Type keyword(s) to search

Rosie O'Donnell: She's Back! (Bite it, Bitsy!)

Jaded
  • Start Topic

What's the backstory with the split screen?

If I recall correctly, Rosie made a comment one day that many people interpreted as her calling the American troops terrorists. The next day, she asked Elisabeth if that is how she had interpreted her comment. Elisabeth refused to answer and told Rosie that it wasn't her (Elisabeths) job to "defend Rosie from the Republicans". Rosie also commented that the news media kept stating that Rosie was picking on/being mean to "poor defenseless pregnant Elisabeth". The two started yelling back and forth (poor Joy and Sherri were sitting in between them), and the producers did a split screen so that the viewers could see both co hosts at the same time. (Joy said several times that they should go to commercial, I presume so that the two could cool down a bit). And I think that was the day Rosie quit (apparently she was mad the the producers/Geddie would do something as gimicky as a split screen).

• Love 2

Thank you, stillbored! It will be interesting to see if there is a similar dynamic between Rosie and SE Cupp, if she's hired. I'd like to think an Ivy League grad would resist sinking to Elisabeth's level, but far right pundits are no longer what they once were as far as dignity and restraint go.

• Love 1

The two started yelling back and forth (poor Joy and Sherri were sitting in between them), and the producers did a split screen so that the viewers could see both co hosts at the same time.

Rosie felt that she had been set up because a split screen has to be planned in advance.  So she thought that Geddie and Elizabeth had planned this the day before.  I was watching Wendy Williams last week and she asked her producers to put up a split screen and then she said, "Oh yes, I forgot, the split screen has to be planned in advance.  So, Geddie was behind this and EH was his little puppet.

Also, in regard to Rosie, I think her mental state is much different/better now.  She was so unbalanced and unmedicated when Columbine happened that she had a breakdown.  I remember her saying that she called Oprah in the middle of the night crying and Oprah was very alarmed.  She has been treated for depression.

But, as the TV show hostess reveals in the latest issue of her magazine Rosie , she has struggled with depression her entire life. "I am one of the haunted," she wrote, saying she only freed herself of depression's grip two years ago, at age 37, with the help of antidepressants.

I think we will see a different Rosie.

• Love 9
Besides, she's lost weight since her heart attack and looks terrific.

When Rosie did her short-lived OWN talk show from Chicago, she lived a few houses away from a good friend of mine.  My friend said if you just saw her on the street, without knowing who she was or that she was "well-known" for being fat, you'd never call her that.  Plump, average, regular... those are the words my friend used to describe her.  Rosie may have been overweight by TV standards, but for real life, not really.  (By that I mean, probably by a doctor's scale, but not by comparison to other people not on TV.)

Last time she was on The View and talking about her heart attack, she mentioned that women's symptoms are different from men's, and gave the mnemonic HEPPP to help remember what to watch out for (Hotter than you've ever been in your life, Exhausted beyond anything you've ever felt before, Pain, Pale and Puke).  I didn't watch The View when Rosie was on before, but just that little HEPPP did more for me than Elisabeth did the whole time I have watched (six years now).  I enjoyed her OWN Channel show, and I look forward to seeing her on The View.

• Love 8
The fact that you dislike her is not proof that she is "widely despised."  Those are specific words -- why is she "widely despised," and by whom?

Well, my post specifically said "I like Rosie fine." She is undoubtedly admired by many but is also reviled in certain quarters; I'd liken her to Roseanne in that respect. Loud, in-your-face, overweight women -- certain people seem to be really threatened by it. Other groups: right wingers, anti-gay groups, former staffers, random neurotic shitheads. There's plenty of disgust being thrown her way.

The unfair reputation of Rosie O'Donnell.

• Love 8

I like Rosie, and it has been while since her show, so I am hoping she has learned to use  more diplomatic  words when speaking about controversial topics.  Be clear, but aware of your audience. I would love to talk to her in person about issues, but I think we probably agree on most things, so no sparks, sadly.

I used to like Whoopi, but since she is always right, she grates. It will be a fascinating mix of personalities.  I just hope Whoopi does not sink back into her semi-conscious funk. I understand that she may still be grieving too, so hopefully she may be comforted by friends and family during this next year as well.

• Love 2

The Ask Ro site needs to be kept on our radar!

http://rosie.com/askro/

I used to go to Rosie's site all the time..... would post a lot too.... then I got frustrated because there was never any responses..... She would answer peeps who said negative stuff but seldom just conversed....... but that was long ago.... I have learned and accepted being ignored much easier now :)

At this very late date, could it be true that Rosie hasn't been informed who her new co-hosts are??

Frankie Pitt writes:   August 29, 2014 12:00 am
Do you know who the new cohosts are?

(Rosie's reply):
no

Also, before that one, there was this:

Mary writes:   August 27, 2014 6:53 pm
Do you know when the new hosts' names will be announced?

(Rosie's reply):

no

Edited by LuckyBitch

Well, I don't see why it would be so hard to say, "Yes, I do know and I can't wait for the big announcement coming soon."

I imagine if she said yes that would unleash an onslaught of fan pestering from now until the official announcement, and gossip sites would pick it up etc. A simple "no" shuts most of that down pretty effectively.

Edited by TribbleTrouble
  • Love 2

Yeah, I can see that maybe happening. Still, I'd rather be honest. I think people would understand that of course Rosie and Whoopi will know before the official announcement.

Edited by LuckyBitch

I've been tooling along through these posts, being so happy about Rosie O'Donnell and Whoopi Goldberg appearing daily on my television screen.  (Joy, where are you, grrlfriend?  Come back!)

I admire both women, identify with them in various ways and think they make good role models and, er, gender representatives.  Looking forward to seeing their professional skills mesh. 

But I'm worried about the right wing fallout from RO's return--I mean, for her personally.  Yesterday I read an article on Entertainment Weekly's webpage about a new show (Utopia) and the comment section was suddenly overtaken by a conservative mob mentality:  attacks on Obama, "liberal filth," "another nail in the coffin of America!"   It was alarming.  And over nothing more than a silly tv show review on fluffy little EW.

I can't even imagine the level of invective that's going to be flying at RO, non-stop, on a daily basis.   The paint isn't even dry from the FoxNews target on her back and already they're replaying EH's call-in clips?  I know RO's tough, but who can deflect all that without being wounded?  (Not me.  I'm a sensitive kitten.)

Is she still selling notecards and stuff on her site?  I'll go buy a supportive mug.

• Love 6

I loved the insults towards Elisabeth and Sheri. It's nice she has made up with BW though. I wonder how weird the show will be with taped news segments during Hot Topics. How is everyone going to shut up for them to start next intro?

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 1

Really nice article. I love how Ro describes the cohost selection process as The Hunger Games. Heh.

For all intents and purposes I gave up on the show years ago that I'd watched loyally almost from the beginning. The addition of Sherri was sort of my line in the sand in terms of the dumbing down of the show. I watched progressively less after that until eventually I stopped watching altogether. I kept up with the snark via TWOP, but that was about it. Now, surprisingly, I find I'm really looking forward to this new View. I don't agree with everything Ro has to say, but I love her quick mind, interview style, compassion and outspokenness. I suspect (hope) she'll up Whoopi's game as well by giving her someone far more interesting than the usual dim bulbs to interact with. I love that Babs and especially Geddie are OUT and Wolff is in. The chemistry of the group remains to be seen, but it looks promising. I really hope the whole thing works.

• Love 7

I'll be honest: I saw the cover and was thinking "this is probably the first time I've seen her wear a dress outside of a movie."  But she is looking great!

Is she wearing pants with the dress? I can't tell. She does look good.

She only signed for one year but I hope it works.

• Love 2

Why would they hire her again?  Why would she want to come back?  I think there will many times when her and Whoopi are at odds.  It will be interesting.

I think The View stopped being relevant a couple years back, so bringing Rosie back will get people to watch again.  I haven't watched The View in many years, but I have it set in my DVR to record it today.  I think Rosie would come back because she is someone who has a perspective that she has always enjoyed sharing with the world in general and it gives her the opportunity.  While Rosie and Whoopi may have differing opinions, I imagine they will do it with much more respect and less drama than we have seen in previous seasons of The View.  As someone else said above, too bad Joy Behar is gone though, she's going to miss all the fun.  

• Love 3

Many years ago I repeatedly wrote to Rosie in the 'ask Ro' section. No reply for awhile until one day (it was June 15, that I remember cause it was my moms b-day). I look and there it was, a reply to my comment. Granted, it was in her very vague way she does answer, but she did answer. I was so happy' and I always loved Ro! Get ready! Every little thing she says or does is going to be on the nightly magazine shows or faux and no friends. of mine channel!

Edited by kathybgd
  • Love 1

I read an article this morning where RosieO was quoted in an interview making negative comments about Sherri and Elisabeth. Mean-spirited comments. Granted, she doesn't agree with either of them politically or otherwise, and that's fine, but she essentially suggested that they're both cognitively impaired. I appreciate classier people like Jenny McCarthy, who didn't badmouth her previous co-hosts.

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=888489&ocid=Outbrain=obinsite 

I read an article this morning where RosieO was quoted in an interview making negative comments about Sherri and Elisabeth. Mean-spirited comments. Granted, she doesn't agree with either of them politically or otherwise, and that's fine, but she essentially suggested that they're both cognitively impaired. I appreciate classier people like Jenny McCarthy, who didn't badmouth her previous co-hosts.

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=888489&ocid=Outbrain=obinsite 

I guess if someone was a fan of Sherri and Elisabeth I can see why those would be considered "negative comments" but like she said yesterday about Bush...... she was telling facts not attacking.

The "negative comment" about Sherri was about the "I don't know if the earth is flat" comment and how she felt when she heard it

The "negative comment" about Elisabeth was how Geddie would give her Right wing talking points and how Rosie would try to get her to share her own opinion.

Rosie was using facts that didn't put the 2 ex hosts in a very good light....... but in no way was her comments "mean spirited"..... honesty isn't mean

• Love 11

I guess if someone was a fan of Sherri and Elisabeth I can see why those would be considered "negative comments" but like she said yesterday about Bush...... she was telling facts not attacking.

I'm definitely not a Sherri or a Elisabeth fan. In fact, I agree with Rosie's world view more often than not. My point is that Rosie's comments were more than communicating about  former co-hosts or other hosts that and stating that you don't agree with their views or even that you don't think they were a good fit for The View. They sounded like personal attacks. To say that Elisabeth only repeats the news feeds she gets before the show:  that's possible, but was Rosie with Elisabeth every single morning when she got those news feeds? Did she memorize the wordage of every news feed so that she could say accurately that Elisabeth "only" repeated verbatim what was on the news feeds? I would've been okay if Rosie had said that she saw Elisabeth do that on more than one occasion. But Rosie made the leap that Elisabeth always repeated word-for-word what's in the daily news feeds. Not only was it mean, it was down-right inaccurate.

And Sherri? Most people would say that she wasn't a good fit for The View, but there was no reason for Rosie to comment it--Sherri isn't there anymore! Move on. In contrast, Sherri once said in an interview that sometimes after a show, Whoopi would approach her in a nice way to mention things she might want to say differently or research more for the show. I'm guessing Whoopi told Sherri to research the fact that the Earth is round, for example.

Edited by topanga
  • Love 2

I'm definitely not a Sherri or a Elisabeth fan. In fact, I agree with Rosie's world view more often than not. My point is that Rosie's comments were more than communicating about  former co-hosts or other hosts that and stating that you don't agree with their views or even that you don't think they were a good fit for The View. They sounded like personal attacks. To say that Elisabeth only repeats the news feeds she gets before the show:  that's possible, but was Rosie with Elisabeth every single morning when she got those news feeds? Did she memorize the wordage of every news feed so that she could say accurately that Elisabeth "only" repeated verbatim what was on the news feeds? I would've been okay if Rosie had said that she saw Elisabeth do that on more than one occasion. But Rosie made the leap that Elisabeth always repeated word-for-word what's in the daily news feeds. Not only was it mean, it was down-right inaccurate.

And Sherri? Most people would say that she wasn't a good fit for The View, but there was no reason for Rosie to comment it--Sherri isn't there anymore! Move on. In contrast, Sherri once said in an interview that sometimes after a show, Whoopi would approach her in a nice way to mention things she might want to say differently or research more for the show. I'm guessing Whoopi told Sherri to research the fact that the Earth is round, for example.

Come on topanga you are injecting your own opinion on what Rosie said..... This is what she actually said..... Elisabeth would go into the dressing room with [executive producer Bill Geddie] and go over Republican talking points that are sent out every day, and then come out and recite what she had ingested,"

She did not say ONLY...... she did not say "Elisabeth always repeated word-for-word what's in the daily news feeds."

Those are your words that you are attributing to Rosie.

Elisabeth was coached by Geddie..... and she became a parrot of the Right..... and that is another one of those uncomfortable facts ... we know this because when she would be challenged by one of those talking points.... she didnt have a response.... because she wasnt given one.

The reason Rosie was talking about Sherri..... even though she isnt there any more..... is because she was discussing how the new show will be "smarter" than the past show.... and gave an example..... that example was about a person who was on the last show

Dismissing Sherri from her participation on the last year train wreck of a show.... is kinda like ignoring the 8 years that President Bush was in office which caused the mess we are still in 6 years later

• Love 8

I read the article and it just doesn't seem smart to me and I always assumed Rosie was nothing but smart.  Rosie didn't need to take pot shots at the old hosts to say the new show is different.  

It's also interesting and it's been a common thread with Rosie how she referenced the personal events in her life (i.e. her divorce) and how it affected her on the show.  She said the same thing about her own show back in the day and how Columbine just sent her off the rails and that is how it happened that her gun control rant with Tom Selleck ended up happening.  We all like to say we can separate our personal from our professional and no one does it 100% effectively, but Rosie seems to be incredibly poor at leaving home at home.  She is someone who just seems to feel and experience things deeply and then reacts accordingly.  While that probably makes her a better performer or actress, I don't think it's a benefit here.  She seems unable to not lash out when things are going on in her personal, private life.  Just an observation.  

• Love 2

I read the article and it just doesn't seem smart to me and I always assumed Rosie was nothing but smart.  Rosie didn't need to take pot shots at the old hosts to say the new show is different.  

Really because I think it is less about what Rosie said and more about the former host saying that she did not know the Earth is Round. Rosie is intelligent and compassionate and that comes out in all aspects of her life.

• Love 5

Really because I think it is less about what Rosie said and more about the former host saying that she did not know the Earth is Round. Rosie is intelligent and compassionate and that comes out in all aspects of her life.

IMO, no need to bring it back up.  I think it showed a level of pot stirring that I hoped that Rosie was beyond.  I love Rosie and am so glad she's back on The View, however I do think she is like a moth to a flame when it comes to drama.  What Sherri said was stupid, stupid, stupid and no one is questioning that, but what Rosie said in my opinion was mean.  Elisabeth deserves what she gets in my opinion since she is often willing to take a pot shot at Rosie as well, but I thought it was just callous to make specific reference to a comment that highlighted a lack of education on Sherri's part.  Sure, it was a fact, but she didn't have to bring it up to highlight that the new show was gonna be different, be smarter.  

Only my opinion.  I've stated it and I am taking the sage advice of our moderators and moving along.  

• Love 3

thought it was just callous to make specific reference to a comment that highlighted a lack of education on Sherri's part.  Sure, it was a fact, but she didn't have to bring it up to highlight that the new show was gonna be different, be smarter.

Sure she should bring it up to highlight the new show is different and smarter.  It's fair game.  This is the big league.  A live morning talk show on a major network.  No one with a lack of education had any business being there in the first place (yet for seven years - someone was asleep at the wheel on that one) but if they are, then what they say on that show is fair game for all.  They all know it's part of the 'biz.  If you can't take the heat...

Rosie had every right to mention anything she wanted in that interview.  But alas, she probably did Sherri a favor.  As with Bitsy, Rosie is the favor that Bitsy just won't stop taking and taking and taking from.  It's tiresome.  But it's all she's got if she wants to keep putting her name out there. And by the way, gee, isn't it nice of Elisabeth to never make negative comments about Rosie?

I think it's pretty pathetic for the rejects to resort to using Rosie's name for their own relevance.  But to stay in the 'biz, I guess you gotta do what you gotta do, however pathetic it is.   

I like that Rosie doesn't care about them.  She doesn't need to.  Looking forward to her interview tomorrow with her good friend, Barbra Streisand.

Edited by Dreamboat Annie
  • Love 8

Personally, if I want to hear Roger Ailes' morning faxblast talking points, I'd watch Fox.  And what made Bitsy even worse was her word salad and inability to articulate anything further when she parroted them.  I don't blame Ro for bringing it up again, because it was tiresome and highly irritating.  At least with some folks on Fox, like say Charles Krauthammer ;) they have the intelligence to back up the shenanigans in a non-debate (since it's just an echo chamber over there).

• Love 5

Personally, I loved Rosie's interview and I think she was only saying what many viewers have been thinking at home for several years.

Btw, I just wanted to mention how, during yesterday's show I believe, Rosie was talking about her experience as a mother (my ears were ready to bleed) and began her thought by saying she did not think her experience was representative of all mothers. So wonderful to have moved past the daily generalizations of the most recently ousted co-host. This year may not end up being perfect, but to say it's smarter is a fact from what I've seen so far.

• Love 5

Rosie will be featured on American Masters this Tuesday on PBS.  It's called The Boomer list, and features other baby boomers.  I usually love American Masters, but this one sounds like a real dud, and the list seems a little rag tag.

What's with Rosie's repeated mentioning of "Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue," a DVD from 4-5 years ago?  Any insight?  Anyone?  Anyone?

It's a video her daughter LOVES and Rosie has always shared with enthusiasm anything that she loves.  

Because it's amusing to watch a 52 year old woman enthuse about Tinkerbell.  Nothing secret about that.  When a comedian jokes about something then references it again later in a different context, it's called a callback and it's funny.

• Love 1