Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

I understand that they need to give Diane something to do but logically the death of her husband should make it even more necessary for Sasha to have a conservator.

They have so completely messed up Liz's story that I have lost all interest in it.

16 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I’m not so sure they are. Finn’s wife died from an infectious disease, one that he later learned how to cure, or something like that. The hook was dipped in venom, which is a different thing altogether.

So Liz forgot that she and Sarah were in the Mariana Islands but she has completely forgotten that they were there. And while there she or someone else pushed Finn's wife down stairs and now someone from there has come to Port Charles and instead of attacking Liz, is going around attacking people who are associated with Sonny (Ava, Joss/Brando, Diane). Riiiight.

7 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

I really didn’t like that either.  Since when is Maxie so pro-Victor?  And after a short stint with a good stylist, she looks terrible again too. 

She also pushed Britt into Cody's arms. Surely not even Maxie can be such a bad judge of character.

7 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Why does this moron think Linda Purl--ONE WOMAN who's just on a committee--can stop the project?

Carly thinks that she herself is all powerful and can do anything so of course she projects that on to her arch enemy. Well, arch enemy in Jacksonville, not the arch enemies she left back in Port Charles.

• Applause 6
  • Love 1

Liz's story is the PRIME EXAMPLE of "thrown at the wall" storytelling and making it up as you go. What the heck is this story even about? Wasn't Liz saying "daddy" in a little girl way in the beginning, but now she was on vacation w/Sarah when Finn/Reiko were in the same area, and she possibly pushed this woman down the stairs? What?!?! This story has no direction, IMO. I don't even care anymore. 

I have so many issues w/this Liz story. It's ridiculous! 

And could they have telegraphed Diane's hooking/death more?!?! She and Sonny have a good conversation. She stays behind to look for papers. Dex is extra suspicious. That hooking was pretty obvious. 

I still want my Nava. I really like them together. I wonder what Nik offered and what Ava wants! 

ETA: @statsgirl - I couldn't agree more w/you about this Liz story. It is so off the rails. I have no interest in it anymore either. 

Edited by lala2
  • Applause 9
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, lala2 said:

Liz's story is the PRIME EXAMPLE of "thrown at the wall" storytelling and making it up as you go. What the heck is this story even about? Wasn't Liz saying "daddy" in a little girl way in the beginning, but now she was on vacation w/Sarah when Finn/Reiko were in the same area, and she possibly pushed this woman down the stairs? What?!?! This story has no direction, IMO. I don't even care anymore. 

I have so many issues w/this Liz story. It's ridiculous! 

And could they have telegraphed Diane's hooking/death more?!?! She and Sonny have a good conversation. She stays behind to look for papers. Dex is extra suspicious. That hooking was pretty obvious. 

I still want my Nava. I really like them together. I wonder what Nik offered and what Ava wants! 

ETA: @statsgirl - I couldn't agree more w/you about this Liz story. It is so off the rails. I have no interest in it anymore either. 

I think Nikolas is offering Ava a huge chunk of his fortune(the thing he values most and why he faked his death for 3 years) and that’s his big sacrifice to show how much he loves her and that he loves Ava more than his money. And Ava being Ava probably wants more than the dollar amount that Nikolas offered lol

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2

Dex can't possibly be the killer. He'd be a moron to kill Diane when Sonny specifically left him to watch her. And he's already known to be around the first two victims.  I think AJ Quartermaine is the killer.  Because that's how much faith I have in this show making sense.

And if Carly's plane was cancelled because th eweather in Jacksonville was so terrible why was it perfectly lovely when she went to the cemetery?

And I know the world is small on soaps, but for Elizabeth to have possibly killed Finn's wife in the Marshall Islands (or wherever I've forgotten already) is just too big of a stretch.  And why would Finn think she died of a disease if she was pushed (or fell) down the stairs?

• Like 2
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Also Cam, Jake and Aiden via Steve.

Was Lee Baldwin an original?  Because then you have Scott via him.

Sure, I didn't mean to exclude Elizabeth's kids.  I mainly mentioned Violet to reflect Hayden. 

I had to look it up and Lee was there in 1963 (played by Ross Elliot, which I didn't know) but Lee was not his bio father and his mother didn't meet Lee until 1965. So, kinda?

27 minutes ago, Redcookie said:

Someone PLEASE tell me they aren’t gonna kill Diane.

I don't think the hooking actually killed Brando. So, if Diane doesn't die, this is the most incompetent serial killer ever.  I don't want her to die, I'm just saying.

• Applause 4
4 hours ago, statsgirl said:

She also pushed Britt into Cody's arms. Surely not even Maxie can be such a bad judge of character.

Levi Dunkleman?

Peter August?

And dare I say, Spinelli?

😂

Edited by BunnyFooFoo
Eta: If Diane dies, I riot.
  • Like 3
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 5

I'm sticking with Esme being the hook killer. She hooked Ava because she hates Ava (though Ryan would literally kill Esme for that), she targeted Josslyn because she hates her (good taste, by the way) but Brando got in the way so she hooked him instead, and she is now targeting Diane because Diane defended Trina in court.

It would make sense for Esme to be the killer.

• Applause 1
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

It would, but I like the actress. Maybe she will get locked up with Ryan but her not evil twin will come to PC and live with Kevin.

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I don't think the hooking actually killed Brando. So, if Diane doesn't die, this is the most incompetent serial killer ever.  I don't want her to die, I'm just saying.

Brando died by poisoning, which I’m assuming for now was done by the Hooker. So the Hooker could have included the poison on their hook when attacking Diane. If the Hooker isn’t also the poisoner, then she has a chance to survive

I found this info about Elizabeth in the GH Wiki: 

She is said to have lived in Boulder, Colorado with her parents and her older sister, Sarah Webber. While growing up in Boulder, Elizabeth said that she never received as much attention as her sister did and always rebelled and got into trouble.

Her parents ended up moving to Sarajevo to work as doctors there, leaving Elizabeth no choice but to live with family friends. Elizabeth started acting out, however, and left Boulder at only 14 to move to Port Charles with her sister and grandmother.

So my question is, when the heck was she in the Whatever Islands? Especially since we were shown a picture of her today, looking relatively grown up, with Finn's wife? 

• Applause 3
24 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

She makes the most logical sense because of who her targets were. Ava was only stabbed and not poisoned because Ryan would never have forgiven her for killing her. Joss being stabbed with a poisoned hook makes complete sense because of how much Esme hates her. She'd want to make sure she's dead dead dead. But I doubt Amazon sells tropical snake venom.

This whole storyline is a mess and we're only 2 weeks into it.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

I keep trying to figure out how they'd keep the Hook Killer on the show once they're unmasked/caught. It's like it needs to be someone expendable to death or prison.

I could handle it being Esme if the Hooker "leaves" and Esme comes back and the audience knows it's her but the characters don't.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Pingaponga said:

Oh, well then they're for sure not going in that direction.

I'm bracing myself for the killer to be Finn's supposedly dead wife, who faked her death and then started a new life in which she became Esme's nanny and now she's going after the people who hurt Esme. Oh, and also? She's a member of the Bell family and sent Cody to PC by telling him that he's Dominique's son, but that's actually a lie and part of a plot devised by Ryan, with whom she's in cahoots, to mess with Mac and Felicia. And also, she's involved in the Ice Princess plot (assuming that it hasn't been dropped and is merely resting) somehow, I don't know, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Steph J said:

Oh, well then they're for sure not going in that direction.

I'm bracing myself for the killer to be Finn's supposedly dead wife, who faked her death and then started a new life in which she became Esme's nanny and now she's going after the people who hurt Esme. Oh, and also? She's a member of the Bell family and sent Cody to PC by telling him that he's Dominique's son, but that's actually a lie and part of a plot devised by Ryan, with whom she's in cahoots, to mess with Mac and Felicia. And also, she's involved in the Ice Princess plot (assuming that it hasn't been dropped and is merely resting) somehow, I don't know, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

And she's in cahoots with AJ Quartermaine, or some equally long dead character where there was a body.

• LOL 1

Well, given that two of the victims were Sasha's guardian and the lawyer who would take over Sasha's guardianship case, its pretty clear that Sasha has snapped and is, in fact, the Port Charles Hooker. Ava was just wrong place, wrong time. ( Makes as much sense as anything else) 😬

Edited by sacrebleu
Spelling
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Mirabelle said:

I hope it's not Esme because I enjoy the character - every soap needs a chaos agent - but there is no going back from being a serial killer and, no, a brain tumor does not excuse one from being a serial killer. 

Except apparently on soaps being a serial killer is just a minor inconvenience and not just on GH  

See: Ben Days of Our Lives

Edited by DanaMB
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, sacrebleu said:

Well, given that two of the victims were Sasha's guardian and the lawyer who would take over Sasha's guardianship case, its pretty clear that Sasha has snapped and is, in fact, the Port Charles Hooker. Ava was just wrong place, wrong time. ( Makes as much sense as anything else) 😬

I'm getting my timeline mixed up and I'm pretty sure the party was actually before Sasha was "fired" from Deception.  But, maybe somehow, in the dark, the blonde hair made Sasha think she was attacking Maxie.  

But, killing her lawyer doesn't make any sense unless she wants to wind up in prison.

So, is there anyone who both hates Ava and would want Sasha in prison?

Cody might want to take out all the Deception owners since Dominique was a co-founder.  But, again, how would Ava fit into that?  And if we're still assuming that Joss was Hook Man's original target (which doesn't mean that Brando wasn't on the list somewhere), where would she fit in?

Yeah, it almost has to be Esme. Or AJ.  Im sure Diane was instrumental in keeping Michael from him as a child, and Ava did kill him, and Joss is Carly's daughter.  

Diane's the latest victim?  Can't wait for Michael to find out, make his patented Michael stink-face, and blame Sonny.

Also, now that Willow's in the 34th week of her first trimester, can we move her leukemia/Nina is your mother storyline along?  I'm going on a two-week vacation to Italy next April and would like her to at least be six months pregnant by then.

• LOL 14
2 hours ago, Mirabelle said:

I'm pretty sure AMC also had a serial killer with a brain tumor.

Yes, but they "cut out the bad" (a line which, as a recall, was repeated with great frequency), which reduced him to being an adult with the mind of a child, and then they paired him with an autistic teenager and when he regained his full mental faculties he pretended otherwise so that he could keep dating her. Probably should have just killed him off because it was all pretty gross.

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Cody might want to take out all the Deception owners since Dominique was a co-founder.  But, again, how would Ava fit into that?  And if we're still assuming that Joss was Hook Man's original target (which doesn't mean that Brando wasn't on the list somewhere), where would she fit in?

Maybe he's a genius and instead of just going after his specific targets, he's also going after random people so that the police can't find a pattern. Or the show is deciding on victims by putting a bunch of character names on a wheel and spinning it to decide.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
On 9/23/2022 at 12:53 PM, statsgirl said:
On 9/23/2022 at 6:14 AM, Cheyanne11 said:

Why does this moron think Linda Purl--ONE WOMAN who's just on a committee--can stop the project?

Carly thinks that she herself is all powerful and can do anything so of course she projects that on to her arch enemy. Well, arch enemy in Jacksonville, not the arch enemies she left back in Port Charles.

giphy.gif

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

I figured it out. You know that old game Barrel Of Monkeys?

So the writers write a character's name on each monkey then decide how many characters they want in a storyline, they hook together the monkeys and whatever characters they  picked is in the storyline, the storyline is picked a few ways, a Ouija board, Mad Libs, or the usual dartboard or whatever they use these days because they sure aren't using brains or talent.

Oh, and.Carly is in her own barrel of monkeys all named Carley.

There may be a Magic 8 ball as well.

There's nothing else that makes sense.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

First mention of Morgan in quite awhile. Maybe Morgan’s the Hooker! He hooked Ava for revenge, Brando for reasons the writers will make up later, Diane because same. I know it makes no sense, but that’s exactly why it makes GH sense.

Was that a picture of Liz and Sarah actress from back in the day? Hard to tell, because Becky never ages.

I think Nik gave Ava the deed to Windermere. Now she can walk around saying “It’s my house. Nikolas gave it to me.”

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

First mention of Morgan in quite awhile. Maybe Morgan’s the Hooker! He hooked Ava for revenge, Brando for reasons the writers will make up later, Diane because same.

Brando and Diane hate penguins. Diane even kicked one with her Cartullo shoes.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Like 1
  • LOL 12

How old are Liz and Finn? How old was his wife?

How could Finns wife and Finn known liz's father but Finn didn't recognize Liz when he got to town?

Why is this memory from 1997 making Liz lose her mind? She's been through so much .

• Applause 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ljr said:

Why is this memory from 1997 making Liz lose her mind? She's been through so much .

That’s another reason I’ve been having issues with this story.

After all the trauma Liz has experienced in her life, Peter’s death is what causes her to go over the edge?!? Really?!? I know the mind can eventually break, but I just don’t buy this Peter incident “breaking” Liz. Why weren’t her memories triggered when Franco was remembering shoving Andy down the steps?!?   

This story is beyond lame and contrived! They should have stuck with one of her kids - Jake - doing stuff because he was upset about Franco and her moving on or something. Or if they wanted to do a story about her parents, just bring them on canvas and do it already. I’d rather see a normal story of Liz confronting them for abandoning her than this convoluted mess! 

• Applause 1
  • Love 10
On 9/24/2022 at 7:17 AM, Katy M said:

And she's in cahoots with AJ Quartermaine, or some equally long dead character where there was a body.

Maybe it’s Franco, back from the dead with a fresh brain tumor. Or hell maybe it’s Luke, who will now be played by Roger Haworth. 

I know Esme makes some modicum of sense but why wouldn’t she have immediately gone after Trina? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

That's probably how they chose which stories to recycle. They put the basic plot points on a card" "A Webber maybe killed someone, repressed memories, maybe traumatized daughter is the killer" or "Carly and Sonny acquire another baby" or "someone falls into water and dies" or "serial killer with brain tumor" or "serial killer without brain tumor" and throw them down the stairs and whichever one makes it the furthest down the stairs gets used. 

Edited by Mirabelle
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 9/23/2022 at 3:53 PM, statsgirl said:

They have so completely messed up Liz's story that I have lost all interest in it.

I am enjoying watching RH not having to work opposite a 'reformed' serial killer.  

I am also enjoying watching this show for the first time in years probably due not having to watch Carly/Sonny as a couple - though I would much prefer not having to watch these wretched characters at all.  It's so continually disappointing that LW is featured so much when the show has MW, FH, NG and RH on board.

The past two episodes were also watched without using the FF button probably because there weren't any of the teen set featured.  Since OG Trina departed, Cam seems checked out.  Could have done without Brando's death being all about Sonny - at least we were spared the scenes of Sonny praying in the hospital chapel.  Could also have done with Carly actually being on a vacation.

As far as wrecking the character of Curtis is concerned - this is a healthy sign that the new influx of POC on this show are now treated just like veteran characters. 

Save Sonny/Carly and the teen set - this show has been enjoyable to watch.  Victor/Selena/Nina/the Mash actor have been solid additions and woven in well to their respective stories.  So yeah - while the writers have flopped on Liz's story(ies) and FV has screwed up with hiring (albeit perhaps he didn't have the final say) with casting the Willow/Sasha and Rory/Jason Jr. actors - GH seems to be getting its groove back.  For now.

Edited by sunnyface
Sonny
On 9/24/2022 at 12:46 PM, Steph J said:

Maybe he's a genius and instead of just going after his specific targets, he's also going after random people so that the police can't find a pattern. Or the show is deciding on victims by putting a bunch of character names on a wheel and spinning it to decide.

That's actually not a bad idea. I read a book once where someone wanted to kill his wife, so he killed two other blondes, then killed her, then killed one more.

• Useful 3
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

That's actually not a bad idea. I read a book once where someone wanted to kill his wife, so he killed two other blondes, then killed her, then killed one more.

I’m almost positive that’s what the DC sniper did. He wanted to kill his ex-wife but randomly shot other ppl first so her eventual death couldn’t be tied back to him. I think. 

• Useful 1
17 hours ago, Katy M said:

That’s pretty similar to the plot of “Strangers on a Train”, about 2 strangers swapping murders so they would be harder to catch

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
38 minutes ago, DanaK said:

That’s pretty similar to the plot of “Strangers on a Train”, about 2 strangers swapping murders so they would be harder to catch

It also reminds me of Agatha Christie's The ABC Murders, where the murderer killed people with alliterative names in alphabetic order - Victim #1's initials were A.A. Victim #2's were B.B. and so on. Turns out - spoilers for an 85 year-old book - the third victim was the real target and the murder just chose the whole alphabet scheme and the other victims to confuse the authorities.

Guys, this whole Finn's Dead Wife thing had me so confused. I was all, "wait, wasn't Coma Nina Finn's secret wife? That was a whole thing, does he have another secret wife?" I'm too embarrassed to admit how long it took me to remember that that was Silas. Not Finn.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, DanaK said:

that was an episode of CSI as well. (but it went wonky because one woman didn't think they were serious , so the murderer killed her too).

------

Nik gave Ava a confession that "he" killed Esme. Ava doesn't buy it. Ava makes him film a recording.  Nik gives Ava a Ferrero Rocher. (and calls it a truffle LOL). 

Poor Mac has to deal with his stupid supposed son. #MacDeservesBetter. Bearded Wonder is so guilty being "Why is Mac after me? Why do I have to deal with Robert now?" (note - Robert hasn't had said a word to bearded wonder). 

Baby Jason saves Dianne's life. Papa Chase tries to ward him off with a wrench LOL but when Mac shows up. Papa Chase is all. "Baby Jason did good." Alexis says "listen to Mac, even though you work for Sonny." Baby Jason doesn't take this advice and channels Jason "Do i need a lawyer?"

Robert goes they all have Sonny is common. But i think Brando is the outlier, because they were going after Joss and failed (stupid Mad Hooker) so it's also Esme. 

Val and Anna say they'd murder each other to protect their daughters but now Val is all ive been in super love with you forever. Anna smooches him. and they re about to have sexy times. but not in front of the fire. (Boo). Val says he wanted Anna for years he doesn't want to rush it. Anna says we'll go slow next time. AND THEN THEY CUT OUT THE SEXY TIMES.  come on Show. you burned Millowtonin sex in my head. You forced me to watch Carly yell at retired women. but you cut out the smut between Val and Anna?

(okay good. they did not not. it was good) LOL

Edited by Daisy
  • Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2