Type keyword(s) to search

Season 37 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

3/5 I knew it was Some Like It Hot from the get go but I had to go through some mental gymnastics to get all the things that popped into my head to clear to get to Billy Wilder.  🙂  But I did!  And in time... well.. I don't know if I would have written it in time but I shouted it out in time so I'm counting it.  🙂

• Love 4

21 DEC    [totally blanked]    0/1
22 DEC    Henry Kissinger    1/2
23 DEC    Cesarean        1/3
24 DEC    [totally blanked]    1/4
25 DEC    Billy Wilder        2/5

meh.

And I didn't even get to see Friday's game because of the NBA pre-show, one of the rare times WABC has preempted J!.

• Love 1

4/5. I learned there was a real person named Lamaze. Hope everyone is having a good Monday after, I hope, a long holiday weekend.

3 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Christmas is over.

But Winter IS Coming!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Once again I have the honor of presenting the Winners of Week 15. Yes, plural winners once again. This week we shine the spotlight on the two, two, two high scorers for the week, @M. Darcy and @PBnJay, both topped the score sheet with a 4. I know, I know, it's not a 5, but like Billy Wilder said, "Nobody is perfect." And these two were as close to perfect as possible in that tough week.

Congratulations you two. Enjoy your notoriety and don't let it go to your heads. Well, that's okay if it does, at least a little bit.

Happy Early New Year to all FJ Contest players. Take it easy and live to score big in the New Year.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Once again I have the honor of presenting the Winners of Week 15. Yes, plural winners once again. This week we shine the spotlight on the two, two, two high scorers for the week, @M. Darcy and @PBnJay, both topped the score sheet with a 4. I know, I know, it's not a 5, but like Billy Wilder said, "Nobody is perfect." And these two were as close to perfect as possible in that tough week.

Congratulations you two. Enjoy your notoriety and don't let it go to your heads. Well, that's okay if it does, at least a little bit.

Happy Early New Year to all FJ Contest players. Take it easy and live to score big in the New Year.

Woo hoo!! For once the Weird Al song isn’t about me. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, saber5055 said:

This week we shine the spotlight on the two, two, two high scorers for the week, @M. Darcy and @PBnJay,

Oh gosh, this is the best Christmas present ever! And to share it with a real-life Jeopardy contestant makes it an even higher honor. I owe it all to my brain that collects odd bits of information that I can access at the most opportune times. Thank you thank you thank you! 

• Love 6

WEEK 16 • Dec. 28, 2020 — ONE asterisk *
76. (Season 26, Game 51 — Nov. 23, 2009) Odd Titles. Gilbert & Sullivan’s “Mikado”, not Milne, gave us this hyphenated title for a pompous functionary.
77. (Season 26, Game 65 — Dec. 9, 2009) Historic Americans. His collection of books suffered disastrous fires at the home called Shadwell in 1770 & at the Library of Congress in 1851.
78. (Season 28, Game 38 — Nov. 9, 2011) French History. She said, “I told my plans to no one. I was not killing a man, but a wild beast that was devouring the French people.”
79. (Season 28, Game 41 — Nov. 14, 2011) The Presidential Cabinet. 7 women have been the Secretary of this, the most for any department in the President’s Cabinet.
* 80. (Season 33, Game 106 — Feb. 6, 2017) Mythological Names. With depths of up to 30,000′, ocean trenches make up a zone named for this brother of Poseidon & his domain. *

2/5, no *

10 hours ago, secnarf said:

0/5. A bit embarrassing considering they were all repeats!!

Even if they were repeats they were from a long time ago, relatively speaking.  I can seldom remember the FJ of the night before.

• Love 4

3/5 with 1 * I only got as close as "um something that happend during the french revolution on that question and thought State for Thursday.  I mean I knew in my head that seven seemed like a lot but it feels to me we've had a lot of female secretaries of state in recent years.  My issue is I don't know how many secretaries of labor I can name.  Sigh.   Poohbah was an instant get for me (as were the other two I got right)  but I don't think it is a hyphenated word so I was a little second guessing myself.. but I mean it fit both clues as being from the Mikado and people thinking maybe it came from a certain famous bear. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Looks like those of us 1/5ers have enough for a full on party! 🎆

Just remember my reserved seat is the one at the head of the table. It's almost ready to be reupholstered from over use.

• LOL 5

3/5 with *

Friday was 100% a lucky guess. I guessed Education for Thursday, and jokingly said Madame DeFarge for Wednesday. 

But I got FJ on the J! calendar miniTootbrush #1 gave me for Christmas. Opera no less!! 

• Love 6

4/5 - no *.  i was trying too hard on Friday to think of obscure names and totally overlooked Hades.

Happy New Year to all!  I started mine by hibernating and trying some new recipes, including the William and Mary sauce.  I am having my first sandwich with it tomorrow for lunch.  It tastes quite good but not exactly Cheese Shop - probably due to the steak sauce and mustard used.  My choices were somewhat limited last week due to holiday depletion of shelves, me trying to avoid big stores and what seemed to be a shopping frenzy in case weekend weather predictions were accurate.

Edited by Grundoon59
One handed typing snafu
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, theartandsound said:

28 DEC    [totally blanked]    0/1
29 DEC    Thomas Jefferson    1/2
30 DEC    “she offed Marat”    1/3
31 DEC    Education        1/4
01 JAN    [totally blanked]    1/5

1/5. No comment. 🤕

Come join our party. 🙂

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Saber -- just in case you calculate average scores, how did we do in the past two weeks (rerun episodes) compared to normal weeks?  It looks to me as if we did not score higher on the reruns.  (I did not remember any of these episodes, and maybe others did not either.)  Just curious.  adTHANKSvance!

47 minutes ago, Driad said:

adTHANKSvance!

Ha ha!

I was tempted to post that these two weeks of old reruns were more difficult, so thanks for asking @Driad. The last week of regular play, average score for FJ players was 4.08. First rerun week, average score was 2.31. That went down to 2.18  for the second rerun week. It must have been the Christmas cookie sugar overload. Yeah, that's the ticket ... No more egg nog you guys!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

It's time to award Winner of Week 16, that very special honor that goes to just one player this week. One very special player who dares to be different, the only player who achieved this score. Today the spotlight is shining full blast on Champion @secnarf, long-time player, first-time winner. This season anyway. I'm so happy to give secnarf the center of the spotlight, I even created a special medallion, just for secnarf. Congratulations, and long may you reign. Well, for the next week anyway.

greatjob.jpg.da2ac2b30faf058874f2eda4318fce81.jpg

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

It's time to award Winner of Week 16, that very special honor that goes to just one player this week. One very special player who dares to be different, the only player who achieved this score. Today the spotlight is shining full blast on Champion @secnarf, long-time player, first-time winner. This season anyway. I'm so happy to give secnarf the center of the spotlight, I even created a special medallion, just for secnarf. Congratulations, and long may you reign. Well, for the next week anyway.

greatjob.jpg.da2ac2b30faf058874f2eda4318fce81.jpg

Thank you!!!!! I am honoured. Lovely medallion, and a fitting end to 2020!

And congratulations/thank you to everyone else for not also achieving this score 😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Oops didn’t realize that we were doing the repeats this time around: 

Week 15:4/5 

Week 16: 4/5

Week 17: 4/5 not sure about the * because I forget to write those down. Will edit once they are posted.

• Love 1