Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I'm shocked Michael and Willow didn't end up at Charlie's and see Nina and Sonny dancing. One more thing Michael can rail about.

You and me both. I was expecting Michael to kick the door and start beating his chest.

Also, apparently Charlie's is dead between 12 and happy hour? Since when? The place was never empty when Julian was running it. Did Phyllis eighty-six the avocado toast, or something?

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

not enough Spencer and Esme today, too much wasted on Michael/Willow and Curtis 

I haven't been liking Nina's hair, and with the flashback today I realize it is much better longer. It's in the blah zone right now.  Ava is due for a haircut today, she was slightly short of fab. And I can say that because I got my hair today so am looking FAB (haha for 1 day)

1 hour ago, mostlylurking said:

Ok I’m not made of stone - I enjoyed the little dance scene with Nina and Sonny.

I didn't hate it, just hated the set up. aren't 45's usually older songs, that song Sonny pulled up on his phone was what??

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, YaddaYadda said:

BTW, what is it with that 180 Laura has made with Esme? What? All it took was a spotless bathroom? Did the detergent eat her brain or something?

I hate when they make Laura dumb. She should be more suspicious, not less. Esme is not subtle.

• Love 14
Just now, YaddaYadda said:

BTW, what is it with that 180 Laura has made with Esme? What? All it took was a spotless bathroom? Did the detergent eat her brain or something?

Haha! Some people are incredibly moved when someone else cleans (especially the bathroom).

Seriously, Laura's about-face seems too convenient. Here's a woman who lived half her life hiding or being on the run, knows criminals, con men, and super villains, and pretty reasonably should be suspicious of a lot of people, yet she dismisses the many red flags related to Esme (AND can't tell that her subordinate is spying on her). Makes no sense.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, KittyQ said:

Seriously, Laura's about-face seems too convenient. Here's a woman who lived half her life hiding or being on the run, knows criminals, con men, and super villains, and pretty reasonably should be suspicious of a lot of people, yet she dismisses the many red flags related to Esme (AND can't tell that her subordinate is spying on her). Makes no sense.

Sure it does. It's the stoopid writers and Frank, who don't fucking know or RESPECT the history and/or refuse to use the history so they can "make" the narrative they want.

• Love 4

the hell was that argument? Jordan said she did what she did because TJ was held ransom or whatever, and Curtis is pouting that "he's not family" anymore? Which was HIS decision anyway).not to mention Jordan said she'll help him just not in a way that will hurt her career and he has a hissy fit?

(and again, i have to say this. if you going to be friends and allow said friends (who happen to be mobsters) in your life and business then you don't really get to play the whole "mah father might be dangerous, oh no!" card. sorry)

speaking of.
... I am liking this version of Sonny. I feel so dirty and nasty. But if being with Nina = this, and Nina can make him.. non mobby and whatever.... i could actually dig it. (It won't erase the years of hate i have for him... but... i won't be screaming shut up at him all the time either). 

Loved  Esme's dress (I almost always like her clothes though). but i am just.... so mad at this storyline that had so much potential. 

• Love 14
4 minutes ago, Daisy said:

the hell was that argument? Jordan said she did what she did because TJ was held ransom or whatever, and Curtis is pouting that "he's not family" anymore? Which was HIS decision anyway).not to mention Jordan said she'll help him just not in a way that will hurt her career and he has a hissy fit?

(and again, i have to say this. if you going to be friends and allow said friends (who happen to be mobsters) in your life and business then you don't really get to play the whole "mah father might be dangerous, oh no!" card. sorry)

So Curtis is hurt because Jordan wants to follow the rule of law? What is the matter with that man? Obviously he's one of those people who believe that the rules only apply to other people and he should be able to break them because he has a "very good reason". 

As you said, if your friends are mobsters, how scary could your father be?

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I don't expect anything from this manbaby. I am going to love the day Portia's secret cracks his face.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I’ve never forgotten that Curtis and Valerie broke up after he stole police files from her and his big reason for divorcing Jordan was that she withheld confidential police business from him. Meanwhile almost all of his friends, male and female, are criminals and ex-cons and he’ll bend over backwards to make excuses for them. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Blackie said:

I haven't been liking Nina's hair, and with the flashback today I realize it is much better longer. It's in the blah zone right now.  Ava is due for a haircut today, she was slightly short of fab. And I can say that because I got my hair today so am looking FAB (haha for 1 day)

I've been thinking this about Willow's hair lately. It's kind of at a boring length, and I really liked her with the short bob because it was different from everyone else's.

• Love 3

For a doctor TJ looking stupid. He should know Marshall is a stranger to him compared to Sonny. TJ and Sonny both should have pointed out Molly is his niece. If this domestic partnership is like marriage, then Sonny and TJ are in-laws.

Esme is going where? Thought she had nothing based on how they write her.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Hide contents

Harmony’s noose tightens She gets jittery when Phyllis brings up her closeness with Nina’s mama, Madeline. Alexis has invited her to live with her but when she show a familiarity with the house, Alexis becomes suspicious. Later, Harmony has a shocking flashback.

She might actually have murdered Neil.

I really hope the spoiler screen is in effect within the quote box -- anyway -- 

Wow! The first part was telegraphed a bit, but the second part is really out of the blue. 

Edited by Auntie Velvet
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

As you said, if your friends are mobsters, how scary could your father be?

which is *insert Daisy Rant #5 here*. you can not have good mobsters and then "bad mobsters." because it's stupid.  Sonny is supposed to be okay because he doesn't push drugs or weapons but then what is he a mobster of that he needs territory, and all these goons and body guards for? vitamin c tablets?  and your father (who is clearly sus in something) tells you exactly what Sonny is which is true - and you are like NO Sonny' good. but then freak out because he might have a past that COULD hurt portia. WHILE YOU ARE FRIENDS WITH PEOPLE WHOSE PRESENT + FUTURE COULD HURT PORTIA.

he just doesn't want to trust/believe Hatman. which is fine. but using his criminal past as a reason is dumbo. Curtis legit dropped several steps in my books

1 hour ago, ffwbe said:

I’ve never forgotten that Curtis and Valerie broke up after he stole police files from her and his big reason for divorcing Jordan was that she withheld confidential police business from him. Meanwhile almost all of his friends, male and female, are criminals and ex-cons and he’ll bend over backwards to make excuses for them. 

yeah.. Curtis needs a cup of STFU 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

I don't expect anything from this manbaby. I am going to love the day Portia's secret cracks his face.

Oh no! Can you share the secret? Must have missed that.

Or it is a spoiler?

Thanks

4 minutes ago, Mirabelle said:

I assume they mean Trina's paternity. There have been heavy hints Curtis is her biological father. 

I hope they drop that. It’s too similar to the one with TJ and there was no big SL that stemmed from that and it really changed nothing with the relationship dynamics. 

• Love 7

Not sure how it works in Port Charles (completely different from the real world, I imagine), but where I work once a case is sealed all the charges, dispositions, and docketing disappears. I’m not sure what happens to the actual physical file, but since this seems to be a really old case, I would imagine that’s been destroyed. 

• Useful 1
22 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I hope they drop that. It’s too similar to the one with TJ and there was no big SL that stemmed from that and it really changed nothing with the relationship dynamics. 

I could swear the bulk of the drama with Jordan's husband's family only played out with Will's Mom after Shawn was in prison, lol. None of that meant anything because there is zero full investment in these Black characters. The Trina thing is equally pointless and also devalues Taggert, a longtime character.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, ffwbe said:

The inclusion of that particular flashback with the dialogue yesterday was something. Funny how they made Liz look like the instigator when the actual scene was Carly barging into Liz’s house uninvited, ordering Liz’s children out of the room so she could rail at her over the fact that Jason didn’t confide in her that he was Jake’s father. Carly was full on bunny boiler mode that entire year. 

I thought the same thing. I wanted to give them a little leeway on it because there aren't that many scenes of Liz/Carly hostility with Laura Wright in the role (most of their feud was in the Sarah Brown years).  

But honestly, having Carly say no more than "There are times I could have taken the high road and I didn't"? That makes it sound as though Liz was always tormenting Carly, and Carly just responded in kind. Carly always was the aggressor. Even the time Liz said "Sonny lost a baby; you lost a meal ticket," it was after Carly showed up at Kelly's and got in her face while she was working.  

I just looked to see who wrote Wednesday's episode, playing a hunch, and...yep, Elizabeth "Carly Fan 4-Evah" Korte. Mystery solved.

• Love 7

Can I join y’all at the Nina+Sonny table? I find him a lot more... tolerable and almost charming when he’s with her.  Maybe there can be a whole storyline where she convinces him to leave the mob, even if temporarily.  He can sell his sauce or something lol

Esme had better be faking this pregnancy scare - too many babies!  Maybe Victor’s next ‘evil’ plot can involve sterilizing the citizens of Port Charles.

ETA: I hope that Harmony spoiler isn’t true, and that she’s moving in so poor Alexis can finally get laid again

Edited by Kiki777
Because
  • Love 12
8 hours ago, ffwbe said:

The thing with TJ's paternity is that all the drama played out off screen what with Tommy being killed by Shawn as the culminating point of this story. The most interesting stuff happened with a character who was never on canvas, which is such a GH thing to do.

I wasn't into Trina's paternity change because I was pleasantly shocked at who her father is. But Curtis has been such a hypocrite and so unpleasant with Jordan about her withholding work information and divorcing her over her work secrets. It's not like Jordan was lying to him about having a secret child.

A more reasonable and honest thing to do would have been to split them up over he and Jordan wanting different things. He wanted children, she didn't. That was a conflict between them for a hot second.

Of course, him gaining a daughter like Trina will suck because he absolutely doesn't deserve her. 

Curtis has turned into a total douche.

• Love 15
25 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

Can I join y’all at the Nina+Sonny table? I find him a lot more... tolerable and almost charming when he’s with her.  Maybe there can be a whole storyline where she convinces him to leave the mob, even if temporarily.  He can sell his sauce or something lol

Benard has always been one of the easiest people in daytime to read re: his feelings about other actors. It's apparent to me that he adores Cynthia Watros and likes sharing scenes with her, and I think it may have caught him by surprise. 

There probably would have been Ninny sooner if the characters had had more reason to cross paths in the two years between her taking over Nina and the start of the "Mike" saga.

• Love 13

Sonny definitely had an upgrade, in both his grooming (his hair and facial hair both look great) and his wardrobe.  I also find him much easier to take with Nina than I did with Carly.  A lot of fans hate Nina, because she wrecked a marriage or something.  As if that marriage hasn't been wrecked many times over the years.  IMO they would do well to leave Carson in the dustbin, but that couple has a lot of very loud fans, so I expect they will eventually reunite.  I will go back to fast-forwarding when they do.   I don't know how it came to be that I simply cannot tolerate the female lead of this show, it's unusual for me.  But I simply cannot tolerate her, and now that they are heading towards pairing her with Drew, he too will become FF material for me.  A shame, because I loved him his first few months.  Oh well.   She eats the show, but I still find enough stories I really enjoy to stick with watching.  Never live.  I could not tolerate her if I watched live and couldn't ff. 

• Love 15
10 hours ago, ffwbe said:
10 hours ago, Mirabelle said:

I assume they mean Trina's paternity. There have been heavy hints Curtis is her biological father. 

WTD is another well the show goes to way too often, and it rarely follows through in any meaningful fashion, as usual.

1 hour ago, CeChase said:

(his hair and facial hair both look great) and his wardrobe

I noticed about much better his hair looks now, too. I think it's because it's shorter? And I like that Mo is letting the gray sneak in. I've always thought his wardrobe was one of the best on the show. As I've mentioned before, whatever Sonny's faults, bad tailoring isn't one of them (save for his velour tracksuit period).

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, CeChase said:

A lot of fans hate Nina, because she wrecked a marriage or something.  As if that marriage hasn't been wrecked many times over the years. 

I'm not a fan of marriage wrecking IRL, but this is a soap we're watching after all.  I like Sonny and Nina.  I think Carly's best pairing to date has been Jax because he grounded her a bit and told her the truth about herself.  She needs someone with a higher moral base than her (literally anyoen on the show besides Sonny and probably Cyrus) AND who won't let her steamroll all over him.  

• Love 14
2 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

The thing with TJ's paternity is that all the drama played out off screen what with Tommy being killed by Shawn as the culminating point of this story. The most interesting stuff happened with a character who was never on canvas, which is such a GH thing to do.

I wasn't into Trina's paternity change because I was pleasantly shocked at who her father is. But Curtis has been such a hypocrite and so unpleasant with Jordan about her withholding work information and divorcing her over her work secrets. It's not like Jordan was lying to him about having a secret child.

A more reasonable and honest thing to do would have been to split them up over he and Jordan wanting different things. He wanted children, she didn't. That was a conflict between them for a hot second.

Of course, him gaining a daughter like Trina will suck because he absolutely doesn't deserve her. 

Curtis has turned into a total douche.

I want Taggert to remain Trina's father because I always appreciated how much he hated the mob and I like the idea of his one child being awesome while Sonny's many progeny, stepchildren and grandchildren included, have the appeal of bird droppings on a freshly washed car. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

having Carly say no more than "There are times I could have taken the high road and I didn't"? That makes it sound as though Liz was always tormenting Carly, and Carly just responded in kind. Carly always was the aggressor.

With everyone.  She's never just hitting back or defending herself.  What a ridiculous way of framing all her wrongdoings.  

3 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

Can I join y’all at the Nina+Sonny table? I find him a lot more... tolerable and almost charming when he’s with her.  

Yeah, I don't think I'll ever *love* Sonny, but the version of Sonny that's with Nina is far better than any Sonny we've had in the last decade, at least.

Previews: Joss yelling at Cam.  Run, kid, run.

• Love 10

I still believe that someone finally realized that Carly being the ultimate guy’s girl, “I’m not like the other girls and can’t be friends with them because xyz” is gross but instead of acknowledging that and having her grow, they want to ignore it and pretend that she’s been anything but. There was a period where the writing was so male centered that the “favored” women were written as the ultimate misogynists and Carly was at the epicenter of it. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Mirabelle said:

I want Taggert to remain Trina's father because I always appreciated how much he hated the mob and I like the idea of his one child being awesome while Sonny's many progeny, stepchildren and grandchildren included, have the appeal of bird droppings on a freshly washed car. 

The problem is that Taggert's problem with the mob is a thing of the past now. I'm a huge proponent of biology doesn't change the love that people have for each other. So we'll see how things go. I'm just in a super Curtis hating place.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I'm not a fan of marriage wrecking IRL, but this is a soap we're watching after all.  I like Sonny and Nina.  I think Carly's best pairing to date has been Jax because he grounded her a bit and told her the truth about herself.  She needs someone with a higher moral base than her (literally anyoen on the show besides Sonny and probably Cyrus) AND who won't let her steamroll all over him.  

Carly and Jax were my favourite too mostly because of what you said. but that pairing died the day her husband told her he was raped and she told Jason and the two of the had the nerve to laugh about it "because who ever heard of something like that?" fast-forward a few years later when her son got raped and how that was soo horrible.

45 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I still believe that someone finally realized that Carly being the ultimate guy’s girl, “I’m not like the other girls and can’t be friends with them because xyz” is gross

i am not sure i get what you mean here. - do you mind explaining this?  because for me, I have more guy friends than girlfriends, so i'm not sure why it's gross? (unless you are saying that 9x10 she wasn't friends with them because they were dating the guy she wanted or previously had?)

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

The problem is that Taggert's problem with the mob is a thing of the past now.

That can always be undone with most characters.

Curtis got so wooden since 2015. I think the passion is gone for DT. He delivers his lines like an Epcot greeter now.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
7 minutes ago, Daisy said:

i am not sure i get what you mean here. - do you mind explaining this?  because for me, I have more guy friends than girlfriends, so i'm not sure why it's gross? (unless you are saying that 9x10 she wasn't friends with them because they were dating the guy she wanted or previously had?)

I meant more that Carly thought herself as better than other women and couldn’t be friends with them because she viewed everyone as competition. I always found that gross and the writing made it seem like we were supposed to cheer her on when she constantly tore down other women. Even when she wasn’t with the guy, she wanted them to prioritize her over their current LOs, children, etc. 

There’s other character who historically had more male friends than female friends on this show and they weren’t portrayed the same way. Alexis is a good example of someone whose always had more male friends but could get along with most women as well. 

• Love 8

I dislike the idea of a Trina paternity story because of the grounded relationship she and Portia have. And not looking forward to seeing Curtis treat Portia like he did/does Jordan. Also, Hatman would have more reason to stay. No thanks.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

Yay, OG Taggert is back! Also, first day of nuTrina, whose baby voice already drives me nuts. Use your lower register! She's also too tentative, but maybe that's first-day nerves. 

Of course Joss makes the tape all about her, and Cam's concerns couldn't at all compare to hers. Shut up, Joss.

And seriously, Victor. Why not talk in front of Ava? Nik is going to tell her everything anyway.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
24 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Of course Joss makes the tape all about her, and Cam's concerns couldn't at all compare to hers. Shut up, Joss.

Cameron Webber deserves so much more than Josslyn John Jacks. 

• Love 17
28 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

irst day of nuTrina, whose baby voice already drives me nuts.

yes voice not good. She kid of reminds me of the actor who plays Deja on This Is Us, like they could be sisters. I will have to look that up.

I guess all that "didn't you get my text" will come in to play.

Instead of a son/daughter is Spencer going to get a bother/sister???

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Katy M said:

I feel like some members of the audience must over-relate to the idea of the other woman.  I get it, I just don't share it, and like you said it's not real life.  

4 hours ago, ffwbe said:

I still believe that someone finally realized that Carly being the ultimate guy’s girl, “I’m not like the other girls and can’t be friends with them because xyz” is gross but instead of acknowledging that and having her grow, they want to ignore it and pretend that she’s been anything but. There was a period where the writing was so male centered that the “favored” women were written as the ultimate misogynists and Carly was at the epicenter of it. 

This is an excellent observation.  

• Love 1

I feel for new Trina actress. I think we can all relate in some way. 

So hard to come into a role so well played and so beloved. Huge shoes to fill.

Sydney just lit up the screen.

• Love 6

Two days ago we had Liz telling Carly how wonderful she is and the mistakes were Liz's own. Now we have Trina telling Joss how she never should have doubted her for calling out Esme. When characters are always told how wonderful they are, it makes the show very boring. Especially when what we see on the screen is the opposite.

Joss has zero empathy for Cam. Not is only does all the hurt from the video hers, she says that Esme was against her and Trina, not Cam.

NuTrina is okay but rather weak as a character. She's definitely not going to challenge Joss as the star of the teen set whereas SM did even when the storyline wasn't supporting her. Maybe that's the point. :-(

NC did good work as Spencer today.  I regret how the show is going to throw Esme to the wolves because there is the potential for good scenes between the characters.

I have zero interest in Curtis/Sonny/Hatman. Slept through Taggert and Portia today too.

I guess that Avery is living with Ava these days.

6 hours ago, Katy M said:

I think Carly's best pairing to date has been Jax because he grounded her a bit and told her the truth about herself.  She needs someone with a higher moral base than her (literally anyoen on the show besides Sonny and probably Cyrus) AND who won't let her steamroll all over him.  

Dew has a higher moral base in theory, and BM's Drew had, but this Drew is not letting Carly steamroll over him,  It does Carly as a character no favours.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 4

OMG, the show had Sonny actually learn something and apply it to an appropriate example! Good for him for not helping Curtis.

2 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I regret how the show is going to throw Esme to the wolves because there is the potential for good scenes between the characters.

Once they gave her the pregnancy test, throwing her to the wolves can't happen soon enough. I don't care that it's probably not going to happen, I don't want baby scares anymore than I want babies. Especially because it's an insulting, misogynistic tactic for the show to take. Not that that's a shock.

4 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

this Drew is not letting Carly steamroll over him

He is, though. He doesn't have to tell her anything about the Plot Against Victor—and in fact she shouldn't be involved—but he does. 

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

He is, though. He doesn't have to tell her anything about the Plot Against Victor—and in fact she shouldn't be involved—but he does. 

Slip of my keyboard -- corrected now.

This Drew makes a doormat look strong.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Blackie said:

She kid of reminds me of the actor who plays Deja on This Is Us, like they could be sisters. I will have to look that up.

Thank you - that's who she reminded me of. I couldn't quite place it.

1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

NuTrina is okay but rather weak as a character.

I remember when NC came on as Spencer and at first I thought he seemed too old and wasn't sure about his acting but now he is the most compelling actor on the show now👇 👇

1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

NC did good work as Spencer today.

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

OMG, the show had Sonny actually learn something and apply it to an appropriate example! Good for him for not helping Curtis.

So what is Hat's meds? Is he bipolar too (I would think that is the only med Sonny would know) so is that why Sonny sympathetic?

1 hour ago, seasons said:

So hard to come into a role so well played and so beloved. Huge shoes to fill

I wanted to rearrange my quotes but couldn't do it but this went with my point above. I hope this actress rises to the occasion and can meet Spence and Esme AND hopefully they get some good writing.

Edited by Blackie
grammer and spacing
  • Love 10
25 minutes ago, Blackie said:

So what is Hat's meds? Is he bipolar too (I would think that is the only med Sonny would know) so is that why Sonny sympathetic?

He told the desk nurse he needed his heart meds tweaked. If it's something common, I can see Sonny recognizing the drug. I also think Sonny decided not to pick a fight with a sick man, which is another step forward for him.

• Love 1