Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E05: Gay's Anatomy

• Start Topic

I’m a sucker for a sad story, I can’t help it.  Jackie and Widow both made me tear up.  And I love Crystal and her El DeBarge mullet so damned much.

I’m really rooting for the Missouri queens, Jan, Jada, Gigi, and Jackie.  I like Heidi, but I think she’s very middle-of-the-pack.  I don’t care for Brita, Aiden, or Sherry.

Jan was cracking me up in Untucked.

• Love 2

While I'm glad that Sherry has been edited out to the point that I actually forget that she's on the show, it has become painfully obvious that when there is a clip of her, it serves a very specific purpose.  As soon as the girls were saying that Sherry would be great in the mother role and then them showing a clip of her actual performance with Carson laughing, I knew she was winning the challenge.  The editors would have not used those clips unless absolutely necessary.  It actually took out some of the fun of the episode for me.

I really really hope that someone else steps up their game for Snatch Game (Jackie, Gigi, anyone).  Because if Sherry wins that, I may go into depression.

• Love 13

While I'm glad that Sherry has been edited out to the point that I actually forget that she's on the show, it has become painfully obvious that when there is a clip of her, it serves a very specific purpose. 

The edits have become even more obvious and I can't say that I mind.  My favorite was when Sherry was talking about her mom yet it all came from off camera and we stayed focused on Jackie.  Aiden may have played a ghost but Sherry's become one on the show.

Sherry did a Harvey Fierstein impersonation; been there, seen that.

Yep, sorry I thought the C and U were creativity and uniqueness, not cliche and uninventive.  I thought Widow was hilarious and made magic out or a role that Ru knew she hadn't wanted in the first place.

Brita is horrible and maybe its because we first got a glimpse of the ganging up on Aiden when Sherry and Brita-- two people whose recently revealed reputations suggest shouldn't be lording it over or judging anyone-- I'm kind of feeling Aiden's frustration.  When Brita marches in and is like "Aiden should have been eliminated" and a lot of the other queens seem to go along with it, you can't blame Aiden for finally asking them to back off.  Good for Heidi standing up for her.

• Love 14

I also wonder if there was a critique of the tops this week and they just decided to cut it to avoid Pie's presence. Which would be a real bummer.

The non-entity that was the guest judge this week made me miss Leslie Jones even more.

Such a dilemma during the LSFYL: I love Heidi's personality (and must be the only person who doesn't hate her original name) but want to see much more of Nikki's looks. Although after watching how sweet Heidi was on Untucked, I'm thrilled the decision went the way it did. (And Nikki left Heidi a wig! Awww...)

Brita... I can't even muster the energy to rag on her because it's starting to feel like she's playing a role. Like she decided to be the villain this season, thinking it may get her further. So predictable, so boring, so arrogant. Jaida's attack on Aiden was also NAGL. Jackie's (I think that's who said it) observation that Aiden hasn't really connected was totally accurate and very nicely delivered.

The Widow's face is so gorgeous, so unnaturally youthful, but holy momma, that tear-away pasties watermelon look... oh my gravy. I literally laughed out loud.

Is it just me or has Ru been wearing more green outfits on the runway? Personally, I love 'em. That dress with the redheaded wig was stunning! Felt like a shout-out to Jane Fonda's Barbarella look. Love it.

• Love 6

Aiden may not be the least charismatic queen in the herstory of this show, but she's near the top (and I use the word "top" advisedly).

Nicky Doll got royally screwed. Or, given recent news about RuPaul and the Wyoming ranch, royally fracked. #justicefornicky

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I can't get past Aiden's dead eyes in the talking heads. I wish Ru had cut the young, inexperienced queens in Drag Race UK even half this much slack.

Everyone I like most and want to see more of goes home. Well, two in a row. I just feel dispirited watching the eps, this one seemed to telegraph Nicky Doll would be leaving, and I kept foolishly hoping for a win instead - but that was a sweet untucked moment with Heidi and Nicky, and then Nicky leaving her the wig and scarf...

• Love 5

As an awkward weirdo, I definitely feel for Aiden. Yes, she's overly defensive, but they really have been piling on her, and I do like that she's not taking that quietly. And Heidi is a delight.

Nicky had the chance to rival Raja for most fabulous bitch ever, but Raja never shied away from letting go and being dorky at the right times. Gigi must now take her place. She is a shady little delight though. One of the ones to beat, clearly.

Widow, please note the whole "inner saboteur" thing that seemed to get Nicky and is following Aiden, and be more like Heidi or Crystal, just running with whatever you got.

The "Rhythm of the Night" joke will never stop making me laugh.

Brita needs to filter some chill. That cut to her when Ru was praising Crystal looking like a Polynesian princess? Shady edit if not true.

• Love 7

Nooo, we lose Nicky's je ne sais quoi and have to continue to put up with Bitter Brita? Untucked was unbearable. Aiden's not to blame, bitches, tell it to Ru who chooses the tops and bottoms.

Now all I want is for Aiden to stay longer than Brita.

Oh, and for Heidi to be showered in riches and prizes and love.

• Love 19

My heart really broke for Widow and Jackie when they talked about their moms. For the most part, this group of queens hasn't been

Jaida's runway look was a body suit so I was sure that Michelle would have words for her.

I really didn't like Brita's red lingerie look. It was simultaneously basic and slightly confusing because of the garters on the skirt. I get what the garters were doing in terms of function but I didn't understand why she would want those weird cut outs on her thighs.

Jackie's gold bellydancing outfit was lovely in an understated way.

Jan's black outfit was very superhero. I didn't like the silver thong on top though.

Gigi's Troop Beverly Hills look was so polished, especially compared to many of the other looks.

Sherry's Elvis look was fine but I was so distracted by how she looked like she had no nose. There is such a thing as too much contouring.

Heidi's rainbow cape was pretty but the rest of her outfit was a black bodysuit. Girls, have you learned nothing from past seasons?

Crystal's cape was huge and I liked the purple lining as a contrast, but the jumpsuit was so plain. I agreed with Michelle - her makeup looks so much cleaner now that it's less anime.

Aiden's Silence of the Lambs look was nothing without the moth on her mouth. Her entire outfit was black and her cape was not dramatic at all. This look was so boring. Every week on the runway, I am so distracted by how badly she walks. How have none of the judges mentioned this yet?

Widow's watermelon cape was a nice departure from the other looks because it was bright and colorful and had a sense of humor.

Nicky's silver Thierry Mugler look was great.

I really hate these acting challenges because the scripts are always terrible and there's only so much that the queens can do to elevate what they're working with.

Nicky was the one with fabulous runway looks every week so I'm disappointed she's gone. I know that every week for the rest of the season, I'm ging to wonder what fantastic look she would have shown us instead of some of the snoozefest looks we've been getting from the other girls. I really need Gigi to bring some amazing looks to make up for Nicky's elimination!

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

Jackie's (I think that's who said it) observation that Aiden hasn't really connected was totally accurate and very nicely delivered.

It was but I can't help but think why would Aiden want to connect with people who very obviously don't think she belongs there?

I am so over Britta. I'm even more over the fact that many of the Queens seem to kiss her ass. I hope she goes soon.

I am obsessed with Heidi. She's so sweet and funny in such an adorable way. I hope she can step it up a lot and somehow make the finals.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Aiden's Silence of the Lambs look was nothing without the moth on her mouth.

Part of me wished that instead of putting the actual moth in her mouth, she had painted it on to her face (even if it was a simpler version).  Though even a simpler version probably would take more time than they are allotted so that probably wouldn't be practical.

2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I am so over Britta. I'm even more over the fact that many of the Queens seem to kiss her ass. I hope she goes soon.

They've mentioned it on the show a few times but Brita is really well-known in New York - which means that she probably has a lot of connections/relationships.  And there are a lot of NY queens or queens who want to work in NY this season.  Several previous contestants have said that the real race starts after the show.  So the other queens may want to remain on Brita's good side so to help out their career after the show.

• Love 2

I tell you one thing, this show makes me want to protect Aiden and dislike Brita. I'm sure that is not what the producers intended.  I hate bullies and Brita is the Queen mother of Bullies.

I love Heidi! Despite Ru's best efforts, she probably won't change her drag name.

Nicky Doll was over it by the time of the LFYL. 

SP is a horrible individual, but that hoe is talented. 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

When someone brought up Brita spitting when she talks, all I could think of was that episode of Friends:

All i could think of was that this clip didn't age well considering that the world is now very cootie-avert because of coronavirus.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

I tell you one thing, this show makes me want to protect Aiden and dislike Brita. I'm sure that is not what the producers intended.

I think they're very much choosing to portray Brita as the villain. That shot of her looking peeved when Crystal was told that she looked like a Polynesian princess? We were definitely meant to enjoy that.

A lot of the time when someone comes on this show and plays up their bitchiness, I suspect they're doing it for the cameras, in the hopes of staying around longer. I wouldn't be surprised if that was Dahlia's (unsuccessful) plan.

But in Brita's case, I really don't think it's a strategy. I think she's really arrogant enough to think that she's being likable.

I can't stand Sherry, but I think her win was justified. In addition to being a solid Harvey Fierstein impression, her timing and delivery were pretty much perfect.

But man oh man, do I hate Sherry's makeup. She looks (appropriately enough) like a sinister, nose-less monster. And not in a comedic, "look at how bonkers I am!" kind of way, but in a horror movie kind of way. 

• Love 9

Normani certainly looked beautiful, and many of my friends were excited that she would be appearing.  I was disappointed that she added so little, although she seemed quite engaged.  I know I'm kidding myself, especially now that we're on VH1 and not Logo, but I would rather see lesser-known or longer-ago celebrities or even non-celebrity figures in the queer community than bigger names who don't really seem to speak the language, as it were.  Even ten years ago, I think it really meant something when allies whose names we'd know appeared on shows like this.  It certainly did to my It-Gets-Better-watching self.  Today, I think that packs less of a punch,  and I'd prefer they think about booking people who will be entertaining.  But maybe that's the privilege of living in the Castro and not lacking connections talking.

• Love 3

I guess I'll be the devil's advocate but, while I don't agree with Brita's constant vitriol towards Aiden, the latter has been consistently the worst since the beginning, and this episode was NOT the exception. First of all her wig was a disaster (and it didn't look to be on purpose) and her acting was miles behind Alaska's impersonation of Mae West. I mean, even her "okurrr" was botched. 

20 hours ago, TwopLurker said:

Sherry did a Harvey Fierstein impersonation; been there, seen that.

100% yes, and even taking out her current situation I thought it was unfair that she won this week's challenge, I think either Widow, Gigi or Jackie should've won. Hell, if Brita was judged for being "one note", then SP and Aiden should've been called out too. 

The more I see how quickly they are changing the editing of the season (and kuddos to the editors for this), the more I think production handpicks the winner (or at least the top 4) even before they film, and then they edit accordingly. That would explain why we are forced to believe that Aiden is allegedly unique or Widow is just doing okay while I think she should've been on the top more often (which leads me to believe she won't make it in the final, same with Jan).

• Love 8

I thought between Aiden and Brita, Brita was worse in the acting challenge. At least Aiden did SOMETHING, even if it was derivative. For all Brita's bragging about what an amazing performer she is, her acting was truly awful. Aiden may have benefited from my low expectations but her "OH"s at least made me laugh.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Blakeston said:

But man oh man, do I hate Sherry's makeup. She looks (appropriately enough) like a sinister, nose-less monster. And not in a comedic, "look at how bonkers I am!" kind of way, but in a horror movie kind of way. 

She consistently looks like if John Wayne Gacy's clownsona had done drag, imo.

I wonder what they would have done if she hadn't made a statement admitting to the claims against her being true. Like, I'm pretty sure that's what has led to the producers making the decisions they have.

Has Brita addressed the allegations against her at all? If she hasn't, I think the best the editors can do is allow her to look unlikable.

I personally feel like Gigi and Jackie are the ones to beat, although I love Heidi and Crystal, too.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, belligerent said:

I wonder what they would have done if she hadn't made a statement admitting to the claims against her being true. Like, I'm pretty sure that's what has led to the producers making the decisions they have.

Has Brita addressed the allegations against her at all? If she hasn't, I think the best the editors can do is allow her to look unlikable.

Brita has denied the allegation.

I think if Sherry had tried the denial route, it wouldn't have worked. There were a bunch of people who came forward, and lots and lots of people have heard her claim to work with the non-existent "Allison Mossie."

22 hours ago, zenithwit said:

They've mentioned it on the show a few times but Brita is really well-known in New York - which means that she probably has a lot of connections/relationships.  And there are a lot of NY queens or queens who want to work in NY this season.  Several previous contestants have said that the real race starts after the show.  So the other queens may want to remain on Brita's good side so to help out their career after the show.

That's what I figured and it's really gross to me and I don't like watching it so I need her gone asap.

16 hours ago, charliesan said:

I mean, even [Aiden's] "okurrr" was botched.

Seriously. It was almost as bad as me trying to do it, which is terrible lol.

On 3/28/2020 at 1:44 PM, Blissfool said:

All i could think of was that this clip didn't age well considering that the world is now very cootie-avert because of coronavirus.

Similarly, I couldn't help but wonder while watching if there were any medical props from Gay's Anatomy that could be donated for actual use! Sad times...  😞

It wasn't until Sunday night when I realized that I hadn't set my DVR for this show. I don't think I'll even bother to look it up OnDemand. They need to do a takeoff of Jaws soon, cuz this show has Jumped the Shark. Sashay away....

• Love 1
On 3/28/2020 at 8:20 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Heidi's rainbow cape was pretty but the rest of her outfit was a black bodysuit. Girls, have you learned nothing from past seasons?

I kind of thought the black bodysuit was perfect with that cape. It let the cape shine, which was my interpretation of the challenge. She looked like a beautiful butterfly. But I've only watched seasons 1, 2 and 11 so I don't know too much about the judges' tastes. (I'm a new viewer and catching up)

• Love 4
4 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

But I've only watched seasons 1, 2 and 11 so I don't know too much about the judges' tastes. (I'm a new viewer and catching up)

If you're expecting any kind of consistency from the judges re: the contestants' fashion choices, you're going to be sorely disappointed!

• LOL 8
  • Love 4
On 3/28/2020 at 12:40 AM, PhoneCop said:

I'm going to be so disappointed if all this buildup doesn't lead to a DeBarge LSFYL at some point.

This. Must. Happen. Or Crystal decides to be El DeBarge on Snatch Game.

Almost anyone after Leslie Jones as judge was bound to be eclipsed by Leslie's exuberance. At least Normani had the one quip, "put the lotion in the basket!" 

I miss Nicki already.

I feel bad for thinking that Aiden doesn't impress me. I just don't see yet what Ru sees in her. Heidi tho, love her! Hoping she will flourish as the season progresses and makes it to the end.

• Love 5
On 3/27/2020 at 9:40 PM, PhoneCop said:

I'm going to be so disappointed if all this buildup doesn't lead to a DeBarge LSFYL at some point.

2 minutes ago, Kaboom 2.0 said:

This. Must. Happen. Or Crystal decides to be El DeBarge on Snatch Game.

As much as I want to see BOTH of these things happen, I thought that the queens were given a list of all the LSFYL songs at the beginning of the season and then before each challenge/runway, they're told which song was the LSFYL for that show. And Crystal had no clue who El DeBarge was when Ru first made that comment so I don't think she'll be able to do enough research to play him for the Snatch Game.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

As much as I want to see BOTH of these things happen, I thought that the queens were given a list of all the LSFYL songs at the beginning of the season and then before each challenge/runway, they're told which song was the LSFYL for that show. And Crystal had no clue who El DeBarge was when Ru first made that comment so I don't think she'll be able to do enough research to play him for the Snatch Game.

I don't think anybody could get much mileage out of El DeBarge anyway. One "Who's Johnny" joke, some reference to "Rhythm of the Night"/The Last Dragon and him being Janet Jackson's ex-BIL...that's about it, none of it great.

Ru: El, how's your sister Bunny?

Crystal: Time will reveal.

Meh.

• Love 1

I love Heidi... I really do stan her.  Despite the fact that she can't 'eloguently elocute' what the hell she was yelling about in untucked, it's that need to stand up for the underdog... that show of empathy that really cements her in my mind's Miss Congeniality.

Also, stolen from Paul over at the Vulture recaps... can you imagine if Sh***y Pie had been chosen to help cast the main challenge?  -insert record scratch -

But instead we got what you saw... Nicky Doll and Gigi Goode are put in charge of casting (Allison Mossey was not available).  

I think that Heidi's runway could have been a passable butterfly if it had the wing shapes... it would have read as thoughtful, not as the last minute add-on that it did read as.

I wish Nikki would have shown more fire in her lipsync.

I already have my prediction for 3 of the top four... one of course was spoiled by this whole controversy thing... and the other two would have to be GiGi and Jackie.  

I wonder who's sliding into fourth?

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, TheLukeP said:

I wonder who's sliding into fourth?

While I think it's GiGi's to lose, I hope Just Jan is 4th. I think she's underrated by Ru and the folks. Although I fear it will be Aiden. 

• Love 2
On 3/30/2020 at 9:37 PM, PhoneCop said:

I don't think anybody could get much mileage out of El DeBarge anyway. One "Who's Johnny" joke, some reference to "Rhythm of the Night"/The Last Dragon and him being Janet Jackson's ex-BIL...that's about it, none of it great.

Ru: El, how's your sister Bunny?

Crystal: Time will reveal.

Meh.

I completely agree with this and I also love seeing a Last Dragon reference. Speaking of that movie, I actually think someone could do a really good Vanity in Snatch Game, but that's never going to happen and almost no one would get it anyway.

Unrelated to the above, I think (/hope) Aiden is more likely to be the next to go than to make the top four. I have a feeling she's going to be horrible at Snatch Game, but--more than that--I really want Brita to be horrible because watching her eat crow is never going to get old. I haven't felt such Drag Race schadenfreude since Laganja was failing at everything.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, AntManBee said:

I cannot stand Gigi's jawline.  There.  I said it.  As a boi, fine.  As a gurl....

She has a really oddly shaped face, doesn't she?

I think she's lovely as a guy and as a girl, but I also think her jawline limits her a bit. I think she wears so many helmets to distract from it.

• Useful 1
(edited)

Any of you NYC readers:  Is Brita really that hot shit in NYC or is it just in her mind.  I don't see anything that wonderful form her.  The minute Brita is gone they'll (FINALLY) let go of Aiden, who has got to only be here for the DRAMA.

I think NickyDoll was the prettiest boy ever to be on the show.

I adored the talk on "Who Is Trade?" They brought up Jan's girl eyebrows, which are beautifully-shaped when she's doing talking heads.

Edited by WhineandCheez
On 3/28/2020 at 9:20 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Heidi came out there with Diana Ross hair and a rainbow cape, but didn't have the sense to go full tilt Diana as Mahogany wearing that rainbow Bob Mackie poncho dress. Coulda and shoulda been a rainbow caped homage to that look.

• Love 1
(edited)

Act 1

Nicky Doll & Heidi N Closet's “Heart to Break” Lip Sync

The Pit Stop: Yuhua Hamasaki Kikis With Bob The Drag Queen

Whatcha Packin’: Nicky Doll

Nicky Doll’s Cape Look

Jackie Cox’s Golden Goddess Cape Look

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Useful 1