Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: Sticks And Stones

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, MrBuhBye said:

Maybe he should just buy a wig.

Don’t they make dreadlocks that attach to your own hair like extensions? I thought real dreadlocks take YEARS to grow and I don’t think someone would just cut them off after going to all that trouble. 

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, magemaud said:

There’s still one more episode before the mid season finale (whatever the he’ll that is!) then there will be a few weeks hiatus before they move to a Sunday timeslot. My question is, have they said what is going to be on Monday nights in its place after this week? Usually by now are inundated with commercials about new shows premiering about things like huge families, Little People, 600 pound people, or horrendous skin or foot conditions. 

Someone said there is another season of The Family Chantal in the can.  

Edited by MrBuhBye
22 hours ago, John M said:

There is nothing wrong with being a prissy gay man, frankly we would be a lot better off with more "prissy" men than the toxic masculinity bullshit that we are dealing with now.

AMEN.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Someone said there is another season of The Family Chantal in the can.  

Oh lord, no, please! “The can” is the right place for that crap. Keep it there! 

Edited by magemaud
  • LOL 4
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, magemaud said:

Don’t they make dreadlocks that attach to your own hair like extensions? I thought real dreadlocks take YEARS to grow and I don’t think someone would just cut them off after going to all that trouble. 

How did she not know that he had cut them off? Surely they’ve heard of a thing called FaceTime. I smell producer interference.

Also, I just remembered that Areola was married for what, 10 years? Allegedly. What the hell?

• Love 5

He looks like a completely different person without the dreads and muscles.

I don't mind Bini Baby. He actually seems like a nice guy, if not a little"simple." But damn, Ari, you feel like you don't know him because you DON'T.

• Love 11

The minute Areola pops the baby out, Janice will be implanting birth control (Norplant, lasts five years) under her daughter’s skin. 

I continue to believe that Janice is enraged by Areola’s poor judgment but has resigned herself to it.

Edited by Auntie Anxiety
  • Love 7

What a cry baby is Ari the little princess!  She longs to be back in mom and dad's home propped up on 1000000 count sheets awaiting an epidural!

She made her bed but thanks to enabling momma she'll never have to sleep in it!

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 8/25/2020 at 9:40 PM, John M said:

There is nothing wrong with being a prissy gay man, frankly we would be a lot better off with more "prissy" men than the toxic masculinity bullshit that we are dealing with now.

I agree!!!  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 8/25/2020 at 7:40 PM, John M said:

Nothing toxic about masculinity.  Just like there is nothing toxic about femininity.  I don't call femininity toxic because there are radical feminists out there.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

When I lived in DC 30 years ago the female panda kept miscarrying because she was using carrots to pleasure herself.  Ah nature.

That was the old, useless Panda. Mei Xiang is a panda baby superstar. This is live baby number four.🐼🥰

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Dobian said:

Nothing toxic about masculinity.  Just like there is nothing toxic about femininity.  I don't call femininity toxic because there are radical feminists out there.

"Masculinity" and "toxic masculinity" are not the same thing. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Jennifersdc said:

That was the old, useless Panda. Mei Xiang is a panda baby superstar. This is live baby number four.🐼🥰

Hey now, don't call her old and useless. She's the smartest - maybe that Panda had the insight to realize she didn't want babies and/or wasn't ready to have them (and if she was artificially inseminated, maybe she didn't want to have a baby with someone she didn't know).

Something the 90 Dayers have yet to figure out!

• LOL 10
  • Love 8
On 8/26/2020 at 2:20 PM, magemaud said:

In Mother Jihoon's defense, the convoluted way Deaven asked the question about MIL's expectations and the translation of her answer on the device were totally different. Mother J told her the expectation was for Deaven to "just say hello and thank you" (I think meaning to the party guests) but the translation said Mother J didn't "expect much" and "not to talk" and Deaven took offense at that and she was being told to shut up. 

That stupid device has to be the worst translator ever created.

23 hours ago, suzywallis said:

YES!  Preach it!  They keep choosing people with no sense!

Where are they finding these people?

• Love 2
On 8/25/2020 at 3:19 AM, endure said:

Does Brittany ever wipe that grin off her face?

She really should because it reveals that missing tooth.  Braced up to her eyebrows, but a missing tooth.  You tell me.

When I was a kid, I used to create fake braces out of rubber bands and the foil from chewing gum wrappers.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
On 8/25/2020 at 4:09 PM, Quof said:

But did you see any food?   One of the Pillow Talk crew commented that no one had so much as an appetizer.

Well, you know they had matchstick carrots.

A lot of people beat me to the carrots, but there is something else I wanted to say anyway:

What's up with Melyza's face?  She's absolutely beautiful but she has a stone face to rival Buster Keaton's.  Did she have Botox all over it?  Doesn't anybody else find it odd that she is 98% of the time expressionless?

And Kenny.  He and Armando were such favorites but Kenny has revealed himself to be too picky and germaphobic to live anywhere outside a NASA Clean Room.  I think, though, as I do about many of these couples, that Kenny's ickiness is being suggested by TLC, and Armando doesn't know about it.  God knows they need *something* to spice up this nice, loving couple everyone was rooting for, whose only real obstacle to happiness was the disapproval of Armando's father.  Where's the fun in that?  Neither of them has a Secret that will Destroy our Relationship, even.  Or is secretly already married to somebody else.

Edited by Mothra
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, Dahlia said:

Well with all the unplanned babies in this franchise at least prissy gay men don’t typically reproduce. So there’s that.

This one did several times 🤗

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Let's get Ash to explain the difference!!  (Kidding!!!)

Oh, Ash...He and David could've really changed opinions about themselves if they'd taken up snark on the Strikes Back show. Alas, he's managed to make himself look even more Ashole-y. 

Does this season seem to be dragging? I feel like nothing has happened. 

• Love 3

I just started watching this show a little while ago, so I don't know all the players and storylines.  But I have to say I think Deavan and Ari thought that the simple fact that they were White women moving to non-White countries would be enough to make them royalty and be treated as such.  I think both women are surprised that the people of South Korea and Ethiopia need someone to be more than just a White girl to be impressed.  Without a red carpet being constantly rolled out for them, they are realizing that they're going to have to live like the 'locals' and that doesn't sit too well with them.  As for Brittany, I think she thought that being American was enough.

When I first started watching, I despised Jihoon.  I never liked Deavan (and that child!) but I could barely stand to watch Jihoon.   I'm actually starting to feel a bit of sympathy for Jihoon which just shows how horrible Deavan, her mother and her daughter are.  Jihoon is who he is.  Weak, spoiled and in way over his head.  Did he ever pretend to be anything else?  I didn't like his mother but now I realize she's the only one who knows what's up.  She realizes it's a shitshow and she's just counting the days when she gets to drive Deavan and Druscilla to the airport for the last time.  And Daddy Jihoon just keeps his mouth shut and hangs on to his beautiful grandbaby.

Like Kenny, I remember the plague years and I can't believe that these people are having unprotected sex with men they barely know.  Did I just miss the newsflash about HIV (not to mention other STDs) disappearing?  Using a child as a way to hang on to someone is the lowest thing a person can do.  If the man/woman doesn't want you for YOU, a child isn't going to make a difference.  It just means that there will be three miserable people, instead of two.

As far as I'm concerned, I hope Ari DOES have her baby in Ethiopia.  It would serve her right for choosing a man based on muscles and dreadlocks.  She had a meltdown the second she was left alone with Bini.  The only people I feel an ounce of pity for are the poor children being brought into such horrible situations.

And don't get me started on Jenny and Summit!

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Useful 1
  • Love 18
On 8/26/2020 at 4:08 PM, Hotel Snarker said:

Kenny and Armando: I actually don’t blame Armando. He is very afraid of public reactions to their relationship and their safety. Kenny needs to stop with wanting PDA. They are not in America. 

But also I wish they would stop acting like it is a weird Mexico specific thing. I live in a very large progressive city and I'm afraid of PDAs with my husband outside the main drag of the gayborhood. Not that long ago I had someone throw a drink at me from a passing car and scream the f-word on said street. Also it is an easily avoidable street covered in rainbow flags and gay oriented businesses, so they pretty much went out of their way to attempt to assault a gay dude from a passing car and yell a slur at them.

Again, Mexico City has a huge gay village, Porta Vallatra is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world for the gay community, I know plenty of openly gay latino men from "traditional" hispanic families that have completely embraced and support their gay children, even if it took them a bit to get there. It kinds of just sucks to be gay anywhere and Armando's parents are being kind of shitty, hopefully they will come around, lots, not all, but lots of parents that were initially hostile towards their children's sexuality come around and turn out to be huge allies.

• Useful 2
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

Jihoon is who he is.  Weak, spoiled and in way over his head.  Did he ever pretend to be anything else? 

Welcome, @mightysparrow. This show is addictive, so don’t say you weren’t warned! 

I highlighted the above, because even though Jihoon was in way over his head from the jump, he kept promising to do better and be better. But when left to his own devices, he didn’t give those promises a second thought. So, yeah, he misrepresented himself time and again.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Mothra said:

She really should because it reveals that missing tooth.  Braced up to her eyebrows, but a missing tooth.  You tell me.

Sometimes when your teeth are too crowded in your mouth, they remove some to make room. I had four perfectly healthy bicuspids extracted 50 years ago when I had braces so my teeth fit my "dental arch" better. Maybe that's the last space that Brittany has to get closed up before she can get her braces off. 

I was telling my Korean manicurist today about Taeyang's 100 Day Celebration and she was saying what a big event that is in their culture. I read some more about the party, called a baek-il: "It is not until baek-il that the baby was introduced to neighbors, friends and relatives. One of the baek-il's special events is the parents providing rice cakes, called baekseolgi, to at least 100 people. They believe this event helps to protect the child's life. They also pray for the child's continued good health." Traditional gifts for this are money or gold jewelry like Taeyang's little bracelet. 

Then she was telling me about the first birthday celebration where they put a number of items on a tray (like money, a pen, a gavel, a stethoscope, microphone, etc.) and put it in front of the baby and what the baby reaches for will foretell its future. She said both of her daughters selected a spool of thread which symbolizes "long life." 

Edited by magemaud
  • Useful 12
  • Love 6
51 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Welcome, @mightysparrow. This show is addictive, so don’t say you weren’t warned! 

I highlighted the above, because even though Jihoon was in way over his head from the jump, he kept promising to do better and be better. But when left to his own devices, he didn’t give those promises a second thought. So, yeah, he misrepresented himself time and again.

This is all based on inference but I think it's probable jihoon misrepresented himself from the jump.  

When we first met jihoon he said he had some job fixing or reselling cell phones.  

Based on what I know, cell phone repair is a hopping business and it sounds like a good job to me.  

He had enough disposable income to buy a plane ticket. 

Jihoon has a history of lying, particularly  about his jobs and his financial situation.  

Put that together with the crappy translator app and he could have convinced Devan that he had a great job and made a good income.  

It's all conjecture but I think jihoon has a history of lying so I don't see why he wouldn't have lied to get some sex. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
31 minutes ago, RealReality said:

This is all based on inference but I think it's probable jihoon misrepresented himself from the jump.  

When we first met jihoon he said he had some job fixing or reselling cell phones.  

Based on what I know, cell phone repair is a hopping business and it sounds like a good job to me.  

He had enough disposable income to buy a plane ticket. 

Jihoon has a history of lying, particularly  about his jobs and his financial situation.  

Put that together with the crappy translator app and he could have convinced Devan that he had a great job and made a good income.  

It's all conjecture but I think jihoon has a history of lying so I don't see why he wouldn't have lied to get some sex. 

I have a feeling we have seen Deavan’s O face.  

• LOL 3
18 hours ago, spunky said:

That stupid device has to be the worst translator ever created.

I would find using that thing at a neighborhood BBQ exhausting enough with a guest visiting from another non English speaking country, let alone my spouse and in laws.

• Love 2
On 8/25/2020 at 10:47 AM, poeticlicensed said:

Unpopular opinion, but Armando and Kenny grate on my last nerve. Their angsty responses to every situation give me major eyerolls. 

Save a seat for me on that bus.  I think Kenny is being way to pushy with Armando to come out to everyone, everywhere including his parents who he just opened the dialog with about him being gay.  Let Armando come into it on his own With Kenny's support.  I don't understand why Kenny is impatient with Armando on this issue.  He is putting additional stress on Armando and not helping him.  

Its just seems forced and for the cameras at time.  

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I would find using that thing at a neighborhood BBQ exhausting enough with a guest visiting from another non English speaking country, let alone my spouse and in laws.

I would download a language app so that I could eventually become proficient in the language.  That translator needs to be thrown out.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, spunky said:

That translator needs to be thrown out.

Some of it might be the clarity of the speaker.  I use talk-to-text sometimes on my phone, and if I mumble at all the resulting text can be garbled.  Plus, if someone else (even the TV) is talking in the background, it can be picked up and goes into the text as well.  Add to the situation the fact that it doesn't seem like the speaker can SEE what they are having translated.  Major potential for the source of the problem being unclear speech being translated.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

But I have to say I think Deavan and Ari thought that the simple fact that they were White women moving to non-White countries would be enough to make them royalty and be treated as such. 

What’s Brittany’s excuse for having no respect for Yazan’s culture?

In my opinion, the problem is not race - it is ignorance and, for two of them, the lack of birth control.  None of these women bothered to learn anything about the culture into which they were moving.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, magemaud said:

Sometimes when your teeth are too crowded in your mouth, they remove some to make room. I had four perfectly healthy bicuspids extracted 50 years ago when I had braces so my teeth fit my "dental arch" better. Maybe that's the last space that Brittany has to get closed up before she can get her braces off. 

If you lived in my town fifty years ago and got *real* braces (hence my fake ones with rubber bands and foil) your family was rich.  I too had the canines on each side extracted, although they were healthy, and then instructed to push on the remaining teeth to make them fill in the spaces.  This was "poor girl's braces" and a common procedure.  It worked!  I have a beautiful smile with nice uncrowded teeth.  Sans braces or extractions, I would have a Dracula smile.

Different experiences, different interpretations of Brittany's teeth.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, Kid said:

What’s Brittany’s excuse for having no respect for Yazan’s culture?

In my opinion, the problem is not race - it is ignorance and, for two of them, the lack of birth control.  None of these women bothered to learn anything about the culture into which they were moving.

I said what I thought Brittany's excuse was in my original comment.  Brittany clearly thought that being AMERICAN (and having a big ass) was all she needed to become Queen of Jordan.  Not to mention the fact that whenever she's with Yazan, she looks like a cat playing with a mouse.  She enjoys the game.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Better watch out for R-rated movies.

I was doing a voice-generated search on my phone for a recipe for pineapple upside-down cake the other day, and the TV was on.  My search box said I was looking for "Regis Philbin pineapple upside-down cake."  LOL.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I was doing a voice-generated search on my phone for a recipe for pineapple upside-down cake the other day, and the TV was on.  My search box said I was looking for "Regis Philbin pineapple upside-down cake."  LOL.

At least it added the "pineapple" in there.  Otherwise, you'd have a hell of a time finding a proper cake pan.

• LOL 5
56 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

I said what I thought Brittany's excuse was in my original comment.  Brittany clearly thought that being AMERICAN (and having a big ass) was all she needed to become Queen of Jordan.  Not to mention the fact that whenever she's with Yazan, she looks like a cat playing with a mouse.  She enjoys the game.

Absolutely. It's just a game to her and she enjoys stringing Yazan along, lying to him about her intentions and even her ability to get married. Yazan seems much more sincere, though naive and driven by lust for this crazy western girl who is everything his culture says he shouldn't have. It's cruel for her to play with him and his family like that. It's a dangerous game she's playing and she can only continue because the cameras are there.

• Love 6
On 8/26/2020 at 12:06 PM, John M said:

I'm constantly amazed at how much strife seems universal in heterosexual relationships seems to revolve around men refusing to engage in household physical and emotional labor because they are men and men don't do that. Like, the idea that two men could have a happy marriage and a clean and organized house just seems unfathomable to them.

Honey, for the 1000th time neither of us is the "woman", we divided up the needs of our household fairly and equitably years ago, we honestly do not have any conflict over who does the dishes, the laundry and takes out the trash.

We had the same issue when we got married! My wife has short hair and keeps getting asked if she's "the guy." People back up really quickly when we say "neither of us is the guy, that's kind of the point in a lesbian relationship" and try to stammer stupid justifications. It's really hurtful to her because she is quite feminine, but because she wears her hair short she gets labeled as butch. Meanwhile I have more traditionally "masculine" hobbies like skydiving and working on cars and woodworking, I am "the girl" because I have long hair. It's so stupid.

We see it on this show, too--people can't get it through their heads that Tim (from BT90D, now on pillow talk, not cheesedick) is not gay simply because he takes care of his skin. Hello, men have skin too, and if other straight men don't take care of theirs, that's on them, don't project your BS onto others because they're different from you. 

One thing I'm curious about, though: if the narrative is that Kenny supposedly comes from a progressive area and is out and proud, and can't get used to being stuffed back in the closet in his little Mexican hamlet, okay, I can see why that would be the story. Then why have the segment where he goes back to the 80s and remembers losing friends and fearing for his safety upon coming out? He has been out for a LONG time and knows how to keep safe. He knows that, wrong though it is, avoiding PDA in some places is necessary. It's like a woman putting her keys between her fingers to walk to her car. She shouldn't have to, but she does, just in case. Kenny should know better. I'm just really surprised that they have to keep rehashing "I'm not comfortable with PDA here" because I'm sure Kenny gets it. He's not that dense. Is it simply because they are so drama-free that this is all they have to deal with?

Re cheesedick's working remotely, there are tax implications for having employees located in other jurisdictions, especially if they live there full-time. My company is small but we have employees working all over, and our preference is to hire new employees in states and countries where we already have a presence, for insurance, data privacy, and other legal reasons. His employer may have reconsidered how hard it might be to set up a legal presence in Colombia if they didn't already have one there. (That said, I am sure this was producer driven.)

Edited by monagatuna
  • Love 7
28 minutes ago, monagatuna said:

We had the same issue when we got married! My wife has short hair and keeps getting asked if she's "the guy." People back up really quickly when we say "neither of us is the guy, that's kind of the point in a lesbian relationship" and try to stammer stupid justifications. It's really hurtful to her because she is quite feminine, but because she wears her hair short she gets labeled as butch. Meanwhile I have more traditionally "masculine" hobbies like skydiving and working on cars and woodworking, I am "the girl" because I have long hair. It's so stupid.

We see it on this show, too--people can't get it through their heads that Tim (from BT90D, now on pillow talk, not cheesedick) is not gay simply because he takes care of his skin. Hello, men have skin too, and if other straight men don't take care of theirs, that's on them, don't project your BS onto others because they're different from you. 

One thing I'm curious about, though: if the narrative is that Kenny supposedly comes from a progressive area and is out and proud, and can't get used to being stuffed back in the closet in his little Mexican hamlet, okay, I can see why that would be the story. Then why have the segment where he goes back to the 80s and remembers losing friends and fearing for his safety upon coming out? He has been out for a LONG time and knows how to keep safe. He knows that, wrong though it is, avoiding PDA in some places is necessary. It's like a woman putting her keys between her fingers to walk to her car. She shouldn't have to, but she does, just in case. Kenny should know better. I'm just really surprised that they have to keep rehashing "I'm not comfortable with PDA here" because I'm sure Kenny gets it. He's not that dense. Is it simply because they are so drama-free that this is all they have to deal with?

Re cheesedick's working remotely, there are tax implications for having employees located in other jurisdictions, especially if they live there full-time. My company is small but we have employees working all over, and our preference is to hire new employees in states and countries where we already have a presence, for insurance, data privacy, and other legal reasons. His employer may have reconsidered how hard it might be to set up a legal presence in Colombia if they didn't already have one there. (That said, I am sure this was producer driven.)

It's not even the time though, surely Kenny has been in many situations in the states where he hasn't felt safe being out. Every year we take a family trip with my in-laws and we get to our hotel in a little town on the road trip and the front desk looks at us with that look, every gay person knows that look, where they question if we meant to order a king size bed and not two double beds. All of this is not new to Kenny, not even in the most of the US, he probably feels he needs to pass all the time in his own home town.

As for cheesedoodle, you are right. My brother is a former professional athlete and he had to have a tax expert that specializes in professional athletes to sort out his taxes because of all the taxing jurisdictions he was subject to.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Maybe he was buried upside down.  Anything is possible at Notre Dame.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

Not to mention the fact that whenever she's with Yazan, she looks like a cat playing with a mouse.  She enjoys the game.

Amen to that!

Edited by Kid
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, John M said:

But also I wish they would stop acting like it is a weird Mexico specific thing. I live in a very large progressive city and I'm afraid of PDAs with my husband outside the main drag of the gayborhood. Not that long ago I had someone throw a drink at me from a passing car and scream the f-word on said street. Also it is an easily avoidable street covered in rainbow flags and gay oriented businesses, so they pretty much went out of their way to attempt to assault a gay dude from a passing car and yell a slur at them.

Again, Mexico City has a huge gay village, Porta Vallatra is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world for the gay community, I know plenty of openly gay latino men from "traditional" hispanic families that have completely embraced and support their gay children, even if it took them a bit to get there. It kinds of just sucks to be gay anywhere and Armando's parents are being kind of shitty, hopefully they will come around, lots, not all, but lots of parents that were initially hostile towards their children's sexuality come around and turn out to be huge allies.

Thank you! One of my best friends lived in Mexico for years, he owned a popular gay bar in Puerto Vallarta. He had previously owned a club in Los Angeles, and he said he didn't have a fraction of the trouble from the cops in Mexico that he had in LA. This "Mexico bad, USA good" in terms of the gay community narrative they're pushing is bogus. 

1 hour ago, monagatuna said:

I wish I could like your post 100 times, thank you. 

• Love 4