Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E12: Ransom

• Start Topic

To all the previous criminals out there: it was a nice effort, but we now know who is truly the biggest monster on the show!  The bastard that dared to kidnap that fluffy boi known as Cheddar!

Obviously, I knew nothing bad was going to happen here, but I loved Holt going into rage mode over what happened and getting to dish out some justice at the end.  Obviously, a lot of it was for laughs, but I do love how much Holt clearly loves that dog and the thought of something happening to him sent him over the edge.  Despite the stoicism and rigid attitude, he really is someone who will protect those he loves and cares for, and isn't afraid to show it.  Andre Braugher was perfection as always here.

Great seeing Kevin again and Marc Evan Jackson continues to be a delight.  He really plays off both Braugher and Andy Samberg extremely well.  And I did like how he inadvertently helped out by having all of those GPS chips, and they were able to use it to find Jake at the end.

Loved seeing Jake being the straight man once again.  But I also loved that he was still all in, even if he found some of what both Holt and Kevin were saying baffling.

Ah, Teddy.  I love Amy as much as the next guy, but you really, really need to get over it.  Still hilarious that he won that contest simply by driving everyone else insane over being so boring and talkative.  But all in all, it was good B-plot for both Amy and Rosa, and focusing on their bond.

Terry and Boyle's C-plot was predictable, but I still enjoyed it: especially Boyle obviously not seeing how crass and creepy all of his names were (classic Boyle!)

Heh, Hitchcock and Scully pretty much disappeared after the cold opening, since they're likely both infected.  That's pare for the course for those two!

Finally, those skits during the commercials with Stephanie Beatriz and the actress from Superstore, continue to remind me how different Beatriz's normal speaking voice and attitude are compared to Rosa.  Acting!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 13

Holt and Kevin, two men who are the epitome of calm stoic boring, losing their shit over losing Cheddar was just loads of delightful fun. Both Braugher and Jackson are both talented actors, and it shows in the way they reacted poorly over the situation. Holt giving the dognapper the beatdown from Hell was pure awesome.

• Love 22

110%, I would watch the feature film "Ray Wicks."  Indeed indeed indeed indeed.

So who are Jake and Amy going to ask to be the godfather of their baby, Nakatomi McClane?  Boyle seems like an obvious choice, but I think the chances are good that they'll ask Holt and Kevin.  Cheddar's instagram is going to blow up even more once they add pics of him and the baby together.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Finally, those skits during the commercials with Stephanie Beatriz and the actress from Superstore, continue to remind me how different Beatriz's normal speaking voice and attitude are compared to Rosa.  Acting!

She started out with that high voice, too. It took her a while to get low. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Ah, Teddy.  I love Amy as much as the next guy, but you really, really need to get over it.  Still hilarious that he won that contest simply by driving everyone else insane over being so boring and talkative. 

He's an energy vampire! Bores people to near death, then saps their energy. (See: Colin Robinson, What we do in the Shadows)

3 hours ago, sweetandsour said:

110%, I would watch the feature film "Ray Wicks."  Indeed indeed indeed indeed.

Yes, indeed, indeed, indeed!

• LOL 3
  • Love 7

KEVIN! Finally! 
And a mention of the awesomeness of John Wick. 
And Holt turning into John Wicks at the end. 
And Kevin’s delight at Ray loving his joke. 
And Jake handling their freak out like a pro. 
And the clothes swap. 
And all the rest. 
Thank you show. 

• Love 11

Somehow this show hits a sweet spot for me. It's not overly broad but still hits simple humor, and not insufferably highbrow while still managing to be smart comedy. This episode nailed all that, with Charles's clueless homoerotic blindspot, Amy and Rosa being awkward pals, etc.

• Love 12

I kept waiting to find out there was something really gross in the Boyle bone broth or whatever they were calling it. But I guess Terry knew the ingredients. I was almost afraid to find out what it was going to be. 

Favorite bit had to be training Jake to be Kevin and all the different ways he had to point out the bird. Sort of reminded me of when Boyle kept correcting him on how to say Nikolaj even though it sounded exactly the same every time.

"Cheddar loved surveillance cameras!" 
"How is that possible?"

• Love 12

This episode had it all! Cheddar! Kevin! Kevin and Jake interaction! Holt bringing the shitstorm (get your umbrella!)! Teddy the Energy Vampire! Holt being a badass! So freaking good! Did I mention all the Cheddar!?

They took the fluffy boy! Kevin and Holt both losing their shit while Jake was keeping it together and had to be the straight man was hilarious, especially when Kevin and Jake swapped clothes. And Holt got to kick some serious ass! 

"All the best strollers are from Scandinavia where they dont hate people for having kids."

"I saw Midsommar, those people have their own problems." 

Indeed, Indeed, Indeed. 

• Love 14

I'm the last one to appreciate or compliment a fight scene, believe me. But I was truly impressed with how well choreographed this one between Holt and the dognapper was. They could have gone for pure parody and just had Holt take him down in an absurd, comical way but both men got their punches in and were pretty evenly matched. Probably a more realistic fight scene than I would expect from this show.

• Love 12

"Someone took our fluffy boi"

I never knew how much I needed to hear that😂😂. From fluffy to motherf***er, I love Holt.

I'll just end with this, "Sir, are you Murtaugh? Does that make me Riggs?😂

Edited by mammaM
Misspelling
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6

Fun ep. Loved every time Holt said 'fluffy boy.'

Jake: If we can trace his location, we can find your fuzzy boy.
Holt: Not fuzzy, he's fluffy.
Kevin: We don't know what he is anymore. He could be fuzzy, he could be anything. Raymond, he could be scruffy.
Holt: Now you've upset Kevin! I hope you're happy.
Jake: Why would I be happy. I clearly just mixed up fuzzy and fluffy.
Holt: "Just?" You're fired. I want your shield and your piece.
Jake: That seems a little extreme.
Kevin: Jake is right.
Jake: Thank you, Kevin.
Kevin: Just suspended without pay.

• LOL 12
  • Love 6

This was fab.  I actually liked all the stories.  Even the C-plot featuring Terry and Boyle,

I love it when Kevin stops by.  Also everything about Jake training to be Kevin.  Also everything about Hoyt going all John Wicks.

And the dognapper giving Jake tips on how to beat Wario.

7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm the last one to appreciate or compliment a fight scene, believe me. But I was truly impressed with how well choreographed this one between Holt and the dognapper was.

I know!  That was pretty impressive.  Also loved Jake watching the whole thing from the back seat like he was watching the best action movie.

Finally, their suspecting the 16th Street Gang of dognapping Cheddar reminded me of the John Wick parody movie Keanu where it was the 17th Street Blips who stole Keanu.

Edited by DearEvette
ugh, typos
  • Love 3

Amy's face when she found out what kind of sub-standard stroller to expect from Rosa was incredible!

And it has to be fluffy boy not fluffy boi - neither Holt nor Kevin would ever use an incorrect spelling of a common English word.

• Like 1
  • Love 17

I needed this episode this week. I will be watching it again this weekend. I love Kevin and Cheddar so any time they show up I'm happy. But the entire thing was great. Holt going ape shit  on the dognapper makes me love him even more than I already did. And while Boyle should have been the choice, being a great detective and Holt maybe should have picked him instead, I am glad he went with Jake just for Jake's pure hero worship of Raymond Wicks John Holt. 

• Love 2

That was one of the most well-written episode I've seen of a sitcom in ages.

10 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm the last one to appreciate or compliment a fight scene, believe me. But I was truly impressed with how well choreographed this one between Holt and the dognapper was. They could have gone for pure parody and just had Holt take him down in an absurd, comical way but both men got their punches in and were pretty evenly matched. Probably a more realistic fight scene than I would expect from this show.

It was so surreal.  Not typical for this show at all.

• Love 2
On 4/17/2020 at 1:09 PM, Corgi-ears said:

They really couldn't be bothered to hide the mattress that Scully fell backward onto during the cold open, huh?

Are you doubting that Norm Scully would keep a mattress next to his desk?

They probably could have tricked Teddy into losing the contest by saying Amy wanted him back. That's probably too cruel for Amy but I'm surprised Rosa didn't try it.

• Love 14

I'll just end with this, "Sir, are you Murtaugh? Does that make me Riggs?😂

I don't understand that reference, does it have something to do with John Wick? I didn't get any of that either, not familiar with the material.

• Love 1

Holt made a vague comment about a movie had been made based on him  and something about an airplane.  Jake, in typical Jake fashion, began to extrapolate which big action movie it could be  with increasing joy.  Murtagh and Riggs are Danny Glover and Mel Gibson from the Lethal Weapon movies.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I don't understand that reference, does it have something to do with John Wick? I didn't get any of that either, not familiar with the material.

It's from Lethal Weapon.  Murtaugh, played by Danny Glover, has the oft quoted line "I'm to old for this $h!t."  Riggs is Mel Gibson's character.  Here's a clip with the quote (NSFW).  The movie has funny bits, but there is a lot of drama and heavy material.  It's also a bit...of its era.

ETA: DearEvette beat me to it!

Lol'd a lot at this one.  It was great fun.

Kevin staring intensely into Peralta's eyes cracked me up.

Edited by MisterGlass
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, MisterGlass said:

Kevin staring intensely into Peralta's eyes cracked me up.

I loved that, too. First when Kevin looked intensely into Jake's eyes, I was like, "Woah! That's intense," then Jake said that too! 

• LOL 2

Someone took their fluffy boy! ☹

Not fuzzy, he's fluffy!

Cheddar loved security cameras.

It's 8:01. Cheddar is dead.

Pig mailman.

Jake dressed up as Kevin with the ginger beard kind of looked like Prince Harry to me.

He took the wrong fluffy boy! That fight scene was amazing even if the sound effects often didn't match up with the punches and kicks. That may have been deliberate though to add to the campiness.

• Love 3
On 4/17/2020 at 1:26 PM, iMonrey said:

Favorite bit had to be training Jake to be Kevin and all the different ways he had to point out the bird. Sort of reminded me of when Boyle kept correcting him on how to say Nikolaj even though it sounded exactly the same every time.

"Cheddar loved surveillance cameras!" 
"How is that possible?"

Also: “Let’s break into the FBI.” Said with gusto.

On 4/17/2020 at 1:26 PM, iMonrey said:

It’s Nikolaj 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 4/18/2020 at 12:25 PM, iMonrey said:

Sorry I missed your question. Glad someone else answered. Holt's last line was "I'm too old for this sh*t", which caused Jake to squeal "Lethal Weapon!?!?!!!!" . 

OK, did anyone seriously gasp, as in like SERIOUSLY gasp as in 'oh no!' when Holt and Kevin announced that Cheddar was dognapped because I totally, seriously gasped outloud. I pushed paused on the DVR because I shocked myself because I had legit gasped at that but I had indeed done so.

Anyone else?

And, yes, stellar, stellar episode all-around.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, driver18 said:

OK, did anyone seriously gasp, as in like SERIOUSLY gasp as in 'oh no!' when Holt and Kevin announced that Cheddar was dognapped because I totally, seriously gasped outloud.

I yelled out "NO!" And while I knew there was no way the show would dare to harm that sweet Fluffy Boy, I was worried the whole episode that the dognapper would treat Cheddar badly. 

I had read about Holt having a meaningful case I never imagined it would be about sweet Cheddar Fluffy Boy!

I abhor violence but I was cheering Holt on when he rained down that shit storm at the end. 

• Love 4
On 4/20/2020 at 9:13 AM, driver18 said:

OK, did anyone seriously gasp, as in like SERIOUSLY gasp as in 'oh no!' when Holt and Kevin announced that Cheddar was dognapped because I totally, seriously gasped outloud. I pushed paused on the DVR because I shocked myself because I had legit gasped at that but I had indeed done so.

Anyone else?

I just figured he went out on a date with his girlfriend "Brie".

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Gummo said:

And then Brie and Cheddar can have a bunch of little cheeseballs!

I smell a spinoff webseries! At Home with the Cheeseballs! I'd watch the hell out of it personally. 

• Love 2

Hell hath no fury than a Captain whose Fluffy Boi is dognapped! And nice touch that it was Kevin's pants that saved the day.

On 4/17/2020 at 6:26 PM, iMonrey said:

I kept waiting to find out there was something really gross in the Boyle bone broth or whatever they were calling it.

I was totally expecting it to contain minced salamander penis* or something, but I guess not.

Also liked that Rosa (even after three days(?) without sleep) could spot when Amy was lying. They are all decent detectives, after all.

* I'm not sure salamanders have penises, but you get the idea

• LOL 1
  • Love 1