Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: A Pair and a Spare

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

As always, episodes happen in episode time.  Do not post current information from social media in this thread.  Speculation is okay.  Actual later life events are not. 

• Start Topic

Leva hosts a Persian Dinner for the girls, while the boys go out and discover John doesn't honor bro-code. Meanwhile, pigs officially fly when Shep and Taylor double-date with Austen and Madison. And when Kathryn finds out a secret about Thomas, her fantasy of them getting back together crumbles.

Original air date 2020.11.12

It’s never a good sign when the show is over and not a single post.  I am finding this season more interesting than last year.  That was pretty much the worst in my opinion.  Of course I just started watching a Venezuelan true crime series with English subtitles.  I’m getting desperate for good television.

Edited by Emmeline
  • LOL 14
  • Love 3

I will say this-I’d much rather go to a party at Leva’s than Pat’s even though she acts as self-impressed as the rest of the cast but at least she’s more down to earth. Can’t wait to hear whatever shade Madison throws at Pat she started to talk about.  She’s pretty two-faced but I’m ready for Pringle to move in on her and leave that loser Austen in the dust. 
I just don’t like or hate any of them enough to even care that much. Maybe it will get better?

Edited by Kiss my mutt
  • Love 18

Someone slap me, because I’m actually warming to Austen.  I love him coming up with MARI—mysterious alcohol related incident.  Craig gets a lot of those, doesn’t he?  Bless his heart.  

Shep is only 40????  To me, Craig is 38 and Shep is 48, even though they’re much younger than that.  Come to think of it, everyone on this show looks a little...seasoned.  The men and the women.  Madison is 31 now, which means she was like 30 when this filmed?  She looks at least 35.  These people gotta stay out of the sun or something.  

I don’t really get the Charleston architecture on this show.  Everyone’s home looks so average from the outside, but very new and nice on the inside.  Cameran’s home was the only exception, which legit looked like a multi-million dollar property, though I heard somewhere that wasn’t the actual outside of her house.  Oh well, she’s off the show, so I guess it doesn’t matter.  Thomas and Eliza, both of whom I think had properties in Aiken, had great land, but they’re off the show too, so there goes the nice property.  Was I supposed to be impressed by John Pringle’s home or something?  

I’m not entirely sure why I’m supposed to care about John and his mush-mouth, so I’m damned befuddled why I should care about his kids...over FaceTime!  I guess I have to reluctantly accept that he’s a new cast member, but Austen, Naomie and Chelsea were new cast members once upon a time too, and their entrees onto this show felt so much more organic.  John looked positively genetically related to his brother-in-law, which contributes to my theory about their family tree...

Good job Leva, talking with the phone in hand while driving over a bridge in the rain.  She’s another new cast member I don’t entirely get.  I didn’t think her dress code for the party was easy to understand, but I got the distinct impression that anyone who didn’t get it right would have been schooled.  Whoever said in last week’s thread that they’re not here to be schooled by Leva, high five.  Why couldn’t they have casted her pretty sister, Mona, instead?  From the one second we’ve seen her, I like Mona more.  This show could use a medical doctor who is not a dick like Metul.  I don’t find Leva interesting, yet I get the impression she thinks she’s interesting AF.  

Call me old-fashioned, but I liked how the men ordered for the ladies on the Shep-Taylor-Austen-Madison double date.  That’s chivalrous.  Shep telling Taylor “we’re together” as a way to make her his girlfriend is so fucking weird, controlling, chauvinistic and clueless.  Is Shep eight years old?  Why doesn’t he just pull on her pigtails in the schoolyard to tell her he likes her?  All I know about Taylor is that she lied about her profession, and I still think Shep doesn’t deserve her.  

I can’t help it; Kathryn makes me laugh.  I’m not laughing with her as much as I’m laughing at her.  She is just like this giant evil Disney princess who is completely unpredictable and insane, and I look forward to what she’s going to do/say next.  

I know I am beating this to death, but I can’t overstate how odd and uncharming I find John.  When he was trying to pick up those girls, he was speaking down into his beard, like he had just descended into the lowlands from the mountains for the first time in his life.  Shep is a prince compared to him.  Whitney is a Casanova. I couldn’t discern exactly what John was man-mumbling at his sister’s house, but I think he said he doesn’t believe in relationships, he just believes in falling in love and getting a woman pregnant or something.  Splendid.  Dude.  Put a fucking shirt on. 

Kathryn heard that Thomas was seen at an OB-GYN with a girl that is showing!  This is why I love this show!!  The only thing surprising about Thomas having gotten another girl pregnant is that this means that he doesn’t have various and sundry venereal diseases rendering him sterile.  

Kathryn doesn’t have too much to be worried about—if there was enough Ravenel cash to build a freaking bridge, I’m sure there’s enough to support her kids for the next fifteen years or so.  She had to know Thomas was never going to actually marry her.  If he was going to marry her, it would have happened when she got pregnant with Kensie, or it was never going to happen.  Definitely by the time Ashley came around, the Kathryn-Thomas thing was DOA.  And it’s not like Kathryn hasn’t had her share of boyfriends.  Come to think of it, there is something surprising about this, and that is that Kathryn has managed to abstain from procreating with a rando longer than Thomas has.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 20

I was glad to see some Whitney, but: What was wrong with his mouth when he was speaking during the guys’ night out? Suddenly he was mush-mouthed himself, not holding it right, and almost unintelligible. There could have been editing shenanigans and as such far more drinking in between cuts, but it sure looked weird. I had been looking to him to be more of a levelheaded sort with that gang. 

If it weren’t for Craig’s sloppiness and reversion to Defensively Lazy Craig, I’d wholeheartedly love the bromance with Austen. 

I hope Kathryn really didn’t have more than half-fledged hopes about having anywhere near a normal relationship with Thomas. Dude has no reason to change now. He’s got the heir he wanted. 

I agree that I found Mona more likable than her sister, though that may also be because she seemed far quieter at dinner and more observing. 

Shep should have shut down Madison and become a Grey Rock of, “No, thank you, we’ll wait until we’re alone to discuss our relationship.” Madison may have some good reasons to needle Shep, but once again she cares nothing for the innocent woman she’s dragging along with her agenda. I don’t care for Pringle, but suddenly I wish he would make a play for her and string her along, only to dump her ass for the next table of uninterested women. Pity that Austen seems to genuinely care for her, so I guess I won’t wish it too hard. 🙂

• Love 11

Craig’s face is looking very bloated. He needs to lay off the booze for a while. He looks like he aged 10 yrs since last season.  I can’t believe he was lecturing Austen about productivity. He has to be one of the dumbest, laziest people on the planet. I can’t believe he made it through law school. 

I’m getting a super creepy vibe from new guyJohn Whateverthefuck. Shep is still an immature dick.  

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Lassus said:

That restaurant lunch scene was only awkward because it was the absolutely most staged thing I have ever seen.

I mean they're running the same playbook as previous seasons.

- Austen is going to be competing with Pringle or so they make it appear, just like he supposedly competed with Shep for Chelsea.

- Craig starts out each season, with good personal habits and business going really well.  Then as the season goes on, you see he's sleeping in and kind of blowing off doing any work on a given day.  You know, what's her name complained about that a few seasons ago.

- Shep is always going to have this question about whether he will be the eternal bachelor or will commit to a good woman of substance or whatever and right now, he made it official.  Whoop de doo!

- Kathryn may be coming into a good place in her dealings with her baby daddy and then boom!  I guess they caught a great break because Thomas is gonna Thomas.

Leva is for now screen time worthy.  But she said in Persian culture you cook for your friends or guests as a gesture of friendship.  

Oh you mean like every other culture on earth?  Except maybe cannibals, who don't cook for you, because you may be the main fare!

I'm hoping the pandemic and the emoji will bring something different, not necessarily better but different, to the show.  Will they keep going to trendy restaurants and bars to film scenes?  It's such a staple of the show and you don't associate South Carolina with lockdowns so do the cast just Zoom with each other the rest of the season or do the producers try to force them together?

• LOL 9
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, TruffleHog said:

I really wanted to like Leva, but everything she says sounds forced and unnatural.   She is playing a role and badly.

She just seems like a dull person who has been thirsty for screen time while watching this show for six or seven or however many years (not everyone has the immediate DM game of Brittany, apparently) it's been.  Now that she made it, it seems apparent why it took that long. 

Edited by Lassus
  • Love 10
52 minutes ago, DrSparkles said:

Kathryn, re: Pat: “She’s like the puppet master on the *NSYNC album cover. She’s just fucking with us.”

me: 😳😳😳 damn! 💯 

First thing that came to mind: Takes one to know one. Both Kathryn and Madison commented about Pat and both fuck with people.

Edited by nexxie
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6

That was pretty shocking that Thomas’s pregnant partner-ish is SEVEN MONTHS along and he hasn’t told Kathyrn or the kids?!?! What the hell?! Kathyrn is LIVING with him and apparently hooking up and leading her to believe they’re getting back together! I mean, she’s been holding onto this fantasy of them getting married for 7 years, so some of that is her being delusional, but Thomas definitely had a role to play in leading her on, too. I know he’s off of this show for good reason, but I wonder what his justification is for keeping this big secret and hope he gets some more screen time to try to justify himself—but to open himself to further embarrassment and evisceration from the viewing audience. Was he just never going to tell Kinsey and Saint that they have a sibling? Was he hoping to have two families that didn’t know about each other? This is unreal! 

I’m wracking my brain trying to decipher the meaning of the show title: “A pair and a spare.” Is it Thomas’s pair of children and the spare child on the way? Is John the spare to the pair of Madison and Austen? Is it the multiple forms of rice at ladies’ night or the assortment of drinks and shots at boys’ night? At first I thought it was “a square and a spare” and thought it has to do with the onset of lockdown and rationing of toilet paper.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

Danni looked gorgeous at Leva’s party. She needs to replicate whatever she was doing. She has those huge blue eyes, she looked sooo pretty. 

Thomas IS unreal. I’m sure he was whispering to Kathryn in bed, talking about them all living under one roof and how nice it was and maybe they should try to make it permanent. Ugh, he is so toxic. Kathryn has serious issues herself but I can see how she gets sucked in by his charm. Then to find out-BY ACCIDENT-that he knocked someone else up (7 months ago!) while she’s under his roof? Sickening. 

You could see that Shep wanted to be his old rogue self at the bar and take one of the girls home that “Pringle” was hitting on. But, he restrained himself, he’s maturing! 

I HATE that he’s referred to as PRINGLE. His obsession with Madison, very staged. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
5 hours ago, TruffleHog said:

I really wanted to like Leva, but everything she says sounds forced and unnatural.   She is playing a role and badly.

I stopped watching Shahs of Sunset as they only bothered with each other, not many outsiders.  We’ll see how this plays out.  leva was a good friend of Cameron’s?  How come we never saw her before?  leva also married outside her religion .. like MJ.  Does anyone know what’s with Cameron?  She just disappeared without explanation, unless I missed something.  Maybe her husband did have an affair.  Where there’s smoke, there’s fire., so they say.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

I stopped watching Shahs of Sunset as they only bothered with each other, not many outsiders.  We’ll see how this plays out.  leva was a good friend of Cameron’s?  How come we never saw her before?  leva also married outside her religion .. like MJ.  Does anyone know what’s with Cameron?  She just disappeared without explanation, unless I missed something.  Maybe her husband did have an affair.  Where there’s smoke, there’s fire., so they say.

Leva has been on just about every season - not as a main cast member. She was also a bridesmaid in Cameran’s wedding. Cameran responded to Kathryn’s claim via Instagram. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

Kathryn doesn’t have too much to be worried about—if there was enough Ravenel cash to build a freaking bridge, I’m sure there’s enough to support her kids for the next fifteen years or so.  She had to know Thomas was never going to actually marry her.  If he was going to marry her, it would have happened when she got pregnant with Kensie, or it was never going to happen.  Definitely by the time Ashley came around, the Kathryn-Thomas thing was DOA.  And it’s not like Kathryn hasn’t had her share of boyfriends.  Come to think of it, there is something surprising about this, and that is that Kathryn has managed to abstain from procreating with a rando longer than Thomas has.  

Fact check: Ravenel money didn't pay for that bridge, taxpayer dollars did. In fact, Leva's businesses probably pumped more money into the city coffers to support capital costs than anything the Ravenel family ever did. From what I can tell, they haven't had a successful business since their plantation went under.

Kathryn is collecting her $10-$30k per episode, and probably small appearance fees for Kensie and Saint, which will allow her to continue to pretend to be wealthy. She is soon to be living in a house that if it's not paid for free and clear, is probably close to it. Kathyrn isn't as stupid as folks seem to think - which is why she isn't popping out kids right and left. She'll pretend to be a lot of things to keep a storyline going (including being interested in Thomas) but note she hasn't fallen victim of the tax trap that so many HWs have fallen into.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

I agree about the houses. It’s weird some of their houses look so shitty on the outside. Then pretty nice on the inside. Austen’s house looks like a dump on the outside. It’s weird.

Pringle is annoying me already.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Marley said:

I agree about the houses. It’s weird some of their houses look so shitty on the outside. Then pretty nice on the inside. Austen’s house looks like a dump on the outside. It’s weird.

They don’t do it for all of them but they sometimes don’t use the exterior of the home in the establishing shot. I know that was the case with Naomie the last two seasons.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Marley said:

I lived in Miami beach’s art deco district for a while, in the 90s. At the time, they had to conform to some pretty strict rules about the outside of the houses and apartments, including color schemes. I would bet the same is true here, they can do whatever they want inside, but outside has to stay a certain look.

Edited by DrSparkles
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, janiema said:

Why has Pringle moved thousands of miles away from his children?

He needs his "support". My guess is he lost his job as an energy derivatives clerk (which by the way isn't that impressive - he wasn't either a trader, or a banker) and came back east to make some quick easy money.

• Useful 6
  • Love 2

As a dog owner Dani’s muttered “Ergh, goddangit” is as real as this show has ever been.

Especially when coupled with her dog’s smiling “look at me” face.

Edited by bosawks
  • LOL 8
  • Love 7
17 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I’m surprised Thomas doesn’t have a pair and several spares with the way he gets around. 

We know he's not particularly discerning about with whom he shares his DNA, so there could actually be several little potential trust fund brats out there.  Their mamas would have to a) remember his face, and b) get permission from their pimp to go after him.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, 65mickey said:

Kathryn and those black rubbery pants again. They look so uncomfortable.  I Guess she thinks they are slenderizing.

Let's be honest, with or without the black spandex, it is painfully clear that Kathryn does not allow mirrors in her home.

My husband has often remarked about her that when professionally styled, she is a gorgeous woman, but when left to her own devices, she's a real woof.  This from a man who rarely comments in such a manner, and who isn't married to a trophy by any stretch.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

We know he's not particularly discerning about with whom he shares his DNA, so there could actually be several little potential trust fund brats out there.  Their mamas would have to a) remember his face, and b) get permission from their pimp to go after him.

Remember way back in season 1 before T-Rav impregnated Kathyrn, he kept talking about how their hypothetical child would be a “scion” because she’s a descendant of John Calhoun, partnered with his Ravenel genes. He was sizing her up like a breeding mare for his polo horses. He even said she had good birthing hips to deliver their scion! Well, maybe he realized that Kensie and Saint didn’t actually propel him into the echelon of Charleston royalty after all. 

• Love 16
20 minutes ago, bosawks said:

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that “growing up” is code for his wife growing up and leaving Pringle’s drunk Peter Pan ass.

Yeah but did you see his body when he took off his shirt to ride the mechanical bull??? 

Don't hate me for posting that, but a little eye candy was nice, we have all seen the untoned thin Austen, Shep, that other guy, etc...

• Love 16
18 hours ago, DrSparkles said:

I lived in Miami beach’s art deco district for a while, in the 90s. At the time, they had to conform to some pretty strict rules about the outside of the houses and apartments, including color schemes. I would bet the same is true here, they can do whatever they want inside, but outside has to stay a certain look.

Only in the historic district of downtown Charleston, like where Patricia lives. These chucklefucks live on the outskirts, they can do anything they want to on the exterior of their dumps as long as they don't live in a stepford planned HOA community where every new house has to look alike and it appears they don't live in such communities. 

If I was still young and pretty and I was in a bar with the likes of a Shep and a Pringle I would tell them to fuck off and get lost. Pathetic old men! Pringle still looks like an unclean, unshaven drunk and if anybody has no game it's got to be Shep. Those girls at the next table were funny, though.  "What are you talking about"? Exactly. Again, no game. Go home old men. 

Is Whitney still a producer on this show? It's the only reason I can think of that would make him want to appear on this sinking ship, he certainly doesn't bring anything to the show regarding his personal life. So far we just see him sitting at a restaurant or bar with these losers. Something you know he would never do in real life.   

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, JenE4 said:

Remember way back in season 1 before T-Rav impregnated Kathyrn, he kept talking about how their hypothetical child would be a “scion” because she’s a descendant of John Calhoun, partnered with his Ravenel genes. He was sizing her up like a breeding mare for his polo horses. He even said she had good birthing hips to deliver their scion! Well, maybe he realized that Kensie and Saint didn’t actually propel him into the echelon of Charleston royalty after all. 

He's a disgusting human being.  The brief appearance by his father several seasons back showed that he has a classic tree/apple symbiosis with the old man.

• Love 16

Why would a dog park EVER have an accessible muddy creek/pond on the premises?!!!

But, their two dogs swimming together almost made my heart explode!! Cutest thing  ever!!

Pringle blurting out that he has desires for Madison to her serious boyfriend was, odd. Austen seems like a decent guy. Would they ever send some new guy in to move in on Shep’s girlfriend? No way. But it’s okay to do to Austen? Lame. 

Whitney is everything to me when he shakes his head and has his exasperated look. He did it at the bar when Austen said he cried during Pitch Perfect, ha ha. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Sage47 said:

Why would a dog park EVER have an accessible muddy creek/pond on the premises?!!!

But, their two dogs swimming together almost made my heart explode!! Cutest thing  ever!!

That's what I thought too. They should have that area fenced off!
Secondly, what kind of dog park has a bar?!?! 😅

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, ProudMary said:

That's what I thought too. They should have that area fenced off!
Secondly, what kind of dog park has a bar?!?! 😅

There’s a dog park with bar in my city!  But, no muddy pond to ruin your car interior. 👍🏼😅

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 11/13/2020 at 3:21 PM, DrSparkles said:

I live in Miami beach’s art deco district for a while, in the 90s. At the time, they had to conform to some pretty strict rules about the outside of the houses and apartments, including color schemes. I would bet the same is true here, they can do whatever they want inside, but outside has to stay a certain look.

On 11/13/2020 at 9:56 AM, Silver Bells said:

I still watch Shahs... for the food 🤤 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Sage47 said:

Pringle blurting out that he has desires for Madison to her serious boyfriend was, odd. Austen seems like a decent guy. Would they ever send some new guy in to move in on Shep’s girlfriend? No way. But it’s okay to do to Austen? Lame. 

Whitney is everything to me when he shakes his head and has his exasperated look. He did it at the bar when Austen said he cried during Pitch Perfect, ha ha. 

We have dog beaches in Maryland.  No bars in dog parks, though.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Not sold on Leva but her party did look fun and her Mom and sister seemed to be nice people.  No snark from me in wanting to invite people into your home, feed them, make them feel welcome and get to know each other better.  

In all seriousness, is her child's name truly LITTLE?  Please tell me it's just nickname.

I'm sorry, for all it's immaturity and silliness, I could watch that group of old men at the bar and have just that be the entire show.  I looove how the girls all react differently.  Pringle got the stank face, head shaking reaction.  Shep got everyone riled up and raising glasses.  For every chick who wants them to go away, I'm telling you there is the same amount with dollar signs ready to sign on the dotted line.  Then you have the fans like the one little girl who was about to pee her pants to be in the realm of Shep, taking a shot with one hand and taking pictures of him on her phone with the other!

Craig on his hangover:  "Austen nursed me through it".

Whitney to Austen: "Oh, you're lactating?"  And that is why I will never stop loving Whitney!

Pringle is the type who may appear mysterious and charming or witty but then you're disappointed to find out that there's nothing really interesting there.  

I'm fascinated by how Madison has that one side of her mouth that simply does not move.    

Edited by Kiki620
Simple and simply are two different words.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
48 minutes ago, Kiki620 said:

Not sold on Leva but her party did look fun and her Mom and sister seemed to be nice people.  No snark from me in wanting to invite people into your home, feed them, make them feel welcome and get to know each other better.  

In all seriousness, is her child's name truly LITTLE?  Please tell me it's just nickname.

I'm sorry, for all it's immaturity and silliness, I could watch that group of old men at the bar and have just that be the entire show.  I looove how the girls all react differently.  Pringle got the stank face, head shaking reaction.  Shep got everyone riled up and raising glasses.  For every chick who wants them to go away, I'm telling you there is the same amount with dollar signs ready to sign on the dotted line.  Then you have the fans like the one little girl who was about to pee her pants to be in the realm of Shep, taking a shot with one hand and taking pictures of him on her phone with the other!

Whitney to Austen: "Oh, you're lactating?"  And that is why I will never stop loving Whitney!

Pringle is the type who may appear mysterious and charming or witty but then you're disappointed to find out that there's nothing really interesting there.  

I'm fascinated by how Madison has that one side of her mouth that simple does not move.    

I am sooo back and forth with Whitney.  One minute I love his snarky witty comments and then in the next scene I hate his smug, arrogant ass.  I have noticed when he's around his mom he seems to be a little more....bitchy/sassy I guess but when he's around Shep, Craig, and Austen he's not quite so bad. 

Soooo true about Pringle.  I had such high hopes that he would be so much more but he's soooo average.  And at 45 (!!) he just comes across as sad and pathetic at the bars.  Not that older men can't go out and drink the guys but IDK just something so tool-ish about this guy.

I noticed that too about Madison.  Weird.  It almost looks like she had some sort of plastic surgery or too much botox.  If she's not careful she's gonna look like one of the H.W.s soon.

• Love 7
On 11/17/2020 at 12:48 PM, Kiki620 said:

I'm fascinated by how Madison has that one side of her mouth that simply does not move.    

I never caught Leva’s cutie son’s name. LITTLE??! What? No. 

Agree that Pringle is pretty good looking but not very intriguing underneath. I’m just not feeling it. Shep is someone who came on the very first episode with guns blazing and charm just oozing out of him. (Thomas did too.) 

He still has it. That’s why he had a crowd of women circling him at the bar, lol. If he actually ever marries I will be stunned. 

• Love 4