Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E00: Tamy & Karina

• Start Topic

Tamy faces a dilemma after her husband gives her an ultimatum of moving away from Houston; Karina's weight loss begins to slow, but she finds happiness dating a guy Dr. Now is surprised to see in his clinic again.

This is a where are they now episode.

Original air date 2019.12.18

I hadn't even looked at the TLC schedule. But my DVR caught this episode and when I saw it was recorded later in the evening, I watched it, with heavy use of the FF key. Actually the sepia coloring for the old stuff is useful when you're doing that. TBH i'm kind of over the bathing/toilet scenes and endless whining about "how I got this way." I just want to see what they do next.

Anyway, I don't remember Tamy at all and thought Karina was a smug little user. I give Tamy props for somehow managing to get that mass removed, and recovering her mobility, despite that 180 pound mass of useless human that she seems so attached to. I hope her son is having a better life, assuming he's no longer his mother's homebound caregiver.

Karina's still a user, and I suppose she and the loathsome Gilbert are a match made in heaven.

What Tamy and Karina have in common: significant others I'd like to punch.  

Maybe the editing monkeys are slyly creating a nicely curated set of episodes, The Punchables. This def would be part of that set. Heh.

• LOL 7
  • Love 11

I love the camera crews on this show.    They included shots of Gilbert out drinking, and then show him telling Dr. Now he has quit alcohol.     Yes, Gilbert quit drinking while he was in Dr. Now's office.      

Karina and Lupe's ex Gilbert is bizarre.     Especially since he took a trip to L.A. when Lupe's fiance died, and she was in the hospital, then apparently returned to his new girlfriend, Karina.  We only had Lupe's statement about Gilbert's 'needs' ripping her sutures, and ignoring the infection.  I think they both cheated, and that was just their sick relationship.     

Karina taking over Lupe's leftovers is strange, but the fact Karina is now gaining is no surprise.   I bet since Gilbert is drinking (the camera crew showed it), that Karina is hitting happy hour with him.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5

Karina said that he is her first-ever boyfriend... really, girl, that's what you decided to settle on right out of the gate?   Though maybe her penchant for crazy make-up scared off all the decent guys?   

Edited by Hellga
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I cannot BELIEVE I missed the live chat! I'll be catching up later today. Glad to be back with my Pounder peeps!

I missed it, too, and now I am busy catching up on all the comments.  I have both shows on the DVR;  last night I watched Lonnie/John first then fell asleep halfway through Tamy/Karine.  I don't think I cared for them much the first time around.  I wish they would get new scriptwriters as the long run on sentences in the droning narrations drive me batty, although last night I think they lulled me to sleep.

I think there was another Tammy/Tamy in another season.

• Love 3
Just now, sainte-chapelle said:

Ohhh just saw this on my DVR, along with a sneak peak at an episode featuring two brothers. Glad this show is back and Gilbert is gross.

You are glad Gilbert is gross?😂😂

• LOL 4
50 minutes ago, Twopper said:

You are glad Gilbert is gross?😂😂

😉 But of course, aren't we all entertained?  Gilbert the famewhore should team up with Jesse and Tom from 90 fiancée. James is a selfish prick. Dr Now "This is not a magic show" 😂

Edited by sainte-chapelle
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

It kills me to hear ridiculous statements come out of the mouths of these women and men like they don't "have time" to deal with "the program" or that Dr Now isn't "helping them" with weight loss. 

Karina is the new Queen of Denial. You are almost 400 lbs but "don't eat anything" and are somehow maintaining almost 400 lbs. You don't think you have emotional/habitual issues keeping you from healthy living. You start dating...*gag*...Gilbert and now "don't have time" for Dr Now because he's apparently "keeping you stuck" in this plateau and not helping you? You "don't understand" how you're not losing weight? WAKE THE FUCK UP!

*Ahem*

Tamy. Seriously? You took that POS back and then let him order you to move back to Kentucky, leave Dr Now's program (despite your success on it) or he'd leave you again? And you did it.  

I hope this isn't an indicator of Season 8 or I can already tell I'll be skipping a lot of episodes!

• Love 10

I had no idea!  Just looked at my TIVO and yep, there it is.

Gilbert, who tore up Lupe's post surgery body because he just would die without having relations with her.  Sick, sick man.  

Him I remember, but don't remember Tamy or Karina at all.  

• Love 1

Actually, the only one who said that Gilbert ripped Lupe's stitches was Lupe.    She was also the one that claimed he cheated on her several times, but she was cheating on him too.     They were a perfect match.    

I love the camera people who show the truth on these episodes.    I loved when Gilbert lied to Dr. Now, and said he wasn't drinking.  Then cue the film of Gilbert blotto at the bar.   Many of the Poundticipants make terrible choices in romantic partners, but recycling Gilbert by Karina is a new low.    I'm sure she'll be totally shocked when she gains a lot of weight again.    

I suspect a lot of the poundticipants know each other.    There have been a lot of pictures of various poundticipants.    And some must run into each other at the office, or when filming their own segments.    Especially the ones filming the same season or WATN for that season, must see each other pretty often at Dr. Now's, or the other places that show up on TV.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

Finally made it through this episode and ... wow. It wasn't even the morbid obesity or the female scrotal sac that depressed me as much as the lack of dignity these two women have for themselves. Tamy (good lord, lady -- your name should have TWO Ms!) would do anything to take back her cheating troll husband and Karina who would upend her "journey" because she finally snagged herself a boyfriend whose fetish is morbidly obese women. The both of them depressed the shit out of me with their desperate desire to cling on to some loser.

A big LOL for Dr Now who asked Karina, "What do you think this is? Some kind of magic show?" when she whipped out the "I don't eat much" excuse for why she only lost two pounds in two months. I've a feeling that two pounds was lost in the toilet the morning of her weigh in when she evacuated the three pizzas and five mixed drinks from the night before. 

Is there some really weird Facebook group for 600 Pounders and the Losers Who Love Them?  What’s the likelihood that Gilbert would find Karina without that kind of a connection?

i thought it was odd that the show would film another doctor treating one of Dr Now’s patients, and frankly ending up with the result that Dr Now said wasn’t possible. Particularly since Dr Now’s son is the EP. But maybe the old guy is slowing down and they’re looking for a replacement. Gotta keep the literal gravy train running. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

i thought it was odd that the show would film another doctor treating one of Dr Now’s patients, and frankly ending up with the result that Dr Now said wasn’t possible. Particularly since Dr Now’s son is the EP. But maybe the old guy is slowing down and they’re looking for a replacement. Gotta keep the literal gravy train running. 

Honestly I was relieved that she found a plastic surgeon to do this surgery. Dr. Now might be a brilliant gastric surgeon, but his skin removals always look horrifying. From what I could tell, Tami’s result looks amazing.

Edited by gardendiva
Edited quoted clip to include just what I was replying to
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Finally made it through this episode and ... wow. It wasn't even the morbid obesity or the female scrotal sac that depressed me as much as the lack of dignity these two women have for themselves. Tamy (good lord, lady -- your name should have TWO Ms!) would do anything to take back her cheating troll husband and Karina who would upend her "journey" because she finally snagged herself a boyfriend whose fetish is morbidly obese women. The both of them depressed the shit out of me with their desperate desire to cling on to some loser.

A big LOL for Dr Now who asked Karina, "What do you think this is? Some kind of magic show?" when she whipped out the "I don't eat much" excuse for why she only lost two pounds in two months.

She was listed as Tamy Lyn on this forum when her episode aired.   I thought there was another woman named Tammy with dark hair who got really thin (but I can't find it so I guess there wasn't).

At least Karina isn't with Lee.

• Love 1

I said it last season and I will say it again... I live in San Antonio, and if I ever see any of these dimwits out and about I will make a full report.  But more importantly I will kick Gilbert in the nuts and slap Karina upside the head.  (Not literally.)  Sadly I have never seen any of the local pounders in person.  I thought I'd at least catch a Zsalynn sighting.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

Karina's constant, "Dr. Now was too hard on me" remark after every appointment made me just shake my head. He is exactly right, won't be long before she's back to where she started or worse. And dating Lupe's castoff will surely solidify her downfall.  

On 12/19/2019 at 5:21 PM, Lunula said:

Tamy. Seriously? You took that POS back and then let him order you to move back to Kentucky, leave Dr Now's program (despite your success on it) or he'd leave you again? And you did it.  

OMG...talk about a narcissistic emotional abuser. ARGH!!!! I'm SO glad she still got the much needed surgery and she was feeling and doing so well at the end. But that man is toxic and needs to be kicked to the curb like yesterday! 

• Love 7
20 hours ago, gardendiva said:

Honestly I was relieved that she found a plastic surgeon to do this surgery. Dr. Now might be a brilliant gastric surgeon, but his skin removals always look horrifying. From what I could tell, Tami’s result looks amazing.

I've also thought that some of Dr. Now's skin removal surgeries didn't look so good when healed. OTOH he is actually a skilled vascular surgeon. Which is a critical skill for those skin removal surgeries on formerly superobese patients. Their blood vessels grew huge to carry blood to maintain those huge weights. And when they lose the weight the blood vessels don't just happily shrink back to normal. So when a surgeon cuts into those masses, they have to be ready to deal with a higher than usual bleeding risk scenario. That's where a skilled vascular surgeon is so valuable.

I noticed that Tamy's surgeon remarked during the procedure, on how big those blood vessels were. 

But yes, I'm glad Tamy found a plastic surgeon who could not only remove the mass without complications but achieve, I hope, a decent appearance. I'm sorry if some of Dr. Now's skin removal patients ended up with unattractive scars, but OTOH it's possible that no other surgeon would have taken their cases. I wonder if this show has been a factor in increasing the pool of surgeons willing to work on these patients. Well, that and the nation's ever-booming population of super obese people. Sigh.

• Love 7

Dr. Now would have done Tami's skin surgery, but she wanted to have the surgery, and go straight back to Kentucky.    That will never happen.  The risk of complications in the time after surgery is pretty high, and it's the reason they have to stay in Houston for a certain time after surgery.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Yeah, the difficulty for Tamy in finding a surgeon closer to home was that the surgeon would have to be willing to film it, and she'd have to convince the producers to pay for a surgery not done by Dr. Now, and Dr. Now would have to sign off on it as well, as a botched surgery would not only undo all the work Dr. Now had done, but could possibly be lethal.

All because narcissistic, abusive James couldn't/wouldn't allow Tamy to stay in Houston for a couple of months.  

Placing bets right now that he's already found his next target with whom to cheat.  POS indeed.

• Love 6
On 12/19/2019 at 12:56 PM, sainte-chapelle said:

😉 But of course, aren't we all entertained?

Indeed!  The famewhores have taken over.

Could this episode resemble a soap opera any more than it already does?

The script between Tamy and that POS she calls her husband was full of bad acting...as well as missed opportunities for the psych therapists to explore why she thinks her husband is such a prize.

Karina’s blatant denial of the amount of food she eats was textbook gettheetoatherapiststat behavior, yet there was no big push for her to see a therapist.

I feel sorry for them...

Edited by kicotan
Spelling
  • Love 3

Karina did see a therapist on camera before, I guess in the first episode.   That's where she said her motivation to gain so much was not being the center of attention for the entire family, when her asthma improved.      That was when her mother was working two jobs to support the family, and the father joined the military.     I'm guessing the family didn't move with him, but stayed put while he served, or we would have Karina whining about having to move.   

As I recall, from the first episode, if Tamy and John were married at one time, it was many years ago.   He just let her and her son (I'm not sure the son was John's), they were long separated or divorced.     I don't know if he actually was her husband either, or if that's just what she called him.       John was so controlling, and she ruined her life to get back with him.       She's lucky she found a doctor who was willing to do the surgery, and be filmed.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

I had high hopes for Tamy until she took douchebag back and then conformed to whatever he wanted, not what was best for her and her health.  Karina, damn she found love and now feels like she needs move her focus to something else, well what about getting those f-upped choppers fixed - food must be slipping through that missing tooth which would explain the weight gain

• LOL 7

Okay, just finished watching and now remember them both.  

I like Tamy, although her submission to that incredibly selfish man she's in love with is infuriating.  At least he doesn't beat her (as far as we know).  I went off to college a 100 years ago clear across the country and I was homesick too, but I was 18!  I got over it because it was the best thing for my life.  And he had left her for another woman because he was probably sick to death of taking care of her. But his homesickness trumped her REAL physical needs.  Yet, I'm glad she got that almost 30 pound thing removed.  I wish her the best.

Karina annoyed me in her first episode and she was doing well despite not losing all the weight she should have.  Good that she got out of the wheelchair and then got rid of the walker.  That's an accomplishment!  Yeah, she lied to Dr. Now but not taking her walking and driving and working away from her.  

And then comes Gilbert, a master enabler.  She'll be back up to 600 within a year if he has anything to do with it.  Hope Dr. Now got a heads up before he showed up at her appointment  Karina is "making bad decisions" and Gilbert is #1.   If we see her again, I wonder if she'll have bizarre makeup.

• Love 5

God, I wanna deck James. He left her and his(?) son for 6 months because he was "in love" with another woman** and now he can't go 6 weeks in Houston (or at home without her) so she can get that horribly uncomfortable-looking thing removed? A$$h*le. As Dan Savage would say, DTMFA.

**Something tells me he didn't break up with the other woman because he just missed Tamy so much.

Also, his little elf voice is annoying.

• Love 7
On 12/19/2019 at 12:05 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

We only had Lupe's statement about Gilbert's 'needs' ripping her sutures, and ignoring the infection.  I think they both cheated, and that was just their sick relationship.     

Lupe may have been the one who said it, but Gilbert was not contradicting her, and even begging her not to tell Dr.Now that their sex was the cause of the rips. It was a conversation the two of them had together (though I have no doubt that they probably both cheated). 

• Love 5

Except, I think most of the voice overs are added after filming, and that was about the time Lupe had dumped Gilbert, and moved in with her cousin.     So who knows what the truth was.   I wouldn't put it past Lupe to try to threaten Gilbert by telling Dr. Now her version of what happened.           Gilbert certainly is easy to dislike, but to me Karina and Lupe are just as bad.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Except, I think most of the voice overs are added after filming, and that was about the time Lupe had dumped Gilbert, and moved in with her cousin.     So who knows what the truth was. 

That part wasn't a voiceover. She was lying in bed and he was throwing back the beers while they waited for the ambulance. He was the one talking about the sex and begging her not to tell Dr. Now. 

• Love 2

This was a really  boring episode. I think this is the first time, aside from the Assanti brothers, that I did not make it through the entire episode. I'm mostly interested in weight loss, not their SOs. I care about the SOs and spouses in their lives to a certain extent, but I am here for the weight loss issues for the most part. All the drama left me cold in this episode, especially as I have no recollection of Karina at all. I wish Tami and Karina well but I don't particularly want to watch them. Looking forward to January 1st!

• Love 2
On 12/29/2019 at 10:13 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The part in the Karina/Tami update where Gilbert told Dr. Now he stopped drinking, and the film crew made sure to include a clip of him drinking a bunch at a bar was classic.     Between Karina, Lupe, and Gilbert, I don't believe anything they say.  

It is difficult to know what is true or what the participants have made up.

I believe that some participants have had very bad experiences in the past. But some of them are just telling us stories To look better on the show. After all, some of them lie to doctor Now, even when they are caught with food in their room.

One of my former bosses used to tell me that nice people makes bad TV.

• Love 2

I can’t believe I missed this in December. I just watched it On Demand.  

I really dislike Karina! I disliked her lazy a$$ from her first episode and this one didn’t change my mind about her.  

She was so rude to Dr Now after all the help he gave her. She’s definitely no bright light but this was pure arrogance. 

Clearly she has no self esteem to be with Gilbert. She obviously lost weight but to be happy with being 400lbs is ridiculous. I think that she is just a very lazy person and didn’t want to keep trying.

And the way she spoke with that slurping. Gross. 

I LOVED when Dr. Now told her that Gilbert is a bad influence just like he was with Lupe.  She looked so pissed off! lol.  I think she was trying to copy Lupe with that ridiculous makeup!

Who would say that they were going to focus on a a new boyfriend and put their weight loss on hold? Then I remember she said that’s her first boyfriend and she’s almost 40! She’s the 40 year old virgin and it explains why she’s obsessed with Gilbert.  He would go back with Lupe and her scrotum neck in a heartbeat! Wait until he leaves Karina for Lupe or cheats on her with someone else. They’re both so disgusting that they deserve each other! 

I actually did feel bad for Tamy.  I’m so happy that she finally got that Lymphedema removed.   

• Love 3
On 12/27/2019 at 10:15 PM, ams1001 said:

God, I wanna deck James. He left her and his(?) son for 6 months because he was "in love" with another woman** and now he can't go 6 weeks in Houston (or at home without her) so she can get that horribly uncomfortable-looking thing removed? A$$h*le. As Dan Savage would say, DTMFA.

**Something tells me he didn't break up with the other woman because he just missed Tamy so much.

Also, his little elf voice is annoying.

Late to the party on this but I could have written these same sentiments, right down to the elf voice. The chick he was shaking up with LEFT and he went over to fetch Tami, who he KNEW would be easy pickings. He’s a user, just like Gross Gilbert. I echo everyone’s sentiments in that those two lumps should have been the first skin removals these two should have considered. 

• Love 4

There was a follow-up episode for Karina and I missed it?!  I know there have been worse people on the show, but she was one of my least favorites.  She was the one that ate a whole pizza and hot wings and a 2-liter of Coke in one sitting, right?  And she wouldn't give up her rolling walker thing.

• Love 3

Yes, that's Karina.     The pizza/brownies/wings binge was even more remarkable, because she had a stomach balloon at the time.       

In the follow up she lost some weight, moved out with a roommate, and has a boyfriend.   However, her boyfriend is Gilbert, of Gilbert and Lupe fame.    She also stalled on weight loss, and I'm betting with Gilbert's assistance, that she's right back where she started.  

• Love 5

It might have been one of those they either put after the regular episode, or it was early.    I would have missed it if people on here didn't comment it was coming up.      Some of the WATN don't really look like new ones, and I really thought it was a rerun until I looked at the description.  

It was on December 18 or 19, before the regular season started on 1 January. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, OoogleEyes said:

I'm going to hang in as long as I can. It's getting to be past my bedtime!

I was supposed to be doing the dishes..! Gonna get ready for bed on the commercial.

• Love 2