his wallet next to a burning car wreck in the promos so the viewers would worry that Kevin was gravely injured and maybe even dying and wait with bated breath until the next episode to see if Kevin survived even though we had already seen him 15 years in the future alive, well, and happy?

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

You know that Randall has photocopies of his drivers license saved on his phone and on a paper he carries with him at all times so this is just another way Kevin falls short of expectations.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I don't think Kevin even knows his ID is 'lost'. I can't remember specifically but I thought he was assuming it was all in his jacket that was left behind with Will Bailey Joshua Malina at the hospital, driver's licence, passport/passport card, all of it.

That was my understanding too. 

As for why not showing or mentioning the passport, it can be probably filed under "inconsistent writing". They just "forget" that the border was crossed so they don't include it in the writing.

It is also possible that one or two lines about it would add to, and exceed, the time they had for the episode. It might have been mentioned in the script and either cut as they filmed, or in the editing room. And as already mentioned, the ID burning next to the car is a better teaser, so they decided to go with the connection.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, circumvent said:

That was my understanding too. 

As for why not showing or mentioning the passport, it can be probably filed under "inconsistent writing". They just "forget" that the border was crossed so they don't include it in the writing.

It is also possible that one or two lines about it would add to, and exceed, the time they had for the episode. It might have been mentioned in the script and either cut as they filmed, or in the editing room. And as already mentioned, the ID burning next to the car is a better teaser, so they decided to go with the connection.

I didn't get the teaser, it actually got me slightly irritated. We know Kevin is happy, handsome and has all his limbs in the future they want to show and rich. Do fans really care if he he has an accident without injury? I'm in minority maybe but I don't care if he makes it there when before a head crowns or just sees one. The whole thing was silly, Kevin slept with a woman who's name I can't remember, he slept with Cassidy which Nicky caught, and then Madison. He probably didn't wear condoms but he's too old to be so careless. I swear Cassidy looked so ill in Nicky;s cabin last time they showed her, I thought "Oh no,she's pregnant!" She dropped out of site after that. Maybe they switched it to Madison instead.  It's not like earlier writing.  The passport, the ovulation test, the bringing us another Jack/Rebecca cuddle session tonight. Is it wrong to want new things and not "old Jack" and flashbacks or a whole show on Kevin driving badly. ?  I blame Covid....I hope the show gets the vaccine soon.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 5

I've been trying to figure out from which show I remember the actor who played the car crash victim, and it finally came to me that he played the president of CalTech on Big Bang Theory. Just in case anyone else has been wondering. 😀

• Love 2

Maybe I'm just irritable today (got my reasons), but how many times do they need to mention the pandemic in the first 15 minutes? We all know it's going on; but I don't shoehorn it into every conversation like they're doing on this show. 

2 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I've been trying to figure out from which show I remember the actor who played the car crash victim, and it finally came to me that he played the president of CalTech on Big Bang Theory. Just in case anyone else has been wondering. 😀

His big role was Will Bailey on The West Wing years before BBT (and Sports Night before that). 

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2