Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: French Country in Texas?

If the furniture doesn't come with the house, what is Joanna doing with all the tables Clint makes? He makes one every episode, & they're always custom for that house & couple, so she must have a giant collection of tables somewhere.

For some reason, I think (hope) they must get to keep "Clint's table" and all of the other is for staging. Of course, I don't know how much they are charged for the other furnishings. I'm assuming the rest goes into storage for the next job.

My new way of watching this show works for me. I FF through the opening family segment, watch the tour of the three houses, then FF all the way to the reveal. So I avoided the numerous ship lap mentions and Chip's antics. I did notice that across the street from the new house is a business that had a sign "we sell bait" and also it looked like there is a metal industrial structure on the corner. That would sway me against buying that house and I wonder if they have over-improved for the neighborhood. But I liked the results. I thought the kitchen was too small for both a big sink and a smaller prep sink in the island, but I guess it works for them.

• Love 3

I also noticed an old crappy looking van on the side of the house to the right of the fixer upper when they were looking at the property and then it was parked across the street at the reveal. I too think this might be a bit overdone for that block. Well I hope it is safe enough for a bike ride!

• Love 2

If the furniture doesn't come with the house, what is Joanna doing with all the tables Clint makes? He makes one every episode, & they're always custom for that house & couple, so she must have a giant collection of tables somewhere.

That's what the silos are for. To hoard the Clint tables.

I'm sure he has buyers for them or sells them on spec.

• Love 2

Once again, I was totally shocked that Joanna was working late and the kids paid her a visit. Apparently, it's the visits by the kids that keep her going. <sarcasm> Basically, it's my drinking game when I watch Fixer Upper. I've already drank two bottles of wine. I could have a drinking problem but for now I'm blaming Joanna. LOL!!!

The children are cute, but I just want to grab those girls and wash their hair or at least brush it. Joanna's hair is always beautiful and shiny so she obviously cares about her appearance and Chip paid a small fortune for cosmetic dental work, but their daughters look like they dressed in the dark.

JMHO.

• Love 3

I get the impression the Clint stuff is negotiated separately beforehand from the Joanna stuff with the homeowners. I doubt he makes a table just because, unless Jo already has a buyer lined up and she's just featuring it in the show.

The reason I think this: there's been many times he makes something then a dining room table, like the island bar tops, those lathe candles, tables for kids playrooms, entry way bench, etc. Then there was that episode this season that he just wasn't in at all. That makes me think the homeowner's behind the scenes have already agreed to purchase his wares before they even shoot. If they don't want a table, they negotiate nothing or something else.

I really liked the outside of the house with the porch & blue color.

I agree. Loved, loved, loved the front door.  Also liked the blue base cabinets in the kitchen, which is totally on trend.

Yes, I remember in season 1 how the focus was on finding a run-down house in a good neighborhood. This neighborhood definitely looked sketchy.

I FF through a lot of Chip's antics, but I enjoyed him trying to convince Joanne to do the little coffee bar shelf around that chimney.  Very cute.  They do really seem to enjoy one another, which is more than can be said for many couples.

I thought the $2500 would've been better spent on wrapping the porch posts in the brick instead of the built in bench in the dining room.  But I often question the homeowners choices in those 'pick one of three' segments. I also felt bad for the woman in this week's episode because of her pit stains. 

• Love 2

Am I the only one who doesn't buy into this whole shiplap excitement?  I think it was the house of the couple who had the daughters at Baylor that had almost entirely shiplap on the walls?  It might be a fun accent around a fireplace or something.  But room after room of the stuff makes me feel like you painted the walls of an abandoned shack and are going to try to live in it.  Yuck.     

• Love 8

But room after room of the stuff makes me feel like you painted the walls of an abandoned shack and are going to try to live in it.

Good description of the shiplap. It reminds me of painted paneling.

Joanna acts like it's all "historic" or "quaint" or something.

• Love 1

I am okay with the shiplap on a vintage house - it is a unique local building feature, nonexistent in my part of the country. Shiplap on a modern house as something other than a wall accent, not so much. Of course, I have ripped out lathe and plaster and replaced it with drywall before, so I am not entirely about the "keep it vintage" thing.

ETA: Provided the wall behind it is well insulated, Waco weather in the summer looks unbearable.

Edited by WildPlum
  • Love 2

Some of these episodes feature houses in what look to be nice neighborhoods that fit in with one of Joanna's statements in the beginning of each episode about finding a house in a good neighborhood that just needs some work. But the little glimpses you got tonight of the other houses and the area (overgrown lots, run-down houses, commercial dumpsters on the other street) make me wonder about the neighborhood. (The big "NOTICE - property under 24 hour surveillance" sign while it was under construction made me a little nervous about the neighborhood.)

They took a $35,000 house, took it back to then foundation and a few lone stud walls and then rebuilt it and when they are done they have THE most expensive house in a neighborhood by how much? If houses in the area in better condition are going for, say $100,000, and you now have a $275,000 house in the same neighborhood, you've made a financially unwise decision. Sure, you might get exactly the house that you want, but you've badly overbuilt for the neighborhood. What happens when your job transfers you or you need to sell?

I was wondering the exact same thing.  This house was gorgeous when they were done but even if the other homes around it are worth 3 times what they initially paid for their house, they are still overimproved by at least $100K. 

That said, I absolutely loved the kitchen - - the blue cabinets were gorgeous - - , the bathroom and the wife's office.  Beautiful.

• Love 1

... I also felt bad for the woman in this week's episode because of her pit stains. 

I gag when Chip's shirt is all sweat stained and he throws his arm across JoJo's shoulder. She often gets a look of disgust on her face and I seriously wouldn't blame her if she decked him.

• Love 1

Another beautiful house with a coastal theme by Chip & Joanna. I thought everything looked great except for the huge pendant lights over the island bar. They were beautiful but seemed way too big to me. And, Clint made a bar instead of a table. Yay!!!

(edited)

"Why, I do believe I have been in this neighborhood before, why look! that's my grandparent's house! I am ever so surprised! Are you surprised Chip & Joanna? I'm not sure which house we will purchase though, my grandparents house may not be right for us, maybe one of the other two houses would be better"

You're right show, the viewers are all morons, you fooled all of us. Not.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 4

This couple irritated me for reasons I can't put my finger on. Maybe it was wanting a 4 bedroom home for a family with one 18-yo kid who's probably going to Baylor? Maybe it's another middle-aged dude who just can't be without a dedicated music room? Or the desire to have a beachy-looking home in Waco?  

Oh, wait, it was the pretending not to know where your grandmother's house was - the one she lived in until she died. And that it was for sale. Or that it was likely just given to you or sold to you cheaply. Those shenanigans piss me off for the entire show.

"Do you think grandmom is looking down on this and happy?"

"Nah. You painted her bricks blue."

• Love 6

I'm curious. I understand the house is staged for the final reveal, then that stuff is removed and the homeowner's furnishings come in. I'm curious as to what happens to all of the nail holes in the walls from the hanging stuff. Does anyone know?

• Love 2

I'm curious about something as well.  Why does Joanna go out of her way sometimes to search for taste-specific decor (in this case, the beach theme) if the clients don't get to keep anything?  Seems wasteful (of time and money) to me.

• Love 3

I was amused to listen to the part of the reveal where they show "her" the kitchen - when he'd already said he does the cooking. "But you are the woman! You must care the most about the kitchen!" Clearly not.

And as for dedicated music rooms: hey, we have a music room too, wouldn't be without one, and we are older than the couple on tonight's show. It certainly isn't a "man cave" (no TV, no bar, no comfy sofa, just a lot of instruments and recording equipment). Even though I am often one of the people in there making the noise, BELIEVE ME, it is nice to be able to shut the door and not have to listen to the same solo over and over and over and over. For a lot of people making music and performing isn't something you outgrow.

• Love 2

I thought everything looked great except for the huge pendant lights over the island bar. They were beautiful but seemed way too big to me.

JoJo often uses pendant lights that are overly large and out of proportion for the space. The dining room table was also so long that it looks like chairs wouldn't fit at either end of it. And it was really cheesy looking--as were other staged items such as the bedside tables with spindly metals legs.

I hate it when garages are turned into living spaces. The Texas climate is tough on automobile finishes. Hopefully, the homeowners will add at least a carport in the future.

I'm curious. I understand the house is staged for the final reveal, then that stuff is removed and the homeowner's furnishings come in. I'm curious as to what happens to all of the nail holes in the walls from the hanging stuff. Does anyone know?

I've wondered about this too. I remember watching an episode of Rehab Addict where they had fixed & painted all the walls of the room, & they showed Nicole hanging some pictures & she must have moved things around on that wall a billion times because the nice fresh wall had about 20 holes in it. I really had to wonder if she was going to fix the whole wall again when she took out her staging stuff. 

• Love 2

I have started googling the buyers as soon as the episode starts. Here's the scoop on music room guy: http://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/waco-businessman-aims-to-join-emerging-downtown-entertainment-scene-with/article_01a02706-28cc-5ede-9385-ff2121e1e64c.html?mode=jqm

Sorry that I don't know how to condense that link into a word or two. If music is your thing, nothing wrong with having a music room.

But that ridiculous "who knew! This neighborhood looks familiar! Oh! My grandma lived in this exact house" is such b.s. Just be upfront and say that the homeowner wants to update grandma's house. I guess Hewitt, TX is SO large that the wife forgot/had no idea where grandma's house was located. Ok....well, I went to BU and Hewitt is not that large, so, yes, b.s. on that.

Spare us the home search on this episode and PLEASE spare us Chip dancing and grinding topless while JoJo sprays him with the hose. Is no one else wondering why this should be a part of an HGTV show? Where is my brain bleach?

JoJo has decorating skills and topless, flabby Chip and his crew have renovation skills. Can we please stick with those positives and have everyone keep their clothes on?

• Love 3

The children are cute, but I just want to grab those girls and wash their hair or at least brush it. Joanna's hair is always beautiful and shiny so she obviously cares about her appearance and Chip paid a small fortune for cosmetic dental work, but their daughters look like they dressed in the dark.

JMHO.

I know that those dresses the girls wear are probably expensive boutique pieces or expensive Etsy purchases and I wonder: why pay that much for hideous? They look like ragamuffin castoffs from a 70s afterschool special most of the time. And please, brush their hair or get it cut. Both girls tend to look like they are badly in need of a shower and haircare, STAT.

Confession:

I think that 3 out of 4 Gaines kids got hit with the ugly stick. You can decide who they are. :P

• Love 2

The only thing I can think on for the Grandmother's house is that a realtor took the family to show the house originally and they didn't realize the address was Grandma's house until they pulled up. Especially since it seems like it was sold between Grandmother and Granddaughter. Chip & Jo recreated that story for TV. I know I would recognize my grandmother's house, but I don't know the exact address.

• Love 1

I don't watch these first run because they are sooooooo repetitive, but saw this one on the rerun and noticed two things:

1) the customers must have some real dirt on Joanne because they kept her from knocking down the short wall separating their dining room from the front door. So they could have a foyer. So that every salesman/Jehovah's Witness/politician who knocks at their door, can't see everything in the home unless invited in.

2) Chip actually made a call of doom to the customers! Their reaction was priceless: "Well it sounds like a lot of money, but I guess we really need a sewage pipe."

• Love 2
(edited)

Confession:

I think that 3 out of 4 Gaines kids got hit with the ugly stick. You can decide who they are. :P

What? Are you looking at different kids than I am? Her kids are really cute and I think her daughters are going to be gorgeous.

Also, I really don't know what the heck you're talking about with their hair. 

Edited to add that I'm not even the kind who goes gaga over kids. In general, I'm happiest when they're not on the tv because I'm watching a design show, not a kid show. But I think their kids are well-behaved and attractive.

Edited by txvoodoo
  • Love 18

"Why, I do believe I have been in this neighborhood before, why look! that's my grandparent's house! I am ever so surprised! Are you surprised Chip & Joanna? I'm not sure which house we will purchase though, my grandparents house may not be right for us, maybe one of the other two houses would be better"

You're right show, the viewers are all morons, you fooled all of us. Not.

THIS.  It made me crazy.  Totally anticlimactic when Grandma's house is shown second; at least show it last so we can still think house 1 or 2 is an option.

Frankly, I would be perfectly okay if they did away with the supposed house search in the beginning.  We all know the homeowners already have the house.  Just show us what they have, give us the budget and design plan and let us see the end result.

• Love 3

WTF was that tonight?!?  Why wasn't the show upfront and honest about the developer having bought the shotgun house land?  Why did they bother moving the house only to utterly gut it?  Why did the finished product look NOTHING like the original?  As new construction, it was quite nice as small houses go.  As a renovation of an old house that supposedly had charm or character or something, it was a desecration.  I honestly don't understand the point of going to all that trouble when there was nothing left of the old house by the end except the little frame of a square foot of wallpaper "from like 1900 or something."

• Love 5

WTF was that tonight?!?  Why wasn't the show upfront and honest about the developer having bought the shotgun house land?  Why did they bother moving the house only to utterly gut it?  Why did the finished product look NOTHING like the original?  As new construction, it was quite nice as small houses go.  As a renovation of an old house that supposedly had charm or character or something, it was a desecration.  I honestly don't understand the point of going to all that trouble when there was nothing left of the old house by the end except the little frame of a square foot of wallpaper "from like 1900 or something."

No kidding! At the beginning I was okay, finally a real fixer, only to end with a tiny rebuild. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot indeed!

• Love 2
(edited)

I found an article about the Bell's side of things with the moving and demolition.

http://m.wacotrib.com/news/downtown_waco/old-shotgun-house-is-new-neighbor-on-fast-changing-downtown/article_5d721671-f9c3-5f3d-81e8-a130cda54e7a.html?mode=jqm

I also found another one that was written after the renovation was completed that has some pictures of what it looks like without Jo's touches. It also says they blew past the $100,000 budget with all the finishes. That was interesting to me.

http://m.wacotrib.com/news/city_of_waco/policy-allowing-skinny-house-lots-in-heart-of-waco-gains/article_a2f452e5-ed4f-527a-b293-e6d66b61402e.html?mode=jqm

The only satisfaction I got from tonight is that Nicole Curtis is having a seizure, somewhere, over what that house looked like in the end.

Edited by Saylii
  • Love 3

I can't wrap my head around spending time, effort and money moving that rickety pile of crap. Doesn't make more sense to demolish it on site, salvaging the good bits? Then rebuild the floorplan from scratch on the new site? They altered the original so much - took off the roof, raised ceilings, added the loft etc. so it's not like it was a historic preservation. Maybe I'm missing something.

Chip needs to lay off the hair gel.

• Love 1

I agree with everyone, WTF was that? Why would they want to move that falling down house? They basically rebuilt it from scratch, why waste time & money to move it? I don't remember them telling us how much the land was that they bought, & did they skip Chips rundown of the costs at the end? My DVR cut out so I'm not sure if I missed it or they didn't have it.

I agree with everyone, WTF was that? Why would they want to move that falling down house? They basically rebuilt it from scratch, why waste time & money to move it? I don't remember them telling us how much the land was that they bought, & did they skip Chips rundown of the costs at the end? My DVR cut out so I'm not sure if I missed it or they didn't have it.

It was $31,000 for the land. $5,000 to move.

• Love 2

Didn't Chip say they poured a foundation on the new spot? Those articles said it was put concrete piers. I can't believe Magnolia wasn't mentioned at all. I guess Chip didn't discover the pine floors after all. I hate that loft ladder pulley thing. It's gonna get tangled.

• Love 1

In those two Waco news stories Magnolia Homes wasn't mentioned at all. Not good for business I'm sure. Dude Bell talked like he did it all himself.......

I noticed that as well. I wondered what's up with that...maybe the reporter isn't dazzled by the Chipster's new teeth.

I hate that loft ladder pulley thing. It's gonna get tangled.

It just seems like a lot of effort to get to the loft. Was there not enough space to build a spiral staircase?

I'm really surprised that the house didn't fall apart while it was being loaded on the flatbed truck or in transit.

• Love 2

After reading those articles it makes you wonder if Joanna and Chip had anything to do with the project. Maybe she didn't even do the design. That makes me wonder how many of the episodes were like that.

• Love 1

Maybe there was some sort of NDA in place, since the stories were published months before the episode aired. But yeah, dude Bell...you did this all yourself. Yup.

Even though my mind is boggled over tiny houses (they couldn't even show their guests in the house at the end of the episode because it was too small!) I liked what they did except for that pulley. I wonder why they couldn't have a more efficient pulley?

And the kids are adorable. I'd rather them look like they'd been playing outside and having fun than all primped and polished for the camera.

• Love 2

I've found some other sources online that talk about Chip and Jo's involvement in the project, so I think that part was legit. I think it's hard to say whose ideas were what since this was a weird project with blurry lines.

Here's an article about the three families that moved to Waco this season. The Bells are one of the couples interviewed:

http://www.wacoan.com/miles-to-magnolia/

Then here's a blog written by one of the parents of the Bells that answers some questions loosely in the comments:

http://masterofhort.com/2016/03/fixer-upper/#comments

When the Most Eligible Bachelor got choked up at the end, and said it was like walking into his dream, I lost my shit.  He just seemed so nice throughout the whole process, and I loved what they did with his house, so I was already primed to get a little misty at the reveal, but dang.  Sweet and adorable.

I thought he was cute as could be. Called my single GF and told her that her husband was on Fixer Upper. She thought he was too plain and boring. She's still in the bartender who wants to be a rock star stage...so there you go.  But, anyway,  I liked the final result with the interior of his house. The darker woods Jo used were nice.

I enjoy this show. The corniness, predictability and Chip/JoJo/kiddos myth making is strangely soothing to me.

Are the silos going to serve any purpose besides being a visual focal point?

That's all I got.

• Love 6

I liked that small house with the Smeg fridge. I want that fridge. However, the "draw bridge stairs"  seem a bad design, very impractical and noisy to move.

I think their kids are lovely and look like kids that get to play outside and have fun.  They don't need to look like tiny primped super models IMO.

• Love 3

What goes through an adults head that makes them feel like anything less than an ass for referring to a CHILD as ugly? In public. Smh.

Personally I think the kids are cute and look about as unkempt as a normal child. My personal philosophy is that the only time my kids should be clean is right before bed. At least in the summer I want them outside playing and getting dirty - that's what childhood is for.

One thing about this house that bugged me was the clear glass door. If you have an entry way, fine but the door is right in the living room. There's no privacy at all.

• Love 6
One thing about this house that bugged me was the clear glass door. If you have an entry way, fine but the door is right in the living room. There's no privacy at all.

I agree and it's one of Joanna's annoying habits to cast privacy aside in favor of aesthetics.  

There have been a number of houses that have had entryways with a wall separating the entry area from the living area, and without fail, she's always "off with its head!".  The "open floorplan" result looks great with a fully staged house, in the reveal scenes, and in photos, but what about in your real life when there's a laundry basket by the couch waiting to be folded, dirty cups on the coffee table, and whatever other byproducts of actually LIVING in a house?  Every time you open the door, whoever happens to be on the other side gets treated to the full monty. I prefer elegant, segregated entryways, and I do miss houses with actual rooms rather than just one big living area. I deeply suspect that 'open floorplans" became popular because they were cheaper for builders. (Walls and doors cost money, after all.)

• Love 8

I hate that she's been putting shelves in kitchens rather than upper cabinets.  I would never go for that.  My cabinets are a little messy and I like being able to just close the doors when I'm done.  

• Love 6

I hate that she's been putting shelves in kitchens rather than upper cabinets.  I would never go for that.  My cabinets are a little messy and I like being able to just close the doors when I'm done.

I agree...not a fan of the shelves. I am ok with a few glass doors in cabinets or a built-in hutch to display a few pieces. Plus, JoJo over-accessorizes in general for my taste. I know it's to promote the stuff in her store so, eh, ok I guess. I just don't like having something on every surface.

I don't like any show, this one, Pioneer Woman, etc., that features the family kids on a regular basis, especially every episode. And I am not going to bash anyone's child, well, unless I personally know the kid, but featuring kids regularly really does open them up to comments, whether the comments are good or bad. Not everyone is going to think your kids are as cute, smart, funny, as you do. So, having them on these shows is a business and it is something I don't approve of. They are not playing characters, they are being themselves and people are going to have their opinions. Now, I will bash good ole Chip everyday and twice on Sunday because I think he has gotten out of hand and is embarrassingly silly. I wish JoJo would find an antique muzzle for him.

• Love 5