Type keyword(s) to search

S45.E11: Adam Driver/Halsey

• Start Topic

Cold Open: Man, a lot's happened in a month. Like...an entire impeachment. Mitch and Susan Collins were the best targets for tonight. And wow, where'd they dig up Jon Lovitz for this?! Either way, great seeing him again. And then he went to hell. Of course not only does the Devil have a podcast, she invented them. Kate played her perfectly. Adam Driver is Jeffrey Epstein, that was perfect. As was Flo from Progressive, and Mr. Peanut.

"Just hanging." I mean, god DAMN, SNL.

Monologue: Adam was great here, I loved that this was him pretty much killing four minutes of time.

"Hey man, you look like a Star Wars fan, no offense." He just went for the jugular tonight and I am here for it.

Sleepover: I almost thought it was gonna be another "Aidy hits on the hot dad" sketch, and then Kate showed up with disheveled hair and soaking wet. And then SHE hit on the hot dad. Very silly sketch.

Undercover Boss: YES!! Now Kylo Ren is Randy The New Intern. Oh my god, that was amazing. I loved everything about it. "Okay, Boomer."

Del Taco: Good Neighbor made a Del Taco commercial, and it didn't disappoint. "Aww man, I'm all outta cash!" is gonna be stuck in my head for ages. 

The Science Room: Oh they brought this sketch again! I loved it, Adam Driver was great.

"What comes first?"
"The guy...?"

Oh my god.

Slow: Halsey in a sketch! And oh my god, Adam's voice in this was great. And yeah, I totally saw the punchline coming. I just loved that Adam's deep voice wasn't commented on at all.

WU: Yeah, this entire bit was great. There's not much you can do with Trump these days but play back his actual words. Loved the Gritty and Mr. Peanut jokes, and Melissa singing about White Male Rage.

Midieval Times: Adan Driver bringing a Games of Thrones character to Midieval Times is everything. I've been to the Jersey one on many a school trip.

Cheer: I haven't seen Cheer, so no I can't say "Have you watched CHEER?!" This was probably the weakest sketch of the night, this was a pretty dumb sketch.

Marrying Ketchup: This was delightfully silly, I love that Heidi would literally marry ketchup. I thought they'd reference Marriage Story here, but I liked this just enough. "It's 2023!"

"I'm...catsup!"
":O"

"And I don't RELISH telling you this..."

Was not expecting the show to close with Halsey's second performance. Maybe Adam was telling the truth that he wanted to make sure the last sketch was cut? Either way, I thought this episode was great.

• Love 15

I thought this show was great, too. Agree that Cheer was the weakest. The number of times that the audience gasped/groaned is always a sign, for me, that the show is pushing the boundaries. (My favorite SNL commercial is still the Keds one with the Heaven's Gate-type footage and Keds, "worn by levelheaded Christians.") 

I can't remember the last time almost every sketch was funny to me. 

Edited by Mystery
A beginning parentheses needs an ending parentheses
  • Love 12

I enjoyed the HELL out of this one! And heh, I don't just mean the Cold Open 😉 Though it felt like the best one in ages.

Lots of weird and silly sketches tonight. And almost everything worked for me, and I gotta say Adam Driver was probably the primary reason. God, he's good at this. Who would have thought? He's in the top three best hosts of this era. Seriously.

Yeah,the cold open. Man. Ok, it started clunky, and I wouldn't say Lovitz's Dershowitz was phenomenal or anything, but once it got to Hell, it was so much fun. And there were honest to god zingers with real bite to them.  For people who say that the cold opens are watered down and lazy, this one drew some blood. And it was nice to see Lovitz. I forget how long it's been since he was on, but he was cherishing every second, and it was nice to see him.

Oh I love Cecily's Susan Collins. One of my favorite characters she plays. Was Susan in Hell, too? she needed to be there, but I digress.

That's the way you do a monologue too. That was stellar.

Probably the only thing I didn't really care for was "Can You Get On the Matt?"   Just very Meh.

But Adam can sell just about anything. I even laughed throughout the dumb taco sketch.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 12
42 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Cold Open: Man, a lot's happened in a month. Like...an entire impeachment. Mitch and Susan Collins were the best targets for tonight. And wow, where'd they dig up Jon Lovitz for this?! Either way, great seeing him again. And then he went to hell. Of course not only does the Devil have a podcast, she invented them. Kate played her perfectly. Adam Driver is Jeffrey Epstein, that was perfect. As was Flo from Progressive, and Mr. Peanut.

"Just hanging." I mean, god DAMN, SNL.

This was awesome. 

42 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Monologue: Adam was great here, I loved that this was him pretty much killing four minutes of time.

"Hey man, you look like a Star Wars fan, no offense." He just went for the jugular tonight and I am here for it.

That was so weird and yet hilarious.

43 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

The Science Room: Oh they brought this sketch again! I loved it, Adam Driver was great.

"What comes first?"
"The guy...?"

Oh my god.

Was anyone else waiting for Driver to slip up and say "fucking" just like Sam Rockwell did? And when he said "effing", I wondered if THAT'S what Rockwell was supposed to say.

45 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Slow: Halsey in a sketch! And oh my god, Adam's voice in this was great. And yeah, I totally saw the punchline coming. I just loved that Adam's deep voice wasn't commented on at all.

This was one of the funniest parts.

46 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

WU: Yeah, this entire bit was great. There's not much you can do with Trump these days but play back his actual words. Loved the Gritty and Mr. Peanut jokes, and Melissa singing about White Male Rage.

It was great, although I didn't like the side pieces, but then again, I rarely do.

• Love 1

Somebody had done a brief recap of the latest premiere of The Bachelor, so I was expecting a "Pilot Hunk" sketch. Dummy that I was, I didn't even think we'd get another installment of "Undercover Ren."

Adam Driver is an odd-looking guy,right?

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Somebody had done a brief recap of the latest premiere of The Bachelor, so I was expecting a "Pilot Hunk" sketch.

Sounds like something they might save for JJ Watt.  I mean, if it's like the other Bachelor sketches, he basically has to sit there while the women do most of the work.

I missed Taran and Bobby in the Kylo Ren sketch.

They also could had done more of a tribute for Buck Henry, one of the great and legendary hosts that helped the show get off the ground initially. They could have shown one of his sketches.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 5

I agree about Buck Henry. I imagined them working in the closing of the final original era with Buck saying goodbye and marching the cast out the door, only fading to the picture they did show in place of the ON/OFF AIR sign. 

My favorite sketches of the night were the cold open (about the darker humor, I'd like to think Mr. Mike would've been proud) and the ketchup one (I was wondering, not seriously, if either Will Forte or Conan came back to write that one).

Edited by Mibbitmaker
To put "show" after "era", but it won't let me fix it.
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, vb68 said:

Sounds like something they might save for JJ Watt.  I mean, if it's like the other Bachelor sketches, he basically has to sit there while the women do most of the work.

I missed Taran and Bobby in the Kylo Ren sketch.

They also could had done more of a tribute for Buck Henry, one of the great and legendary hosts that helped the show get off the ground initially. They could have shown one of his sketches.

I guess they thought showing his episode in vintage was the tribute. I would have liked more, although I didn't even think they'd do that to be honest.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Mystery said:

Funny you say that; I was wondering during the show what he looked like as a marine. https://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/star-wars-adam-driver

A lot of the humor around Adam Driver in this ep seemed to be based on him being intense, which never works for me because he seems like a NY hipster doofus. He is the worst villain ever in SW, I laugh every time Kylo Ren throws a hissy fit. It’s like the Radio Shack nerd getting mad.

Some great zingers in the cold open. It’s nice to get away from Trump on the screen. 

I FF’d through both the girls and the sanitary pad and the Del Taco skits because repetition in skits annoys me. Keep it moving, I don’t laugh at people saying the same thing over and over. 

Undercover Boss was fun. Though I laughed at Randy like I do Kylo Ren.

Halsey did a nice job. Not sure her music is my thing but I appreciate her artistry.

”Practicing Removing crazy dictators around the world for 100 years.” Wow. That was good.

Aidy’s 7th grader seemed oddly low key.

I wish everyone would just ignore Mr Peanut and the agency who is patting itself on the back for all the free publicity.

The cheer skit was as annoying as the actual “sport.” Though putting “prayer on it” was funny.

And the ketchup bottle skit was a nod toward past SNL skits that were goofy and poignant and fun at the same time. Liked it.

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 1

From what somebody on Reddit says, the writing on the cups in the Kylo Ren sketch translates to "Lorne." That makes perfect sense, somehow.

Some of the sketches cut after dress.

I enjoyed the episode, aside from one or two sketches. Even those weren't bad, just not that great to me (Medieval Times and Cheer). Adam Driver was a wonderful host who elevated all the sketches he was in, and the night had a good, consistent energy. My favorite sketches of the night were the "I'm all outta cash" sketch (so annoying but hilarious) and the ketchup bottles. I also appreciated that they tried to use more of the cast. That's the direction I think they need to keep going in as some of their heavy hitters are probably on the way out. 

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Good grief, is Halsey still singing eff you songs to G-Eazy?

Was Adam's Slow voice electronically enhanced or was that all him? Either way, okay then, Adam Driver. How you doin'?

Her new album is called “Manic” and is a lot more about what the title implies.

Anyone else think the writers were pulling a Stefon with Colin during Melissa’s WU segment? He seemed genuinely bemused at the jokes at his expense, which were quite good (watching Joker every morning while he works out, and The Irishman by himself on Christmas).

The Cheer skit wasn’t great, but I’m a sucker for the musical guest showing up in LIVE sketches (which seems rare these days, although Halsey hosted last season). Also, I give Bowen Yang a gay salute for playing a part that required him to be carried by a beautiful male model. Y’know, for comedy.

• Love 7

Absolutely loved the monologue and want more of that. Of course, that sort of thing only works with a host who can hold their own, which Adam absolutely can. Color me shocked at how well he does on this show, honestly. I never expected him to be a good fit but he consistently is.

(Also, I would be very impressed if they were actually able to time out the show so that it ended with Halsey's second song as if the usual 10-to-1 sketch had been cut. Given how precisely this show has to run and rarely does, that would be quite an achievement.)

I thought Chris was the secret best part of the Del Taco sketch. "Did you get that?" "No!"

"My older sister says the guy always comes first" might be one of the best jokes this show has had in years.

The ketchup sketch was pure post-Update weirdness, but I didn't get it when Cecily said that it was 2023 and then they randomly flashed 2023 on the screen.

Overall, fantastic show. Great energy, every cast member got a chance to shine (except Pete but...you know), and a super engaged audience. Folks, we love to see it.

12 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Adam Driver is an odd-looking guy,right?

42 minutes ago, JakeyJokes said:

Anyone else think the writers were pulling a Stefon with Colin during Melissa’s WU segment? He seemed genuinely bemused at the jokes at his expense, which were quite good (watching Joker every morning while he works out, and The Irishman by himself on Christmas).

A lot of Update felt like that, with both Colin and Michael. The equal pay joke was clearly supposed to be "women will finally make as much as men" but Michael said "women will still make as much as men" which, legitimacy of the gender pay gap aside, doesn't make any sense in context.

Also Colin almost saying the r-word also felt unplanned, though it's possible he was just really good at acting like that was the case (words I never thought I'd type).

• Love 7
19 hours ago, Mibbitmaker said:

My favorite sketches of the night were the cold open (about the darker humor, I'd like to think Mr. Mike would've been proud) and the ketchup one (I was wondering, not seriously, if either Will Forte or Conan came back to write that one).

Who’s Mr. Mike?

9 hours ago, helenamonster said:

The ketchup sketch was pure post-Update weirdness, but I didn't get it when Cecily said that it was 2023 and then they randomly flashed 2023 on the screen.

They did the dates like that in “Marriage Story” so I assume the ketchup sketch was kind of a take-off on that.

Edited by heatherchandler
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

I could watch a Kyle Ren Undercover Boss sketch every week.

I liked the little catsup packet in the crib.

I liked Halsey's second song.  The first one kind of confused me, it just got me wondering why she was dressed like a stripper and why an artist wants to portray herself like that.  Sex sells, and if you've got it, flaunt it, I guess.

• Love 7

Fun episode. Adam Driver has become one of my absolute favorite actors. His versatility is amazing. He has total commitment to each sketch and his comfort with the cast is evident.

Halsey’s second song sounds like another song, but I can’t put my finger on it. Anyone hear something familiar in that song?

• Love 4

I'm not super duper familiar with the work of Adam Driver, but I've seen him in a few roles and thought he was a great actor. But seeing him on SNL...he's just SO GOOD. So well-rounded. He can really do comedy and tragedy equally well. And he never broke once, which was impressive. I've watched several of his past skits from previous hosting gigs and he really elevates the material every single time.

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

Halsey’s second song sounds like another song, but I can’t put my finger on it. Anyone hear something familiar in that song?

Yes, but I can't figure it out either. I was certain I already knew the song with different words for at least the beginning of it. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I thought Chris was the secret best part of the Del Taco sketch. "Did you get that?" "No!"

I loved this part, too. Chris can make bad sketches better. That's not to say that the Del Taco sketch was bad. Just the opposite. Kyle and Beck repeating "Ah man, I'm all out of cash!" got funnier and funnier. And Adam's remarks cracked me up, too. "You don't want to kill yourself. You just want a taco!"

I didn't get that either. (And I don't remember it being part of Marriage Story.) Ketchup is still very popular, so Cecily's saying it was not popular maybe had to be explained by saying this was in the future. Anyway, I loved this sketch. So odd, so funny. My only criticism is that we didn't need to go back to the diner with Heidi making the bottles kiss.

Loved the monologue. Adam needs to do some comedies. 

Undercover Boss was outstanding.

The Science Room was outstanding. I can't get enough of those stupid kids. Sam Rockwell was good, but Adam was perfect.

I wasn't so crazy about the sleepover sketch. Adam was good, of course, but I got tired of Kate's character. BTW, who was the dad's daughter?

The Cheer sketch was so-so, though I enjoyed Adam's accent.

Medieval Times was pretty good, mainly for Adam's performance -- See a trend here? -- and I loved Bowen's reaction to being called a Mongolian. "NO!"

On WU, Lev Parnas being described as an adult Cabbage Patch doll was so perfect! I also liked Melissa's movie songs about white male rage. Oh, but that pic of the goat with the human face is going to give me nightmares.

The Cold Open was good. I love Cecily's Susan Collins and Beck's McConnell. Loved seeing Jon Lovitz again. I don't think he did an impression at all of Dershowitz, but who cares! He was funny. 

Great show. 

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I wasn't so crazy about the sleepover sketch. Adam was good, of course, but I got tired of Kate's character. BTW, who was the dad's daughter?

Aidy. I think to assure us early on that this wasn't going to be another one of her "tweeny-bopper in love with an adult" characters.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, heatherchandler said:

Who’s Mr. Mike?

Michael O'Donoghue.

More detail on the cut pieces and changes in the sketches that did air.

17 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I loved this part, too. Chris can make bad sketches better. That's not to say that the Del Taco sketch was bad. Just the opposite. Kyle and Beck repeating "Ah man, I'm all out of cash!" got funnier and funnier. And Adam's remarks cracked me up, too. "You don't want to kill yourself. You just want a taco!"

Usually I think Chris is better in the pre-tapes, but he was perfect here. 

One of the pleasant surprises of last night's episode was for once I thought they got a lot of the endings right. 

• Love 1

For some reason my DVR only recorded the last hour, so I missed the opening and monologue. I watched them both online and I’m so glad I did. The cold opening was absolutely SAVAGE and Driver’s monologue was hysterical. He has great comedic timing. In my book, he is welcome to come back to SNL anytime. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Pete Martell said:

Michael O'Donoghue.

More detail on the cut pieces and changes in the sketches that did air.

Sounds like Chloe kind of got the shaft here, which isn't too surprising for a newbie. Hopefully if there's some shakeup in the cast, as most seem to think will happen, she'll get more of a chance to shine. (Not that I'm hoping people leave, just that the show will find more room for her if they do).

15 hours ago, Mibbitmaker said:

4 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Who’s Mr. Mike?

2 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Michael O'Donoghue.

Wait, I just watched a couple of the Season 1 episodes with Buck Henry.  Was "Mike" the guy that did the impressions of people having needles stuck in their eyes?  I wondered if he went anywhere!!  Dark humor, exactly.

• Love 1

I can't get Melissa's Oscar's ditty out of my head.

"White male rage, white male rage, white male rage."  Goddamnit!

(Oops, that was a little white male rage-- damn you Villasenor!!)

(Oh shit, there it is again.)

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

Beck’s Mitch McConnell impression in the cold open was outstanding! He got the round eyes down, and everything. The whole sketch was great. 

My other two favorites were Undercover Boss and PBS Science Room—both laugh-out-loud funny returns.

I’m not normally a huge fan of Travel Expert Carrie Krum, but this time the timing and material clicked perfectly! (Especially cute, apparently there was a group of Floridians in the audience.)

Melissa’s Oscars songs themselves were not my favorite sketch idea, but I still appreciated them as the message was pretty much exactly how I felt about the nominations. And it was funny that Michael had obviously been slipping jokes into Colin’s cue cards. 

Adam Driver really is an excellent host.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Oh man if Che wrote that joke for Colin, that's awesome. I love how Colin's reaction!

Are you talking about the White Man Rage (which that link seems to go to) or the joke Colin couldn’t finish (when the last word started with re- an apparently rhymed with “ard”? (And then Che said something like “I would’ve done it”)

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Are you talking about the White Man Rage (which that link seems to go to) or the joke Colin couldn’t finish (when the last word started with re- an apparently rhymed with “ard”? (And then Che said something like “I would’ve done it”)

After each verse of Melissa's song, Colin had lines about how many times he had watched The Joker and watching The Irishman alone on Christmas day. Something about the way his lips twitched as he said them gave the impression that he was seeing those lines for the first time.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Melissa’s “White Male Rage” song was adorable...as were Colin’s “confessions” that he worked out to Joker every day and that he watched The Irishman alone on Christmas Day. Hee.

Hearing all the groans in response to “Just hanging” was a great reminder of why live audiences are so much fun.

The “Aw, man, I’m all out of cash!” sketch had a very old-school humour feel to it.

• Love 3

I have to go against the grain as I thought this episode was actually really bad.  The fast forward ratio for me was especially high.  I actually thought the kid in the Medieval Times sketch gave the best performance of the night.

And given her own checkered history, Melissa really should stay clear of any sketches where she pats herself on the back for her wokeness.

• Love 1

I continue to marvel at Adam's skills and confidence as a host.

How many other hosts would be willing to take on Jeffrey Epstein in the manner that Adam did here?  I would think very few. 

• Love 4
On 1/26/2020 at 2:24 AM, vb68 said:

["Pilot Hunk"] sounds like something they might save for JJ Watt.  I mean, if it's like the other Bachelor sketches, he basically has to sit there while the women do most of the work.

You were right. Well done. 👍

• Love 1
On 1/26/2020 at 1:30 PM, JakeyJokes said:

The Cheer skit wasn’t great, but I’m a sucker for the musical guest showing up in LIVE sketches (which seems rare these days, although Halsey hosted last season). 

I usually like it when the musical guest does that, but this one really irked me, since it seemed like the only reason Halsey was in it was to show off the flexibility move that she did.

On 1/26/2020 at 9:23 PM, ahisma said:

Beck’s Mitch McConnell impression in the cold open was outstanding! He got the round eyes down, and everything. The whole sketch was great. 

Of every SNL skit I have ever seen, going back to the original cast, I have NEVER seen a make-up job that looked more like the real person.  When they first showed him, I actually had a conversation with myself, rapidly cycling through thinking for a second that it was the real McConnell, and then deciding that there was no way on earth that McConnell would be on the show, much less in the skit.

On 1/26/2020 at 9:23 PM, ahisma said:

My other two favorites were Undercover Boss and PBS Science Room—both laugh-out-loud funny returns.

Adam as the science teacher getting increasingly angry was exceptional, and when he threw something in anger, I laughed so hard that I started crying.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1