Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 5/18/2020

falltime
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, ThePurpleArcher said:

My take-away from today's episode:

Rebecca Jarvis is  telling people to prioritize their debt, and try to pay what you must for the next few months - year. Call your bank and ask them to work with you on your mortgage payments, ask your landlord for help on your rent, etc.  Many people just may not be going back to the job they had in February - ever. 

Question for Ms. Jarvis: 

Where does the daily 'View Your Deal' fit into  'prioritizing ones budget '?  Shall we dive into our 401Ks,  and keep buying over-priced face creams and skin moisturizers to keep the small businesses afloat?  Should we add more to our credit card debt to buy Oprah's favorite  products, even though we're asking for debt forbearance in the first place ? 

This is what the show doesn't get right - at all. They're telling people on a regular basis to be careful with their finances during these turbulent times, and spend conservatively to keep a roof over your head.  Then they push this stuff on a daily basis, obviously to profit off each sale available to viewers - who they're cautioning. 

It's like having a doctor telling your viewers every day to watch what they eat, eat only healthy foods you cook for yourselves, stay away from processed foods and fried foods, etc.  And then offering your viewers to buy a $100 gift card to Cracker Barrel Restaurants for only $50. Just a bit too crazy. 

It doesn't help that the ladies of the View are working at the moment and making a lot of money doing so. So they can spend their money and support the small businesses for View your Deal, but others may not have the same luxury.

• Love 5

Once again, The View hosts take a position and then repeat it day after day.  BTW, ABC news person, why are you also talking about how terrible things would be if the country was to wait for a vaccine? No one is saying that, but that is now this weird talking point that is pitting everyone against each other.  Or as MeAgain says, creates a culture war in America, pitting god fearing good taxpayers against the awful fraidy-cat libs.  

I wish they would talk about something else.  Oh, wait, they did.

https://people.com/tv/meghan-mccain-says-being-in-quarantine-with-husband-has-felt-like-marriage-on-acid/

Re MeAgain smiling all of a sudden, she even pasted on a forced smile for the 20 second bit they do at the end.

trump GIF

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
40 minutes ago, bannana said:

Once again, The View hosts take a position and then repeat it day after day.  BTW, ABC news person, why are you also talking about how terrible things would be if the country was to wait for a vaccine? No one is saying that, but that is now this weird talking point that is pitting everyone against each other.  Or as MeAgain says, creates a culture war in America, pitting god fearing good taxpayers against the awful fraidy-cat libs.  

I wish they would talk about something else.  Oh, wait, they did.

https://people.com/tv/meghan-mccain-says-being-in-quarantine-with-husband-has-felt-like-marriage-on-acid/

Re MeAgain smiling all of a sudden, she even pasted on a forced smile for the 20 second bit they do at the end.

trump GIF

Actually, our governor of New Jersey did say something very similar about our state not opening up fully and completely until a vaccine is readily available:

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/05/coronavirus-vaccine-must-be-widely-available-before-nj-fully-reopens-to-new-normal-murphy-says.html

As you can imagine, that was met with a great deal of criticism and angry posts online from worried business owners and people out of work.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I loved how Joy just started laughing at the guest. Why do they invite lunatics like this on the show?

Hadn’t heard about this guy but my late husband was from Butler and he couldn’t wait to get out of there at 17.  This guy is a real gem. I can see why Joy was laughing at him after doing a search 

The  finically person was useless for me, I have very small family and group of friends and one friend is on unemployment and since was able to pay off all his credit cards and has money in the bank for a forced move soon. After getting the $ 2400 stimulus  and  additional $ 600 each check is doing well. I am sure this is not the case for everyone with a mortgage etc.  His husband is a government employee who is working from home. They eat take out all the time ,I’ve not had restaurant  or fast food for 2 and half months.  I’ve paid a lot of money to have groceries delivered ( am so very grateful to have that service) . I live on SS which rent takes all of and a tiny retirement.  I haven’t heard anyone discuss seniors on limited income. Sorry if some of this is OT but hard to see a light at the end of a tunnel. But yeah these women aren’t going through what most of us are. What does MM think will enable her to go visit friends?   Go sure they’ll be glad to see you. What a delight it must be to talk politics all day for her.  

• Love 10
59 minutes ago, ThePurpleArcher said:

My take-away from today's episode:

Rebecca Jarvis is  telling people to prioritize their debt, and try to pay what you must for the next few months - year. Call your bank and ask them to work with you on your mortgage payments, ask your landlord for help on your rent, etc.  Many people just may not be going back to the job they had in February - ever. 

Question for Ms. Jarvis: 

Where does the daily 'View Your Deal' fit into  'prioritizing ones budget '?  Shall we dive into our 401Ks,  and keep buying over-priced face creams and skin moisturizers to keep the small businesses afloat?  Should we add more to our credit card debt to buy Oprah's favorite  products, even though we're asking for debt forbearance in the first place ? 

This is what the show doesn't get right - at all. They're telling people on a regular basis to be careful with their finances during these turbulent times, and spend conservatively to keep a roof over your head.  Then they push this stuff on a daily basis, obviously to profit off each sale available to viewers - who they're cautioning. 

It's like having a doctor telling your viewers every day to watch what they eat, eat only healthy foods you cook for yourselves, stay away from processed foods and fried foods, etc.  And then offering your viewers to buy a $100 gift card to Cracker Barrel Restaurants for only $50. Just a bit too crazy. 

Exactly! I'm able to work from home and still getting my same salary, but there's no telling how my job as well as those of my family and friends could be affected. I help out my loved ones, try to choose local business when I can, and am a generous tipper. I definitely don't have Whoopi Goldberg coins though. I can only do so much. 

This isn't just from the View, but I too feel like I'm getting mixed messages in general. Sometimes I feel like the message I'm getting is I'm spending too much since the future is so uncertain and that I should be saving more. Other times I feel like I'm supposed to constantly share and spend and help save these small businesses. I'm sorry, but the average American probably shouldn't spend their hard-earned money on gift cards from small businesses that may close down when they have their own bills to pay and family to feed. Same with the VYD. If you're actually getting a great deal on something you want, sweet. But unless you have the kind of money the View hosts do, gotta be careful with those too. 

• Love 10

MeAgain contradicts herself once again.  Lately she has been saying it's time for people to get back to work and life as it used to be.  In response to her dumb comments re being willing to take any drug to be able to leave her house, someone tweeted she should go outside, wear a mask and socially distance, saying it is not that hard.  MeAgain flipped out and ranted about how hard it is to go outside (WTF?).

https://hollywoodlife.com/2020/05/19/meghan-mccain-backlash-hydroxychloroquine-joke-response-video-donald-trump/

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
(edited)
12 minutes ago, bannana said:

MeAgain contradicts herself once again.  Lately she has been saying it's time for people to get back to work and life as it used to be.  In response to her dumb comments re being willing to take any drug to be able to leave her house, someone tweeted she should go outside, wear a mask and socially distance, saying it is not that hard.  MeAgain flipped out and ranted about how hard it is to go outside (WTF?).

https://hollywoodlife.com/2020/05/19/meghan-mccain-backlash-hydroxychloroquine-joke-response-video-donald-trump/

So let me get this straight. She is on the side of the protesters who want to open everything up and virus be damned. But she isn't willing to even go outside because it's just so damn hard.

This is a textbook example of cognitive dissonance. Meghan knows the prudent thing is to be safe and use precautions. However her tribe is making noise and she needs to support them.

Edited by blondiec0332
  • LOL 1
  • Love 20
39 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

Hadn’t heard about this guy but my late husband was from Butler and he couldn’t wait to get out of there at 17.  This guy is a real gem. I can see why Joy was laughing at him after doing a search 

The  finically person was useless for me, I have very small family and group of friends and one friend is on unemployment and since was able to pay off all his credit cards and has money in the bank for a forced move soon. After getting the $ 2400 stimulus  and  additional $ 600 each check is doing well. I am sure this is not the case for everyone with a mortgage etc.  His husband is a government employee who is working from home. They eat take out all the time ,I’ve not had restaurant  or fast food for 2 and half months.  I’ve paid a lot of money to have groceries delivered ( am so very grateful to have that service) . I live on SS which rent takes all of and a tiny retirement.  I haven’t heard anyone discuss seniors on limited income. Sorry if some of this is OT but hard to see a light at the end of a tunnel. But yeah these women aren’t going through what most of us are. What does MM think will enable her to go visit friends?   Go sure they’ll be glad to see you. What a delight it must be to talk politics all day for her.  

friends, she has friends? 

• LOL 6
36 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Exactly! I'm able to work from home and still getting my same salary, but there's no telling how my job as well as those of my family and friends could be affected. I help out my loved ones, try to choose local business when I can, and am a generous tipper. I definitely don't have Whoopi Goldberg coins though. I can only do so much. 

This isn't just from the View, but I too feel like I'm getting mixed messages in general. Sometimes I feel like the message I'm getting is I'm spending too much since the future is so uncertain and that I should be saving more. Other times I feel like I'm supposed to constantly share and spend and help save these small businesses. I'm sorry, but the average American probably shouldn't spend their hard-earned money on gift cards from small businesses that may close down when they have their own bills to pay and family to feed. Same with the VYD. If you're actually getting a great deal on something you want, sweet. But unless you have the kind of money the View hosts do, gotta be careful with those too. 

I agree 100%.

The future is so uncertain - I would caution anyone and everyone to buy what they truly need, and if they can get a great deal on something - terrific! But these 'view your deal' offerings are not the bargain they think they're getting - not when most retailers have their merchandise marked down  75% these days to get rid of untouched merchandise and generate some cash. 50% is not cutting it during a pandemic. 

And I should caution - with the pandemic, be careful what you choose. Many retailers / on-line businesses are NOT taking returns at this time, as a precaution during the virus (can't blame them). So if someone thinks they can easily return their $100 face mask and get a refund when their phone bill comes due, they better think again. 

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

So let me get this straight. She is on the side of the protesters who want to open everything up and virus be damned. But she isn't willing to even go outside because it's just so damn hard.

This is a textbook example of cognitive dissonance. Meghan knows the prudent thing is to be safe and use precautions. However her tribe is making noise and she needs to support them.

She’d rather whine and play the poor pitiful me victim than actually do the hard work (?) of putting on a mask and social distancing like everyone else. 

• Love 17

Once again, today on the show Joy said that Biden is beating Trump in the polls. I haven't seen any news at all about polls, nothing on TV and nothing on websites. All the focus is on COVID19 (and rightly so). I haven't heard any 'poll' mentioned. Does anyone know where Joy is getting her info from ? I'm not doubting her - I'm just curious, as I haven't heard anything in two months. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

She can leave her house. Put on a mask. Social distance.  She acts like she is on house arrest. 

LOL! I keep thinking the same thing.  She acts like she's been diagnosed with a rare, highly contagious illness, and can't be out of a 'controlled environment'. It's only pregnancy, for God's sake! 

Put on a mask, grab your husband's hand, and take a stroll around Central Park. Plenty of acreage there to get the fresh air while social distancing from strangers. 

Yet this is her way of getting the maximum attention. 

• Love 10
(edited)
2 hours ago, bannana said:

MeAgain flipped out and ranted about how hard it is to go outside (WTF?).

Did Meghan totally misread that tweet?  She sounds off the rails here.

The original tweet quotes her from this morning about how she's so desperate to do anything outside.  The guy tweets back to go outside while wearing a mask and keeping socially distant.  Like for a damn walk!  He wasn't talking about people not being able to work.

That's the reason Meghan always cites for why there is a rise in suicides, drug use (for some reason she thinks opioids are the only problem drug), child abuse, and other problems.  That's not what she was talking about this morning in relation to herself, because obviously she is working.  Is she now saying that her problem of not being comfortable going outside also causes this level of distress?    

It's also pretty rich for her to accuse someone of having a "trite and ignorant" response, since she specializes in those.

Edited by lusinia
  • LOL 2
  • Love 16
17 minutes ago, ThePurpleArcher said:

Once again, today on the show Joy said that Biden is beating Trump in the polls. I haven't seen any news at all about polls, nothing on TV and nothing on websites. All the focus is on COVID19 (and rightly so). I haven't heard any 'poll' mentioned. Does anyone know where Joy is getting her info from ? I'm not doubting her - I'm just curious, as I haven't heard anything in two months. 

Saw this is usatoday this afternoon

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/05/19/polls-biden-leads-trump-arizona-florida-virginia/5221514002/

• Love 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, lusinia said:

Is she now saying that her problem of not being comfortable going outside also causes this level of distress?    

Well, boo fucking hoo, Meghan. Imagine the stress level of medical personnel treating the ill, not to mention those essential workers who have no choice about whether they can sit (and whine) in their gilded cages but have to go out and work or lose their jobs. Culture wars, my ass. This is about the most tone deaf thing she’s said.

I'm especially over her whining because my daughter suffered her 3rd miscarriage in the last 18 mos. She’d gladly trade places with Meghan. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, bannana said:

What the hell?! She is batshit nuts.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, ThePurpleArcher said:

I saw those polls on MSNBC, that show Biden ahead of Trump.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, After7Only said:

There have been multiple articles with poll information since Biden became the expected nominee.  Some j

Just now, Rainyhawk said:

There have been multiple articles with poll information since Biden became the expected nominee.  Some j

(Sorry, it just posted my unfinished comment.). Some are national and some by state...I assume that’s what Joy is talking about.  I’ve seen several of them.  

• Love 3
19 hours ago, jungki said:

I remember a couple of months ago Meghan was calling Trump's racist rhetoric "effective" and now she's blaming Obama for a culture war that 1) far predates him, and 2) was undeniably linked to his status as the first black president. 

So I guess today made it clear she does not have an issue with appeals to racism for political purposes as long as it's in support of her political identity.  

Oh Soledad with the spicy tweet. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 11

Why can't John McCain's daughter present the demeanor she presented Tuesday's episode on every episode? She smiled. She bantered with the rest of the panel. I thought her point about people being so desperate to get back to normal that they'd be willing to try unproven treatments like hydroxychloroquine to stay healthy made sense and wasn't her usual nonsense.

She is an okay host when not parroting her husband's talking points or forcing conservative/republican dog whistles.

• Love 3

Yes, it is healthy to get out of the house. Vitamin D from the sun boosts your immune system and lifts your mood. If she doesnt want to walk, going for a drive is good.

She was really losing it today.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, tinkerbell said:

Yes, it is healthy to get out of the house. Vitamin D from the sun boosts your immune system and lifts your mood. If she doesnt want to walk, going for a drive is good.

She was really losing it today.

This is a good point. I went for a drive yesterday, with the tunes playing, the sun was shining, and it just made me happy!  I didn't have to interact with people at all.  What is wrong with her that she thinks she is in lockdown?!  

She can also go for a walk.

My niece is pregnant (due in a month)  and has really been in isolation.  She has a potentially serious underlying condition, so she is not willing to take a risk. She is a very active and fit person.  And, she still goes for walks with her partner. Of course it is not perfect, and not what she expected, but she is just grateful that she has maternity leave (Canada!).  She is not freaking out like MeAgain, who btw has all the money in the world.  You know who is really suffering right now, MeAgain?  The people you want to force to go back to work and service your manicures and your hair colour.  Maybe you should google meat packing plant deaths.  

• Love 13
8 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

She doesn't have any friends that have places outside the city she could stay at?  She doesn't know anyone that has a guest house or something?  

• Love 6
(edited)

Mega would be much happier and healthier at her fam's compound  in AZ, walking in nature. 

She really should go the asap. 

I can't stand her.  I just am tired of her hateful demeanor on tv.

Plus, that negative vibe cannot be good for the baby.  

Go to AZ, Nutmeg. 

Edited by Tosia
  • Useful 1
  • Love 14
25 minutes ago, Tosia said:

Mega would be much happier and healthier at her fam's compound  in AZ, walking in nature. 

Go to AZ, Nutmeg. 

but then the family would have to put up with her and i'm guessing they are not sitting there hoping to see her grim face

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

I think the fact that Ronan Farrow is a Pulitzer Prize winner is irrelevant to any if this, and I wish they'd stop harping on it. His reporting is not above being questioned. I am not anti Ronan Farrow,  but I don't believe that any award or status should shield anyone from being investigated.  

• Love 19

Whoopie- “We’ll be back when we return”.  Ummm.  That reminds me of a sign I once saw on a store that read “We are not open because we are closed.”

• LOL 19
(edited)
2 hours ago, Tosia said:

Go to AZ, Nutmeg. 

I'm really curious why she didn't go there as soon as she could. Being outside helps. Didn't she say early on that her husband  was the one that didn't want her doing anything outside? 

I dont feel sorry for Meghan she has options most don't. She talks out both sides of her mouth. "Hunker down be so afraid you dont even take a walk or open everything up everyone wants to get back to regular life" huh?

Blaming President Obama for the "cultural war" stfu Meghan. 

Meghan smirking and bringing up  Bret Kavanaugh wtf? Were Joy and Meghan confused or just forgot how that played out. I'm glad Sunny explained it.

Edited by Coffeewinewater
  • Love 14

Ok Meghan says she is not interested in talking about weight during a pandemic-didn't she just fucking say that gaining weight was her biggest fear? I turned on the tv when she made the KavanaUGH remark. I don't need this shit today. Click.

• LOL 3
  • Love 11

I guess Meg doesn’t watch the news or perhaps she only watches Fox, but it was reported yesterday that people who still test positive after recovering from covid are actually carrying a dead virus. They don’t have it again and they aren’t contagious. 

• Love 11
(edited)
3 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

The unmitigated gall of Missy to bring up Brett Kavanaugh in that conversation was rich.  It was "her people" that railroaded that poor woman to get him on the bench.  Disgusting!!!

Like Sunny said, he was being investigated until McCain's party put a stop to the investigation. Sunny was right overall that it's always been about listening to women, recommending it to be investigated and looked into / corroborated when possible--not simply believing something on pure faith.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 18
2 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Ok Meghan says she is not interested in talking about weight during a pandemic-didn't she just fucking say that gaining weight was her biggest fear? I turned on the tv when she made the KavanaUGH remark. I don't need this shit today. Click.

Her speaking on that topic is such a So What, Who Cares moment. We know Mean Girl McCain would be the first to attack someone's weight and appearance if she wasn't a hefty girl herself. We know, because she's been vile and disgusting in every other possible way since she's joined this show.

• Love 14
35 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Like Sunny said, he was being investigated until McCain's party put a stop to the investigation. Sunny was right overall that it's always been about listening to women, recommending it to be investigated and looked into / corroborated when possible--not simply believing something on pure faith.

I had this discussion with my son. He called me a hypocrite for not believing all women. I explained to him simply believing a woman because she says something happened is just as wrong as believing a man just because he says something didn't happen.  

26 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Her speaking on that topic is such a So What, Who Cares moment. We know Mean Girl McCain would be the first to attack someone's weight and appearance if she wasn't a hefty girl herself. We know, because she's been vile and disgusting in every other possible way since she's joined this show.

Other than a few insults here and there about Meghan's weight she isn't really attacked for it.  But to hear her tell it she is persecuted for it.  And I would have no problem believing she is a mean girl behind the scenes talking about people's appearances.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
On 5/19/2020 at 11:52 AM, lusinia said:

Yeah, I was surprised at Joy, too.  She probably missed or forgot that this happened way back in March.

That must have been a preempted day cz i dont recall that either.  I dont recall ever hearing him say he was sick either.  Heres a thought...its a dark one...netflix worthy lol....ok what if he wanted to purposely infect himself, knowing with men its not too too bad.  And that theres a bunch meds out there.  Knowing all that and more, what if he got himself infected, so he could take the drug and make a hero recovery, and then would be the hero of the country.

1 hour ago, blondiec0332 said:

I had this discussion with my son. He called me a hypocrite for not believing all women. I explained to him simply believing a woman because she says something happened is just as wrong as believing a man just because he says something didn't happen.  

Sorry, blondie, I have to disagree.

Men have had a long history of machismo, power, and frat boy-type solidarity of disabling a woman's accusations of sexual harassment/rape. 

And the legal system has backed them up.  And continues to do so.  

Disgusting.  

I believe the women.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

The Ronan Farrow discussion was a mess.  Whoopie starts off by saying that the NYT accuses Ronan of "not checking facts and sources", and then she says that Matt Lauer reached out to "sources" that Ronan didn't reach out to, and that they "didn't back up Farrow's reporting".  This is a broad, sweeping statement that implies a whole lot more than what the article seems to say.

First off, it's ridiculous to present Matt Lauer as being more truthful about his scandal than Ronan.  Besides, that story broke long before Ronan ever did any reporting on it.  

Since I don't subscribe to the NYT, and they no longer allow you to read a few free articles a month, I wasn't able to read it, but in reports from other publications about that article they mention this quote in the article from Ben Smith, the writer -

Smith also made clear that his review of Farrow’s work did not find him to be a fabulist.

“He does not make things up,” he wrote.

But the way Whoopie framed it certainly gave that impression.  Then, towards the end, Whoopie says that "the ball is in Ronan's court" and he needs to respond to these "interesting questions". 

Well, if she or someone else would do her research she would see that both Ronan, and, especially, his New Yorker editor issued a lengthy rebuttal Monday on twitter to the NYT article (the show only showed tweets rebutting Lauer).  Here are a couple of Ronan's New Yorker editor's tweets (the next 13 tweets go into detail about a couple of the stories) - 

Then Joy takes the discussion in a completely different direction, and it gets into "believe women" vs "believe all women".  They would have been better off leaving this entire discussion off their agenda.  It was just all over the map.   

Yeah, right.  It's perfectly okay if a man gains "hundreds of pounds", and not only that, no one will say a word about it, according to Meghan.

Now I really need Joy to post her almond cake recipe.  Is it an Italian recipe?  Does she use Amaretto?  I absolutely love Amaretto.  And I love cake.

3 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Ok Meghan says she is not interested in talking about weight during a pandemic-didn't she just fucking say that gaining weight was her biggest fear?

I thought of that exact same thing.  Wasn't it just a couple of weeks ago?  Maybe the "chip" in the brain that she imagines makes weight "interesting" to people, that she so smugly and proudly claimed her brain doesn't have, really is there, but it's defective, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  

So today Meghan's tan again.  She was tan on Monday, but not yesterday.  Does self-tanner wear off that quickly, or is she using a bronzer?  Someone needs to tell her that she needs to do her chest, too, if her neckline is low. 

Edited by lusinia
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, Tosia said:

I believe the women.

I listen to women. If there is no evidence then I form an opinion on what I do know about the allegations.  My opinion does not matter. But if I was on a jury then my opinion would matter.

• Love 20

Sunny has changed her tune. She now says that she has been of the mentality that we should listen to all women. But this has not always been the case...

at the beginning of the video
Joy: So do we have to believe all women?

Sunny: I'd like to believe all women.

Joy: You'd like to, but do we have to?
Sunny: I think we do

video continues...Sara makes an argument for listening to all women, not necessarily believing all women.

Sunny: Statistically, you'd find that most women do not lie about sexual harassment or assault.

• Love 5

With Sunny’s background in prosecuting sex crimes I’m sure she means women have to be believed enough to investigate, not dismissed just because a man denies the incident. 

• Love 17