Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: That Hope Is You (1)

• Start Topic

I don't think Michael was unfazed by the future; I'm sure most of her non-reactions would simply be shellshock.  Let's consider the way her day went after crashing into Book's ship and crash landing on a planet.  By the time she got swallowed and spit out by a trance worm, she probably decided to just go with the flow.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, paigow said:

How is Georgiou supposed to run Section 31? There is no infrastructure and no obvious source of funding.

There has been confusion about that since Georgiou jumped into the future with Discovery - consensus seems to be that the Section 31 show is set back in the past which means Georgiou must eventually time travel back there. But I don't think anyone really knows.

5 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

I don't think Michael was unfazed by the future; I'm sure most of her non-reactions would simply be shellshock.  Let's consider the way her day went after crashing into Book's ship and crash landing on a planet.  By the time she got swallowed and spit out by a trance worm, she probably decided to just go with the flow.

We did see her attempting to identify controls on Book's ship, which is probably what OP was talking about. But technological development does plateau, so it maybe isn't so wildly different from what she's used to that she can't figure it out.

• Love 1
On 10/16/2020 at 1:59 AM, ottoDbusdriver said:

So this season Michael Burnham is basically doing a Star Trek version of Dylan Hunt rebuilding the Systems Commonwealth from the TV series 'Andromeda', right ?

It's worth asking if the Federation as we know should be rebuilt. Some sort of galactic civilization has sprung up after the Burn, and we have as yet only seen a tiny part of it. The Renaissance didn't recreate Greece or Rome, it created soimething new.

Edited by marinw
20 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Yeah, Burnham was almost Time Lord levels of unfazed.

Don't give them any ideas! 😀

19 hours ago, marinw said:

Excellent point. Technological (and social) progress does not proceed at a consistant pace, and can even go backwards.

Also, all civilizations end, if our own world is anything to go by. The Federation is no different.

True but we are applying a micro lens to the issue. In the course of our history there have been civilizations that waned but others were ascendent at the same time. Given the scope of worlds involved I think this aggregate slowing is unlikely and really frustrating

• Love 1
On 10/15/2020 at 6:54 PM, paigow said:

Is Book from Earth? If he is not human, why have a Giant Terran Housecat?? As opposed to Tribbles or other animals... 

Star Trek means Humans (and Cats) have long expanded from Earth.  Even after 900 years of extra shit, it's not like they all headed back to Earth. 

• Love 1
On 10/20/2020 at 11:35 AM, staphdude said:

Don't give them any ideas! 😀

True but we are applying a micro lens to the issue. In the course of our history there have been civilizations that waned but others were ascendent at the same time. Given the scope of worlds involved I think this aggregate slowing is unlikely and really frustrating

But after the burn there will have been a lot leas travel. 

3 hours ago, Kromm said:

Star Trek means Humans (and Cats) have long expanded from Earth.  Even after 900 years of extra shit, it's not like they all headed back to Earth. 

The United Federation of Planets [run by Earth] is dead...The Klingons should have eaten every human by now.....

On 10/23/2020 at 7:34 PM, Affogato said:

But after the burn there will have been a lot leas travel. 

Even if you assume that nothing has advanced since the Burn, or even that things have regressed, Michael should still have hundreds of years of technological advancement to deal with. 

So let me get this straight.  The Federation had more or less collapsed as a political entity because of some external event called “The Burn” regarding dilithium?  You mean to say that the Star Trek franchise didn’t even have the balls to allow the Federation collapse due to flaws from within?   Or this whole season is about "reaffirming" Federation ideals in response to the fans' past complaints about previous ambiguous portrayals of the Federation on this series?  Is this what this reboot is all about?  Making "Star Trek Discovery" more simplified and palatable  for the audiences and critics to swallow, because they could not deal with ambiguity within the Trek franchise, unless its about non-Human characters?

Edited by LJones41

Watched first episode of Discovery. There were more interesting special effects and new setting ls and story that there was in two seasons of The Mandalorian. I have nitpicks but that was way more involving and fun to watch.

On 11/26/2020 at 2:17 AM, Ottis said:

Watched first episode of Discovery. There were more interesting special effects and new setting ls and story that there was in two seasons of The Mandalorian. I have nitpicks but that was way more involving and fun to watch.

If you only just watched the first episode, why are you commenting in a third season thread?

4 hours ago, Llywela said:

If you only just watched the first episode, why are you commenting in a third season thread?

First episode of third season. Given Mandalorian didn’t exist in first season of Discovery, thought context would make that clear. 

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, Ottis said:

First episode of third season. Given Mandalorian didn’t exist in first season of Discovery, thought context would make that clear. 

Okay, it came across as if you were just watching the show for the first time 

Catching up a couple of years late, one of my main reactions was awe at the scenery on the planet where Michael landed. Some of it may have been CGI, but apparently much of it was filmed in Iceland. The spaceship and other internal sets were also cool. And, of course, any show with a cat is worth watching, as long as Grudge is not put in danger.

• Like 3