Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: Taxing Times and Blurry Lines

• Start Topic

Karen invites Gizelle and Ashley to her homecoming in Virginia, but an emotional visit to her childhood farm shows the ladies a different side of the Grande Dame. Robyn’s tax woes go public. Candiace considers legal action against Monique. Meanwhile, Monique seeks guidance from her pastor, but a shocking past revelation brings her to tears.

Airs October 11, 2020.

• Useful 1

Ray doesn’t look like a super old man to me in the face, but the stooped over walk gives it away that he’s in his seventies.  Very interesting that he didn’t want to go to Karen’s home town and left her hanging with a kiss.  The fact that he does it on camera feels passive-aggressive.    

If Gizelle’s theory is correct and Karen chose to bring Gizelle and Ashley to homecoming in Surry to prove to them that she is “somebody,” then lol.  

What the fuck was on Gizelle’s head in Surry?

You could have knocked me over with a feather when Ashley actually left Dean home. 

Candiace needs to decide if her shirt is tucked in or out.  One side tucked and the other side untucked looks ridiculous.  

I never care when reality TV personalities don’t pay income tax, whether it’s on this show or Toya and Oo-gene on Married to Medicine.  It’s a grey area to me whether it’s even moral for the government to put that burden on us in the first place.  But it becomes scandalous when there’s footage of Robyn criticizing Karen for her husband neglecting to do the exact thing Robyn neglected to do.  Also, Candiace, you know that you still repeated what was in the gossip rags even if you say it through clenched teeth, right?

I do believe Candiace, though, that she is trying to change.  I see a completely new person between this season and last season.  

At least Monique admitted that the beat-down of Candiace was a Monique problem and not a Candiace problem.  My question is where has that introspection and honesty gone in the past year?

I’m not even going to speculate as to how long Juan seemed to think he was in the company of a Latvian woman named Tatyana.  

The footage shows that there was ample time between the incident and Candiace’s decision to lawyer up.  So where was Monique and her desire to reconcile with Candiace and to bring the husbands together all that time?  Monique’s time line of events is quite convenient for her.

Such a boring episode.  I don’t even care that much about my own family’s genesis; who is Karen Huger for Bravo to think the audience is deeply invested in hers?  This franchise runs so hot and cold and this week it was freezing.  

I’m not terribly interested in Monique’s Monday morning quarterbacking with her pastor knowing that she ultimately rebukes all responsibility.  I was very disappointed that the pastor provided Monique with a cover story about her childhood and the women in Potomac.  Candiace speaking with her therapist last week felt a lot more genuine.  

• Love 16

Gizelle was so nasty about Karen’s homecoming parade. Completely unnecessary. And why is Gizelle saying that she didn’t realize how much Karen was going through until now? Hello?? She knew Karen lost both of her parents prior to going to Surry. She’s just terrible.

• Love 22

Yep, I think Grizzelle is just a total hypocrite.  If she'd lost HER father and mother (God Forbid) in the SAME YEAR, she'd be in the bed. Down for the count. The girls would be driving HER ass around.  Just so frickin' selfish and short sighted.  If she were my "First Lady" at my church, I'd give her the what-for.  Verbally, of course. Just so rude and transparently self-centered. She cute; but she's a wanker.

• LOL 2
  • Love 14
49 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

That's my animal shelter where I volunteer!

But why is a PG County resident trying to adopt in Arlington County?

I live in Montgomery County and adopted from PG, but, went to Arlington, Baltimore, DC, Alexandria and even Richmond.  In my case, it was because small dogs were hard to find and Montgomery County had a ridiculously hard adoption process.

Edited by Axie
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, Momager said:

Gizelle was so nasty about Karen’s homecoming parade.

She and Ashley both.  I think Gizelle grew up in Washington DC; did they not have homecoming parades? Ashley grew up in a smallish town in Maryland; I KNOW they had to have had a homecoming parade (Ashley's hometown is cute).  Ashley and Gizelle were acting like Surry was in the middle of nowhere; as Ashley noted at the beginning of the episode, Surry was only 2 hours away from where they were.

9 minutes ago, Momager said:

And why is Gizelle saying that she didn’t realize how much Karen was going through until now? Hello?? She knew Karen lost both of her parents prior to going to Surry. She’s just terrible.

Probably because Karen's not going around prostrate on the ground moaning about her parents dying.

Karen has an attractive family.  And I was glad to see black farmers on tv.  It was very interesting to learn Karen's family bought the slave owner's land and are now profitting from it themselves. #blackfarmers

1 hour ago, loveaux said:

What the hell is with Robin and managing money/money problems???

Robyn was trying to be cheap by using Turbo Tax instead of going to a tax accountant and she didn't "forget" the income, she just didn't report it. Since Robyn & Juan know finances helped destroy marriage #1 and Robyn is not good with money, they need to turn over their financial management to a financial manager, accountant and tax attorney in the future if they want marriage #2 not to go down the same road.

1 hour ago, Legalbeagle421 said:

What the hell is Robyn doing? She looks crazy right now.

That was hilarious and the bartender was looking at "Tatiana" like WTF?

Karen cannot really claim to be "neutral" if she suggested to Candiace in any way that Candiace press charges on Monique.

The pastor recapped how it's Monique's nature to fight and it's something she's been doing since she was a young girl and there was something about Candiace that triggers Monique and it's something she needs to figure out to move forward.

2 hours ago, nexxie said:

Somebody needs to tell Candiace - her husband, therapist, Karen maybe - that she should stop getting in people’s faces with her shrieking and hand action. Though Monique is rightfully being held to account for getting physical, Candiace needs to reconsider her behavior (as her therapist seemed to hint). 

She should calm down and find a better way to express herself.  However, in my opinion, a lot of viewers want Candiace to be held to the same degree of accountability that Monique is being held to and they don't share the same degree of culpability.  It's like if I leave my car unlocked and my iPhone 11 on the front seat and you walk by, open the door and take the phone...I share some of the fault because I shouldn't have left the phone in plain sight and the car door unlocked.  But you had no right to touch my car and take my belongings.  So my consequence is you steal my phone and I don't have it anymore, but your consequence is you might catch some jail time and have to repay me for the phone, as well as pay lawyers to get you out of the jam and now have this incident on your record.

Candiace's consequences are she got her ass beat on national television but the viewers want her to share the same consequences (if not more) that Monique is going to get.

• Love 18
5 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

Candiace needs to decide if her shirt is tucked in or out.  One side tucked and the other side untucked looks ridiculous.  

I love the half tuck!!  I also love the French tuck.  I did this look last night!

1 hour ago, drivethroo said:

Robyn was trying to be cheap by using Turbo Tax instead of going to a tax accountant and she didn't "forget" the income, she just didn't report it.

Yeah no one “forgets” income.. How much did she “forget” in order to owe $90,000?

• Love 12

There is something deeply disturbed about Monique, and she still isn't willing to truly take responsibility for her behavior. Monique is never not the victim.  I'm happy to see T'Challa again, and I'm glad that they didn't feature too much Monique this episode.  I'm hoping its a sign that they are phasing her out.

I'm not a fan of Chihuahuas, but I think the dog idea is a good one though not for the reason that Candace thinks.  I think Candace has anxiety issues and she seemed to be soothed by holding the dog, so I feel like it might help her with some issues.  

I appreciated Candace just letting Robyn have the floor to explain her tax issues.  I think it makes sense, and can beliebe Robyn was penny wise and pound foolish.  I suspected the 90k had something to do with that house. 

On a purely physical note, I can never stay mad at Juan Dixon when he smiles.. Yummy!  

Ashley continues to be messy.  I think the reason I like Gizelle but can't stand Ashley is because Gizelle can be shitty, but its very honest.  I don't think there is much Gizelle would say about Karen in her interviews that she wouldn't say to Karen's face.  It makes them well matched.  Ashley, on the other hand, is a snake, and she is always probing to see what she mess she can start or dirt she can get.  Her talking about Karen's marriage was shady and nothing she'd say to Karen's face, but she was hoping to get Gizelle to shit talk Karen's marriage too. She will also be running back to Monique to tell her what Karen said about pressing charges.  

Also - she put a tracker in Michael's butt and it slipped right in?  Girl, no.  She plays both sides of the fence, on one hand she in insistent that Michael never said anything about sucking a dick and HOW DARE YOU!  but on the other hand she wants to make these sly comments suggesting that he is gay.  I do not care for a second that Michael is gay or bit or fluid or whatever he is, but if you're going to say that its some great big disrespect to even say or suggest it, than why are you doing it?

Wendy's sister...I think THATS the "doctor' revered in her culture.  And so much respect surgery is a very male dominated field and so I know she had to work twice as hard and be absolutely perfect.  Anyways, sorry Wendy, but this storyline sounds boring.  You want to be a TV commentator and not a professor and your mom will be disappointed in your career choice....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......call me when you get your mom on a hot mic talking about 7 baby mommas or hits you on the head with a purse.

• LOL 3
  • Love 13
44 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

I love the half tuck!!  I also love the French tuck.  I did this look last night!

Yeah no one “forgets” income.. How much did she “forget” in order to owe $90,000?

I think it had to do with that house if she flipped it.  I would never, in my life, try to do my own taxes if I flipped homes.  She may have written off things she wasn't supposed to and forgot to claim the income properly.  I don't know what other income she would have "forgotten" unless she was paid for something in product and not in money and figured that it wasn't really income or something along those lines. 

I'm thinking of the DSW event.  I am not sure if part of the payment for that event is getting to pick up free shoes or getting some sort of gift card.  I think you'd still have to claim it but maybe she didn't think she had to or didn't really remember it.  If you add up enough of those you could be sitting on a bit of unclaimed money.  I don't know, I'm only spitballing here.  

6 hours ago, Legalbeagle421 said:

What the hell is Robyn doing? She looks crazy right now. Though, I really do think Juan loves her, even though I know a lot of people don't. 😂

I think Juan loves her.  I just don't think he is the gushing type.  And not always the faithful type.  He always seems to be mildly uncomfortable on TV.  

• Love 3

This episode was a total snooze fest, and the commenter above nailed it about how this season is fire and ice... and this ep was freeeeeezing. That being said, Potomac is still -by far- the best of all the housewives franchises in my opinion. 

I’m a little surprised that Dr. Wendy is considering walking away from her job. I’m also a college professor (with four degrees!!!!) and it’s truly the best job ever. You work part-time, 8 months out of the year, and in certain departments make six figures. Plus, most profs get complete autonomy and freedom in their jobs, which is a huge plus. Then again, I don’t know the specifics of her situation, but as a working mom myself (and single mom at that), I couldn’t ask for a better work/life balance. Full time professor roles are also very competitive and hard to get.

• Love 15

I loved Karen going back to her hometown, and loved seeing her family. Remember her sister, Bridget I think, she was hilarious, and I loved seeing those two banter back and forth. I hope she comes back. 

Tatiana was awkward. I cringed the whole time.

I wonder if the network forces them to tweet and give interviews on the episodes in real time as they air, meaning that they couldn't talk about Monique expressing remorse until it aired on TV. Or how they are softening their stance on the incident after it was allowed to air on tV. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, drivethroo said:

Karen has an attractive family.  And I was glad to see black farmers on tv.  It was very interesting to learn Karen's family bought the slave owner's land and are now profitting from it themselves. #blackfarmers

I was glad to see that too.

I think a lot of people see "country" people as being less educated than city people.  That might have been true centuries ago, but today not so much since most people have access to the Internet and cable TV.  I think that's where Gizelle and Ashley's nasty attitude comes from.   

I don't always like Karen but I do have respect for her.

• Love 16
46 minutes ago, LaurelleJ said:

Tatiana was awkward. I cringed the whole time.

They were at Mad Chef, it is in a very nice area of Ellicott City, it is in the Turf Valley Country Club area, the homes on that property are beautiful and $$$$, I could see Juan and Robyn living in that neighborhood, there is a really good private school up the road from there.  

Tatiana, ugh.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, RealReality said:

I think it had to do with that house if she flipped it.  I would never, in my life, try to do my own taxes if I flipped homes.  She may have written off things she wasn't supposed to and forgot to claim the income properly.  I don't know what other income she would have "forgotten" unless she was paid for something in product and not in money and figured that it wasn't really income or something along those lines. 

She didn't pay taxes for several years so it is not related to just the cash flow of flipping the house.

Richard Hatch and The Situation went to prison but they were more egregious than Robyn seems to have been since they both served serious time for tax evasion. 

I doubt whether a bunch of free shoes are a factor either. More likely it is money earned from appearances when the ladies are paid and the organizations send out a 1099.

Without looking at tax returns, it is impossible to know whether she underreported income or took dubious deductions. Even based on her non-explanation, it appears that she failed to report income. 

I don't know how anyone in her situation doesn't have an accountant who is filing the returns. My returns are not nearly as complex but I do have investments and even my relatively simple mutual funds cause my returns to be complicated because of short and long term capital gains from trades within the funds or if I see something - it's $300 well spent to have an expert do - I send my paperwork and receive my tax forms back ready for signature and correct.

Of course Robyn appears to have paid more than $750 per year in Federal taxes 🙂

• LOL 4
  • Love 14
8 hours ago, drivethroo said:

She should calm down and find a better way to express herself.  However, in my opinion, a lot of viewers want Candiace to be held to the same degree of accountability that Monique is being held to and they don't share the same degree of culpability.  It's like if I leave my car unlocked and my iPhone 11 on the front seat and you walk by, open the door and take the phone...I share some of the fault because I shouldn't have left the phone in plain sight and the car door unlocked.  But you had no right to touch my car and take my belongings.  So my consequence is you steal my phone and I don't have it anymore, but your consequence is you might catch some jail time and have to repay me for the phone, as well as pay lawyers to get you out of the jam and now have this incident on your record.

Candiace's consequences are she got her ass beat on national television but the viewers want her to share the same consequences (if not more) that Monique is going to get.

Yes, agreed. The consequences of Candiace's behavior should rightly be a shouting match or maybe she loses friends because she can be verbally nasty.  The consequences should not be "well, she deserves to get beaten up." No. No matter how provoking she was being (and quite honestly? This season she hasn't been that provoking), there is no justification for Monique's behavior. Monique losing control is ON MONIQUE. It's not on Candiace for "making" her be that way - "look what you made me do" is the way that abusers think and so far, that's all we've heard from Monique.

I appreciate Monique's pastor basically telling her that, too. He wasn't letting her off the hook, he was telling her she is being too controlling. I mean, he did it in a pastoral way, which I think is good, but I also think it was important for her to here that this isn't how Candiace "made" her "be outside herself," it is about her own behavior, which she needs to acknowledge and own.  Unfortunately, based on Monique's recent statements and conduct, it doesn't seem like any of that has taken with her. 

• Love 17
15 hours ago, loveaux said:

What the hell is with Robin and managing money/money problems???

I was thinking the same..what's  her issue that she keeps  hiring bad/incapable tax people. Or not seeking out knowledgable advice. First time shame on them...but 2nd time??

Don't they have H&R block,  Jackson Hewitt and that firm that have college kids dressed like the statue of liberty on the corner, in her area?

Edited by sATL
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I think that's where Gizelle and Ashley's nasty attitude comes from.   

Ashley comes from a podunk town in Maryland her own self so she has no room to look down on Karen.  At least Karen's family owns the land and they had nice houses on the land instead of living in trailers and tents.

2 hours ago, LaurelleJ said:

Or how they are softening their stance on the incident after it was allowed to air on tV. 

I don't see any of the cast members who were against the incident softening their stances now.  Wendy, Robyn & Gizelle are all pretty strong in the belief that Monique was wrong to assault Candiace.  Of those 3, Robyn is the only one who is like "show some remorse and we can work together again."  Wendy & Gizelle? No.

7 hours ago, RealReality said:

I'm not a fan of Chihuahuas, but I think the dog idea is a good one though not for the reason that Candace thinks.  I think Candace has anxiety issues and she seemed to be soothed by holding the dog, so I feel like it might help her with some issues.  

The dog seemed very comfortable with Candiace and climbed right up on her lap to cuddle.  Most dogs aren't doing that the first time they meet you.

There is something deeply disturbed about Monique, and she still isn't willing to truly take responsibility for her behavior. Monique is never not the victim.  I'm happy to see T'Challa again, and I'm glad that they didn't feature too much Monique this episode.  I'm hoping its a sign that they are phasing her out.

Usually I roll my eyes when reality show characters visit their pastor (or therapist) for counseling because a lot of times the pastor/therapist gives some bland platitudes and is generally up the character's ass for TV time.  Monique's pastor gave her a gentle read and I think Monique heard it but she doesn't get it.  There are essentially 2 main issues with Monique:

• Monique's materials don't impress people like she thinks they should
  • Monique always wants to take the easy way out and the quick way in

The podcast is the perfect example of this.  Monique did not want to start small and build up. Monique thought she could throw $200,000 in the podcast and it would be a instant success and give her immediate returns.  Monique thought "Well I spent $200K on this podcast, I don't understand why I only sold 20 tickets."  It's because you have to build a loyal listenership before you can start charging for premium subscriptions and live shows.  You don't just come out of the box with a live show without knowing how many of your loyal listeners would pay for a live show.  In Monique's case, it was only 20 people.

Same with her interactions with the women on the show.  Monique thought her saying she had 4 homes, a rich husband, could crash up an expensive car with a shrug, buying an expensive bird and saying "Wifey doesn't work" would impress the Gizelle types.  It doesn't.  Who you are and who you know is more impressive.  She is married to a baller? So were Robyn & Charrisse.  She lives in Potomac? So did Karen & Charrisse. 

Monique thought having a Potomac address would impress those type of women and it really doesn't.  She had a perfectly nice home (that was in Architectural Digest) in Vienna VA but she packed up and moved across state lines to impress people she really doesn't like.  Make that make sense.  Just as the little dog felt comfortable with Candiace and crawled into her lap, people can sense people they feel comfortable around and those people don't feel comfortable with Monique.

It's not even her background because Charrisse has a similar background.  The biggest mistake Monique made was befriending Charrisse for her connections, then dissing her to Charrisse's connections.  Those people don't know Monique but they did know Charrisse and they let her know what her "lil sis" really thought of her.  Monique beat up Candiace instead of Charrisse because even though she doesn't like either one of them, she knows Charrisse has the power to get doors closed to her, which is worth more than Monique's money. 

Monique felt Candiace was expendable & it triggered her that Candiace had the connections for the protections that Monique would never have, no matter how much money she has.

The pastor was trying to get Monique to see Candiace's mouth had nothing to do with why Monique beat up Candiace because physical violence is Monique's chosen way of dealing with things.  It's deeper than what Candiace said, Monique is reacting to who Candiace is.

The person who is actually triggering Monique is Chris Samuels, because he wants her to behave like the Gizelle/Charrisse types but that's not who Monique is.  You cannot marry a dog from the shelter and expect it to act like an AKA purebred pampered show dog.  That's not how it works.  I wouldn't be surprised if Chris Samuels' liking Candiace wasn't behind a lot of the rage Monique feels towards her.

Side Note on Wendy: I cracked up when they were showing scenes of Baltimore, then cut to Wendy.  Wendy lives nowhere near Baltimore.  Wendy lives on the road leading to Baltimore.  Wendy actually lives closer to where Ashley grew up than Baltimore, Potomac, etc.

Edited by drivethroo
  • Useful 3
  • Love 12

This is why you hire an accountant when you have various streams of income or are an independent contractor that doesn't have taxes automatically taken out of your paychecks instead of trying to do the 1040EZ form yourself! Accountants aren't cheap but well worth the money. Didn't Juan think to ask her if she was handling the taxes or suggest they do it the right way? He's just as stupid as she is. 

So happy to see Candiace wanting to adopt a dog then pushing it off to the side so she can cry to momma about how badly she's wronged. Don't adopt a dog, Candiace! They need more love and attention than you would ever be willing to give. 

2 minutes ago, drivethroo said:

The dog seemed very comfortable with Candiace and climbed right up on her lap to cuddle.  Most dogs aren't doing that the first time they meet you.

Then she completely ignored it which the camera person willingly showed us. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, drivethroo said:

Same with her interactions with the women on the show.  Monique thought her saying she had 4 homes, a rich husband, could crash up an expensive car with a shrug, buying an expensive bird and saying "Wifey doesn't work" would impress the Gizelle types.  It doesn't.  Who you are and who you know is more impressive.  She is married to a baller? So were Robyn & Charrisse.  She lives in Potomac? So did Karen & Charrisse. 

I agree, it didn't impress me at all.  Are those 4 homes in HER name?

7 minutes ago, drivethroo said:

The person who is actually triggering Monique is Chris Samuels, because he wants her to behave like the Gizelle/Charrisse types but that's not who Monique is.  You cannot marry a dog from the shelter and expect it to act like an AKA purebred pampered show dog.  That's not how it works.  I wouldn't be surprised if Chris Samuels' liking Candiace wasn't behind a lot of the rage Monique feels towards her.

Interesting point.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Anybody have the Intel on Big Sister Ivy? She is a surgeon of what? 

All of that weave is unnecessary and unflattering. No way that fits under a surgical cap.

Are there only 2 siblings, or does momma Queen status depend upon the majority of children birthed/ daughters only having PhDs/MDs? Are there any brothers? If so, what/how many degrees? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

That's my animal shelter where I volunteer!

I used to volunteer there-but ten years ago-loved seeing it! Small world! I hope Candiace did not get a dog. 

Loved seeing Karen & her family & the farm-particularly that they own it after being descendants of slaves. I thought Gizelle was so  rude about the town. I don’t see anyone begging Gizelle to be the center of a parade. I’m Catholic (ish) so my opinion doesn’t count, but she must be an awful First Lady. 

Where is Ashley from? Google just tells me Maryland. 

We need Monique’s pastor on every week. He spoke the truth. I did laugh when she called them Pastor & First Lady. I feel like that was a dig at Gizelle. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I was glad to see that too.

I think a lot of people see "country" people as being less educated than city people.  That might have been true centuries ago, but today not so much since most people have access to the Internet and cable TV.  I think that's where Gizelle and Ashley's nasty attitude comes from.   

I don't always like Karen but I do have respect for her.

Also many today with working farms do have college degrees- like in agriculture. Farming is a business and requires knowledge in skill in many areas.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, jmcd44 said:

I used to volunteer there-but ten years ago-loved seeing it! Small world! I hope Candiace did not get a dog. 

My advice to candice about a getting a dog is to go a website and read about the dogs' breed characteristics/lifestyle and see if it matches yours. A friend of mine suggested that when I had a "feeling".

As soon as I read my preferred cute little puppy would always have an great appetite, to the point obesity can be an issue; can sometime employ selective hearing; and is so friendly that if an intruder would show kindness, the dog wouldn't do much harm  - I let that idea pass. Real quick.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I am so not interested in watching Robin and Juan role play. I am convinced that Juan is only interested in Robin b/c it's cheaper to be with her.  And she's a fucking idiot when it comes to finances.  

• Love 14
13 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Karen, Karen, Karen girl straddling that fence talking shit to Candace about pressing charges but being sweet to Monique's face ... that's gonna bite you in the ass  .... she is gonna try to drag you next girl ....

I thought that was interesting.  Karen said if it were her she'd seek legal action.  But she was sweet as pie to Monique's face.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, drivethroo said:

Side Note on Wendy: I cracked up when they were showing scenes of Baltimore, then cut to Wendy.  Wendy lives nowhere near Baltimore.  Wendy lives on the road leading to Baltimore.  Wendy actually lives closer to where Ashley grew up than Baltimore, Potomac, etc.

Interesting theory on Chris. I hope it's not true. Although the shelter/purebred comparison is cringeworthy. 

On Wendy, they showed the road to Baltimore because she was speaking at an event in Baltimore. They showed the event sign before they showed her speaking. 

Edited by producerchick
punctuation
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, amarante said:

She didn't pay taxes for several years so it is not related to just the cash flow of flipping the house.

Richard Hatch and The Situation went to prison but they were more egregious than Robyn seems to have been since they both served serious time for tax evasion. 

I doubt whether a bunch of free shoes are a factor either. More likely it is money earned from appearances when the ladies are paid and the organizations send out a 1099.

Without looking at tax returns, it is impossible to know whether she underreported income or took dubious deductions. Even based on her non-explanation, it appears that she failed to report income. 

I don't know how anyone in her situation doesn't have an accountant who is filing the returns. My returns are not nearly as complex but I do have investments and even my relatively simple mutual funds cause my returns to be complicated because of short and long term capital gains from trades within the funds or if I see something - it's $300 well spent to have an expert do - I send my paperwork and receive my tax forms back ready for signature and correct.

Of course Robyn appears to have paid more than $750 per year in Federal taxes 🙂

LOL, it was late last night and I knew that my statement about DSW was going to read like I was a crazy person.  

I was just thinking that part of the problem could be that if you do a bunch of appearances for different venues and part of your payment is in product or gift cards than that "income" could add up.  I doubt it would be responsible for 90k of owed income taxes, only that it might be part of the problem.  Even if they were given a steep discount on a car or something along those lines, I think it might be considered income (the difference between the actual cost and the reduced price they paid).  

I really don't know, I'm mostly spitballing because Robyn is the one person on this show who knows what its like to live poor, she knows she talked a lot of shit about Karen, and she was the one who lost their money last time.  She also generally seems like an honest person, who never tried to hide her RELATIVE poverty.  So, I have a tendency to give her the benefit of the doubt.  So I think she was penny wise and pound foolish.  

I agree with just having an accountant do any taxes that are even kinda complicated.  I think some people get in trouble when they want to use an accountant who is a little too creative.  My sisters ex-boyfriend has a very successful business, but a very shady accountant and I'm sure he had gotten audited, trying to write off Jodeci CD's as business expenses.  And I wonder if that isn't some part of it too, I think she was an independent contractor of some sort when she was doing public relations so there may have been some trouble there.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

This is why you hire an accountant when you have various streams of income or are an independent contractor that doesn't have taxes automatically taken out of your paychecks instead of trying to do the 1040EZ form yourself! Accountants aren't cheap but well worth the money. Didn't Juan think to ask her if she was handling the taxes or suggest they do it the right way? He's just as stupid as she is. 

So happy to see Candiace wanting to adopt a dog then pushing it off to the side so she can cry to momma about how badly she's wronged. Don't adopt a dog, Candiace! They need more love and attention than you would ever be willing to give. 

Then she completely ignored it which the camera person willingly showed us. 

I thought Candace was petting the dog pretty contentedly.  She said she had dogs growing up so she knows that it takes work.  I certainly don't think a dog is a good stand in for a child, but the fact that she thinks it is makes me think that she will be conscientious.  And it doesn't seem like she is getting the dog on a whim. 

There is someone in my life who has a little dog and is very, VERY extra about it.  But, the dog is well cared for.  I suspect that will be Candace, and she will be bringing the dog everywhere. 

LOL, I think Juan felt like Robyn had learned her lesson and had it under control.  I think Robyn is a smart woman but overestimates her ability and can probably step over a dime to get a nickel.  I'd never fuck around with complex tax stuff and hopefully Robyn has learned her lesson.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

Yes, agreed. The consequences of Candiace's behavior should rightly be a shouting match or maybe she loses friends because she can be verbally nasty.  The consequences should not be "well, she deserves to get beaten up." No. No matter how provoking she was being (and quite honestly? This season she hasn't been that provoking), there is no justification for Monique's behavior. Monique losing control is ON MONIQUE. It's not on Candiace for "making" her be that way - "look what you made me do" is the way that abusers think and so far, that's all we've heard from Monique.

This is perfectly said.  When people are like "well Candace was running her mouth!"  Okay, maybe, but the price for verbal annoyance isn't a beating.  And yes, Monique's words evidence an abusers mindset because it always absolves her of any agency (look what you made me do!).  Even the "magic words" mindset absolves her of any agency (well, you told me to drag you, so I HAD to drag you because I have no control over myself).  

I kinda worry for Monique's kids because I think that is a developed mindset and as far as I understand when kids get a little older they can get a little annoying and mouthy.  

• Love 9

Also, is it just me or did Monique's memory just change again.  Now, with her pastor, the last thing she remembered was Candace in her face.  A couple of days ago, the last thing she remembered was Candace throwing wine at her.  Give it a couple of weeks and the last thing Monique will remember is getting in her car to drive to the winery.  

• LOL 6
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Bronzedog said:

I’m pretty sure Candyass wants a purse dog she can carry around and look at her adoringly.  When she feels like it.  There’s a whole lot more than that involved in owning a dog, Candyass.

After the fight - maybe she should consider another breed. One that would take exception if Monique shows up  with T'challa on her shoulder.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, RealReality said:

Also, is it just me or did Monique's memory just change again.  Now, with her pastor, the last thing she remembered was Candace in her face.  A couple of days ago, the last thing she remembered was Candace throwing wine at her.  Give it a couple of weeks and the last thing Monique will remember is getting in her car to drive to the winery.  

Or waking up in a ditch from drunk driv..... I mean from "tired" driving

• LOL 10
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, RealReality said:

Monique knows exactly what she did, when she did it because she was telling all of it, play by play, in the car on the way home from the winery.

Monique jumped on social media 2 days after the fight to taunt Candiace with "Ask and You Shall Recieve."

Almost immediately after the fight there was a play by play account of the fight on social media, heavily slanted towards Monique.  If it wasn't Monique who ran to the blogs, then it was Karen or Ashley.  I doubt it was either one of them.  But we do know Monique's been running her mouth to the blogs because she's still doing it. 

Even after the talk with the pastor, Monique was still blaring to the blogs (and eventually Montgomery County MD) about how Candiace attacked her.  The pastor's talk didn't get through to her at all.

56 minutes ago, RealReality said:

I really don't know, I'm mostly spitballing because Robyn is the one person on this show who knows what its like to live poor,

I disagree, because even though they lost their nice house and all their money, they weren't in a tent or a trailer.  They just moved to a rental townhouse near Baltimore.  Lights were never in danger of getting cut off and they were never in danger of starvation; Robyn's parents never would've allowed that to happen.

The 2 cast members who know what it's like to live poor are Ashley and Monique and those are the two who are constantly in "survival mode."

• Love 10
13 minutes ago, sATL said:

After the fight - maybe she should consider another breed. One that would take exception if Monique shows up  with T'challa on her shoulder.

Are there dog breeds that can fly? Because I don’t see how that would be effective. Not that I support species on species violence anymore than I support violence amongst humans. 

• LOL 4
1 minute ago, biakbiak said:

Are there dog breeds that can fly? Because I don’t see how that would be effective. Not that I support species on species violence anymore than I support violence amongst humans. 

Barking. Growling. A bird should fly away , at a commotion, right? Just its presence..

The best part of this otherwise busted episode was during the role play from hell when Robin picked lint off of Juan's mustache and Juan asked what it was. My husband deadpanned "His girlfriend's pubs." I almost fell off of the couch laughing.

• LOL 22
1 hour ago, RealReality said:

There is someone in my life who has a little dog and is very, VERY extra about it.  But, the dog is well cared for.  I suspect that will be Candace, and she will be bringing the dog everywhere. 

I'm good with that.  I can focus on the dog instead of Baby Dean.  Win for baby lovers, win for dog lovers!

44 minutes ago, sATL said:

Barking. Growling. A bird should fly away , at a commotion, right? Just its presence..

Depends on the bird and their attitude. We had a bird that would land on the back of Beardog's head and start pecking away at him.  100 pound dog and he was scared of a parrot.  

• Love 4

I have not been a fan of Candiace but I think she is significantly different than she was in prior seasons.

There are other housewives who have - for whatever reason - seemed to grow and based on her behavior this season, she did nothing to merit any kind of punishment - let alone being physically pummeled.

If anyone could have told me that the Porsha Williams I viewed on the first season of Atlanta became someone who her grandfather would have been incredibly proud of for her heroic actions during the BLM protests I would have thought that person was insane. 

There is no way that anyone could objectively have watched Candiace's behavior - including actual apologies to Monique and thought she merited being beat up by Monique based on the interaction in the winery. I have to give credit to Candiace because they were genuine apologies - none of those sorry that I made you *feel* that way as if the behavior was acceptable and it is the fault of the other person to be such an emotional wimp as to be hurt.

They didn't show her Ashley interaction but again it was - at least to me - the actions of a woman who has shown emotional growth from the last seasons. She didn't escalate the tensions - she left without making her exit part of the drama and she was willing to honestly discuss issues with Ashley on the bench.

I have never been in any kind of physical altercation nor have any of my friends nor have I actually ever seen women fighting except on television. I am not a super fan of Wendy but I absolutely agree that black women really have to fight against racist preconceptions that they are angry and ready to brawl. I read some of the *critiques* of Kamala's debate performance and I think she faced obstacles in terms of being seen as "angry" that a white man wouldn't. Hillary had the same kind of fine line but Kamala had an even harder tightrope to walk in terms of being effective/assertive and not playing into racial stereotypes. 

I don't quite understand how the Jamal has a reputation left to uphold but he seems to still have some kind of large congregation so I somewhat understand why Gizelle could differentiate that as opposed to being associated with brawling wig snatching behavior. 

And I absolutely agree with all the posters who have written that Monique's anger is actually because of her situation with her husband but is misdirected at Candiace. I am not really an expert on the marriages and divorces of pro athletes but I would assume that their jobs as trophy wives is not a sure thing and an enormous imbalance of power exists,.

• Love 11