Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

Michael tells Jason that he kissed a girl and didn't get her cooties. Willow tells a sleeping baby that she kissed a boy and didn't get cooties. Then they passed notes in Math class to meet up after Geography class behind the gym. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzz

• LOL 15
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, xfuse said:

They find the necklace and Nina realizes that Nelle was her daughter and now she's dead. She will be so full of anguish. But really Nelle got the necklace because Willow's mother gave it to Shiloh because he wanted an important secret from her. She never told Willow she's adopted. Nelle just found it in his effects after he died and Willow didn't even know it about it.     

I'm pretty sure Nelle was wearing the necklace in that all about Carly Benson flashback episode when she meets 6 year old Nelle.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I’m hoping Neil’s death will lead to some kind of real story or material for Alexis. I thought she did a great job today. I like the character but she’s been so weirdly stagnant for the last few years. Her only storylines have been this non-relationship and a couple months of Keifer’s sister trying to kill her. I’m amazed NLG is still on contract at this point. 

Edited by ffwbe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9

NLG is in her sixties, there's not a lot of roles for women of that age who aren't Meryl Streep. I can understand why she stays on this show.

3 hours ago, ByaNose said:

How about Neil & Alexis as a fun Jonathan & Jennifer Hart (I may be dating myself) fun couple who go around solving mysteries in between their love of the theater?! WTF? Everything else is gloom and doom on this show. How about a little fun Valentini? Such a waste.

This X 1000.  Why can't I ever have fun things on this show?

Meanwhile, Sonny and the endless Mike dying story (he couldn't even take time to chase after Nelle and Wylie), and the bad virginal Harlequin story of Willow and Michael. I understand why people want Willow to be Nina's daughter and not Nelle but #@$##, Willow has been completely erased of any personality since she got together with Michael.  They're not even trying to make it a quad with Chase and Sasha any more. Making her Nina's daughter would complete putting the whiteout on her. The actress deserves better.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

Michael tells Jason that he kissed a girl and didn't get her cooties. Willow tells a sleeping baby that she kissed a boy and didn't get cooties. Then they passed notes in Math class to meet up after Geography class behind the gym. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzz

At least Michael doesn't sparkle. If He did, we'd have "Port Charles" all over again, only it would be the "Twilight" version. Kudos to the people saying Willow's red "Like a Virgin" dress was like something out of the "Stepford Wives." Great minds think alike! Agree that Michael and Willow are the GH equivalent of watching paint dry. In closing, I'd just like to say that, if Michael and Willow's smoosh name is  "Millow", my name for them is now "Mildew." (And yes, I'm FURIOUS that Neil was killed off. <Hits GH with rolled up newspaper> "Bad show! Bad, Bad show!!" Poor Alexis. She just can't have nice men. Oh, well. Back to weak ol' Julian, I guess....to be in a triangle with Britt, when she comes back to Port Charles, pregnant from her ONS with Jules. Why, yes, I'm calling it, now!) *sighs*

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

This show really sprinkled the "It was only a dream" dust on the wrong person. Why couldn't Carly have been the one who actually was being confronted by a murderous Nelle in the kitchen, with Alexis' tragedy turning out to be the fake-out nightmare? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 17

And then they sang the Bob the Builder song all the way to GH.  It's as scintillating as their in-depth discussion of "Good Night Moon".

Oh, and isn't there some kind of psych support person after an at-home sudden death?   Sure, Alexis' daughter was there, but anyone could see she's kind of useless.

Edited by ciarra
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, bannana said:

That kind of thinking by NLG got her into all that twitter trouble a few years ago. And re-reading it, she sounds even worse than I remembered.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/nancy-lee-grahn-apologizes-bashing-825681

I remember Viola Davis responding to the Tweet, calling NLG "some soap opera actress." Once these genies escape from their bottles, it can get ugly. No one wins. 😞

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Being on a soap opera wouldn't be so bad if the writing wasn't complete shit. Soaps were one of the few mediums were women weren't put out to pasture once they hit a certain age...the role on the show changed, as it should. They might not be doing the same type of love scenes, but they still storylines involving careers, relationships, children, enemies, etc. Now I say "were." Except for Carly, for some weird reason, you are in the vet closets, only allowed out the prop some useless dull as dirt character. 

• Love 3

I remember an interview with Sara Botsford saying that it's so hard being an actress over 30, she's been in calls competing against her own daughter-in-law.   Viola Davis has been discriminated against; NLG has been discriminated against. Everyone hurts.

NLG seems to get in twitter trouble when she posts impulsively. She's not the only one. There isn't enough of an "I take that back" function in twitter.

On the immediate topic, I'd much rather see Alexis in a romance than Sasha, Willow with Michael, Sam with Jason, Maxie with Peter, Kristina with anyone ....

And why are they endlessly dragging Max dying out and killed Neil in a split second?

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

And why are they endlessly dragging Max dying out and killed Neil in a split second?

Who would Sonny emote to if not for Mike?   The guy who played Neil probably got a role elsewhere, and asked to be written out.  Since the role was going nowhere, there wasn't a point in recasting.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, ciarra said:

Who would Sonny emote to if not for Mike?   The guy who played Neil probably got a role elsewhere, and asked to be written out.  Since the role was going nowhere, there wasn't a point in recasting.

Not like Neil couldn't get some amazing opportunity somewhere and leave the city. 

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

Not like Neil couldn't get some amazing opportunity somewhere and leave the city. 

This.  They were already broken up and had been for awhile.  Why bring him back, have them make up and look like they'll have a future together, than kill him, all in one episode.  That seems like someone is punishing NLG.  

28 minutes ago, ciarra said:

And why are they endlessly dragging Max dying out

OMG, don't get me started on this.  Mike has stopped eating.  When that happens patients become weak and are basically bed bound until they pass on.  They do not get into wheelchairs and cars and hang around stables, and get out of wheelchairs and walk around petting horses and talking and hugging.  UGH.

The rest of today....

-loved Olivia's top.,  That colour was stunning on her (and no boobs about to fall out!!)

-Ned is in the wrong.  I get that his daughter was just traumatized, but it's not like Olivia going on vacation to the Bahamas.  She's being snuck into a medical facility to see her son, whom she hasn't seen in a year.  Enough with the guilt trip, you think your child is more important than mine nonsense.

-what is happening with KSt.  The hair and make up today is just all kinds of wtf

-was Sasha pimping out Chase to Brook Lynn?   He's a good guy, not for me, but you know, ...

-looks like were going full steam ahead with Millow.  Blech. Also, all that talk about Mike and his childhood, uhm, if I remember correctly Mike was out of the picture until Michael would have been in his teens.  There should be no memories of the fun times they had.  

• Love 14

In the never ending saga of Mike, today, we visit the horsies where Mike remembers all sorts of shit and manages to say a few words. I was half-expecting to see him drop dead while patting that horse, but it didn't happen. 

Ned wanting Olivia to stay because he was an incompetent parent and needs some hand holding. Put on your big boy pants, Ned. Olivia needs to be elsewhere. You go and handle your shit like a grown-up. Also, didn't Lois take a flight out of Australia the night BL was attacked? I could have sworn Ned told BL that.

I think they are looking at this Chase / BL pairing. Whatever happens there, it will be insanely better than the dreck that is Willow/Michael. Boy do they know how to suck the energy out of a room. 

Dear Anna, you're an idiot. But it seems that things will finally shake up a bit with Alex. Between Maxie/Peter and Willow/Michael, there was nowhere to hide today. There are no words for Maxie's hair. I was extremely fixated on it.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 8
42 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

The show fell in love with MG and extended this story for much longer than it was originally supposed to go on for. It was never my favorite, mostly because of MB’s acting during it, but even a lot of people who liked the story initially are tired of it now and just want Mike to die.

Edited by ffwbe
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Also, didn't Lois take a flight out of Australia the night BL was attacked?

Yes, but that one night has lasted about a week and a half now.  We're only onto the day after at this point.  It takes, what, 24 hours to fly from Australia so at the pace that the show goes, Lois should arrive three weeks from next Tuesday.  (which is why they probably chose Australia since anywhere else, people would be saying, should she be here by now)

11 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

The show fell in love with MG

*raising my hand*  I am a huge Max Gail fan.  He reminds me a lot of my father, and the story struck that cord with me, having gone throught that.  But then it took a detour at 'look how spry Mike is despite his end stage, so that Sonny can have more time' nonsense, and now I want it over, buried with a brick building built on top of it.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 10

I was totally expecting Mike to fall down and die among the horsies. In fact, I wished he had rather than Felix come and say that he could be mayor if Laura steps down. I agree that Max Gail has been great but we're long past the "less is more" state at this point.

Today's show was just about unwatchable. The only good scenes were with Robert and Anna, especially Robert saying that he doesn't need to argue with her, she's doing it all on her own.

I wonder how Wally Kurth felt when they sent him the dreck that was Ned's dialogue today. That was Sonny and Carly levels of self-centredness.

No words for how bad Willow and Michael have become. That Amish dress (although the wrong fabric) said it all.

There is no logical sense to Chase/BL other than that they're both single right now.  I'm going to put that on the list of things that Prince Michael killed.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
5 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Yes, but that one night has lasted about a week and a half now.  We're only onto the day after at this point.  It takes, what, 24 hours to fly from Australia so at the pace that the show goes, Lois should arrive three weeks from next Tuesday.  (which is why they probably chose Australia since anywhere else, people would be saying, should she be here by now)

Thank you, and that's sort of my point. If Lois is on her way (and she may or may not be, who knows), then she will be there to assist Ned with BL. Ned trying to guilt Olivia into staying was not cool. Maybe he'll tell her that he doesn't want her to hang out with Robert next time he sees her.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

If Lois is on her way (and she may or may not be, who knows), then she will be there to assist

But in the meantime we get days and days and days of "GET OUT"  written on an iPad and Ned's sad face at his tool of a daughter.  I'm sure there will also be some jealous "Olivia is with Robert, how dare she" as well.  Because the only people allowed to be happy on this show are CarSon, Millow and JaSam.  Can't wait.  

• Love 4

So even though I find Olivia to be a nag and absolutely wrong w/r/t Ned being upset w/Brook Lynn for the ELQ shares, I was completely on her side today when it comes to visiting Dante. If Olivia wants to see her son, that's her business. Even if it's a pointless trip, that's on her! Brook Lynn is not in a coma. She's not dying. She's up and as bitchy as ever, so why should Olivia delay the one opportunity to see her son b/c Ned wants Brook Lynn to forgive him right now?!?! Ned just needs to suck it up and realize that Brook Lynn doesn't want to speak to him right now. She'll eventually get over herself. 

Chase - you made your bed and now you have to lie in it. Sasha was absolutely correct. You can't just take back your lies. Chase and Sasha should have just encouraged Millow to marry for Wiley's sake. That would have made more sense. The show could have then dirtied Millow up a bit by having them fall for each other and "emotionally cheating." Same end goal, but a different (maybe more interesting) journey. I hope Chase really takes Sasha's advice and moves on from Willow. As Sasha said, Willow definitely loves Wiley more than she loves Chase. He is better off w/o her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I do hope we see Lois, and by see Lois, I mean they put the Denise wig on Lisa Lo Cicero.

Not really watching, but it sounds like the writing for Brook Lynn continues to be disappointing.  As I've already said, when Amanda Setton was playing Kimberly Andrews on OLTL, Kim's bitchiness had more nuance to it than this, and Kim didn't have the benefit of being a legacy character.  Why do the writers always tip these types of characters into bratiness? 

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

-looks like were going full steam ahead with Millow.  Blech. Also, all that talk about Mike and his childhood, uhm, if I remember correctly Mike was out of the picture until Michael would have been in his teens.  There should be no memories of the fun times they had.

Mike is Michael's godfather, so their relationship is actually older than Michael's and Sonny's. I was under the impression that Mike was living in Port Charles all these years, just offscreen.

I can't believe they forked over the dough for a real horse.

Ugh, I can't with this stupid "cheating" story with Chase and Sasha. He was an idiot to go along with it in the first place, so I have no sympathy there. But I do like that he wants to tell her the truth, even if his motives aren't entirely pure. He should, regardless of the fallout. Willow deserves to know.

A lot of the women are wearing that ugly pink and blue eye shadows. Should they really be sharing?

I don't get the sudden (relatively speaking) push for Chase and BL to become a couple. 

LOL at Robert's unspoken "Yikes, I did not want to walk into that!" at the Q mansion.

Oh, no, Alex might be back. 

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

but I'm not sure why they would pursue it with a temp recast.

Maybe she's not a temp.  I had the impression AS was nowhere near her delivery date, but didn't want to work during the pandemic while pregnant.  Could be gone for awhile or possibly not return.  I just don't know which is worst for Chase, hair tossing, insta druggie Sasha or Brat Lynn.  I mean, do I want a kick to the face or a kick to the crotch.  Not really a good choice either way.  

29 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Oh, no, Alex might be back. 

Hey, if it gets us a "Anna is not Peter's mother" finally, I'm all for it.  

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

They chem tested a few times, but I'm not sure why they would pursue it with a temp recast.

Per what Frank's said in the press, it sounds like they're just going forward with scripts and stories they had written months ago with only minor changes, probably before Amanda Setton decided to ride out her pregnancy at home.

• Love 1

-what is happening with KSt.  The hair and make up today is just all kinds of wtf

She posted on Instagram a while back that Brandon Barash gave both her and their daughter covid haircuts. She thought he did a great job. I disagree. And you're right, her makeup has been awful.

• Love 2

What I really noticed about Maxie's hair is the the black roots are gone, and that gets two thumbs up from me.

19 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Per what Frank's said in the press, it sounds like they're just going forward with scripts and stories they had written months ago with only minor changes, probably before Amanda Setton decided to ride out her pregnancy at home.

Why????  This is the perfect opportunity to clean up their mistakes. Unless they don't think they're making any, of course.

IMO, there was no chemistry between AS and JS. Bitching and fighting doesn't always mean attraction, writers.

• Love 1

Ugh, I can't with this endless Mike farewell. 

Sonny, Where were all these rosey childhood memories when Mike was begging to be in your life. Don't get me started with Carly's ridiculous, Mike is at his best when he's with you Sonny. 

On a shallow note, what's with these women wearing heels to inappropriate places, Willow was on a picnic for gods sake, and Carly was swanning around a horse stable. Way to ruin a nice pair of heels.

• Love 2

Forget the growing bowl of moss, I want to know who the guy is at Anna’s house lurking in the background and showing people out the door. I only noticed him in the last week or so. Is he Anna’s assistant or something?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, DanaK said:

Forget the growing bowl of moss, I want to know who the guy is at Anna’s house lurking in the background and showing people out the door. I only noticed him in the last week or so. Is he Anna’s assistant or something?

They're in the MetroCourt lobby.  I think.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Anna's house (when they show it) is ridiculously ostentatious.  I can't imagine even a super-spy, ex-commissioner being able to afford that.  Especially considering DA Robert is living in a dumpster somewhere.  And I still think Robert as DA is ridiculous, as well.

• Love 3

Nooo, I do not want Chase saddled with bratty Brooklyn. Let Britt have a crack at him, at least she's got a freaking personality! I can see those two being fun and spunky together. 

OMG, if I have to look at MB's moistened eyelids one more fucking time! Do they think cuz Max Gail can make MB squeeze out some moisture while reading the prompter, that this is riveting acting?! Then Mikey and Willow starring in their very own Merchant/Ivory period courtship. "I too, did not mind the kiss, Michael. Would you care for a scone?" The Corinthii have gone from making me ragey, to making me cringe. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 6

I agree with the cringing.  There are plenty of couples that I haven't liked over the years but I physically cringe when Michael and Willow have a scene.  I HATE them together.  Hate.  They are beyond boring and, as someone mentioned earlier, this marriage has completely sucked the life out of Willow. She is now a Stepford wife who can only talk about Wiley, Wiley, Wiley.  Of course a huge part of the problem with this entire storyline is simply CD.  He's not a leading man and never will be.

Lulu was also at her best today, making Brook Lynn's situation all about her own getting-stabbed-and-left-to-die thing.  I like her less every time she's on screen.  If Dante does come back to town, he deserves better.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

In the never ending saga of Mike, today, we visit the horsies where Mike remembers all sorts of shit and manages to say a few words. I was half-expecting to see him drop dead while patting that horse, but it didn't happen. 

Honestly, how friggin' long are they going to drag this out?  Every other story flies by like shoppers stampeding Wal-Mart on Black Friday and this one has been going on for literal years.  And the worst part is it's not to honestly portray Alzheimer's, it's all about Sonny and his neverending man pain.

• Love 12
10 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Honestly, how friggin' long are they going to drag this out?  Every other story flies by like shoppers stampeding Wal-Mart on Black Friday and this one has been going on for literal years.  And the worst part is it's not to honestly portray Alzheimer's, it's all about Sonny and his neverending man pain.

It makes me feel bad that I am rooting for the death of an old man. Max Gail seems like a really lovely person, but me rooting for Mike's death makes me feel like I'm doing the same for the actor for some reason. The longer the story goes, the more resentful I've become.

Also, there's a fucking pandemic that has indiscriminately killed people who are Max Gail's age. Stop dragging him out to prop the dead weight that is Sonny Corinthos. I totally get that it's the actor's choice at the end of the day.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

loved Olivia's top.,  That colour was stunning on her (and no boobs about to fall out!!)

She looked gorgeous in that 💕💕

14 hours ago, AuxArx said:

Pal, the horse, needs to get a Guest Actor Emmy next year...he was great (and he outacted several of people in the scenes with him)

I loved him!  He kept giving side-eye to Sonny and Mike, like ‘damn I don’t even know what you humans are saying and you’re still annoying AF’

I’m almost hating Willow now.  Michael has turned her into a boring, virginal, Disney-watching, Mary-Sue, woman-child.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, Tribefan said:

Lulu was also at her best today, making Brook Lynn's situation all about her own getting-stabbed-and-left-to-die thing. 

I;m on the other side of the fence on this one.  Lulu and BL have been at each other throats since BL came back (I blame ALL of it on BL), so Lulu is here, trying to extend the olive branch by comiserating with BL and offering to be a shoulder for her since she knows what it's like, unlike someone who hasn't been stabbed.  But BL, AGAIN, was a complete bitch.  

• Love 9
10 hours ago, Tribefan said:

Lulu was also at her best today, making Brook Lynn's situation all about her own getting-stabbed-and-left-to-die thing. 

I;m on the other side of the fence on this one.  Lulu and BL have been at each other throats since BL came back (I blame ALL of it on BL), so Lulu is here, trying to extend the olive branch by comiserating with BL and offering to be a shoulder for her since she knows what it's like, unlike someone who hasn't been stabbed.  But BL, AGAIN, was a complete bitch.  

• Love 3

I know that Amanda Setton has her fans, but I'm liking the temporary Brook Lynn a little more. She's doing a pretty good job with these silent scenes.

Oh, the comedy of everyone pouring into the girl's room to either check on her or unload. When Sasha showed up all, "You can't talk, so I have something to say: Chase is actually a really great guy!" I thought, on Brook Lynn's behalf, "Huh?" Like the quality of Chase's character would even be on Brook Lynn's list at the moment, let alone near the top. 

Now, here's a way to use history: If they're going to drag out Brook Lynn's inability to speak, they could have her reconnect meaningfully with Nikolas. It doesn't even have to be a romance. He went through the same thing way back in his early years in Port Charles (shot in the throat by someone aiming at Jason). Robin helped him through it and they became good platonic friends. So he could pay it forward. Bonus:  He actually has history with Brook Lynn, even though they were played by different people at the time.

I'd rather see that than some insta-pairing of Brook Lynn with Chase. But they won't do it. Nikolas's only story has to be this very slow-moving quad with Ava, Franco, and Liz. I will admit I like watching that more than I should, but it's just because I like the actors in it. I just wish something would, you know, happen.

• Love 3

I loved Chase with Willow and am still annoyed that they broke up the one couple on this show who acted with some maturity, talking out their issues rather than hiding them. And why did they break them up? To prop a Corinthos, of course. Now I'm annoyed with Willow, but still love Chase and don't want him with Brook Lynn. She is too sekf-centered and immature. Look no further than her reason for selling her shares to Valentin and her treatment of her father for confirmation of that. Put Chase with Britt. Let him be single. Don't put him with Brook.

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

Put Chase with Britt. Let him be single. Don't put him with Brook.

Play out whatever story with Finn they’ve been dancing around for years. Or get him involved with Dante’s return. I don’t get why they don’t take advantage of the actor’s natural chemistry with pretty much everyone but Sasha and Brook. 

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

I loved Chase with Willow and am still annoyed that they broke up the one couple on this show who acted with some maturity, talking out their issues rather than hiding them. And why did they break them up? To prop a Corinthos, of course.

Ugh, I KNOW. The whole quickie marriage thing was so idiotic in the first place, and now Michael wants WIllow to adopt Wiley? Hello, remember Lucas and Brad, STILL THE LEGAL PARENTS? It's so aggravating that this show makes children possessions for people to own. Willow and Wiley have a connection. She's been a part of his life for a while. Why does he need to be adopted by her? 

I hope they have Nelle return in a few months and puts the kibosh on this. Nelle lost custody, not parental rights to her son. (I know, everyone thinks she's dead and it's fairly moot at the moment.)

This is such a galactically stupid story, and now we have to suffer through a romance that's more boring than Sabrina and Michael, which is saying something. 

• Love 8

I think they could have done putting Michael and Willow together via Wiley more organically.  I mean, Michael did have a bit of a crush on her before she started dating Chase, right?  So you could have just had Michael offer to let her spend time with Wiley and have it grow from there, with Sasha and Chase getting jealous on the side.  It all happened too quick, too fast, feelings flipping on and off for no reason.

It also remains insane to me that Lucas is just nowhere.  Michael's bending over backward to keep Willow in Wiley's life, has he mentioned his uncle once?  Have they shared a scene since Lucas handed who he thought was his son over?  It's terrible soap storytelling.

• Love 7

It's not as if they're waiting for Ryan Carnes to become available again, either. All of this can be dealt with secondhand, as it were. "Diane talked to Lucas's lawyer and..." etc. It's not that hard. At least tie up that loose end, Show.

• Love 4