Type keyword(s) to search

Rosie O'Donnell: She's Back! (Bite it, Bitsy!)

Jaded
  • Start Topic

They were divorced from their husbands after many years and their next relationships were lesbian relationships.  Their families were shocked.  So, Michelle may have come to this realization later on in life, or not

Michelle sounds more like Anne Heche 2.0. 

And as many before me have said, after Friday this show will be deleted from my DVR.

• Love 7

I am very sad to see Rosie go also. I understand why she is and would do the same in her place. I think I am done with this show too after this coming week. We got to see what the show could be when Whoopi was out sick. I don't care to watch "Whoopi knows best".

• Love 16

I think Whoopi gets the comments here she absolutely deserves. If Rosie O wants to be classy and not point fingers, more power to her, especially since she's leaving the show to escape the stress and not drag it out with her. Anyone who's watched the show knows what happened this year, and fabricated media spins won't change that.

• Love 13

Actually, I kind of think she should get back with her first partner. They could probably make a go of it again.

I believe that Kelli has moved on and is now married to another woman. IIRC, her kids with Rosie attended the wedding. (It sounds like Kelli was an active parent to them and maintained contact and shared custody with Rosie.) When she discussed it on her website at the time, Rosie sounded like she wished Kelli the best and that they had both moved on in good ways.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 2

I just spent the last hour trying to get that same point.  I don't want to give an opinion on the twitter discussion and the merits.  What i learned is that  WOC have issues with the movement that Eve Ensler created.   There issues are around the differences between how WOC have been abused/marginalized and how white women have been abused.  From my brief review of this, the argument is that white women are abused by people they know, such as family etc.  WOC are abused by the institutions, government, etc.  They characterize this differently than what I am saying here. 

There is a young woman who engaged with Rosie in a twitter dialogue about this topic, and this is where this started.  I don't think Rosie did well in this conversation.  How about asking some questions to understand?  I may not agree with this young feminist who is representing a perspective I have never heard, but I would think that I would like to understand more about her perspective.  That is what life is about, let's understand more about each other.  I have since read a bit about this young woman, and she is impressive, but I am not sure I agree with her perspective completely, but it is her experience.  I think Rosie was quite wrong here, not in her views but in her approach.

I too read the exchange between Rosie and the young woman.  To me, Rosie kind of went on the defensive instead of asking this young woman questions.  Rosie came off like someone who says, "I know more about black women than you," and she's talking to a black woman.  

• Love 3

^^^That is what she did to Whoopi during the race discussion.

I have to disagree.

RO was talking about the number of young men of color that are killed, it is huge as compared to white counterparts. Whoopi wouldn't hear it. She kept insisting that all young men are at risk of being killed by cops. And while yes, anyone can be hurt by a bad cop, young men of color have a bigger target. WG didn't like RO making valid points so it became, an argument that WG knew better. And she might, but her point was ridiculous because they were speaking of the situation in Ferguson.

That is the conversation I remember I'm there have been others.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 11

The argument that I was thinking of when I read (and upvoted) that post was from December, and was about a news story that President Obama had been mistaken for waiter/hired help in the past:

http://www.thewrap.com/abc-the-view-goldberg-odonnell-shouting-match-racism-video/

OK thanks, I remember that.

I still think WG was wrong. Racism comes in different forms, not just someone screaming in your face.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 4

The View is taping double on 2 days this week. So, one of them will air on Monday, President's Day. Since this is supposed to be Rosie's last week, I wonder if she'll tape the one to air Monday. I wonder if anyone will give that a thought.

Yes it was the more recent bit about racism, not the Ferguson mess. I wonder if people would have the same reaction towards Michelle Obama if Rosie tried to school her on racism? If Michelle Obama had had the same reaction as Whoopi? I think Rosie can empathize with black people but she can't experience what they do. And I think that was Whoopi's point. I can empathize and recognize when someone is being biased towards homosexuals, but I can't know what the homosexual experiences when it happens. Even if I have a child that is homosexual, I can't experience what they have happen. If that makes sense, I am terrible at analogies and debates!

I get what you're saying.

I am a person of color. I think what annoyed me was, that WG thinks she speaks for every person of color. So, IMO racism can be as simple as crossing the street when a poc is there, to as heinous as a violent crime. It's not just one thing to every person it can be complex to each poc. Of course in typical WG fashion it was only her opinion that counted. I clearly dislike WG so I'm biased. I'm sure I'd listen to what Michelle Obama had to say with a more open mind. That's my bad though. :)

• Love 14

Imjagain It is the open and honest responses like yours that keeps me coming back to the thread. Maybe all of us posters should try out for The View opening?

Wow,Thank you.

I agree there are many, many posters on this thread that I would glady listen to speak on many topics. Great people on here with smarts and hearts.

• Love 3

I am sad about RO's leaving.  I would hope she could go over to HGTV and create a few craft shows--thus saving us from the plethora of house buying and major remodeling shows.  RO could have special guest stars on to craft with her. 

• Love 4

I don't believe Rosie's "issues" bled into the workplace.  Or that she "latches onto people" for love and acceptance.  She's 53 soon, in show business and has been married once (the first marriage was not considered legal due to overturned laws).  That's nothing in comparison to many others.  She may be a complex person (she freely admits to that) in her personal life but she is anything but that on the show.  What I see is a soft spoken, compassionate, talented, content person great with all the guests trying to voice an opinion when she's permitted, and basically happy to listen to everyone else voice theirs.  No anger, no lashing out, no bullying, no yelling.  If anyone is angry, it's Whoopi.  If anyone yells, it's Whoopi.  If anyone lashes out, it's Whoopi.  If anyone has a problem dealing with a dissenting opinion, it's Whoopi.  If anyone is a bully, it's Whoopi.  If anyone is passive aggressive, it's Whoopi. 

I hold the Daily Mail in such low regard, scumbag levels.  Always have.  Not long after the beginning of the season, someone linked an article from there.  The attacks on Rosie were even worse than what I would expect from that rag.  Not just offensive, but violently offensive.  Uncalled for.  So unfair that I had to respond, even though I know that reasonable people are above it but we all have weak moments.  I responded with one comment, and one comment only.  It was obvious none of those hundreds of posters had even seen any of the new season.  I was not even all that complimentary towards Rosie.  Just what I thought was fair.  And guess what?  I was accused of being Rosie.  After only one comment.  They love St. Whoopi over there, because maybe she sent out a few flunkies when she was there for the premiere of the stage version of Sister Act to hand out a few signed programmes for a few minutes. 

Rosie was fine at work.  Wonderful actually.  She's the best interviewer they could ask for, she's amazing with all guests, whether they be 2 or 92, she's happy and has fun with it while being a natural at it, she's incredibly entertaining, she willingly stepped in as moderator when Whoopi was out, which only meant more work for her, and I don't think it can be denied how great she was at it.  Whoopi is a horrendous moderator.  If anyone else proved to be that incompetent performing at their jobs they'd be dismissed.  Out on their stoned asses. 

I don't see anyone here blaming Whoopi for anyone's issues.  Nor do I see anyone taking Whoopi seriously.  ABC and The View producers probably should, though.  Because many just take her with eye rolls, and too many eye rolls mean viewers stop watching. 

I don't recall anyone here thinking Rosie is owed Whoopi stepping aside and letting Rosie become the moderator.  Rosie has always been fine with Whoopi as moderator.  Anyone who thinks she secretly coveted it or wished to take it over from Whoopi is making that up in their head.  I could see Rosie herself being horrified at the possibility.  Can you just imagine?  I hate to.  I'm sure she knows the very mildest things that would be said are things like:  How dare that fat loudmouth lesbian liberal bully oust that darling St. Whoopi from her seat as moderator??  How dare she??  I'm not watching that horrible show with that horrible loudmouth lesbian bully ever again!!  -   And that's the nicest it would get and she knows it.

The naïve innocent in me hopes this is strategic.  Rosie is the best thing that could happen to ABC.  There's still six months to the end of this awful season.  If she leaves now, the show can crash and burn, self destruct.  And Rosie's not the reason for the ousting of St. Whoopi.  Enough time will have passed, and Rosie can come back with her own show.  I know it takes several years to develop a show but I'd be happy with any show new or not with her as the lead.  I know that's nothing but hopeful thinking on my part.  Who am I kidding - after all, this is a network that kept EH there for ten years and Sherri for seven.  

I'm glad Rosie didn't announce this news on the show.  The show does not deserve the scoop.  Those dolts sat back and allowed the shabby treatment to not only continue but get progressively worse.  I can't believe she stayed this long.  She has enormous star power and has long achieved the point in her career where she does not have to take that. 

Good for her for leaving, bad for us though :( .  If I were her, there's no question I'd put my health and my children first.  She knows she's lucky to be able to do that and has publicly acknowledged as much.

I always strongly suspected I'd lose all interest in the show if she left, and now I know for sure that I couldn't care less what any of the others have to say about anything. 

• Love 23

I hope that if the separation is permanent, that she just takes time to focus on her kids and not get into another relationship. Actually, I kind of think she should get back with her first partner. They could probably make a go of it again. 

Rosie's first wife is re-married to a cabaret singer named Anne Steele and based on Kelli and Anne's twitter posts they are very happy. I'm just glad the older kids have one stable house to go to.

• Love 1

The View is taping double on 2 days this week. So, one of them will air on Monday, President's Day. Since this is supposed to be Rosie's last week, I wonder if she'll tape the one to air Monday. I wonder if anyone will give that a thought.

I'll be surprised if she shows up at all.  Maybe just long enough to promote her HBO show on Saturday.

And wear that red dress for the pre-taped Friday VD show.

Edited by SanDiegoInExile

Bravo Dreamboat Annie.  You wrote my thoughts and so to the point.

Anyone with heart issues, which I have too, knows that stress is a major trigger for heart problems.  I can't imagine a daily dose of  unjustified media bashing not crushing my soul and sending me into arrest.  In my view, ABC needed Rosie O this season to bring up the falling ratings, which happened initially according to the caustic news articles.  If they flattened then maybe they should look at the rest of the scintillating panel and don't forget to feed the Daily Mail about them too.

• Love 8

Ditto Dreamboat Annie!

And I'll add that before Rosie came back, any time Whoopi opened Her big fat mouth, there were a number of articles calling her out and mocking her for it. I guess Rosie is just an easier target-on the internets social media, and yes, even here.

I don't want to be mean or to get personal, but someone stated how the arguments Rosie and Whoopi had were a minor inconvenience and no reason for Rosie to leave (in the show thread), which just made me shake my head.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 8

I don't want or mean to get personal, but someone stated how the arguments Rosie and Whoopi had were a minor inconvenience and no reason for Rosie to leave (in the show thread), which just made me shake my head.

There is a certain amount of  "Suck it up, buttercup" to this line of thought, which is valid.  I think it depends on how you look at life in general, your personal experiences, and personal history all of which help form opinions.  That's part of why I enjoy reading what everybody else thinks.  If we all said and thought the exact same way, what a bore.

I don't believe Rosie's "issues" bled into the workplace.  Or that she "latches onto people" for love and acceptance.  She's 53 soon, in show business and has been married once (the first marriage was not considered legal due to overturned laws).  That's nothing in comparison to many others.  She may be a complex person (she freely admits to that) in her personal life but she is anything but that on the show.  What I see is a soft spoken, compassionate, talented, content person great with all the guests trying to voice an opinion when she's permitted, and basically happy to listen to everyone else voice theirs.

I don't know, I just don't see this "Saint Rosie" that you describe.  I don't like Whoopi  at all, but I don't think Rosie's an angel.  She's a complicated person, it's just that she isn't in your face the same way Whoopi is.  I think Rosie just stepped down because she doesn't need the stress.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 3

The naïve innocent in me hopes this is strategic.  Rosie is the best thing that could happen to ABC.  There's still six months to the end of this awful season.  If she leaves now, the show can crash and burn, self destruct.  And Rosie's not the reason for the ousting of St. Whoopi.  Enough time will have passed, and Rosie can come back with her own show.  I know it takes several years to develop a show but I'd be happy with any show new or not with her as the lead.

I don't know, but I hope you're right. I had also had a naive thought that maybe they would wait until Whoopi's contract is up to invite her back. Either way, I think she'd be great with a crafting show, or just an interview show. Maybe it would be less stressful, too, to take a break from the daily social issues in the news.

I was dreading what Wendy Williams would say about it, but she wasn't too bad actually. By her standards, I mean. And I already knew The Talk would not acknowledge it. I don't think The Real would, but I don't know enough about the show to tell.

I just don't think there's much of an audience for Rosie anymore.  God knows she has her hardcore haters and fans, but do people outside of those groups care?  Sure there are a lot of excuses why her OWN show failed and why she didn't bring in viewers when she started on the View and had a couple weeks as moderator, but maybe, just maybe, some fault lies with Rosie. 

I think her next show should be on the internet, it would be less pressure and she could continuously change the format of her show when the whim strikes her.

Edited by junemeatcleaver
  • Love 2

From an article linked on the "Week of" thread, there were a lot of arguments with not just Whoopi, but with producers and other people behind the scenes. In fact, as I maintain, Whoopi was the least of it. And apparently Rosie is not the easiest person to work with. I doubt that the producers of The View would want to hire Rosie for a third time.

She has broken her contract twice. Why would they expect she would stay this time? 

Edited to add the link: 

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/inside-rosie-odonnells-dramatic-exit-from-the-view-exclusive-1201427993/

Edited by CousinAmy
  • Love 1

From an article linked on the "Week of" thread, there were a lot of arguments with not just Whoopi, but with producers and other people behind the scenes. In fact, as I maintain, Whoopi was the least of it. And apparently Rosie is not the easiest person to work with. I doubt that the producers of The View would want to hire Rosie for a third time.

She has broken her contract twice. Why would they expect she would stay this time? 

Edited to add the link: 

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/inside-rosie-odonnells-dramatic-exit-from-the-view-exclusive-1201427993/

I have no idea what her contract terms were  - maybe there was an out clause for all I know.  But if this article is to be believed ( and parts of it do sound believable to me - like Whoopi bitching about coming to work a half hour earlier to you know, prepare for the show, and just like the table and chairs, she got that reversed too)  RO had a 11 month $5million contract.  That means, she just gave up $2.5 million to leave.  That's serious money, even to someone like RO.  I trust that she is putting her health first.  

• Love 5

To say she's "broken" her contract would imply that she lawyered up to get out of terms she agreed to. But the contract was written so she could leave at any time and according to several articles, ABC let her out of any contractual obligations both times. She also gave up some of the money to be paid to her for the complete season this year (I couldn't say if she gave up money the last time).

Knowing that she sacrificed 2+ million to leave, now I'm certain she wasn't fired.

• Love 2

There was an article saying they were both told to make it work (or everyone's fired), but considering Whoopi was personally insulting her only last Thursday, it was clear nothing was going to change with the left side of the table. I think that's why she gave up trying and left.

• Love 8

Listening to Neil Patrick Harris's memoir and he says when he made Clara's Heart that Whoopi Goldberg was wonderful to him, showing him the ropes, making him feel welcome, etc.  That's the Whoopi I wish we saw on The View.  Everyone who has worked with her really seems to like her.  Poor fit as talk show moderator.

• Love 4

Way back in the early 90s, Whoopi had her own talk show. A half hour, one guest. She was great - thoughtful, funny, engaging. Sort of like Joy's late, great talk show on HLN. There's something about the View format she doesn't like. But she must be doing it the producers' satisfaction because they keep her.

There hasn't been a co-star of Whoopi's who appeared on this show and hasn't greeted Whoopi with a warm hug and lovely words. She must be good to work with on set.

• Love 1

RO had a 11 month $5million contract.  That means, she just gave up $2.5 million to leave.  That's serious money, even to someone like RO

Actually $2.5 million is not much money for Ro. She walked away from $50 million to stay on her old show. And she invested $10 million of her own money in the Boy George Taboo Musical that failed.

• Love 2

Yep, Rosie has plenty of what we call "f.u. money" (ie enough in the bank to be able to say f.u. to jobs we hate.)

It begs the question, given her past experience, why did she sign up for another round? She has admitted she is addicted to fame. Not a bad thing, many of us would love it too, and at least she earned hers. And she recognizes it, also a healthy thing.

• Love 1

It begs the question, given her past experience, why did she sign up for another round? She has admitted she is addicted to fame. Not a bad thing, many of us would love it too, and at least she earned hers. And she recognizes it, also a healthy thing.

You answered your question. Addicted to fame. Also, I believe she honestly thought that this time around was going to be different. I thought it would be as well. I don't think she'll be coming back a third time. Then again, I didn't think she'd be back for a second round at the View. 

• Love 3

Yep, Rosie has plenty of what we call "f.u. money" (ie enough in the bank to be able to say f.u. to jobs we hate.)

I think she honestly thought that she could rescue the show.  I think she has enough respect for BW that she wanted to keep her legacy going, and to make it so much better than what it had faded into with the ridiculousness of JM and SS.  It didn't work because nobody knew that Whoopi would suddenly wake up and be so extraordinarily skeevy about things like BIll Cosby and generally nasty all around, bullying her co-hosts and the audience.

• Love 13

Having free time is actually terrible for your mental health.  So I think Rosie saw The View as kind of a part time job, keep her active and in the public eye, while she is part of a team and other people did the heavy lifting.  Then her star power wasn't enough for the rating, which has got to hurt, and Whoopi was more domineering than she imagined while the backstage crew apparently was in disarray.  I can see why she tried and why she is leaving.

She should host The Daily Show!  Jk, can you even imagine how crazy she'd go watching that many Fox News clips?  She'd kill someone and chew soooo much gum.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 3

That's not a bad idea, but what's the saying, Wherever you go, there you are. Rosie would have to be in complete control, and not have anyone over her. Because she has a history of chafing under a producer's interference. Wherever she goes, she'll be the one constant.

• Love 1

IDK - but isn't RO raising a family during difficult personal times, doing charity including her Broadway Kids? And making the documentary on HBO Valentines Day? 

And keeping up on the pulse if those in need.....and those that overcome that?

• Love 4

Was anyone brave enough to watch Fox & Friends yesterday to see what Bits & her crew said about Rosie's departure? 

(Not sure if this question belongs here or in the Former Hosts forum)

I can only take F&F in small doses but in the statistical sample I took in the past few days, they have not discussed Rosie at all (and they usually rant about stuff several times in a show. For example, they complained at least twice on Monday that Pharrell's performance at the Grammy's referenced "hands up don't shoot" but failed to mention the grand jury's findings. I couldn't make this up.)

I think Bits may have gotten in some sort of trouble the last time. Remember her "explanation" of her Rosie comments on Instagram? Maybe the bosses told them to just let this slide.

• Love 1

nobody knew that Whoopi would suddenly wake up and be so extraordinarily skeevy about things like BIll Cosby

People were surprised that Whoopi was "skeevy" about Bill Cosby when she coined the term "rape-rape" and hasn't met a famous man she refuses to defend?  If Rosie was shocked by this, then she really didn't do her homework.

• Love 2

I watched The (Dead Mother's) Club, which I thought was awful except for the parts with Rosie and Molly Shannon, and I was shocked at how bad Rosie looked VS what I am used to her looking like now.  And I can't believe I doubted the posters here who said she had her eyes done, it seems so obvious to me now.