Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Got A Friend In Me

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

To air on October 23, 2019:

Dr. Choi and Dr. Marcel don't see eye to eye over the treatment of a patient's chronic pain. Rumors circulate about Maggie. Dr. Manning works to help a young boy, but she is challenged by his parents, who believe in only using holistic remedies.

If this does not match (as there have been issues with the database having the correct synopses), please feel free to provide a description from another source and I will edit. Thank you.

4 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

To air on October 23, 2019:

If this does not match (as there have been issues with the database having the correct synopses), please feel free to provide a description from another source and I will edit. Thank you.

Seems good to me this week. That's the same description that I've seen

• Love 1
On 10/18/2019 at 7:45 AM, Guildford said:

Seems good to me this week. That's the same description that I've seen

Same here. Dr Choi is arguing fruitlessly with another Doctor and Doctor Manning refuses to abide with a patients wishes. Add April looks confused with her head tilt sideways like a constipated Lhaso Aspo and you have described every episode.

• LOL 11
  • Love 2

Does anyone else like to predict who is gonna meet the Grim Reaper each episode?

Me, I knew the black dude with the blood clot was a goner the minute he mentioned his fiancé.

And Natalie had better pray her knock on the noggin has skewed her thinking; that's just about the only thing that's going to save her dumb ass when those two granola heads sue her.

Mind you, they're morons, too. There are other antibiotics besides amoxicillian, idiots. I broke out in a rash from one kind of antibiotic once, and hey, guess what? My doctor switched to another kind! Ninnies.

• Love 8

Dr. Choi is forever judgmental and apparently very petty as well. I still don't understand what his problem was with Dr. Marcel. He was acting as though Dr. Marcel stole his child because he’s mentoring Noah.

Dr. Marcel may be a little arrogant but he at least cares about his patients. The fact that he whispered to his patient that he would be by his side the entire surgery, shows that he has compassion for his patients. Take notes Natalie and Choi.

I still don't understand why Natalie is still there. Just why? I really hope this is the last we see of her.

Edited by spunky
  • Love 6

I am stocking up on popcorn for next week when Natalie is likely to face some consequences.  Those parents will not be satisfied with a healed child, which is how Natalie always gets away with being insufferable.  Sadly, I'm sure they'll find it's "not her fault" because of her head injury, but we all know it IS her fault because this is not new!  Natalie is always like this - she knows best and won't listen to anything anyone else says.  Granted, those parents are being idiots, but I will take that just to see Natalie held accountable.

• Love 6

This show just keeps getting more and more stupid. There is no reason for Choi to hate Marcel as much as he does, and there was no severe emergency with the baby. The parents were idiots, but they didn't seem to neglect medical treatment for their child, they just wanted to wait until it was necessary. Natalie could have easily given them some signs to watch for if they were uncomfortable proceeding with treatment at the time. They were willing to listen to what she said as long as she was respectful, but she just had to be pushy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

I felt like I was watching a comedy for most of it.  If Natalie keeps her job after that stunt, I might be done.  That was just pathetic that they will let her practice anymore.  I think they need to resurrect Ava Bekker to stab her.  It's obviously the only way she's gong away! UGH!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, SuzieQ said:

I felt like I was watching a comedy for most of it.  If Natalie keeps her job after that stunt, I might be done.  That was just pathetic that they will let her practice anymore.  I think they need to resurrect Ava Bekker to stab her.  It's obviously the only way she's gong away! UGH!

Who writes this shit?

WTF.jpg

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Dr Manning, holding patients hostage is rarely a good idea. As someone above posted, send the family on their way with what to look for if the kid takes a turn for the worse. Jeesch.

I missed the story about the bankrupt hospital holding that sick guy's records hostage. Did that get resolved? That seemed criminal.

Caroline, you are being an ass.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Same here. Dr Choi is arguing fruitlessly with another Doctor and Doctor Manning refuses to abide with a patients wishes. Add April looks confused with her head tilt sideways like a constipated Lhaso Aspo and you have described every episode.

Dying!😄

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, spunky said:

I still don't understand why Natalie is still there. Just why? I really hope this is the last we see of her.

I hope so too. Did Torrey Divitto get another role somewhere else? (I sure hope so). If she's not GONE because of this last and all preceding incidents, then this show should be GONE.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, spunky said:

Dr. Choi is forever judgmental and apparently very petty as well. I still don't understand what his problem was with Dr. Marcel. He was acting as though Dr. Marcel stole his child because he’s mentoring Noah.

Dr. Marcel may be a little arrogant but he at least cares about his patients. The fact that he whispered to his patient that he would be by his side the entire surgery, shows that he has compassion for his patients. Take notes Natalie and Choi.

Well I did find Noah's behavior a bit creepy what with him skulking around the ER. He and Marcel were acting like they were itching to poach somebody or anybody's patient.

I was very touched when Marcel did whisper in the patient's ear. This is not the first time they have shown him being kind.

Natalie has flipped her lid! 😲

Someone above mentioned Caroline. Who is she? Cee Cee?

Edited by ECM1231
  • Love 5

I don’t think that the parents are idiots to not trust the doctors in this hell hole. Look at the poor guy with blood clot. You knew he was gonna die. I am on blood thinners and the hospital treats clots very seriously. 

I don’t understand why the authorities haven’t shut them down. You have a better chance of survival if you walk into a lion cage with a pork chop around your neck.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

Holy Mother of God........this show.

Natalie is seriously close to the most pathetic character on TV right now. Those parents have every right to refuse treatment when even the X-ray didn't show pneumonia, the kid didn't even look sick. And her dramatic locking herself in the room with the hapless security guards trying to prise open the doors...umm you are hospital security you have these amazing things called keys.

Will, yes you are a useless Dr as well as a tiresome character but even you don't deserve to be chained to that clusterfuck. I cannot fathom how people actively like and beg for those two to get together. 

It's not even a comedy at this point, it's just sad. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, izabella said:

I am stocking up on popcorn for next week when Natalie is likely to face some consequences.  

Who are we kidding, she'll be whacked with a limp lettuce leaf and left to go on her merry way and break whatever hippa laws she is yet to violate.

Edited by Guildford
Just spelling
  • LOL 2

I don't usually watch Med - but holy moly is Natalie always that off the wall? How does she come back from that meltdown and kidnap situation?

(My original post was for the wrong thread. Sorry!)

Edited by cbsspecialreport
Wrong thread
13 minutes ago, cbsspecialreport said:

I don't usually watch Med - but holy moly is Natalie always that off the wall? How does she come back from that meltdown and kidnap situation?

(My original post was for the wrong thread. Sorry!)

to varying degrees yes, although tonight was extra special off the wall.

• Love 2

All I could think at the end was WTF.  I figure they'll "save" Natalie from her fate because she hasn't fully recovered from her brain thing.  Thus, it isn't really her fault.  Or some such nonsense.  Anything to keep her sorry a-- on our screen for another miserable week.

Seriously, though, can you even imagine a real hospital like this?  It's insanity.  Half the staff is (or has been) in bed with each other.  Nurses routinely call out doctors.  Doctors openly disagree in front of patients.  Doctors constantly defy their patients' wishes.  HIPAA is routinely violated. 

I still can't decide if the problem is mostly the writers or the actors. Or both. 

• Love 6

Is the show preparing for Torrey DeVito's exit? What Natalie did with the baby fits with her pattern but locking everyone out of the room to administer the IV was over the top. In the real world, wouldn't a doctor have a recourse to bring the case before the state child welfare department to argue for the child's best interest?

14 hours ago, Pippin said:

Does anyone else like to predict who is gonna meet the Grim Reaper each episode?

Me, I knew the black dude with the blood clot was a goner the minute he mentioned his fiancé.

As his situation unfolded I also felt that he was a goner. But anyway, the seriousness of blood clots is not to be underestimated.

Maggie couldn't hide her condition forever. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

That was me (I?). Anyway, I guess Caroline is called Cece by some cuz of her name being Caroline Charles. That seems odd, tho, as most nicknames occur younger. Maybe her birth name began with a C also.

But she was acting almost high. Plus asking Bert to dinner? Not cool.

• Useful 1
11 hours ago, preeya said:

I hope so too. Did Torrey Divitto get another role somewhere else? (I sure hope so). If she's not GONE because of this last and all preceding incidents, then this show should be GONE.

For real. If she's not gone then the show has definitely jumped the shark

• Love 1
11 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Well I did find Noah's behavior a bit creepy what with him skulking around the ER. He and Marcel were acting like they were itching to poach somebody or anybody's patient.

I was very touched when Marcel did whisper in the patient's ear. This is not the first time they have shown him being kind.

Natalie has flipped her lid! 😲

I think they were both itching to do something surgical and was trying to get a warm body who needs surgery. Dr. Marcel seems to be the type who tries to hide his feelings behind humor.  Yes Cee Cee is Caroline. 

Well thank the maker we are done with that sad ass "strong black woman/ unnecessary martyr/ I say I'm fine but im really not and its obvious something is up but if you ask ima be an ass and say I'm ok anyway" mini-arc with Maggie cuz I doubt I coulda dealt with much more.... So were gonna be rid of Natalie now right?  I mean this is like example 5907638 of her going well beyond the wishes of the patient or the patients parents to do what she feels is right.. and this time she was hostile.. Manic.. Dismissive to honestly not too bad of parents .. I had read a few comments before actually watching the epi so I expected some anti-vaxxer level of conspiracy nut parent... But based on what was happening to their kid... What was explained to them and their history.. I thought they went above and beyond their comfort level for their son.. But of course Natalie pushed it... 

I like Dr. Choi... I like Dr. Marcel... I've always been a fan of Noah and his Arc from lazy/kinda cocky student.. Into a real doctor and I guess on his way to proper surgeon... Now if he can get some learning from Dr. Latham his education will be complete.. As to the pissing contest.. It felt more like choi pissing and Marcel.. Just doing his job... And finally.. Good job Natalie your earlier freak out stopped will from calling the fiance who of course didn't get to make it on time to say goodbye.. Kudos

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Pippin said:

And Natalie had better pray her knock on the noggin has skewed her thinking; that's just about the only thing that's going to save her dumb ass when those two granola heads sue her.

Mind you, they're morons, too. There are other antibiotics besides amoxicillian, idiots. I broke out in a rash from one kind of antibiotic once, and hey, guess what? My doctor switched to another kind! Ninnies.

Last night was the very first time ever watching this show for me and Mr Boofish. Soon as the black guy had lines Mr Boofish said "he seems like a nice guy; too bad he's not going to make it"

18 hours ago, spunky said:

Choi should not have any problem with Dr. Marcel at this point.  Later this season, when April hooks up with Marcel it will be different, but not at this point.  They are telegraphing that future plot point way too hard.  

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Choi should not have any problem with Dr. Marcel at this point.  Later this season, when April hooks up with Marcel it will be different, but not at this point.  They are telegraphing that future plot point way too hard.  

Right!! Even April was telling him to back off. I can April and Dr. Marcel having a fling but not an actual relationship. He's way too much of a free spirit to put up with her judgmental self. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, dogdays2 said:

I still can't decide if the problem is mostly the writers or the actors. Or both. 

My vote goes to the writers

I've seen Torrey DeVito in other things (like Major Crimes) and she did a decent job. The Choi actor was good till they hooked, and I'm a fan of Connor and Latham. Oliver Platt and Epatha Merkerson have a lot of cred.

Its the writers who think that Natalie is all that, and that we're all just dying for her and Will to overcome their star-crossed status and live happily ever after. They're the ones who think that we're going to cheer on Natalie and April when they tell better trained doctors that they are wrong. They ruined Connor by putting him in a relationship with Ava, and then booted both of them out.

4 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

They are telegraphing that future plot point way too hard.  

Exactly.

That said, Yaya DaCosta is pretty bad.

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Choi has seen April making googly eyes at Dr. Marcel, and that's why Choi was acting like a dick with him.  I really hate what they've done to Choi's character, all because of April.

• Love 7

Can somebody refresh my memory on Noah?  He was a bumbling med student.  Then he graduated and was a first year ER resident last year?  So this is now his second year as an ER resident?  But he sees the smooth Dr. Marcel and wants now to be a surgeon, so he's doing his "residency" with Dr. Marcel?  Why not make it clear that he's switching residencies and going into surgery?  Oh, I know, because then they couldn't explain why he was still always around.

It's still pretty hilarious that Marcel is only a resident/fellow, yet he's operating without an attending surgeon in the room.  And he's supposed to be from New Orleans?  Is the twang supposed to make him more endearing?

Nat has lost her mind.  Why is she so righteous that she can't respect the wishes of a child's parents, even if they are batty and ape-shat crazy?  She's going to be arrested for battery next week and hopefully we don't see her again.  One good thing this week was we didn't see the creepy one-dimensional boyfriend.

Knew the big dude with the clot would die immediately when he said he couldn't reach his fiancé.  Why did Halsted delay making the diagnosis so long?  Leg swelling + shortness of breath = embolism (at least on tv),  But at the end we see boss saying there was nothing wrong with the delay in diagnosis.

I don't like Maggie, but the writers succeeded in making her more real by having her reveal her diagnosis.  The conversation with Dr. Charles' wife and Maggie was touching.

• Love 3

Now that Will has seen bat shit crazy Natalie in full mode, I hope he moves on from her.  He can still be a friend to her and help her see that the creepy boyfriend is not all he appears to be, but Will needs to let her go for good. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Now that Will has seen bat shit crazy Natalie in full mode, I hope he moves on from her.  He can still be a friend to her and help her see that the creepy boyfriend is not all he appears to be, but Will needs to let her go for good. 

I'd be willing to wager that's not going to happen. Natalie is a complete "nut-job" Will is half way there.

As mentioned previously, her actions along with possible law suits should be enough for her dismissal.

• Love 6

Everyone on this show is insane.

I think Natalie’s behavior is proof that she’s completely recovered from her head injury, because if this happened a year ago, she would have acted exactly the same way: locked the two holistic morons out, started the IV and administered it because she wanted to. Classic Nataloon.

Like everyone else, I doubt she will pay for this behavior in any way. She never, ever does, never has consequences, which is what makes the show insufferable.

RedWill is a clown. He has no credibility telling NataNut what to do, as he’s emotionally obsessed.

I liked Choi in previous roles as a bad guy in Tokyo Drift and on Chicago PD, but he is a weak weenie in this soap opera. His resistance to the obnoxious surgeon was borderline malpractice due to being a egotistical wuss.

The constipated Lhasa Apso description for April was brilliant.

• Love 5

There are so many things wrong with this season, hopefully, it will be its last.  Now, I hate to say that as I don't want people to be out of work but my goodness, what has happened to this show?   Is it all new writer(s) and showrunner(s)?  This show went from an A to F in as many episodes that have aired so far.

Agree with so many posters thoughts:  Manstead - they both should go.  How many times has Natalie put someone in harm's way due to her irrational thinking and Halstead saves her?  Halstead's as bad as he's had other people die on him with a slow diagnosis/slow action (Remember in S2, I think, when Halstead operated on the woman cancer patient who had a DNI/DNR and then he was sued and lost, or almost lost, his license to practice).  So they are both incompetent and deserve each other!   I, too, knew the guy would die before Halstead called the fiancee. 

This manufactured drama between Choi and Marcel - where did that come from?  Is Choi afraid he's not "top dog" since Connor's gone?  They've not shown any other tension between them but now, Choi seems to abhor Marcel?   Jury still out on what direction they''ll take Marcel.  One minute he's arrogant; next, he's kind and noble.   Yes, Choi and Noah had a relationship--mostly because of April--but hell, they're not that close and Noah was MIA for what, 1 or 2 seasons??  Speaking of April, agree with others - it's blatantly obvious they'll be a "relationship" between Marcel/April ("Marpril") just when she finds out she's pregnant and doesn't know if it's Choi's or his, LOL or 🙄.  I truly don't want to even think about that drama; PLEASE.DON'T.GO.THERE  Too bad Dr. Latham is MIA as well.  Doesn't appear he'll be making appearances anytime soon *sigh*.

I thought that was quite a miss with Maggie.  These are supposed to be her closest friends--especially April--and all they can do is hold her hand?   What happened to a group hug?  Presumed that hand-holding was the solidarity.    I don't mean to be cruel or callous but  guess removing the wig was supposed to be so emotional but it left me feeling unsympathetic.  Maggie - woman of many words, can't "use her words" or was this a picture's worth a thousand words?   Just felt the pitiful/pitying looks were a huge miss instead of her friends saying, "we got this", "we'll fight this", "we're here for you", etc.   

Dr. Charles - a control freak.  CC - I'd rather see Robin; maybe that way we would know what's going on with Connor but then and again, that might be too painful for me.  Just shows me what I no longer have.   CC playing matchmaker - seriously.  There's no one else int he great city of Chicago with whom they could have set up Sharon? 

The show is definitely lacking; the writers are grasping--on so many levels this season!   These storylines are pathetic, boring and repetitive making it easier and easier, for me, not to tune in.

Edited by cathmed
  • Love 5

I felt for the guy who was having trouble breathing.  He was so calm and polite.  Man.....when I was having trouble breathing once (I am Type I diabetic and had DKA) it scared the hey out of me.  I ran to the front of line in ED, demanded immediate attention, told them I had trouble breathing and needed URGENT care.  lol  They responded too.  I can't imagine lying there calmly as you struggle to breath.  Poor guy. 

One bizarre thing is that most ED department doctors are not going to spend time begging you to get treatment. It's offered, but, they aren't going to spend lots of time trying to convince you on something that not even confirmed.  IF it's serious enough, they would contact their attorney or CPS, if parent is refusing treatment for sick child that is life threatening.  

It's like this show doesn't want us to have good female characters.  Natalie, April, Maggie, please.....they are even trying to ruin Sharon! Why?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It's like this show doesn't want us to have good female characters.  Natalie, April, Maggie, please.....they are even trying to ruin Sharon! Why?

And let's not forget CeCe.  She shouldn't have invited Sharon's ex for dinner without Sharon's knowledge.  Sharon is a grown ass woman who doesn't need CeCe to play matchmaker, her reasoning being because "life's too short."  I know she's ill but I just don't like her and she should mind her own business.  

• Love 7
On October 23, 2019 at 9:09 PM, Pippin said:

I knew the black dude with the blood clot was a goner the minute he mentioned his fiancé.

I thought so at first too, but then when it was taking so long for her to respond to calls, I thought there was some kind of underlying environmental problem and she was sick too. Would've been too much like last week though, probably.

On October 24, 2019 at 12:01 AM, rhys said:

I missed the story about the bankrupt hospital holding that sick guy's records hostage. Did that get resolved? That seemed criminal.

No, disappointingly. It felt like the start of an interesting plotline that I don't recall seeing covered on a medical show before, but nobody even proposed trying to find a way around it; it was just an excuse to have the previous scans be inaccessible so there could be no clear indication which doctor had the right plan.

~

Weren't we speculating that Manning's creepy boyfriend is drugging her? It'll probably come out that that's the case, which will give her an excuse not to get booted.

Edited by Emma9
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, Emma9 said:

Weren't we speculating that Manning's creepy boyfriend is drugging her? It'll probably come out that that's the case, which will give her an excuse not to get booted.

Good point, but I hope that's not forthcoming.

On 10/24/2019 at 6:32 AM, icemiser69 said:

Dr.  Marcel is one arrogant son of a bitch.  If Noah heads down his path, the results might not be so good.  I hope Noah doesn't write a check that only Dr. Marcel can cash.

I hope Dr. Choi didn't allow his ego to get in the way, but somehow I think it did.  It is all about patient health, right?  Nah, not on this series.  It is all about ego stroking

Dr. Halsted needs to focus on his patients and let Natalie sink or swim on her own.  He can't focus on his job if he is constantly monitoring hers.

Natalie will be back, somehow she will be back.  We can't have nice things, so she has to come back.  Besides, they can't just drop that whack job boyfriend of hers story line.  At a minimum I think she will be suspended, even though I think she does deserve jail time.

Dr. Charles came up with the diagnosis of bipolar disorder for that patient so quickly?   I hope that patient gets the proper treatment she needs.

It seems as though Dr. Marcel's behavior is a defense mechanism.  When April tried to talk to him after he got emotional during the outbreak, he immediately cracked a joke and walked away. Then we see him whispering to the patient that he'll be by his side the entire time. He might just be one of those people who doesn't trust easily and pushes people away (I might be giving the writers too much credit).  I think Dr. Halstead was acting as her supervisor and not as he ex boyfriend. His tone when he told her she better be right was more of a boss who was just over someone's behavior. When I saw her I immediately thought of either a Manic episode or schizoaffective disorder.

• Useful 1

Why is it I get sense that Natalie won't get fired, on the condition that that she does mandatory therapy? They find that her head injury, though it was over 2 months ago, is what caused her inexplicable behavior of treating a baby against the parents' wishes. And while in therapy, she will finally remember that she was never engaged, and was going to tell Will that she loved him. And if the show hold true to form, when she tells him she remembers, he's going to instantly jump right back into her arms. Just a feeling.

It might be better if Will actually moved on, preferably being single, and Natalie has to chase him. But of course, Will can't ever move on from Natalie. He ended relationships with Nina (the ME) and Agent Lee because he can't get off of Natalie. So I don't believe this would be any different.

• Love 3

Hilarious thread!

serious question.  I know how bad blood clots can be for us.  But if a person with a blood clot goes to the hospital—- is this how they are treated?  They just wait around for it to go to your lungs and that’s it?? Isn’t there something that can be done?  Any real docs or nurses can you weigh in.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

Hilarious thread!

serious question.  I know how bad blood clots can be for us.  But if a person with a blood clot goes to the hospital—- is this how they are treated?  They just wait around for it to go to your lungs and that’s it?? Isn’t there something that can be done?  Any real docs or nurses can you weigh in.

I'm not a medical professional, but my best friend died from a blood clot at 26.  Her husband called for an ambulance when something went wrong and she was dead before they could get her to the hospital which would have been less than an hour from his call.  I didn't see anything wrong in the way the doctors were proceeding with the patient.  After the diagnosis of a clot, the patient was given heparin.  I don't know how long it takes for the heparin to thin the blood.  Unfortunately, the patient may have  been too far gone before setting foot into the emergency room.  

On 10/28/2019 at 11:04 PM, Diana Berry said:

Hilarious thread!

My boyfriend had a PE last November, and he was treated the exact same way. They just put him on blood thinners and oxygen and monitored him. He was hospitalized for about 9 days. They can do a procedure to manually break up the clots, but they felt it was too dangerous in his case.

• Useful 1

Natalie is always an idiot but by even by her standards, this was over the top.

CeeCee should not have ambushed Sharon but that part of the episode was kind of fun--with Charles so shocked. I really like the actress playing CeeCee. I hope they find a way for her to miraculously recover/keep living.

• Love 3

FYI: The bankrupt hospital holding records hostage was ripped from headlines. Happened here in the Phoenix area (technically East Valley.) Got a good bit of local coverage because of a patient with a serious condition whose treatment was compromised/delayed due to records not being available. I don't remember the outcome.

One of Mrs. Torqy's docs told us years ago to get and keep a copy of ALL your records, ya never know when ya might need 'em.

• Useful 2
On 10/23/2019 at 9:09 PM, Pippin said:

Did anyone else initially think there would be something wonky with the fiancee, like maybe she wasn't showing up at the hospital because she didn't actually exist? And his imagining her would be a brain symptom?

On 10/25/2019 at 4:56 PM, Ohwell said:

Sharon is a grown ass woman who doesn't need CeCe to play matchmaker, her reasoning being because "life's too short."  I know she's ill but I just don't like her and she should mind her own business.  

Considering that the woman Bert left her for died soon after they got together, I'm pretty sure both Goodwins are perfectly aware of this. They do not need CeCe meddling.

Edited by SnarkySheep
  • Love 3