Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Chapter Thirteen - The Jedi

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I realized that to me, Grogu sounds like too harsh a name for The Child. It sounds like a fierce monster name. It's too guttural or something.

On the plus side it probably means it won't end up being one of 2020's most popular baby names.

• LOL 12
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Lemuria said:

So I think the choice Grogu will face on Tython is to choose whether he wishes to walk the path of a Force user or the path of a Mandalorian.  And I think that this choice would be left to the end.

I like it! 😊😄 

I keep forgetting to mention this. We had 2 HK-87s (models upgrade) and not 1 "meatbag". Highly disappointing 😐

Edited by Morrigan2575

Grogu can be both a Force user and a Mandalorian.  There was one before him - Tarre Viszla.

I think part of the reason they gave the baby such  an un-cute name is to balance the cuteness.  They said in the Gallery series that the baby is already so very cute they don't want him to get "cutesy".

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 11/29/2020 at 9:27 PM, johntfs said:

And yes, there was some clear if subtle flirty vibes coming from Ahsoka.  That "I like firsts" and then the smiles at the "laser sword" line.  Clearly Dads are kind of sexy to her.

That's clearly why Din is all "wherever I go, he goes."  Grogu is a "chick magnet." 😄 (I also like the smile she had when she was "talking" to Grogu and they both glanced over at Din.  I wonder what Grogu told her!)

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Lemuria said:

That's clearly why Din is all "wherever I go, he goes."  Grogu is a "chick magnet." 😄 (I also like the smile she had when she was "talking" to Grogu and they both glanced over at Din.  I wonder what Grogu told her!)

Smiles.  Maybe Grogu told her: "That's my daddy, he is super awesome and I want to be just like him when I grow up."

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

Just watched The Angry Joe review and they reminded me of a few things. One the Beskar Spear will come in handy against the Dark Saber.  

One comment on the video was that Michael Biehn using the shotgun might have been a nod to The Terminator. Which actually makes sense because I kept thinking it was such an odd gun to have in Star Wars.

Finally some of the clips they showed reminded how lovely the visuals were. The use of the fog and, the white lightsabers in the beginning and, the shot of Mando with Ahsoka standing on the roof behind him. Very cool.

• Love 3

They had some great visuals of Ahsoka being Batman. Lol. I loved the shot of her opening her light sabers together illuminating her face. 

It's too bad we'll never know that Grogu told Ahsoka about Din. He looked like he was telling her about one of their adventures and that got her to look at him and smiling. 

• Love 3

Ahsoka said that Grogu's memory goes dark after he escaped Order 66 and was in hiding.  I'm not sure if she meant it goes dark because he is in a dark place emotionally and mentally, or it goes dark meaning he doesn't remember that time.  But either way, my guess is that he tells her about Mando saving him (twice), because that's where his memory picks up again - and that's when she smiles at Din.  I also guess that Grogu may be smart enough to not mention all the other times that Mando exposes him to danger or abandons him with strangers. 😉 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
On 12/2/2020 at 7:43 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

On the plus side it probably means it won't end up being one of 2020's most popular baby names.

If Elon Musk has another kid, Grogu will be one of the names

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Just watched The Angry Joe review and they reminded me of a few things. One the Beskar Spear will come in handy against the Dark Saber.  

One comment on the video was that Michael Biehn using the shotgun might have been a nod to The Terminator. Which actually makes sense because I kept thinking it was such an odd gun to have in Star Wars.

It was a nod to Aliens.  Biehn was Corporal Hicks, who carrried a shotgun along with all the futuristic weaponry.  "I like to keep this handy, for close encounters."

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, Orbert said:

It was a nod to Aliens.  Biehn was Corporal Hicks, who carrried a shotgun along with all the futuristic weaponry.  "I like to keep this handy, for close encounters."

I think both. He used a Shotgun in The Terminator and Aliens. 😁 

It's a shame he never made it big but, Michael Biehn had some iconic roles (Reese, Hicks, Johnny Ringo)

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I think both. He used a Shotgun in The Terminator and Aliens. 😁 

It's a shame he never made it big but, Michael Biehn had some iconic roles (Reese, Hicks, Johnny Ringo)

He is a solid candidate for "American Sean Bean" dying in The Abyss, The Rock and The Art Of War

• Love 1

I just realized that if Grogu is 50, then he is around the same age as Ahsoka. At this point she'd be around 45ish. I suppose if he's considered a toddler now he must've been considered an infant and that why she never met him. She looked to be around 4 or 5 when she joined. 

• Love 2
On 11/30/2020 at 6:54 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

Thank You for the Clarification.

I agree, when I originally heard about TFA I actually assumed we were getting Jacen and Jaina.

I stopped reading the books a little after Kyp Durron was introduced. At the time it was just Haven, Jaina and, little Aniken...apparently the books went very dark with the Solo/Skywalker children after I stopped reading. However, even that story would have been better than what we got with Kylo Ren and, Rey

I forgot when I stopped, it was so long ago, but it was before they went down their dark path. But after years of not reading them, I checked out an audiobook sometime in the mid-2000s, and for some reason I was compelled to skip to the last disc (I never skip to the end of a book, ever) and realized what had become of Jacen. Even though I hadn't read any of the series in years, it was almost heartbreaking. I couldn't continue with it after that. But yeah, I agree, that storyline would have been so much better.

• Love 1
On 11/29/2020 at 2:27 PM, Llywela said:

That's where I know Thrawn from. I read and loved Zahn's trilogy as a teen. I liked what we saw of Ahsoka here and Bo-Katan back in her episode, and felt able to understand and follow their stories as they played out on-screen (Jedi in hiding and pure-blood Mandalorian fighting to reclaim her birthright, each with a story of their own that intersects with Din's only briefly) but having not seen Rebels or Clone Wars or any other extended universe series, I find the episode threads here quite difficult to follow at times, as so much of the discussion seems to revolve around characters and events from other shows rather than what happened here in this one.

Me too. While I enjoy this show and enjoy the bond between Din and Grogu, I have learned from The Mandalorian that I prefer a fuller ensemble cast!

I agree with all of this. I also loved Thrawn as a teenager. Those books are what I was hoping the sequels would be like but oh well that ship has passed and....sunk.   I’m not used to a thread that pulls so heavily from material beyond the episode while barely discussing the episode so this has been very hard to follow.

I loved the visuals of Ahsoka disappearing into the fog and fully using the force. It was pretty amazing and she looked great so I’d be up for more of her. Love me some Katee/Starbuck so I was hoping to love Bo-Katan but she hasn’t grown on me yet. Can’t believe I’m going to have to do research to figure out who Ezra is. I’m just not a big fan of adult cartoons which is what I assumed Clone wars was. Or I guess I’ll call my nephew and drive him crazy with questions. he’s seen it all and is already mad that I can’t catch all the “Easter eggs”. 🙂

• Love 1
8 hours ago, MissL said:

Can’t believe I’m going to have to do research to figure out who Ezra is. I’m just not a big fan of adult cartoons which is what I assumed Clone wars was. Or I guess I’ll call my nephew and drive him crazy with questions. he’s seen it all and is already mad that I can’t catch all the “Easter eggs”. 🙂

Ezra is from Rebels, which is more of kids show then clone wars. Still worth a watch though imo. I just call the Clone Wars an animated series because after the first 2 seasons it's not a cartoon. It's about a war and they didn't wimp out showing that. 

I want Ahsoka to get her own show, she's a character we've been watching since she was 14 and she's 45 now so I want to see more of her story. I think Ezra and Thrawn should be saved for that story. 

10 hours ago, MissL said:

Can’t believe I’m going to have to do research to figure out who Ezra is. I’m just not a big fan of adult cartoons which is what I assumed Clone wars was. Or I guess I’ll call my nephew and drive him crazy with questions. he’s seen it all and is already mad that I can’t catch all the “Easter eggs”.

You really don't, he's an Easter Egg for Rebels fans. My guess id that Ezra, will be saved for an Ahsoka series (live action or animated). 

Thrawn may show up as the next Big Bad for The Mandalorian or may be reserved for an Ahsoka series.

On 11/28/2020 at 1:48 AM, nomodrama said:

Put me down on the list of folks that aren't too pleased about "Grogu".....meh, I think they could have done better there but I don't think it matters much.

I dealt with Groot.  I can deal with Grogu.  😁

On 11/28/2020 at 1:48 AM, Capricasix said:

It took me a shamefully long time to recognize Michael Biehn 😄

Me, too.  And I was a Michael Biehn fangirl.  

On 11/28/2020 at 8:27 AM, bethy said:

The scenes with [Ashoka] and Grogu and Mando were great. I loved that as she was communicating with the Child initially, Din was pacing nervously off to the side. And there was a little exchange between her and Grogu where they both looked at Din, and then moved closer to him to continue. In my mind Grogu was like, “My dad’s kind of freaking out. Can we be done now?” 🙂 

I agree.  I bet "the kid" was telling her all about his adventures with his dad.  Mando has become super protective of Grogu, so I loved him pacing back and forth in the background.

On 11/29/2020 at 9:18 AM, paigow said:

One word: Zoom School!

That's two words.  😉

On 11/29/2020 at 7:36 PM, SnoGirl said:

Also, I might low key be shipping Ahsoka and Din. That second time through, whew, it got warm watching Ahsoka get so close to Din repeatedly. I know some people are hoping Din never takes off his helmet, but I really wish we could see his face reactions sometimes. 

There was certainly some chemistry going on between Mando and Ahsoka.  When she leaned in and said "Groku"  it was almost intimate.  The kid, the armor and the swagger.  Mando's got it going on.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, taurusrose said:

There was certainly some chemistry going on between Mando and Ahsoka.  When she leaned in and said "Groku"  it was almost intimate.  The kid, the armor and the swagger.  Mando's got it going on.

It did kind of seem like Ahsoka was flirting with him with saying the kids name in his ear and talking about liking firsts. 

43 minutes ago, taurusrose said:

I love watching Mando's body language during these scenes. He did this thing with his hand, and then turned his head to look at her. Like he was a little uncomfortable, but turned on, and was trying to keep cool. I actually think he did a similar thing with his hand in a scene from season 1 when he was talking to Omera. I really don't think he has much experience with "nice" ladies, so he's still a bit uncomfortable around them.

Also, we know it was Brendan in the suit for the Omera scene, so if it was Pedro in the Ahsoka scene, then he did a great job of studying Mando's movements from season 1.

• Love 2

On 11/29/2020 at 10:32 PM, Macbeth said:

Mando may not be admitting it to himself.  But he is deeply attached to Grogu.

I loved the scene where he was gently rocking his crib.

image.png.aa20e1ade83888193e3f612fed7d7858.png

That was so sweet!  And as I just posted in another thread, he had just told Ahsoka to stay and he would go back to the ship to get Grogu and bring him back to her.  But he instead comes back, rocks the baby, picks up the baby and holds him while he sleeps, then seems to be procrastinating so long around the ship with getting Grogu dressed and ready that Ahsoka has to come looking for them!  

This was a great episode for the further development Din and Grogu’s bond.  Din was pacing nervously in the background while Grogu was “talking” to Ahsoka, which was endearing because I think he was very uncomfortable being out of the loop on Grogu’s mental/emotional state.  He gave that little “pat pat” on Grogu’s back right before the rock/ ball tests started, and then he was just so proud when Grogu pulled the ball, offering all that positive encouragement.  He was also so affronted when Ahsoka said she wouldn’t train Grogu.  I can’t remember if it was here or somewhere else, but I saw a comment saying Din was acting like a parent whose kid was getting rejected from a fancy preschool.  “Why not?  You’ve seen what he can do!”  Just a really cute episode.

• Love 13

I don't know if it was because they were taking so long. Jedi can feel emotions and Ahsoka probably felt the strong emotions from both of them. Or maybe Grogu reached out to her with his mind and was like "please don't take me from him" that's why the first thing she said was you are like a father to him. Then when they left, Grogu looked at her and she nodded, almost like she saying you're welcome. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

I don't know if it was because they were taking so long. Jedi can feel emotions and Ahsoka probably felt the strong emotions from both of them. Or maybe Grogu reached out to her with his mind and was like "please don't take me from him" that's why the first thing she said was you are like a father to him. Then when they left, Grogu looked at her and she nodded, almost like she saying you're welcome. 

Yes, there definitely seemed to an understanding passing between Grogu and Ahsoka at the end there with that smile and nod.  To clarify, I didn’t think Ahsoka would have taken Grogu if Din had actually brought him back to Ahsoka at the walled settlement, just that the quality dad/ son time took long enough that Ahsoka was drawn to the ship to see what was up, and it was an audience indicator that Din was obviously not wanting to let Grogu go.

Also, I just clicked on the first page to get back here and realize that it was you that made the “get into a good preschool” comment that I had referenced above that I couldn’t remember where I had read it (I binged too much series and read too much about it in the past week), so good comment!

37 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

Also, I just clicked on the first page to get back here and realize that it was you that made the “get into a good preschool” comment that I had referenced above that I couldn’t remember where I had read it (I binged too much series and read too much about it in the past week), so good comment!

It felt like that with Mando pacing in the hallway during the interview portion and then being all proud, then slightly outraged when Ahsoka turned them down. Lol

• LOL 3

ADORABLY BABY YODA TIME!

I wonder why the trees have no leaves? I get that the magistrate is not nice but why is the planet itself ugly and grey? In real life atrocities often happen in gorgeous places.

doe a long time I thought one actress was playing both the magistrate and Ashoka. They both had weirdly long faces. Thought they were going to turn out to be sisters...

Grogu (I think the name is cute, party of one) looked SO UPSET AND WORRIED  in the scenes at the end where they spoke about his future. His little forehead creased jp and his eyes got all watery. He was screaming in his mind noooooooo 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, lucindabelle said:

I wonder why the trees have no leaves? I get that the magistrate is not nice but why is the planet itself ugly and grey? In real life atrocities often happen in gorgeous places.

It was supposed to have been destroyed by the magistrate. In the behind the scenes show they said it was inspired by the aftermath of the California wildfires. 

5 hours ago, Dani said:

It was supposed to have been destroyed by the magistrate. In the behind the scenes show they said it was inspired by the aftermath of the California wildfires. 

Ok thanks!

but... why? Will the sky eventually be blue?

I can’t help thinking of Nazi death camps which were in pretty enough places.

On 1/17/2021 at 10:49 AM, lucindabelle said:

Ok thanks!

but... why? Will the sky eventually be blue?

I can’t help thinking of Nazi death camps which were in pretty enough places.

When Din and Ahsoka first decide to team up to fight the magistrate, Ahsoka gives Din some background on her.  Ahsoka says the magistrate was so bitter about the loss of her family, she fueled an industry that built the Imperial Starfleet and that she plundered worlds to implement that goal.  Din looks around and remarks that it seems the magistrate is still at it.

So I got the impression that the magistrate was engaging in some kind of heavy industry or strip mining or other natural resource extraction to supply the war machine of the Empire and its remnants, and the byproduct pollution was toxic to the air and/ or soil of this particular planet, hence all the dead trees and polluted sky.  As for her compound, she possibly could keep the pollution from being dumped where she lived to keep the trees relatively healthy, or she had an air purifier or something.

Unrelated, but as long as I double checked my memory of that scene by quickly pulling up the ep, I liked how quietly amused Ahsoka was by Din.  She didn’t laugh in his face, but when he said “laser swords” instead of “light sabers”, she smiled to herself, just like when he called Grogu using the Force “powers”.  It was cute.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

Unrelated, but as long as I double checked my memory of that scene by quickly pulling up the ep, I liked how quietly amused Ahsoka was by Din.  She didn’t laugh in his face, but when he said “laser swords” instead of “light sabers”, she smiled to herself, just like when he called Grogu using the Force “powers”.  It was cute.

I totally agree! I liked what just those little moments told us about her as a character. There was so much kindness and gentleness in her interactions with Din and with Grogu. I knew nothing about Ahsoka and in very few scenes I came to like her quite a bit.

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, bethy said:

I totally agree! I liked what just those little moments told us about her as a character. There was so much kindness and gentleness in her interactions with Din and with Grogu. I knew nothing about Ahsoka and in very few scenes I came to like her quite a bit.

She's a "nice lady". 😊  I, too, loved the part when she smiled at Din saying "laser swords". My dad actually referred to a light saber as that recently, which I thought was pretty funny.

• Love 4
On 1/19/2021 at 3:42 PM, pezgirl7 said:

She's a "nice lady". 😊  I, too, loved the part when she smiled at Din saying "laser swords". My dad actually referred to a light saber as that recently, which I thought was pretty funny.

That's what I'm going to call them from now on.  I think it's an accurate description, so I'm not wrong. 😉  

• Love 1
On 11/27/2020 at 8:33 AM, paigow said:

Thrawn is the main Imperial villain from Rebels ... last we saw, Ezra was holding him prisoner on a ship that hyper-jumped away from Ahsoka & Sabine.

With *space whales*. Thrawn is the best villain in the canon for me. 

I'm so glad they remembered the white sabers for Ahsoka. I'm kind of annoyed they keep referring to her as a jedi. She's not. 

I wasn't expecting a Thrawn reference. If he's showing up, then look out. 

On 11/27/2020 at 6:45 AM, cambridgeguy said:

So does Luke just have really bad PR?  No consideration of even trying to track him down even though he should be famous?

How would anyone know him though? Everyone saw the Death Star blow up. Luke was on a solo mission basically. They probably assumed Vader and the Emperor died in the explosion. Jedi weren't well known at the time of Yavin or thought to have vanished. 

On 11/27/2020 at 9:03 PM, Sakura12 said:

I wanted Ahsoka to say she wasn't a Jedi.

Me too. I suppose it wasn't intended to be an episode 'featuring' Ahsoka per se, in that they weren't going to get into a hundred episodes of her backstory. 

On 11/28/2020 at 9:32 AM, johntfs said:

At this point Ezra and Thrawn could be working together.

Please yes. 

On 11/28/2020 at 6:26 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

Also the fight at the end had probably my biggest Star Wars pet peeve: when someone who can use the force conveniently forgets they can use it. Instead of Ashoka having a big light sabre vs staff fight, why not use the force to push her in the water or shoot a bunch of rocks at her, or use the Jedi mind trick on her?

I say this all the time too. To be fair, they do use the force in the animated series. But, a non-Force v Force fight - There's no way you need to even draw the sabers. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
On 11/28/2020 at 10:48 AM, driver18 said:

Thrawn is actually from Timothy Zahn's book "Heir to the Empire." It came out in 1992. It was the first novel licensed by LFL before Disney bought it. He was the main villain of Zahn's trilogy. We saw him in other books as well but no one wrote him like Zahn.

Thrawn was so popular that even after Disney bought LFL, he was the one decanonized character that Disney brought back into the fold. 

I was happy with the Thrawn name drop, but I will never forgive them for pissing on the Expanded Universe *cough* Legends.  There are so many better stories out there that would make great movies. 

• Love 1

Love those precise directions “They're on this planet!” It is consistent with (for one) the directions to find Yoda in Empire, but at least Luke could use the Force to guide him in that case.

If I were an evil dictator (who I guess has some Mandalorian or Sith training of her own, given she could hold her own against Ahsoka), I wouldn’t be standing out in the (relative) open while a Jedi cut down my guards. Guess she knows that heroes aren't allowed to kill people who have lines without giving them a chance to surrender first (though extras are fair game).

Grogu? Well I guess it’s no sillier than most Star Wars names.

Thrawn? Now that’s a name I’ve not heard since….

On 11/28/2020 at 2:47 AM, Gummo said:

So Grogu has already had Force training -- for his race, he's still a toddler who can't even talk -- how young do they start!?

We know Yoda considered Anakin "too old" in Phantom Menace and we saw younglings that looked about 5 training with light sabres. Evidently in the old days, they preferred to start Jedi training before potty training!

On 11/27/2020 at 8:59 AM, Jediknight said:

Kyle Reese

I knew the Marshall(?) looked familiar!

On 1/24/2021 at 11:53 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

How would anyone know him though? Everyone saw the Death Star blow up.

He was presented with a medal (along with Han*) in front of a Great Hall full of rebels in A New Hope for blowing up the first Death Star, so he'd be a legend among the rebellion. As for after Jedi, he was seen alive on Endor by the surviving rebels (when he cremated his father). Per the later films, at this point he'd be establishing the New Jedi Order and Ben Skywalker/Kylo Ren was at least a teenager when he turned to the Dark Side, so he wouldn't be in hiding yet.

*  but not Chewie

• Love 2

I haven't watched the animated series, but I liked Ahsoka and her interactions with Grogu and Mando.  I was glad we didn't have an entire episode of Ahsoka and Mando trying to kill each other, and they moved on to more interesting scenes right away.  It was nice seeing Mando learn a bit about Jedi and finding a bit about Grogu's past.  I still want to find out more, though.  This episode also sets up potential for growth on Baby Yoda's side, as he eventually lets go of the fear and is more open to using his powers.

This show has become as much about the bond between Mando and the Child as it is about the title character, so I never expected him to hand over the Child to a Jedi and leave.  It was predictable, but still well done.

Freeing another community is always fun to see.  I'm glad they didn't end the episode with a scene of the big bad looking at the tracker and muahaha-ing.  

I just watched the animated Clone Wars movie, and I might have liked it a bit more because I had seen Ahsoka here first.  I didn't know her training to become a Jedi, so it should be interesting to find out how she ended up where she did by watching the Clone Wars TV series.  Hopefully, they are better than the movie, which was okay but not great.  Ahsoka looks quite similar in live action but the other characters like Obi-Wan, Anakin, etc. don't look like their live action counterparts.  Even Yoda looks more snarly than calm.   Interesting how Ahsoka was taking care of a baby Hutt in that movie, while Mando was taking care of a baby Yoda in this series.

24 minutes ago, Camera One said:

I just watched the animated Clone Wars movie, and I might have liked it a bit more because I had seen Ahsoka here first.  I didn't know her training to become a Jedi, so it should be interesting to find out how she ended up where she did by watching the Clone Wars TV series.  Hopefully, they are better than the movie, which was okay but not great.  Ahsoka looks quite similar in live action but the other characters like Obi-Wan, Anakin, etc. don't look like their live action counterparts.  Even Yoda looks more snarly than calm.   Interesting how Ahsoka was taking care of a baby Hutt in that movie, while Mando was taking care of a baby Yoda in this series.

The Clone Wars gets much better as the series progresses. Ahsoka is loved because of that series and Rebels. We see her grow up from 14 (the Clone Wars movie) until 45 ish when we see her again on the Mandalorian. Her relationship with Anakin gives him more depth too. 

• Love 1