Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, CeChase said:

Also I've been stanning Sonny this week.  Someone send help.  Probably a good psychiatrist is needed.  Maybe more than one.

I wouldn't go that far, but I have not actively hated Sonny for multiple episodes in a row and it is very disorientating.

Edited by Melgaypet
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9

If Chase gets with Brooklyn, he will spend the entire relationship with that pained, pensive look on his face because he can't read her mind. 

Spencer is back on my shit list. Being super stupid about Esme, not believing in Trina, and yesterday when Victor said he would spirit Esme and the baby away so it wouldn't affect Spencer's life, Spencer replied "Thank you." 

• Love 10

How long has Esme been on this show now? Six months? Eight? And we still don't have any real idea of her goals or motivations or, well, anything at all. Ridiculous. I enjoy Avery Pohl, but come on.

• Love 21

Trina screaming at Spencer to gtfo and the cop in the room treating him like a nuisance was so satisfying. The new actress did a great job. 

Nikolas and Spencer are both idiots. Is Victor the only Cassadine man with a brain? 

• Love 16
35 minutes ago, Melgaypet said:

How long has Esme been on this show now? Six months? Eight? And we still don't have any real idea of her goals or motivations or, well, anything at all. Ridiculous. I enjoy Avery Pohl, but come on.

This, none of her scheme make sense.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 8

Is it really surprising that Spencer would believe flimsy evidence against Trina? Not to me cause Spencer has always been wishy washy when it came to his relationship with both Trina and Esme. And I for one don't give a crap if he's playing the long con to trap Esme, cause treating Trina the way he did in the interrogation room was both unacceptable and unnecessary. I was peeved that Trina really sat there trying to convince Spencer she didn't do this before she told him to GTFO. That's right, know your worth girl.

Maybe this is the perfect time to build the Trina and Cam relationship back up if they want to shake up his relationship with Joss. I always wanted to see where that romance could go, and Cam and Trina were always good at being there for each other when they were going through a crisis. Anyway, can't wait to see Spencer's derp face when this all comes to light. And Trina walks right past him to.....new cop Rory?

• Love 11
10 hours ago, Gam2 said:

I’ve been a huge fan of Genie’s for years and years. However, I do wish she’d cut her hair and get an actual hair style. All we see anymore is this straight, flat, long hair.

Oh I thought it has finally looked good this last week ! 

Sonny today was so/so for me, but not as bad as he usually would be.

ETA: at first I thought Spencer was saying all those things to Trina so the cop would hear her deny doing it numerous times, It just made no sense for Spencer. But then I realized the "family loyalty" talk sunk in. Anyways those scenes were well acted by NuTrina but it was just so stupid that Trina could be visited by all these people and that she would talk in front of a cop without her lawyer.

Not only is the whole town ganging up on Esme, they will all be piled up outside the bathroom door when she finally pees on the stick!!

Edited by Blackie
eta
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

NuTrina was really good today--and I did see chemistry between her and NC.  I don't know where they're going with this storyline and the teen set pairings, but I'm not ready to dismiss a Sprina pairing just yet.

When Dante was listing all of Brooklyn's shortcomings Chase should've said "you do realize you're dating someone who conned multiple men out of their life savings, right?" 

• LOL 3
  • Love 19

Actions speak louder than words. And I think new cop Rory's actions today were very endearing and spoke volumes to both myself and Trina. He stood there and payed attention to their conversation and body language and immediately decided to side with Trina. First by backing her up when Trina told Spencer to get out, then giving her the drink when she looked defeated to show her his support. Sweet.

And Sonny continues to do things his family have blatantly told him to stay out of (Carly, Joss, and Michael) but you know classic Sonny, he does what he wants. I'm just glad that he was unfazed by Esme's fake 'help me' act and that he challenged Victor's threat. Cause Victor, the Cassadines might be formidable, but Sonny's just crazy when he's in tunnel vision mode. Didn't you see the crazy eyes when he told you to come at him?

• Love 4

Ok. I'm sold on NuTrina. 

I am intrigued by a Sonny/Victor rivalry. More interesting than another paper tiger mob antagonist.

I agree that I am ready for BLQ/Chase to get a move on. I've gone back and watched them on YouTube. They started back before the temp Brook Lynn recast. It's ridiculous. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ulkis said:

This, none of her scheme make sense.

So far, her only motivation appears to be pleasing daddy, amd receiving his approval, amd maybe holding onto Spencer.

• Love 3

NuTrina reminds me a bit of a young Vanessa Williams. Not Miss America/"Save the Best for Last" Vanessa Williams; the other Vanessa Williams, who was on Melrose Place in the first season and in Soul Food

She did a great job on yesterday's show. I think we needed to see Trina's sterner side to really judge, and this might be one of those rare recasts where the transition is as close to seamless as possible. The look and the energy are so close.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, racked said:

Nikolas and Spencer are both idiots. Is Victor the only Cassadine man with a brain? 

Is he, though? Esme has snowed him too. 

8 hours ago, KimChi Rogue said:

Actions speak louder than words. And I think new cop Rory's actions today were very endearing and spoke volumes to both myself and Trina. He stood there and payed attention to their conversation and body language and immediately decided to side with Trina. First by backing her up when Trina told Spencer to get out, then giving her the drink when she looked defeated to show her his support. Sweet.

That was really unexpected and just really good.

And totally manipulative on the writers part! They want us to like this new guy. So they used Trina to do that. He was very kind to her after she'd been put through the ringer. He essentially had her back. And I've seen nothing but praise for that and a bunch of edits of their very brief interaction.

4 minutes ago, jsbt said:

Seamless is not quite the word I'd use. I'm starting to think she's an upgrade and a better actress.

I think that she is too and it's not a knock against the original actress because I liked her a lot.

11 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

NuTrina was really good today--and I did see chemistry between her and NC.  I don't know where they're going with this storyline and the teen set pairings, but I'm not ready to dismiss a Sprina pairing just yet.

I thought there was chemistry there too. Different from what NC had with Sydney, but when he sort of smirked while talking about how she’s done out of character things for him too (really feeling himself there) I saw a sort of hate spark ignite.

But not only did he accuse her of terrible things and of lying to him about it, he was also still sleeping with Esme at the same time he was about to kiss Trina. They’re gonna need to do a lot to make them a viable couple again. Especially since new Trina (who was great yelling at him yesterday) really plays up the sweetness of Trina, it makes it even harder to accept the way Spencer has treated her. I hope new hot cop is a romantic interest for her. 

• Love 6

How long has Molly been working in the DA's office? I remember her sense of social justice and I don't buy that she'd go there. (Also, please God someone fix her styling and makeup.)

I think HP could still do more on this show with the right story, and I had pretty much written Molly off years ago but tbh we need more professional women people actually have a reason to give a shit about.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, jsbt said:

How long has Molly been working in the DA's office? I remember her sense of social justice and I don't buy that she'd go there.

Isn't that why she did go there?  She wanted to make sure sentences were the same for people across all races?

6 minutes ago, Katy M said:
19 minutes ago, jsbt said:

How long has Molly been working in the DA's office? I remember her sense of social justice and I don't buy that she'd go there.

Isn't that why she did go there?  She wanted to make sure sentences were the same for people across all races?

Yeah, I believe "fix the system from within" was her mindset.

Having said that, of course she gets a high profile case when the ink is still wet on her diploma, because because.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Yeah, I believe "fix the system from within" was her mindset.

Always works out!

I think Molly, given what she saw as a kid and also the uh, unique legal pedigree of both her parents, and being Gen Z would take a different track.

6 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

What, being in thrall to Ryan doesn't explain it all?

Also, is Esme actually Ryan's daughter or just doing some creepy role-playing? If he is her father, who's the mom? 

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, jsbt said:

How long has Molly been working in the DA's office? I remember her sense of social justice and I don't buy that she'd go there. (Also, please God someone fix her styling and makeup.)

I think HP could still do more on this show with the right story, and I had pretty much written Molly off years ago but tbh we need more professional women people actually have a reason to give a shit about.

They referenced her interning their while in law school and Robert offered her a job after graduated last year. Mind you, she hasn’t even passed the bar yet but I guess she has since then. Idk tbh it’s something I like in theory better in practice. It’s cute that she followed in her parents’ footsteps and actually has a career but I don’t think the actress can pull it off and there’s no way someone fresh out of law school is trying cases on their own. 

• Love 1

I will be curious to see how well HP functions in the adult arena today. I guess that'll be the test of it. I've dismissed Molly for years.

Esme is a fine villain but yes, her schemes make no sense and seem to follow the whims of FV's personal attention. If her targets are the Cassadines, then she should focus her full force on them.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, jsbt said:

I will be curious to see how well HP functions in the adult arena today. I guess that'll be the test of it. I've dismissed Molly for years.

That’s true. I’m making an assumption but hopefully, she surprises me. I do think we need lawyers under 55 and I always thought it was strange that none of the legacy characters became lawyers. Scott is an exception but I’m struggling to think of anyone else, which is weird considering that I would consider it one of the more necessary careers and it makes it easy to mix it up with characters they normally wouldn’t. All of the other lawyer characters I can remember came to town as adults and were already established attorneys. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Blackie said:

Not only is the whole town ganging up on Esme, they will all be piled up outside the bathroom door when she finally pees on the stick!!

I'm sure she'll have a positive one, purchased from Craigslist.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

That’s true. I’m making an assumption but hopefully, she surprises me. I do think we need lawyers under 55 and I always thought it was strange that none of the legacy characters became lawyers. Scott is an exception but I’m struggling to think of anyone else, which is weird considering that I would consider it one of the more necessary careers and it makes it easy to mix it up with characters they normally wouldn’t. All of the other lawyer characters I can remember came to town as adults and were already established attorneys. 

More young doctors too.  Wasn’t that the focus of the ‘Port Charles’ spinoff?  I mean, before the vampires rolled into town.

• LOL 1
3 minutes ago, Suicidy said:

More young doctors too.  Wasn’t that the focus of the ‘Port Charles’ spinoff?  I mean, before the vampires rolled into town.

Yes it was. I liked it better than the vampire/supernatural shit that they introduced later. I've made the argument that it was Grey's Anatomy before Grey's Anatomy was created, with Karen Wexler in the Meredith Grey role (as Karen was the legacy character). I wouldn't be surprised if Shonda watched some episodes. 

• Love 1

Scott has committed so many crimes it is insane. He once videotaped himself heisting the city's funds and left them a VHS tape trolling them about it! And then I think he came back and was DA again for awhile. And he still has a license. King shit

• LOL 2

Michael: I'd be down with offering Smoltz information as long as it isn't damaging to our family. Damaging anyone else, I'm good. (If I said that Michael is pond scum, it would be being unfair to pond scum.)

OH MY GOD.... Michael just thanked Willow's mother for helping her own daughter at the hospital?!?!?!? Who does he think he is? That's way too controlling, even for the child of Carly and Sonny.

Sam got Carly propping duty today. Nina meanwhile is an idiot.

I'm not going to defend Smoltz in any way but Diane calling him a bottom feeder and  say8ing that Michael was justified in punching him when she works for the bottom feeding Corinthos organization and prasies them constantly is too much.

The Alexis bio said that she was a graduate of Yale, Harvard Law and Editor of the Law Review. So some qualifications to be editor of the Invader, a paper that badly needs to change its name if it wants to rebrand.

Is it usual for the ADA to offer the plea deal right before they go to see the judge?  Wouldn't giving her time to think it over calmly lead to better decisions?

Harmony, the family isn't fighting over Wylie. Nina doesn't want custody, just visitation.

Nik, isn't it technically Ava's home? Shouldn't you check with her before moving in the woman who torched her car and haunted you as your dead daughter?

1 hour ago, jsbt said:

Esme is a fine villain but yes, her schemes make no sense and seem to follow the whims of FV's personal attention. If her targets are the Cassadines, then she should focus her full force on them.

She was. But then she got distracted by Joss in a purely personal way and wanted to put her down.. And also Spencer was falling for Trina which interfered in the anti-Ava plan. It's going to backfire on Esme because she's a wimmin and not a Corinthos but the thought makes sense,

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Michael, you sucker-punched a reporter. It doesn't matter what the reason was, there's no excuse for violence. LOL that he's all offended his character might be imputed.

6 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Nik, isn't it technically Ava's home? Shouldn't you check with her before moving in the woman who torched her car and haunted you as your dead daughter?

Nik should be checking with Ava simply because he's moving in the woman who torched her car and haunted her as her dead daughter. Doesn't matter who owns the house, IMO. If Nik didn't have such a reputation for terrible ideas, I'd almost think he's moving in Esmé to keep and eye on her and possibly get her out of Spencer's life for good. (I don't mean killing her, though Victor could probably be persuaded.)

• Love 8

Compared to yesterday’s show, today was disappointing to me.

Why are they discussing sentences for Trina, I thought it was a bail hearing? They super speed this and leave all the romances and the Victor/Esme stories on slow molasse mode. It’s quite confusing to me.

I couldn’t stomach the Nina/Carly fight, the Michael/Willow convos, New Killer Harmony, or Esme. At all.

I did like the Nick/Spencer talk though. Maybe in experiencing how adults  can make mistakes, Spencer can soften towards his dad. That’s the soap watcher talking though, IRL I’m not sure I would blame a son for never forgiving his dad for having faked his death for 3yrs.

I’m still suspicious of the new cop.

And did Alexis recognize the new guy in the last scene? I was muting and missed it.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

It's going to backfire on Esme because she's a wimmin

why does that matter? like if Esme was a male the plan would backfire anyway because it was too obvious.

5 minutes ago, Desperado said:

New Killer Harmony

who did she kill?

geeze i don't watch for a week, and stuff is being missed lol

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Desperado said:

And did Alexis recognize the new guy in the last scene? I was muting and missed it.

I don’t recognize him but they knew each other. I thought he was cute 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Desperado said:

Yes. She did. I have no clue who he is.

6 minutes ago, Daisy said:

who did she kill?

Neil. She stabbed him with a syringe full of drugs. 

Today's show was boring. Esme's woe is me routine is just so tiresome.

I'm gonna skip over the stupidity that is Trina's "trial." Because it was incredibly stupid.

Nina and Carly thug of war is tiresome. And Nina is all kinds of dumb. 

New cop is still pretty. But it really doesn't compensate for having to sit through Michael and Willow being self-righteous assholes. Get a fucking grip, touch grass, or just die. Whatever. Just go away.

ETA - I just saw that the man Alexis knows is Neil's brother.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 6

New guy was checking out Alexis' bio in the Invader issue and then went to her office where Alexis seemed to recognize him. Seems stalkery or someone from her past. Hopefully better than Infantalizing Shawn or Killer Harmony.

12 minutes ago, Daisy said:

? like if Esme was a male the plan would backfire anyway because it was too obvious.

Any plan against a Corinthos fails but it feels like men have a better track record on this show than women do.

5 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Esme's woe is me routine is just so tiresome.

It really is. The show does this all the time. 

This Wiley stuff is galactically stupid. There are so many ways the moronic couple can allow Nina to see Wiley and control it to their hearts' content. Nina won't say no if it means she gets to see her idiot grandson. 

Wow at the epic sneer Carly gave Nina when Nina was sincere about Joss. Couldn't they have her be grudgingly appreciative? No, of course not. Ugh.

NuTrina is okay, but her baby voice drives me batty.

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

New guy was checking out Alexis' bio in the Invader issue and then went to her office where Alexis seemed to recognize him.

She recognized him because he screamed at her at his brother's memorial.

So if Brendan is back right when we found out that Harmony killed Neil, then I have to assume that the two are connected.

1 minute ago, jsbt said:

Molly's extra ass would not take this case or do this job lol.

Molly looked completely out of place. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Her eye makeup is way too heavy.

She's a 23 year old they're trying to pass off as a 32 year old while slathering night out with the girls makeup on her face (Molly doesn't have friends, so night out at Charlie's with TJ).

• LOL 2
45 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Her eye makeup is way too heavy.

Someone decided the way to do her up was like Lexi Ainsworth's worst looks. It looks even worse on HP.

Performance aside, Molly would never be in this position as a character. She was fixated on social justice causes as a kid (of course, a lot of them centered around the greatness of "Uncle Sonny" but whatever).

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ffwbe said:

. . . . there’s no way someone fresh out of law school is trying cases on their own. 

That can definitely happen at a prosecutor's office. They throw you right in. There's no waiting period. 

I could see it happening at a small firm too or a non-profit. It really depends how much hand holding you get. I was thrown in . . . . sort of. Someone was in the courtroom, but I was up there by myself, doing it on my own for the most part. 

Edited by lala2
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3

Way to jump right into those very big shoes, NuTrina!

On 3/29/2022 at 6:59 PM, YaddaYadda said:

He's just there blinking and dispensing wisdom 

It’s kind of a shame the show didn’t pair up Jason and LastJordan when they had the chance. Between his blinking and her emotive eyebrow acting, the ocular romance could have been epic. 

On 3/29/2022 at 9:36 PM, TVbitch said:

I guess the family really enjoys a tiny French cake!

I don’t know why, but this made me laugh a ridiculous amount.

On 3/29/2022 at 11:41 PM, Suicidy said:

It’s almost certainly a burner phone.

Can someone explain to me why it was important to make the burner phone look exactly like Trina’s regular phone, same case and everything? Who would dress up their burner like that? If it was to make it look like it was Trina’s actual regular phone, how would that fly? It may be the same model, but it wouldn’t have the same Sim or registration, and I expect it’s blank other than the video. Unless Esme spent time writing up a bunch of fake texts and loaded it with stalker photos of Joss and Cam? I don’t get it.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

All the talk about what the Cassadines were eating makes me wonder whatever the heck happened to Stefan's cook Mrs. Lansberry.

I would recast Molly, sue me. And not even particularly because I think HP isn't decent but she/the character has just languished for so long, if they were serious about using her I feel like a fresh start would be the way to go.

• Love 1