Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Yep.  I'm in Toronto and the episode I just watched is not what Twitter or Facebook is talking about.

Today's episode for me was Anna/Laura about sonny.  Alexis/Finn about her licence.  Liz/Gregory about Jake's anger towards Jason, BLQ/Chase about money and Laura/Cyrus about pressing charges against Sonny.

What i'm reading online is Brick/Sonny and Maxie/Spinelli who weren't in my episode.  No idea what's going on since we don't usually show a diffrente episode unless something bad is happening in the US (Jan 6)that knocks them off the air.  

I think you all accidentally got tomorrow’s episode. The previews had Alexis/Finn, BL/Chase, Anna etc. though my episode description for today matched your episode better than mine. The only thing that we had that matched the description is Trina talking to and about Joss/Dex. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I don't normally care about Jordan one way or the other but I felt sorry for her having to interact in what was such a sleazy scene. Ick. Brick is creepy. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3

I CANNOT figure out what Ava is planning. She obviously isn't the "source" for the bad pills, but I don't know that she's going to let Sonny know when she finds out they're essentially sugar pills.

My guess is she'll figure that his paranoia seems to be working toward her advantage, so she'll let it ride -- and/or, she'll somehow figure out who's behind it, and blackmail Valentine.

Mo is marginally better with Maura than he is with the mobby stuff (the Brick stuff was torture), but not as good as he is with Cynthia.  I think it's because Ava is so "noir" that it slows Mo down even more, whereas CW is playful and he really sparks with her.

• Like 12
51 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I think you all accidentally got tomorrow’s episode.

That's what it looks like.  I wonder if we'll get today's episode tomorrow or if we'll get a repeat so that we're back in sync on Thursday.

From what I'm hearing, Brick was sniffing around Jordan today wihch is gross and I don't want to see it, so if we get a repeat tomorrow, I'm good with that!!!

• LOL 3
13 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

My guess is she'll figure that his paranoia seems to be working toward her advantage, so she'll let it ride -- and/or, she'll somehow figure out who's behind it, and blackmail Valentine.

And likely hook into what he is doing and use it for her own ends. Which is classic Ava.

I found Sonny and Nina a profound snooze beyond the initial scandalous hook-up, so while Mo is really not doing great work period at this stage in his career (when Steve Burton is outacting you it's time to take a sabbatical) I at least prefer watching Sonny crazy, ill-tempered and getting played for a fool vs. Mr. Romance Sonny with the latest True Love he has taken to The Island.

• Like 1

I watched the ABC version and a bit of the CityTV version while doing others things so I’m now totally confused.

I liked the Laura/Cyrus - new writers have thankfully moved him away from radio preacher guy plot and she wants him to press charges against Sonny. 

Maxie/Felicia - cute convo.

Ava meeting with Sonny - stabbing Nina in the back yet not telling us anything about her motives.

Sonny/Brick - muted.

Jordan/Brick - muted.

TJ/Gregory - why?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Desperado said:

Ava meeting with Sonny - stabbing Nina in the back yet not telling us anything about her motives.

Kristina said it herself the other day: Power. And also possibly dickstruck. All classic behavior from the Files of Denise DiMuccio.

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, jsbt said:

I found Sonny and Nina a profound snooze beyond the initial scandalous hook-up, so while Mo is really not doing great work period at this stage in his career (when Steve Burton is outacting you it's time to take a sabbatical) I at least prefer watching Sonny crazy, ill-tempered and getting played for a fool vs. Mr. Romance Sonny with the latest True Love he has taken to The Island.

I'm torn because while I agree that the STORY of Sonny and Nina fell off in favor of her pining for Wiley & Co., the interactions between them were much fresher than those of Sonny and literally anyone else. 

• Like 12
(edited)
33 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I'm torn because while I agree that the STORY of Sonny and Nina fell off in favor of her pining for Wiley & Co., the interactions between them were much fresher than those of Sonny and literally anyone else. 

I mean, I guess? From what I watched of that storyline the most interesting part was when he first got back from Nixon Falls, tried to put her out of his life but couldn't get over it. That was fresh because MB was playing a new kind of beat. But once they were together they whitewashed both characters and it was the same old Sonny Romances the Ladies playbook to me, which I just have no interest in with a new person at his big age. AFAIC Nina was a placeholder in his life for other people, like Brenda; she and Nina have superficial similarities in their personal history and careers, and those trappings can delude Sonny into thinking he is getting a 'fresh start' outside of his usual milieu (which he tried and failed to do for Brenda) while really doing nothing much different. Sonny does not change for others, others change for him.

I think Maurice and CW have some chemistry but it has long since failed to grab me in terms of an ongoing romance, when so much of it was seemingly down to Nina just smiling beatifically and accepting that Sonny had to go off and do his mob business she'd rather not hear about. There's just no core of any kind of engaging reason re: the why of them being together for me, other than the actors enjoying each other's company (and it upsetting Carly/Michael/etc. isn't enough to get me to watch multiple segments a day of just these two canoodling). Whereas Nina the spoiled, histrionic socialite scheming with Drew (or getting snowed by BFF Ava) is much closer to who she's always been for me, and a more active role. And as is I really don't want Sonny with anyone atm to be clear, other than getting conned by Ava back into bed as his evil bride Iago while he continues to lose the last shreds of his Four Loko-soaked mind.

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 2
  • LOL 3

Nathan Varni posted this earlier today:

Here's a quick General Hospital air update for our viewers in Canada (USA not impacted). There was a human error made today and we apologize for any inconvenience for our Canadian viewers. What aired in the USA will now air tomorrow for Canada. Both countries will be in synch once again this Thursday, April 18. Sorry for the mix up today in Canada and we sincerely thank your your continued viewership of #GH.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
9 hours ago, Desperado said:

I watched the ABC version and a bit of the CityTV version while doing others things so I’m now totally confused.

I liked the Laura/Cyrus - new writers have thankfully moved him away from radio preacher guy plot and she wants him to press charges against Sonny. 

Maxie/Felicia - cute convo.

Sonny/Brick - muted.

Jordan/Brick - muted.

TJ/Gregory - why?

TJ and Gregory was very random. If a character doesn’t even know who the characters wife/partner is then what the heck are we doing here? ESPNBrick needs to exit stage left. He’s still there. WTH? Laura seeing the good in everyone (murderers and criminals) is getting nauseating. Unfortunately, I can’t blame the old writers now. They’ve left the building and the new writers are encouraging it. Don’t even get me started on Drew. The list goes on & on. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
On 4/15/2024 at 12:59 PM, dubbel zout said:

What a waste of time to have to watch Lucy blather on and on. There was no other story?

On 4/15/2024 at 4:14 PM, kitmerlot1213 said:

I'm having a hard time dealing with LH's excitable babbling and me me drama--Lucy is utterly unwatchable when she starts talking about all of her hard work regarding Deception. 

That was some of the most cringeworthy stuff I’ve seen on GH in a while and it consumed a good chunk of the episode.  I’m halfway serious in wondering if they’re going to retcon a joint replacement for Lucy and give her cobalt poisoning.

I’m intrigued by Ava and her figuring out Sonny’s meds, but damn they’re moving that along at a breakneck pace - for now at least.  

But Monday’s highlight was definitely how awesome JE looked in her riding outfit.  Let’s have Tracy and Stella open a bottle of wine and play some backgammon, shall we?

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

Does Laura even hear herself? Mooby is an old friend? Yes, but he's also a fucking criminal. She KNOWS this. Her family was roped into the mayhem and violence when Lulu was born. So she can (I can't believe I'm typing this) shut up, put up, or tender her resignation.

I don't really care about Jar-Jar or that, YUCK, he's Maxie's love of her life? What is Felicia smoking? There is NO COMPARISON between Mac and Jar-Jar-who, by the way, is also a fucking criminal. So does this mean Maxie never loved Nathan? Do the writers even think before they write such idiotic dialogue? I didn't care for Nathan, but even I remember how much Maxie loved him. Or was she just...settling.

• Applause 7
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Does Laura even hear herself? Mooby is an old friend? Yes, but he's also a fucking criminal. She KNOWS this. Her family was roped into the mayhem and violence when Lulu was born. So she can (I can't believe I'm typing this) shut up, put up, or tender her resignation.

The episode that aired in Canada yesterday;

Spoiler

Laura goes to Anna about prosecuting Sonny, then asks Cyrus if he'll press charges. 

• Like 1

The timing for all of this "OMG, Sonny and Jason are criminals and we're only now just realizing it!" talk from Anna and Laura is so odd. As is the talk itself. Everyone has gone around PC for years winking about what Sonny and Jason really do. I don't understand what the show is trying to do here. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 4
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Everyone has gone around PC for years winking about what Sonny and Jason really do. I don't understand what the show is trying to do here. 

Except it's just winking, really. Supposedly Sonny is a coffee importer, but the show has never been explicit about what his illegal activities involve. Again supposedly, he doesn't run drugs or deal in prostitution, right? I know we've made jokes for a long time about him bringing in gummi bears, but the show has always tried to have it both ways - establish that Sonny and Jason are criminals, but without making them too dirty, if that makes sense.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

We had that interminable story about sea lanes and docks and things a decade or so ago, and it seems like the show has decided to stick with Sonny controlling territory that other mobsters move their good through, or something like that.

It's always been a problem that Sonny is a mobster but not too terrible a mobster. We've seen him murder people onscreen, so I think that train sailed years ago anyway.

• Like 13

I was wrong a few days ago—we did get a money talk between BL and Chase. Sort of. It was kind of a bust because BL didn't grow up in the Q lap of luxury, very deliberately, so it's not as if she has no idea about the value of money. But at least it's clear she and Chase are on the same page about what they what their lives to be in relationship to money. Though given they have a safety net, it's not as if they're going to be struggling, unless Deception goes bankrupt and ELQ completely tanks. 

I hate that Alexis keeps bringing up how Molly thinks she's going to fall off the wagon. Alexis doesn't need a reason to start drinking again. I hate Molly. She's awful to everyone who doesn't meet her idiotic standards.

I liked the alternating POVs of Finn and Gregory about anger, though Finn was a bit heavy-handed with the guilt. And I loved Alexis gently teasing him by quoting him back to himself.

How did Jeff Kober get hotter?! He was smokin' today.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

The timing for all of this "OMG, Sonny and Jason are criminals and we're only now just realizing it!" talk from Anna and Laura is so odd. As is the talk itself. Everyone has gone around PC for years winking about what Sonny and Jason really do. I don't understand what the show is trying to do here. 

I wonder if the idea is that Sonny (for a change) is going to "lose" everything he values. For years, he's skated by because he's been mostly careful not to do anything too visibly criminal and does good deeds now and then. It is a nice change to hear Laura and Anna admit that these things aren't enough to ignore that Sonny is a criminal who has been free to operate without much obstruction. 

• Like 9
46 minutes ago, PatsyandEddie said:

So will TJ have trouble bonding with his child because Kristina is carrying them? 

That might actually be an interesting story.

• Like 13

I seriously can’t stand TJ anymore. Between him whining about Kristina not eating right and not getting enough sleep or staying out late (when did he become her father or keeper?) and whining about Sonny when he LIVED with the man and Sonny put him through med school, he’s become intolerable to me. Just STFU already! If you’re not happy with Kristina being the surrogate, tell Molly you want out of the relationship. Then Kristina can just keep the kid that she’s going to want anyway and you’ll be free to go meet someone else and have babies with that woman. Or not.

• Like 9
  • Applause 7

Did I hear TJ right that he expects Kristina just to go away when the child is born? In family surrogates, especially a bio mother of the child sister/sister-in-law, is going to be around. I can see multiple ways this can go and I see TJ and Molly potentially imploding as the relationship feels immature in spite of its longevity. 

Esme’s, Heather’s, and Cyrus’ victims (you know, like your daughter, Laura), deserve justice too. Caping for killers who hurt your children and grandchildren is crazy. It’s terrible, but I so wish they would erase Ace. He was a sex criminal’s method of manipulation. There is no way to perfume your mother killed your brother who sang you to sleep the first year of your life. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
5 minutes ago, ljr said:

Who was that man talking to Anna at the police station?

He seems to run the police academy. I think we only saw him one other time, about a week ago, when Anna asked him to consider Dex.

• Like 1

Laura's (re)awakening about Sonny would be more palatable if it wasn't spurred by her wanting justice for her brother. And mixed with her softening on Heather, it is just off all very off putting. And the way she kept talking about how Sonny beat Cyrus with his OWN HANDS and couldn't even use his hand again for a week! Like that crossed the line for her. Okay, but gunshots and being blown up and stuff hurt too, Laura! And stop calling him a philanthropist, Ana! Sonny makes the vast majority of his money ILLEGALLY. Good Lord. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
9 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Laura's (re)awakening about Sonny would be more palatable if it wasn't spurred by her wanting justice for her brother. And mixed with her softening on Heather, it is just off all very off putting. And the way she kept talking about how Sonny beat Cyrus with his OWN HANDS and couldn't even use his hand again for a week! Like that crossed the line for her. Okay, but gunshots and being blown up and stuff hurt too, Laura! And stop calling him a philanthropist, Ana! Sonny makes the vast majority of his money ILLEGALLY. Good Lord. 

I feel like the emphasis on Sonny's beating Cyrus with his own hands is something Laura can no longer ignore, that Sonny is becoming too comfortable with his violence being overlooked.  And Anna is right that Sonny is a philanthropist--yes the money is from illegal operations, but he is using it for the good of others, especially his donations to the hospital.  I am by no means a Sonny supporter, I'm just pointing out that Anna was using the word correctly--sorry, the English major in me is coming out :)

• Like 4

What I do appreciate is that Laura's eyes aren't filled with tears and her voice isn't breaking when she's telling Anna how her eyes have finally been opened (really, Laura*?), unlike Anna, whose eyes are STILL filling up.

*I guess Show didn't want to bring up how Laura knew WHO Mooby was and she'd had enough when they all thought Lucky had died because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time and it was thought Lucky had been a casualty. I LOVED her raging at him at the morgue and calling him a murderer. And of course Jasus stood there like the good robot he was. I'm sure people will just attribute that to grief. Whatever. I loved it, and wish Laura had cut off things with Mooby permanently then, even if Lucky turned out to be alive.

And don't shoot me, but I loved the talk about Luke and how he changed that building to the Blues Club. Great times those years; wonderful production values.

I hope I see Laura's FIRE when Mooby shows up to confront her, and he WILL, about any charges levied against him, instead of sad, sad tears like Anna has been displaying.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

How did Jeff Kober get hotter?! He was smokin' today.

I think it's kind of hilarious how they keep referring to Cyrus as 'an old man'--which, at 70, he fairly inarguably is--as if Sonny is so much younger than him, which...he is not. And with his dyed black hair and dark undereye circles (no shame, I have them too), he looks older to me than Cyrus, who, even with silver hair, has kind of flawless skin and this wide, open, youthful, handsome face. 

• Like 10
  • Love 1

PI think they’re trying to play Sonny as crossing the line with Cyrus because he’s older and not actively in the mob but it’s not resonating with me. Like others have said, Sonny isn’t exactly young himself, they’re practically peers. It’s not like it was Dex or Michael attacking Cyrus. Also, Cyrus did some pretty reprehensible things up until fairly recently and I don’t get why they are pulling this poor man crap with him when he’s responsible for several murders, attempted murders, and kidnappings, not to mention all he did before he came to PC that we don’t know about. Having a come to Jesus moment at 70 doesn’t make him a decent person and Laura should be the last person on the planet defending him after he ordered a hit that put Lulu into a coma, which before anyone asks, she is aware of because she attacked him over it when it happened. It’s common knowledge that Cyrus was behind the Floating Rib explosion 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

He seems to run the police academy. I think we only saw him one other time, about a week ago, when Anna asked him to consider Dex.

I think he's the detective we saw a few times last year, Bennett, who was hot, that we wanted to see more of.

• Like 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:
12 hours ago, ljr said:

Who was that man talking to Anna at the police station?

I really like this guy and the actor. I hope we haven't seen the last of him.

36 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I don’t get why they are pulling this poor man crap with him when he’s responsible for several murders, attempted murders, and kidnappings, not to mention all he did before he came to PC that we don’t know about.

Just because Cyrus is despicable doesn't mean he doesn't deserve the protection of the law when appropriate, as is the case here with Sonny beating him up. That's one of the foundations of justice: Everyone is entitled to it. (Whether you get it is a different story, of course.)

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Like 12
36 minutes ago, driver18 said:

I think he's the detective we saw a few times last year, Bennett, who was hot, that we wanted to see more of.

I don't know if the actor played Bennett (I was on the Barge), but right now, he is the one in charge of the Academy and decides who gets in.

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

he is the one in charge of the Academy and decides who gets in.

Except when the commissioner tells him to hire someone anyway. 🙄

• Like 2

My fear is this:  That the plan is to completely isolate Sonny by having all of Port Charles turn against him (ie, realize how bad he is), leave him with no functional friends nor family (save maybe Ava) and then have it come out that his meds have been sabotaged, thus precipitating a long string of apologies from all the townsfolk before the Port Charles Don graciously bestows forgiveness.  Somewhere in between, a special memory-erasing fog is released so that the townsfolk will have forgotten that Sonny's evil ways began long before he arrived in Port Charles.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Sake614 said:

Except when the commissioner tells him to hire someone anyway. 🙄

Well, he did say that they should pass on hiring Dex, and Anna thanked him when he told her why; she didn't insist that he pass Dex through anyway. And speaking of putting people up as bait. That's what Anna is doing, wanting Dex to become a cop-and be her eyes and ears on what Mooby is doing.

45 minutes ago, JMO said:

My fear is this:  That the plan is to completely isolate Sonny by having all of Port Charles turn against him (ie, realize how bad he is), leave him with no functional friends nor family (save maybe Ava) and then have it come out that his meds have been sabotaged, thus precipitating a long string of apologies from all the townsfolk before the Port Charles Don graciously bestows forgiveness.

Well, no one turned against him when he MURDERED AJ and went to prison for awhile for that murder; because the Mayor at the time thought whatever he did to save the citizens of Port Charles with that water poisoning thing, was enough to grant him a pardon. So they are all willfully blind when it comes to who Mooby is;  being off his meds doesn't change his CHARACTER or who he is, but I guess, just his behavior? And that will probably be the justification for everyone falling over themselves, begging for forgiveness.

10 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Well, he did say that they should pass on hiring Dex, and Anna thanked him when he told her why; she didn't insist that he pass Dex through anyway. And speaking of putting people up as bait. That's what Anna is doing, wanting Dex to become a cop-and be her eyes and ears on what Mooby is doing.

Well, no one turned against him when he MURDERED AJ and went to prison for awhile for that murder; because the Mayor at the time thought whatever he did to save the citizens of Port Charles with that water poisoning thing, was enough to grant him a pardon. So they are all willfully blind when it comes to who Mooby is;  being off his meds doesn't change his CHARACTER or who he is, but I guess, just his behavior? And that will probably be the justification for everyone falling over themselves, begging for forgiveness.

I think there was a bomb on the Haunted Star and the governor’s daughter was aboard and he got pardoned as a result.

• Useful 1

LOL at ActionMan!Dex. 

Michael can fix a stove? Ha!

"Come to the wedding, Sonny. Rise above your petty grievances." You know he never does that, Lois.

Ugh, these people picking and choosing who they deem worthy of help is gross. Did you think everyone you dealt with at the PCPD would be "perfect" victims, Anna? 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, PatsyandEddie said:

If Carly and Jagger hit the sheets, I will not be happy about it. 

If this happens, Jagger will be:

I Hate You Goodbye GIF by Britannia

The SheBeast RUINS Every Good Character that is STOOPID enough get involved with her ass.

• Like 13
  • Applause 3
6 hours ago, driver18 said:

Yes, it's the same character, Detective Bennet, played by Kendrick Cross.

• Like 2
On 4/17/2024 at 10:08 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't really care about Jar-Jar or that, YUCK, he's Maxie's love of her life? What is Felicia smoking? There is NO COMPARISON between Mac and Jar-Jar-who, by the way, is also a fucking criminal. So does this mean Maxie never loved Nathan? Do the writers even think before they write such idiotic dialogue? I didn't care for Nathan, but even I remember how much Maxie loved him. Or was she just...settling.

Eh, sloppy storytelling. Spinelli is the love of Maxie's life in the sense that he's the one love that hasn't been murdered/died, who has been in her life since before her sister Georgie died. The only way that Mac and Spinelli are alike is that as Mac happily stepped up to be a dad to two little girls who were not his biological children, Spinelli would happily be a dad to their daughter's younger siblings if Maxie "blessed" it. Spinelli is free to make whatever commitments to Maxie and all three kids since Ellie wisely dumped him and no one else wants him as a romantic partner or father of their kid(s). Whereas Mac is genuinely a great and attractive man, who has had options in life - both career wise and with women. He had loved and been in relationships before he and Felicia became a couple. Even last summer, women at the pool were checking him out in front of Felicia (not realizing she was his wife).

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2

It's actually Carly and Jagger keeping me away from watching, two weeks straight now.  I kept hoping it was a false alarm and I could go back, but I refuse to watch while they waste the one hot guy in that age range  we've had in years, who can act!  Nah.   I won't go back until that is over, and if it doesn't end, then I'm a former viewer for good.  I've gotten to the point where this favorable writing for Carly, the minimums, the always winning and every guy falling for her have made me unreasonable.  And I know that.  I don't care.  I honestly hate the character and I hate the writers who have now, unbelievably! doubled down on her.  I can't even believe it.  

• Like 10
  • Applause 9

While the Action!Dex scenes were cringe worthy, I did like the outside and hallway scenes--it was neat seeing more of the PCPD.  So Anna's going to hold onto Cyrus confession so she can make a deal with Sonny at some point?  I hope Anna knows what she's doing.  

The John Cates and Carly scenes have me concerned--the man is massively hot, a good actor, and playing an interesting character.  Please don't taint him with the Carly.

• Like 11

Who cares about chases bachelor party?

How can ava just call the lab and say I'm Sonny's wife? Why doesn't anyone ask for proof?

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

They sure are turning Dex into a snowflake. That whole GH version of parkour was unbelievably dumb and of course, he has the highest scores ever, or whatever. Dex is useless. Why is he still on the show?

Doesn't matter who the writers are. They can't help themselves with Carly, the Carly worship, men falling all over themselves for her like she's some kind of gift to humanity. Of course, we can't have nice things with Jagger.

Michael can't fix a stove if his life depended on him. 

I really hate the Carlys.

• Like 7
  • Love 5