Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

The show clearly loves KT, with the big splashy farewell party and extended photo montage, and now a soapy death scene, too? I hate seeing Britt die, but I prefer this for the character over languishing away in a Lulu-style coma. At least she didn’t die alone. And I’m sure she’ll be welcomed back with open arms and resuscitated if KT ever chooses to return.

Way to stay out of sight, Dex. Cam just got his heart broken, and then he’s one glance over the shoulder away from seeing Joss in Dex’s arms? Of course, Joss is even worse for standing there and letting it happen.

Maybe Esme is being reverse Jasoned. If she suddenly asks for a reindeer sweater, we’re in trouble.

• Like 5
  • LOL 10
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

Yeah, I guess, but Cam deserves way better than a psycho nutcase.

Exactly! I know some like Esme, but she is a nutjob. They have yet to flesh out her character, and talking to her unborn child and naming it Ace is not character development. Why is Esme doing her dad's bidding? Is she that desperate to be connected to him? Does she have any personal desires, dreams, or goals for herself? Does she truly want a child? This is a lifelong commitment she's making on what seems to be a whim to further her dad's idiotic plans to reunite w/Ava. Does she actually think her dad has a chance of reuniting w/Ava after he killed Ava's daughter? If so, she's just as deluded and whacked out as her dad. I'll continue to ask if she ever had any true feelings for Spencer and why she cared so much about Josslyn. Does she feel any remorse for releasing a sex tape of Caoss or for letting Trina go to trial for her crimes? What redeeming qualities does she have? 

I may be in the minority but I don't care that Nikolas locked her up. Esme is a one-note psycho. I'm glad he locked her up. She contributes nothing to this show. She's not even entertaining (IMO). She is Peter levels of obnoxious and bad. They've done nothing w/this character! I'm sick of waiting to see if there is more to her. I don't care anymore. I just wish she would go. If she does stick around, I sincerely hope she miscarries. None of the characters involved (Esme, Nik, Spencer) need a baby right now. 

4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I agree, and with Lipton on recurring status, I wonder if it's worth it.

Yeah . . . since they are not invested in Cameron, I don't see them writing for him. Everything about Caoss has been off-screen. Some say Cameron should have known, but I assumed he and Josslyn were spending time together on off-screen GH. 

If the plan is to continue using WL as sparingly as they have, then I see no reason for him to get into a relationship w/anyone. Or he can have a Felix like relationship - some unknown, unseen person off-screen. 

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

The show clearly loves KT, with the big splashy farewell party and extended photo montage, and now a soapy death scene, too?

It's embarrassing tbh. I know a lot of people like Britt and that I am in a relative minority (around here at least) of hating her from day one, but you'd think Britt was Laura Spencer or Audrey Hardy given the sendoff she got vs. tons of far more integral characters with many more years under their belt. To say nothing of where all these supposed cherished childhood moment photos came from in that long montage. We know a lot about Britt's actual upbringing and it was not exactly Eight is Enough. But hey, that's me.

Also: How is Dante still having the 'how can I be a cop and love Sonny' conversation in the year of our Lord 2023? How many times have we had this talk? Can this character not evolve to some sort of equilibrium that makes sense either on one side of the line or the other, or decide (as I believe he did by the end of Guza's run) that he will work with Sonny on some things because of the devil you know but keep a careful eye and have a hard limit? How long is this going to go on? Dante and Sam are basically C-listers now and I never thought that would happen. Poor DZ. And Kelly finally looks old.

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 4
  • Applause 5
58 minutes ago, jsbt said:

I know a lot of people like Britt and that I am in a relative minority (around here at least) of hating her from day one, but you'd think Britt was Laura Spencer or Audrey Hardy given the sendoff she got vs. tons of far more integral characters with many more years under their belt.

Nope. Another one here who never liked her, and then trying to pass off Dante's baby as Patrick's baby when she first appeared. Like Obrecht, I will never like her or side with her because of what she did to Robin and stabbing Robert in the chest with that syringe that put him in a coma for a year.

And I pretty much stated that I didn't like this montage they gave Kelly, when they couldn't bother to do anything for Stuart Damon, or even Leslie Charles' or Genie's milestones, pages back.

• Like 5

Today must have been difficult for KW.  So is Cody really Mac's son? 

It doesn't matter now. but TIIC really missed an opportunity for Austin and Britt.  Putting him with Maxie was strange. 

I'm enjoying Colonel Tad and wish he was on more often.  Maybe whenever the writers get back to finding Lucy that will happen.

• Like 9
4 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

So is Cody really Mac's son? 

Apparently. When he got the results, it said, I think, it was a match, but he told Mac and Felicia he wasn't, so that he could grab the Ice Princess necklace for his own damn self.

But Robert grabbed it as evidence. Thank goodness.

• Like 4

It's nice that Cody was helping a filly give birth last night but horses really shouldn't be bred until they are old enough to stop growing and be mares.

Joss needs to tell the police that she was there at the dock and the Hook attacked her first, to connect the previous killings. They also need to tell the police that Dex shot the Hook. Speaking of which, what happened to Heather's gun shot wound?

I think they're trying to make Curtis a good guy but he's so narcissistic, he doesn't care about anyone but himself and controlling those he cares about.

I'm guessing that KG and RoHo like working with each other given that Obrecht was one of Franco's few friends and the Obrecht/Austin scenes today.

Martin telling Esme not to talk to anyone especially doctors is hampering her treatment.

10 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Today must have been difficult for KW. 

I'd forgotten what happened to her. Poor thing.

• Like 7
34 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Nope. Another one here who never liked her, and then trying to pass off Dante's baby as Patrick's baby when she first appeared. Like Obrecht, I will never like her or side with her because of what she did to Robin and stabbing Robert in the chest with that syringe that put him in a coma for a year.

And I pretty much stated that I didn't like this montage they gave Kelly, when they couldn't bother to do anything for Stuart Damon, or even Leslie Charles' or Genie's milestones, pages back.

I consider myself neutral on Britt. I like some of her scenes but she’s never been a fave. I thought the montage and OTT exit was way too much and I don’t think she’s a big enough character to warrant all of that. The photo reel didn’t even match the character since she has maybe 3 or 4 people in town she’s close to. Im sure they couldn’t come up with a montage because she doesn’t have the memorable scenes for anyone to care. I could see the reasoning behind it if it was celebrating a supporting character played by a beloved actress who died IRL or was retiring after decades on the show but she debuted in 2012 and was off the show for half that time. It’s bizarre. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
5 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

I think her tears at the end of the last scene were real and she was overcome with emotion, heartbreaking.

The actor playing Brad, on the other hand, was simply terrible. I could handle him in a fun duo with Maxie though.

As foreseen here by many, Heather is not the only hooker. Is Esme really the first one though? And how could Heather provide her with an alibi of some sort if she didn’t even know Esme’s whereabouts?

Also, Heather is dressed very well for someone having spent tons of years in jail and no support system.

• Like 7
13 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Speaking of which, what happened to Heather's gun shot wound?

She reacted when Ryan grabbed her arm and said she hurt herself last night when she was out hooking (!).  So I guess Dex managed to get her in the right arm even though he was standing on the left side of her.  

13 minutes ago, Desperado said:

And how could Heather provide her with an alibi of some sort if she didn’t even know Esme’s whereabouts?

She knows where Esme is now, in police custody.  So if she hooks again, than they'll know it wasn't Esme.  Dante is already suspecting that there is no way that pregnant Esme is hooking people like Brando and Rory.  

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Desperado said:

The actor playing Brad, on the other hand, was simply terrible. I could handle him in a fun duo with Maxie though.

He really was awful.  I thought PS/Brad was a better actor but dude couldn't even squeeze out a single tear.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

She knows where Esme is now, in police custody.  So if she hooks again, than they'll know it wasn't Esme.  Dante is already suspecting that there is no way that pregnant Esme is hooking people like Brando and Rory.  

But she didn’t know where Esme was when she went after Joss/Britt and the way she spoke to Ryan, she had been doing it a few times before too.

My head hurts over a stupid soap plot. 🤣

• Like 6
36 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I consider myself neutral on Britt. I like some of her scenes but she’s never been a fave. I thought the montage and OTT exit was way too much and I don’t think she’s a big enough character to warrant all of that. The photo reel didn’t even match the character since she has maybe 3 or 4 people in town she’s close to. Im sure they couldn’t come up with a montage because she doesn’t have the memorable scenes for anyone to care. I could see the reasoning behind it if it was celebrating a supporting character played by a beloved actress who died IRL or was retiring after decades on the show but she debuted in 2012 and was off the show for half that time. It’s bizarre. 

I agree w/you both, and I'm a huge Britt fan. I always liked her! I liked her w/Patrick and Nik. Loved her friendship w/Brad. Would have loved to see her w/Austin. The only side eye I gave the character was when she stole Lulu's embryo. That was wrong, but I still liked the character. 

So . . . as a fan, the montage as a bit much for me too! It was OTT and signaled the character's death. I agree that other departing actors w/longer stints on the show should have been givne such montages, not Britt. It was clearly for the actress, and that's not how tv should work.  

• Like 5

Jon Lindstrom always makes Kevin such a soothing presence.

21 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

I thought PS/Brad was a better actor but dude couldn't even squeeze out a single tear.

He sounded more like a petulant child than someone grieving his best friend's death. There should have been more despair.

I'm liking that Esmé probably does have amnesia. It's nicely soapy, and AP is playing it just right.

40 minutes ago, statsgirl said:
51 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

I'd forgotten what happened to her. Poor thing.

.She looked completely wrecked. Ugh, I feel so sorry for her.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
On 1/4/2023 at 3:56 PM, YaddaYadda said:

The reveal that Nikolas is the father of Esme's baby was soapy as hell. Really great. Laura's expression was priceless and Trina's reaction to Ava slapping Nikolas was priceless. And Elizabeth's expression at the slap was also good. And Dante standing there and his face? Also priceless. 

Is there a video of all of this?  We were preempted most of yesterday’s show due to a tornado watch and I only caught the first few minutes. 

Maybe whatever Obrecht is going to do is going to cause the miscarriage.

Jordan and Curtis  were full FF.

hmm who has more authority, the Dr who says the patient needs treatment or the patient's lawyer?

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

Do not care about Cody's Britt pain!

Dante needs to binge watch some 48 Hours, Dateline, and First 48 cuz he is the worst interrogator I have ever seen! He tells every suspect exactly what his theories are and why and jabbers with them about the evidence instead of locking them into a story or establishing their time lines. 

And finally, Curtis, please, we all know you ripped that pathetic tiny plant right off the wall behind you!

• Like 1
  • LOL 9

Were Portia and Britt really friends? I remember Portia jumping in the Britch bandwagon even though she was brand new to GH. And I don't really remember then interacting all that much. And it's especially dumb to have to writers claim friendship when they don't bother building these relationships. I guess I'm friends with my next door neighbor because I said hi to him twice.

So there are two hook killers? Or what? This storyline is incredibly dumb. How does Heather even know where Esme is to try and give some weird alibi. 

Is Joss going to come forward or is she going to keep her mouth shut to protect Dex?

I stand by what I said last time about Elizabeth and Nikolas not fessing up to knowing where Esme is. Blood on their hands. Same applies to Joss if she keeps mum. 

Leisl visiting Esme doesn't bode well for Esme.

Nikolas getting a lawyer for Esme makes no sense? 

It was nice having a double doze of Jon Lidstrom today. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
58 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Maybe whatever Obrecht is going to do is going to cause the miscarriage.

Jordan and Curtis  were full FF.

hmm who has more authority, the Dr who says the patient needs treatment or the patient's lawyer?

I think once she realizes a baby is involved, she'll pull back. (Old-school Dr. O probably wouldn't hesitate, though!) Or Nina will find her in time. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:

How does Heather even know where Esme is to try and give some weird alibi. 

Ryan told her that he knew she had hooked Britt on the docks and that Esme was in police custody.  So it would make sense for Heather to hook someone while Esme is in custody to prove she isn't the hooker.  

Is Joss going to come forward or is she going to keep her mouth shut to protect Dex

This is a retorical question, yes?  She hasn't come forward yet and it appears to be either later in the day on Jan 1 and everyone knows that Britt died.  

It was nice having a double doze of Jon Lidstrom today. 

And Kevin was looking seriously HAWT!!

• Like 4

I think Heather told Ryan that now with Esme in police custody, if she goes out and attacks someone else it will show that Esme is innocent.

2 hours ago, Blackie said:

Unless the patient is in physical danger. 'm pretty sure it's the lawyer.

2 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Nikolas getting a lawyer for Esme makes no sense?

It's a way of trying to make  sure that she doesn't talk too much.

• Like 5

I swear the pacing of this show SUCKS.

So, Laura, Spencer, Trina, and Ava, just disappear from the hospital? Oh riiiight. Instead of, you know, resuming from yesterday, where  viewers can see Laura also rip into Nik, it’s the next day already. 🙄😒😒

And Martin? Esmé does need to talk with her doctors-you know, the people treating her? They’re not cops.

Heather being the killer makes NO SENSE. Wasn’t Brando killed before Alley even showed up as Heather?

And the reasoning is beyond stupid. Stephen Lars was the apple of her eye and her world until Franco was. Now Esmé is. So will the idiot writers give her another child to replace her with?

• Like 6
On 1/4/2023 at 3:31 PM, TeeVee329 said:

Wow, so she's already letting herself off the (heh) hook.  "I broke up with him in my mind so I was totally free to sleep with Dex!"  Girl, no.

I NEED Cam to Catch them, remember how she broke up with him then read her skanky ass for Filth 

• Like 2
  • Applause 6

Credit where it's due: Eden McCoy was very good with William Lipton today. Lipton is always excellent. It's GH's fault for not securing him on a contract, but that doesn't have to mean he can't get major story. AFAIK Kathleen Gati, useless JPS and half the cast are off contract. If they want to commit to Cameron they can do so. It is a choice, but Frank (and GH before him) has always has a aversion to the homegrown 'good' characters, always is chasing the next pointless hardbody. Dex, Brando, etc. are interchangeable to me.

Speaking of Gati, she did not shed a single tear during Britt's death scene. I watched closely. Embarrassing. I know she's a better actor than that, even if I have never bought and never will buy Obrecht's face turn. I can buy her evolving a bit re: her children, but I think she will always be a psycho and will default to abuse and insanity if she's ever pushed.

Chavez and Tabyana Ali are still excellent together. It is embarrassing how many obstacles they have thrown at a young, super-popular interracial pairing to keep them from physically touching lips for the better part of two years. This would not have happened 20 years or even 30 years ago, when GH often did Black/white romances that were physically demonstrative onscreen, so I have to conclude at this point it's not coincidence. The young white couples don't wait this long to share a kiss. IIRC Chavez has a year left on his contract. Sight unseen I am willing to bet they are hoping to run out the length of his contract and minimize Spencer and Trina's onscreen intimacy as much as possible. That's how fucking regressive and bigoted ABCD/GH and elements of this country have become over the last 20 years, that GH now feels it has to highly scrub and sanitize even interracial romance in the fucking 2020s like they're enforcing COVID protocols.

Believe me, I'd love to be wrong. I imagine Spencer and Trina might (might!!) finallly kiss in February, and if the show suddenly flips the switch then and has them hardcore intimate full-time from then on nothing would make me happier. But this feels calculated. YMMV.

One more thing -

GH (12/30): Who needs frontburner LGBT stories when you have Heterosexual Dr. Britt's super gay birthday party? She's so fierce and snarky, right? Sure, she has about two speeds acting-wise but that's all you need! Remember when we forced everyone to call her the Brittch all the time? Gay guys loved that, right? Look at these strippers! George Michael! Brad! It's so gay and fierce without the inconvenient need for actual gay storylines and contract players!!I Slay, queen hahahahaha

GH (1/5): Britt's dead!

Edited by jsbt
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, perkie1968 said:
3 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Is Joss going to come forward or is she going to keep her mouth shut to protect Dex

This is a retorical question, yes?  She hasn't come forward yet and it appears to be either later in the day on Jan 1 and everyone knows that Britt died.  

I'm waiting for tomorrow when she feels a tinge of guilt and for Carly to tell her that, well, there's nothing she can do about it now and coming forward will only cause her problems.  Because the one thing the shrew does well is look out for #1. 

5 hours ago, Desperado said:

Really bad.  He's always been pretty weak in emotional scenes, but today might've been a new low.  He was so good with the catty friendship stuff with KT--would be nice if he and KStorms could generate that vibe.

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, jsbt said:

William Lipton today. Lipton is always excellent. It's GH's fault for not securing him on a contract, but that doesn't have to mean he can't get major story

I thought I read that it was WL that asked not to be on contract because he wanted to focus on school.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, Blackie said:

I thought I read that it was WL that asked not to be on contract because he wanted to focus on school.

Sure, but it can be six of one, half a dozen of the other. Plenty of young stars on soaps have made that call but the show has worked with it, be they on contract or off, to continue to give them A-story as leads. I believe they did it with Kimberly McCullough for awhile. If the character and performer is a priority it can work.

Edited by jsbt
  • Applause 1
8 hours ago, lala2 said:

I know some like Esme, but she is a nutjob. They have yet to flesh out her character, and talking to her unborn child and naming it Ace is not character development. Why is Esme doing her dad's bidding? Is she that desperate to be connected to him? Does she have any personal desires, dreams, or goals for herself? Does she truly want a child? This is a lifelong commitment she's making on what seems to be a whim to further her dad's idiotic plans to reunite w/Ava. Does she actually think her dad has a chance of reuniting w/Ava after he killed Ava's daughter? If so, she's just as deluded and whacked out as her dad.

I couldn't agree more. As introduced, Esme has been nothing more than a one-note, "totally misunderstood bad girl/psycho" with no other identifying characteristics. Even the last bad-girl, Nell, dragged that ridiculous vision-board around with her like it was some kind of security blanket. But it also gave Nell some context and humanized her in a way. She was a person, despite doing awful things, that harbored some kind of hopes and dreams for a better future. We get none of that from Esme. I really do believe she's not faking the amnesia, and if so, it may be permanent, giving the writers a window to redeem the character.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
20 minutes ago, jsbt said:

Sure, but it can be six of one, half a dozen of the other. Plenty of young stars on soaps have made that call but the show has worked with it, be they on contract or off, to continue to give them A-story as leads. I believe they did it with Kimberly McCullough for awhile. If the character and performer is a priority it can work.

Is Eden still in school? They have no trouble working around her college schedule.

2 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

I really do believe she's not faking the amnesia, and if so, it may be permanent, giving the writers a window to redeem the character.

Or she recovers memories a few months from now--after having been rehabilitated-- and is horrified at what an awful person she was, yadda yadda yadda. 

• Like 4
22 hours ago, Mirabelle said:

I hope Esme's amnesia is real because there should be some physical consequences to jumping off a parapet even if the writers/set designers can't agree if it's 20 feet or five fee above ground level especially if this is the second time a person takes the fast route down. 

Maybe she'll be a reverse Jason and become an angelic, law abiding citizen as a result of her head injury.

I really hope that at some point Cam finds out that Joss cheated on him before breaking up with him so that he can tear her a new one. The fact that she got be like "we just grew apart, no one's fault" and then walk right out into Dex's waiting arms really doesn't sit right with me. Of course, knowing this show and its belief that Sonny, Carly, Michael, and Joss can do no wrong, Cam would probably end up apologizing to Joss for pushing to towards Dex or something insane like that.

• Like 3
  • Applause 5
28 minutes ago, justduckey said:

Is Eden still in school? They have no trouble working around her college schedule.

From what other actors have said, they don’t tape GH all that much these days with block taping and reduced episode counts. I have a feeling it’s because she’s not pursuing an acting or singing career outside of GH like WL and SM are. They’ve always been diplomatic but I thought it was more about them not have enough time for GH outside of school and their ultimate career goals. SM has been working on other projects and WL posts a lot about his performances and has his band so they’re not solely focused on only college. If Eden is still pursuing an acting career outside of soaps, she hasn’t mentioned it in a long time or booked anything so her schedule is likely more open. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

In retrospect, we should have reached for the FF with the Portia/Curtis scenes, but damn I can’t help but feel like anvils keep falling every time they talk about their upcoming wedding.  Either a big “secret” is revealed or maybe Portia gets hooked, but it feels like something’s due to go wrong.

The Cody rehab continues with a haircut and beard trim.  Who are they planning to pair him with?

I liked Britt 2.0 (and KT) but yeah, the tribute was a lot.  I’ll give them a chance but am not holding my breath on how the writers handle Sonya Eddy’s passing (i.e. I’m hoping it’s at least as tribute-worthy as what we just saw).

Edited by mbluecpa
  • Like 7

I have removed posts for belittling/targeting posters. This won't fly. If you disagree, do so IN A CIVIL MANNER.

If that is not possible, the ignore feature is available. Myself, @dubbel zout, and/or @thewhiteowlwould be happy to assist you if you do not know how it works.

Further posts of such a nature will result in warnings. Proceed accordingly.

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1
13 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

She already did her good deed for the week by breaking up with Cameron.  Can't overload the poor girl. 

• LOL 11
1 hour ago, standbyme said:

She already did her good deed for the week by breaking up with Cameron.  Can't overload the poor girl. 

Also *checks watch* it's been a good 12 hours since she bitched about Sonny.  Girlie has a full schedule!

• LOL 6

I don't get it. Are Michael and Joss hardcore anti-Sonny all of a sudden just because he dumped their mom for Nina? Because that's sure what it looks like lol

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 10
3 minutes ago, jsbt said:

I don't get it. Are Michael and Joss hardcore anti-Sonny all of a sudden just because he dumped their mom for Nina? Because that's sure what it looks like lol

That's what it looks like because that's what it is, for sure.  They had zero problem with what Sonny did for a living before but are now claiming their "eyes are open" to him.  More like they're grudging, big time.

Shut up, Michael.

Shut up, Joss.

• Like 12
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, jsbt said:

They’re claiming to be anti-mob now but yeah, it’s all about Nina. I really want someone, anyone, call them out about how they were the best man and maid of honor at a wedding designed to solidify mob control just last year and were gushing over their mob boss mommy and step daddy. Neither gave a single slightly negative comment about Carly running the mob even when they were both said to be in clear danger because of it

• Like 10