Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E11: Being Gay and Religious

• Start Topic

The Sister Wives visit Mariah and her fiancee, Audry, in Chicago; Mariah reveals her struggles growing up gay in their polygamous church.

Good gawd, a full hour of Wxke Womxn Marixh, Queen of the ChiTown Coffee Shxps and IG Griftxrs. I will need extra booze.

Let's see if the struggles she reveals match up with her statements made during previous episodes and online.

How long is season? Eleven episodes covering three topics so far. My brain is mush.

• LOL 18
  • Love 6

Princess Woke has made no reference whatsoever to religion in how long?  But they are going to manage to do one whole episode on it?  Must be taking some creative writing to manage that.  What a load of crap.

• Love 21
2 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

In Snowflake's case, it's called a cuterus.  😄

I didn't make that up, read it right here.  Kudos to the maker-upper!

It is a cuterus!  Although I hear it’s not as nice as Miami because

image.thumb.jpeg.802a3eb06e0fc91b19ae976c40bf495c.jpeg

• LOL 10
  • Love 2

I am not religious, but bi, and never really understood the difficulty being gay and religious because, well, duh. But instead of watching this BS, maybe check out Dan Reynolds' (lead singer of Imagine Dragons) documentary Believer. He's not gay but he does a great job finding gay people who grew up Mormon and helping them tell their stories. I believe I watched it on HBO+ but it may be more widely available now. If you're not religious, it's easy to be like, fine, peace out Jesus, and just go be your gay self, but Mormons are heavily indoctrinated--in many ways brainwashed--and it's not so easy for them to give up their prophet so they can be their true selves. It's absolutely heartbreaking.

• Useful 7
  • Love 12

Well, Snowflake has already spilled that she uses DevaCurl No-Poo.  Trouble is, her hair looks greasy and unwashed, so she needs sudsy Poo for her oiliness.  So does Kootie, for that matter.

I'm on edge waiting for the pearls of wisdom Her Wokeness will impart.  Yeah, sure!  The snark should be gold tomorrow.  That's what I enjoy, with all of you 🙂

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, toodles said:

As you should be.

I was eavesdropping on you and SandyW's posts just now, and I don't believe you two ladies are taking MOORIAH and her superior wokeness seriously.  I'm reporting y'all to the dean!  😛

• LOL 14
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

I was eavesdropping on you and SandyW's posts just now, and I don't believe you two ladies are taking MOORIAH and her superior wokeness seriously.  I'm reporting y'all to the dean!  😛

if i get expelled for not being a woke folx ima gonna go all bunny boiler on ya!🐇🍲🥰

• LOL 5
6 hours ago, monagatuna said:

I am not religious, but bi, and never really understood the difficulty being gay and religious because, well, duh. But instead of watching this BS, maybe check out Dan Reynolds' (lead singer of Imagine Dragons) documentary Believer. He's not gay but he does a great job finding gay people who grew up Mormon and helping them tell their stories. I believe I watched it on HBO+ but it may be more widely available now. If you're not religious, it's easy to be like, fine, peace out Jesus, and just go be your gay self, but Mormons are heavily indoctrinated--in many ways brainwashed--and it's not so easy for them to give up their prophet so they can be their true selves. It's absolutely heartbreaking.

Yeah, i sometimes wonder why people who feel excluded don’t explore some other religions that would accept them but you’re right, Mariah, like others, grew up in a tradition that is big in control. I hope she can give herself permission to seek another tradition that honors everyone. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

Oh please don't tell on me!  on second thought, wth.  I'll just ditch detention anyway.

• LOL 7

Only an idiot would teach a kid to ride a bike on concrete.  I find Truely to be quite temperamental.  

I don’t know whose bright idea it was to invite Robyn to Chicago. She seemed like a fish out of water and clearly didn’t want to be there.  

• Love 11
10 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Yeah, i sometimes wonder why people who feel excluded don’t explore some other religions that would accept them but you’re right, Mariah, like others, grew up in a tradition that is big in control. I hope she can give herself permission to seek another tradition that honors everyone. 

I haven't watched the episode yet but I do want to contribute my thoughts to this angle of her story (if I'm understanding the comments correctly).  I am religious so I can understand that side.  If one truly believes in an ideology, such as a creator God who has given mankind the basis for behavior and belief, then it is not a matter of exploring other religions to find a more acceptable fit.  If I believe water is wet, I can't join a group that says it is dry.  I have fairly fundamental beliefs about Christianity which I believe right down to my core and would be averse to joining a liberal denomination.   In fact, I left a denomination which turned more liberal than I could stomach.   It is not a matter of, for example, the downtown library's book club isn't a good fit so I'm going to join the gym instead.  She needs to examine her soul, decide what she really thinks is the truth and important, and follow that whether it fits with her lifestyle or not.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 14
48 minutes ago, Sofa Sloth said:

Also telling that Robyn and Kody must buy a house ‘together’ and be ‘on the same page’, but the other wives can just fend for themselves and decide whatever they want to do for their houses as their choices don’t mean shit to Kody. Proof that the legal marriage holder does indeed matter more. 

MANY first wives will tell you this isn't true.  ROBYN matters more.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Granny58 said:

I haven't watched the episode yet but I do want to contribute my thoughts to this angle of her story (if I'm understanding the comments correctly).  I am religious so I can understand that side.  If one truly believes in an ideology, such as a creator God who has given mankind the basis for behavior and belief, then it is not a matter of exploring other religions to find a more acceptable fit.  If I believe water is wet, I can't join a group that says it is dry.  I have fairly fundamental beliefs about Christianity which I believe right down to my core and would be averse to joining a liberal denomination.   In fact, I left a denomination which turned more liberal than I could stomach.   It is not a matter of, for example, the downtown library's book club isn't a good fit so I'm going to join the gym instead.  She needs to examine her soul, decide what she really thinks is the truth and important, and follow that whether it fits with her lifestyle or not.  

I agree.  For a lot of people, religion is a part of their life, like a community or a social outlet.  For some people, religion serves a much deeper function.  Religion (and the doctrine) is the center of your life and your community, school, family et al and guides every aspect of your life.  If you grow up in a family like this (I did) it is not as easy as just dismissing one church and going to the Baptist church down the road.  It's your entire life and the filter through which you see the world. 

I don't particularly like Mariah, but I will say that her coming out as gay probably was very difficult.  Admitting to something that she likely has been told her entire life will send her to hell must be tough.  Kody and Meri and her siblings may have been supportive but I guarantee that various cousins, aunts/uncles, church friends etc probably were not.  And that must sting.

• Love 14
3 hours ago, Xena said:

When Truely was begging to get off the bike, and Kody would not let her, I just kept muttering asshole, asshole, asshole.

I mean, that's normally my response to him, but the asshole quotient was off the charts last night with this one.

I didn't watch, and now I'm glad--I might've thrown something at the TV. Kody gets my blood boiling often.

• Love 5

Does anyone have a time line for this episode?  Is it spring or early summer of 2019?

I think I can predict the next two seasons--is this only the 11th season; it fills like this show has been running since Hector was a pup--

Season 12-  2 separate parties for Mariah and Audrey;  maybe 3 if there is one in Chicago.  Meri and Robyn are shown moving into the new houses.  More scenes with panic disorder. More scenes with Truley.  Lengthy discussions of turning the "pond' into a fishing ponds vs. a "cement pond" ala the Bev Hillbillies.   Discussion of treatment for Maddie's baby.  Robyn is stressed.  Meri is stressed.  Janelle gains weight.  Christine seems happy.  Kody is angry.

Season 13-- plans for Mariah's wedding.  Kody is stressed out about finances and houses.  Dayton moves to live with his dad.  Show revolves around "triplets" going to college.   Truely rides on back of a motorcycle.  Robyn cries.  Meri commutes to her B and B in an RV.  Janelle gains weight.  Kody is angry. 

2 hours ago, Granny58 said:

what is this generational prejudice Janelle tweeted about?  People disagreeing with them again, which in their book amounts to "prejudice?"  

This is just Janelle showing us she is "woke" because there is intersectionality between being an oppressed polygamist and being LGBT. 

I already disliked Kody, but I rilly lost it when he was trying to teach Truley to ride a bike.  He and Solomon at one point were riding circles around her which would make her nervous.  He purposely scared her.  I think she is a bit of an obnoxious drama queen, but I blame him for a lot of her behaviour. 

Thanks to whoever knew that the older woman was Kody's mom as I had no clue.

I didn't dislike Mariah quite as much as usual, but that may be because Audrey was there, too.   Do they rilly have 3 dogs in that apartment.  Speaking of which, it seemed awfully nice of an apartment for a grad student--especially considering the COL in Chicago. 

By the time they build on the Prairie Dog Plains, there would only be a few minor children leff--perhaps 5 at most.   They really screwed up their lives even more by this stupid move to Flag.

• Love 22
3 hours ago, Granny58 said:

But clearly Mariah doesn’t believe her original religion’s tenets “down to her core” if that tradition holds that being gay is a sin and she does not. I’m not sure what you mean by a “liberal” church but I’ll share that I’m Episcopalian. The priests in my church teach the word of God, and that Jesus died for the sins of humankind and will come again. Pretty mainstream stuff. Everyone is welcome: to attend services, to participate or not in responses, singing, Communion and other rituals - and no one is held to be “less than” or sinful because of their sexuality. 

ETA: I realize that it’s not always easy to leave one’s religion. But a person who feels rejected and put down by the tenets of their religion can surely explore other options to see if they find a tradition that makes them feel welcome BEFORE they make the difficult decision to leave what they know. You can also be religious without attending church at all IMO. Anyway, Mariah has already left the Church of Kody by rejecting polygamy. So if she is feeling a lack in her life that a church would help with, I hope she’ll explore. Unlike many here I like Mariah (and Audrey) and I hope Mariah finds what she needs.

ETA again (LOL): I just remembered that Kody kind of opened the episode by telling how he’s never really required his kids to strictly follow his beliefs and that he leaves it to them to makes their own choices and conclusions. This may be one of the only things I really like about him. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 11
11 hours ago, NotinKansasanymore said:

Am I really watching a woman cry and act like a victim cause she gets to buy a house? Really Robyn? 

I feel so sorry for you that you just had to buy a 900,000 dollar home for your family. Poor poor you. 

What gets me is that ROBYN has the nerve to make a statement about how not being able to rent a house to her satisfaction  making her feel UNSAFE....what the hey does that mean?  It infers that she's afraid of her husband and that is a very cruel thing to say if it's not true.  To my knowledge no one has ever said that about Kody. AND, we know that Robyn made some similar comment about not feeling safe with her ex-husband. (Back when she was bashing her ex.) I don't think that was confirmed.   Both are very inappropriate and misguided comments, if not true. AND THEN ROBYN has the nerve to say that she has a desire of where she wants to throw the AX!  VERY improper.  You don't even joke about physical violence with your spouse.  It really made me mistrust her.  I hope Kody protects himself.  When people show you who they are, you need to believe it. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11

I have never liked Kody and this episode was another nail in his coffin as far as I'm concerned. Truely did totally grate on my nerves but she's nine. There is no reason on earth that she HAS to learn how to ride a bike - ever. And she certainly doesn't need to learn on Kody's timeline. He's an asshole and he's only cemented her fear. What a dickhead.

• Love 19

This might be one of the first eps where I really felt the women seemed okay together - even Meri, though I’m sure having Mariah there was a factor. Robyn wasn’t in the spirit of things but her issues were with Kody, not the women. For once I could believe that maybe they really do love each other underneath it all - and that as we all know, polygamy/Kody is the problem, the troublemaker, the lover of chaos. It was kind of wonderful to hear them acknowledge this.

i did not like Kody forcing Truely to ride that bike. I’m not sure if she was honestly scared or just plain didn’t want to (maybe she didn’t want to “fail” on camera and have dad yell at her) but either way, what was the point? I have two 5-year-old grandkids (twins) to whom we have bikes with training wheels this year. One guy pretty much hopped on and got the hang of it right away, but the other kind of didn’t like it and is holding back a bit. And his parents are fine with it. I can’t even imagine them trying to force the other boy - it just wouldn’t occur to them.

re: Robyn saying she feels unsafe - I thought from the context that she meant something more like uncertain or unstable, not having plans in place. But I certainly could be wrong, since we have seen Kody get angry and we know he’s capable of staring down transgressing wives with those Manson lamps. I don’t recall any hint that he gets physically violent. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8