Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Now And Then

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

5 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Nolan takes his son’s fiancé on a ride-along after she shows an interest in becoming a police officer. Jackson’s relationship becomes complicated at work.

What could possibly go wrong???

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

The ridiculous opening has returned! Welcome back! At least 14 people jumped out of the smoked clown car. The trunk must have been the "non smoking" section. 

Maybe Chen can get a 2 for 1 special and also have the neck tattoo removed in 4 weeks 2 days 9 hours.

Leave it to ABC/Disney to sneak in "Jedi".

The two girls running to West was stupid.

TMZ didn't follow a "supposedly" angry Sterling to Lopez's car to get pictures of him and West laughing? 

Did Abigal have to share the back seat with the person arrested or did Nolan sit in the back?

Who orders from a pizza place that can't put their name on the box?

The case officer fell down the stairs a "few" times? Must have fallen for the "your shoe laces are united "line from Harper more than once. 

Why can't SWAT ever arrive on time?

Abigal should have asked Nolan if it was Ok to see the sister. 

Maybe Abigal should get a job in the morgue or funeral home.

Henry showed he has more growth to go. Don't get married now.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The sociopathic way Abigail responded to the dead body was supposed to make us wonder if she was going to turn out to be a serial killer, right?

That was my take. It freaked me right the eff out. Like, that was total sociopathic behavior.

Telling Jackson to break off his relationship was totally ridiculous. I mean, look how easy it was to come up with another plan. Just don't walk the red carpet. Keep a low profile. Geez. Coldly telling someone to break up with someone they love because of something stupid is just plain dumb.

And I can't imagine that one event as a teenager would disqualify her for life. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, femmefan1946 said:

I'm waiting for her to torch Nolan's truck.

Unless the sponsor wouldn't like that.

Perfect.

She could try to torch it...but the military grade alloy is also fireproof 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I know NF's the star, but to even make this show a little realistic they need to stop having Nolan coming in to save the day at the end of the episodes like Superman.

Also, is it me or does this show have a ton of commercials?  Sometimes, especially during the second half, it seems like there are more commercials than show.

• Love 2

I found it odd that Chen put concealer on her tattoo everyday instead of using a bandage or large band-aid to cover it.  And yes, there is something very wrong with Abigail because her reaction to that body was not normal.

• Love 6

I'm one of the first ones to say, "This is just teevee," when we know it's not like real life.  But I have to chime in here about the ride-along.  A person cannot, I repeat, cannot walk into a police station and request a ride-along and it happens THAT day.  I know for a fact that ride-alongs have to be PRE-scheduled as the individual has to undergo a background check.  Additionally, ride-alongs have to be a resident of that city where they are making the request.  This is to protect the officer as well as the public.

I feel better having gotten that off my chest - Lol.

• Useful 5
  • Love 17
7 hours ago, Sweet Tooth said:

That was my take. It freaked me right the eff out. Like, that was total sociopathic behavior.

snip

The Dragnet episode where Sergeant Friday does background investigations for a possible LAPD recruit just rotated up recently. Back in 1968 the local police chief was amazed that the LAPD went to such lengths. Now today with a LAPD only recently accepting transfers instead of putting them through another academy in addition to a probationary year are all departments as unwilling as LAPD to take a chance?

11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The sociopathic way Abigail responded to the dead body was supposed to make us wonder if she was going to turn out to be a serial killer, right?

I think that while trying to show us Abigal has the right stuff to stomach the job she did come off as the type to like it too much. A riff off of the guy who wants to be a cop so he can legally carry a gun and shoot.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Evagirl said:

Additionally, ride-alongs have to be a resident of that city where they are making the request. 

What about actors prepping for a role? Is the residency requirement waived?

2 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

I found it odd that Chen put concealer on her tattoo everyday instead of using a bandage or large band-aid to cover it.

Some people are allergic to the adhesive on band aids (I'm one of them), but I'm sure there are other means to conceal the tattoo beside using makeup and having to apply it as often as she was. Off the top of my head, I'd consider using paint, a sharpie, magic marker, etc. for something more permanent.

• Love 2

I really didn't get Chen's need to put concealer on the tattoo, since it was under her shirt.  It's not like it was on her forehead or back of her hand where she (and others) could see it all day.  A shirt is the concealer. 

Also, I'm curious... why does someone need to wait a month or so to have a tattoo removed? 

I really hope Nolan's kid and Abigail do not become regulars.  ugh.  Can't they just live a normal life, off screen, and Nolan can just say "I talked with my kid yesterday" every once in a while?

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, chaifan said:

I really didn't get Chen's need to put concealer on the tattoo, since it was under her shirt.  It's not like it was on her forehead or back of her hand where she (and others) could see it all day.  A shirt is the concealer. 

Also, I'm curious... why does someone need to wait a month or so to have a tattoo removed? 

I really hope Nolan's kid and Abigail do not become regulars.  ugh.  Can't they just live a normal life, off screen, and Nolan can just say "I talked with my kid yesterday" every once in a while?

My guess that it is not an emergency procedure so LAPD  health insurance can't push her ahead of all those with self imposed tattoos waiting to get theirs removed 

I'm not a tattoo person, but I think the waiting time may be associated with allowing the fresh tattoo to "settle" so that the laser removal works better?  If it were an insurance thing, I think Chen would happily pay thousands out of her own money or credit line just to get it removed.  But it could also just be that laser tattoo removal is a popular item as people regret earlier choices, so the available dermatologists and licensed removal technicians are overbooked and that was the earliest she could get in.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, break21 said:

is it me or does this show have a ton of commercials?  Sometimes, especially during the second half, it seems like there are more commercials than show.

When we watched The Rookies in the 1970s, my father always complained bitterly about there being too many commercials. The run time of the show was 52 minutes including the open theme and the closing credits. With 8 one-minute commercial breaks, that seemed excessive to him. Now hour-long tv shows have a run time between 42 and 44 minutes with 16 to 18 minutes of commercials being the norm. We just never knew how good we had it back then.

• Love 4
(edited)
15 hours ago, mxc90 said:

The two girls running to West was stupid.

That part annoyed me so much. I mean, yeah, I can see someone getting excited seeing a "famous" person and wanting to get a selfie. But the police and the suspects were clearly in a standoff, guns pointing at one another. If anything, those girls would know not to rush right into the fray! They'd probably film the whole thing for putting it on the internet so they could say they were there, but not jump in the way. That was just drummed up so that they could give West a mini storyline. It was so stupid.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 13
(edited)
4 hours ago, chaifan said:

I really didn't get Chen's need to put concealer on the tattoo, since it was under her shirt.

The tattoo says DoD and a date. Day of Death... But who died on that day? Not Chen, but the serial killer. It is his DoD. She should get another tattoo right above it of his name.  

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, chaifan said:

I really hope Nolan's kid and Abigail do not become regulars.  ugh. 

She can move to Portland and become a P.I. The bar is pretty low....

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I haven't watched much this season sue to conflicts, and then sort of forgot about it. 😞

I also employ a very healthy suspension of belief when it comes to cop shows.....

But....  jeebus... what a mess of a show on Sunday.  I can't decide whether I should give it up or watch it as I would an auto accident on the road.

The story line with the teenagers was eyerolling.  They both looked AND ACTED as if they were about 16 years old.  Someone should be challenging them to , get jobs, grow up, go to college, finish whatever school they are in or something other than hanging around a cop shop and acting stupidly.

Her behavior at the crime scene was the worst thought out, written or acted crime scene I have ever seen.  If I had been Fillian's character, I would have driven her directly to the hospital for mental evaluation.

And, if a teenager had made a death notice to me I would have sued the city.  

Just, beyond stupid.

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, eel21788 said:

When we watched The Rookies in the 1970s, my father always complained bitterly about there being too many commercials. The run time of the show was 52 minutes including the open theme and the closing credits. With 8 one-minute commercial breaks, that seemed excessive to him. Now hour-long tv shows have a run time between 42 and 44 minutes with 16 to 18 minutes of commercials being the norm. We just never knew how good we had it back then.

On the bright side, that does mean that the show is popular with the most important viewers-- the advertisers.
And the quality of the advertisers remains high. Lots of cars, not too many local carpet shops, advertisers who pay big money to the networks for your eyeballs.
I like imagining who those advertisers think are watching the shows I'm viewing. Like on MSNBC there are a lot of ads for pharmaceuticals, mostly to cure chronic problems. And insurance companies. So MSNBC is watched by hypochondriacs?  And The Rookie by people who go to movies and buy expensive cars?

FWIW- At $7.99 (cdn) a month, Netflix costs me $100 a year and so does Amazon Prime.

Edited by femmefan1946
  • Love 1

For me, Abigail's early lack of empathy was reminiscent of Castle in the first episode or two of Castle (the TV show).   Abigail was quickly set straight, as was Castle.

• Love 2

I really didn't get Chen's need to put concealer on the tattoo, since it was under her shirt.

It's a mental scar. Just because she or others don't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't weigh on her mind. Concealing it is just a way trying to cope.

• Love 4

This came up a few weeks ago..What is the geographic definition of Wilshire Precinct? It includes Downtown L.A.? Those bikers killed a guy downtown and captured a trailer park in the suburbs all within Wilshire?

10 minutes ago, paigow said:

This came up a few weeks ago..What is the geographic definition of Wilshire Precinct? It includes Downtown L.A.? Those bikers killed a guy downtown and captured a trailer park in the suburbs all within Wilshire?

Hard to say, maybe some of real life Wilshire, some Olympic, some Hollywood and some of Central, maybe as far out as Southwest Division areas.

The "Night General" came from 77th Street Division so throw out South LA and the Valley. During the first season the station was South Wilshire while Wilshire runs from Downtown west to Santa Monica beach. This season it was Mid Wilshire. The actual Wilshire Division station is in Mid City 

On 3/2/2020 at 2:59 PM, eel21788 said:

Don't forget the in show commercials for things like cars eating up time.

• Love 1
On 3/2/2020 at 1:08 PM, preeya said:

Some people are allergic to the adhesive on band aids (I'm one of them), but I'm sure there are other means to conceal the tattoo beside using makeup and having to apply it as often as she was. Off the top of my head, I'd consider using paint, a sharpie, magic marker, etc. for something more permanent.

And there's the option of turning it into something else with more ink.  But it would still be there.

On 3/2/2020 at 3:10 PM, Netfoot said:

The tattoo says DoD and a date. Day of Death... But who died on that day? Not Chen, but the serial killer. It is his DoD. She should get another tattoo right above it of his name.  

I have a few tattoos and my first thought was to turn it into something beautiful and special to me.  Bradford hinted at the same in his speech.  

On 3/2/2020 at 4:56 PM, fd98 said:

What was that scene at the end ... Bradford was returning Chen's ring?  Or did I miss something?

Yes, the ring she left behind and he saw at the sight she was buried.  

8 hours ago, AnnaCody said:

And there's the option of turning it into something else with more ink.  But it would still be there.

That's why turning it into something beautiful and meaningful appeals to me.  She won against the serial killer.  She can win again against his "mark" by making it her own.  

I get not everyone feels that way or wants tattoos but it's a very viable option.  And there are artists who specialize in that sort of thing. 

• Love 1

I'm surprised they didn't arrest those girls who stormed West for obstruction of justice.

On 3/2/2020 at 3:55 AM, Sweet Tooth said:

Telling Jackson to break off his relationship was totally ridiculous. I mean, look how easy it was to come up with another plan. Just don't walk the red carpet. Keep a low profile. Geez. Coldly telling someone to break up with someone they love because of something stupid is just plain dumb.

Yeah, she is so a future serial killer - or maybe she can be a medical examiner!

Telling him to break up with his boyfriend was just ridiculous - I am sure they have another entrance for people who don't want to walk the red carpet and why were they saying "oh you can't work in robbery/homicide if your face is recognizable!!" Undercover, yeah, but that isn't a longterm career choice - but why were they saying he couldn't go to homicide?

I think it was disqualifying because it was domestic violence - but she did say she took a plea, I wonder what she plead to? Since if she plead down to something that wasn't considered DV, then she might qualify.

1 hour ago, bros402 said:

Telling him to break up with his boyfriend was just ridiculous - I am sure they have another entrance for people who don't want to walk the red carpet and why were they saying "oh you can't work in robbery/homicide if your face is recognizable!!" Undercover, yeah, but that isn't a longterm career choice - but why were they saying he couldn't go to homicide?

There is absolutely another entrance, and a star as big as his boyfriend would totally know about it. If you want to keep your relationship low key, there are ways to do it. 

And goodness, yeah. Undercover is a long way away right now. So maybe he decides he doesn't want to work undercover. 

You should be allowed to date who you want, as long as they're not a criminal or in some way can be in a position where your significant other might get preferential treatment. 

Calling him out in front of everyone because of something he did on his off time is dumb. All they had to do is tell him to lay low, and the hoopla would die down.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, JenMcSnark said:

I get not everyone feels that way or wants tattoos but it's a very viable option.  And there are artists who specialize in that sort of thing. 

Johnny Depp could do a cameo within a cameo on the cop show...His "Winona / Wino" edit is famous

• LOL 1
On 3/2/2020 at 6:56 PM, fd98 said:

What was that scene at the end ... Bradford was returning Chen's ring?  Or did I miss something?

Don't know if you're not making the connection to the ring, so I'll attempt an answer:

Before Lucy climbed into that barrel, she dropped her ring to leave a clue. Bradford, I believe, was the one who found it, and ultimately her. He was just finally giving it back to her. 

• Love 4
On 3/6/2020 at 4:47 PM, mojito said:

Before Lucy climbed into that barrel, she dropped her ring to leave a clue. Bradford, I believe, was the one who found it, and ultimately her. He was just finally giving it back to her. 

Just really odd timing...dude brings a wake up cheeseburger, but not the ring...she never asked for it while seeing the department shrink, physical assessment....

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, crowceilidh said:

They seem to be pushing a Chen Bradford romance into the spotlight.  I hope not.

Everything Officer Bradford said about himself and his highest calling suggest that he would never go there with one of his boots

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Raja said:

Everything Officer Bradford said about himself and his highest calling suggest that he would never go there with one of his boots

But hot friends of said boots are always in play....

• Love 1
1 hour ago, crowceilidh said:

They seem to be pushing a Chen Bradford romance into the spotlight.  I hope not.

I'm in the opposite camp and actually hope they do as the actors have IMO great chemistry together.  Him being her TO is a natural obstacle for the writers to keep them apart and  draw out the storyline until he's no longer her TO before finally putting them together.  

With the departure of Bishop (my favourite character last season), I find myself more interested in the storylines of Chen and Bradford this season over anything involving Nolan. 

• Love 5

Is it just me, or was there no sense whatsoever to Jackson and Sterling "breaking up"? Unless they plan to spend the rest of their lives eating pizza in the apartment, someone will see them out and about, and put the pieces together.

Also, in addition to Abigail not being able to get her ride-along immediately, I'm thinking they probably wouldn't have let her go with a family member (which, yeah, Nolan isn't officially, but close enough that the district might worry about his being too lax with the rules with her).

On 3/8/2020 at 12:20 PM, paigow said:

Just really odd timing...dude brings a wake up cheeseburger, but not the ring...she never asked for it while seeing the department shrink, physical assessment....

The ring was probably booked into evidence after they found her. And I’m sure gettting it back was the last thing on Lucy’s mind.