Type keyword(s) to search

Black Widow (2020)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, BetterButter said:

It took me a bit to work out why he looked so familiar, since I haven't seen his work. He looks kind of like John C Reilly.

Anyway, anyone want to give me a primer on Red Guardian, or should I just go to the Marvel wiki? Come on, people, show off your knowledge. 🙂

3 hours ago, stealinghome said:

This movie is about 5 years too late, BUT I love Black Widow and am so.freaking.in. Great trailer.

I think it looks really good too.  I like the poster as well

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Oreo2234 said:

Looks like it could be good. Though I wish they went a bit smaller scale with less CGI. 

Same. One of the main appeals of a potential Black Widow movie for me was that it was an opportunity for Marvel to scale things down a bit and just do a cool spy movie. Instead it looks like they're still going the route of the typical big bang CGI fest. I mean, I guess I shouldn't be surprised, everyone knows the formula by now, but I can't help but be a little disappointed.

So the movie looks like it's going to be as espionage-heavy as a Marvel movie allows. But I agree that it's a shame that Marvel haven't been brave enough to eschew CGI and big action sequences completely.

I guess I'm ready to move on from Scarlett Johansson as Natasha, so the prospect of Florence Pugh's Yelena taking up the mantle seems cool. And I guess it would be a chance for Marvel to test how audiences react to legacy heroes. I'd be up for her becoming a part of the larger MCU.

David Harbour should be a lot of fun, as the hero gone to seed. I think that Nat in the comics was married to the Red Guardian, but I assume that's not going to translate into the MCU.

• Love 2

This should have been made ages ago, but I am still super excited. This looks awesome and I am so psyched to get more into the Black Widow program and Red Guardian and all of that stuff. I got excited thinking we would get some of that in Age of Ultron, and that went...weird, so I am ready as hell for this. 

• Love 2

Not to go off track, but if this movie (as the last trailer implies) involves Natasha going back to the facility in which she was raised to save her similarly brainwashed cohorts that never got the chance to leave the abusive system that raised them, then John Boyega has every right to be royally pissed off. 

I must have watched the tag on the end of that trailer about 15 times in a row.  "Natasha, don't slouch....You're going to get a back hunch."  🤣

Edited by kiddo82
  • LOL 2
On 3/17/2020 at 4:39 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

I wonder if there will even be a Summer 2020 for movies? 

there's a good question.  Hopefully everything will be ... resolved by then and we can at least go to the movies.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Mulva said:

Does this movie finally have a release date?

For the moment, it’s supposed to be May 7th. 

Edited by Guest
On 2/19/2021 at 12:41 PM, Dani said:

For the moment, it’s supposed to be May 7th. 

Is it me, or (spoiler tags to follow, though I got this info from Wikipedia) does the fact that

Spoiler

the Black Widow mantle will be passed from Scarlett Johansson to Florence Pugh diminish the character as played by Johansson?  Like: "We couldn't bother creating a movie about your character until it involved her passing the torch to the next Big Thing in Hollywood."  

Then again, having recently watched most of the Avenger films with Johansson, I'm not super into her character, which seems very thinly written.  She quips and acts sexy or badass and seems to have no inner life.  I would rather watch that SNL parody movie "Avengers: Age of Me" from SNL than most of the actual movies featuring Black Widow.  At least in the parody she has a personality (albeit stolen from Meg Ryan). 

Edited by Brn2bwild
14 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

Is it me, or (spoiler tags to follow, though I got this info from Wikipedia) does the fact that

Hide contents

the Black Widow mantle will be passed from Scarlett Johansson to Florence Pugh diminish the character as played by Johansson?  Like: "We couldn't bother creating a movie about your character until it involved her passing the torch to the next Big Thing in Hollywood."  

Then again, having recently watched most of the Avenger films with Johansson, I'm not super into her character, which seems very thinly written.  She quips and acts sexy or badass and seems to have no inner life.  I would rather watch that SNL parody movie "Avengers: Age of Me" from SNL than most of the actual movies featuring Black Widow.  At least in the parody she has a personality (albeit stolen from Meg Ryan). 

It doesn’t diminish the character for me because the only reason she didn’t get a movie is that Perlmutter believed that only white, male superheroes made money. The current people in charge of Marvel Studios had to fight him to even get Black Panther and Captain Marvel made.

Under different circumstances she probably would have had a much stronger characterization. I am bitter that it resulted to a character with a lot of potential being wasted until Johansson contract was up. 

On 2/22/2021 at 6:39 AM, Brn2bwild said:

Hide contents

It's something that happens fairly frequently in comics. 

Spoiler

Yelena was given the mantle of Black Widow there too, but she didn't replace Natasha in the books for any significant length of time. I think Yelena was introduced as a rival for Natasha - someone the Russians had trained to defeat her. But essentially it's like Bucky or Sam becoming Captain America, Kate Bishop becoming Hawkeye, Ben Reilly or Miles Morales becoming Spider-Man. It's just a way of freshening up books from time to time by putting a different person under the mask.

In this case, they want to keep using the Black Widow character but Scarlett Johansson doesn't seem to want to keep playing her. So the only alternative is to give the job to someone else.

Whether MCU fans will accept Pugh's character or not remains to be seen. Marvel might decide to give her a different code name, in the long run.

20 hours ago, Dani said:

Under different circumstances she probably would have had a much stronger characterization. I am bitter that it resulted to a character with a lot of potential being wasted until Johansson contract was up. 

This movie should have been made to follow on from Captain America: Winter Soldier, and should have been released before Age of Ultron. That was the right time to explore the idea of Natasha losing her anonymity and exposing the secrets of SHIELD, including her own past. But because Perlmutter was a creep who still thinks like it's the 1950s, it didn't happen.

Whedon's storyline for her in Age of Ultron was a throwaway that did her no justice at all, and then she was in the backseat of Civil War while Tony and Steve argued. By the time Infinity War came around, it seemed to me that Johansson was completely done with the character and the franchise. She was so lifeless and bored in all of her scenes.

• Love 9

Disney finally blinked. Universal is the last holding on and still waiting. 

Marvel/Disney has their stuff mapped out years in advance. It's already messed up because they wanted WandaVision out right before Dr. Strange 2. They have to just start putting the stuff out.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Well I'll be fully vaccinated by July, so looks like I'll get to see this in the cinema after all. Just six years later than it should have been.

I never felt that Black Widow needed her own movie and I still don't.

I love what Marvel is doing with their tv shows. Giving movie like value to characters I enjoy and are cool with seeing more of but that doesn't mean they need a movie.

Not did I think Hawkeye needed one.

Nor do I need an all female team up.

I would be cool with all of it. But, I don't think any of these things need to exist.

I always wanted Black Widow and Hawkeye to team up with Daisy, Mockingbird and Agent May for a dope mission. Maybe throw FitzSimmons in there for the people in the chair and personality. Just something fun and its own thing. If that had gotten series I would have been so happy.

I'm still not going to any theaters in 2021 vaccinated or not. And I'm not paying 30 dollars for a movie so I'll see it in September or whatever. I'm sure it will be a lot of fun.

• Love 3
On 3/29/2021 at 1:47 PM, Racj82 said:

I'm still not going to any theaters in 2021 vaccinated or not. And I'm not paying 30 dollars for a movie so I'll see it in September or whatever. I'm sure it will be a lot of fun.

Amen!  I'm damned if I'm paying Disney $30 on top of the monthly fee I already pay for their streaming service.  I'll wait.

• Love 2
(edited)

Scroll through twitter thread to see all 6 character posters...

Or you can see all 6 character posters on one page here...

Brand-New Posters Arrive for 'Black Widow'
BY CHRISTINE DINH    May 10, 2021
https://www.marvel.com/articles/movies/new-black-widow-character-posters

In anticipation of the action-packed spy thriller, and first film in Phase Four of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, here are some new posters for Scarlett Johansson, Florence Pugh, David Harbour, and Rachel Weisz; as well a brand-new one for O-T Fagbenle and one for the character Taskmaster!
Scarlett Johansson reprises her role as Natasha/Black Widow, Florence Pugh stars as Yelena, David Harbour portrays Alexei/The Red Guardian, and Rachel Weisz is Melina. 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)

Scarlett Johansson won the MTV Generation Award at last night's 2021 MTV Movie & TV Awards. She also presented the following sneak peek video clip from Black Widow...

Scarlett Johansson Wins Generation Award | 2021 MTV Movie & TV Awards
MTV     May 16, 2021

"You Got A Plan?" Clip | Marvel Studios' Black Widow
Marvel Entertainment   May 16, 2021

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1