Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Linny said:

I'm so over Nelle (and was never into her at all, frankly), but even I'll admit that her black widow entrance was pretty damn fantastic. Credit to Chloe Lanier, she makes the most of the material she's given, and this might turn out to be more fun than I expected.

Yeah, I've never cared Nelle at all, not even when she was scheming against Carly but this is finally a plot turn that intrigues me a bit.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 4

This show is definitely getting better with the cliff hangers.  Someone has realized that there is more than just thinking about what Sonny is going to do next. I like Nelle in small doses to shake things up.

While I'm impressed that GH is jumping on the 3P partnership idea, I've never heard of one that worked.  I'll be shocked if this ELQ story either deposes Michael or causes Sonny to draw back.

Given how freely Sonny conducts his illegal enterprises while everyone looks the other way, I'm surprised GH is actually doing an ethics storyline.

41 minutes ago, ciarra said:

Am I supposed to feel bad for Neal?  (Actually I was surprised to see him because I forgot he was on this show.)   I would think he would be aware of the ethics problem.  I would also think that it would take longer to revoke his license. 

His license shouldn't have been revoked yet but the hearing is scheduled and he seems to assume that it's a done deal that he's going to lose it.

Neil should have known but the development of professional ethics is on-going.  It wasn't until the mid-70s that it became wrong to sleep with a current patient. I remember one psychologist in the 90s who slept with a patient while treating her, was found out and stopped treating her but continued to sleep with her and suffered no consequences in the US.

The show is pretty much making this up as they go along. The UK allows doctors to have relationships with former patients. The same with the College of Physicians and Surgeons in Ontario although they warn psychiatrists to be careful or the ethics. However, psychologists are prevented from having a relationship with a former patient for 2 years.

OK, Nelle is Shiloh's widow. And the ethically fluid Colonel Tad Sanders is her lawyer. And Tracy has revealed that someone ethically fluid seems to be coming after the Q's. This could get interesting. (before, I hope,  it's revealed that Wiley is not SLS's son and Nell goes down in flames.)

28 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Ohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease let Wiley be Shiloh's spawn! 

Doubtful, since the show made a point of them meeting while they were both prisoners in Pentonville. If they want to retcon Wiley's paternity, it will most likely be that she had a ONS with someone fairly random (that Floating Rib bartender who liked Maxie, for example) when she was on the outs with Michael over something.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
36 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I've been asking for this for months.  Years.  Even if it makes no sense for Nelle to be "withholding" a child that isn't really Michael's. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Doubtful, since the show made a point of them meeting while they were both prisoners in Pentonville. If they want to retcon Wiley's paternity, it will most likely be that she had a ONS with someone fairly random (that Floating Rib bartender who liked Maxie, for example) when she was on the outs with Michael over something.

DAMN!

giphy.gif

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, ciarra said:

I've been asking for this for months.  Years.  Even if it makes no sense for Nelle to be "withholding" a child that isn't really Michael's. 

She was still planning on using the child to get back together with Michael until she heard that Michael had moved on the a Wonderful! new girlfriend who had Carly's full approval and who was holding Wiley in the picture Carly sent to Michael.

Maybe she still is.

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

They'll never retcon that kid to not be Michael's.  The show is married to the idea of spitting out Corinthii like candy from a pez dispenser.

• LOL 9
41 minutes ago, Benji said:

How/why is Nelle out of jail ?

We don't know yet, but I'm really hoping it's not an overcrowding issue like Sam and Harmony since her crime was much worse.  Until we know for sure, I'll fanwanking that she asked for a day trip to the memorial  and her guard was in the room.  

Can I just say how much I adore Chloe Lanier.  I recognized her voice before she took the giant hat off, but still, when she took it off and had that huge grin on her face with the "Shiloh was my husband".  I laughed so hard.  Then both Michael and Jason gulping made me laugh even harder.

Why exactly did the PCPD call Laura and Ned?  Lulu and Brooklyn are adults, their parents shouldn't be called in to deal with them.  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, perkie1968 said:

We don't know yet, but I'm really hoping it's not an overcrowding issue like Sam and Harmony since her crime was much worse. 

Sam isn't out due to overcrowding. She had the Borg ask Ned to call in a favor to let her out on "early" parole for...reasons. When she had barely started her sentence. Harmony, however, was let out due to overcrowding.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Bringonthedrama said:

I assume Neil and Alexis will get a bit serious before long,

I think it's the opposite.  I think this is the end for them to pave the way back to Julexis now that Julian is single again.  

Maye I'm alone at the table but I was feeling some serious chemistry between Alexis and Neil today and totally wanted him to say to hell with it and have them get passionate together.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Bringonthedrama said:
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

That's easy enough to retcon if they want to. Make it that Nelle didn't recognize Shiloh at the Floating Rib or Kelly's or wherever, they had a ONS, and when she saw him again in Pentonville, she realized who he was and started that scam. She told Michael the baby was his because she wanted to keep him. It's not perfect, but it's good enough for me!

34 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Why exactly did the PCPD call Laura and Ned?  Lulu and Brooklyn are adults, their parents shouldn't be called in to deal with them.  

(bolding mine) SUPPOSEDLY. ™Silas Clay forever.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:
27 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Sam isn't out due to overcrowding.

You're right, my bad!

Speaking of, didn't Robert only agree to recommend a new parole officer for Sam (who wasn't "biased against Jason" insert eyeroll) and not "he agreed to get my parole reduced" as the Snoozer claimed yesterday?  

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Speaking of, didn't Robert only agree to recommend a new parole officer for Sam (who wasn't "biased against Jason" insert eyeroll) and not "he agreed to get my parole reduced" as the Snoozer claimed yesterday?  

That's right. He said AFTER/IF Borg could give him ACTUAL Proof of Henrik's guilty, he would try to get a different parole officer. I'm hoping he was lying. Or that he would get one just like Delores!

And "reduced parole" whatever the fuck that means, doesn't mean that Sam STILL won't have to report to a parole officer! GOD! The Stupid. IT BURRRRNS.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4

JE is so great.  I know she's retired but I hope she will come back once or twice a year to shakes things up.

Looks like Brook Lynn got a chem test with Chase and Dustin.  Thus far, I feel like she only sparked off Julian.  It's too bad, because I think she and Chase could be fun together.

I wish Nell and DOD would just leave the show altogether.  Preferably with Sonny in tow.

• Love 3

I think Burton is more expressive than generally thought but today when Nelle walked in the room, nothing. 

Chase and Willow are okay but it's way too soon for them to settle down, so I'm cool with a break-up. They can get together again later (unless dating Michael doesn't turn out so well for her.)

15 minutes ago, ulkis said:

unless dating Michael doesn't turn out so well for her

Who has it turned out well for? He's got a string of dead women in his past, and those that aren't dead are in jail or had to flee PC. I wouldn't be too anxious to date this guy.

Oh, Chase, you magical merman. Jason will tell you something about the hijacked truck when he learns how to parent, i.e., never. But keep on hoping!

4 hours ago, Linny said:

The fracas at The Floating Rib had me dying today, in a good way. I lost it when Lulu assisted "Dusty" by whacking the sleaze with the pool rack and then it got even better with Brooke deciding fuck it, let's crack some bottles and some skulls. Everyone involved absolutely should not have let things escalate to that level and they deserve their arrests, but still, as a visual, that scene was a chaotic delight. And poor Chase, once again stumbling into the wrong place at the wrong time and taking a blow to the head, bless him.

I guess with Dante gone, Chase is the only detective on the PCPD now, so he has to handle everything?

4 hours ago, Linny said:

her black widow entrance was pretty damn fantastic

Her outfit was hilariously melodramatic. It's too bad they had her speak first, because her voice was recognizable. Someone should have introduced her as Shiloh's widow, and then she removes the glorious hat and veil to reveal herself.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Who has it turned out well for? He's got a string of dead women in his past, and those that aren't dead are in jail or had to flee PC. I wouldn't be too anxious to date this guy.

That's what I meant. As @HeatLifer once said, a mob boss' son with a bunch of killed girlfriends? They'd be investigating this guy.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

They'll never retcon that kid to not be Michael's.  The show is married to the idea of spitting out Corinthii like candy from a pez dispenser.

But Wyley is technically a Quartermain and AJ's grandson  at that and   the show  loves nothing  more than spitting on AJ and getting rid of Q's

Edited by hcs

Hesitantly exited the barge after half a decade to check a few episodes in a row.  I see that as usual, the show has several talented actors and a bunch of potential, which doesn't really matter BC it's primary purpose is as a playpen for Maurice and Steve's tough guy fanfic fantasies.  

Some random people I noticed and appreciated though: Tristan Rodgers is awesome.  The guy just radiates the roguish charm and charisma that the aforementioned twerps clearly wish they had. .  I've always thought the show made a huge mistake not making him the lead, even over Geary.  The crazy thing is...they could do so right now, 2020,  and be the better for it.

Kind of the same for Jane Elliot.  She looks incredible, and what's actually way more impressive to me is how she ACTS.  She's so alive, and energetic in every scene she's in.   You just want to watch every line she speaks because of how powerful a presence she is.  

It's also great still seeing FH, Maura West, and GF somehow still on here.  Again, they make me watch just to see them in these usually ridiculous stories.

I really don't care about Michael's stupid kid storyline, except that how can it possibly still be dragging on?  Do they think that 's supposed to make it extra heartwarming when he and his precious fake family get everything they want, as usual? 

• Love 1

That's why Michael's girlfriends die and other horrible stuff.  The writers are trying to ride that line between Corinthos always win and Quartermaines always lose,  Michael is doomed to be unkillable, but bad shit will happen to him.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, ulkis said:

That's what I meant. As @HeatLifer once said, a mob boss' son with a bunch of killed girlfriends? They'd be investigating this guy.

Let's see:

•  Abby the stripper killed by a crane in another state while talking to Michael
  • Starr leaves town mysteriously not knowing  a doppelgänger shows up later who friends call her Kiki
  • Kiki killed by a serial killer a few years after they broke up
  • Sabrina killed by another serial killer after she left him to marry her old boyfriend
  • Penny and Rosalie were each basically one night stands because of Kiki
  • Nelle batshit crazy and a killer to boot
  • Sasha so far....still not dead 
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, Linny said:

The fracas at The Floating Rib had me dying today, in a good way. I lost it when Lulu assisted "Dusty" by whacking the sleaze with the pool rack and then it got even better with Brooke deciding fuck it, let's crack some bottles and some skulls. Everyone involved absolutely should not have let things escalate to that level and they deserve their arrests, but still, as a visual, that scene was a chaotic delight. And poor Chase, once again stumbling into the wrong place at the wrong time and taking a blow to the head, bless him.

It was fun, and I thought I saw chemistry with Chase and Brook. It helps that the ten minutes I've seen of Willow did not wow me and I therefore have no investment in Chase and Willow. I did like those scenes today. But I guess I'm wondering what the point of Brook's manager is, unless Julian helps Brook with him and she's so grateful they.....go there.

Julian quite honestly has always made my skin crawl. So I hope they don't, but they ain't asking me.

• Love 4

Julian has never been my favorite character and I only like this scenes with Ava these days. I can’t get into him and BL even if the actors have chemistry because I could only see it being played for Ned and Olivia’s reactions, not a lasting relationship. The show has no problem with making Julian the town punching bag (which is only set to get worse when the baby Wiley secret comes out) and they seem to want to make BL happen right now so a relationship with him seems like a weird direction to take.

I think it’s more of an issue with the show that they don’t really have anyone else to pair her with at this time unless they start splitting some couples up or add some more 20 and 30 something actors.

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I think it’s more of an issue with the show that they don’t really have anyone else to pair her with at this time unless they start splitting some couples up or add some more 20 and 30 something actors.

Yeah, but with Julian ? *shudders*   

I don't want to see that.  

• Love 2

I wouldn't mind if Brook Lynn did her thing and broke up Michael and Sasha. Chiefly because I don't like either Michael or Sasha.

7 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

I was feeling some serious chemistry between Alexis and Neil today and totally wanted him to say to hell with it and have them get passionate together.  

I'm hoping that this will be a slow burn relationship with Alexis finding a way to help him keep his medical license. Neil certainly seemed like he was willing to throw ethics to the wind but Alexis was right and surprisingly mature for her, that she didn't want him to regret giving up his profession for her.

I feel like the ship has sailed on Julexis and should be slipping over the horizon by now.

• Love 2

Laura multi-tasks in a visit to the police commish to say she wants to clean up crime on the waterfront, and make it clear she stands by Nik no matter what crimes he's committed. So far she is not impressing me as mayor. 

9 hours ago, ffwbe said:

I can’t get into him and BL even if the actors have chemistry because I could only see it being played for Ned and Olivia’s reactions, not a lasting relationship.

Not to mention Sonny would be obligated to weigh in. No, thanks. Also, I think Julian is a little old for BL. I don't know how old she's supposed to be, but she's pretty immature. Julian already had a handful (to put it mildly) with Kim. Let's not give him another one just yet.

9 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I wouldn't mind if Brook Lynn did her thing and broke up Michael and Sasha. Chiefly because I don't like either Michael or Sasha.

Same, but again, there's the Sonny connection, and I can't see BL deliberately doing something to provoke him. Michael and Sasha need to break up because they're galactically boring, as every pairing with Michael has been except for Britt and Rosalie (I don't care she was basically a ONS, they were GREAT together). They always put Michael with women he dominates (save for the two mentioned), which dooms the pairing, IMO. Michael needs someone who will push back, not someone who's constantly grateful to be with him.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

No, thanks. Also, I think Julian is a little old for BL. I don't know how old she's supposed to be, but she's pretty immature.

She was born well after Lucas, but that of course, means nothing.

I'm still chuckling at Nelle's over-the-top widow ensemble.  That was actually a good soapy moment, even if the second she spoke it was obvious who it was.  

No, thanks. Also, I think Julian is a little old for BL. I don't know how old she's supposed to be, but she's pretty immature.

She was born well after Lucas, but that of course, means nothing.

Ned and Lois got married in mid-1995 (I remember because it was after Stone was diagnosed with AIDS and he and Robin had a 'mock' wedding ceremony after coming home from N&L's wedding), so I think BL was born in 1996.  Clearly, they've aged her up because there's no way she's only 23/24.  I'd put her late twenties (no idea how old the actress is) at the least.

I thought they were chem-testing Chase and Brooke-- which seems about right-- Chase/Willow have been pretty smooth sailing for most of their relationship. (except in the beginning when it seemed Michael might make a play for her). So it's time they had a few romantic bumps (the Shiloh stuff was basically just external forces rather than relationship trouble).

I'm surprised they're going with an ELQ story-- but I'm curious to see how Michael balances his ELQ job with his Corinthos loyalty on the pier renovations.

And I finally learned how big the Port Charles piers are-- 1-26 are legit-- 27 and upwards are for criminals. (I've heard the numbers go as high as 42-- that's the pier where everyone gets murdered, right?)

(ahh, I see, based on comments-- Pier 52, not 42, is the murder spot)

Edited by sacrebleu
incorporating poster feedback
  • LOL 2

Unless they de-aged BL from her last return, I’d put her at early to mid 30s since she was supposed to be the same age as Lucas and Maxie. But they have her acting extremely immature so maybe she’s supposed to be younger now.

Brooke and Chase might be interesting since the Chase/Willow/Sasha/Michael quad is boring. Michael is a dud and everyone in the group is “good” so there isn’t anything there for me. They probably should have left Sasha as a schemer. Inserting Brooke might be a interesting change, especially if they still plan on doing anything with Michael and Willow. Chase doesn’t have a lot of other options if him and Willow split 

Edited by ffwbe
  • Love 1

I find the actor who plays Michael seems to be fine -- he's good enough, the right age, and (for me) works well with the other ensemble around him (Carly and Sonny and Jason).  I've missed most of his actual love affairs and child production, but it's amazing to me that he can't create chemistry with a single actress.  Not a single one.  Willow was Trying So Hard in one episode, I thought her lower lip was going to fall off from "sexy pouting".  But, fizzle.

That's too bad because that character needs to be primed to take over when Sonny is back-burnered 100 years from now.  (Think Monica, Allan, Rick, the crazy blonde from that era, and all those other hotties from yesteryears.  It's simply a fact that time will march on Benard and Sonny will be passe eventually).  But, to do that, the actor playing Michael has to be able to create a family dynasty -- and to do that, he needs charisma.  He seems to have it competently enough with everyone but Every.  Single.  Woman.  They.  Have.  Paired.  Him.  With.

Edited by Captanne
ETA: "Crazy Blonde" was Heather.
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Captanne said:

I find the actor who plays Michael seems to be fine -- he's good enough, the right age, and (for me) works well with the other ensemble around him (Carly and Sonny and Jason).  I've missed most of his actual love affairs and child production, but it's amazing to me that he can't create chemistry with a single actress.  Not a single one. 

Now imagine literally ten years of this.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3

They can have an actor who is good at being a supporter to Sonny, Carly and Jason. Or they can have one who has the dynamism to spearhead the next generation, who has the power to go tow to toe against Sonny and show his strength. One can't do both at the same time.

MB and SBu have to loosen their control of the showing they want it to survive longterm.

• Love 1

I am loving the Quartermaine-centric storyline going on now.    How I have missed the Qs!!  Tracy!  Ned!  The occasional Monica sighting.   Even Brook Lynn, though she's basically a stranger.   She does have her granny's spunk, though.   The whole  ELQ stock thing is even interesting, with Nelle / "Wylie" about to shake things up.   And I'd love to know what Tracy's got up her sleeve, because she has to have something.  Because Tracy.

• Love 3

UGH Carly. The glee in thinking that the Nikolas-Ava situation "won't end well" is so gross. If she cares sooo much about Avery, why is she hyper at the idea of Ava breaking the news of her marriage to Avery? It's certainly going to shock the little girl and maybe upset her.

"It speaks." LMAO that Nelle said re: Jason what I'm sure others have wondered. The "saved the public from Ryan" angle is a variation of Sonny getting out of prison because of the bomb grabbing/saving someone plot point except that Nelle and Ryan orchestrated their moment. 

I will guess that Dustin's words about keeping"wrecking ball" Brook in his past means a Brook/Dustin/Lulu triangle is in the works. Brook acts like a bratty, daddy-dependent teenager so I can't fathom any kind of vibe between her and Chase in the future.

"I wish I could trust you," Good for Laura. Her eldest child should feel ashamed that she had to say that. Ava's behavior with him is too funny, Nelle talking about Shiloh today was reminding me of Ava re: Nik. 

Hey Michael, just a thought - you might want to turn to Tracy for help because she alone (if still written in character!) is better equipped to deal with Nelle scheming about Shiloh's ELQ shares than the other living Qs combined. 

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

They can have an actor who is good at being a supporter to Sonny, Carly and Jason. Or they can have one who has the dynamism to spearhead the next generation, who has the power to go tow to toe against Sonny and show his strength. One can't do both at the same time.

MB and SBu have to loosen their control of the showing they want it to survive longterm.

I don't think Steve has had any input ever since he's returned. Seriously. At least, there is no way he would stomp his feet over Chad if they let him go. MB yes but that would have nothing to do with CD being lame, but because they're friends.

I think it doesn't occur to them to recast Michael because CD has been there this long now.

Edited by ulkis
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

It feels SO GOOD to see so much focus on the Quartermaines and ELQ, both of which in recent memory have been unfairly treated as nebulous entities with little definition. Tracy's prickly, dominant personality is the perfect counterpoint to human shrug-emoji Michael, and I'm liking Brook Lynn's gumption, too. Despite how spoiled she is there's a fire about her, and the show needs that kind of spirit.

Nikolas being so standoffish, "we don't share a bed" or anything else towards Ava has me convinced it'll be a month, tops, before they're having hot sex in the halls of Wyndemere. Meanwhile, do please go on arguing over islands and shark-infested water. Also, the "guess what, I'm not dead!" conversation between father and son would be traumatic whether on the phone or in person, but since we're talking about seasoned Spencer, I'm not too concerned. He's going to rebound and immediately start plotting against Valentin just like his father, I'm sure of it.

Nelle snarking about Jason makes twice this week characters have mocked his wooden demeanor, and it's only Wednesday, hee! Excellent trend, hope it continues.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Linny said:

Also, the "guess what, I'm not dead!" conversation between father and son would be traumatic whether on the phone or in person, but since we're talking about seasoned Spencer, I'm not too concerned. He's going to rebound and immediately start plotting against Valentin just like his father, I'm sure of it.

The whole concept of this conversation reminds me of an old episode of The Simpsons - they’re watching a soap where someone does come back, one character is like oh Bob we thought you were dead and he’s all goofy and cross-eyed saying I WAS!!

Then I imagine the same exchange between Nik and Spencer 🤣😂🤣

• LOL 1