Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

22 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Ryan was a psychopathic killer but I wish that they hadn't killed him.

Me too.  I'm still annoyed at the cut off his own hand thing.  Which made it much easier to tell which one was the evil twin.

Saw Shrek 3 the other night, with Captain Hook in it, and thought maybe that's why Heather chose a hook to attack with, alluding to Ryan's missing hand.  Hoping to pin the serial killing on Ryan, when it was eventually discovered that he didn't suffer from "locked in" syndrome.

• Like 1
  • Useful 5
21 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I got the impression it was the nurse who was being firm about him not being able to have visitors.

Yes, but he was wide awake looking straight at Ava. He’s a doctor at GH, probably knows the nurse from working there, he could’ve easily said he was fine talking to her, and asked to have her come in. It was weird the way it played out.

Then again, the whole Nik murder aftermath is playing out weird. 

• Like 9
23 minutes ago, racked said:

I was honestly worried Tabyana wouldn’t be up the challenge but she’s been excellent for the past few weeks.

I never doubted it! But I was among the earliest adopters of Tabyana Ali technology. She's always been excellent IMO.

I would be into Cameron with a faux-innocent Esme conning him for a bit, but then they need to give the poor guy a real major romance. And AFAIC Esme's baby should not survive, or should be given up and sent away just like she was. The last thing this show needs is even more fucking kids (like Michael's latest), especially to very young stars who are viable in active story not involving more babies.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

Chilling: Heather telling Spencer he was next (as the victim of the Hook)

Sweet: Laura fully leaning in to help Esme give birth. Laura is capable of being tough, but she showed her loving, maternal side in those scenes

Thrilling: Mac shooting Ryan dead. And Mac, Felicia and Kevin’s reactions afterwards were moving

• Like 10
  • Applause 3

I smell a future story of the cops being sent clues that Ava killed Nik.

I also am wondering if we'll see an Esme/Spencer/Trina triangle if Esme doesn't get back her memory. I can see Spencer saying he'll help Esme raise the baby, gets closer to her etc. And then the minute he is divided between the two, Esme gets her memory back and hides it.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

I'll believe Ryan Chamberlain is dead on this show when I see them dismember the corpse on camera like Michael Myers.

The smart play would be for Ava and Austin to blame Nik on Ryan, but I am betting Ryan, Heather or Esme (or some combo of all 3) will gaslight or blackmail them over it. Matter of fact: Esme finds out, having either regained her memory or faked it all along, and gets them over a barrel to keep her secret because she knows her father didn't kill Nikolas. Not that I think Nik is dead-dead either.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

What was that yell that Ryan let out just as Mac shot him ?

I couldn’t tell if he was making that crazy noise at Ava.. or it was pain at being shot...I rewound a few times but I still couldn’t tell

Austin has more chemistry with Felicia than he ever did with Felicia’s daughter 🥴

• Like 7
  • LOL 3
22 minutes ago, SiouxB said:

What was that yell that Ryan let out just as Mac shot him ?

I couldn’t tell if he was making that crazy noise at Ava.. or it was pain at being shot...I rewound a few times but I still couldn’t tell

Austin has more chemistry with Felicia than he ever did with Felicia’s daughter 🥴

The closed captions just says “grunts”. It looked to me like a feral growl or yell just as he’s getting ready to attack Ava or kill her

• Like 3
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, threebluestars said:

I also am wondering if we'll see an Esme/Spencer/Trina triangle if Esme doesn't get back her memory. I can see Spencer saying he'll help Esme raise the baby, gets closer to her etc. And then the minute he is divided between the two, Esme gets her memory back and hides it.

Yes, I think that is the direction the storyline will go. Today Esme told him she's not that awful person anymore. Spencer will be loving and protective of the baby, endearing Esme to fall in love with him for real and wish he actually was baby Cassadine's father. They get closer but he's in love with Trina. Esme gets her memory back and hides it...

I  can see her being an OG Carly type, with Esme using "baby brother" to keep Spencer close and spend less time Trina as Carly did with Michael to try to cause trouble between Jason and Robin.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4
27 minutes ago, SiouxB said:

OMG I had already forgot about Austin and Maxie and I was kind of wondering why Felicia was caring about  or even knew Austin 😜

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

Lol at Scott asking if Elizabeth lost her mind. 

Glad they put Esme on the floor, I was worried about the sofa. Lol the actress is doing an amazing job. I think she's the best younger one in daytime. 

I will never believe Ryan is dead dead. I expected a different face when Kevin opened the bag. 

I'm guessing by the time Ava and Austin go back for Nik, he'll be long gone too. 

Taggert never did the math or asked because he didn't want to.  That's why he's so ok. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

I expected it to be Nik's face when Kevin opened the body bag. That would have been cool. 

Ryan's last words to Mac should have been... "It will never be over Mac ~Kevin and I have a triplet!"   dun dun dun 

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 14
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Blackie said:

OMG I had already forgot about Austin and Maxie and I was kind of wondering why Felicia was caring about  or even knew Austin 😜

1 hour ago, Auntie Velvet said:

Same!

It's remarkable how long they were a thing, and they're already fading from minds. I would hardly believe it myself if I could not see the dates in cold print. They met in May 2021, had their first date in September 2021 (Carly and Jason's wedding), and broke up 15 months later, in December 2022. There were a few kisses and many bland conversations, but I can't recall even the threat of a real story for them as a couple. 

Even for present-day GH, which doesn't do romance well, they were historically inert. I wonder if one or both actors weren't into the pairing.

• Like 3
  • Love 4

The vets were on fire today! Felicia and Mac's relief at Ryan being "dead" but also with enough self-awareness to know Kevin might have some mixed-up emotions about it and supporting their friend was good acting and writing that we don't get often enough on this show. 

A lot of high notes today with Laura helping with Esme's labor and acting as a surrogate mother (especially since Esme got the news about who her biological mother was while she was in labor and her horror at that was well played) and Scotty acting as a surrogate dad to Liz, who while her parents aren't serial killers are still pretty horrible. 

Portia and Taggert's scenes were also really well done with both acknowledging that there were mistakes on both sides and him letting her know that while he was still upset with her it was more important that they focus on Trina and that he will always be her father, DNA test or not. I mean seriously did they not know they were on GH where these types of stories almost always involve broken barware and two pages of dialogue that's just "LIES!!" and "BETRAYAL!!" written over and over in 40 point font?? 

I think Spencer's life just got a whole lot more complicated.  

• Like 12
  • Love 3

Today was awesome! I watched online and didn't see a preview, so it sucks it's going back to sucky GH tomorrow.

Anyway, everyone was great today. I especially loved Esme and Laura - AP and GF have great chemistry. Ditto Scott and Elizabeth. I love the relationship they've built and maintained. And Taggert letting Portia know that no matter what, he is Trina's dad. Their whole conversation was grown up and heartfelt, which is a rarity on this show.

Ava & Felicia's relief over Ryan being dead, and Ava and Trina's hugs over Ava being OK, and Felicia, Mac and Kevin over the death of Ryan, Laura and Spencer as Esme and the baby are being wheeled out ... so much good stuff. I wish this show would keep these vets more front and center. They work so well with with the new kids.

I didn't mind the delivery scene so much only because of the Heather reveal. And yes to Detective Bennett getting a name! The look on Kevin's face after Esme had the baby was something, though. I half expected him to say it's a demon instead of it's a boy.

Felicia and Austin were also interesting and I kept trying to remember why they were friends and how they had interacted before, and then I came here ...

4 hours ago, SiouxB said:

3 hours ago, Blackie said:

Their pairing had also been completely erased from my memory.

Edited by Kitty Redstone
  • Like 6
  • Love 4

The first time we saw Esme holding the baby, there was just a flash of a look on her face that I'd call devious. I would not be surprised to learn that childbirth restored her memory. Her comment to Spencer about doing anything for his little brother could create some interesting complications.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

I wish Ava had had the satisfaction of being the one to put Ryan down.

While I don’t believe Ryan is gone forever, I’m sad he’s gone for now. He has been so much fun to watch these last couple of weeks, and I will miss him. (I bet Jon Lindstrom will, too. I can’t imagine playing Kevin is half as enjoyable.) Same goes for Ally Mills, who was the Heatherest Heather I could ever hope for. Please let her stay, Show.

Why is Elizabeth walking around in a Hefty bag, again? I know the show likes to portray her as impoverished, but come on.

I’m looking forward to seeing the new incarnation of Esme. Pure evil wasn’t that interesting, and innocent victim won’t cut it, either. (We get enough of that with Willow.) But if they can evolve her into a layered character who is both good hearted and devious, I’m here for it. And I’m sure Avery Pohl can deliver, if given the chance.

How is no one at Windermere catching even the slightest whiff of Nik’s rotting corpse? Because he’s not there, that’s why! (Guessing.) Not sure if I think that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Nicholas Chavez is killing it as Spencer. Between him and AP, I would be excited about the next generation of GH if I didn’t expect both to jump ship at the first opportunity.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

I wish Ava had had the satisfaction of being the one to put Ryan down.

While Ryan has terrorized and tried to destroy Ava completely with his obsession, I cheered loudly when Mac shot Ryan dead. Felicia, Mac and Kevin versus Ryan was where it needed to end. Mac finally got to end Ryan, Felicia is now finally truly freed, and Kevin can finally let go of his evil twin brother. That final moment between Felicia, Mac and Kevin with Ryan's corpse was freaking earned and worth the almost 30 year wait.

• Like 8
  • Applause 8
7 minutes ago, nilyank said:

While Ryan has terrorized and tried to destroy Ava completely with his obsession, I cheered loudly when Mac shot Ryan dead. Felicia, Mac and Kevin versus Ryan was where it needed to end. Mac finally got to end Ryan, Felicia is now finally truly freed, and Kevin can finally let go of his evil twin brother. That final moment between Felicia, Mac and Kevin with Ryan's corpse was freaking earned and worth the almost 30 year wait.

Assuming Ryan stays dead, that is.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Jordan pronouncing him dead cracked me yup.

Well, at least she made herself useful for 7 seconds.  Yesterday she spent the day, standing around the living room, looking at her phone.  Today she shows up after everything has gone down, checks for a pulse and then, yep he's dead.  Gee thanks.  don't strain yourself there.  

6 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Assuming Ryan stays dead, that is.

They need to "Faison" him, open his head, onscreen and remove his brain and put it in a jar, otherwise he isn't dead.  And that doesn't even truly mean that Faison is dead!!!

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

As a lapsed viewer who generally cannot stay awake when Curtis is onscreen in recent years since Donnell Turner decided to stop acting, this is my first time really noticing N'neka, Curtis' hostess at the Savoy, and I have decided it is time for her to challenge the entire male cast to a fight and beat them all to within an inch of their lives. She is great. That is all.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

I know Curtis said he would close up the club but was it in the process of closing or was it already closed? Either way, that club looked much too put together to have had a lot of customers that evening.  Maybe Curtis is taking business advice from Phyllis.

• LOL 8
43 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

It’s getting brought up a lot but why is Curtis working with Selina Wu anyway? I think I missed the reason 

She had been asking him to let her use the club for her high-stakes card games, and he had been refusing, but then I think he wanted to get his mitts on Marshall's sealed arrest record, and she said she could get it for him under those terms. If that's all he got out of it, it doesn't say much for his deal-making, does it? 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

How is no one at Windermere catching even the slightest whiff of Nik’s rotting corpse? Because he’s not there, that’s why! (Guessing.) Not sure if I think that is a good thing or a bad thing.

I thought Nik's body was hidden in a room in the stables, I could be wrong. But if he is, between the cold slowing decay and horse poop I imagine no one would smell anything yet. But this is all speculation since the show has a habit of not spelling things out very well.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
20 hours ago, Daisy said:

honestly like i said, i want her to get her memories back and face up to what she did but the amnesia basically shoves her firmly into gray territory and I am okay with that. have her walk the line - and again. put her her with Cam and let Joss's head explode. i am all for it. 

YES I said the same thing last week.  I would love for her to be paired with Cam, I think they had chemistry.  Unfortunately WL isn’t on contract so I don’t know if he would be available for such a large storyline.

21 hours ago, standbyme said:

The only likable thing about Curtis is that he's a loyal friend to Nina. 

Curtis is definitely a good friend, and he plays that role well.  I always wanted him to have a larger role, but now I’m thinking that’s his strength and he should just stay there.  Hat is growing on me though. 

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

Curtis is definitely a good friend, and he plays that role well.

He’s an excellent friend but that’s sort of the bigger problem. Why is it that he can manage to be open and understanding when it comes to his friends but so judgmental when it comes to his partners? With the exception of Laura, his friends all have shady pasts and sometimes present but that’s never an issue for him.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

And Taggert letting Portia know that no matter what, he is Trina's dad.

We'll see how that goes if Curtis does end up being Trina's bio dad. Ugh. I don't want to imagine that.

12 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

I wish this show would keep these vets more front and center. They work so well with with the new kids.

It's so shortsighted they don't, as that's one of soaps' huge advantages—multiple generations of characters (and actors) to write for. And the vets can often make a story work that the newbies can't. But no, the Carlys are the only family we see interacting on a regular basis. And no one can make this current snooze fest with them work, IMO.

3 hours ago, jsbt said:

[Neka] is great.

She really is. She gets one line every six months, yet you totally believe her. I think Curtis needs to start looking her way for some comfort... I'm entirely certain she's not a squealer like Portia.

11 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Why is it that he can manage to be open and understanding when it comes to his friends but so judgmental when it comes to his partners?

For one thing, he's not sleeping with his friends or marrying them. I do think the bar is set a little higher for partners than for friends for things like trust. Nina's actions didn't hurt him, but Portia's did. However, his self-righteousness is totally off-putting and somewhat unearned, given his own lying self. Also, get your head out of your butt and get a frickin' DNA test!

• Like 3
21 hours ago, Daisy said:

AP is killing it. 
honestly like i said, i want her to get her memories back and face up to what she did but the amnesia basically shoves her firmly into gray territory and I am okay with that. have her walk the line - and again. put her her with Cam and let Joss's head explode. i am all for it. 

Taggert is showing why he's such a better and bigger man than Curtis. 
#KeepTrinaTaggerts

Reason number gazillion why Trina should stay Taggert's child , not to mention the already decades long friction between him and the Cassadines and him and Sonny.

• Like 4
18 hours ago, jsbt said:

I never doubted it! But I was among the earliest adopters of Tabyana Ali technology. She's always been excellent IMO.

I would be into Cameron with a faux-innocent Esme conning him for a bit, but then they need to give the poor guy a real major romance. And AFAIC Esme's baby should not survive, or should be given up and sent away just like she was. The last thing this show needs is even more fucking kids (like Michael's latest), especially to very young stars who are viable in active story not involving more babies.

Yeah, Tabyana is incredibly talented and coming into a recast in the middle of a storyline as a 20year old is crazy. She's a real find.

Not to mention it's rare to find a Black Actress (not a bi-racial actress) nevermind a dark-skinned Black Actress on a soap opera and not playing a villain. As much as time has marched on, soap operas have remained frozen in time in terms of diversity where they used to be the leading medium.

IIRC there hasn't been a dark-skinned Black actress on GH with a storyline since the Wards and the last one I remember seeing on a soaps in general was Dayzee on B and B.

Edited by slayer2
More on the matter
  • Like 2
  • Love 6
19 hours ago, jsbt said:

It really is astounding how willing they are to saddle the next generation of characters with babies. How in the hell does it make sense to give ESME, who is barely in her 20s, a son? Thank god these writers weren't around in 80s or Luke and Laura would have had two kids before their wedding.

• Like 8
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1

Having babies at a younger age is common in lower middle class or working class families. And there are the girls who get pregnant thinking a baby will compensate for the lack of love in their lives. (Or get them the cool guy, a soap staple.) Lately it's been the lazy soap writer's way of grafting a character into a core family.

At least Esme and little Ace did achieve Ryan's goal of splitting up Ava and Nik. 🙂 I'm pretty sure Ace will earn his keep inspiring plenty of Cassadine, Webber and Collins family drama. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
11 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Here's hoping Esmé comes up with a name other than Ace for the baby.

I keep thinking of OLTL's Kevin & Kellys son Ace (Asa Buchannan the II). 

this BLQ/Sonny set is gorgeous. where is it?

• Like 2
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, tessaray said:

At least Esme and little Ace did achieve Ryan's goal of splitting up Ava and Nik. 🙂 I'm pretty sure Ace will earn his keep inspiring plenty of Cassadine, Webber and Collins family drama. 

It's just a matter of time before Esme Jr. is diagnosed with a disease and needs a vital organ or bone marrow to survive. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
33 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Here's hoping Esmé comes up with a name other than Ace for the baby.

She hasn't actually mentioned the baby as Ace since the memory loss but he'll always be Ace to me. 🙂 At least the amnesia will keep her from naming him for Ryan.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, slayer2 said:

Taggert is showing why he's such a better and bigger man than Curtis. 
#KeepTrinaTaggerts

To be fair Taggert has raised Trina her whole life, so it’s normal that she would be his first concern.  He’s been her dad her entire life.  Curtis has never been a father, so I think it’s realistic that he’s reeling from this news and kind of in his own feelings right now.

I love how Nina drags Drew at every opportunity.  Calling him out on forgiving Carly a nanosecond after she not only withheld the truth, but actively tried to sabotage him from find out the truth.  He deserves it.  And Nina should feel thankful she doesn’t even know the half of it.

Umm Joss hellooo….you are very aware that your boyfriend is up to shenanigans he’s not even trying to hide that from you so you don’t get to be all surprised and mad about it.  Just stop.

I’m glad Sasha got to say her piece to Heather but good god, she was totally outmatched.  AM was running circles around the Sasha actress (I’m sorry I don’t know her name).

Edited by mostlylurking
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1

Whoa . . . . what a departure from the past few days!! The Carlys are awful and ridiculously boring. I don't care about their drama anymore. They just need to wrap it all up. We all know Willow is not dying so why are they wasting time on this? It's not interesting.  

I only un-muted a couple of times during the hour. 

Sam/Dante - never went off mute. 

Nina/Drewfus - I unmuted a couple of times, but didn't listen to their entire conversation. I loved Nina's last line to Drew. Drew used to have morals. I know he kisses Carly's butt and licks her feet, but even I was taken aback by him saying Carly owed Nina nothing. That didn't seem like something even this doofy Drew would say. Drew is firmly a Carly sycophant and a trash human being now. Good job, GH. 

Dumpster Barbie & Ken - I looked up and read he revealed that he's working against Sonny. At least they're getting some movement on that storyline. And he's putting Sonny's fate in her hands .  . . . umm . . . ok. 🙄

Sonny/BLQ - never went off mute. But I loved loved loved that room. Beautiful decorations. All the windows and light! Goregous room! 

Heather/Sasha - didn't go off mute. 

Sonny/Michael - I went off mute here. I liked Sonny's last line to Michael b/c it's really true. If I were dying, I would hope I wouldn't be as nasty as Willow. She's such a horrible, unpleasant, unlikable character. I know she hates Nina but all Nina ever really did was try to visit her grandson. It's not the crime of the century. She was stolen from Nina. She could grant the woman who birthed her five minutes of her precious time. Ugh . . . . I wish the character would die. She's just insufferable. 

Carly/Willow - Never went off mute and rarely looked up to see the scene had changed. I detest both of those characters!  

• Like 13
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, lala2 said:

loved Nina's last line to Drew. Drew used to have morals. I know he kisses Carly's butt and licks her feet, but even I was taken aback by him saying Carly owed Nina nothing.

if the argument is Carly owed Nina nothing - for not telling her about her daughter twice - then everyone can stop being mad at Nina because Nina owed Carly nothing about keeping quiet about Sonny - and she wanted to at first .

ya see how that works

• Like 16
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

Shouldn't Michael be filling out paperwork, and not "an extended member of the family"? Man, they have no idea what to do with Drewfus.

LOL that the show is still trying to convince us that Amelia is "small."

Just now, Daisy said:

if the argument is Carly owed Nina nothing - for not telling her about her daughter twice - then everyone can stop being mad at Nina because Nina owed Carly nothing about keeping quiet about Sonny - and she wanted to at first .

You'd think, but you'd be wrong. When something goes against the Carlys, there is no forgiveness.

• Like 10
  • Fire 2
Just now, dubbel zout said:

Shouldn't Michael be filling out paperwork, and not "an extended member of the family"? Man, they have no idea what to do with Drewfus.

i was going to comment on that but i had to do a work thing - an extended family can't fill out paperwork. it has to be next of Kin. 

just like how did Carly have Golden Spawns? that confused me - it felt like it was supposed to be a surprise for willow. which again makes no sense. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

@Daisy and @dubbel zout - Yup . . . It make no sense that Drew was checking out Willow. Wilow should have checked herself out. She's not even married to Michael, so she's no relation to Drew. Michael couldn't check her out either. Why couldn't she check herself out? She looks strong enough to sign some papers.  

This stupid scene btw Nina and Drewfus could happened at the MetroCourt or Deception or something. 

Edited by lala2
  • Like 5
57 minutes ago, Daisy said:

nina is hopping mad, but still wish someone would flat out go why aren't these people organizing a Bone marrow drive

Lol it’s crazy that they immediately gave up after putting the bare minimum effort into look for a donor. Especially considering how rich some of the people tied to Willow are. It’s even more frustrating that she’ll have a miracle match when they aren’t even looking 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1