Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E01: Manhunter / S07.E02: Captain Kim

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Please be sure to read Notes from the Mod before posting in an episode topic. Thank you!

• Start Topic

Jake leads a manhunt after an assassination attempt on a city councilor. Holt adjusts to his new position as a uniformed officer.

and

A new captain at the Nine-Nine attempts to ingratiate herself with Jake and the squad by inviting them over to her house for a dinner party.

Airing Thursday, February 6, 2020.

• Love 1

Captain Kim was too good to be true, she must have had some deep, dark secret! The episode was reminiscent of S1's "The Party", only this time instead of being on the receiving end of the Nine-Nine's shenanigans, Holt was dishing it out. Oh Raymond, you've become one of the gang!

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Are we playing 'hide the bump' with Melissa again?

So happy to have my Nine-Nine peep back!

No kidding!  I don’t think I looked at Amy’s face the entire episode. I was watching how they disguised the bump.  Baby peraltiago soon!

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is finally back and the television world is better for it!

Having two episodes back-to-back kind of blend a few things together, but I like the overall idea of not just Holt struggling to accept being a uniform cop now, but Jake having to deal with actually being Holt's superior for now, and the awkwardness surrounding it.  It's an interesting new dynamic so far, and I enjoy watching how Andy Samberg and Andre Braugher play it.

The pregnancy scare with Amy does make me think they might actually make Amy get pregnant this time, instead of trying to hide or simply ignore Melissa Fumero's real life pregnancy like they did last time.  We'll see how this plays out, but I did enjoy more Rosa/Amy scenes!

Speaking of Rosa, I know the reason she was gone for the second episode was because she apparently had the weekend off, but I wonder if Stephanie Beatriz needed extra days off for another or project or something.

Kind of bummed that Captain Kim is already gone.  It was kind of nice seeing a non-Holt captain character that was nice and helpful to the squad, and the actress was very winning.  Wouldn't mind seeing her again.  Same with Debbie.  She was such a dork, but Vanessa Bayer played her perfectly!

Oh, Terry!  It is probably best for any parent to not know everything that their children have said about them!

Call me an Amy, but I'm kind of curious about these new binders that will take organization to a whole new level!

So thrilled that the show is back!  NINE-NINE!!!

• Love 19
2 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

The pregnancy scare with Amy does make me think they might actually make Amy get pregnant this time, instead of trying to hide or simply ignore Melissa Fumero's real life pregnancy like they did last time.  We'll see how this plays out, but I did enjoy more Rosa/Amy scenes!

Speaking of Rosa, I know the reason she was gone for the second episode was because she apparently had the weekend off, but I wonder if Stephanie Beatriz needed extra days off for another or project or something.

She did! And it’s pretty awesome. (No worries, this was the only episode affected) This article explains more about it  

https://tvline.com/2020/02/06/brooklyn-nine-nine-recap-season-7-episode-2-captain-kim/

And apparently they decided to do a Peraltiago baby story before they found out Melissa was pregnant. https://tvline.com/2020/02/06/brooklyn-nine-nine-recap-season-7-episode-1-jake-amy-premiere/

Overall happy the show is back, as I miss The Good Place since it moved to the dot of the i.

Edited by Trillium
  • Love 7

Oh man, welcome back, 99! 

This was a solid two episode premiere. I really liked seeing the dynamics between Jake and Holt. I totally get why Holt found it difficult to stand down. It must be awkward to be demoted in that way and have Jake be superior to you. I can see why he took charge once again, but Jake also did a good thing in listening to Holt. He's right in that Holt still has his instincts from years of experience. He's not some rookie cop. 

And Debbie was great. Vanessa Bayer played her character well. I was laughing at many of Debbie's lines. 

Amy's potential pregnancy storyline was well done. I had a good chuckle at Terry coming in and misinterpreting these moments as a sign that he was being talked about. I get that feeling completely. But I also liked her scene with Jake at the end of episode 1. I think this was handled better than their anniversary episode when they were talking about kids last season. I think they're actually going to go with Amy being pregnant, and that works for me.

Plus, is this one of the very rare times that a couple will get pregnant ON PURPOSE? Seriously, all TV shows have their female characters accidentally get pregnant. It's so rare to hear about them actually trying to get pregnant. So it's a nice, refreshing change. 

As for episode 2...I really liked Captain Kim. She was a great guest star. I laughed at her dinner party and how she catered to basically everyone. I also like that she was being genuine. 

• Love 16

It’s sad that the precinct is so mistrusting of the captain Wunch might’ve assigned them (based on what they’ve gotten in the past) that they ruined what they got. 

40 minutes ago, Gummo said:

I haven't watched SNL in years so I only knew Officer Debbie as Evie Russell, the Emotional Vampire from What We Do In the Shadows, and loved seeing her!

Oh right, that was her! She also was in the Will and Grace episode that came on right after this as Karen’s assistant. 

• Love 2

I’m so happy about the prospect of a Jake/Amy baby! I didn’t know Melissa Fumero was pregnant in real life - that’s fun. This episode did just confirm for me how dumb last season’s episode about Jake not being sure he wanted to be a dad was. That plus rewatching the whole series.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, bethy said:

I’m so happy about the prospect of a Jake/Amy baby! I didn’t know Melissa Fumero was pregnant in real life - that’s fun. This episode did just confirm for me how dumb last season’s episode about Jake not being sure he wanted to be a dad was. That plus rewatching the whole series.

I've honestly decided to completely erase that particular episode from existence. To me, it never happened, and you can't tell me otherwise! 

I have been advocating for a pregnant Amy for a couple of seasons, since I know Melissa would absolutely kill it, but I'm glad they waited until now. They allowed Jake/Amy to live their married life for a year and it makes sense that, if they both want kids, that they are ready to take that next step.

• Love 5

"Debbie there's no way you told me that" is probably the best line of these episodes 😂😂😂.

Jake being anti-water is a great recurring joke like when he counted the fat on top of his pizza into his liquid intake.

• Love 16

I don't know how this show manages to still feel fresh in its seventh season. None of the characters have been flanderized, none of them are radically different from their original selves, and the humour is still razor sharp.

"I'm your sidekick, the Boyhunter." This show never seems to run out of ways to make Charles accidentally sound creepy.

Writers: "Maybe if we keep Amy in a bulky, kevlar vest all season, people won't notice that she clearly missed her period about six months ago."

If you're going to give Holt a partner, you'd better make it as funny as you can, and giving him a sweet-natured, touchy-feely goof (albeit one with a backstory that will surely be the premise of an entire police procedural show, at some point in the near future) is pretty much going to do it. And having him be petulant and unable to keep from taking over the case works too. It's the perfect example of how ridiculous he can be while still keeping his dignity.

His passive aggressive pigeon shooing was great too. And, "I don't want to hear you badmouthing the new captain around the office. Do it surreptitiously."

I liked Captain Kim, and wish she'd stuck around for longer. The idea of them actually having a good captain who they can't stand just because she's not Holt had more comedy legs than one episode. And Amy being the buzzkill narc that her original character outline suggested she might be was fun too.

• Love 18

That was a great start to the season.

Poor Holt. Cheddar even lost respect for him. I liked the new dynamics with Holt being a uniform cop. 

Debbie was great! I loved her love for picking up cones and foot fives.

The party was fun. Amy the narc. Holt attempts at causing a drunken scene cracked me up. I'm sad that Captain Kim is gone already. 

• Love 11

"I'm your sidekick, the Boyhunter." This show never seems to run out of ways to make Charles accidentally sound creepy.

"I've had a man deep inside of me all along."

I loved how Jake kept trying to convince everyone Captain Kim was evil while Holt just stood there going "Mmmm hmmmm."

The thing about this show is that I could just go thru the script line by line and say how I loved each and every one of them. The dialogue is so sharp. This show has the best writers on TV.

• Love 22
4 hours ago, Gummo said:

I haven't watched SNL in years so I only knew Officer Debbie as Evie Russell, the Emotional Vampire from What We Do In the Shadows, and loved seeing her!

The 99 is back!

I also liked her character in this show! It was such a nice change from Evie. She does play both parts beautifully though.

My favorite line was when Jake and Holt were looking for pictures as evidence that Kim and Wunch were in cahoots and Holt said something like, "Vampires aren't captured on film. Maybe you should try a 17th century wooden lithograph."

I know the line isn't accurate, but it's the best I can remember! I just love the way Andre Braugher slid that line in toward the tail end of their conversation. Even when Wunch isn't around, Holt has to constantly call her terrible names! 😍

• LOL 2
  • Love 10

Loved the two episodes back-to-back.  I especially love it when they put Rosa and Amy together, they always crack me up as a team and Rosa has become softer with Amy and not as critical of her quirkiness. ”Glub, glub, glub.

Oh, damn, a baby Peraltiago, would really bring out the creepy in Charles' Jake adoration.

Amy outright abused Detective Fuzzy Paws. The fact that Hitchcock doused himself in a cologne called ”Zika” was funny so was the awkward dabbing when the Lt. interrupted them.

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 5

I hope Captain Kim changes her mind. We've already seen incompetent and obnoxious Holt replacements (ex. "that's gonna leave a mark" guy); let's see the gang engage with an awesome one. Loved Vanessa Bayer as Officer Debbie, and I hope to see more (but not too much) of her and the improbably cool cop with the celebrity friends. Who knew that Rosa's jacket had so much power? It was nice seeing Charles as more than just the butt of a joke.

Oh, Nine-nine. How I've missed you.

• Love 4

Was Debbie's twin sister murdered by a man in a yellow sweater?! The one case she cant solve? I love Debbie already, I desperately hope to see her return!

Its so great to have this show back again! It has so many great lines, if I start quoting them all, I fear that I am just typing out the whole script. "I hate this new dynamic!" 

I am rather sad that Captain Kim is gone already, she was a lot of fun and her actress seemed to slide into the ensemble really easily. Glad that she was being real the whole time and really was a good person who wanted to support the squad. Oh Jake. "Limo drivers are the real problem!" 

Not only do we get a new season, we get a gift to go with it...a Peraltiago baby! I can only imagine what that baby will be like, filling up binders and quitting Die Hard.

• Love 11
13 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Not only do we get a new season, we get a gift to go with it...a Peraltiago baby! I can only imagine what that baby will be like, filling up binders and quitting Die Hard.

Speaking of Binders, I laughed when Jake Pwned Amy with the Officer who was a Binder innovator.  Way to get your Honey back, Jake.  Using her own weakness against her.  Well done, Jake.   So glad Charles is back to his Jakey persona. "Boyhunter, indeed!" .   Officer Debbie was a welcome addition and she fit right in.  She can be the new Gina.  Holt's comment about "I'm reporting from the Alley many miles away from the scene of the crime!".  "Hold on, a Pigeon is approaching!"  "Abort the mission!". <to the pigeon>  "Shoo, Shoo, Shoo!" HA!!!

23 hours ago, iMonrey said:

"I've had a man deep inside of me all along.".

Or the line ”Do you want me to warm up your throat?”   WTF???  His character sometimes sounds like Raj from the ”The Big Bang Theory”; sometimes making awkward sexually confusing comments 

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 2

I wonder if the captain this season is going to be like the secretaries on Murphy Brown-a running gag in that there's a new one almost every week. Overall, I really enjoyed these two episodes.

Charles and Amy are going to have so many arguments about all things baby related, and Jake is going to have to step in to remind Charles that he is the father, not Charles. 

• Love 2

Rosa has become softer with Amy

Well if you can call "looking for someone to kick" softer, then sure. 😊

Officer Debbie was a welcome addition and she fit right in.  She can be the new Gina. 

Oh wow, Gina. Completely forgot about her, didn't even miss her. I never ever hated her that much, but the show does just fine without her, and some would argue is better off.

I wonder if the captain this season is going to be like the secretaries on Murphy Brown-a running gag in that there's a new one almost every week. 

I hope not because then every episode will revolve around the new captain. I suspect that Holt's suspension will be lifted at some point and he'll resume that position some time soon.

• Love 1

Well I guess I have the UOs. I didn't like the first ep. The long breaks in between the seasons does this show no favours. I completely forgot about it and I have no recollection of why Holt is demoted.

I'm also not into a baby storyline. 

I did like the second ep more and I liked all of Holt's reactions.

• Love 4
On 2/7/2020 at 9:14 PM, tennisgurl said:

I am rather sad that Captain Kim is gone already, she was a lot of fun and her actress seemed to slide into the ensemble really easily. Glad that she was being real the whole time and really was a good person who wanted to support the squad. 

Dun, dun, dun: she lied about her favorite skatepark tricks. There is no such thing as a Ginger Snap or Roast Beef Grab. 

Ducking...

How the heck can someone say “carrots” (his favorite dessert) in a way that results in me giggling, uncontrollably, all by myself, at 1:30 am?

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, cleo said:

Well I guess I have the UOs. I didn't like the first ep. The long breaks in between the seasons does this show no favours. I completely forgot about it and I have no recollection of why Holt is demoted.

I did like the second ep more and I liked all of Holt's reactions.

I actually forgot why Holt is demoted too, so I re-watched the last episode of the previous season. Looks like it's his own fault: he let it slip to Madeline Wuncth that he only spent 1 month as a patrol officer before making detective, and that is against regulations because it has to be at least a year. So she sent him back to the lowest rank to do his time, and when the 1 year expires he can go back to being a captain.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

So glad the show is back. I loved both eps.

In the first one, Holt being unable to stop being a detective, not to mention Captain, was great. Officer Debbie was the perfect pairing. I've always loved Vanessa Bayer, and she was hilarious here. I hope we see her again.

So funny when Holt says that Cheddar only poops for Kevin. Oh, and his thinking that McNuggets could be some type of paella.

How has it taken this long for the show to use the line, "Forget it, Jake..."?

I enjoyed Charles singing Manhunter and even just snapping his fingers.

I can't say I'm sad that Captain Kim left. I was suspicious of her all along, just as Jake was, but once it turned out that she was sincere, she became rather boring to me. Of course if she were in real life, she'd make a fantastic boss, but she didn't offer enough conflict to be a continuing character.

Jake: What a gigantic turd.
Holt: Agreed. An unformed pile.

• Love 2
On 2/7/2020 at 9:16 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Magic Jacket Chuck was so hilarious. 

I laughed so hard when he was talking to that woman about working out in his garage and doing the rope thing! I am still laughing at it! Funniest thing for me on this show in a while and that's saying a lot because it's so funny.

Also, I'm totally going to use "You've been Chapar-owned" on my kids soon........

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
On 2/7/2020 at 9:16 AM, Tachi Rocinante said:

Vanessa Bayer was miscast - each time she spoke,  it sounded like an SNL skit.

Awww.  I LOVED Officer Debbie.  I hope she stays and maybe finds her sister's killer?

On 2/7/2020 at 12:19 PM, iMonrey said:

The thing about this show is that I could just go thru the script line by line and say how I loved each and every one of them. The dialogue is so sharp. This show has the best writers on TV.

Right?  I'm like... where do you even being talking about it because every line was funny you just want to quote funny lines.  Or just the sight gag of Hitchcock and Scully settling back in their perfect chairs both saying 'Ohhhh." in unison.

On 2/7/2020 at 10:14 PM, tennisgurl said:

I am rather sad that Captain Kim is gone already, she was a lot of fun and her actress seemed to slide into the ensemble really easily.

Wasn't she though?  I was waiting for the other show to drop and show her and being evil and she wasn't.  I loved Captain Kim. 

On 2/8/2020 at 12:00 PM, Sarah 103 said:

I wonder if the captain this season is going to be like the secretaries on Murphy Brown-a running gag in that there's a new one almost every week. Overall, I really enjoyed these two episodes.

Heh.  I was thinking the same thing only my analogy was going to be comparing it to the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor in Harry Potter.  LOL.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 8
16 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Awww.  I LOVED Officer Debbie.  I hope she stays and maybe finds her sister's killer?

Right?  I'm like... where do you even being talking about it because every line was funny you just want to quote funny lines.  Or just the sight gag of Hitchcock and Scully settling back in their perfect chairs both saying 'Ohhhh." in unison.

Wasn't she though?  I was waiting for the other show to drop and show her and being evil and she wasn't.  I loved Captain Kim. 

Heh.  I was thinking the same thing only my analogy was going to be comparing it to the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor in Harry Potter.  LOL.

Loooooved your entire post, but especially the Defense Against the Dark Arts reference!!!!

• Love 1
On 2/6/2020 at 8:43 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Aw dammit Jake, I liked Captain Kim!

Oh my GOD I just realized she is from "Bring it On".

On 2/7/2020 at 8:16 AM, Tachi Rocinante said:

Vanessa Bayer was miscast - each time she spoke,  it sounded like an SNL skit.

I actually liked her here a lot, and I am not a big fan of hers on SNL. 

On 2/9/2020 at 3:44 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

She knows how they like to sit.

I loved that line.  Because I love to sit too.  It's sad that I can relate to Scully and Hitchcock so much 😞 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 2/8/2020 at 10:08 PM, cleo said:

Same. There were two things that bothered me last season (Jake changing his mind about wanting kids, and the way the storyline with Nikolaj's biological father was handled) so I was close to being done, anyway, but now that a baby storyline is actually happening, it sealed it. I also just didn't think the first episode was funny at all. So I ended up deleting the second episode without watching it and removed the show from my DVR schedule. It's also possible I'm letting my utter hatred of the Good Place finale affect my opinion here, but...I'm just over this show.

• Love 1

Loved Amy the NARC ("You've been Chaper-OWNED!"), but also that Jake knows how to get around his wife ("The future of binders!"). And I'm glad Jake & Amy had a (relatively) mature discussion about having kids.

Wow, Holt is a terrible subordinate. I mean, obviously he didn't deserve his demotion and it must be had taking orders from people he used to order around, but he was still terrible at taking orders.