Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

From the beginning, I would’ve preferred if Gregory had a made up disease rather than ALS because the later is unbelievably cruel and complex for the sufferers and their families and a soap like GH would never have done it justice a quick end was the best option, especially as it brings in new storylines.

Gregory and Tracy were great because she empathized with him and was very supportive in his struggles. I don’t think the relationship would’ve worked as well if the character was a healthy man so I’m grateful for their scenes.

On another note, DZ was great today as Dante’s anger towards his dad came out and I hope it continues for a few more days/weeks (we all know it won’t last - sigh).

• Like 5
32 minutes ago, Desperado said:

On another note, DZ was great today as Dante’s anger towards his dad came out and I hope it continues for a few more days/weeks (we all know it won’t last - sigh).

Sonny will get pumped full of lead saving Ace, Violet or perhaps every child in town on the BJ Jones Memorial School Bus, and then it will be time for another round of the tearful deathbed vigils as the entire cast repents their sins.

• Like 3
  • LOL 6

I'm back on the barge but a permanent Monica recast would enrage me. Leslie is the closest the show has to an original cast member at this point. And after the Jed Allan debacle as Edward I think the show has learned its lesson there. I hope she can come back once she's well but she can remain offscreen until then.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
5 hours ago, jacourt said:

Man this is a rough day. Two of my favorite characters die:  Gregory

Spoiler

and dr Glassman (the good doctor). 

I don't know what the rules are for spoilers of other current shows, but can you please put a spoiler tag on this? I was not expecting to get spoiled for that, and others might have the same reaction.

• Like 9

I was hoping that Finn wasn't gonna tell Chase about Gregory and let him go on his honeymoon. That's where I thought things were headed when Finn picked up the phone and was thinking to himself.  But I guess if they wanted to do a funeral, Chase wouldn't be back in time otherwise.

• Like 4

I have been waiting more than a decade for Dante to find his balls. Ever since he let Sonny off the hook for shooting him, he's been rolling over, and it's gross, especially when Sonny is obviously looking to trade on having a family member on the force. Everything Dante said was right.   

When Josslyn said they had had to wait for "HOURS" at GH for Dex to be seen (which Eden managed to make sound like Joss is just at the end of her rope with the ineptness all around her), I became even more glad the show didn't show us much of them at the hospital. I didn't need to see mini-Carly demanding to speak to the manager because the person doing triage had decided other people were a higher priority than her boyfriend. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 7
(edited)
9 hours ago, Grinaldi said:

I'm back on the barge but a permanent Monica recast would enrage me. Leslie is the closest the show has to an original cast member at this point. And after the Jed Allan debacle as Edward I think the show has learned its lesson there. I hope she can come back once she's well but she can remain offscreen until then.

I understand this, believe me. I'm still incensed at how Chris Robinson was treated and also Stuart Damon. Not to mention Anna Lee. But John Ingle wasn't the original Edward-that was David Lewis; and yes, Jed's second recast was an abomination; all I could see and hear was CC Capwell when he opened his mouth.

But if Leslie isn't able to say, stand or walk, just have her sitting down, like Raymond Burr did in the last of the Perry Mason movie-the man was dying of cancer, but for us, stuck it through. I'm just tired of the reasons for why Monica ISN'T in scenes she SHOULD be. And if Frank, that asshole, is waiting for her to die, dimes to donuts, she won't get a proper memorial. Well, maybe she might, as Jackie did, and not the INSULT of the one given to Stuart, even if Alan was dead.

And Genie and Jane are also original cast members. ETA: Oops. Forgot Genie didn't originate Laura. So Jane, then!

1 hour ago, NotMySekrit2Tell said:

I have been waiting more than a decade for Dante to find his balls. Ever since he let Sonny off the hook for shooting him, he's been rolling over, and it's gross, especially when Sonny is obviously looking to trade on having a family member on the force. Everything Dante said was right.   

That was the BEST part of the show yesterday, aside from bawling my eyes out at Gonzo's departure. Dante FINALLY hit Mooby with the truth bombs. Not that I expect him to hear what Dante is saying. I expect more of "you've turned against me" mantra.

I guess with this latest recast of Kristina, she's all but forgotten that her father is a mafia "don" Vito Corleone wannabe. Like others have stated, he was going to kill Johnny with that car bomb; had him beaten. I don't care that she didn't witness it with her eyes. She has KNOWN who he is and why Alexis kept her from him for the first two years of her life, until she couldn't. But sure, Kristina, beg the SLS to do something so Mooby doesn't have to pay for this, as well. Will Anna hide this in her drawer along with Cyrus' statement about his attack?

But, back to Dante. Loved him finally telling Mooby he wasn't going to carry water for him anymore, and laying out the questioning, and how Mooby actually expected him to LIE for his whiny and narcissistic ass?

1 hour ago, NotMySekrit2Tell said:

When Josslyn said they had had to wait for "HOURS" at GH for Dex to be seen (which Eden managed to make sound like Joss is just at the end of her rope with the ineptness all around her), I became even more glad the show didn't show us much of them at the hospital.

I laughed so hard at this. There were no broken bones; he hadn't been shot. There was no urgency. His ass just had a black eye. The ER is for EMERGENCIES. But then again, in her mind, that pulverized eye was an emergency. 

Why doesn't someone call Phyllis? Maybe Mooby won't accuse her of turning against him? But then she disappeared, like over a year ago, right?

To end on a positive note, Michael Easton was just wonderful. I haven't seen this side of him in years.

Bye, Gonzo. Now I think I'll see if I can find Trapper John, MD online somewhere.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 5
  • Love 3

In fairness, that eye was pretty bad and the socket  have been damaged. So yeah, he should have been seen. And he *could* have had fractured ribs. But as you said, it wasn’t life or death. He wasn’t hemorrhaging, he wasn’t unconscious. He was perfectly capable of walking into the ER by himself. He didn’t even seem to be in too much(if any)  pain. So yes, Joss, he had to wait in the ER for HOURS. Welcome to the world the rest of us live in. 🙄

• Like 9
  • Love 1

I guess Kristina had forgotten when Keifer beat her up and landed her in the hospital. When Sonny asked her who did it and fearing that he would go after Keifer, she said it was Ethan whereupon Sonny went after Ethan to kill him. Instead Ethan was beaten worse than Dex and Kristina saw the results of what her lie did.

• Like 10
  • Useful 1

With an exception here and there (*cough* Joss and Dex) the last couple of episodes really brought it in a good way.  I thought the events surrounding Gregory’s death were very well-written and well-acted; Monday’s montage was a little emotional even for me.

I know we can’t have nice things, but wow I wish TPTB would position Dante/DZ as GH’s new male lead.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • Love 8
15 hours ago, Sake614 said:

In this case they may skip it since he had ALS.

I don't think so—Gregory wasn't at the point where he had mere weeks/days to live. They'd want to be sure no one "helped" him on his way. 

14 hours ago, Sake614 said:

as for the addiction, if anything was going to send him spiraling, it’s this. I’m perfectly okay with it being the catalyst. I thought it was contrived that he was twisting himself into knots over one sip of champagne st the wedding.

Same. I know the wedding slip was to set up the deliberate drinking after Gregory died, but it was so heavy-handed.

12 hours ago, Artsda said:

Dante ending up at the after-party and hung over was great and his taking nothing from Sonny. 

I hated Dante ending up at the afterparty and being hungover. Why couldn't he have shown up, had one drink to satisfy pushy Cousin Patty (who is written problematically anyway, IMO), and then leave? Ugh. But him taking nothing from Sonny was great. At least someone can do that to Sonny. He doesn't get nearly enough of that.

3 hours ago, NotMySekrit2Tell said:

When Josslyn said they had had to wait for "HOURS" at GH for Dex to be seen (which Eden managed to make sound like Joss is just at the end of her rope with the ineptness all around her), I became even more glad the show didn't show us much of them at the hospital. I didn't need to see mini-Carly demanding to speak to the manager because the person doing triage had decided other people were a higher priority than her boyfriend. 

I had to laugh at her outrage. So typical.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Same. I know the wedding slip was to set up the deliberate drinking after Gregory died, but it was so heavy-handed.

The way the camera panned on that bottle of booze was pretty hilarious.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, NotMySekrit2Tell said:

She's so insufferable--you know she was at the desk every five minutes demanding to know why they had to wait so long.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But if Leslie isn't able to say, stand or walk, just have her sitting down, like Raymond Burr did in the last of the Perry Mason movie-the man was dying of cancer, but for us, stuck it through. I'm just tired of the reasons for why Monica ISN'T in scenes she SHOULD be. 

I guess with this latest recast of Kristina, she's all but forgotten that her father is a mafia "don" Vito Corleone wannabe. Like others have stated, he was going to kill Johnny with that car bomb; had him beaten. I don't care that she didn't witness it with her eyes. She has KNOWN who he is and why Alexis kept her from him for the first two years of her life, until she couldn't. But sure, Kristina, beg the SLS to do something so Mooby doesn't have to pay for this, as well. 

I laughed so hard at this. There were no broken bones; he hadn't been shot. There was no urgency. His ass just had a black eye. The ER is for EMERGENCIES. But then again, in her mind, that pulverized eye was an emergency. 

Why doesn't someone call Phyllis? Maybe Mooby won't accuse her of turning against him? But then she disappeared, like over a year ago, right?

I agree about LC. If the Show needs to pick very carefully when Monica will be seen, then the most recent appearance should have been with all her grandchildren during Scout's birthday party instead of a non-essential one-on-one scene with someone who's not near and dear to her. I'm almost positive those birthday scenes in the Q mansion were the only time her first-born grandson, both of Jason's sons, and Drew's daughter have all been in the same space.

Kristina has known that her Dad is a Mob boss, but the circumstances here are different than what she's been aware of in the past. She recently heard Dex confirm that her Dad ordered him to kill Cyrus; now she sees him beating up Dex at a wedding and screaming about murdering him and Jason with a gun. She's also about 5-6 months pregnant, so her senses are more intense and her emotions are heightened. Her father then turns to follow her, invades the women's restroom, and tries to invade her personal space. I think any normal woman would be crying under those circumstances.  

Dex hadn't been shot, but he could have internal bleeding/organ damage from the kicks when Sonny had him on the ground. Recall how Lulu wasn't examined in depth for however many hours after the explosion because she could still walk and talk so she was assumed to be basically okay. 

I also wondered where/why Phyllis disappeared since she is supposedly so dear to Sonny. II guess the Show had no use for her after deciding Sonny and Nina would be a short-term couple?

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

IMO, it feels like Stella took her place.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
35 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

IMO, it feels like Stella took her place.

Yes, show can’t possibly have two mature black women (sigh), or apparently two hot black men (goodbye Portia’s brother and father, we only get Marcus). Love Vernee Watson, but really liked the Phyllis character and think she could’ve had many storyline opportunities outside of Sonny/Nina. 

Vernee and Jane had a few fun scenes together and as a trio of friends, they would’ve rocked.

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
20 minutes ago, Desperado said:

Vernee and Jane had a few fun scenes together and as a trio of friends, they would’ve rocked.

I was hoping we]d get much more of that, but with PM gone, I'm not really sure.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, NotMySekrit2Tell said:

I remember Anthony Zacharra astutely saying that Dante should just change his last name to Cornithos and be done with it with all the favors he has done for Sonny and family being a cop. Luke at least never or rarely tried to manipulate Lucky into doing favors for him using his job as a cop to help Luke out. 

4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I understand this, believe me. I'm still incensed at how Chris Robinson was treated and also Stuart Damon. Not to mention Anna Lee. But John Ingle wasn't the original Edward-that was David Lewis; and yes, Jed's second recast was an abomination; all I could see and hear was CC Capwell when he opened his mouth.

But if Leslie isn't able to say, stand or walk, just have her sitting down, like Raymond Burr did in the last of the Perry Mason movie-the man was dying of cancer, but for us, stuck it through. I'm just tired of the reasons for why Monica ISN'T in scenes she SHOULD be. And if Frank, that asshole, is waiting for her to die, dimes to donuts, she won't get a proper memorial. Well, maybe she might, as Jackie did, and not the INSULT of the one given to Stuart, even if Alan was dead.

And Genie and Jane are also original cast members. ETA: Oops. Forgot Genie didn't originate Laura. So Jane, then!

That was the BEST part of the show yesterday, aside from bawling my eyes out at Gonzo's departure. Dante FINALLY hit Mooby with the truth bombs. Not that I expect him to hear what Dante is saying. I expect more of "you've turned against me" mantra.

I guess with this latest recast of Kristina, she's all but forgotten that her father is a mafia "don" Vito Corleone wannabe. Like others have stated, he was going to kill Johnny with that car bomb; had him beaten. I don't care that she didn't witness it with her eyes. She has KNOWN who he is and why Alexis kept her from him for the first two years of her life, until she couldn't. But sure, Kristina, beg the SLS to do something so Mooby doesn't have to pay for this, as well. Will Anna hide this in her drawer along with Cyrus' statement about his attack?

But, back to Dante. Loved him finally telling Mooby he wasn't going to carry water for him anymore, and laying out the questioning, and how Mooby actually expected him to LIE for his whiny and narcissistic ass?

To end on a positive note, Michael Easton was just wonderful. I haven't seen this side of him in years.

Bye, Gonzo. Now I think I'll see if I can find Trapper John, MD online somewhere.

1 hour ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Kristina has known that her Dad is a Mob boss, but the circumstances here are different than what she's been aware of in the past. She recently heard Dex confirm that her Dad ordered him to kill Cyrus; now she sees him beating up Dex at a wedding and screaming about murdering him and Jason with a gun. She's also about 5-6 months pregnant, so her senses are more intense and her emotions are heightened. Her father then turns to follow her, invades the women's restroom, and tries to invade her personal space. I think any normal woman would be crying under those circumstances.  

Neither Genie nor Jane are original cast members. The last one was John Beradino, but they are classic ones from the golden era. 

What frustrates me and one of the many reasons I stopped watching is that Sonny will get no real consequences for what he did, and no I haven't been reading spoilers. Sonny straight up murdered someone, and he he got a full pardon, when it should have been conditionally probation if the show wanted to keep him on the canvas, but it would give him some sort of limit.

The only way I can believe that Dex didn't fight back is because that Sonny has gotten so untouchable that Dex was more concerned with what would happen to him if he laid out Sonny compared to taking the beating. I don't care if he is "180lbs of pure muscle," his old, nearly a senior citizen and Dex is a young and fit guy. Also, it isn't like Sonny is some sort of martial arts master, he only boxes recreationally. 

Ed Q at his height was never this untouchable, which is one of the reasons he was a more interesting character. The show should acknowledge that Sonny is far worse than Edward ever was and either have characters on the canvas (not SLS) take him down and be portrayed as not the devil. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Top marks again for DZ continuing to tell Sonny off. 
The scenes with Violet and Finn were excellent. Children always have so many questions but it’s sometimes impossible to answer them especially when the adult is grieving as well
RH was terrific today, standing up to Finn when she realized he had been drinking. The show has a treasure in her that sadly they do not see. We do though. 

• Like 16

Alexis: "Something about him seems familiar." Cute, Show. So, LD is playing the late Neil's brother?

"My own son has forsaken me." 🙄 Cry me a river. Another excellent day of acting by DZ, really outshining MB.

Violet and Finn crying together was heart breaking. But Violet has seriously never heard of a funeral? She's not a toddler! Also, really nice job by Becky Herbst with the facial acting, the shift from Elizabeth's sorrow for father and daughter to hardened jawline at seeing the glass of alcohol, open bottle, and the subtle sniff of his mouth.  Elizabeth's mistake was thinking that she gets to declare what happens next; he's not Lucky and they are not married. They are not even engaged and she's Violet's aunt not mother. The preview seems to indicate that they can't deal with each other right now while Elizabeth is fully triggered?

So basically, Joss and Michael think Dex needs to let it go or Kristina and the baby will be in severe distress/possible miscarriage.  

RS and AS made me tear up as BLQ and Lois mourned Gregory together.  I felt bad for Chase that he gets to be the one to tell Tracy.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

So, LD is playing the late Neil's brother?

Yes, his other brother, who we didn't see before.

6 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

"My own son has forsaken me." 

Like I said, Mooby's continued mantra of "You have abandoned me" from yesterday.

• Like 1

Pretty strong episode with some strong acting, which is so aggravating when we know about the backstage drama.

Violet finding out that people die in their sleep was such a relatable moment. I can't stand Violet, but the actress rose to the occasion. 

Elizabeth realizing quickly that Finn is drinking and standing her ground with him was great.

Dante telling Sonny what's up felt very cathartic. Kristina offering to testify for Dex felt that way too.

How many brothers did Neal have? His personal documents somehow end up with the not lawyer brother.

• Like 5
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

How many brothers did Neal have? His personal documents somehow end up with the not lawyer brother.

Two. The businessman or whatever he was that got in Alexis' face at his funeral, and another unseen brother, who is now appearing as Lane Davies. Or rather Lane Davies appearing as the other lawyer brother.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, PatsyandEddie said:

RH was terrific today, standing up to Finn when she realized he had been drinking. The show has a treasure in her that sadly they do not see. We do though. 

Indeed we do. FV has done his level best to screw himself out of having BH on his show. One of the podcasters was ruminating that perhaps BH should have gone to Days when she had the chance. One word: Alarr

I look forward to watching this episode tonight and the remains of the Mulcahey days.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Violet and Finn crying together was heart breaking.

I really like that they're having Finn be open about his grief in front of Violet instead of trying to be stoic.

11 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

So basically, Joss and Michael think Dex needs to let it go or Kristina and the baby will be in severe distress/possible miscarriage. 

Hmm, who else thinks people should just get over it?

"I hate that I asked my brother to make things right with Dex. It's so unfair to him." Kristina, it's unfair to Dex, not Michael. Good grief.

Sonny really thinks Kristina "got the wrong idea" about him beating up Dex? What would be the right idea, Dex fell into Sonny's fists by accident?

45 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Elizabeth's mistake was thinking that she gets to declare what happens next; he's not Lucky and they are not married. They are not even engaged and she's Violet's aunt not mother.

I don't think Elizabeth was making a mistake—Violet shouldn't be around if Finn continues to drink. However, Finn is the one who has to decide whether to take another drink or not.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Sonny really thinks Kristina "got the wrong idea" about him beating up Dex? What would be the right idea, Dex fell into Sonny's fists by accident?

I don't think Elizabeth was making a mistake—Violet shouldn't be around if Finn continues to drink. However, Finn is the one who has to decide whether to take another drink or not.

Sonny wants Kristina to believe he was defending himself from Dex's hand instead of that beating up Dex was his own choice/ an unprovoked attack. 

I agree that Violet shouldn't be around Finn if he's drinking. I think Elizabeth is right to be concerned. The mistake was the way she went about it. If she'd said, "Let me take Violet/why don't I take Violet and you can ..." instead of announcing to him that she's taking his daughter, when she knows he's mourning his dad and has been drinking. Violet is not Cam and Finn is not Lucky; Elizabeth doesn't actually have rights here.  When it's just been hours since Finn found his father's lifeless body, she doesn't get to declare 'I'm taking your daughter until I'm satisfied that you've gotten yourself under control.' (I would change my opinion if he'd clearly been abusing his daughter or was talking about driving somewhere with her.) She could stay with them, but in this moment when she doesn't want to be around Finn, she needs to call Chase back, have Chase and BLQ come talk to Finn and have them either stay with Finn and Violet or take Violet.  Chase, not Elizabeth, is Finn's next of kin and he and his niece adore each other.

• Like 4
(edited)

Ah, Gregory, it was lovely while it lasted.  

The scenes between Finn and Violet were well written and delivered by both actors, and Finn seemed to be totally with it.  But only minutes later, when he raged at Elizabeth, it seemed like he'd had more than one drink.  I was left with whiplash at what felt like clunky plot-point writing to me, and which took me out of it. 

We didn't get a preview of Tracy's learning the news, and I'll be disappointed if I have to wait for that, especially if it's for the sake of moving Sonny's story along.  I don't have sympathy for Sonny regardless of his med situation, because he's already squandered his first opportunity to turn his life around after being treated for bipolar disorder. It's too late to try to blame a relapse for all of his bad behavior, even if "bad" has turned to "worse". 

For the duration of the PM/EK writing team, we have been treated to unusual interactions in the form of conversations among characters who don't usually travel in the same circles.  I believe it's been an attempt to look for chemistry that has gone unmined for a long time---not just romantic chemistry, but possible friendships (like Tracy and Stella)---that might well yield some gold and add depth to the feel of the soap overall.  I hope it's not gone, but I fear that it may be.  

By the way----who killed Austin?

Edited by JMO
  • Like 4
26 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Chase, not Elizabeth, is Finn's next of kin and he and his niece adore each other.

I don't see what next of kin has to do with anything. Chase can be concerned about Finn drinking around Violet, and Finn can tell him to stuff it just as easily as he can tell Elizabeth to stuff it.

1 minute ago, JMO said:

By the way----who killed Austin?

I don't care, heh. His terrible story is over, that's all that matters to me.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
2 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I don't see what next of kin has to do with anything. Chase can be concerned about Finn drinking around Violet, and Finn can tell him to stuff it just as easily as he can tell Elizabeth to stuff it.

If Finn is able to care for Violet despite his drinking, the others can be concerned but have no legal recourse.  If Violet is neglected or endangered because of Finn's drinking, both Elizabeth and Chase are required to report it, because both are mandated reporters by virtue of their professions, regardless of whether they're working in an official capacity when they become aware.

• Like 5
(edited)

How can Lois and her extended family love sonny so much? Do they have any idea what he does?

Edited by ljr
  • Like 6
1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:

Violet finding out that people die in their sleep was such a relatable moment. I can't stand Violet, but the actress rose to the occasion.

I don't have any real problem with Violet, but other than that, I agree. All of the stuff with Finn and Violet was great - and both actors did a wonderful job, but that was the part that struck me the most. I found out that you can die in your sleep when I was pretty young as well, but no one really explained it to me like Finn did, so I ended up being petrified to go to sleep. It's a phobia I still have to this day, so that moment felt so real to me.

People talk a lot about the Violet actress not aging, but that flashback really shows how much she's grown—maybe not in height— but otherwise.

I'm glad that Kristina realized that this should be Dex's decision and decided to support him if he wanted to press charges.

I'm not a huge lover of Joss and Dex's relationship - or Joss - but I liked her conversation with Michael about her and Dex's relationship and how she didn't want to have one of those revolving-door relationships like Sonny and Carly. I like that at least one of their kids sees how toxic Sonny and Carly's pattern has always been.

I loved the stand-off with Elizabeth and Finn. It did feel a little like whiplash because he'd been holding it in so well for Violet, but it kind of made sense because he had been forcing himself to hold it in for so long, plus the way Liz went about it. I think she tried to be as gentle as she could, but basically announcing she was taking his kid was not going to go over well, especially when he's grieving and has alcohol in his system after being clean for so many years.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, ljr said:

How can Lois and her extended family live Sonny so much? Do they have any idea what he does?

They knew him since he was a kid and being abused by his step father. This is one of the more understandable aspects.

• Like 6

The Violet actress did great today, but how old is she supposed to be. I mean, she wanted to "take her flowers for a walk because they like fresh air." ?! 

It makes me crazy when everyone is all "Sonny committed a crime and must have consequences!" Yes, and, Sonny commits crimes EVERY DAY! I just hope Dante, Kristina, Anna, et. al. don't think being undermedicated absolves Sonny of his lifetime of crimes. 

Joss: I assumed Dex joined the police force to prove something to me. Gosh, I sound like an egomaniac.

Michael: I'm sure he wanted to impress you. Dex knows what we all know, there is nobody better than you.

Me: Jesus God. 🤢 🤮

• Like 2
  • LOL 7

Michael's expression when Joss said she didn't want to be like Carly and Sonny with the constant break-up/make-up relationship was hilarious.  Kudos to Chad (a rare compliment for him!).  Also, Dex's "I've had worse (beatings)...though never at a wedding" was a funny line read.

I didn't think Elizabeth was out of line with what she said to Finn.  She wasn't saying she was taking Violet to live with her, merely watching her so Finn could go to a meeting.  It's also not surprising he would immediately lash out at her.  Between Gregory's death AND already having felt guilty about losing his sobriety with the champagne at the wedding, he was on thin ice with his emotions.  I actually thought those scenes were great.

Other highlights were Finn/Violet's scenes, Lois's words to both Chase and Brooklyn, and Dante having had it with Sonny.

Speaking of him, massive eye roll to Sonny doing his Last Supper "who has forsaken me" take on his situation.  Wait til he finds out about Kristina siding with Dex. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

I remember Anthony Zacharra astutely saying that Dante should just change his last name to Cornithos and be done with it with all the favors he has done for Sonny and family being a cop. Luke at least never or rarely tried to manipulate Lucky into doing favors for him using his job as a cop to help Luke out. 

Neither Genie nor Jane are original cast members. The last one was John Beradino, but they are classic ones from the golden era. 

What frustrates me and one of the many reasons I stopped watching is that Sonny will get no real consequences for what he did, and no I haven't been reading spoilers. Sonny straight up murdered someone, and he he got a full pardon, when it should have been conditionally probation if the show wanted to keep him on the canvas, but it would give him some sort of limit.

The only way I can believe that Dex didn't fight back is because that Sonny has gotten so untouchable that Dex was more concerned with what would happen to him if he laid out Sonny compared to taking the beating. I don't care if he is "180lbs of pure muscle," his old, nearly a senior citizen and Dex is a young and fit guy. Also, it isn't like Sonny is some sort of martial arts master, he only boxes recreationally. 

Ed Q at his height was never this untouchable, which is one of the reasons he was a more interesting character. The show should acknowledge that Sonny is far worse than Edward ever was and either have characters on the canvas (not SLS) take him down and be portrayed as not the devil. 

Genie is definitely the longest-serving cast member, beating Leslie C out slightly. Neither of them originated their characters. But Jane Elliot did originate Tracy.

I have a feeling we're getting mixed up between OG cast members (people who were there the first episode) and those who were the first to play their characters. 

Edited by Auntie Velvet
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

I can't stand Violet, but the actress rose to the occasion.

I thought the actress did a very good job.She seems like she hasn't aged but the clips showed how little she used to be and even though she is still petite I think she is growing into a talented young actress. They write her too sweet but I think eventually she will be able to handle more.

That was some very good self awareness of Joss to realize she doesn't want to have a relationship like her mom and Sonny.

Edited by Blackie
eta
  • Like 4
33 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Joss: I assumed Dex joined the police force to prove something to me. Gosh, I sound like an egomaniac.

Man, I hate it when the writers acknowledge how awful a character's behavior is but instead of changing it, they just have them making these cutesy "inside" references.  And please note, Michael didn't disagree with Joss' self-absorption.

The Violet/Finn scenes and the Finn/Elizabeth scenes were well done and I especially like how protective Elizabeth is of Violet--a little girl doesn't need to see her father drunk and out of his mind in grief.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I know it's a fool's errand to try to apply logic to the plot, but two things bug me about the Dex beating:

--Since he got treated as a hospital, it's strange he didn't have to answer questions from law enforcement. 

--Wouldn't the most sensible plan be to document Dex's physical condition now, then have him report the crime after Kristina delivers the baby? I think victims have more leeway to report than a couple of months. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 3

I haven’t seen today’s episode yet, but wanted to say I thought Kristina looked gorgeously retro in her wedding outfit.  She could have been on the set of Mad Men.

After Sonny said “Kristina’s afraid of me,” it would have been great if his next line was “I should be a better man.” Maybe he should show some self-awareness.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I know it's a fool's errand to try to apply logic to the plot, but two things bug me about the Dex beating:

--Since he got treated as a hospital, it's strange he didn't have to answer questions from law enforcement. 

--Wouldn't the most sensible plan be to document Dex's physical condition now, then have him report the crime after Kristina delivers the baby? I think victims have more leeway to report than a couple of months. 

They could have done everything now.  The wheels of justice turn slowly.

Re: Dex's injury.  He could easily have had an orbital fracture, which would have been a medical emergency (and not left them sitting in an empty waiting room).  But would it have precipitated a law enforcement response?  Depends on how busy the ED is, I suspect. I have seen ED reports that say simply "gunshot wound" or "stab wound" with no other history, and no indication that law enforcement was involved.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

I can almost guarantee that Chase spending some time with Finn and expressing concern about Violet would have a different outcome than the stand-off with Elizabeth. Elizabeth is a) Violet's family but not Finn's and b) the ex-wife of an alcoholic. When Elizabeth was talking, her tone was of Lucky's angry ex, not of Finn's worried but empathetic girlfriend.

Finn and Chase have shared grief over Gregory's death; this isn't inherently Elizabeth's loss so she doesn't understand his pain. Chase and Finn need to mourn together and make decisions. Chase would not walk into Finn's apartment and just take charge. He'd say something I love you bro, I know you want what's best for your daughter and I also know we need you to be sober so we handle this together. Hey, my wife can help us by distracting her new niece by talking about what they can do to remember all the highlights of the wedding. *BLQ and Violet exit for however long.* If Chase or BLQ later suspect Finn is still drinking, not going to meetings and neglecting Violet, then he takes action as a worried uncle and police officer.

• Like 2

I understood Liz’ concern but her tone was completely wrong for the situation. Confronting Finn and basically demanding that he go to a meeting when he just lost his father, was the wrong approach. The situation required empathy, not confrontation. Had she offered to let Violet stay with her so she could have the support of her cousins and give Finn a chance to get himself together, it might have gone down a bit easier. 

I also liked the scenes with Ned and Lois, but they damn well better show Tracy’s reaction on screen or I’ll hurt someone. Ditto Alexis once her hearing is done. I’m okay if she gets the news by phone since she’s in NY. I could see her callng Gregory to tell him she won her appeal and having Finn answer and telling her Gregory is gone. 

im actually okay with Kristina telling Dex he deserves justice and if he presses charges, she’ll testify. Lord knows someone in that damn family needs to step up and stand up to Sonny. Of course nothing will come of it, but I’m still okay with it.

’he didn’t get to say goodbye.’ 
‘I want him here!’

man those lines definitely hit home for me. 😫

• Like 7
  • Hugs 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Call me paranoid, but I wouldn't be surprised if TIIC took fans' requests to see Elizabeth more and decided to write a story in such a way to make Elizabeth out to be a bitch. If she and Finn do break up, then it will be all her fault, how heartless she must be to abandon him when his dad just died, she should be more understanding about the drinking and help him get clean, etc. What else is new?

54 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

I understood Liz’ concern but her tone was completely wrong for the situation. Confronting Finn and basically demanding that he go to a meeting when he just lost his father, was the wrong approach. The situation required empathy, not confrontation. Had she offered to let Violet stay with her so she could have the support of her cousins and give Finn a chance to get himself together, it might have gone down a bit easier. 

I agree.  Liz was right but man her approach was really bad.  She showed zero empathy or gentleness.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

MASON!!!!!

Ahem.

Dante was on FIRE! At least Kristina came to her senses though she should have been thinking this is hard for the dumb box of rocks, and not the SLS.

Due to technical issues l, the last two minutes were deleted so I’ll have to watch on Hulu tomorrow.

• Like 2

Nobody can see that Sonny is off meds? He's having a manic episode.  

Joss has been screaming lock Sonny up. Now she's team don't turn him in? This is ridiculous. Good for Dex for calling out her in suddenly not having an opinion and she sits down. 

So they are going to move in 21 year old cousin of BL into the mansion now? Why not bring on actual Quartermaines to live in the house? 

Violet running into Gregory's room yelling for Grandpa was heartbreaking and Finn telling her after. 

Man, the Metro Court really needs to up its security system if there were no security cameras around to catch Sonny beating up Dex.

Also, whether Dex officially reports it or not, I'm pretty sure when he shows up at cadet school for his next day of classes/training his fellow cadets and the instructors will see the condition he's in. And I'm betting they aren't going to accept "I walked into a door" as an explanation.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Pingaponga said:

Man, the Metro Court really needs to up its security system if there were no security cameras around to catch Sonny beating up Dex.

So does the Q mansion, since BL and Chase can just walk in the door.  Who's going to protect those horrible paintings?

spacer.png

• LOL 2
(edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 7:19 PM, Desperado said:

From the beginning, I would’ve preferred if Gregory had a made up disease rather than ALS because the later is unbelievably cruel and complex for the sufferers and their families and a soap like GH would never have done it justice a quick end was the best option, especially as it brings in new storylines.

Gregory and Tracy were great because she empathized with him and was very supportive in his struggles. I don’t think the relationship would’ve worked as well if the character was a healthy man so I’m grateful for their scenes.

I’m certainly not enjoying any of this.  My father died on the 11th, of heart failure.  Like Gregory, he passed in the middle of the night.  And like Finn, I had that same experience of approaching his lifeless body.  The appearance of Gregory’s face is far less unpleasant than the real thing.  I skipped past a lot of it after that, as I’m not a masochist by nature.

On a side note, isn’t Finn’s addiction to that drug he originally started taking to treat his exotic illness?  I don’t recall him also becoming an alcoholic.  

Edited by Suicidy
  • Hugs 11
  • Sad 1