Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E05: Champagne Wishes and Caviar Screams

TexasGal
  • Start Topic

Shane tries to redeem himself after getting caught sleeping on the job. Meanwhile, Ashling excels in her duties on deck as Elizabeth suffers the scrutiny of Francesca. In the galley, Rachel is excited to finally have refined guests on board, but things are not always as they seem.

Airdate 11.30.2020

• Useful 1

I checked before you posted and wondered the same thing. I slept throught the first run of the show, woke up at 10:30 and tried to watch the second run got maybe 1/2 way through and fell asleep again. This is not an interesting or fun group of people.  A whole new crew with the exception of Eddie is not working.  The only plus so far this season is that we haven't seen the obligatory boat romance that Bravo has relied on to make the show "appealing."  

• Love 5

I thought I was going to really like Rachel, but her anger is alarming. Then, the revolting foie gras comment. Many chefs have ethically refused to prepare this dish, yet Rachel laughs at the suffering of the animal. No thanks. 

• Love 17

Sure, it's boring, but look at our lives.  

Anyhow, I want to be a fly on the wall at the casting for these boats.  They can't honestly think it's somehow unclear they purposefully hire losers and whiners for at LEAST half the spots.  Putting that blonde mope on this boat was meaner than putting Laura in the Bake-Off final.  The cook truly seems like a mental case.  I know it's turned into this weird apocryphal given "Oh, chefs, they're all CARAAZAY!" but we've all seen enough episodes of Top Chef to know this isn't actually true.

I know the editing is king, but no head of any department seems like anyone I would hire.  MAYBE Eddie is ok, but he really never comes off that great.  Passive/aggressive and weirdly hyperactive and how do you not actually do a walk-around before bed to see that one of the most important things is done?  Yes, it's a big boat.  It's not a SHIELD helicarrier and you KNOW your staff is green, it's barely a 10-minute job to WALK AROUND and check things.  I mean, I would have yelled at Eddie for that crap more than the kid.  Chief Stew might be good at her job if New age stew wasn't so terrible.  And the WHINING of New Age stew.  She's barely been given any kind of hard time at all.

I almost prefer jerks to these guests.  No taste.

Edited by Lassus
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6

Does Rachel realize that there are often guests within earshot of the radio? Her comments aren't amusing, she's just vulgar.

I like Francesca and the new stew. The hippy dippy whiner can be fired, right alongside Sunshine. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Rachel should have put more food on the plates so they didn't look so empty. The guests wanted quantity over quality of food.

I prefer watching this crew to the boat romances of BDM & BDSY.

Capt Lee is much less intrusive than Captain Sandy.

Edited by oakville
  • Love 19
1 hour ago, Lassus said:

Truer words were never spoken.  Just the thought of hanging out with a bunch of friends at the beach makes me insanely happy.

Some of the drama of Rachel's caviar meltdown was ruined by us seeing in prior seasons that the provisions people can ferry supplies out to them.  Plus, if these guys can't tell the different between real crab and canned krab, I don't think they are really going to care if it's the wrong caviar.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
3 hours ago, Lassus said:

Anyhow, I want to be a fly on the wall at the casting for these boats.  They can't honestly think it's somehow unclear they purposefully hire losers and whiners for at LEAST half the spots.  Putting that blonde mope on this boat was meaner than putting Laura in the Bake-Off final.  The cook truly seems like a mental case.  I know it's turned into this weird apocryphal given "Oh, chefs, they're all CARAAZAY!" but we've all seen enough episodes of Top Chef to know this isn't actually true.

I know the editing is king, but no head of any department seems like anyone I would hire.  MAYBE Eddie is ok, but he really never comes off that great.  Passive/aggressive and weirdly hyperactive and how do you not actually do a walk-around before bed to see that one of the most important things is done?  Yes, it's a big boat.  It's not a SHIELD helicarrier and you KNOW your staff is green, it's barely a 10-minute job to WALK AROUND and check things.  I mean, I would have yelled at Eddie for that crap more than the kid.  Chief Stew might be good at her job if New age stew wasn't so terrible.  And the WHINING of New Age stew.  She's barely been given any kind of hard time at all.

I almost prefer jerks to these guests.  No taste.

They work in staggered shifts, right?  It seems Sunshine was on lates, and maybe he needed to be in that section of the yacht after Eddie went to bed?

2 hours ago, oakville said:

Rachel should have put more food on the plates so they didn't look so empty. The guests wanted quantity over quality of food.

I prefer watching this crew to the boat romances of BDM & BDSY.

Capt Lee is much less intrusive than Captain Sandy.

Captain Lee even washed his own dish and picked something out of the drain!  I was a little surprised as he seems unable to pour his own Cheerios in the morning. 

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, AryasMum said:

I was a little surprised as he seems unable to pour his own Cheerios in the morning. 

I think there's a little "rank hath it's privileges" in Captain Lee having his Cheerios prepared for him.  Given that he's not asking for charred salmon over homemade bread and milk at precisely 12 degrees centigrade make it seem allowable to me.

19 minutes ago, AryasMum said:

It seems Sunshine was on lates, and maybe he needed to be in that section of the yacht after Eddie went to bed?

Fair, no idea.  I suppose I can see this, although Eddie would have to be in pretty early for that door to still be required to  be open.  But who knows?

• Love 6
2 hours ago, TexasGal said:

don't think they are really going to care if it's the wrong caviar.

They may not be able to tell the difference between fake and real crab but these are the people who would very much care and in the case of salmon roe they wouldn’t even have to have a decent palate since it’s orange and larger than real caviar.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Re: the food portions - YES ... either up the size of what you are serving or use smaller plates.    I don't think that the crab/couscous salad would have filled me up.   Now those waffles, on the other hand ...

And New Age girl whose name I haven't bothered to learn:  I LOL"d when she was complaining that Francesca said she was messy, and then the producer says something like, "but you are messy, aren't you?"

Also, is Sunshine really as stupid as he portrays himself to be?  The reason I ask is because I thought Cal was a hard school to get into.  Maybe he's just book smart?

• Love 4
4 hours ago, TexasGal said:

Truer words were never spoken.  Just the thought of hanging out with a bunch of friends at the beach makes me insanely happy.

Some of the drama of Rachel's caviar meltdown was ruined by us seeing in prior seasons that the provisions people can ferry supplies out to them.  Plus, if these guys can't tell the different between real crab and canned krab, I don't think they are really going to care if it's the wrong caviar.

I just keep rolling my eyes at Rachel making a huge deal that the crab is Petrossian King Crab. Petrossian is a retailer of specialty foods, most known for Caviar and Foie Gras. They don't catch the crab, they just resell it and it's already cooked and in a vacuum sealed package. You want to make a big deal about something? Get the "ethically" farmed Spanish Foie Gras and hype that instead. 

I also couldn't get over what looked like a couscous salad with crab from Mendocino Farms as the main for lunch. I'm sure her food is good, but I'm not impressed with what she's serving so far. Everything has seemed like something you could get at a decent restaurant and not something that's Thomas Keller level.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AryasMum said:

They work in staggered shifts, right?  It seems Sunshine was on lates, and maybe he needed to be in that section of the yacht after Eddie went to bed?

Captain Lee even washed his own dish and picked something out of the drain!  I was a little surprised as he seems unable to pour his own Cheerios in the morning. 

Sandy has staff make her food and coffee too.  I think the reason that the breakfast thing is prominent is because it was used to show just how slow Izzy was by using a simple task that should have taken 5 minutes.  Some of it is also because I think that the captains often eat on their own vs eating with staff since the staff can't relax around the captain, like telling dirty joke ,with each other at a meal and the captains stay away to allow them that.  Plus the captain can't relax during dinner either because they have to act professional too.

I half wonder if the captains eat with the unseen boat staff which are no longer unseen (the first mate, engineer, the other one). 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, NannyBails said:

Re: the food portions - YES ... either up the size of what you are serving or use smaller plates.    I don't think that the crab/couscous salad would have filled me up.   Now those waffles, on the other hand ...

And New Age girl whose name I haven't bothered to learn:  I LOL"d when she was complaining that Francesca said she was messy, and then the producer says something like, "but you are messy, aren't you?"

Also, is Sunshine really as stupid as he portrays himself to be?  The reason I ask is because I thought Cal was a hard school to get into.  Maybe he's just book smart?

Was there more to this meal that I didn’t notice?  A greens salad, something? Some of the guests barely touched the couscous meal. I would have starved. That tiny meal and then dinner pushing nine PM. Dinner is always far too late for me. After hours in the sun and swimming, I always crash pretty early.

Maybe they leave out showing the snacks occurring between meals. I’ve seen the occasional charcuterie board on these shows. 

I far prefer a lighter breakfast, particularly after a night of drinking, and a denser lunch. 

2 minutes ago, Eater of Worlds said:

Sandy has staff make her food and coffee too.  I think the reason that the breakfast thing is prominent is because it was used to show just how slow Izzy was by using a simple task that should have taken 5 minutes.  Some of it is also because I think that the captains often eat on their own vs eating with staff since the staff can't relax around the captain, like telling dirty joke ,with each other at a meal and the captains stay away to allow them that.  Plus the captain can't relax during dinner either because they have to act professional too.

I half wonder if the captains eat with the unseen boat staff which are no longer unseen (the first mate, engineer, the other one). 

Oh I don’t have a problem with it, but I’d far prefer pouring my own cereal and coffee over doing my own dishes. Maybe it’s because it’s also crew dinner time and he doesn’t want to leave the dishes for them?

3 minutes ago, AryasMum said:

Was there more to this meal that I didn’t notice?  A greens salad, something? Some of the guests barely touched the couscous meal. I would have starved. That tiny meal and then dinner pushing nine PM. Dinner is always far too late for me. After hours in the sun and swimming, I always crash pretty early.

Maybe they leave out showing the snacks occurring between meals. I’ve seen the occasional charcuterie board on these shows. 

I far prefer a lighter breakfast, particularly after a night of drinking, and a denser lunch. 

Oh I don’t have a problem with it, but I’d far prefer pouring my own cereal and coffee over doing my own dishes. Maybe it’s because it’s also crew dinner time and he doesn’t want to leave the dishes for them?

Possibly.  He's always done his dishes.  I have always thought it was because he finished his food when the others were not.  Like if he had eaten and there was a pile of dishes that were being washed right then he'd leave his in the pile because it would make no sense for the staff to step away for him to wash his own dish or for him to come back when they were done to do his.  But if he returns his dishes and the sink is empty and dishes are done he's going to do his own dish so he wouldn't be leaving it for someone else to do, just normal personal responsibility.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, AryasMum said:

There was one on this episode served right before lunch.

There were greens in the salad.  Negative  space crescent moon shape is a bit played out and if she has plated it on the center of the plate people probably wouldn’t have thought it was too little food.

I too thought it was odd that they kept saying Petrossian crab, it made sense for the caviar because it’s what they are most known for but using it to point out that the crab had been vacuumed packed and flown in seemed odd. 

• Useful 1

I wonder if this season is so boring because last season was so widely criticized. I think the producers may have been scared to hire a crew that would create too much drama because they were afraid of another Ashton, Kevin, etc. They've also limited the crew's nights out. I noticed that in between charters this episode, they didn't even go to dinner, much less to a club.

I think the producers' intentions were very good. I certainly don't want to watch another season of misogyny, verbal and physical assaults. Unfortunately, I think they went too far the other way and created a snooze fest instead. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 10
11 minutes ago, Jsage said:

I wonder if this season is so boring because last season was so widely criticized. I think the producers may have been scared to hire a crew that would create too much drama because they were afraid of another Ashton, Kevin, etc. They've also limited the crew's nights out. I noticed that in between charters this episode, they didn't even go to dinner, much less to a club.

I think the producers' intentions were very good. I certainly don't want to watch another season of misogyny, verbal and physical assaults. Unfortunately, I think they went too far the other way and created a snooze fest instead. 

I agree. I don't think the show wants the liabilities associated with another "Smashton". Captain Lee was embarrassed by last season. I may be in the minority, but I enjoy watching a competent crew with a creative chef. The charter guests can provide the drama.

I wish the show had more scenes of Antigua. I would love to visit there when the pandemic is over.

• Love 14
41 minutes ago, oakville said:

I agree. I don't think the show wants the liabilities associated with another "Smashton". Captain Lee was embarrassed by last season. I may be in the minority, but I enjoy watching a competent crew with a creative chef. The charter guests can provide the drama.

I wish the show had more scenes of Antigua. I would love to visit there when the pandemic is over.

Exactly, oakville and Jsage. Even at the beginning of the season, Captain Lee made sure to tell the crew that he wanted no repeat of the past season with the threatening masculinity (was that the phrase he used? Something like that). 

I'm okay with some snoozefest episodes here and there if it means there's no misogyny, sexual harassment, and disgusting behavior.

• Love 17

Just read that Petrossian crab comes from the Red King crab of Russia and it’s the largest crab in the world.  To me, there was a lot of food on the plate.  It was just on a big plate and the group had just stuffed themselves on charcuterie.  

Were they able to film a regular season or were things shut down early?  There could be A lack of drama because fewer episodes were filmed and they had to show us more of each charter instead of being able to edit a lot of footage to create drama.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Pattycake2 said:

Were they able to film a regular season or were things shut down early?  There could be A lack of drama because fewer episodes were filmed and they had to show us more of each charter instead of being able to edit a lot of footage to create drama.

They filmed most of the season. I believe they canceled one charter at the end. From the previews it will be addressed because we see Captain Lee taking about Covid. 

• Love 2

I am enjoying each and every episode watching Captain Lee and Eddie. Anything is better then watching Malia and Sandy hahaha

As far as this episode I can not get over the plating style and food prepared by Rachel. If you put all the food together on one plate you would not be able to satisfy the needs of a child. What kind of plating style is oiling all the food towards the edge of the plate?

And what was that desert? One drop of pudding and 2 leaves, all together the size of a tea spoon. 

Cooking for 7 guests and having 3-5 personnel for service is not supposed to be hard.

It is time for some of the crew to get layed......but then again, thank God NO Sandy and NO Malia....

• Love 4
17 hours ago, NannyBails said:

I don't think that the crab/couscous salad would have filled me up. 

I think the meal, as well as the presentation, would have been 100% improved by a couple slices of thin, grilled, bread in the "empty spot" (with perhaps a lighter dose of the cous cous in the salad).

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 5

I thought that couscous salad looked delicious, and I liked the plating.  Flan is very rich, and they had a big meal, so I thought the size of the dessert was fine.  I will say that these guests definitely aren’t the foodies they think they are...Whispering Angel as a fine wine?  I don’t think so.

• Love 9
22 hours ago, TexasGal said:

Their snobby ways would make them question every ingredient on the plate, the stews could make up some bs about the crab's lineage and the the ground the lettuce was grown on was royal property and watered with the tears of angels if they could think fast on their feet, those posers would act like they could taste the angel tears.

Presentation can distract from the taste of the food, if it looks fancy it will taste better,lol.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, suzsqueak said:

I also couldn't get over what looked like a couscous salad with crab from Mendocino Farms as the main for lunch. I'm sure her food is good, but I'm not impressed with what she's serving so far. Everything has seemed like something you could get at a decent restaurant and not something that's Thomas Keller level.

A couple of the crew (think it was the Chief Stew and Eddie maybe) were on WWHL a few weeks ago and when Andy asked who provided the most drama in the cast, they said it was Rachel. Which I guess we're now seeing though I'd say the bar for drama isn't particularly high for this cast as this is the flattest crew they've had yet. But drama aside, when Andy asked about her food on a scale of 1-10 they answered 30 and 150 or something like that. They both thought her food was phenomenal.

Shane would make me crazy if I had to supervise him but I do question Eddie's mode. He finds him napping and instead of waking him up on the spot, he just lets him sleep for hours, all while the rest of the crew is going flat out? Then he still doesn't really directly address it, he instead gives Shane scut work and makes a snide remark about the napping. He mentions the napping to other crew who then give Shane the heads up that he may need to try harder.

For a moment or two I felt a twinge of sympathy for Shane - who perhaps didn't realize his nap was a major problem (of course any sensible person would know this, but I've noticed young guys just out of their teens aren't always long on common sense). Eddie never directly talked to him about the behavior. He didn't wake him when he found him napping - which is the number one thing you should do. If you see a worker doing something they shouldn't be doing? Tell them. Wake Shane up, tell him what the break procedures are, tell him he's not allowed to just nap at will, tell him whatever the heck your structure is. And failing waking him up and telling him on the spot? Pull him aside the first chance you get and instruct him about the job. 

Again, any person with a shred of common sense would be able to figure this out ahead of time. But the first response of a supervisor should be to give them the benefit of the doubt and instruct them on expectations. Then if it happens again they don't have the excuse of not knowing any better. 

This little rant aside? I'm actually probably going to give up on this season. I'm just not interested in any of these people. So may dip in and out, but doubt I'll fully watch the rest.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Milan said:

And what was that desert? One drop of pudding and 2 leaves, all together the size of a tea spoon. 

Now now, you're forgetting the tiny dot of bright green goo!

Shane talked about always being the person in the front of the class in school.  I think he's a smart but spacy person.  Heaven knows I've known enough of those.  

I actually enjoy watching "boring" people...certainly more than some of the horrible people we've seen in the past! 

• Love 7

I'm in the minority that I'm kind of enjoying a more boring season.  I don't mind taking a break from the drunken fights, that's the main reason I gave up on the Housewives shows.  Wow Izzy is such a better worker as a deck hand, I'm glad she got to do what she likes.  I'm still not 100% on everyone's names but that 2nd stew either needs better direction or another job because she's way too slow and disorganized.   I'd rather see the drama come from the guests and wish we could see more beautiful location shots.   I like how Rachel had cheese and charcuterie plates ready as soon as the guests came onboard, I'm not sure why some of the other chefs find that such a hard concept.   Will Sunshine get the boot next week?  It's never a good thing when Captain Lee asks you to come talk to him.

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, SevenCostanza said:

that 2nd stew either needs better direction or another job because she's way too slow and disorganized. 

and wasn't she the one who said she was getting a lot of "negativity" because Francesca told her they needed both red and white wine glasses? 

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, dleighg said:

and wasn't she the one who said she was getting a lot of "negativity" because Francesca told her they needed both red and white wine glasses? 

Yea she said something about negativity from Francesca.  I don't find  Francesca negative at all.  I'd love to see her working with Kate.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

And she was wearing a crystal in her bra!  Or some kind of stone.  Ow?  

Sunshine, earnestly journaling away...I can't hate him, bc mainly he's just young--but I wouldn't want to be his supervisor, either!  

• Love 6
On 12/1/2020 at 10:48 AM, NannyBails said:

Oh I think Sunshine is, if anything, less perceptive and equipped to make connections than he first appears. Many college students - not just recent ones - take the path of repeating back material correctly and get excellent grades. And then there's his inability to read a room - he didn't seem to grasp how his coworkers might feel about him going off to nap, mid-shift. But what I'd loosely call "maturity" or even emotional intelligence is...not great.

• Love 9
40 minutes ago, heavysnaxx said:

Oh I think Sunshine is, if anything, less perceptive and equipped to make connections than he first appears. Many college students - not just recent ones - take the path of repeating back material correctly and get excellent grades.

He also seemed to be looking for pats on the back rather than.... just doing the job. Going to Eddie to ask what he wants him to do--- and then Eddie says "Hey the list of tasks is pasted on the wall." I get that he doesn't want to do the "wrong thing," but I'm sure Eddie would rather not be telling him every 15 minutes what task to do next. And it was just plain weird that he "came clean" to the captain about leaving the door open. Who does that? It was like he wanted extra credit for that.

• Love 9
27 minutes ago, dleighg said:

He also seemed to be looking for pats on the back rather than.... just doing the job. Going to Eddie to ask what he wants him to do--- and then Eddie says "Hey the list of tasks is pasted on the wall." I get that he doesn't want to do the "wrong thing," but I'm sure Eddie would rather not be telling him every 15 minutes what task to do next. And it was just plain weird that he "came clean" to the captain about leaving the door open. Who does that? It was like he wanted extra credit for that.

Assuming that Sunshine is actually book smart based on his graduation from Cal, this kind of makes sense to me.  I always did really well in school, which up until you're about Sunshine's age is your main measure of success in life.  So at that age I felt like I was going to ace everything in life until reality kinda smacks you in the face and you figure out that there is a lot more to life than just doing assigned reading and taking tests.  I think he's shocked that it's not just coming naturally to him, that everyone doesn't just give him the benefit of the doubt etc. 

Further in Sunshine's favor is that he has that whole California blonde hair blue eyes cute guy thing going for him.  I'd be surprised if he's faced a lot of rejection in life.

• Love 13
15 hours ago, Milan said:

As far as this episode I can not get over the plating style and food prepared by Rachel. If you put all the food together on one plate you would not be able to satisfy the needs of a child. What kind of plating style is oiling all the food towards the edge of the plate?

It's generally referred to as using negative space.  It is very common in high end restaurants and I'm not surprised that Rachel is using it.

I'm kind of enjoying the growing Izzy and James relationship.

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

Sunshine is actually book smart based on his graduation from Cal, this kind of makes sense to me.

As someone who has lived in the Bay Area for 20 years and have many friends and acquaintances who went to Cal, it’s entirely possible to graduate even if your not that booksmart.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 12/1/2020 at 8:45 AM, Lassus said:

[begins to type...]

On 12/1/2020 at 10:05 AM, TexasGal said:

Truer words were never spoken.

Took the words right out of my fingers.  I have been in this house for over 10 months now..............😷😩

On 12/1/2020 at 12:45 PM, Lassus said:

I think there's a little "rank hath it's privileges" in Captain Lee having his Cheerios prepared for him.  Given that he's not asking for charred salmon over homemade bread and milk at precisely 12 degrees centigrade make it seem allowable to me.

Kate said she brought him breakfast every morning.  

• Love 5

First of all, I'm enjoying this season. I'm not gritting my teeth and HATING half the crew and for that I'm thankful. I think the more we see the aggressive, abusive, misogynistic behavior we were treated to last season, the more normal it becomes in our society. And I am not here for that! I'm still pissed at Andy Cohen for giving those assholes a pass at the reunion last year.

And compared to BDMed? Sandy with her creepy, lying, unprofessional "leadership" has gotten gross. It's taken a few years for her true colors to emerge and I don't like her colors. I was in and out of last season and never did watch Hannah get fired. 

So give me Captain Lee with his gruff exterior but soft spot for competent, hard working crew. I like his simple requests for dry clothes and exactly how he wants his coffee and breakfast. He doesn't want a hug nor does he tell you he loves you (as Sandy did with J-Wow).

Eddie isn't quite the leader I would have hoped at his age but I think he's trying not to explode at Shane. I still don't understand the Sunshine nickname. Sunshine earned the starting quarterback position in Remember the Titans and helped bring about positive changes for the team and the town so I think being called Sunshine is a compliment. Izzy is killing it as a deckhand, mentor to Shane, friend to her roommate (can't remember his name), and on Twitter. I LOVED the shade she threw at Ashton when she remarked you can teach how to tie knots without being a jerk. LOVED it.
I would love to see Eddie supervise Rhylee. She could soar under Eddie's leadership!

Her roommate is revealing himself week by weeks a likable, vulnerable person. When a cast mate reveals their true personality I think the show can really soar. That's true for the Housewives shows as well as BD shows and I think it's the key to Bravo success. 

I really like Ashlin (sp?), the third stew. They way she jumped into the laundry and got it organized was great. Laundry needs to hum along all the time in the background. I stopped the screen at one point to read the messages on a white board and she had the laundry schedule laid out for when different loads would be done. For instance, crew personal laundry only on turnover days. She signed the schedule so you'd think I'd remember how to spell her name.

I want Rachel to cook for me but I think I'd want to be drinking to hang out with her. That bawdy humor goes down a lot better after some booze, rather than during work hours, especially if the Captain is in the kitchen. She is holding in her unhappiness with Francesca and that's not good. It could come roiling out like a volcano and Francesca won't know she's in trouble until it's a big, big problem.

Edited by lcarolynl
  • Love 15

This is the most boring season and the cast is horrible, none of them have any personality most are just irritating or I'm in a bad mood every time I watch this show.  Something I've noticed in every episode too is nobody combs their hair and they look gross all the time like they just crawled out of their bunks.

Edited by endure
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, lcarolynl said:

And compared to BDMed? Sandy with her creepy, lying, unprofessional "leadership" has gotten gross. It's taken a few years for her true colors to emerge and I don't like her colors. I was in and out of last season and never did watch Hannah get fired. 

So give me Captain Lee with his gruff exterior but soft spot for competent, hard working crew. I like his simple requests for dry clothes and exactly how he wants his coffee and breakfast. He doesn't want a hug nor does he tell you he loves you (as Sandy did with J-Wow).

I really like Ashlin (sp?), the third stew. They way she jumped into the laundry and got it organized was great. Laundry needs to hum along all the time in the background. I stopped the screen at one point to read the messages on a white board and she had the laundry schedule laid out for when different loads would be done. For instance, crew personal laundry only on turnover days. She signed the schedule so you'd think I'd remember how to spell her name.

I want Rachel to cook for me but I think I'd want to be drinking to hang out with her. That bawdy humor goes down a lot better after some booze, rather than during work hours, especially if the Captain is in the kitchen. She is holding in her unhappiness with Francesca and that's not good. It could come roiling out like a volcano and Francesca won't know she's in trouble until it's a big, big problem.

Captain Sandy should watch Captain Lee & learn how to manage a crew without causing chaos. I am still mad at Captain Sandy for firing Chef Kiko & Hannah. Her decision to be BFF with Malia Maritime Law & her stressed out boyfriend chef was a disaster.

I am impressed that Rachel is so familiar with many types of cuisine. I do think that she should have realized that her charter guests wouldn't like fancy food with mostly empty plates.

I like Francesca. She has a hard time training Elizabeth.

1 hour ago, lcarolynl said:

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, oakville said:

I do think that she should have realized that her charter guests wouldn't like fancy food with mostly empty plates.

Why? They said they were foodies and asked for wine pairings and a tasting menu? 

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Why? They said they were foodies and asked for wine pairings and a tasting menu? 

It's true that they said that but they didn't know the difference between fresh crab & canned crab. The primary charter guest didn't even bother to eat the rack of lamb. He went back to his cabin.

2 minutes ago, oakville said:

It's true that they said that but they didn't know the difference between fresh crab & canned crab. The primary charter guest didn't even bother to eat the rack of lamb. He went back to his cabin.

Well at the time she had already planned her menu and probably did at least some of the prep work so it wouldn’t really make sense to change it when they were already nitpicking about the crab. I imagine if it wasn’t what they asked for they would have bitched about that as well. 

• Love 1

Elizabeth looked good in comparison to Izzy on the first charter so she's second stew.

But she doesn't look so good compared to Ashling -- her parents did her wrong with that name.

So now she's complaining to her friend over the phone.

Really the BD writers should always set up these conflicts between generations because that's what it seems to come down to.

Rachel should know better than to expect foodies after kids on the second charter.  She should have prepped the Kids Menu but with large portions.

This is the first time I recall them printing out menus.  They could really make dishes seem greater than they are with florid menu descriptions.

Even if the guests were true foodies, how would that be any better?  Serving snobs is better for the crew?

• Love 1
6 hours ago, oakville said:

they didn't know the difference between fresh crab & canned crab

It wasn't even that they thought it was canned crab-- they thought it was FAKE crab, i.e. Krab. Francesca is the one who turned that into "canned crab" when reporting to Rachel. Krab doesn't look ANYTHING like what was on that plate, so that was stupid of the guests. 

• Love 6