Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

Just now, KittenPokerCheater said:

Since I, too, am opposed to a DID storyline, I am hoping it will be Liz's rapist from long ago, finally out of prison and out for revenge.  And Liz will be able to take him down, because she's no longer a 16 year old. 

Didn't they already do a story line where her rapist was out of jail? And that he was killed? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
31 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Didn't they already do a story line where her rapist was out of jail? And that he was killed? 

I'm sorry.  Are we pretending that death is a permanent thing in Port Charles land?

Speaking of the rape, if Elizabeth had repressed trauma from childhood abuse, I think that's when it would have surfaced.

• Love 7
(edited)
41 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Technically, yes, but the story was all about Franco so it was a big disappointment. Actually I think even Alexis had a bigger presence in that storyline than Liz did since she originally thought she killed Tom Baker when she was blackout drunk. 

Edited by ffwbe
  • Useful 2
9 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I'm sorry.  Are we pretending that death is a permanent thing in Port Charles land?

Not at all. Just that they've already done a story line where Tom (I think that was the rapist's name) where he was released from prison. If they want to say oh, wait! He wasn't killed after all, that's something else. But this show is so stupid, if they go down this route, they'll retcon that he was released from prison the first time.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Are we going to get some ~flashback today of Esme breaking into the GH lab and stealing some pregnant woman's urine?

I can't decide if I want this because it's soapy and fun or I hate it because baby stories on GH were played out 25 years ago and the last thing this show needs is more babies. Or even more pregnancy stories.

Edited by dubbel zout
Esmé isn't pregnant.
  • Love 2

The timing of today's episode is wonky. Aiden is getting ready for school, Ava and Scot are having breakfast as are Esme and Spencer, and at the Savoy the Deception crew are back from New York and hosting a drinking party. All these things can't be true.

Brook Lynn was looking especially gorgeous today.

Jake and Aiden are eating Honey nut Grainios. 🤣🤣🤣

OMG, Austin cut his hair. Is that Maxie's influence?

I don't think  I've seen any fight as fake as Sonny vs unnamed dayplayer.

They had the perfect cliff-hanger for the episode, Ava returning, what will she do?, and then they lose is going to the Deception party and the lame "What if it's Franco?"

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Speaking of the rape, if Elizabeth had repressed trauma from childhood abuse, I think that's when it would have surfaced.

Exactly. The point of a separate identity is to protect the victim from the memory of the abuse.

About 90% of DID cases come from sexual abuse or neglect. I can't see Audrey allowing the level of neglect that it would take, and if it's eff, that's a cheap shot.

Best case scenario, it's someone Liz's parents failed to protect her from given all the abandonment clues.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

At least the Props department has a sense of humor. They also gave Alexis some fun liquor bottles.

Amanda Setton's lipstick was fantastic. Why can't that makeup person do KSt's?

• Love 4

Everyone looked cute at the Deception party but it was a huge dud since nothing happened. Sasha was using but it didn’t cause a giant meltdown, BL comes off incredibly annoying about Austin, I don’t particularly care about Ms. Wu being their investor, and Anna and Felecia were glorified extras. 

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

KSt told makeup, hair and wardrobe people that their dogs are dumb and children are ugly.

Probably not. But it's the only thing I can think of that explains why they do that to her.

I watched a lot of the episode on FF or while staring at my computer screen. So I've really got nothing clever or mean to say, but that whole IPO situation was eye roll inducing. I don't care about anything to do with Deception, Sasha popping pills, Brando and his Grinch smile and so on.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

"I know how it feels to be away for so long..." Sonny, it was 30 days in baby jail. Spencer was hardly doing hard time for years.

Should Curtis's tie knot been a little higher up the shirt? It looked like there was some space between the tie and top button and collar.

Ugh, we're getting an Elizabeth-has-a-mental-illness story.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Not at all. Just that they've already done a story line where Tom (I think that was the rapist's name) where he was released from prison. If they want to say oh, wait! He wasn't killed after all, that's something else. But this show is so stupid, if they go down this route, they'll retcon that he was released from prison the first time.

"HE DOESN'T HAVE A HEAD!!!!!"

• LOL 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Brook Lynn was looking especially gorgeous today.

The Grainios was hilarious, the little Bee 😅😅

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Ok I wasn't a fan, better then Maxie's orange. I guess I am not a fan of dark lipstick in general but I think today Maxie could have had some lipstick today at least. But I guess they knew she would be kissing Austin. I thought Felicia's and Gladys's eye shadow was weird. Lucy's outfit was fantastic.

Is Ms Wu doing some kind of pump and dump with the stock?

Again the young actor NC, not only holds his own in a scene with the BIG "lead" actor of the show but actually makes MB better!!!!  I thought the writing was good and MB didn't flub his lines. Sonny was dead on commending Spencer for wanting to be loyal, but he is backing the wrong horse.

Laura is right, Esme should fear Ava. can't wait! (Although really Laura should step in and take Esme back to her house for 1 month to get he shit together and then leave town, she can guarantee her safety from Sonny.... that's not soapy though)

Edited by Blackie
MB not SB
  • Love 7
(edited)

OMG, Austin cut his hair. Is that Maxie's influence?

Maxie needs to worry about herself because as usual, she looked the worst among the group.   Makeup was awful.  There were a few days she looked decent and I thought hair and makeup finally got their shit together but nope. Brooklyn looked beautiful.  Loved the bold lip.

hours ago, Katy M said:

Normally yes but this is GH they literally change stories as they are still playing them out so we can’t expect continuity on something that happened decades ago.

Add me to the group that is not looking forward to a mental illness and/or abuse story.  I think the way Jeff and Carolyn abandoned their daughter can and should be reason enough for Liz to not trust them or want them in her life (I’ve been through something similar.). 

Oh wonderful they are making Laura dumb again. “I don’t think Esme is in any danger from Sonny.”  Have you met Sonny??  Rub two brain cells together for Pete’s sake.  The Spencer/Sonny scenes were really good.  Usually the vets make the newbies better, but in this case I almost think Mo was stronger because of NC.

Edited by mostlylurking
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:

KSt told makeup, hair and wardrobe people that their dogs are dumb and children are ugly.

LOL

Yesterday the lipstick was too much and today she's not wearing any at all.  she's too pale not to have any at all.  

I like Gladys but sometimes, <heavy sigh>......  a newlywed shows up with flowers it's going to be for his wife not his mother.  Geez.  

color me shocked that Esme's test was negative.  I don't know where this goes now.  

Ava's not going to go scorched earth because Scotty told her to hang onto the matrimonial money.  she'll play nice when she shouldn't.  

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Ava's not going to go scorched earth because Scotty told her to hang onto the matrimonial money.  she'll play nice when she shouldn't.  

She is going to plant her flag, maybe she will draw chalk lines where Esme is allowed to walk. Or confine her to the catacombs. I'm sure there are enough rooms at Windemere that they shouldn't have to cross paths.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I'm glad that Ava is going to be sensible. Moving out was stupid. But

1 hour ago, Blackie said:

really Laura should step in and take Esme back to her house for 1 month to get he shit together and then leave town, she can guarantee her safety from Sonny

is a much better idea.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, perkie1968 said:

color me shocked that Esme's test was negative.  I don't know where this goes now.  

I was a little surprised too, but Esme managed to get a guarantee from Spencer that she could stay no matter what the test showed, which was clever. Now I think Esme will (continue to) interfere with Nik and Ava’s relationship

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, DanaK said:

I was a little surprised too, but Esme managed to get a guarantee from Spencer that she could stay no matter what the test showed, which was clever. Now I think Esme will (continue to) interfere with Nik and Ava’s relationship

I wouldn’t be surprised she said it was negative only because Spencer said that. It kind of helps her since the pregnancy would have probably given her a temporary reprieve from Sonny but now, Nik and Spencer would be even more protective over her since they don’t know what he’ll do. 

(edited)
11 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Didn't Show pull the same kind of crap [a sexual-abuser rewrite] with Rick Weber when they killed him off and sent Laura off into a catatonic state? Except Laura thought Rick was the murderer, when it was her, but Scotty took the blame or whatever?

I will always believe the original plan in 2002 was to reveal that Rick Webber had molested Laura. Guza and Pratt had just become GH's head writers at that time, and the way they were setting up the story, with Laura having intrusive memories of an attic (with creepy music playing) from the moment she and Rick reestablished contact, was so close in its visuals and tone to Alison on Melrose Place eight years earlier. Pratt had been a supervising producer and writer/director on MP. 

They were getting a lot of mockery on message boards at the time for what looked like a blatant retread of one of the head writers' "greatest hits." Even the motivating event of the reunion was the same: Alison's father had come to town for her wedding, as Rick had for the Laura/Luke remarriage.

I think there was a swerve in direction partway through, either because of negative fan reaction (and seeing where the story was going from 100 miles away) or because someone at GH threw up a stop sign. So we had the convoluted business with young Laura having accidentally killed Rick's mistress when she walked in on them in the attic.

The end result was the same, though. They brought back a well-liked character after 15 years, gave him a sleazy retconned story, and then killed him off. 

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9

It was identical to the Alison story on MP initially, and I suspect either the network or Genie vetoed it or both. I know there was a rumor floating around years ago that originally the role of Theresa Carter, Rick's mistress, was supposed to be the young Bobbie. But I have no idea what happened there, and no one's ever talked about it in print that I know of.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

Oh wonderful they are making Laura dumb again. “I don’t think Esme is in any danger from Sonny.”  Have you met Sonny??  

Eh, is Sonny really that much of a threat without Jason? Sonny can yell real loud and throw barware, but Jason's the one who got his hands dirty doing the actual mob stuff.

It's not like Sonny's going to shoot Esme in the head - he only does that to women he "loves."

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Steph J said:

Eh, is Sonny really that much of a threat without Jason? Sonny can yell real loud and throw barware, but Jason's the one who got his hands dirty doing the actual mob stuff.

It's not like Sonny's going to shoot Esme in the head - he only does that to women he "loves."

I assumed that Sonny/Brick convo was code for Sonny getting a new Jason. During the other times Jason wasn’t around, someone stepped into that role. I recall Zander and Shawn and there may have been others. 

22 hours ago, ByaNose said:

First off, Elizabeth’s dream actually kind of scared me. That said, it’s so obvious that Biz has DID. Esme and her tennis sneakers were on display again. The other actresses must envy her comfy sneaks. I don’t like having to choose between Britt and Lady Wu. Since Steve Burton isn’t coming anytime soon Britt needs to find a guy and get busy. There aren’t many single or no single guys on the canvas though. I guess it’s time FV to search the soap Rolodex. Is anyone available?

I read somewhere that the type of sneakers Avery Pohl is wearing are the current trend for girls her age.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Agree! Didn't Show pull the same kind of crap with Rick Weber when they killed him off and sent Laura off into a catatonic state? Except Laura thought Rick was the murderer, when it was her, but Scotty took the blame or whatever?

I HATE FRANK so much. Decimating vets and beloved characters left and right.

It’s a sign of creative bankruptcy.  That’s why so many of this show’s characters are so god awful.  It isn’t the actors.

• Love 3

I really thought for a second, while Felicia was gushing all over Maxie at the Deception party, that there would be no moment between her and Lucy, her longtime best friend.  So I was pleasantly surprised it happened.  But it's kinda weak how glancingly the IPO was about Lucy, given it was her baby from minute one.  Really, people wanted a speech from Sasha, people care about what the Face of Deception says?  And no Tad Martin Gray to support her?

And all the fake outrage about Mrs. Wu investing was so stupid.  If Sonny had sunk his mob money into the company, they'd have been thrilled.

Also?  They gotta stop this Austin/Maxie thing dead.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

And all the fake outrage about Mrs. Wu investing was so stupid.  If Sonny had sunk his mob money into the company, they'd have been thrilled.

Sonny had owned Deception in the 90s.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, paisley said:

Isn't Valentin a Deception  investor?

I believe so but I don’t know if the writers have bothered to address his absence as JPS is filming another show.

• Love 1
(edited)

That insanely stupid recurring DOOL devil possession storyline 🙄 should make its way over to Port Charles and start taking over some souls. Looks like Esme might already be on the list. 

Edited by seasons
19 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

At least the Props department has a sense of humor. They also gave Alexis some fun liquor bottles.

Is it possible that some of the actors are still doing their own hair and makeup?  BH’s hair has never been the same since Covid. Yesterday it was a stiff sprayed helmet. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, seasons said:

That insanely stupid recurring DOOL devil possession storyline 🙄 should make its way over to Port Charles and start taking over some souls. Looks like Esme might already be on the list. 

I would welcome a demon worshipping cult because it'd be different from anything the show has done in the last 15 years. 

• LOL 4
19 minutes ago, Mirabelle said:

I would welcome a demon worshipping cult because it'd be different from anything the show has done in the last 15 years. 

Just bring back the vampires.  Maybe turn Mooby and Carly into vampires.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

This episode felt so boring. The best parts was the final surprise revea; with the bad moustache and bad accent, and the expression on Ava's face as Nik was grovelling and calling Esme "that off brand sociopath". Welcome back, Lady Macbeth.

Anna is a beautiful woman. The material of that dress looked like it belonged in the plus size shop. I don't care about the Ice Princess or Jennifer Smith.

Laura, instead of telling Esme to make peace with Spencer, I would be telling her to shut her mouth and be grateful that she is living rent free in a mansion.

Ugh, Brick is going to be Sonny's new Jason.

Trina still wanting to excuse Spencer after what he said to her 😴😴Zzzzzz

TJ: "I was just regaling my family on the ins and outs of an ACL repair.".

Stella: "And I definitely want to hear more about it [unspoken - but I have to go clean out my sock drawer'."]

• Love 10

The Spencer/Esme/Trina story is stalled out on the multiple scenes of the same dialogue similar to the Sony/Carly/Nina scenes last month. Is this some kind of writing/story telling technique? Move stories along people...

• Love 10
(edited)
15 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

What was the deal with Drew's T-shirt? The shoulders were all wonky.

I was too busy looking at Curtis's safari jacket.

Edited by Blackie
spelling
  • Love 1

You can really see CM's embarrassment about his character having nothing to do except run all over town lending an ear or gushing over other peoples' stupid lives.

Are they chem testing Ms. Woo?! Maybe they should make it interesting and have someone unexpected fall into a dirty fling with her. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

ou can really see CM's embarrassment about his character having nothing to do except run all over town lending an ear or gushing over other peoples' stupid lives.

He was way over the top with his enthusiasm about Curtis and Portia's "new" place.  Geez, tThe house ain't that special. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Glad Val is back but I can’t with that costume 😂 and Jennifer Smith openly talking about mob matters at that resort was... well normal for GH I guess.

what exactly happened with Stella?  She already looked dazed coming in from the patio with Hatman - was it implied that he had said or done something to her?  Or was her collapse unrelated?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Today Stella had just remembered that she had pocketed the divorce papers before she collapsed.

Her stroke was when she had them in her bag after she had stolen them off of Jordan's desk. Apparently the idea that Curtis is going to divorce Jordan causes her to collapse.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1