Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E11: Being Gay and Religious

• Start Topic

At some points in the bike-riding lesson scenes, one of the bikes had training wheels on it.  Kody even pushed Truely on the bike with training wheels, but she was still wailing.

Also, the scene started with (1) Kody's declaring that the tricycle was unsalvageable and (2) as someone earlier noted, Truely's scolding King Sol that he had been riding bikes for years.  But, soon enough, Aereola was riding the broken tricycle freely (when she wasn't chasing Truely). 

Kody also said that they bought Truely that bike that day and let her choose it - which wouldn't explain her pure resistance or wrong-sized bike.

• Love 3
On 3/18/2020 at 12:20 PM, Kohola3 said:

I really don't think Snowflake has any interest in religion at this point other than the Church of Wokeness.  She never mentions religion in her pontificating posts at all.  Either she gave it up because of the stance of the Mormon church or because she was at the age where young people start to question the indoctrination of organized religions.

If she wanted to join some sort of faith-based congregation, it wouldn't be hard to do, especially in Chicago.  It's way easier to have a prolonged brunch and send out deep philosophical ramblings on SM on a Sunday morning than to attend a church service.

Calling her "religious" is ridiculous.

She has turned politics and political causes into her "religion", not unlike a lot of young people today.  I personally think she turned away from organized religion because of her limited bad experience in the Mormon tradition, with its non-acceptance of the gay lifestyle.  That doesn't mean she doesn't still believe in God or a faith-based code of ethics and morality, though.  It's too bad that her "spiritual but not religious" designation can't be experienced through another organized faith, but I think she is one of those people that throws the baby out with the bathwater based on their personal bad experience with organized religion.

On 3/18/2020 at 3:01 PM, Adeejay said:

I am an Episcopalian New Yorker. We've embraced the Lesbian, Gay, Bi-Sexual and Transgender (LGBT) community, wholeheartedly.  But, as quiet as it's kept, a lot of the older parishioners left the church because of that.  

I'm an Episcopalian New Yorker too.  We've embraced the LGBT community for over 25 years now.  I knew many active openly gay people in the church in the early 90s.  The older parishioners that left back then were a generation older than I am and I'm now almost 62 years old.  I just thought it bears mentioning that this is nothing new.  I think people would have left the church anyway as they have from most "mainline" protestant religions.  It's more a growing secularism in society that is responsible for the decline in church attendance from what I've heard, plus a lack of personal connection which other more evangelical churches provide in abundance.

19 hours ago, oceanview said:

That is so true about the older parishioners.  That is my generation and I speak as a member at an Episcopal Church.   It is really interesting to see you stays and who goes.   All the "Christians" who love one another in theory, so not always keep that tenet of the church when it becomes a sanctuary for the different from them people.   I had no problem with it and made a bunch of new friends I would never have even met before.     I think she could be happier in the Episcopal church if that is what she wants.  I honestly wonder if it not something she really wants.  She has a freedom now that she enjoys.

I think Mariah is soured on organized religion because of her own personal feeling of rejection from her own church and until she heals from that and opens her eyes to realize that there are churches out there that would not do that to her she will embrace political causes in place of any kind of church-based faith.  I'm not holding my breath that this will happen any time soon.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

To justify the private tuition at Westminister, Mariah argued that returning to Utah was her best chance to become a sister wife.  In one of the early seasons, when they moved to Las Vegas, Meri said that she and Mariah would get up early so that Mariah could attend an LDS study group.  In her talking head last week, Mariah said that she'd probably be a sister wife, but be so miserable that she'd leave in a few years.  She implied that she wouldn't be a first wife (to hide).  The accompanying photo montage only included photos of a pre-pubescent Mariah attending church services. 

Meri showed more conflict than Mariah and still seems to struggle to reconcile her religious belief with Mariah's sexuality.  She couldn't actualy say that she disagreed with her church - which is completelyunderstandable since she's been immersed her most of, if not all, her life.  Christine tried to help her by over-reacting loudly, but I'm not quite sure that she openly rejected the AUB tenet.  Meri then deflected again by saying (meekly) that she's grateful that "three awesome sister wives" reacted better than she did initially. 

I think that all the children fell away from the AUB when they moved and lost their community.  The family's observance became more and more the Church of Kody.  Their parents literally sold their souls for  Z-List fame and big houses.  They're trying to recover here and there in the current season, but their talk of religion centers on waiting for God's next miracle - providing Robyn a 7-bedroom rental.  

Kody said that he expected most of his children to migrate to Christianity.  Maddie followed Caleb's faith.  Mykelti married an LDS convert from Catholicism, and Aspyn married someone from their own church.  Other posters report that one of the sons converted to mainstream LDS.  

• Love 10

There was a brief, beautiful moment in this episode when I had the thought, "What if these women all left Kody, collectively" and the notion warmed me for a moment.  

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
36 minutes ago, ladle said:

There was a brief, beautiful moment in this episode when I had the thought, "What if these women all left Kody, collectively" and the notion warmed me for a moment.  

Ooo Ohh!  Even better!? What if they all left Kody, collectively and then continued to live as four neighbor houses in a cul de sac helping with each others children and grandchildren just like they tried to sell us all those years ago.  But they did it successfully without the burden of that man messing up the communal system.

• Love 5

That bike was far too big for Truely.

Are there really no rental properties in all of Flagstaff??

5 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

Ooo Ohh!  Even better!? What if they all left Kody, collectively and then continued to live as four neighbor houses in a cul de sac helping with each others children and grandchildren just like they tried to sell us all those years ago.  But they did it successfully without the burden of that man messing up the communal system.

I would watch the shit out of that show. 

• Love 4