Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

23 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

This show really hates Nina and really wants us to hate her.  I'm guessing she'll tell Michael that she knows the truth and that she'll sign up to be a donor so Michael can yell at her for looking at Willow's chart.  

They'll probably make her beg to be allowed to save Willow's life.

• Like 9

I was also surprised that Carly spilled. This stalled story is now moving at warp speed for mysterious reasons - the MC departure, maybe?

What was the name of the school Spencer and Esme went to? I heard “École internationale des xxx…” I can fill in the blanks with all kinds of things 😜, but I’m curious as to the name.

I think Esme truly has lost her memory, and I think Spencer now believes so too, but it will be temporary.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, ciarra said:

It makes even less sense that Laura's grandson was dating Heather's daughter.  And Heather's son was married to Laura's ex DIL. 

So soap opera! No one ever dates or marries someone from another town or who no one knows. I know this is budget-related because the shows can't afford that many actors, but it is always vaguely incestuous, and there are a number of women with multiple last names from their various marriages.

Edited by KittyQ
I meant "can't" not "can".
  • Like 2

Memory loss is often temporary and comes back after a while. It's a good way to delay the story.

2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Because the idiot child was talking about baby names and she's having fee-fees. And if you're worried about Wiley being scared, TELL HIM WHAT'S GOING ON. Good lord.

I really hate how they're writing Wylie.  Willow telling Wylie that he and Michael can be the ones to pick out the baby's name. Wylie being so excited to get a sister, as opposed to a brother which is what most boys want.

Willow needs so, so much therapy. This idolizing of Michael and Wylie is not good for her.

2 hours ago, ffwbe said:

I’m glad Drew finally caught a clue but the writing is at an all time low with this story. It came out of nowhere. We never saw those convos between Drew and Carly where she made it obvious that she didn’t want to find Willow’s mother. In fact, we didn’t see her “helping” with the investigation at all. Then Carly randomly confesses to paying off Denise when he didn’t suspect she was actively sabotaging him and then immediately confessing that Nina is the mom once Drew tells her Willow has cancer.

There were a couple of scenes of Carly helping Drew go through pictures looking for Josiah, and then hiding the right one when she found it. But other than that, yeah, it was mostly Drew talking about how wonderful Carly is for helping him in the search.

Other than how quickly Carly folded, I thought that today was fairly decent. Drew arrived saying that he didn't want to kiss her when he had a question for her, and then confronted her about why she was so reluctant to help and maybe had been keeping him from finding more information. Carly stalled and tried to justify it because Willow didn't originally want to know and she didn't want to stress her more but Drew pushed and pushed, saying that both he and she had originally not known their families and gone looking for them, and how well it turned out for Carly in her relationship with Bobbie now. Then he told Carly at least twice that it wasn't her place to make the decision for Willow especially when Willow said that she wanted her family found.

I think that they had Carly tell Drew about Denise and hiding Josiah's photo, and then coming clean that Nina is Willow's mother when he told her about the leukemia because the writers don't want Carly to look too awful.

16 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

But now I think that she is probably not a match for Willow.

Still, it opens it up to other people. I'd love to see Liesl reacting "Why should I donate my bone marrow to that vindictive trembling mouse?"  James and Wylie are now also possible donors. 

Edited by statsgirl
  • Like 7
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, statsgirl said:

I think that they had Carly tell Drew about Denise and hiding Josiah's photo, and then coming clean that Nina is Willow's mother when he told her about the leukemia because the writers don't want Carly to look too awful.

*Checks calendar* about two decades too late on that one.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 16
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Desperado said:

recently had a rant on the Y&R board here, wanting a character to get an abortion. Current daytime dramas got rid of the romantic aspects of old soaps, yet are still firmly in the “every woman has to have a child” trope, that then disappears, yes. And one more, and zone more… So many things can happen to us in a lifetime, restricting it to bearing kids in 2023 is unbelievably reductionary.

It is surprising to me that in 2023 abortion seems to be taboo on the soaps. I wonder why?  

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Desperado said:

Current daytime dramas got rid of the romantic aspects of old soaps, yet are still firmly in the “every woman has to have a child” trope,

Also that every woman wants a child, and without one is incomplete.

I also find it highly unlikely that attention-demanding Wiley is excited to have a sibling.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Kim0820 said:

It's like the writers can't think of anything new, or are told any ideas they have won't work, or it is written by a computer formula or a roomful of monkeys. 

Here now. A roomful of monkeys could totally write a better show.

8 hours ago, ffwbe said:

Frankly I hate Sonny and don’t particularly care about Nina but what we’ve seen of them together seems way more happy and healthy than Michael and Willow. 

Or than Sonny and Carly.

4 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

The other Carly and Dex sexing up on his couch? Pass. 

Yes, does he not have a bedroom? Always on the couch. And is he going to ask mini-Carly if she regrets it every time? I don't know about her, but I do.

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

And, Michael, Sonny has always been a hypocrite.

Yes, and it's definitely a pot, meet kettle situation, too.

Edited by Fellaway
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
2 hours ago, ciarra said:

I also find it highly unlikely that attention-demanding Wiley is excited to have a sibling.

The ridiculous dialogue they give him to make him seem precocious and sweet when it's more like unbelievable and eye-rolling.  Didn't we already do the "I wanna name my new sister after a dog" with Danny and Scout?  And let's not even get into the helicopter-parenting Millow is doing. 

Joss truly is so self-involved that she thinks Sonny's text was about her seeing Dex.  I LOL'd at the blank look he gave her when she came storming into his office. 

The stopwatch is starting on how long Drewfus will stay mad at Carly.  Can he make it to five whole minutes?  IDK, IDK.

Oh, Nina, I'm sure this meeting with Michael is going to go just swell.  I can't wait to see him give you his ULTRA constipated "I'm so angry" *stomps foot* face.  And of course Willow will come running down and collapse in a puddle.   Joy!  But at least there's finally movement in this storyline.  At least there's that.

Edited by Cheyanne11
  • Like 4
  • Applause 3

I'm old, which is why I've only posted on the 80s thread before this.  But I'm also now retired, which means I am no longer a month or two behind in watching the show, even if I still FF some (a lot) of it.  So, re: today's episode and the Willow issue---a) the old GH may have had paper records, but the new, sleek, nearly staff-less and patient-less GH must surely be entirely on an electronic, unpackable (and thereby un-accidentally readable) record by now; and b) Willow lunging at a donor after chemo didn't work seems to indicate that she doesn't understand chemo is required to prepare the recipient for a transplant.  

I realize this is a soap, and one that has even been centered around science fiction at times.  But drama is so much more effective when it is real, and relatable, and it is more often than not found in the nitty gritty, and lost when reality is glossed over.  Think about how touching it was to watch Britt give herself a birthday/farewell party when she knew she was decompensating.  We can all relate to coming to terms with our mortality.  But can we relate to holding someone hostage in a tower?

Yes, I miss the stories of the 80s, but I see so much potential in the current storylines, if only they played out with just the slightest nod to reality.

• Like 11
  • Applause 4
40 minutes ago, CeChase said:

Nina has no chill.  Running over to Michael and Willow's. I love Nina, and I hate when they have her doing that kind of shit.  It's so annoying.  

It’s intentional. Every time Carly either gets exposed or does something underhanded, they have Nina do something dumb in the same episode so they’re both the problem, or I think that’s how we’re supposed to see them anyway. Problem is Nina’s actions never make any sense. There’s never any reason that they she should be tracking down or confronting Willow or Michael and she does it time and time again. 

• Like 9

Today's viewing experience:

Loved the Laura/Elizabeth stuff

Ff'd the Michael/Willow stuff

Frustrated with how Nina is getting thrown under the bus for Carly's sake once again.

Reflected on how Wright, Mathison, and Bernard have lost all their charm (and they did used to have charm in the '90s) but kept all their actorly tics.

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Willow needs so, so much therapy. This idolizing of Michael

She’s fallen victim to the Michael-worship that the writers seem so desperate to lull us viewers into.  

2 hours ago, ffwbe said:

It’s intentional. Every time Carly either gets exposed or does something underhanded, they have Nina do something dumb in the same episode so they’re both the problem, or I think that’s how we’re supposed to see them anyway. 

2 hours ago, Steph J said:

Today's viewing experience:

Frustrated with how Nina is getting thrown under the bus for Carly's sake once again.

Agreed, and it’s been more blatant of late.  As much as I’d like to see consequences for Carly, I suspect Nina’s arrival will cause Willow to pass out/miscarry/get in a snit and thus everyone will be hunky dory with Carly’s lies in fewer than five episodes.  

Carly on Willow looking sick: “how did I not notice?”  Mr. mbluecpa, loud enough to wake the cat: “Because you’re a f***ing narcissist!”

The only surprise of the Joss/Dex scenes was that he didn’t answer the door shirtless.  Cam who?

All of the drama surrounding Esme, Windermere, etc. feels well-paced and well-acted and is incorporating a large number of the cast.  Becky Herbst is playing the guilt/fear of being caught perfectly.

• Like 9

What idiot hospital would ever let a third party take their Chief of Staff’s documents and sort through them?  This is like 50 lawsuits for the price of one.  Also, is there a way that Willow’s leukemia could kill her, Michael, Wiley, and Carly in one shot?

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

Well, maybe Nina is there because Drew and Carly are going to run over to tell Willow who her mother is?  If this is setting up them all being in the same room when the reveal happens, I will give this a pass.  But if it's for any other reason, then it's just terrible writing for Nina. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I got all excited and proud of Drewpy Drawers for finally having a mind of his own and calling Carly out, but then he erased all that by saying Carly wouldnt have withheld the information if she’d known about the leukemia.

THAT’S NOT THE POINT. It wasn’t her call to make, period. 

As for Esme: right now, it’s looking like her amnesia is real, but it’s entirely possible the writers are misdirecting so it will be a big! shocking! reveal! when we find out she was faking all along. My guess is, the writers haven’t decided yet, so they’re leaving all possibilities open.

• Like 13
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, Suicidy said:

What idiot hospital would ever let a third party take their Chief of Staff’s documents and sort through them?

9 hours ago, ffwbe said:

Every time Carly either gets exposed or does something underhanded, they have Nina do something dumb in the same episode

This is why I hated this plotpoint. I personally thought it was ridiculous to begin with that the file would be in Nina'a apartment but ok - SOAP. But then they are just setting up another stupid reason for Nina to run over to confront Michael and Willow like a lunatic. It certainly would have been more interesting to go the Britt was a match route.

• Like 4
35 minutes ago, Blackie said:

would have been more interesting to go the Britt was a match route.

Especially since they walked the donor back anyway, having Terri tell them that the donor's doctor had signed off on the transplant.  If that was going to happen why not just have it be Britt.  Unless they meant it that it was Britt and they just didn't tell us the donor's name and we were supposed to asssume that.  

1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

are misdirecting so it will be a big! shocking! reveal! when we find out she was faking all along.

Yeah, but they usually go for the big! shocking! reveal! months after the entire viewing audience has already figured it out and written it better.  That's why I keep waiting for a moment when Esme is alone and starts telling Ace what her plans are.  

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Desperado said:

What was the name of the school Spencer and Esme went to? I heard “École internationale des xxx…” I can fill in the blanks with all kinds of things 😜, but I’m curious as to the name.

It sounded like "des jardins" to me, but I don't know why you would go to a school of gardens.  

Maybe it was "des argents."  Not hiding their money grubbing:)

• LOL 5
31 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Especially since they walked the donor back anyway, having Terri tell them that the donor's doctor had signed off on the transplant.  If that was going to happen why not just have it be Britt.  Unless they meant it that it was Britt and they just didn't tell us the donor's name and we were supposed to asssume that.  

That's not what happened. Apparently, they discovered other health issues with the potential donor, which disqualified them. Terri explained that's why donors have physicals before any potential procedures-to make sure they're still a good candidate. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Blackie said:

But then they are just setting up another stupid reason for Nina to run over to confront Michael and Willow like a lunatic.

And it's extra annoying because Carly has barged into places and given her unsolicited two cents a million times...and that's always OK, because reasons.  Nina does it and they're like "we must take her to court to protect Wiley!"  

• Like 3
  • Applause 4

I do have to say, in spite of Carly's machinations, she does seem to love her family as she fully came clean the minute Drew told her Willow had cancer and needed a bone marrow donation

I wish as others said that Nina hadn't barged over to Michael and Willow's place once she learned about Willow's cancer and then bellowed she needed to talk about her grandson. I'm more on her side about seeing Wiley than Michael and Willow but klutzy stuff like that doesn't help her. I do agree I like seeing Sonny with her as Maurice seems more relaxed and Sonny seems a little nicer with a new partner

• Like 7
1 minute ago, DanaK said:

I do have to say, in spite of Carly's machinations, she does seem to love her family as she fully came clean the minute Drew told her Willow had cancer and needed a bone marrow donation

Carly's biggest priority is to keep Nina far from the family. She wouldn't have come clean had Willow not been sick, so I give her no points for that. In some ways, I wish the show had had her keep the secret, but there's no way it would cross that line with Carly.

• Like 8
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, mbluecpa said:

Carly on Willow looking sick: “how did I not notice?”  Mr. mbluecpa, loud enough to wake the cat: “Because you’re a f***ing narcissist!”

Kudos to Mr. mbluecpa for the correct use of a term widely misused.

55 minutes ago, DanaK said:

I do agree I like seeing Sonny with her as Maurice seems more relaxed and Sonny seems a little nicer with a new partner

He seems to be having more fun too. His recent facial expressions make me want to laugh rather than punch him out as I used to.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
32 minutes ago, ciarra said:

Nina, call first.

Michael, don't open the door.

Problem solved.

I don't blame Nina for not calling, but Michael is (as usual) an idiot for opening the door, especially since he made a point of seeing who it was first

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Cody telling Brook Lynn that she should lie to Chase shows how much better they are for each other than Chase is for her. Although not even Brook Lynn really deserves Cody.

Nice to see Nina finally getting her Olbrecht side on in telling Michael that it isn't fair to Wylie.

I did love Willow's dream of Nina taking away Wylie and the baby.😈  Just waiting for them to blame  Nina for frightening Wylie.

"This is what I think, I think you didn't tell me because you knew I wouldn't go along with it because you knew you're wrong"  Did someone take Britt's backbone and transplant it into Drew?

I was really annoyed that Joss' over the top reaction but I guess that Oscar makes it somewhat understandable. Somewhat. But for heaven's sake, get therapy.

I couldn't figure out why Michael was calling Brook Lynn until I realized that she was next door.

Nice tribute to Sonya Eddy at the end but too short.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1

Pretty boring show today. Interesting that Gladys went to Sonny for… nothing at all?

Willow. Willow. Willow. It’s been a while since I wanted a character to die so badly. The writing is not the actress’ friend, at all. I’m not looking forward to Nina being stuck with her as a daughter, way too limpy (before and after being diagnosed) and detached from reality.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
20 hours ago, ciarra said:

I can buy it, he probably thinks of a sibling as a new toy to play with. The actual reality, with a newborn who only screams, sleeps, and shits, that will take time and attention away from him? That, he's not gonna be too keen on, I bet.

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Like 2
  • LOL 3
58 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Nice to see Nina finally getting her Olbrecht side on in telling Michael that it isn't fair to Wylie.

Nina went in hot though, thinking Michael stopped Willow from getting the treatment in the first trimester when in fact Michael had no idea.  the stupidity is all on willow's shoulders. 

58 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Did someone take Britt's backbone and transplant it into Drew?

Only if he keeps it for longer than a week.  

1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

couldn't figure out why Michael was calling Brook Lynn until I realized that she was next door.

I thought he wanted BLQ to stay with Wylie, so I was surprised to see that he left Nina alone with Wylie  

28 minutes ago, Desperado said:

Interesting that Gladys went to Sonny for… nothing at all?

To plant the "she's stealing Sasha's money" seeds.  She brought up the sale of the garage, letting it slip that it's for financial issues, even though Sonny said Sasha doesn't need the money.  

Doesn't Sonny own the garage and was just letting Brando work there?  Since when did Brando own it?  

• Like 3

I definitely enjoyed Drew yelling at Carly for a second day. I imagine that hoping he'll say that her actions have put an end to them as a couple is too much to hope for. (On a side note, I did start wondering if, when he signed on, he thought he was going to get much more of a bad boy role -- something that would let him stretch a bit from  his Hallmark image. After all, we've all read the interviews where people said they were promised something that didn't occur.) 

I don't give two hoots about Michael and Willow. The only thing that would make the story interesting would be if someone would have to make a decision -- save the baby although it would mean certain death for Willow, or save Willow although it would mean certain death for the baby, especially since at least two people now know that Nina would be the blood relative who would have to make the decision. Fiancés don't get the final say. Who would speak up then?  That would be soapy.

I think Gladys went to Sonny to sound him out about selling the garage because she's so deeply in debt from gambling. It wasn't a social visit. 

Edited by rur
  • Like 9

Yeah, when Gladys said that it was important to sell the garage right. now. it wasn't about Sasha but about her gambling.

6 minutes ago, rur said:

The only thing that would make the story interesting would be if someone would have to make a decision -- save the baby although it would mean certain death for Willow, or save Willow although it would mean certain death for the baby, especially at least two people now know that Nina would be the blood relative who would have to make the decision. Fiancés don't get the final say. That would be soapy.

Please, please, please, please. Especially since both Wylie and the fetus are her grandchildren. Soapy.

11 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

I thought he wanted BLQ to stay with Wylie, so I was surprised to see that he left Nina alone with Wylie  

Yeah. I figured that the wormhole brought the ambulance to the gatehouse before Brook Lynn could get down there (even though it is on the same property) and Michael didn't want to wait.

• Like 3

"I found Leo in the barn with Thor." That sounds like a Q version of Clue, heh.

Cody doesn't know what biscotti are? Whatever, Show.

I'm loving how Willow's diagnosis is coming out beyond her and Michael's control. Love Wiley being so glad to see Nina. Suck on it, Michael.

54 minutes ago, Fellaway said:

Truth talkin' Drew. I like it.

I found those scenes oddly unsatisfying. I think because Drew kept excusing Carly for not telling Willow right away. So what if a lot was going on with Willow when Carly read the results of the DNA test? So what if Willow said she didn't want to know who her birth mother was? Carly was playing the puppet master, despite her protestations to the contrary.

The Chase/Sasha scenes were pretty good, I thought.

LOL at how obvious the doll was in Willow's "nightmare." 

Aw, nice tribute to Sonya Eddy. I think it was just right for her tenure and who Pip was on the show.

• Like 6

Wiley clearly likes Nina and Willow came off completely unhinged when she came downstairs and saw them together. There’s absolutely zero chance that she and Michael won’t try to poison Wiley against Nina. They come off even worse than Sonny and Carly were about AJ. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 8

I admit to smirking when Wylie ran over to Nina. Take that you two arseholes. He misses his grandmother you idiots ! Time to do what is best for child instead of yourselves. 
Carly will still come out of this smelling like rose. Everyone will wax poetic how she just loves with her whole heart, blah blah, puke puke. She’s a lying liar who lies people. 
l

are

• Like 9
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Wiley clearly likes Nina and Willow came off completely unhinged when she came downstairs and saw them together. There’s absolutely zero chance that she and Michael won’t try to poison Wiley against Nina. They come off even worse than Sonny and Carly were about AJ. 

I can't wait to see it.  I was at another board (you would all know it I think) and the Nina hate is so unhinged.  I can't even post there anymore.  It sounded to me like Willow had another meltdown, but it was all about how Nina is a monster.  

• Like 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

"This is what I think, I think you didn't tell me because you knew I wouldn't go along with it because you knew you're wrong"  Did someone take Britt's backbone and transplant it into Drew.

Hah! Maybe Britt's possessing Drew.  

Anyway, this was a welcome personality development for Drew, as he's behaving like a normal human being instead of a schmoopy lovesick puppy.

• Like 5
  • Applause 3

So Willow's cancer is all about Joss, huh?  She's just a mini-Carly.  And I just noticed today that Carly has a Karen haircut.  I'm all for Drew dragging Carly.

Joss wants to cuddle with Dex outside at night in upstate New York instead of going to visit her brother after she found out his wife has cancer and is pregnant.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2

I loved Drew's reaction because it wasn't just about temper and feeling betrayed, a la early Sonny. It had an almost paternal "I"m more disappointed than anything" quality, as in he doesn't want that kind of relationship. I know it won't last, but there was definitely at least a hint of him being about to walk away for good.

What drives me crazy about when the writers have Nina go over to yell at Michael and/or Willow is that she really doesn't act true to herself in those moments. I just don't buy Nina, however worried about her grandson, confronting a worried husband and father..... In contrast, anything Carly does that's needling or unkind is right up her alley. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1