Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Let’s Talk About Dr Phil the Show

Lola16
  • Start Topic

Holly, my husband only married me for money after two months wife, is all kinds of crazy. She apparently didn't understand that she was getting married. She would be one of these women who claims that she didn't know she was pregnant after not having a menstrual cycle for 7 months. What was happening with her eyes? They seemed to be going in different directions. She sees herself as beautiful but don't make the mistake of saying so because she doesn't need to be told!  Anyhoo, I don't know why she appeared on the show. She said unconvincingly that she would not have married her husband and wanted out after recovering her money. No, she needs to face the fact that a real good man is looking for a real good woman and she ain't it. 

While her husband was no prize, he knew that she had issues and exploited them to his advantage.

I felt dirty after watching this show. My husband has better character and said that he couldn't watch after few minutes and left the room. 

• Love 4

I wish Dr. Phil would clarify things better. That episode on Thursday was supposedly about whether the couple should get divorced and which of them was the bad guy (both or neither; he sent them both to OnSite but was going to make sure they were there separately), but there was an enormous issue about the wife that he should have said more about. She reported that she'd been abused in previous relationships, and at the end when he was handing down his judgements he said her problems stemmed from having been "violated". I didn't notice any talk about actual rape before, except when she complained that her husband had sex with her when she was sound asleep and he said he didn't. But she did say that when she was 15 her thirteen-year-old sister committed suicide! Shot herself in a school bathroom because she was being bullied at school! Well, surely THAT was the initial trauma that messed up the poor woman's life, and got her into the bad relationships and the weird marriage. I know people are driven to kill themselves and deserve our sympathy and sorrow, and if you're not a certain kind of religious believer you have the right to commit suicide, and a child is not fully responsible for the decision, but at the same time it is the most hurtful possible thing you can ever do to your friends and loved ones. It may not be what you intend to say by your deed, but you're saying "I choose death over my relationship with you. Forever." It will take some doing for her to get over that, and I wish Phil had made that clearer. 

• Love 1

The anorexic has an odd timeline and I hated how pissed Dr Phil got that they couldn't afford her $30,000/month treatment center. She was released from treatment AMA at 152 lb? Which is high end of her normal range for BMI? And she wasn't considered basically recovered yet? Dr Phil was such a douche, like "how dare you take her out of treatment when they said it was working?" Dude, not everyone makes millions a year. Plus she had been released from and relapsed after FOUR stints in rehab, so I don't blame the stepdad for being skeptical.

• Love 10

Dr. Phil  contradicted himself several times - telling the parents it's not their fault... and then lashing guilt on them because they wouldn't (couldn't) pay the ridiculous fees of the treatment centre.  The father was correct.  These places are only interested in helping if you have insurance. Once insurance runs out you're on your own.

Many anorexics  come from happy supportive homes.  It's their fear of food and calories that's the root of their problem.  But this girl seemed to be starving herself to make her mother suffer.  Plus she likes the attention and concern. It's so sick.

• Love 9

Having been severely anorexic myself, I gotta say I cannot stand the smug look on the mom's/step-dad's faces. That alone is a trigger and reason to be like "f-you guys". The parents seem to think the treatment centers are the only way help this woman--well, the family dynamic at home is where the real struggle is at and these two throw her into treatment but don't seem to want to address triggers at home.

I get that treatment is costly--no normal person can afford it (pisses me off it's the cost of a new car get a month's treatment).  Dr. Phil will likely provide a great program for her and hopefully she stays the entire way. Afterwards IMO, she needs to stay away from her family. She should stay away from her parents, get a job/apartment and surround herself with a good support system. My parents trigger me to this day, so I cannot allow myself to spend much time around them. It was a difficult choice to make, but they refuse to change so I had to do what was best for my mental health. 

To anyone out there struggling with anorexia, it can get better and it's hard when people don't understand how our brains work (and don't seem to want to try to understand). It's a difficult road, but it can be done. 

• Love 5

How many ads can Dr. Phil fit in a 60 minute show? 

Every time I thought he was going to actually say something slightly helpful, he went to commercial. Then he'd return from commercial, recap what had already happened, say 2 sentences and go back to commercial.

It must be a 50/50 split of show content and advertisements. (and that's before you add in the shilling of Robin's miracle skin care cream)

• Love 3

I dunno.  I didn't see smug.  I thought they seemed like they had got to a point of frustration and defeat.  

I do agree the girl needs to get out of the house and live on her own.  She'll either make it or die.

• Love 8
43 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

I dunno.  I didn't see smug.  I thought they seemed like they had got to a point of frustration and defeat.  

I do agree the girl needs to get out of the house and live on her own.  She'll either make it or die.

It's sometimes hard for me to read faces, but they seemed smug to me. My own parents kind of had this look with my own doctors; they had a difficult time acknowledging that my brain processes things differently and did not want to even hear me. It was like, "Just shut up and get better, we don't want to hear it or understand why or what triggers are." Ok, see ya. 

Conversely, Mr. Turtle is very keen on what goes on in my brain because we've talked about it extensively, he's also read books on the minds of anorexics. Family can choose to be helpful versus triggering, but everyone involved needs to cooperate and it's a life-long process. 

• Love 1

I can't ever claim to understand why anyone would chose to starve themselves.  But doing it to 'spite' your mother seems to be giving the mother an awful lot of power and making yourself miserable and unhealthy  in the process.  I'm sure we can all relate to parents that can drive us up the wall sometimes. 

Anyway, part 2 today.  

• Love 2
On 4/10/2018 at 5:43 PM, sempervivum said:

Yeah, AJ will milk his random witnessing of grandma's assault scene for as long as his idiot mother goes along with it. And poor Archer; what must AJ's wife have been like if AJ got custody? But since we'll never find out, who cares, I guess.

I watched this episode earlier today. It was implied that AJ struck at his wife once, so she left for her home state and no one saw her again.

• Love 1

Is anyone else creeped out by the number of dysfunctional adults on this show who refer to themselves as 'children'? This woman is 23 years old and has trapped herself in her parents home and care. 

From the looks of her, Mom is super concerned about appearance; I assume this has fed into this conflict. (I remember with bitterness the day my cute little mother told me that I looked just like my (300 lb) grandmother- I probably weighed 130 lbs. at the time, age 16. Never went the anorexia route, though).

I think the teaser referred to some objectionable boyfriend-very curious to see a guy who would be turned on by a walking skeleton obsessed with herself.

The parents have spent $100,000 over many years trying to help their daughter. At some point, concern turns into contempt. I get the expression on their faces. People with addictions use their "triggers" as an excuse to turn away from the very people who are trying to help them. This anorexic women is upset because her parents want her to grow up and stop being so self-centered and manipulative. She is angry that her mother doesn't listen to her. Is every conversation about her and the help that she needs? Does she show any interest in her mother? She is an adult.

There are online forums where anorexics counsel and compete with each other on weight loss. It is so sick but they take great pride in what they are doing. 

I had a coworker who wanted to be friends after work. In a very short time, I got tired of hearing about what she was eating that day and how she was going to get rid of the calories. She didn't show any interest in me at all. She only wanted someone to exercise with after work. As a coworker, she spent countless hours in the bathroom. The company fired her after numerous complaints from people who had to pick up the slack. 

• Love 2

Holy crap! Anorexic girl is only 23?  She looks 40! Her young former drug addict boyfriend looks like her son.  My suggestion for him ( and hopefully his sponsor's suggestion) would be run don't walk away from her. Your sobriety is more important to you than being a martyr for this woman.

Edited by Caseysgirl
  • Love 2

Does Dr. Phil get a cut from frequent guests or the products they are selling on his show?  He had Michelle Knight on again.  I am very happy this woman is getting on with her life & found a good guy that makes her feel safe.  However, she is forever selling various books or TV shows when she's on this show. My guess is the books must be published out of the same operation as Phil & Robin's.

I couldn't look at the anorexic woman.  All those bones popping out just freak me out.  I know she has a mental issue & I hope she gets help and beats it and gets healthy.

• Love 1

Phil waffled a lot during the second half of the anorexic case.  I think sometimes the prompter is slow and he must come up with his own words. The mother suffered from way too much makeup and heavy false eyelashes.  She could hardly kept her eyes open.

I often think Phil's guests are too heavily made up and stylized.  It's difficult to get a sense of who they really are.  And the 'talk over' scenes of guests walking along the street or staring into space are so weird and out of place.

The show needs a shake up in format.

• Love 5

Michelle Knight update was a breath of fresh air. I am so happy for her. I read her previous book and I am heartbroken that her son (adopted by another couple and Michelle didn't fight it) doesn't want to meet or talk to her because he's angry that she "abandoned" him. Glad she has found some happiness.

• Love 4

Watched the two parter on the anorexic.  Funny how Phil can see there is a problem there and yet cannot see that his wife is well on her way to looking the same as the girl on the show.  I was waiting for him to say something minor about Robin so the camera could swing over to her nodding and smiling face.  She is soooo not relevant to the show but he makes sure she gets some camera time if he can possibly help it.  Hisonjay must not have published Michelle Knight's new book because he would have fersure mentioned it.  The Phamily business is getting really tiresome.  I am starting to sound pretty negative but what started out as a meaningful and helpful show has just turned into a shilling of family interests.  Viewership must be dropping.

• Love 7

I know today's "Beverly Hills Brat" is supposed to be loathsome, but honestly.

Clearly, she wants to be the new "Cash me Outside" girl and she thought that going on Phil's show and promoting her entitlement was the first step. As for the afternoon of charity work, I can't shake my head enough. I knew that's what the show was planning when she got the call.  One day at a homeless shelter is not going to change her life or attitude and IT DIDN'T since it wasn't like the show paused so she could volunteer and then started up again.  Maybe a month or two of volunteer work would change her behavior, but one day, especially one day with a camera crew following her, ain't cutting it. 

Can't wait to see her and her mom in a decade when Brat won't leave the house and Mom just doesn't know what to do.

• Love 7
(edited)

I was kind of hoping that Nicolette would be getting a trip to the Turnabout Ranch.   Not sure if they treat Spoiled Brats but she could certainly use a few months of cleaning up horse poop. 

Edited by LizDC
  • Love 9
(edited)

Since Nicolette doesn't seem to want to foster a relationship with her mother, mom should give her a payout and a deadline, something like:   I will give you $50K for your use until you graduate - spend it however you want but know that after you graduate, the gravy train is going to stop.  Next, let her know she will get a one-time payout of $75K.  Mom has to be very clear that the brat can use that money towards college or to set herself up with an apartment while she is job hunting.   After that, it's cutoff time - maybe the mom can grow a spine by then.

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 3
(edited)

Nicolette was correct that it is Mom's fault. Mom threw money at her daughter and expected no personal responsibility of her just to get her daughter out of her face. I'm feeling like we're missing a huge chunk of the back story. (Mom said "I think it's my turn and I want to date," later Nic said "I don't get paid for babysitting." Other kids? Where's Dad?)

Online school? Really bad idea (missing back story on that too). Not helping her find a passion (other than shopping)? Another bad idea. I don't see this as the typical "I want to be your friend" mom. More like "I don't want to deal with your histrionics so here's a butt load of money, get out of my face."

@LizDC We live in a community similar to BH, and Turnabout Ranch would be heaven for my daughter (including pony poop mucking). Then again, she's worked since she was 12. A decade later she's graduated college, years into a career job and still mucking stalls to ride horses she can't afford (yet).

Edited by amacmom
  • Love 3

I’m only partially through this show, but I don’t believe a word of this. Girl isn’t a good enough actress. She’s trying to become the next Cash Me trash to Cash In on a performance she’s putting on. If she’s doing online school (I guess I believe some words of it<—-added: note, I literally was writing this as I watched; by the end, this statement will no longer be true as I don’t believe pretty much any of it, including that she’s of school age or that they’re related unless it’s that they’re sisters or have used enough of the same facial fillers as to genetically modify them to the point they might share (injected) DNA), she isn’t worrying about facing a backlash from her peers (who may indeed live the kind of lifestyle she desires but surely aren’t so tacky as to talk about it as she does), and if she has friends at all (don’t know if they get into that later (added: yup, they do, and, no, she supposedly doesn’t, expedited by a line she probably already has on merch, ready to sell as her Instagram (she expects) blows up with followers), they probably know she was going on as an act. Mom mentioned Instagram and YouTube wrt a job: I think that’s the only realness here. She’s using this to (she thinks) get followers and make money by being “an influencer.” IF she’s really 15 (more in a sec), that’s realistically the only job she COULD have (she obviously wouldn’t make it far as a child actor!). 

OHMIGOD the fake crying. And, she’s 15? Her face can’t even move when she fake-cries, she’s so botoxed. Yes, she’s acting (less than) 15, but she looks like she’s in her late 20s, at the least.

And I’m not sure I’m buying (heh) that she IS under 16: all the talk about her not having had a job might make the point that she’s not earning the money she’s [allegedly] spending, but it otherwise doesn’t make a lot of sense: unless you live in a farming community (or, where she supposedly lives, as a [child] actor), there’s really not a way for her to legally work yet! Sure, I babysat from before I was ten (hitting puberty early had its benefits), but I think that hiring underage kids to babysit is a lot tougher these days (when people get accused of abuse for letting their kids ride the subway, when, like, that’s how you get around in the city! Or ride their bikes without supervision, like, that’s how you get around (I assume) if you live in the country! 11-14-year old babysitters aren’t really a thing anymore

(it used to crack my shit up that my so-tough middle-schoolers has what was basically an after school babysitting program because they couldn’t go home to an empty house, when I WAS the neighborhood after school babysitter for practically a classful of littler kids before I even was old enough to go to middle school. That aspect, surely, is better now, but I also think something’s lost when a 13-year-old kid can’t stay after school because they’d have to cross a street without a crossing guard, rather than doing that at 7 and being responsible and serious about babysitting by 13. But that’s reality, and this whole focus on her not having a job yet, if she’s really under 16, is absurd, since even Back In My Day, you couldn’t get a work-permit until 16-17 (with highly limited hours ... sure, I worked under the table at an all-night pizza place to avoid that, but I was in college. And the sketchiness of the whole gig does demonstrate why there ARE (and were, 25 years ago, PHIL!—laws against that.

(Especially in affluent areas, where people can hire adult nannies with actual training, babysitting is out; I don’t think I’ve seen a kid do a paper route in years, since you need to be old enough to drive and to work wacky hours, and no legitimate retail place is gonna hire someone without a work permit: when and where does he think an allegedly under-16 outside an area with farm-exception papers should be working? Besides Instagram!). If they were talking about PLANNING to get a job at 16, and volunteering for now, I might be more inclined to believe this isn’t totally fake. But, maybe Phil hasn’t learned that child labor laws have become a thing since he was a roller-skating waiter, but you need a work-permit to do that even that shit now, dude).

Phil is just as fake, though: first, he says she doesn’t need to babysit (for the younger kids in this family that is just her and the mom and the Boyton), that she needs to work in the real world (fair enough point ... in a month), and then he criticized her going to virtual school (rather than using it that fact to, say, help question why she needs what “everyone else” has when she doesn’t even SEE “everybody else”). But then, even though doing family chores or attending virtual school are Baad, she should use Mysonjay’s Doctor on Demand which, imho, lets her avoid reality and beneficial interpersonal relations in a far more problematic way than virtual school (if complemented with other experiences) inherently does.

(Because he and MySonJay and Face Cream Turned Me Into a Plastic Lollipop Robin didn’t hop on the virtual school bandwagon quick enough to launch some DisciplesonDemand: I Can’t Believe I Can Count To Three school choice virtual charter crap. (I apologize in advance if he’s schphilling K12TheVirtualShelves.com school by August (Robin is in charge of naming, natch. And, promoting, with comparable evidence of its effectiveness as she is as the “face” of a skincare line)).

Ohhhhhgawd the waterworks (sans water) about not feeling loved, her parents’ being divorced, a job is hard work, and the “My bags are my friends” line? (But, hey, they did address the no-friends thing! Which conflicts with her living “with a friend” in a hotel for a year (again, if she’s really 15, Phil totally dropped the ball on that one: dafuq? Or it was when she was 18, a decade ago. Or the whole thing is BS) and the mom inviting the “family” friend (who looks younger than the “daughter”) to live with them and chauffeur her around (again, if she’s 15, SKETCH! Where is Phil’s trusty statistics about how single moms are destined to get their kid abused?!) But, again, a friend. And, if they were really so rich, wouldn’t they have hired people (that whole job thing again) to do all that shit? 

(Plus the Aftershow Special episode complete with tidy ending?) How much time did she spend coming up with these things? (In which case, she actually IS screwed, as there wasn’t memable moment among it. She coulda yelled her name out a bunch of times as she left the stage and gotten  a lot more of the remaining 14 minutes she sought (Miss Vanjie!) than she’ll ever experience from all those try-hard moments. (I hate myself for granting her any seconds of that quarter-hour by commenting on it).

If production ever believed a bit of this story, she would have been sent off to Mormon Horse Camp or OnStar or A Dual-Diagnosis Center On An Island On a Beach On Water Near Dolphins That People Would Kill To Go To Lookisntitpretty? Or something, whether for what she tried to pretend were the real underlying issues or for the personality disorder suggested in seeking attention that way.

Add in that Phil failed to rip the mom apart both for raising her, in general, and for her own claimed Dr. Phil cliches (it’s my time? She let her live in a hotel with a friend or a handbag at what would have to be, at most, 14, if we believe the timeline (whether it’s the Ritz or Motel 6 isn’t really the primary problem there, if that were real), having the same Botox injector?) to even a bit of the extent he typically does mothers who have put every (less-in-total but-of-greater-percentage, considering their resources) material and mental reserves they have into truly—if not always in the best way, often with the best of intentions and ability—trying to help and get help for their legitimately in-need child?

Nope. Not buying this on anyone’s end. I think it was a good idea for an episode theme, and they planned it and made a 209-page Maibs binder, but they couldn’t find anyone who legitimately had such a problem who was willing to put it out on Dr. Phil (even all of the Real Housewives types who want to show off what they supposedly have are doing it under the delusion that they’re being aspirational (and getting paid); no one with the kind of money they were pretending to have would expose themselves on THIS show like that, certainly not if they weren’t at a point of desperation for help for a child who needed a way higher level of care than a few sessions with a camdoc. Phil wasnt even committed enough to say, “This isn’t a (bratty kid) problem; it’s an everyone problem” NOR “I don’t ask myself why you act so badly they wouldn’t even let you into the Get An Agent scam workshops the way you do; I ask myself why not.”

Weird, though, that the super fake ones usually have their greatest tell from the bad fake-hair and other identity-faking, with sometimes oddly delivered but not both terribly performed and inconsistent lines, while—despite their matching fake faces (with lack of lines)—the “Mom” and “Kid” weren’t trying to hide their identities at all, but the show also wasn’t even trying to put together a plausible or cohesive arc. Maybe the show and the “guests” were just trying to out-exploit each other until it passed the line into parody and no one cared as long as they could hock the both sides of the Phil Phamily Phrauducts (which they did).

• Love 6
On 4/26/2018 at 9:26 AM, marionette said:

Watched the two parter on the anorexic.  Funny how Phil can see there is a problem there and yet cannot see that his wife is well on her way to looking the same as the girl on the show.  I was waiting for him to say something minor about Robin so the camera could swing over to her nodding and smiling face.  She is soooo not relevant to the show but he makes sure she gets some camera time if he can possibly help it.  Hisonjay must not have published Michelle Knight's new book because he would have fersure mentioned it.  The Phamily business is getting really tiresome.  I am starting to sound pretty negative but what started out as a meaningful and helpful show has just turned into a shilling of family interests.  Viewership must be dropping.

It’s not just you. I’ve noticed it too.  The show jumped the shark a while ago.

Before, Dr Phil seemed to really care about most people on the show. He did his best to get to the core of the issue as much as possible. He really wanted most of his guests to get better and improve their lives. He would send them to treatment places or counselors that had the potential to really make a difference in a guests life. In many cases he wanted close family members to get help too, and he’d arrange for that too. 

A while ago, things changed. It seemed as if Dr Phil grew tired. Somewhat depressed or bored perhaps. It was very obvious he had enough and doesn’t really want to do his show and his work anymore. 

At this point, he is a mere shell of his former self. An empty shell. A robotic puppet, of you wish. He no longer cares about his guests, or even the show much.

Right now, all he does is come on stage and read the script, kind of like a news anchor. He probably has a team of mental health professionals and a screenwriter put it together, and he just reads it. He’s totally checked out, and couldn’t care less. He’s become so robotic. Since he doesn’t seem involved anymore, the quality of “help” his guests are getting, has gone down the drain too. Some people still get send to decent places (in exchange for exposure), but for the most part, it’s pretty bad.

The only thing he still is somewhat excited about, is the shilling of family businesses whenever and wherever he can.

• Love 5

So..... dr Phil insists that the brat needs to get out of the house and in touch with reality and everything he said enforced getting out of the house .... yet when it comes to therapy , she should stay inside and go on doctor on demand ? Ok Makes sense Philip .. keep on promoting 

• Love 10
30 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

So..... dr Phil insists that the brat needs to get out of the house and in touch with reality and everything he said enforced getting out of the house .... yet when it comes to therapy , she should stay inside and go on doctor on demand ? Ok Makes sense Philip .. keep on promoting 

He obviously doesn’t give a fuck.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, torontomeridith said:

I know today's "Beverly Hills Brat" is supposed to be loathsome, but honestly.

Clearly, she wants to be the new "Cash me Outside" girl and she thought that going on Phil's show and promoting her entitlement was the first step. As for the afternoon of charity work, I can't shake my head enough. I knew that's what the show was planning when she got the call.  One day at a homeless shelter is not going to change her life or attitude and IT DIDN'T since it wasn't like the show paused so she could volunteer and then started up again.  Maybe a month or two of volunteer work would change her behavior, but one day, especially one day with a camera crew following her, ain't cutting it. 

Can't wait to see her and her mom in a decade when Brat won't leave the house and Mom just doesn't know what to do.

I thought both Beverly Hills mother and daughter were auditioning for a reality show. Those fake tears...come on!

• Love 5

Methadonna, loved your post.  Everything you said was soooo true.  Especially loved your comment on the living arrangement when she supposedly lived in a hotel for a year - her friend was her bag....... brilliant.  You know the end is in sight when you are getting ridiculed and that end is getting very near for Phil and his Phamily.  The viewers are wising up.  He is only there for the exposure of his latest venture and family business.  No one wants it anymore.

• Love 4
(edited)

I would no longer be a patient of BH mom if she were my dentist. She has poor judgment on long-term thinking skills. Dentists do okay but generally are not rich. I wonder if BH mom has money from other sources. Mom is to blame. Smart, wealthy individuals know that money corrupts some and do not give their children an open checkbook. Where is dear ol' dad? 

I don't buy that BH brat is doing okay in school. She is well on her way to dropping out. She needs to go to school. It sounds like she may have a learning disability or an anxiety disorder that prevents her from doing well in school but she should still go. She needs to learn how to power through difficult situations. She definitely doesn't want to do anything hard like make her own lunch. She is pretty for a teen but not gorgeous so she better dig deep and learn how to make herself attractive to other people. She looks old for her age and that won't help her in BH. Sorry, Brat but sugar daddies are not going to be clamoring for you and mommy's money will run dry at some point. 

No way should she babysit or watch someone's children. Mom can take her to the office a few days a week to organize supplies or clean up before the next patient. It wouldn't be as boring as making smoothies. 

Dr. on Demand - just no. That is too easy for these two. Brat and mom should have to give of themselves and drive to a therapist's office. They can use the time in the car to talk and maybe stop somewhere afterwards for a meal. 

Being loved is only half of the equation. We have to be lovable too. Just sayin.

I wouldn't mind having the G-wagon for the weekend. 

Edited by Showthyme
  • Love 4

I thought "Beverly Hills Brat" and her passive mom were there to show off how rich they are, and got paid to advertise that luxury car with the indoors that looked upholstered in designer handbags. I'm cynical that way. #SaveTheHandbags

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Toaster Strudel said:

I thought "Beverly Hills Brat" and her passive mom were there to show off how rich they are, and got paid to advertise that luxury car with the indoors that looked upholstered in designer handbags. I'm cynical that way. #SaveTheHandbags

I wondered about that too. Brat went on and on about the features of the car. And, this show is turning into an infomercial.

• Love 5
On 5/1/2018 at 8:58 PM, Aw my lahgs said:

It’s not just you. I’ve noticed it too.  The show jumped the shark a while ago.

I hadn't watched this show in ages but decided to  give it a try.  It's totally unwatchable!  Not so much because of the topics, although they're meh sometimes, but the lack of substance is mind boggling.  3 minutes of a scratch the surface interview, him saying 'we'll be right back', and then 5 minutes of commercials.  I find it distracting and frustrating.  With the short blips of talk, nothing really gets uncovered, analyzed or fixed.  What's the point?

• Love 5
(edited)
On 4/24/2018 at 7:38 AM, donovan said:

How many ads can Dr. Phil fit in a 60 minute show? 

Every time I thought he was going to actually say something slightly helpful, he went to commercial. Then he'd return from commercial, recap what had already happened, say 2 sentences and go back to commercial.

It must be a 50/50 split of show content and advertisements. (and that's before you add in the shilling of Robin's miracle skin care cream)

There are 44 minutes of program per hour for all shows. There is no need to have footage of what is coming up next just before a commercial break.   That is what bugs me the most.  

And please stop the long sell of Doctor on demand.   Just give it to them; your viewers know all about it.  Enough. 

The anorexic woman is not starving herself to spite her mother or for attention. That is a way to shift responsibility.  Hey, it’s not me, it’s her.  Dr Phil knows that but that is too big a topic to tackle in an hour show.  It would require extensive counseling to get to the root.  She has been through this before. 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 4
55 minutes ago, cynicat said:

the lack of substance is mind boggling.  3 minutes of a scratch the surface interview, him saying 'we'll be right back', and then 5 minutes of commercials.  I find it distracting and frustrating.  With the short blips of talk, nothing really gets uncovered, analyzed or fixed.  What's the point

this^.

Phil does present interesting topics and they should make for riveting  TV- but somehow it' s all blah and boring.  Phis says the same things over and over.  Nothing is sorted.  He obviously reads from a prompter. He's not invested.  He doesn't care at all.  I'm sure he did in the beginning, but he's just phoning it in now.  It's time for the show to end. 

And the ridiculous final few minutes with his starving botoxed wife pushing her face creams.  It's almost sad.  

They need to buy a condo in Florida and retire.

• Love 6

I will no longer watch the out of control teenager shows. I saw the one yesterday about the former drug addict who wants to get her kids back from her sister. Why is she going on Dr Phil? He had zero power to return her children to her despite his “mandated reporter “ cries. She needs to go to legal aid and find an attorney. I’m wondering what his next high profile case will be- I’m guessing he will try to get one of the Turpin kids on.

• Love 1

Custody sisters: Dr Phil keeps saying the government is terrible. But had the government placed the kids in foster care instead of surrendering custody to vodka-and-pills sisters, heroin sister would have her kids back already, and they might have had regular meals.

• Love 6

Dr. Phil is lately making me another Phil - Phil Donahue and the days when you could have trashy topics interspersed with serious topic. Even Mort Downey Jr. - Sally Jesse Raphael - Geraldo - Anybody?

• Love 1

This crazy sister is coming in lookin' like a drunk Sarah Huckabee Sanders and she really seems to think her shit don't stink. YIKES. I hope the former addict gets her kids back ASAP.

• Love 3

I know, I'm watching this right now.  That horrible woman is drunk and probably on other drugs.  She can barely talk.  Her reasoning for her actions and her stories about getting pregnant 15 years after having her tubes tied are ridiculous.  She's defiant and aggressive.  She not only doesn't need to have her nieces in her home, she shouldn't have her own children there.

• Love 11