Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

Too much of people loudly talking about their schemes and being overheard lately.

I like that Lisa LoCicero has gotten such a long run out of a character whose front-burner time peaked early, and I'd have a soft spot for anyone who sticks around in good times and lean times and gives her all to whatever she has to do, whether it's squabbling with Lulu or feuding with the Quartermaine cook. But in these recent episodes, it's been a little too apparent that LLC hasn't had anything to get worked up about for a long time. She's doing the acting equivalent of a starving person sitting down to a meal. "I get meaty scenes with my husband! I get to get emotional!" Everything is cranked up to 10. Less would be more, even with hot-blooded Olivia from Bensonhurst.  

I think it's fine that Willow's favorite movie is an animated film, but you just know, with the way she was describing it and her overall personality, it's no WALL-E or Spirited Away. It's more likely to be The Strawberry Shortcake Movie or My Little Pony: Equestria Girls. However, when she was describing that it had stupid humor, I had fun imagining it was the sex- and profanity-filled Fritz the Cat. In fact, in my version, that's what she and Michael were going to watch until I see onscreen contradiction.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
12 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

Only if she isn't already out of town and on the other side of whatever road block they would set up.  Chase presumed that she had at least a 1 hour head start.  

12 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

It cracked me up when Willow said, "She could be anywhere by now!" and I was like, "She's only had an hour head start. You know she's probably driving. She can't have gotten that far."

I don't mean to beat this dead horse, because I really don't care, but Chase is just assuming Nelle's got an hour's head start. He didn't know that she was on the dock arguing with Julian. We know, in Show Time, it was like five minutes, but who knows how much time it took for her to find that lot, and which car to take, blah, blah, blah.

And the stupid cops and FEDS probably have, I'm blanking on the name, those saw horses or are stopping cars to search. Remember, Chase told Olivia it's just not the inept/idiotic Port Charles police department, but he pulled in the Feds!

9 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I can’t get past William DeVry wig. It’s all I look at. He’s not even shirtless which might help. I thought his previous short buzz cut was a wig. Did he want viewers to think he couldn’t get a haircut during the pandemic and it grew? I say go back to the shortcut which was at least somewhat believable and move on. 

What makes you think it's a wig?

8 hours ago, statsgirl said:

If Spinelli suddenly figures out that the toy has a tracking device and that's how Nelle is found, I will throw something at the TV. There is NO reason to think that there is a tracking device in the toy.

That's it!  And Sonny figures it out. Otherwise it makes no sense for Sonny to take the bag.  I'm still hoping that Julian threw it out somewhere on the way home though.

1. Of course he will; he serves no other purpose.
  2. I didn't see him or Brando walk off with the bag. Just saw Brando hold it up; Mooby getting in Julian's face; walking away; coming back--no bag in hand when Julian called his name.

I don't care about the character of Sam; have no use for her; but it's tragic what Kelly has done to her face. I keep having visions of Goldie Hawn's character in First Wives Club and what she did to her lips. And how Rob Reiner's plastic surgeon character said something like if she kept injecting collagen, her lips would blow up like a blowfish "they got stuck in a pool drain."

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • LOL 2
10 hours ago, CharethCutestory said:

ends up in a coma

A coma, no doubt, which gives Carly and Sam time to fight about whether to pull the plug. UGH. 

As with most worst-case-scenario stories involving Carly/Sonny/Jason/Sam, there's no point in wondering what will happen, as it definitely won't be the worst case scenario. I wish they'd stop writing these, because the Foursome never loses. 

9 hours ago, statsgirl said:
10 hours ago, CharethCutestory said:

Probably a nice big bottle of chloroform in there too. 

That's it!  And Sonny figures it out. Otherwise it makes no sense for Sonny to take the bag. 

Sonny is petty enough to take the bag no matter what's inside, just to show Julian he's the boss.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't care about the character of Sam; have no use for her; but it's tragic what Kelly has done to her face. I keep having visions of Goldie Hawn's character in First Wives Club and what she did to her lips. And how Rob Reiner's plastic surgeon character said something like if she kept injecting collagen, her lips would blow up like a blowfish "they got stuck in a pool drain."

LOL!! My mother and I always quote the fabulous Dame Maggie Smith when we see someone has gotten some not so subtle facial work done. "...and your LIPS!!" And yes we did say that to one another after seeing Kelly's new face. I mean I'm all for getting something here and there to fix an issue, make yourself feel better, give you a boost, etc. more power to ya so long as it doesn't become an addictive problem but Kelly really didn't need to do anything to her face. It looks like she went full on face lift she's so swollen and she's still too young for that!  

Edited by CharethCutestory
  • Love 2

I'm surprised Nelle did not run over the noisy woman. But it's Nelle, she might decide to come back and drive over her.

So, Nina and Willow scenes. I don't think the writers know what to do with Nina/Willow or Nina/Nelle, tbh.

I find Michael's reaction to Wylie's kidnapping so subdued. Stuttering through the lines doesn't convey a sense of urgency, CD. Maybe he should watch Charlie Hunnam's performance in SoA after Jax's son was kidnapped and try to go for something like that. I still get chills thinking about it years later and I felt more in 3 seconds of acting than CD made me feel in two days of this. But it's comparing apples with super hot oranges that can act the hell of a scene, so yeah. 

I know WdV just signed a new contract, but Julian is really the new AJ. He is PC's punching bag for anything and everything. Even when he wins, he somehow manages to lose. I know that the show is job security and a pay check, but damn. It's always more of the same for him, for MW, and anyone who is not in Sonny and Jason's inner circle. I find it exhausting.

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I find Michael's reaction to Wylie's kidnapping so subdued.

Well, he did have the typical Corinthos reaction of yelling at the police to get to work. (RME)

Edited by rur
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

Why not just rename the show to The Corinthos Family (And Everyone Who Props Them)? There was nothing on today that they didn't have their sticky fingers all over except for the stupid Liz/Nik/Ava/Franco quad, and Liz only went to the Nurses' Ball because she talked to Jason.

Nelle keeps doing worse and worse things, and yet I'm still hoping she'll get away because the Corinthii always win.

Liz, please buy a clue and figure out that Nik is trying to break up  your marriage. This stupid is not a good look on you

• Love 7

Congrats to Wally Kurth for getting two solid Emmy rolls this year. He had some great material on Days earlier this summer too, maybe he’ll be competing against himself for supporting. Too bad the story is all about Sonny from this point on. 

6 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

Too much of people loudly talking about their schemes and being overheard lately.

I like that Lisa LoCicero has gotten such a long run out of a character whose front-burner time peaked early, and I'd have a soft spot for anyone who sticks around in good times and lean times and gives her all to whatever she has to do, whether it's squabbling with Lulu or feuding with the Quartermaine cook. But in these recent episodes, it's been a little too apparent that LLC hasn't had anything to get worked up about for a long time. She's doing the acting equivalent of a starving person sitting down to a meal. "I get meaty scenes with my husband! I get to get emotional!" Everything is cranked up to 10. Less would be more, even with hot-blooded Olivia from Bensonhurst.  

I cannot sit through Olivia's scenes most of the time and the whatever accent she does is just "please stop!"  

• Love 4

I love how Elizabeth thinks Nik will tell her the truth if she asks him if he's messing with her marriage. Because he's been so honest throughout his life. Good grief.

More LOL about Portia explaining HIPAA to Cyrus. Plot point! If it were anyone but Cyrus, she's tell them everything. And when is Cyrus going to DO SOMETHING? I'm so tired of him skulking around town making vague threats. He's worse than Sonny that way. There's slow burn and then there's the no heat. We are in the no heat area here.

Ned got pretty decent writing for his scene in Brook Lynn's room.

So far, Chase is the one making progress on the case, which is gratifying. I'm so sick of the Corinthii badgering the PCPD and pretending they know how to be police.

• Love 8

I don’t care how horrible Nelle is and that she shouldn’t have the kid. I will never root for Carly, at least this version of her. Partly due to how the character is written and partly because LW stopped playing any sort of nuance a long time ago and relies on acting smug and yelling at everyone. Maybe I’d feel differently if it was truly Michel versus Nelle but it isn’t. 

Edited by ffwbe
  • Love 15
19 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

So far, Chase is the one making progress on the case,

Chase apparently is the only one on duty.  With the exception of the 9 seconds of Mac when they were wheeling to the ambulance, he hasn't been around. And I think Jordan fell into a ditch somewhere after she met Taggert on the docks, since we haven't seen her since.  

20 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Ned got pretty decent writing for his scene in Brook Lynn's room.

I was right there with him until he got right up close to her face and was breathing all over her.  I get that they're getting tested, probably every day, but yeesh, we're still in a pandemic here, people.  

21 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

More LOL about Portia explaining HIPAA to Cyrus.

He keeps throwing at her that he's her boss now, but is the chairman of the board really resposible for hiring and firings?  

1 hour ago, seasons said:

Nelle is pissing me off the way she keeps looking back at Wiley. Eyes on the road

I'm waiting for that car accident to happen, every time.  Especially now that the woman said to be careful, not to go over 30 because there are some hair pin turns on that road.  

• Love 4
1 minute ago, perkie1968 said:

I'm waiting for that car accident to happen, every time.  Especially now that the woman said to be careful, not to go over 30 because there are some hair pin turns on that road.  

I have a feeling that Nelle is going to miss the turnoff and we will be driving in circles until she runs out of gas. Chase might be able to catch her.

• LOL 3
18 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Michael, Willow and Carly puzzling out the missing kangaroo was painful.

That toy is the key.  Spinelli will hack Nelle's phone, find her tracking app and use it to track her and Wiley.  She'll be caught in a minute.

Edited by ciarra
  • Useful 1
20 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

He keeps throwing at her that he's her boss now, but is the chairman of the board really resposible for hiring and firings?  

Probably indirectly, in that Portia is some sort of administrator, right? She's not COS, but I think she's something more than just a doctor. At a certain level, I wouldn't be surprised if a hospital board would weigh in on hires.

Still, that doesn't mean she is obligated to break the law for Cyrus. And he should know that. But I think the point was just to show how mean he is and that he sees all. *rme*

4 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

in that Portia is some sort of administrator, right? S

She was made chief of something, I think Chief of Internal Medecine.  I always thought the board of directors were different than human resources, which I always assumed were the ones that did the hiring and firings.  (I will freely admit I don't know anything about American medical system other than what I see on tv!!)

9 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Who, BTW, is a stone-cold silver fox.

Can;t argue with that!!  This show needs more Mac.  

Edited by perkie1968
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, nilyank said:

I have a feeling that Nelle is going to miss the turnoff and we will be driving in circles until she runs out of gas.

I think she'll be going too fast in a turn, headlights in her face, aaaahhhhh as she raises her arms in defence, fade to black as we hear a loud crashing noise.  Monday afternoon, the car is overturned down an embankment with the wheels still turning and either Nelle and Wylie are in the car with blood pouring down their face, or they aren't in the car and have escaped somewhere.  

I;m hoping it's an escape because if this kidnapping lasts all of 3 episodes, I will be pissed.  Give us some tension and have them missing for awhile for pete's sake.  But that's just me!!

• Love 5

Well at least GH has figured out confidentiality rules, now they just have to learn about PPE disposal , blue gloves in the lab coat pocket NO!

Nina going to visit Willow? I agree with Willow, wtf?  stupid plot point writing. Just like  Olivia's first call would be to Sonny.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Olivia's first call would be to Sonny.

That was reasonable to me. Who else would Olivia call? Sonny and Brook Lynn aren't strangers, and it's Ned responsibility to call Lois (which he did). Given that Sonny has to be involved in everything, Olivia is the right person to let him know. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, dubbel zout said:

That was reasonable to me. Who else would Olivia call? Sonny and Brook Lynn aren't strangers, and it's Ned responsibility to call Lois (which he did). Given that Sonny has to be involved in everything, Olivia is the right person to let him know. 

Plus I am expecting for tomorrow for Olivia to mention that Robert managed to get her a visit with Dante. Saves time.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, ouinason said:

Isn't Sonny BL's godfather or some such bs?

No. He grew up with Lois in the same neighborhood.

I do remember that Ned/Lois were pregnant with BLQ at the time that Sonny/Lily were expecting and were at the his club when Clink Boom happened and Lily died.

1 hour ago, ciarra said:

That toy is the key.  Spinelli will hack Nelle's phone, find her tracking app and use it to track her and Wiley.  She'll be caught in a minute.

Unless they really drag this thing out and find the toy but not Nelle and Wiley. You just know they're going to find the car abandoned because Nelle will get tipped off by an updated phone alert or radio broadcast and ditch it. With this show's MO we'll be lucky if Wiley is home in time for a Christmas miracle. 

1 hour ago, ciarra said:

She has been using a burner phone. They have to find out about the toy first, which I'm not sure anyone but Julian (and now Ava) know about. I don't even remember if BL found out anything about it.

Also, while Nikolas was being an absolute dick about Ava and Franco's relationship and lying to her about it, Ava and Franco seemed to have a genuine moment. Lizzie needs to get her head out of her behind. Liz and Franco were both clearly fishing with Nikolas and Ava and Nikolas could not have come off as more disingenuous if he tried.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 5

Julian seems to be anti-Nelle these days so maybe he'd be willing to tell the police about the tracking device if Sonny and Michael would just stop yelling at him, maybe make a deal with the DA for leniency. But how would Spinelli be able to hack it?  Follow every tracking device in Port Charles and the area around?  I have a tracking device on my phone and my wallet, and my car keys because I keep losing them. Would he hack everyone?

I've worked in 6 hospital (I'm old) and I never even knew the name of the chair of the board much less was hired by him. Portia is the Head of Internal Medicine and would report to the Medical Director (Monica?) not the chair. Cyrus may be able to take away her being the Head but I really doubt that he would be able to fire her from the staff. The show is really wasting Cyrus, he's like a ghost who keeps flitting around but never does anything other than Jason's motorcycle crash.

Losing Wylie, even if just for a few months, might actually give the Michael/Willow relationship some energy. But the show would probably blow it and instead of having Willow blame Michael, which wouldn't be unreasonable since Wylie was stolen from the Quartermaine house, they would just have them bond in grief.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

But how would Spinelli be able to hack it?

Didn't you know that Spinelli is a super genius? He can hack everything, even closed cell phones.

10 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Losing Wylie, even if just for a few months, might actually give the Michael/Willow relationship some energy. But the show would probably blow it and instead of having Willow blame Michael, which wouldn't be unreasonable since Wylie was stolen from the Quartermaine house, they would just have them bond in grief.

Either way, 🤢🤮

They are as boring as boring gets. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Are they going back to Willow being Nina's daughter? I hope not, but how can they possibly make it Nelle now that she kidnapped Wiley and nearly killed BL. She near if not reached totally irredeemable. This kidnapping thing is so fucking boring. I would have rather had the Nelle is Nina's daughter reveal at the trial. 

WTF with Sonny, Carly and Mikey waiting in the police lobby. Shouldn't Sonny be mobilizing Brick and all his other people to find Nelle.  

WTF with Taggert STILL skulking around the docks after his totally stupid, out in the open meeting with Jordan. As if Cyrus wouldn't be keeping tabs on Jordan. 

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

how can they possibly make it Nelle now that she kidnapped Wiley and nearly killed BL. She near if not reached totally irredeemable.

That's the drama. Nina and Willow don't have much conflict these days, so watching them bond would be like watching paint dry. Not that watching Nelle and Nina try to bond is more interesting, but at least Nina can draw on her history of ripping a baby out of Ava's womb.

The sell-by date on this story is way in the past, and I have no doubt it will fizzle out like everything else.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

why would she need the tracker app on her burner phone?

The fact that she specifically said that she had a burner phone today, makes me think that she switched phones and that the tracker was on her other, regular phone.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

YES! Omg, yes. It's super lazy writing imo.

9 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

Perfect assessment!

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Liz and Franco were both clearly fishing with Nikolas and Ava and Nikolas could not have come off as more disingenuous if he tried.

I thought for sure that we would see a scene with Friz where they acknowledged that NAva were playing them both.  But instead we had a weird NAva scene at the bar, boo hoo hooing each other.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Blackie said:

Just like  Olivia's first call would be to Sonny.

That actually made sense.  Sonny and BL are tight.  She has visited and sung for Mike.  She has thrown his name around anytime she thought she had something on Julian.  Sonny and Lois are besties.  I didn't have a problem with that.  I did have a problem with Portia given him an update on BL, telling him that she may not be able to speak.  When she just finished telling Cyrus about HYPPA.  

• Love 1
On 8/21/2020 at 10:52 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yes, @perkie1968 mentioned that, and I responded above. 😉

You know I LOATHE Mooby, so any reason I can pick on him, I will! Especially since the conversation was with the SheBeast, and he's thanking her for her coming up with the idea for a telethon (PUHLEAZE. Like she gives any good goddamns if it doesn't affect her). Instead of reiterating to her skanky ass that Stone was just as important to him (if not more, since history on this show has shown ME he didn't give any good fracks about his deadbeat father until Gail took over the role and wrote this story) as his father in his current form. I'm surprised SheBeast didn't give a skankface when Robert mentioned Robin. She almost never loses an opportunity to do so.

Yeah, I'm biased.

#TEAMROBIN4EVAH!

I want to marry this post!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

So far, Chase is the one making progress on the case, which is gratifying. I'm so sick of the Corinthii badgering the PCPD and pretending they know how to be police.

I know there’s no way they’ll let Chase find Wiley, but I really wish they’d let Chase find him. The brief tension between him and Willow while he was interviewing the Q’s was the most I’ve liked her since she married Michael. 

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

I know there’s no way they’ll let Chase find Wiley, but I really wish they’d let Chase find him. The brief tension between him and Willow while he was interviewing the Q’s was the most I’ve liked her since she married Michael. 

And that's what the show is so tragically boring. They never mix it up ever. Not even a little bit. I hate the Michael and Willow MOC because half of it is Michael, the drip, and anything he's a part of is immediately awful. If they get closer during Wiley's kidnapping and officially get together then find out about Sasha and Chase's fake tryst, at least there would be some drama. If Chase finds Wiley that would further drive a wedge between anything new between Willow and Michael. Michael would owe Chase. And so forth. But they won't do anything other than Jason is there to save the day thanks to Michael with the assist and Carly somehow takes down Nelle. Yawn. 

I will say, at least Michael had a pulse today with Julian at the PCPD because up until that point he had been remarkably chill about everything. I feel bad picking on Chad Duell, and a lot of the issues can be blamed on writing, but Michael should be taking up the torch for the show at this point being a Quartermaine raised by Sonny and Carly, he should be an epic character but he's a pitiful dud. I know CD is well liked by the cast, probably a very reliable employee and his place is safe as long as he wants to be there, but if they ever do recast I think Michael Mealor who plays Kyle on Y&R would be great. He's also besties with Josh Swickard IRL. I think MM could capture the arrogance but tortured soul Michael should be given his lineage and upbringing and everything he's been through. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

More LOL about Portia explaining HIPAA to Cyrus. Plot point! If it were anyone but Cyrus, she's tell them everything. 

This. Mr. mbluecpa is in health care so we always notice (and can’t go a week without seeing) the flagrant disregard of HIPAA. It was only a week or two ago that they blasted clean through it, I think with Felix and either Jason or Mike.

27 minutes ago, CharethCutestory said:

I know CD is well liked by the cast, probably a very reliable employee and his place is safe as long as he wants to be there, but if they ever do recast I think Michael Mealor who plays Kyle on Y&R would be great. He's also besties with Josh Swickard IRL. I think MM could capture the arrogance but tortured soul Michael should be given his lineage and upbringing and everything he's been through. 

I’ve always thought the reverse could work. I think CD would be more believable as a junior executive trying to impress the family. 

Edited by mbluecpa

Just wait for Jason to find Nelle's regular phone so that Spinelli can track Nelle using the app.

Wasn't it Monday that Jason found Taggart? Shouldn't he be saving him immediately?

Nina with Willow is even more boring than Nina with Jax.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I doubt Chad will ever leave, but they desperately need someone with charisma in the role.  Chad does not have even an ounce of it and  under any circumstance cannot make a pairing work.  It's been 10 years and not one pairing has clicked. On top of it, they really need to stop writing Michael as a 16 year old boy where his mom and uncle wipe his butt at every turn. It's laughable this character leads in episode counts when he acts like such a child.

• Love 8

I just got caught up on the (terrible) Nurses Ball, and while I know you all have moved on, please allow me to vent about a few things:

If the show really cares about frontline workers (as the constant mention would lead one to assume) why not partner with an actual charity that is already raising funds for that cause and put that charity’s number on the screen?? It was a real missed opportunity, IMO.

While the show seems to want us to believe that BL was stabbed in the throat, I saw it happen (twice) and there was no stabbing. Nelle sliced those scissors sideways, like the throat was being slashed. But those scissors were closed! The most BL should have is a bruise on the side of her neck.

A close up on Julian’s feet when he was carrying Wiley out of the mansion showed that there is no threshold at the entrance. There was a welcome mat, and as the door closed, an approximate 2” gap at the bottom of the door. It must cost a fortune to run the HVAC in that place!

The animosity between Liz and Franco seemed to come out of nowhere. For years, she has been his staunchest defender, and always supported his artistic side, but now all of a sudden she has a problem with him having a minor showing? And someone else defacing his painting makes him suspect in her eyes? I know this is all a set up for a potential Liz/Nik tryst, but it makes no sense for her to turn on Franco so quickly. Considering all the time this show spends on dragggging out storylines like the damn Claire’s Boutique necklace, it’s annoying when others are so needlessly rushed.

With all the bad performances at the NB (most of which I had to FF through, because, yikes), could they not spare a few moments for my pal Moss? I understand he had a killer rendition of “It’s Not Easy Being Green” at the ready. Another missed opportunity.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, CharethCutestory said:

Lol! why not Yaddayadda!? 

Beecause I don't wike him.

Seriously, I stopped watching YR well over a year ago, his storyline with Sasha and Summer was pretty atrocious. I could be projecting my hate onto the actor. Also, he has a weird chin. I know, I'm swimming in the very shallow end of the pool.