Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: French Country in Texas?

I deeply suspect that 'open floorplans" became popular because they were cheaper for builders.

Blame Frank Lloyd Wright.  He pioneered the concept.  He found Victorian floorplans too confining.

• Love 1

I keep thinking the open shelving, and the stuff stored on them will get so greasy and dirty. I would hate to have to dust all that regularly. But I'm lazy. I like low maintenance.

You've hit the nail on the head. When I see one of her staged houses I can't help but think about how much work it would be to keep it up.

• Love 2

The open shelf design can work nicely in kitchens as long as people have a limited amount of dishes they display on the shelves. If you only have the dishes and bowls on them that you use on a daily basis they also won't get dirty and dusty. 

I have personally always preferred an open floor plan because I have always lived in smaller spaces. The last thing I would want is living in a flat or a small house with closed off small rooms making me feel claustrophobic. I would never want to live in a Victorian house.

Edited by magdalene

Well, that was a little different, she "picked" the 2nd house right away. I guess they're trying to mix it up a bit. I thought the house came out OK, but I was really hoping that they weren't going to actually use that shade of green on the walls that they showed during the computer simulation, but yep, they did. That is not an attractive color IMO.

Maybe part of the $10,000 the twin sister raised can be used to do the bathroom - because I didn't see that as one of the rooms renovated. 

This was not one of my favorite episodes - but I did like the antique TV used as decoration in the living room. Everything else, not so much. 

• Love 1

This was the first time I didn’t like anything about the inside of the house.  The outside and landscaping were cute.  I think Jo was designing exclusively for the homeowner’s “quirkiness”.

I think they ruined the fireplace with those tiles and the horrible mantle.  The whole sunroom with striped floors and “desk cut in half” was just not appealing to me.  The green walls were too much.  To each his own but this was a miss to me.  Also, the bar stools affixed to the floor might be a big mistake when you get tired of  them.

Ho Hum because,  “shiplap”.

• Love 3

I keep thinking the open shelving, and the stuff stored on them will get so greasy and dirty. I would hate to have to dust all that regularly. But I'm lazy. I like low maintenance.

Against my will, I have a wall of open shelving. We're planning a kitchen re-do when we save up the money - that got postponed due to needing new drainage and gutters, ugh. But for now, we have two of those big chrome shelving units. They're functional but you're 100% right - total dust collectors. I have my bowls on it upside-down, and I'm always having to dust things off & run them through the dishwasher. I will be a happy lady when we finally get a wall of closed cabinets on that side! 

• Love 2

For some reason, I think (hope) they must get to keep "Clint's table" and all of the other is for staging. Of course, I don't know how much they are charged for the other furnishings. I'm assuming the rest goes into storage for the next job.

You're correct - they've mentioned in articles that Clint's table is a Magnolia gift, IIRC.  Clint is apparently making tables for viewers and shipping them around the country these days.

If Jo had a professional staging company, sure, they might retain items for future jobs.  Yes, I know she maintains a large warehouse and has many things but she doesn't have anything close to a staging co's inventory. 

Many designers have arrangements to borrow larger pieces and I'm sure that's what she's doing.  She might have more "smalls" inventory than many designers b/c of her internet venture.  Plus, HGTV / the production company may have contracts with advertisers and assist in exchange for promotional consideration.

No worries - she won't be running out of clocks and those lovely sayings / signs anytime soon!

• Love 2

This was the first time I didn’t like anything about the inside of the house.  The outside and landscaping were cute.  I think Jo was designing exclusively for the homeowner’s “quirkiness”.

I think they ruined the fireplace with those tiles and the horrible mantle.  The whole sunroom with striped floors and “desk cut in half” was just not appealing to me.  The green walls were too much.  To each his own but this was a miss to me.  Also, the bar stools affixed to the floor might be a big mistake when you get tired of  them.

I agree with this post. Every single point in this post.

Personally, I would have chosen the first house, but then I realized Joanna would have made that Victorian floorplan OPEN CONCEPT and removed everything that made it special. So I was glad that wasn't the house that was chosen. 

• Love 2

I get the impression the Clint stuff is negotiated separately beforehand from the Joanna stuff with the homeowners. I doubt he makes a table just because, unless Jo already has a buyer lined up and she's just featuring it in the show.

The reason I think this: there's been many times he makes something then a dining room table, like the island bar tops, those lathe candles, tables for kids playrooms, entry way bench, etc. Then there was that episode this season that he just wasn't in at all. That makes me think the homeowner's behind the scenes have already agreed to purchase his wares before they even shoot. If they don't want a table, they negotiate nothing or something else.

Based on their press, my understanding is that the Magnolia gift, usually a table, is whatever Jo designs for the space.  If we're thinking of the same episode, Saylii, I believe Jo designed those pantry doors for them, instead.  That guy received a mention during the episode.  WRT payment, I'm sure it's "promotional consideration".

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1

I used to think that. Now I realize that it's often that it's an estate sale, and no one felt like paying to have the piano moved.  Maybe that's just a thing in Texas, but I've seen it a lot! 

Yes, they're expensive to move plus the pianos normally require professional tuning when set up at a new location.

I'm sure everyone realizes this but it's an important RE point.  WRT an estate sale and personal property, nobody, even if deceased (lol), has the option to abandon personal property if they don't care to incur moving costs.  Sure, standard clauses may differ between states but that clause usually appears in every RE contract.  That is, all personal property must be removed prior to close of escrow.

So, that tells us that if/when we notice the lone piano in a home, escrow has probably already closed and it's the "hunter's" property.  If the piano's there, it almost always means the piano was included in the sale, according to the specific terms of the contract.  Or, one possible exception, depending on the production company's filming schedule, it's possible that the separate piano mover hasn't removed it.

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 4

The twins were cute and nice. Props to the twin who is a foster parent and wants to adopt the foster son. I am still not sure which twin was buying the house. But I agree with Outtahere, this was my least favorite house they've ever done. Just curious to you folks who have kids....do you want/need an entire kitchen wall of blackboard? And apparently blackboard already populated with headings, i.e., "to do"? Yes, the fireplace was ruined with those hideous tiles!! What were they thinking? Finally, as a volunteer at my neighborhood elementary school library, I noticed that the books on the sawed-in-half desks (WTF!) were Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books. Sniff. No one checks out those innocent books anymore. They aren't graphic enough and are now a dime a dozen for fake shows like this to use as props. RIP Carolyn Keene and Franklin Dixon.
  • Love 7

The twins were cute and nice. Props to the twin who is a foster parent and wants to adopt the foster son. I am still not sure which twin was buying the house. But I agree with Outtahere, this was my least favorite house they've ever done. Just curious to you folks who have kids....do you want/need an entire kitchen wall of blackboard? And apparently blackboard already populated with headings, i.e., "to do"? Yes, the fireplace was ruined with those hideous tiles!! What were they thinking? Finally, as a volunteer at my neighborhood elementary school library, I noticed that the books on the sawed-in-half desks (WTF!) were Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books. Sniff. No one checks out those innocent books anymore. They aren't graphic enough and are now a dime a dozen for fake shows like this to use as props. RIP Carolyn Keene and Franklin Dixon.

I belong to a social club that has a Community Outreach group, and we are currently collecting "Gently Loved Books" to sell as a fundraiser for our charities. We found out there are stagers that buy books in bulk, so if we are left with books that don't sell, we may use them as a source.

• Love 4

Yes, they're expensive to move plus the pianos normally require professional tuning when set up at a new location.

I'm sure everyone realizes this but it's an important RE point.  WRT an estate sale and personal property, nobody, even if deceased (lol), has the option to abandon personal property if they don't care to incur moving costs.  Sure, standard clauses may differ between states but that clause usually appears in every RE contract.  That is, all personal property must be removed prior to close of escrow.

So, that tells us that if/when we notice the lone piano in a home, escrow has probably already closed and it's the "hunter's" property.  If the piano's there, it almost always means the piano was included in the sale, according to the specific terms of the contract.  Or, one possible exception, depending on the production company's filming schedule, it's possible that the separate piano mover hasn't removed it.

I'd agree with you, except that I see it all the time down here.  I saw it when we were househunting in 2012 - empty house, piano sitting there. It's weird, but there it is. 

• Love 3

I'd agree with you, except that I see it all the time down here.  I saw it when we were househunting in 2012 - empty house, piano sitting there. It's weird, but there it is. 

Oh, I believe we're in agreement, txvoodoo!  Sure, I was referring primarily to post-close situations b/c nearly 100% of reality RE programs delay episode production until after close but there's really no difference for listers / pre-contract sellers.

If/when sellers must vacate early, they often leave the piano (or other oversized item(s), e.g. a pool table) behind to avoid unnecessary expenses.  (That's why they're frequently seen when touring properties.)  Many sellers delay calling the piano movers, hoping a buyer will request the instrument and write it into the offer.

To avoid closing delays, wise buyers remind them well in advance, preferably in that very same offer, of their obligation to remove all items of personal property.  And, they also follow up with a walk-through before closing. 

Once closing occurs, buyers lose their leverage.  As soon as the sellers receive their cash, good luck trying to will them to do much of anything.  Plus, it's not unusual for escrow / title companies to begin the mechanics of closing a few days early.  Delay until the actual coe date and it's can be tough or impossible to hold back funds for extraneous expenses.  In fact, some parties (either side of a transaction) purposely request a nominal, say 1 week for example, rent-back period to cover unwanted surprises.

In any event, buyers should always perform a walk through, at least several days after move-out but before closing, to insure that the place is clean and lacks personal property.  Plus, it's very important to make sure that required fixtures remain, e.g. the beautiful shandy that a seller neglected to exclude from the sale, etc. 

P.S. Another good example of oversized items and unwanted surprises might be the abandonment of inexpensive furniture items that may have been assembled on site, e.g. in a basement or 2nd story.  Oops!

• Love 4

I liked this most recent house, mostly because it was so cute from the outside, but also because the decorating was DIFFERENT.  The green used reminds me of the green I have in my dining room, which I love.  "Inland" by Sherwin Williams.

I do like how Chip and Jojo make fun of themselves regarding her use of ship lap and subway tile.  Apparently they have gotten the memo that the designs have all looked the same.

The 1st house was awesome and unique. So much so that I thought it would be one of those where Joanna buys it anyway, just because she wants to do her thing to it.

The sisters were so sweet throughout, but especially at the end. The fact that Chip and Joanna get to share in these milestones is one reason I enjoy the show.

• Love 2

I haaaaaaaaaaaated the green walls in this episode.  Why?  Just why?  I'm glad that at least Jo reconsidered the master bedroom being in that same color but it just didn't work for me.  I think the green stripe on the floor of the sunroom was fine, just a pop of color.  I didn't mind the "halved" desks too much although I don't think they matched the design/décor of the rest of the home.

I too wondered why the need to retile the fireplace???  The fireplace appeared fine before.  Maybe stain it or clean it up somehow but I wouldn't have tiled it.

I was strangely disattached to the kitchen.  It just didn't do anything for me.  I think this would have been the perfect floorplan/space to design a fun, retro type kitchen instead of a slightly modified version of the same old same old.  I also wondered about those stools being attached to the floor - - what if you wanted to move them?

Very surprised we didn't see a bathroom remodel or a nursery/bedroom for the baby.

I did like the overall style of the house and the exterior, which looked fantastic after the remodel.

• Love 1

I think the HH was put off by the size of the first house and the size of the yard. It did have a lot of potential, but it was huge. Of course, as far as I can tell, the house she picked is only 2 br, unless they just didn't show the rooms across the hall.

I liked the small sunroom/playroom and while the kids (well, potential kid in this case, she is a foster mom HOPING to adopt her first foster) are small the "half desks" are kind of cute.

The green on the walls didn't bother me at all - it's not my color but it wasn't bad. It would have been bad had it been every room including the master.

Didn't care for the fireplace because of the funky layout of the tiles - 2/3 of a diamond on the right and left edges. Make it slightly bigger and get the whole design on there. It was also an oddly old-style tile for the space, sort of a farmhouse 1900 that didn't sit well with the 30s-60s decor.

I know that those dresses the girls wear are probably expensive boutique pieces or expensive Etsy purchases and I wonder: why pay that much for hideous? They look like ragamuffin castoffs from a 70s afterschool special most of the time. And please, brush their hair or get it cut. Both girls tend to look like they are badly in need of a shower and haircare, STAT.

Confession:

I think that 3 out of 4 Gaines kids got hit with the ugly stick. You can decide who they are. :P

I think they're all really beautiful children. The girls have pretty hair to me, but I am a bad hair haver. Maybe they are a bit disheveled because they're active and outside a lot?

• Love 11

do you want/need an entire kitchen wall of blackboard? And apparently blackboard already populated with headings, i.e., "to do"?

Don't most people, with or without kids, keep their to-do lists and shopping lists on their phones these days? What good is a shopping list on your kitchen wall going to do for you when you are at the store, or your to-do list on the wall when you are out running errands? I guess you could take a picture of it and take it with you that way? It's still a ridiculous waste of space.

ETA: I also thought the children's "desks" were poorly done. Way too shallow. Even a small child is going to end up bashing his/her head against the wall if they try to really lean over and get into their work. It didn't even look like there was good knee space for children.

I may be in a small minority but I really don't like Clint's work. I think it generally looks amateurish and graceless. If you go onto his website, he's selling things like cutting boards (minimum price $55!) that don't look any different/better than what my sister made in 8th grade woodshop.

Edited by Peanutbuttercup
  • Love 5

I really like Chip and Joanna. Her facial expressions when they are doing their THs - if they are not truly in love, they deserve Oscars. But enough with the ship lap! Not a fan in the new episode tonight,

I belong to a social club that has a Community Outreach group, and we are currently collecting "Gently Loved Books" to sell as a fundraiser for our charities. We found out there are stagers that buy books in bulk, so if we are left with books that don't sell, we may use them as a source.

That's terrific, chessiegal!  Literacy is one of my fave causes so I help out several groups.  In our area, the stagers acquire discards for next to nothing.  Instead, we've traded in unsolds at used bookstores.  They issue credit, assuming they need those particular titles.  The credit's immediately used for new inventory, typically best sellers for our next event.  Unsaleable, remaining inventory is donated to local libraries.

Hope that helps - best of luck!

• Love 1

I'm so close to deleting FIxer Upper off the DVR. Tonight's episode was so boring. I ended up watching most of it while washing dishes. Then I had to rewind four times when I was done because I found myself on my phone every time I tried to watch the reveal. I hope they do something to shake up the show soon.

Forgot to post about this when they aired the "B&B" / vacation home rental episode in Dec.  Checking out the Zillow listing, I noticed a square footage discrepancy of about 3K. 

Reviewed more detail and sure enough, the McGregor home had a separate outbuilding in the lot's rear.  Initially, I wondered if it would be renovated for either onsite managers and/or family. 

You guessed it!  Next week (season finale) they're airing the renovation episode for that building, another "B&B" Magnolia unit.

So, if you're checking out Magnolia Market, the Silos in Waco, get your wallet, er credit card - better make it your savings account (!) -  ready to rent that place for a weekend! 

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1

I'm so close to deleting FIxer Upper off the DVR. Tonight's episode was so boring. I ended up watching most of it while washing dishes. Then I had to rewind four times when I was done because I found myself on my phone every time I tried to watch the reveal. I hope they do something to shake up the show soon.

I agree, it's on the bubble for me, too, Saylii.  Besides the ongoing, semi-scripted, predictability, the constant promotion nauseates me.  For example, last week I assumed they had the twin select the 2nd home immediately to replace the selection scene with the Silos.   Bingo, that was it!

But, it wasn't enough to show before & afters (since they said it was moving day), they had to gild the lily, for them, that is, by throwing Jimmy Don into the mix.  Nothing against Jimmy Don but hey, each episode already starts with at least 16 minutes of commercials.

Enough is enough, right?

P.S.  Given their success and reality television's miniscule production values, I'm sure they'll continue replaying their single script over and over ...  right down to the homeowners' final comment, "Chip and Jo nailed it!".

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 2

I only watch the last 10 minutes if this show now. It really should be a half hour show like Flip or Flop.

My motto for this show is "your FF button is your friend." I FF through the family opening, then watch the visits to the three houses. The reason why I watch the visits is because I want to see what the surrounding neighborhood looks like and to imagine how they're going to over-improve when there is a bait shop on the corner. Then when the buyers say which house they've selected, I FF until the reveal. I would never watch this show in real time. Chip makes me too stabby.

Regarding this episode, I really was surprised that they didn't choose the outhouse. I'll wager ten dollars that we see it again next season. Bet your ship lap on it!

• Love 2

I liked the green cabinets in the kitchen. Everything else, not so much, especially the damn shiplap.

I fast forward through all of Chip's idiotic highjinks and the part where they stand in front of the house forever with Chip & Joanna teasing them about being ready to see their new house.

Still waiting to see a gay couple on this show. I have a feeling I shouldn't hold my breath.

• Love 2

I liked the green cabinets in the kitchen. Everything else, not so much, especially the damn shiplap.

I fast forward through all of Chip's idiotic highjinks and the part where they stand in front of the house forever with Chip & Joanna teasing them about being ready to see their new house.

Still waiting to see a gay couple on this show. I have a feeling I shouldn't hold my breath.

Maybe the same sex couples have higher decorating standards?

• Love 7

I'm getting close to taking this off my DVR as well.  I barely remember much from the episode, which definitely says it was boring.

I did like the exterior and I appreciated that the kitchen included color cabinets.  But I was super underwhelmed by the bathroom which came off cold to me.  And was there shiplap in every room? 

I wish the editing monkeys would stop revealing so much in the opening.  I saw the house they chose had red brick and given the first house was the only one with red brick, it was a no-brainer and I could pretty much ignore the next two houses they viewed.  I know it's totally set up and staged anyhow but at least don't give everything away in the preview, folks!

• Love 2

I'm getting close to taking this off my DVR as well.  I barely remember much from the episode, which definitely says it was boring.

Yep I have to agree.  Until very recently I was defending Chip's antics and enjoying the show generally.  But there's a couple things going on that I increasingly dislike.

The show is very predictable and formulaic.  I liked the show when it was about rehabbing run-down homes in nice neighborhoods.  Now, however, it's about Jo's quirky and, frankly, ugly design choices, and Chip's efforts to be noticed, interspersed with the same segments every week about a special project, a trip to the crap store, and some family stuff.

The show also isn't very honest.  Maybe it's always been that way, but recently there have been episodes where the show has quite clearly manufactured some bogus story line, like where the client stumbled upon the house that just happened to be her grandmother's, or where they moved that shotgun shack off the land that a developer had bought.  A large part of the show's appeal is how easily the viewer can relate to the hosts.  They're not so relatable if it seems they're just feeding us a line.  

A third thing, and it's probably just my own pet peeve, is the way the show uses the kids.  They're props.  They always appear either in some staged family play segment, or doing some special project Jo gets them to do (which she then ignores in favor of her own work), or visiting Jo at the end to give her a snack during her weird all-nighter design/staging sessions.  Meanwhile Chip's off in his own world.  I'd rather see the kids either in their own element or not at all.

Finally, the show is extremely limited demographically.  That's not really Chip and Jo's fault, per se, but the fact remains virtually every episode is about white, heterosexual Baylor grads buying some dumpy shiplap-laden home in the greater Waco area and then renovating it so that it matches Jo's design aesthetic.  That gets boring.

• Love 11

I wonder if the husband and wife who are going to look after the B&B are going to get to keep the furniture in the carriage house.  It was nicely done but same old same old...even the furniture doesn't make it look different from any others that Joanna has done.

• Love 1

I wonder if the husband and wife who are going to look after the B&B are going to get to keep the furniture in the carriage house.  It was nicely done but same old same old...even the furniture doesn't make it look different from any others that Joanna has done.

I wasn't paying that much attention to the beginning, but I got a sense as the episode went on that they were renovating the adjacent property for someone to move into to run the B&B, because there was no discussion of home cost. I think Chip and Joanna own the home, and the couple live there to manage the B&B, and therefore everything stays.

I really liked the final product.  I also enjoyed the Silo opening shots. I get the feeling Chip and Joanna are rock stars in Waco. Can any locals can weigh in?

• Love 1

My take is that Joanna was decorating it any way she wanted as she owns the joint. I was trying to figure out what the deal was with J&C's good friends' parents moving onto the "next phase" of their lives, living for free in a remodeled home and having what I'm guessing isn't too tough a deal (banking on local hired help doing all of the heavy lifting). Might be a generous gesture---Mrs. B&B keeper seemed pretty emotional when the house turned out to be beautiful to her.

Chessiegal, I haven't watched this episode yet but yes they are rock stars in Waco. HUGE rock stars. They had a big feature in a recent edition of Baylor Alumni magazine (which I promptly put in the recycling bin), but that Baylor connection is invaluable. Also, I live in north Texas.....I can't tell you how many friends of friends do road trips to Magnolia thanks to this show. The Gaines will never have to worry about money.

• Love 1

I wasn't paying that much attention to the beginning, but I got a sense as the episode went on that they were renovating the adjacent property for someone to move into to run the B&B, because there was no discussion of home cost. I think Chip and Joanna own the home, and the couple live there to manage the B&B, and therefore everything stays.

My take is that Joanna was decorating it any way she wanted as she owns the joint.

That's my take too, I think the Gaines' own the house, so I wonder why they even bothered to do this episode? Did that couple really have any say in anything? Is the house in addition to their salary for running the B&B, or is it their only salary?

That's my take too, I think the Gaines' own the house, so I wonder why they even bothered to do this episode? Did that couple really have any say in anything? Is the house in addition to their salary for running the B&B, or is it their only salary?

I'll confess to merely having the show on in the background, but still, this confused me, too   It looked exactly like every other house they do.  It was clearly their house.  So they'd make these statements about the B&B and finding somebody to run it, or something, and I'd ask my wife what they were talking about since clearly they were renovating this house they owned.  Did they actually expect us to think the people who were going to live there would turn them down?

And yeah that was a big concert they showed in downtown (?) Waco.  Good for them.  Seriously.  

At the beginning of the episode I thought Chip or Joanna said they were selling the house to the couple, who would then manage what they insist on calling the B&B, which it isn't.  With no sale price mentioned and with all the problems, no calls were made to the buyers about extra costs, so either I mis-heard or Chip/Joanna mis-spoke.  I've already deleted the episode, so can't check my memory.

The Gaines' definitely own the carriage house. The only reason the Ward's were involved was to make it seem like a regular episode. I would guess most of Jo's furniture will stay, but the Ward's can move in heirloom furniture and small things that they don't want to put in storage. I'm sure they will take a small salary for the B&B in addition to living in the house.

• Love 3

It seems somewhat odd that the Gaines' empire is reaching its peak just as their show seems to be stalling out. Earlier seasons featured houses that pretty much met the tag line in the intro - homes in what seemed to be good locations which were charming or had character but had fallen on hard times. This last season they have been REALLY stretching.

• Love 2

Earlier seasons featured houses that pretty much met the tag line in the intro - homes in what seemed to be good locations which were charming or had character but had fallen on hard times. This last season they have been REALLY stretching.

Probably because there's a limit to how many run down houses there are in good neighborhoods. If that's the theme they want to continue to use, then they need to expand their universe outside of Waco, but then they'll lose the "local" aspect of the show. They've kind of boxed themselves into a corner.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 3

http://hookedonhouses.net/2016/03/28/10-things-you-wanted-to-know-about-fixer-upper-on-hgtv/

https://magnoliamarket.com/stay/ the guest house

hope these 2 are saving their money, as this thing could burnt out quickly

I am still so stunned that anyone would pay $695 to $995 per night to stay in McGregor TX! I've stayed at nice resorts in California, Cape Cod, and Vancouver that didn't cost that much per night and those locations actually have geographic beauty and stuff to do! Heck, we didn't even pay close to that for a nice hotel in Paris!!! I can't imagine this conversation..."Hey, Spunkygal, where are you going for vacation?" "McGregor TX!" "Uh, ok....."

But congrats to the Gaines for coming up with all this and being successful. It will be interesting to see if next season is the same old stuff.

ETA: I understand that their rental rate is for the entire house, not just a room, but still..it's McGregor TX!!

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 6
chessiegal, on 29 Mar 2016 - 10:57 PM, said:

<snip>

I'm really confused.

I know when C&J initially purchased the property, they said it was going to be renovated and turned into a B&B. But then it was revealed that the home isn't going to be a B&B, but a weekend house rental. So why in the world do they need someone to "manage" it at all, least of all a full-time, on-site (different dwelling/same patch of land), couple? Typically when one is renting out a house, you just need to ensure the property is clean and everything is in good working order after the renters leave. The rooms need to be cleaned and the linens washed and replaced. But that certainly isn't enough work to warrant hiring a couple full-time, is it? It seems it would be cheaper to just schedule a cleaning crew to come in and do the job in a few hours after each rental period ends.

With a B&B, because it's more like a small hotel with breakfast included, so you do need to have staff to clean the rooms each day,  prepare breakfast (and often provide concierge-type services, such as making recommendations to the guests on local attractions, restaurant reservations, etc.). My sister owns and operates a B&B, so I'm fairly familiar with the difference between what operating a B&B entails versus just a weekend house rental.

I just don't get it, unless C&J have a special relationship with this couple and they are doing it more to help the couple out for reasons we're not privy to, because just from a purely financial standpoint it doesn't make sense to me.

• Love 2

Does every house need to have every wall taken out

With most of the homes being at least 40-50+ years old...when kitchens weren't a focal point,  I would say yes.

no sale price mentioned and with all the problems, no calls were made to the buyers about extra costs

I think that was the purpose of Chip calling Jo...because they are the homeowners.

• Love 3
unless C&J have a special relationship with this couple and they are doing it more to help the couple out for reasons we're not privy to

That's what I was getting at in my previous message---they did say this couple were the parents of some very, very good friends (and church members?) of theirs. I wonder if they encountered some problems and this is C&J's way of helping them out.