Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: That Hope Is You (1)

• Start Topic

Wow, this show looks expensiiiiive!  So transporters are now small enough to be personal but hand weapons are the size of lanterns?  Cool disintegration effects, though.  Too bad you can't aim with those things judging by how the bad guys couldn't hit our heroes while they were running on a FLAT OPEN PLAIN!

So they're still using dilithium after the Burn?  Hope they found a way to stabilize the stuff.

Nitpicks aside, this show just looks amazing.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, cdnalor said:

Wow, this show looks expensiiiiive!  So transporters are now small enough to be personal but hand weapons are the size of lanterns?  Cool disintegration effects, though.  Too bad you can't aim with those things judging by how the bad guys couldn't hit our heroes while they were running on a FLAT OPEN PLAIN!

Maybe they trained at the Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy. 

3 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

Happy to meet Book and Grudge!

Book is essentially Han Solo, smuggler with a heart of gold, but that's fine. The two make a cute couple. I know some romantic comedies have meet cutes where the characters bump into each other on a sidewalk and end up starting a relationship, but I'm not sure about cars crashing into each other leading to it. 

That's one big kitty. You'd think a thyroid condition would be easily treatable by the 32nd century. There's probably something special about that cat. 

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

That's one big kitty. You'd think a thyroid condition would be easily treatable by the 32nd century. There's probably something special about that cat. 

That isn’t a thyroid condition. it’s a maine c***. 

• Love 15

Because he's smart enough to recognize Felix catus as a superior form of life.

It's been an emotional week, but the stuff with the flag at the end really got to me.  

Best moment was Michael high, particularly with "I have a friend with red hair.  Don't give it to her!" I had a similar thought.

• LOL 2
  • Love 17
5 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Book is essentially Han Solo, smuggler with a heart of gold, but that's fine.

My thoughts exactly, and I wonder if the name is a shout out to Harrison's character John Book from Witness.  I could be way off base on that, but it's what crossed my mind!  

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

It’s almost a given that season premieres for modern serialized shows are largely table setting, but I think this went well.  I’m glad that the guy from the beginning was the same guy we met at the end.  I liked the introduction for Mr. Cleveland Booker - I’m happy he decided not to sell out Michael.

Speaking of- man, they really put her through the wringer here.  I thought it was smart to put Sonequa right out front - this really showed off her range well.  And yes, it was super fun to watch her on the trippy interrogation gas.  Honestly she just felt pleasantly reminiscent of Pine’s Kirk from the first Kelvin film, where she just keeps having to work through successive levels of BS.  Just in general I’m sufficiently hyped for the coming season!

• Love 10

OK Michael needs a steady supply of that stuff, because I can tolerate her when she's not brooding. I don't think I mind her being the saviour of the universe if she's funny doing it.

I wonder if the show will alternate episodes between Michael and Book one week, and the rest of the Discovery crew the next. I hope it's not too long before we see Saru and the team again.

So is the objective of this season to bring the far flung reaches of Starfleet (and by extension the Federation) together again?

• Love 5

Agree that Burnham needs to be on that interrogation gas more often!  Sonequa Martin-Green was having a ball with all of those scenes.

Interesting that Burnham was the only main character here, and the episode was mainly about introducing Booker (oh, and Grudge!) into the fold and doing a lot of table-setting for what is to come.  Booker was decent; even if he was basically a cross between Han Solo and David Ajala's Manchester Black; and I thought he played off Burnham well (even though it is so obvious that he is going to end up being a love interest as well.)

Damn, they were straight up vaporizing all of those Andorians and Orions in all of those shooting sequences, huh?  I wonder if this Treks show has the highest bodycount yet or not (I do know Deep Space Nine and Voyager definitely had some stuff go down as well, so it might be quite the competition!)

Hope we check on the rest of the Discovery crew in the next episode.

• Love 1

I liked the episode but as with all Star Trek, it shall be nitpicked.

Those new phasers are awful. We're pretty close to having guns that can shoot around corners today and these chumps can't hit someone who is right in front of them? If it had a continuous beam setting (like the old phasers have) the bad guys wouldn't have had any trouble.

All the dilithium in the universe exploded except for some which is now a rare commodity despite an explicit mention of re-crystallizing. It also seems as though losing the dilithium causes the ship to explode and I feel like there ought to be some safety that prevents that from happening.

I want to like future Starfleet dude but there were some strange aspects to his scene. His dad was apparently the last Starfleet officer left in the galaxy but for some reason kept following Starfleet's rules about nepotism? He also greeted Burnham and Book with "Welcome to Starfleet!" and a couple of minutes later spills the secret that he's not actually an officer. So he lied to them, right? But Burnham is all "I've known you for all of five minutes and you're the best Starfleet officer ever! Have a commission!" Can she even do that? I realize Starfleet's field commissioning system has always been whimsical and this would be especially true so far in the future but she deputized the guy the same way the team at Hawaii 5-0 used to deputize anyone they needed help from for the case of the week.

The trance worm ate the bad guys but just nibbled on Burnham. I guess it was full.

"Did you think you were going to just walk into our vault and get away with it?" Well, you did leave the goddamn door wide open. Maybe physical barriers are considered old fashioned but damned if they aren't effective.

I have a feeling we will come back to it but why did nobody notice the very Discovery-looking ship debris in the window display in the "Starfleet" office?

Edited by dwmarch
trance worm not trans worm
  • Love 2

So this season Michael Burnham is basically doing a Star Trek version of Dylan Hunt rebuilding the Systems Commonwealth from the TV series 'Andromeda', right ?

Let's see -- major galaxy-spanning organization falls, and the galaxy degrades into chaos.  Check.  Substantial time displacement where lead character does not age. Check.  Lead character meets a local who will assist in rebuilding aforementioned fallen organization. Check.  And finally lead character will rebuild this organization using a spaceship that is technically hundreds of years behind technology-wise (that would be Discovery).  Check. 

Have we seen trans worms ever before in this series ?  I don't recall them.

I thought it was a bit ridiculous when Burnham used the suit to scan for life signs, and when the life signs were found she kind of went overboard celebrating.  Maybe she should have asked the suit to scan for humanoid life forms, because the suit could have just been detecting those insects.

As mentioned above Booker is essentially Han Solo -- smuggler with a heart of gold.  I'm just surprised that his cat isn't named Chewie.

I'll be waiting for the mice from the movie 'Babe' to show up and say "Three weeks later" when the Discovery finally exits the wormhole.  :)

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Starchild said:

So is the objective of this season to bring the far flung reaches of Starfleet (and by extension the Federation) together again?

Also to change history...prevent the Burn

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, dwmarch said:

But Burnham is all "I've known you for all of five minutes and you're the best Starfleet officer ever! Have a commission!" Can she even do that?

No sense promoting yourself to Admiral if there are no junior officers...

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Wow, I'm loving it!  What a great setup for a show.  I will pull out my Ancient Nerd card and say that it reminds me of Star Control 2.  Let's zoom around the galaxy and put the old Federation back together!  A hopeful post-apocalyptic space opera is just the ticket.  And it's pretty much a completely fresh slate since they have left behind all the cruft of the first seasons (slow-talking Klingons, Spock, etc) so I can just pretend Season 2 didn't even exist.  It managed to be, I feel like, both optimistic enough to please TNG people while also not throwing away everything that makes Discovery Discovery...I mean we got at least half an hour of Michael EMOTING ALONE at the beginning.  And then we got Michael high on space drugs and funny, which was both very Disco and very un-Disco at the same time in that it was something that wouldn't happen on 90s Trek but not so self-serious as Disco usually is (when Michael is involved, anyway.  I do remember Stamets and Reno got to be tripping on space drugs last season at some point.)

It does seem like they got a bit of Star Wars in my Star Trek but not in a bad way.  (At least until those fucking droids from the s2 finale and that animated Short Trek show up...I saw them in the credits sequence, blech)  Book is a little too good to be true as a rogue-with-a-heart-of-gold but he is such an extremely handsome fellow that I, like Burnham, was completely distracted while he was shirtless.  And really since it's MICHAEL BURNHAM, THE AXIS UPON WHICH THE UNIVERSE TURNS, she kind of needs a "streetwise and snarky but kind to animals well-connected man with holy/magical powers" if there's any hope of balance in the relationship.  So that's a good romantic lead as far as I'm concerned.  And wannabe-Starfleet guy was adorable.

3 hours ago, dwmarch said:

I liked the episode but as with all Star Trek, it shall be nitpicked.

He also greeted Burnham and Book with "Welcome to Starfleet!" and a couple of minutes later spills the secret that he's not actually an officer. So he lied to them, right?

I wouldn't call that a lie.  It's the Starfleet office.  He just doesn't actually have a commission.

Edited by KimberStormer
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, KimberStormer said:

Book is a little too good to be true as a rogue-with-a-heart-of-gold but he is such an extremely handsome fellow that I, like Burnham, was completely distracted while he was shirtless.  And really since it's MICHAEL BURNHAM, THE AXIS UPON WHICH THE UNIVERSE TURNS, she kind of needs a "streetwise and snarky but kind to animals well-connected man with holy/magical powers" if there's any hope of balance in the relationship.  So that's a good romantic lead as far as I'm concerned.  And wannabe-Starfleet guy was adorable.

I wouldn't call that a lie.  It's the Starfleet office.  He just doesn't actually have a commission.

Agree that this is a good start to the next chapter of Discovery - and that Book is EXTREMELY HANDSOME. The slow burn of romance is already going too fast for me to truly dig that pairing, but they have chances to redeem that.

Speaking of burns....my husband has already predicted that Burnham is responsible for the Burn, and that someone misheard her name, thinking "Michael, burn 'em." 😉 If he's right, we win a prize!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I thought it was a bit ridiculous when Burnham used the suit to scan for life signs, and when the life signs were found she kind of went overboard celebrating.  Maybe she should have asked the suit to scan for humanoid life forms, because the suit could have just been detecting those insects.

If memory serves, Gabrielle told her that Control had wiped out all life throughout the galaxy.  Even if it had only been insects, it meant that she'd been successful in getting the Sphere data to the future.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3

Wow, I did not expect to love it so much. Tripping Burnham is definitely the best Burnham LOL! I did not even miss the rest of the crew which surprised me. Normally when a season starts with this set-up I get bored pretty fast by all the unnecessary angsting. As a viewer you know the hero will find his/her pals again since they're all still listed in the opening credits. But they threw so much distracting stuff at us that there was no time for ennui. What about that cute holo alarm clock or the bed that needs no making and presumably no sheet-changing?

Yes, Book is extremely handsome but damn, it was Grudge who gave me all the feels. Reminded me of my beloved Maine C*** Troll who passed away seven years ago 😪

• Love 5
8 hours ago, dwmarch said:

I want to like future Starfleet dude but there were some strange aspects to his scene.

I thought the scene with him and Burnham was really touching.  When he spoke about hope, I thought he was going to channel Andy from The Shawshank Redemption and say "Hope is a good thing.  Maybe the best of things.  And no good thing ever dies."  🙂  

And Grudge for the win!!   Book & Grudge are a great addition to the show.   David Ajala was on Wil Wheaton's show and said that there are 2 cats playing Grudge.  One is fluffier than the other.  He said that on his first scene with Grudge, he/she scratched the hell out of his uniform and he got a minor scratch, but after that everything was fine!   

• Love 10
8 hours ago, dwmarch said:

Maybe physical barriers are considered old fashioned but damned if they aren't effective.

I have a feeling we will come back to it but why did nobody notice the very Discovery-looking ship debris in the window display in the "Starfleet" office?

The Orions found the TOS blooper reels where Kirk runs into "automatic" doors that fail to open...

Those ships are Burn victims...

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

My first time watching this show live - I only managed to catch up on S1-2 last year, after getting Netflix for the first time. I really enjoyed this episode. It was fun, it had feels, and I felt engaged with all the major players.

Also, this is the second sci fi show in 20 years to have a character named 'Book'. What is it with that name?

11 hours ago, Starchild said:

I wonder if the show will alternate episodes between Michael and Book one week, and the rest of the Discovery crew the next. I hope it's not too long before we see Saru and the team again.

If Discovery arrives in the future next week and gets an episode like this to welcome them, that would be fun.

8 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

So this season Michael Burnham is basically doing a Star Trek version of Dylan Hunt rebuilding the Systems Commonwealth from the TV series 'Andromeda', right ?

Let's see -- major galaxy-spanning organization falls, and the galaxy degrades into chaos.  Check.  Substantial time displacement where lead character does not age. Check.  Lead character meets a local who will assist in rebuilding aforementioned fallen organization. Check.  And finally lead character will rebuild this organization using a spaceship that is technically hundreds of years behind technology-wise (that would be Discovery).  Check. 

I thought that - very Andromeda-esque stuff in this episode!

I thought she was celebrating because where she was, the planet looked completely barren, but life signs meant she stood a chance of finding help and wasn't just stranded there to die.

3 hours ago, starri said:

If memory serves, Gabrielle told her that Control had wiped out all life throughout the galaxy.  Even if it had only been insects, it meant that she'd been successful in getting the Sphere data to the future.

That too - although surely the existence of a spaceship for her to crash into was also evidence of continued life in the future.

Edited by Llywela
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, CarpeFelis said:

There are no “trans worms”. They’re TRANCE worms because they put their intended victims into a trance, hence Book telling Michael to shut her eyes.

Thanks, I thought trans worms sounded weird, like they put [TECH] in the script and forgot to replace it with something appropriately Trek-ish. Trans-dimensional? Trans-phasic? Etc.

• Love 1

I liked it, but there was something that wasn't quite right. When I saw the season preview, I realized what it was. No crew. I'll be glad when we get to see Saru, Stammets, Tilly etc. again.

• Love 1

I don't understand why Burnham would land on a totally desolate planet and after a quick check for something as vague as "life signs" sets her magic suit -  the only piece of advanced technology she has - to self destruct!  What's with that?  Did she promise her mother to do that or something? I don't remember from the last ep. 

After being able to binge the first two seasons in the spring (popped for CBS All Access out of boredom), I was surprised to discover at the end of the episode that the whole season didn't drop all at once.  I have grown disused to watching old-fashioned weekly television. 

I'm not normally a fan of Wil Wheaton, but the after-show was very interesting.  I recommend it. 

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Like 1
On 10/15/2020 at 3:54 PM, DrScottie said:

I know some romantic comedies have meet cutes where the characters bump into each other on a sidewalk and end up starting a relationship, but I'm not sure about cars crashing into each other leading to it. 

Sadly, I can tell you that Ally McBeal hit a guy's car because she thought the guy was cute. 

I want to like future Starfleet dude but there were some strange aspects to his scene. His dad was apparently the last Starfleet officer left in the galaxy but for some reason kept following Starfleet's rules about nepotism? He also greeted Burnham and Book with "Welcome to Starfleet!" and a couple of minutes later spills the secret that he's not actually an officer. So he lied to them, right? But Burnham is all "I've known you for all of five minutes and you're the best Starfleet officer ever! Have a commission!" Can she even do that? I realize Starfleet's field commissioning system has always been whimsical and this would be especially true so far in the future but she deputized the guy the same way the team at Hawaii 5-0 used to deputize anyone they needed help from for the case of the week.

I was surprised when we found out he was an actual person and not a hologram.  It was interesting to know there are at least two Starfleet ships in that sector.  I wonder what they even do now with most of the Federation gone.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I don't understand why Burnham would land on a totally desolate planet and after a quick check for something as vague as "life signs" sets her magic suit -  the only piece of advanced technology she has - to self destruct!  What's with that?  Did she promise her mother to do that or something? I don't remember from the last ep. 

I think, and people correct me if I'm wrong, the wormhole was collapsing and she needed to send it out to send the last signal to Spock so he would know she made it to the future?

Speaking of, I will say I will be disappointed if we never see Michael's mom (her original mom, that is...Michael Burnham is The Orphan With The Most Moms: Gabrielle Burnham, Amanda, Georgiou...) because she was one of the only good things about season 2.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

I will pull out my Ancient Nerd card and say that it reminds me of Star Control 2.

I have one of those Ancient Nerd cards. I remember that game very well. It's time to build the New Alliance of Free Stars (er, the Federation).  In case you weren't aware, there's a free remake of Star Control 2 called the Ur-Quan Masters that will run on modern operating systems using the voice and video from the 3DO version. There's also a recent Star Control: Origins game which is pretty good, but not as good as SC2. 

1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

I will pull out my Ancient Nerd card and say that it reminds me of Star Control 2.

I'll take your word for it. 

• Love 2

Watched the premiere this evening.

The classical music use reminded me slightly of the Brandenburg Concertos.  Nice tie to Voyager looking for life in the universe as it heads further from our solar system.

I also liked that the planet has a city and a civilization. Too often, the planets are remote or ones of First Contact. The marketplace area reminded me slightly of Star Wars.

Book reminds me a bit of Han Solo too, and the cat a Chewie-like sidekick.

Guess the worm had its dinner and didn't want the Burnham dessert. Nice way to meet-cute - meet a man, fight with him, be sucked up in to a worm and then spit out. I would have found a way to wash my outfit.

Liked drugged up Burnham.

1000 years later and Starfleet or any modern version of it does not exist? Why? What happened in all that time? Why the need to have a watcher/waiter in case anyone shows up? Giving some random dude who claims he is some outpost a Starfleet commission?

The Ogopogos in the lake/swamp area were cute.

13 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

1000 years later and Starfleet or any modern version of it does not exist? Why? What happened in all that time? Why the need to have a watcher/waiter in case anyone shows up? Giving some random dude who claims he is some outpost a Starfleet commission?

They told us what happened in that time: The Burn, in which all the dilithium being used in starships across the galaxy all exploded at the same time (for unknown reasons no doubt to be explained later). It happened just over a century ago, according to Book, and the Federation (and Starfleet) still existed until then, but the disaster destroyed the Federation, and Starfleet was the space exploring arm of the Federation, so it would have fallen with the Federation. Book seemed to conflate the two - which, so many years later, is fairly understandable.

With most FTL spacecraft destroyed in one fell swoop and with most FTL transport crippled, the Federation (and Starfleet with it) would have splintered into smaller, more self-contained fragments, and as time passed the memory of the unity all those far-flung worlds once shared would have faded. The planet Michael and Book were on seemed pretty remote, far from what used to be the galactic centres, and that far out the memory of the Federation would have faded faster, as that sector probably wasn't as closely connected to the major powers anyway, so that in this arm of the galaxy, a century later, all that's left is this one broken outpost manned by an ever-dwindling contingent of devoted Federationalists, descendants of the officers stationed there when disaster struck, passing down through the generations their passionate belief in the principles on which the Federation was founded and living with the eternal hope that the Federation will be rebuilt and that support will one day reach them. Not, perhaps, the most practical approach they could have taken, but I can see how they got there.

I doubt Sahil was doing nothing with his time. He seemed businesslike enough when Michael and Book approached him, asked what help he could give them with no sign of surprise about being so approached. The impression he gave was that he and his forebears have dedicated their lives to delivering the kind of service to travellers in this sector that their outpost was designed to deliver, despite being crippled, because that was their duty, dammit. So he has probably spent his life doing what he can to help any passing traveller who needs it. He wasn't just randomly sitting there waiting for Michael to show up. He was manning an outpost to which he and his family have dedicated their lives ever since The Burn, in the hope that somewhere far away in the galactic centre, the major powers of the Federation will manage to put themselves back together and send support to their people who've been stuck out in the trenches of intergalactic service all this time. The arrival of a time traveller from the distant past who also happens to be a genuine commissioned Starfleet officer from the Federation's heyday was just a bonus - totally unexpected, but he'll take what he can get!

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
On 10/16/2020 at 10:10 PM, KimberStormer said:

I think, and people correct me if I'm wrong, the wormhole was collapsing and she needed to send it out to send the last signal to Spock so he would know she made it to the future?

OK, that makes sense.  Thanks.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Llywela said:

I doubt Sahil was doing nothing with his time. He seemed businesslike enough when Michael and Book approached him, asked what help he could give them with no sign of surprise about being so approached.

I think Book also said that couriers sometimes used it was a way station.  

• Love 1

I like the idea of an actual bird as an alarm clock, even if it is a hologram.

I really wanted Burnham to meet up with Craft from the Calypso Short Trek but I guess this guy Book will do. 😉

UO I guess but I'm not sure I liked high on the goofballs Burnham. Seemed a little over-the-top to me. Was that like some space molly?

Wait, is Grudge an actual queen? A tad cliché but I'd be okay with it. She is one beautiful cat.

Yeah, screw being reflexively supportive. (What does that even mean? 🤔)

Oh yes, this guy Book will do just fine. That body. Burnham got herself an eyeful too.👀

Wow, I almost got weepy when Burnham gave Sahil his commission.

So are the producers trying to reclaim the concept of "true believer"? I've generally thought it had a  mostly negative connotation, like zealot.

Looks like it's going to be a fun season. Yay!

• Love 1
On 10/15/2020 at 3:47 PM, Affogato said:

That isn’t a thyroid condition. it’s a maine c***. 

Maybe Grudge is actually a Flerken! 

This is clearly a place setting episode, which introduces the new characters and the new setting, but they did a good job of making it interesting and not boring as we get everyone in their places for the rest of the season. I had my doubts about the premise of the season, mainly because I didn't want the show to turn into a Star Wars clone, but I think this has a lot of potential. I missed the rest of the crew but I think that focusing on Michael was a good idea, especially to introduce Book, who is basically Han Solo meets the Beastmaster, and allowed her to show a lot of different sides to her while she also plays audience surrogate leaning about this new galaxy. I like Book so far, and of course sweet fluffy Grudge is my new favorite character in the show, and he and Michael have pretty good chemistry, which is a good thing as they are clearly going to have a thing going on in the future. I am just going to have to stop thinking of him as space Manchester Black...

I wonder how much of the Federation is still out there, or any of the other Alpha Quadrant civilizations? I cant decide if the Klingons would love this new more lawless word, or if they would find the lack of real organized opponents boring. As much as Klingons love to fight and are generally on the rough and tumble side, their society is very structured when you know the rules, and arent really that into random marauding. 

I wonder if the Burn, which is all being kept super vague, was something that was actually created due to all the time travel shenanigans. Or if Michael and company will go back in time to prevent the Burn, or will just stick to trying to rebuilt the Federation? I prefer they just try to rebuild, as it seems like a more interesting and challenging story that would give this show more of a unique identity from other Trek shows, but I could see them at least considering going back in time. 

The ending was really good, I got some serious feels when they put the flag up for the first time in years.  

• Love 2

Happy for the return but my biggest complaint is the ease with which Burnham slipped into this new time. We're told that 930 years have passed but Burnham is not confused by ANYTHING and in fact identifies things with ease. Given the likely pace of scientific advancement this is, to put it mildly, unlikely. I understand the reasoning behind it but COME ON...

• Love 4

Yeah, Burnham was almost Time Lord levels of unfazed. However you could handwave that a bit by assuming that our current rate in technological progress is not sustainable and it will slow down to a more sedate pace sometime in the future. A Roman from the first century would probably not have too many problems to adapt to life in Rome in the year 1000. The gap was nowhere as wide as it is nowadays compared to just 100 years ago. If you're generous and in the mood you can also use the same argument for the fact that English apparently did not change at all. Or universal translators are still around and working.

Edited by MissLucas
Stannis was coming for me.
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

However you could handwave that a bit by assuming that our current rate in technological progress is not sustainable and it will slow down to a more sedate pace sometime in the future. A Roman from the first century would probably not have too much problems to adapt to life in Rome in the year 1000.

Excellent point. Technological (and social) progress does not proceed at a consistant pace, and can even go backwards.

Also, all civilizations end, if our own world is anything to go by. The Federation is no different.

Edited by marinw
  • Like 1