Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Chapter Thirteen - The Jedi

• Start Topic

We didn't have to wait for Ahsoka, we got here at the beginning.  That was awesome.

Ahsoka, Yoda's Theme, Grogu got the ball again, Kyle Reese, Loth-Cat cameo, a Thrawn namedrop, and the possibility of a live action Ezra or Cal Kestis (some Jedi is gonna sense Grogu).  There's just so damn much to love about this episode, it lived up to the promise.

I'm guessing Thrawn is the one giving orders to Gideon.

• Love 18

Ahsoka Tano! Front and center! With her white lightsabers. My only minor complaint is the same I had last season, the head montrals and head tail are not amazing. That aside, I can’t believe she’s finally in the live action world! Loved her outfit. Her ghost like movement in the woods were great. 

The Child has a name! And was raised on Corusant. Jedi’s hiding their abilities as a child seems to be a Filoni staple. First Kanan and now the Child.

I kinda wish Ahsoka had told Din more about being a Jedi. She’s kinda leaving Din with a lot of unknowns for raising a Force user. But sending him to a Jedi temple, that’s interesting.

And to the name drop of Thrawn! Loth Cats! This is the second episode that really world builds and lays the groundwork for either other shows or what could be coming down the pipes for Din. First its Bo Katan’s mythos, the Dark Saber and the battle for Mandalore. Now its Ahsoka looking for Thrawn. Backdoor pilots?

I thought for a moment we were going to see Ezra Bridger with all the Loth Cats running around (seriously, I know its probably just fan service but those cats on different planets just get me smiling). Should we assume Ezra is still missing or dead if Ahsoka is looking for Thrawn? No Sabine with her either.

I wonder if Ahsoka is going to follow Din to the next planet to use the Child as bait to see if it lures out Ezra? Or Luke-paging Sebastian Stan! Or even Cal? Is there another Jedi in canon that has survived? Or even Jedi Ghosts in the temple? Yoda? Anakin? Obi Wan? The possibilities are endless....

Edited by SnoGirl
  • Love 10

I thought when Ahsoka name dropped Yoda, Din would ask where he could find him. 

But I loved Grogu? Is that how it would be spelled? Answered to his name and boy the things he must have been telling Ahsoka.

Plus Ahsoka's cryptic I knew someone like him regarding Baby's fear. How about a little more detail, Din is flying by his pants here. Of course Baby sees him as Dad.

Loved the fight.  That spear was cool.  Don't know who Thrawn is but sounds interesting. 

Edited by callmebetty
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, NeenerNeener said:

Baby Yoda is going to end up as a Mandalorian since he's formed an attachment to Din and the Jedi don't want him.

Technically, Kylo Ren was never a Sith...so the Force outliers are balanced...

2 minutes ago, callmebetty said:

Don't know who Thrawn is but sounds interesting. 

Thrawn is the main Imperial villain from Rebels ... last we saw, Ezra was holding him prisoner on a ship that hyper-jumped away from Ahsoka & Sabine.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Msample said:

Curious we never see what happens to the Magistrate.

I suspect it didn't end well for the Magistrate.

Michael Biehn !  Cpl. Hicks from Aliens/Kyle Reese from Terminator.

Glad that baby Yoda finally got a name, and some backstory.  I'm even more curious to find out who hid him during the attack on the Jedi Temple.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 9
21 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I suspect it didn't end well for the Magistrate.

Depends if she gave up Thrawn or she has some kind of biometric access to a secret location

Edited by paigow
  • Love 1

Oh man...  I don't care about Ahsoka Tano. I don't know who she is and I have no idea who she was talking about...

But thank the force that Grogu and Din are staying together! I'll have to rewatch that episode, but it ended so much better than I thought it would. 

Also... is the planet she named with that temple where Luke is? More importantly, will we get to see Grogu with some porgs?

• Love 6
2 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

Is anyone besides me kind of... underwhelmed....by the name "Grogu"? Just me? Ok then....

I had read it as a spoiler months ago as GROKU.  All of us were preparing for a revolt over it, but maybe not.

• Love 1

Damn, leave it to Filoni to not mess around with his Ahsoka Tano reveal!  Few seconds in the episode and she's here in the flesh, just double light sabering (or laser swording as Mando would probably call it!) fools like they were nothing.  Good to know that along with her Jedi training, she apparently study Batman when it came to the art of stealth!  A good introduction into the universe and Rosario Dawson seems to be a perfect fit for the role.  And we even get a Thrawn name-drop as well!  I wonder if anymore of the Rebels gang is going to show up on this show at some point.

So, the big reveal is that Baby Yoda is actually none other than Grogu.  A Jedi trainee from Corusant, who was saved during the fall of the Jedi (by who I wonder?), and was hidden to the point that he can't remember how to use most of his powers anymore.  Glad we (and Mando) finally got a name for him, even though it is honestly going to be really hard for me to not keep referring to him as Baby Yoda.  Still, I'm sure I'll get there at some point!

Also Mando has now acquired a staff that can be used against laser swords... I mean lightsabers, which I'm sure will come in handy (likely finale time.)

Almost didn't recognize Michael Biehn as the Magistrate's henchman/number one.

Pleasantly surprised that the one helpful townsfolk didn't die.  I thought for sure it was heading in that direction.

Of course Grogu/Baby Yoda is more comfortable with using his powers with Mando instead of Ahsoka.   You might not want to admit it yet, Mando, but you really are his dad now!

In the end, Ahsoka worries that her training Grogu might lead to an another Anakin/Darth Vader situation, so she suggest Mando takes him to a temple, where hopefully they can summon another Jedi to train him instead.  I can definitely see them using this to bring in another character from the animated shows or maybe even Cal from the Fallen Order video game.  Of course, since they're still unknowingly being tracked, it is certainly possible Moff Gideon and his gang could screw everything up before anyone else shows up.

Great episode!

• Love 13
47 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

In the end, Ahsoka worries that her training Grogu might lead to an another Anakin/Darth Vader situation, so she suggest Mando takes him to a temple, where hopefully they can summon another Jedi to train him instead. 

Leia might sense him and call Luke...

2 hours ago, Babalooie said:

I had read it as a spoiler months ago as GROKU.

May the Stream be with you

This episode was The Siege...Every day another squad would chase her and die...She was probably there for weeks or months killing everyone sporadically...

Edited by paigow
  • LOL 3
6 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

Is anyone besides me kind of... underwhelmed....by the name "Grogu"? Just me? Ok then.....

Good episode anyway. Baby Yoda is going to end up as a Mandalorian since he's formed an attachment to Din and the Jedi don't want him.

As soon as the episode ended, I turned to my husband and said, "I don't like the name 'Grogu.'" I don't know why I don't like it - but it sounds wrong, and doesn't seem to fit the Child.

• Love 13
7 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

Is anyone besides me kind of... underwhelmed....by the name "Grogu"? Just me? Ok then.....

Good episode anyway. Baby Yoda is going to end up as a Mandalorian since he's formed an attachment to Din and the Jedi don't want him.

I like the name well enough. I think it'll grow on me. 

• Love 2

Ahsoka! It was great to see her in live action with her double lightsabers. She's also looking for Thrawn which doesn't bode well for Ezra. 

I figured they'd find a way for her not take Groku? I heard about that being his name a while ago, still not sure I like it. 

We got finally got some backstory on the child. He was actually in training on Corusant. Poor little guy having to hide all that time and everyone is trying to kill him. 

• Love 2

Grogu: I'm currently rereading the Hobbit and I admit I had to giggle a bit. Tiny creature with big appetite, Baby Yoda's a Hobbit! I'll get used to the name but I don't think the franchise/meme complex will. 

Great episode - bit of Kill Bill, bit of CTHD, bit Spaghetti western sprinkled with some Kurosawa, what can go wrong? I liked Ahsoka in Rebels and her live action version is pretty awesome too. The fight scenes were fantastic - just checked Diana Lee Inosanto's Wikipedia page, that's one impressive lady. It's probably too much to hope that the old tv rule of no body means not dead applies here.

I wonder if Favreau intends a spin-off for Ahsolka (In the meantime I definitely need to watch Clone Wars - and probably rewatch Rebels, something to do over the holidays).

Dang, that was one monochrome planet.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 7

Mando picked a bad time to show up on that planet. But it seems like he picks a bad time to show up everywhere.

This episode was giving me Game of Thrones vibes, especially those dusky scenes. Wonder if Pedro felt nostalgic, hah, hah?

Lol at Baby Yoda finally getting to spill the tea to somebody about Daddy Mando. "He won't let me eat whatever I want! He makes me sleep in this little closet! He walks so fast I can hardly keep up sometimes!"

Grogu was not trying to play catch until he also wanted to make Mando proud.

Was anyone waiting for the Magistrate to say, "Ahsoka, I am your mother!"? No? Just me?

Poor Mando, can't get rid that kid to save his life.😉

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • LOL 6
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

It was spoiled to me last summer so it wasn't a complete shock to me.  I don't like the name but I guess I better get used to it.

I feel so bad for the child. Alone and frightened for so long and most likely abused during that "dark" period the Jedi couldn't see.  And now he has a daddy who still hasn't realized or accepted that the baby has already chosen somebody. And not some Jedi.  Him.

Michael Biehn channeling Johnny Ringo in his Star Wars turn.

Ahsoka Tano means nothing to me but she made some points with me for knowing that the child belongs with Mando.

• Love 12
15 hours ago, paigow said:

"The Jedi"

If Thrawn is alive, Ezra must be dead

Johnny Ringo met somebody faster...again

At one point he said I've no quarrel with you....ah Tombstone best damn Western around.

Wow this episode had Johnny Ringo, a Thrawn name drop, we got Baby Yoda's name...I don't like it. I'm also not sure how I feel about Rosario Dawson as Ahsoka. She looked fantastic but, i just wasn't feeling it. This might just be a need to adjust from cartoon to Live Action.

Hilariously enough I actually wondered if it was Thrawn she was looking for and yet ended up being shocked that we actually got Thrawn mentioned in Live Action.

We got Loth Cats, I do so love them. I wish we got the White Owl/Bird. 

Also wish they gave some more details about Jedi vs Force Sensitive/Force Wielder. At this point we have 2 Jedi (unless Ahsoka counts herself as a Jedi now?) - Luke and Ezra (I still think he's alive).

Psst Feloni - Sam Wit wer for Live Action Ezra!

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 7

Mando was like a father trying to get his son into a good school. He was so proud when he took the ship thing then all put out when the teacher said no. He's like what, he's amazing you saw what he can do. Lol

• LOL 11
  • Love 9

Shakes head. You would think this episode was the second coming going by the reaction of certain sections of fandom.  This one and the one with Bo Katan are my least favorites so far this season.   And some of my favorites are the episodes the fandom calls  "filler". 

This show is really starting to leave me behind.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Also... is the planet she named with that temple where Luke is? More importantly, will we get to see Grogu with some porgs?

No, that was Ach-To.  The planet she mentioned, Tython, was one of the worlds thought to have had the first Jedi Temple. In the “Star Wars: The Old Republic” game (which takes place centuries before this), Tython was the starting planet for Jedi trainees, and the place where the Jedi Order fled after the Temple on Coruscant was sacked by the Sith.

Edited by jcin617
  • Useful 4
22 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

He's like what, he's amazing you saw what he can do. Lol

More like "I just contributed a million credits to build your new stadium and you put him on the wait list! WTF"

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, jcin617 said:

In the “Knights of the Old Republic” game (which takes place centuries before this), Tython was the starting planet for Jedi trainees, and the place where the Jedi Order fled after the Temple on Coruscant was sacked by the Sith.

Oh thank you! I was googling Jedi Temples and Rebels thinking because I couldn't remember the names...second Temple was Sith not Jedi.

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

. I wish we got the White Owl/Bird. 

There was a quick shot of an owl before Ahsoka showed up. I took that as being Morai. 

Also I just realized the Viper got his spear back. Lol. I got a little GoT vibes with prisoners on the poles too. 

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, Gillian Rosh said:

I keep thinking about the tracking device that was put on the Razor Crest last week...

Me too. I guess Mando needed to get the beskar spear before he’s ready to deal with Gideon and the darksaber. 

38 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

There was a quick shot of an owl before Ahsoka showed up. I took that as being Morai. 

Also I just realized the Viper got his spear back. Lol. I got a little GoT vibes with prisoners on the poles too. 

Oh, I didn't notice. I will have to go back and watch. Thanks!

Speaking as someone who knows NONE of the backstory outside of the original trilogy and two-thirds of the second trilogy, I LOVED this episode. Action, atmosphere, new characters (for us SW pseudovirgins) and a new destination for Mando and ... Grogu. *rolls that around on the tongue* Grogu, Grogu, Grogu.... sure, why not? 

So Ahsoka is the second person to tell Mando "you are as a father to him" -- IIRC, the Armourer was the first. He seems very reluctant to accept what's obvious to everyone else. Having lost his parents so violently and so young, I guess he's afraid to let anyone close. Another reason why he had no problem accepting the restriction of never removing his armor -- it's a physical manifestation of his emotional armor.

When he was talking to Ahsoka, I could almost hear Mando thinking, "And I thought I belonged to a weird religious sect of warriors -- we're downright normal compared to THESE people!"

So Grogu has already had Force training -- for his race, he's still a toddler who can't even talk -- how young do they start!?

Still waiting for that tracker on the Razor Crest to come into play....

• Love 16
1 hour ago, magdalene said:

Shakes head. You would think this episode was the second coming going by the reaction of certain sections of fandom.  This one and the one with Bo Katan are my least favorites so far this season.   And some of my favorites are the episodes the fandom calls  "filler". 

This show is really starting to leave me behind.

I agree to a certain extent. I couldn't care less about the two characters from the other shows. They mean nothing to me and are just like new characters to me. But, I still liked the episodes. They were important to Mando's mission and the relationship between Mando and Grogu. 

I liked this episode mostly because it proved the rumors false, and the Dadalorian lives on. 

I'd be perfectly fine if we're done with Ahsoka now. I would kind of like to see Bo Katan return to teach Mando more about being a less strict Mandalorian. It wouldn't be so awful to see Pedro's face... 😉

• Like 1
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, Gummo said:

So Grogu has already had Force training -- for his race, he's still a toddler who can't even talk -- how young do they start!?

The Jedi start young, Ahsoka was like 3 when she started training at the temple. Then they threw her into a war when she was 14. They wanted them younger so it would be easier to train them. 

I wanted Ahsoka to say she wasn't a Jedi. So technically Mando has not met a Jedi yet. 

I knew they'd wouldn't let Ahsoka take the child. That never would've been the plan. They know people like dadMando and the child. The child chose him and now we need to have Mando choose Groku. He's not all the way there yet. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I knew they'd wouldn't let Ahsoka take the child. That never would've been the plan.

In 5 minutes she found out more than Mando did in 5 months...Grogu needs her

5 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

At one point he said I've no quarrel with you....ah Tombstone best damn Western around.

I beg to differ, sir. We started a game we never got to finish. Play for blood, remember?

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Biggie B said:

As soon as the episode ended, I turned to my husband and said, "I don't like the name 'Grogu.'" I don't know why I don't like it - but it sounds wrong, and doesn't seem to fit the Child.

I like that after learning the name, Mando still calls him Kid. My grandmother called everyone Kiddo - for me, it's a very affectionate nickname.

• Love 5

Grogu needs to review threat assessment protocol...

• Stranger [Cara] arm wrestles Daddy ---> Force Choke
  • Stranger [Ahsoka] tries to kill Daddy with Laser Swords ---> ...............
Edited by paigow
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 20
  • Love 1

Grogu, huh? I'm not loving the name. I guess I was expecting something a little more cutesy. It's gonna take a lot of getting used to. I didn't think they would split Mando and the child up this soon, but I'm still relieved it didn't happen. I was thinking that maybe the reason Ahsoka refused to train Grogu is because she could sense from him that he did not want to leave Mando. 

I was hoping for Ahsoka to translate more of the child's thoughts to Mando, like at the end of the episode I wanted her to say "By the way, he said you need to feed him more often". All in all, this was a pretty good episode, and I liked that it was a bit longer too.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

Toddler age. They take them from their families young to break their attachment. The Jedi Order was pretty horrible, IMHO. 

I haven't seen Rebels, so I don't know how Rebels developed Ahsoka from her Clone Wars days. I was disappointed at how well... Jedi-like Ahsoka was. I thought she was forging a new path after seeing how the Jedi Order lost its way. 

She knows that there are other paths for using the Force then just Jedi, so I didn't understand why she suggested Grogu would lose his Force abilities if he didn't train. We've seen him do some powerful stuff and a variety of stuff, so I don't think her belief is correct there. He's not losing anything. He's almost certainly gained some abilities during his time in the darkness since I doubt the Jedi Temple taught him force choking. 

I've always thought the implications for Grogu's life were grim, so I'm glad that canon made that explicit without making it too explicit. 

I loved the actress who played Elspeth. She had such a powerful presence. I hope she's still alive because I'd love to see her again. Also, I want to see more fight scenes with her.

• Love 8

I'm expecting the beskar spear to come into play later on. Maybe Mando will use it to fight Moff Gideon. I know they'd probably use a stunt man, but Pedro does have some experience. 😄 He just needs to keep his helmet on!

image.png.f3bb3a3e7018d2e54e55499796873c6c.png

• LOL 7
  • Love 11

First off - thank you Dave Filoni. I don't much follow spoilers for this show I like to watch unspoiled and I figured that we wouldn't see Ahsoka until the end of the episode just as the credits came on. I'm so happy that we got an entire action packed episode with the character showing up right from the start. 

Wow! This will probably go down as my favorite episode this season, I'm not saying its the best episode of the season, just my personal favorite. I a HUGE Ashoka fan, even though I still haven't gotten thru all the Clone Wars episodes (I always get stuck around season 5 when DM comes back - I feel that area of the show really drags). I wasn't too happy when I first heard Rosario Dawson was playing Ashoka, only because I am not a huge fan of her acting. She pretty much won me over here. Her portrayal was just perfect, her movements and even some of her facial expression looked like the cartoon version. It was awesome, I really am just so pleased. Now I'm seriously going to go get thru all those Clone Wars episodes!

Put me down on the list of folks that aren't too pleased about "Grogu".....meh, I think they could have done better there but I don't think it matters much.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

Toddler age. They take them from their families young to break their attachment. The Jedi Order was pretty horrible, IMHO. 

They learned from the Jesuits 'Give me a child until he is seven and I'll show you the man' (the Jesuits had picked it up from Aristotle).

8 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

I loved the actress who played Elspeth. She had such a powerful presence. I hope she's still alive because I'd love to see her again. Also, I want to see more fight scenes with her.

Her father is Dan Inosanto, martial arts legend and instructor, also training partner of Bruce Lee, who was her godfather. Also: she's 54.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Useful 13
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

I haven't seen Rebels, so I don't know how Rebels developed Ahsoka from her Clone Wars days. I was disappointed at how well... Jedi-like Ahsoka was. I thought she was forging a new path after seeing how the Jedi Order lost its way. 

She was more like her Rebels characterization. I do hope we get more of her on a different show since I want to know what happened to her at the end of Rebels. Although her montrals and lekku are much shorter than her Rebels version. But I suppose that's so Dawson and the stunt double can move around and fight better. 

As for being different she is also in her mid 40's now, she was a teenager during the clone wars. She still believes in some of their ways but doesn't have to follow their strict code anymore. 

It did look like Grogu was telling her all about Mando during their interview since she kept looking at him. (Complete with DadMando pacing nervously in the hallway hoping his son was answering all the questions correctly. Lol) She probably knew he didn't want to leave, so she made excuses why she couldn't train him. Then gave him an option to get training from an actual Jedi if that's what he wants. Since Grogu probably saw in her mind that she left the Jedi order a long time ago. 

• Like 1
  • Love 8

I’m also someone who is mostly unfamiliar with the Star Wars universe outside the movies, and I enjoyed this episode quite a bit. Ashoka was an intriguing character to me, and I thought the way they introduced her was very cool - her appearing and disappearing in the fog/smoke as she turned her light saber on and off was a really neat effect for me. 

The scenes with her and Grogu and Mando were great. I loved that as she was communicating with the Child initially, Din was pacing nervously off to the side. And there was a little exchange between her and Grogu where they both looked at Din, and then moved closer to him to continue. In my mind Grogu was like, “My dad’s kind of freaking out. Can we be done now?” 🙂 

I thought it was interesting, too, that the first time she heard Din call Grogu “kid,” she corrected him, but after seeing Grogu respond to him, and, I think, Din’s pleasure and pride when the baby made the ball move, she didn’t mention it again when Din called the baby “kid.” She realized it was affection not (just) ignorance that had made Din call him that. 

Also I loved Grogu’s little chirps the first couple of times Din called him by name. And (I think) his holding onto Din’s finger at the end after Ashoka had given him her finger when saying goodbye. Sweet moments.

• Love 21