Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E08: Droop

• Start Topic

The queens must create and market ridiculously extravagant products, for the new drag queen lifestyle brand “Droop." Chaka Khan guest judges. Personal trainer Bob Harper makes a guest appearance.

Airs April 17, 2020.

Bob Harper is who I would do for a drag kings version of Snatch Game. Lots of "sponsored" name-drops of low-calorie alternatives to our cravings. "If you're really wanting a rich dessert, why not try one of these one-and-a-half calorie Tic Tacs?"

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

There was not one bad look on that runway tonight!  Wow, was that an impressive show!  I especially loved Crystal’s, which was a cross between Detox and Jinkx, and yet all uniquely Crystal.  Widow looked great, Gigi was stunning, SP looked wonderful, Jaida was gorgeous, and Heidi impressed.

• Love 10

Bleh.  Two weeks in a row, Jan got screwed.  Last week, she should have been the challenge winner because she was the best of the week.  This week, she was booted even though she clearly wasn't the worst performer in the challenge.  Not great, but not the worst either.  I hope she gets a spot on the next all stars season, and gets a fair shake for a change.

It's a shame, because the queens this season are generally so strong, but this season is being ruined by Sherry Pie's off-screen antics and RuPaul's questionable decisions.

Edited by me5671
  • Love 16

Widow channeled Chaka Khan. Poor, sad, overeager Jan was just buzzing around the Widow like a gnat, but there was no way she could pull focus. I probably would have put Gigi below Sherry and Jan, but I don’t think Ru is ready to risk losing Gigi this early. 

• Love 9

Last week Jan was robbed and this week she got the boot.  I can’t help but believe that for whatever reason they didn’t like her.  While she wasn’t the best, she most certainly didn’t belong in the bottom two.

• Useful 1
  • Love 16

I started this season loving Jan, but she is somehow both too much and not enough at the same time.  She doesn’t have Gigi’s stylish cool, Crystal’s quirky  sweetness, Jaida’s sexuality, or Heidi’s charm.  She’s got all the right enough looks, but never any “WOW!” looks (her closest to a wow look was last week’s where she simply had to copy a Michelle Visage look); her talent is definitely there, but it just never popped.  She’s cute, she’s talented, she’s a great queen.  But...and YMMV here...she’s not a star.

I also think Miss Congeniality will be either Heidi or Crystal, and my bet is on Crystal.

It’s a shame that Sherry Pie turned out to be a Sexual Predator, because she has talent.  Gigi does, as well.  And so does Crystal.  I’m meh on the rest, although I do like Jaida and Heidi a lot.

• Love 18

The editing with Jan tonight felt like one of those “obvious foreshadowing” edits where you can guess who’s going in the first fifteen minutes.  There was sooooooo much with Jan going on and on about Brita leaving I felt like either A) Sherry Pie had done so much of the talking on this episode that the only thing they had to fill in the gaps of editing out Sherry was just too much Jan blubbering over Brita— or B) they were setting up Jan following Brita out the door.

On the happier side, Heidi had me rolling:  the tears kept giving me the giggles but the hair loss thing at the end just took it to the perfect place.  I’m so glad she won.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I certainly recognized more of what others have disliked about Jan this week.  When she got an edit that hammered the try-hard of it all bluntly enough for me to agree, I started worrying.  I think she had more to give on the show, but the profile lift she's gotten isn't nothing.  I'll certainly look for opportunities to see her near home.

Heidi and Jaida are giving me life.  They're both continuing to impress me and seem very versatile.  I'm really enjoying Jackie too, although maybe she has shown fewer sides.  Crystal is also a delight, although I felt robbed of a "rhythm of the night" moment this week.  I would be very happy to see them as the top four, although I believe that is unlikely.  Gigi, while definitely skilled and not an unpleasant personality, just isn't someone I've connected with.  Widow might be doing better without such stiff competition, but maybe her pep talk this week will really help her out.

Side note: does anyone else watch on VH1's website?  The A/V sync is absolutely terrible, even if I refresh the feed every five minutes or more often.  I'm trying to keep a sense of normalcy and enjoy it live on Friday night as I often would out with friends, but the lousy tech is making things pretty difficult to tolerate.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

What's the Drag Race equivalent of killer fatigue? Because that seemed to be hitting some of the queens hard this week. I like Jan, wanted her to win last week, but man, I could smell the desperation coming off her tonight. Though it is true her presence needs some work—the talent is there, it's just that the overenthusiastic chorus girl persona gets in her way. Hopefully she can find her focus, come back as an All-Star, and really give us a show.

• Love 11

Bob Harper is surely in the running for the worst guest of all time; he was a complete hindrance while directing the infomercials. Usually it makes sense for the director to give feedback on the judging panel, but his confusion/ignorance wouldn't have added much. .

Widow's confidence slowly recharging while in the presence of Chaka Khan during Untucked was a thing of beauty.

Jan's cartwheels of desperation during the lip-synch were a perfect summation of her run on the show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 17
2 hours ago, Fake Jan Brady said:

Bob Harper is surely in the running for the worst guest of all time; he was a complete hindrance while directing the infomercials. Usually it makes sense for the director to give feedback on the judging panel, but his confusion/ignorance wouldn't have added much. .

Widow's confidence slowly recharging while in the presence of Chaka Khan during Untucked was a thing of beauty.

Jan's cartwheels of desperation during the lip-synch were a perfect summation of her run on the show.

The only good thing Bob did was tell Heidi to be funny during filming, not just between takes.  She was hysterical and deserved the win.  The others in the top 4, Jaida, Crystal and Jackie were also great and a case could have been made for Jaida or Crystal to have won.  

It doesn’t hurt for Gigi to be reminded she has some weaknesses.   We’ll see if she reacts better than Jan.   

Jan, Jan, Jan.  She can sing and dance and is really pretty, but last week she couldn’t embody Madonna and this week she didn’t do a character, just a single note Jan.   And in the lip sync, she wasn’t connecting to the lyrics like Widow was.     She was just doing all the dance steps and tricks she knew.    Maybe she thought that would wow the judges like Gigi’s backflip last week, but Gigi did that during a routine that was all in character.   

Maybe she isn’t meant to be a performer?   In school, some people thought I would grow up to be an artist, but I knewI was a superb copyist, and I didn’t have that spark of originality I would need to do art as a career.   Just because we love something and are good at it doesn’t mean we’ll ever be great. 

Edited by DEL901
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

I liked Jackie's runway dress. Her merkin ad was HILARIOUS.

Jan's feathers were a bit too much. I think the dress would have been just as dramatic without it. Her Sure Jan spray ad needed to be tightened up and focused a little more.

Jaida's dress as nothing earth shattering but she looked gorgeous in it. Her luxuratuck ad was funny and she made it clear what her product was and how it worked.

Gigi's silhouette was beautiful. Her infomercial was boring and her line readings were very stilted/awkward.

Sherry's look was a little too Mrs. Havisham for my taste. Her aura pie ad didn't explain what it really did.

Heidi's runway look was fine but not memorable. Her ad was funny and I liked that she used a lot of different types of jokes.

Widow's runway look was too matronly. It's okay to show a little skin! I agreed with the judges about her ad. She was mostly just sitting and talking without jokes or joy.

Crystal's undead bride was hilarious and awesome. Her magic mullet ad was so funny. She had just the right amount of cheese and silliness.

I would have given the win to Crystal instead of Heidi. Her ad was great and her runway look (makeup and dress) was stunning.

I noticed that not a single queen named Gigi or Sherry as who should be in the bottom because they all knew that Ru wouldn't put either of them in the bottom.

Jan shouldn't have been eliminated because she shouldn't have been in the bottom two because she did not have one of the two worst ads.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 10

I thought both Gigi and Sherry Pie deserved to be in the bottom two over Jan, but Gigi’s commercial was definitely second worst. I guess Ru knew that Widow would likely slay a lip synch to a song by her idol Chaka Kahn and didn’t want to risk having to send Gigi home. For whatever reason, the judges didn’t really enjoy Jan throughout the her run, but Gigi has had some truly great moments, so I get why Ru saved her this week. 

Still, I feel bad for Jan. She tries so hard and just doesn’t get that it’s all that trying that makes her fail. I hope she comes back for All Stars and shines like Trinity the Tuck did. In her original season, Trinity also had that “tries too hard” problem, so Jan should look to her as a model for the future. 

• Love 8

Jan’s cartwheels of desperation during the lip-synch were a perfect summation of her run on the show.

Can I just say I love your phrase “cartwheels of desperation”?  

If Jan ever decides to write an autobiography—or needs a name for a band— that’s what she should call it.

• LOL 3
  • Love 12

I finally figured out the reason I'm not too hot on Jackie Cox's drag is because I'm too attracted to Jacking Cox out of drag. Anyway...

Widow's lip sync was too good to let go. Jan gives a lot of energy and emotion, so I'm sure the producers would be happy to bring Jan back for All-Stars, and I'm sure she'd accept in a heart beat.

• Love 3

I don't want to see Widow any more. I am tired of her. I liked Jan, even if she was a try-hard. She is sporty and clean and pretty. I can't remember even one unique look that Widow has presented...she just...so...generic. 

• Love 9
13 hours ago, bobbyjoe said:

The editing with Jan tonight felt like one of those “obvious foreshadowing” edits where you can guess who’s going in the first fifteen minutes. 

I agree,  as was the editing with Widow.  I knew she was going to be in the bottom but not go home.   There were a couple of comments made about hitting rick bottom and then flourishing that makes me think Widow will be safe for awhile.

2 hours ago, bobbyjoe said:

Can I just say I love your phrase “cartwheels of desperation”?  

If Jan ever decides to write an autobiography—or needs a name for a band— that’s what she should call it.

Cartwheels of Desperation will be playing Coachella in 2021.

Oh, Jan, you will be missed (by me al least—he’s so cute as a boy!) Jan looked gorgeous in that black gown, but after she took it off, in the workroom to pack up her things—wow, I saw a glamorous Broadway baby. 

• Love 3

I have to say that I've been enjoying watching some of the underdogs this season rise up and take the "I've already got this crown" pros by surprise. At least that's how it's coming off to me. Jaida and Heidi are pulling ahead of Jan, Brita, Widow and Sherry. Didn't expect that. I thought I knew who the top four would be, and now I'm not so sure. I was really happy for Heidi too. I'm so glad they showed so much of her crying during the filming of the commercial because a lot of it was edited out and yet it was hysterical.

Maybe it's because there's so much less focus on Sherry now, but from what we're seeing I'm really not that impressed with her. Some of her runway looks are pretty good, but I don't find her to be especially warm or endearing. Her commercial just felt inert.

I keep getting DeBarge and the Persian confused. 🙄 I swear, sometimes I can't even tell these Queens apart or remember them by name until after I've watched the whole season and then stumble upon a YouTube clip later and go "ooooooh - now I recognize you!"

I really wanted Jan to stay but figured Widow would rock the lip sync. I also love the expression "cartwheels of desperation" 😂 I kind of figured Jan was going to throw stuff like that in once it became clear the song wasn't especially her vibe. Hopefully she'll go on to better things in all-stars. I wouldn't put her up for Miss Congeniality though. I feel like Heidi or DeBarge might get that title. Have they ever given Miss Congeniality to a top three or top four contestant? Like, if you're in the finale does that disqualify you from the Miss Congeniality award because you could potentially win the whole thing?

....speaking of which, what are they going to do for the finale? They can't just leave the season incomplete for months on end (especially since they want to go ahead with airing All Stars soon after) but they obviously can't get a big group of people together either. Is this going to be like season 1, where only the judges and the final competitors are in studio together? Is that even legal right now? Or will they just announce the winner over Skype after having them lip sync live before the world?

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, After7Only said:

I agree,  as was the editing with Widow.  I knew she was going to be in the bottom but not go home.   There were a couple of comments made about hitting rick bottom and then flourishing that makes me think Widow will be safe for awhile.

I don’t know...I like Widow, but I think she’s going soon.  After discounting SP, who we know doesn’t have the opportunity to win, there are only 6 queens left.  Gigi is almost a lock for Final Four.  I think Jaida is, too.  Ru is almost as obsessed with Crystal as I am, and her growth has been phenomenal, so I think she’s there.  And I believe either Jackie (most likely...Ru loves the family estrangement/reunification stories that she would bring) or Heidi (less likely) will round that out.  That would put Widow out next, because there’s no one else.  In fact, I’m betting Crystal, Jaida, or Jackie is number five and gets boosted due to Sherry being DQed.

• Love 2

I'll admit it:

1. I thought Jan absolutely belonged in the bottom two with Widow. Jan, Sherry and Gigi all failed to make me laugh - but Sherry and Gigi weren't painful to watch. Jan was. (And I say this as someone who's been rooting for Jan all along.)

2. Crystal is very cute and sweet, but I didn't think her ad was anywhere near the level of Heidi's, Jackie's or Jaida's.

Crystal seems like she's being held to a lower standard than any of the other contestants. And if anyone should be held to a lower standard, it's Heidi, because she made $9,000 last year. And she still manages to have some absolutely fabulous outfits.

• Love 7

Jan is wound up too tight for this show.  During this whole episode she looked about to freak out. The maniacal laughter heh-heh, heh-heh! and crying, but what really did her in was her product that could make everyone perfect, like her!!  That is crazy-talk, right there. 

And she did the LSFYL all wrong -- some songs don't need cartwheels.  It would have been better if she stood and emoted, as Widow did.  

Jaida continues to impress me -- she is beautiful and funny and has great physicality in her comedy.

Good for Heidi for getting the win, but I don't think she deserved it, not with that runway makeup.  I would have given the win to Jaida. 

• Love 7

I guess I'm the only one, but I thought Jan won that lip sync. I was hoping for no elimination this week, because of course they weren't going to get rid of Widow after all that carrying on.

Am I also the only one underwhelmed by Chaka Khan as guest judge?  She seemed sedated.

ETA: Love that Michelle referred to Jaida as the competition's dark horse, I so agree. I also agree there was not a bad look on the runway, might be one of the best they've had.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 9
11 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I liked Jackie's runway dress. Her merkin ad was HILARIOUS.

I didn't know what a merkin was before watching this, but I certainly knew after watching Jackie's commercial. How the heck did Chaka Khan not know?! Does the guest judge not watch the maxi challenge?

BTW, i agree with above poster who was underwhelmed by Chaka Khan. She didn't do much critiquing at all and hardly got any camera time for that reason. She was dry and short with her comments.

11 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Heidi's runway look was fine but not memorable. Her ad was funny and I liked that she used a lot of different types of jokes.

I might be the only person that did not like Heidi's infomercial. She does slapstick/obnoxious humor, which I'm not a fan of. I prefer my humor subtle, the type that leaves people wondering or might just go over some's heads.

But Heidi is all, "Fart joke, anyone?"

The girl wasn't even able to come up with the title Heidi's Hydration. She stole it from Rupaul. But what do I expect from someone who thinks the drag name Heidi N. Closet is clever?

(Crystal Methyd better not come up with fart jokes, too, because I'm not too fond of her name either!)

• Love 4

Finally, I’m caught up on this season and able to comment.

There’s a strange disconnect for me this season, because I feel that as a group, these may be among the most talented queens ever to appear on the show. Yet, most of the challenges have left me underwhelmed. This week was no exception. I didn’t think any of the infomercials were that great, but I blame that on Bob “Why am I Here?” Harper. 

That said, I’m happy Heidi got a win because I find her adorable and she deserved some accolades for a change. (I also thought she kicked ass in the Madonna challenge,FWIW.)

8 hours ago, Just Carol said:

Jan is wound up too tight for this show... And she did the LSFYL all wrong -- some songs don't need cartwheels.  It would have been better if she stood and emoted, as Widow did.  

She even admitted she was throwing every trick she had out there, hoping that something would land. That’s the kind of desperation that always backfires. Widow was able to draw from a deeper pool of self-confidence, which helped her win. Personally, I like both of them and was kind of hoping for a non-elimination week. 

It was weird to hear that Gigi and Sherry are always in the top, because aside from the one win, Sherry has been a safe ghost. There must have been many compliments that were excised, and thank you Editing Gods for that.

10 hours ago, Marmiarmo said:

due to Sherry being DQed.

I first read this as Sherry being Dairy Queened, which I assume is either 1) her next job, or 2) the only title she’ll ever have a chance of winning.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

It was weird to hear that Gigi and Sherry are always in the top, because aside from the one win, Sherry has been a safe ghost. There must have been many compliments that were excised, and thank you Editing Gods for that.

I first read this as Sherry being Dairy Queened, which I assume is either 1) her next job, or 2) the only title she’ll ever have a chance of winning.

I had to double check with Wikipedia, but Sherry won twice, week 3 and 5 and was in the top 2 in the second week.   They have done a good job minimizing her presence.   

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Just Carol said:

Good for Heidi for getting the win, but I don't think she deserved it, not with that runway makeup.  I would have given the win to Jaida. 

Heidi is my fave so I was happy she won, but I agree with this. Jaida's commercial was the best and I thought Crystal's was better than Heidi's as well.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I blame that on Bob “Why am I Here?” Harper. 

Yeah that was kind of a dud.  He had no one to bounce off of, to help.  Michelle and Ross are my fav pair of coaches, they are so dam funny.  Carson as well.  

That said, I’m happy Heidi got a win because I find her adorable and she deserved...

Yes! On all you said.  She is def my fav queen this season and Im so glad, this was a big morale booster for her.

She even admitted she was throwing every trick she had out there, hoping that something would land. That’s the kind of desperation that always backfires. 

Oy she reeked of it.  Not a good night for Jan.  By the end she was throwing herself all over the dam stage! Gonna hert yerself gerl!  Lol that was stupid.  Anyway.....

Hah!

I totally agree w/ most everything, I'm just going to snip....

P.s. to add, yes Chaka was underwhelming.  I was wondering if she was going to even go to the back room.  I think the fact she did made all the difference in Widow's LSFYL.  I think she was kind of shy

Edited by Tammee
Added
  • Love 2

The editing of the lipsync, the editors trying to show as little of Jan as possible in order to give the audience the impression that Widow was better at the lipsync and actually deserved to stay was ridiculous.  Jan is so talented, and she should have gone farther.  This show is so staged, just like last week when they didn't give Jan the win just to create online buzz. 

• Love 2

I am fine with the delightful Ms. Heidi winning, but I would've given it to Jaida or Crystal. Still, good job for all of them.

Jan's a good performer, but a great LSFYL should embody the emotion of the song, and Widow channeled Chaka Khan. Chaka Khan isn't a dancing queen. She is full of emotional energy. Widow CAN do splits and stunts, but she knows the artist and song well enough to leave that kind of stuff out of it. And to also sing Chaka Khan's parts, not the backup singers parts. In fact, that's how I'd characterize their performances. Widow was the diva holding the center of everyone's attention, and Jan was the outstanding back-up singer raising the overall energy. On this show, we reward the divas.

It reminds me of Trinity K. Bonet slaying her Chaka Khan moment in season 6. April Carrion was good, no doubt, but Trinity got the song, she got Chaka Khan, and she lipsynched the right parts, not the chorus that Chaka Khan sang over. I think Widow is more versatile than TKB, so I hope this lights the right fire under her.

• Love 10

I have no idea who Bob Harper (it's Harper, right) person is but color me not impressed, he added nothing to this ep. I'll take Chaka Khan over him any day. 

This past week at work when I needed a pick me up all I had to do was picture Crystal hammering the mullets on the wooden table for an LOL and it worked each and every time. Goddess bless her. 

I'm so happy Heidi got that win, I thought she was clearly the best. Still feel for Jan tho, she's so talented. I hate this term but she's also such a try hard. Hopefully she'll mature in time. 

I love that Jaida is proving she is more than trade (her term), she is funny, she is smart, she is talented, she is this season's stealth missile and I love it! 

• Love 3
(edited)
On 4/17/2020 at 11:59 PM, Marmiarmo said:

I started this season loving Jan, but she is somehow both too much and not enough at the same time.  She doesn’t have Gigi’s stylish cool, Crystal’s quirky  sweetness, Jaida’s sexuality, or Heidi’s charm.  She’s got all the right enough looks, but never any “WOW!” looks (her closest to a wow look was last week’s where she simply had to copy a Michelle Visage look); her talent is definitely there, but it just never popped.  She’s cute, she’s talented, she’s a great queen.  But...and YMMV here...she’s not a star.

This. I'm catching up on the season right now and I guess I have the unpopular opinion of being fine with Jan's not winning the Madonna challenge and his being eliminated this episode. And it's for exactly what you stated. As for this episode in particular, I think his inability to truly shine and win the Madonna challenge got him to the point of desperation. And desperation is never a good look for anyone.

And so he tried so hard that he ended up making the infomercial a try-hard disappointment. And the thing is Bob tried to steer him right. He kept telling Jan to breathe, that he was going at 100 right from the start and it was off-putting. It also meant he was rushing so much that there was no chance for the jokes to even really land. 

Gigi's performance was meh (and I honestly wonder if something was up with him that week because it was uncharacteristically basic and lacking any energy) and I even wondered at one point if he was still channeling his robot snatch game character. But he still had a few, not many but a few funny moments. Jan's infomercial was just five minutes of desperate manic-ness. 

And when it came to the lip sync, Widow destroyed him. It was Latrice vs. Dida again, where one queen truly got the song and spirit of it, versus the other who didn't and so figured they'd just throw every kick, flick, jump and trick they know. 

On 4/25/2020 at 1:15 PM, Kaboom 2.0 said:

I have no idea who Bob Harper (it's Harper, right) person is but color me not impressed, he added nothing to this ep. I'll take Chaka Khan over him any day. 

I was the complete opposite. I thought Chaka was sweet but added very little in the way of critics and feedback. Bob gave the queens a lot of helpful feedback while they were filming and I loved his amusement and reactions to some of the more crazy moments. 

Edited by truthaboutluv