Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: French Country in Texas?

It's Laurel, MS. The couple featured are Erin and Ben who grew up there and Erin's family lives there. Erin writes a blog entitled " Make something good today". They seem like a really sweet couple who love their town and want it to thrive. I've read her blog for a long time and have followed the changes in their lives and their town. It was really interesting to see how this new show developed. He was a youth minister and she had a stationary business when I first started reading about them. Life has changed for them in major ways but they seem to be very sweet hearted people who love their families, friends and their town. I look forward to watching their new show. If you want to know some background before you watch the show, just go to Erin's blog and read about them. 

• Love 3

Huh, that IS the couple I was thinking of. Hard to keep all these shows straight. BTW, what is the correct forum for discussing that upcoming show and the "Restored" show that is currently on? They aren't really DIY, they aren't flipping shows, either. I think I mentioned "Restored" in the "DIY" thread under "Genre".= but it isn't really correct.

• Love 1

This show is boring and I hope they end it soon, if for no other reason than I can't even stand to watch the commercials for it.  As for Chip and Jo?  I give them 4-5 years tops.  No love there.

• Love 1

Wasn't there a bakery already in the Silos called Flour?

I've never been (yet!) but thought I remember hearing about this.

I see a lot of love between Chip &  Jo; just because they're different doesn't mean there's no love. He's the playful prankster and she's more serious, kind of like my husband and I and I wouldn't trade him for the world.

I don't see anything resembling no love. To each their own.

• Love 13

Another episode where they could only find one other house to show them (besides the one they already bought), I wonder if they're running out of houses in Waco? There was also a couple of new things, showing the cost of some random items, & when they drew the plan on the glass. I guess we'll find out if they're permanent if they do them again next week. 

Chip really didn’t know what the word “epiphany” meant?

I thought the house came out nice, I liked the office room with the wall taken down, & the bowling alley wood island was a great idea, but I wish they had somehow saved that cactus & had it planted somewhere else. That was a pretty awesome, big plant, I'm sure it could have gone somewhere.

• Love 1

The bakery episode was boring.   Especially with the kids oohing and ahhinhg as Joanna is explaining the decor points--like the kids would care or understand.  

They were just looking at the cupcakes !  

In this age of  lowfat and no carbs,  I'm surprised that she wouldn't do a small farm to table eatery instead,  or a juice bar.  

Kind of a bland interior also. 

Guess I'm  tired of the same ole schnick from these two as well. I ff to the end to see the redo. 

• Love 1

Why does Chip calling the kids "the babies" annoy me? Is that a sourthern thing. I know if someone has a baby they call it a baby but when there are four toddlers it not something that is said. Just curious.

• Love 1
On 2/18/2017 at 8:51 PM, suebee12 said:

"Yes ma'am" and "yes sir" is a southern thing, not just Texas. I remember when I was doing my internship and my "boss" was younger than I was but I still said "yes, ma'am" to show respect. She was from Michigan, and thought it was strange...had to tell her no, not strange, just my upbringing in Virginia. I still like to hear kids say it to show respect.

I'm in southern Indiana, some say that's part of the south, but I think it's more of a manners thing. It's sad that not everyone gets that though. Not too long ago I was pulled over by a cop, who of course wanted my usual documents and asked the usual questions. I was answering him "yes sir"/"no sir" as appropriate. He said he didn't appreciate my attitude. I told him I was raised to say "sir" and "ma'am" to people doing their jobs, like police officers. He stomped back to his car. A few minutes later he came back, gave me a warning (thank sir - I wasn't speeding all that much) and let me go, and he had this embarrassed smile on his face the entire time. He was being silly and figured it out in the car. It probably didn't hurt that I was probably 25-30 years older than him.

ByaNose wrote:

Why does Chip calling the kids "the babies" annoy me? Is that a sourthern thing. I know if someone has a baby they call it a baby but when there are four toddlers it not something that is said. Just curious.

I think you are right, that it is mainly a southern thing. I've heard it used around here, but not too often. When I have heard it, it's usually by someone referring to someone else's kids ("Where are your babies?"), not by someone referring to their own kids ("My babies are in the house.").  I think it's weird that the older boy (what is he, 12?) would be included in "babies" but I don't have too much trouble with the youngest child being referred to that way.

Edited by JeanneH

Jo calls them babies, too, and they're getting a little old for that.  What bugs me is that so many of the activities with the kids are gender specific.  The girls go shopping, the boys ride go-carts, etc.  Maybe that reflects the children's interests, but I get the feeling the girls aren't offered the go-cart option.  It seems to have gotten a little better this season (all kids making cupcakes).

• Love 5
On 2/9/2017 at 9:43 AM, Jellybeans said:

The houseboat is fabulous!  

I like the dark color but in Texas it would be so hot...did not see a cooling unit.  I assume they use only ceiling fans so it would be off limits during the summer months as it would turn into an oven.

Don't think it is a primary home.

Chip continues to crack me up!!!

I saw a mini split on the second level.  

The floor to ceiling windows were pretty, and I like a lot of light, but there were too many windows.  That boat will probably be hot in the summer, and I don't know why the kitchen had to take so much space.  I'd rather the head was bigger, and would have sacrificed half the kitchen windows for storage.  It didn't appear there were any closets, either.  I guess it was what the guy wanted, but I think they did a shit job maximizing space and storage.  I also would have gone for a cheaper, lighter, and more durable vinyl siding.   

I call my youngest the baby. She's two. But she's my last and my baby.

But yes, it's a Southern thing. Grandmothers, aunts, etc will ask where are the babies? It doesn't matter the age.

Yes ma'am/sir and No ma'am/sir are just being polite. It's a way to show respect. Also,a Southern thing. I've found my friends from up North feel the opposite. They think it's rude at first and it's a way to call people old.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, camom said:

What bugs me is that so many of the activities with the kids are gender specific.  The girls go shopping, the boys ride go-carts, etc.  Maybe that reflects the children's interests, but I get the feeling the girls aren't offered the go-cart option.  It seems to have gotten a little better this season (all kids making cupcakes).

Oh, this, so much. A couple of episodes back they were building (or re-building?) a canoe and only the boys were involved and went canoeing with dad (and I think it was actually stated by Chip's voice-over that it was a good activity for father/sons bonding time). Why weren't the girls involved?

• Love 7

Yep, very little to say about the most recent episode, with the people relocating from San Diego to Waco.  As someone who cannot stand the heat, you couldn't pry my dead body away from San Diego to go to central Texas.

As usual, I did like the exterior makeover of the house, but the fact that the sections of the house were sort of mis-matched bothered me. I wish they would have chosen the other house with the dueling fireplaces.

I don't know if I liked the result of the kitchen sink.  I absolutely LOVE having an undermount sink, which makes it so easy to wipe crumbs and such into the sink.

Sometimes kids want to be gender specific.  It is better to let kids be kids and follow their interests.  

My daughter was very girlie and there was no way I could have gotten her on a go-cart even though it looks like fun to me.  

No one is complaining about the Gaines boys not doing "girlie stuff" with Mom.  

The cactus is not a big deal-they are everywhere in Texas.  I like it much better without it.  Love the german schmear?  (sp?)

Texas IS hot in the summer.  

• Love 7

Texas isn't just hot in the summer. I live in a Dallas suburb and we are pushing 90 today. Ridiculous! 

P.S. I guess you could say I am grumpygal today. I hate the heat!

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Jellybeans said:

Sometimes kids want to be gender specific.  It is better to let kids be kids and follow their interests.  

My daughter was very girlie and there was no way I could have gotten her on a go-cart even though it looks like fun to me.  

No one is complaining about the Gaines boys not doing "girlie stuff" with Mom.  

I'll complain here then : ).  Something I've noticed a few times, and in the last episode with the reading nook.  She generally has the girls help with decorating, but not the boys.   

• Love 3
Just now, After7Only said:

I'll complain here then : ).  Something I've noticed a few times, and in the last episode with the reading nook.  She generally has the girls help with decorating, but not the boys.   

LOL!  

I love the idea but as a mom who raised both... I found their genders spoke louder than any ideas I had.

As a kid I loved fishing, etc., but my brother had no interest.  

I think the parents are letting their kids be themselves.

I heard Joanna wanted a fifth child but Chip wasn't so sure?  Have they ruled out a fifth for sure?

• Love 5

I have no issue with boys baking or girls fishing. I also have no issue with Chip taking the boys on a father/son bonding trip that doesn't include the girls.

My husband and I take both kids on bonding trips. The kids pick what they want to do. It's good to have some one on one time.

• Love 9

We have one son and one daughter. They both picked their own paths from an early age. We just went with what they were interested in and didn't try to steer them in any other direction. Now in their forties, they're still the same. I think these complaints about how Jo and Chip do things with their kids is just more PC stuff. These children are theirs and they know how to raise their own children. I wouldn't have wanted anyone to tell us how to raise our children. At all. Ever. 

• Love 11

I don't care whether or not the Gaines kids do gender specific stuff.  I just don't want to see them doing anything anymore.   They're a lovely family, but I think it's all becoming too overexposed.    Like they're grasping for ideas (stupid silos) to keep the gravy train running.  However, if they ever do anything cool with the actual silos like office space/ condos, I'd be all over it.  How about a Magnolia gym? 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

I just don't want to see them doing anything anymore.   They're a lovely family, but I think it's all becoming too overexposed.  

Actually, I think that is pretty much it. They show only a part of their family life (which is of course staged for camera) and whether they want it or not, it sends a signal.

In the last episodes (particularly the bakery) I wonder more and more how the kids are reacting to being so prominently featured and how it will affect their characters growing up. The Gaines are at the top of their game right now, it will go down at some point for sure, I wonder how the kids will take it. The parents seem balanced enough to deal with that, but I don't think children should be exposed like that on what is ultimately "reality" TV.

And I'm definitely not watching this show to see the Gaines' family life, I don't care about it. Keep it to yourself, it's your business, not ours.

Edited by Sarnia
  • Love 4

I get the impression that the Gaines are going to stop filming sometime in the near future.  HGTV has so many copy cat shows now, and the Gaines business is so huge, I just can't imagine why they would continue subjecting their life to such scrutiny, oftentimes by people who know nothing about them except what HGTV wants to show.  I hope, for their family's well-being, that the Gaines at least stop showing so much of their personal life.  

I think C & J look tired.  They need to take a break!

• Love 4
On 2/22/2017 at 11:52 AM, camom said:

Jo calls them babies, too, and they're getting a little old for that.  What bugs me is that so many of the activities with the kids are gender specific.  The girls go shopping, the boys ride go-carts, etc.  Maybe that reflects the children's interests, but I get the feeling the girls aren't offered the go-cart option.  It seems to have gotten a little better this season (all kids making cupcakes).

The girls also didn't get to go canoeing with the "heirloom" canoe and it really annoyed me. 

I often wonder how many houses Chip & Joanna "Fixed" before HGTV came calling? If HGTV cancelled them tomorrow would they still fix houses up? How much of it is for tv? They have an expanded media career based on this show and need the show to get the word out. I had mentioned earlier that the bakery can only survive if the goods are well, um, good. LOL!!! Apparently, they have said they won't go to other states to fix houses which I'm sure HGTV would like. Waco isn't that big, is it? They've probably fixed half of Waco. What's left? LOL!!!

On 2/22/2017 at 10:02 PM, Court said:

I call my youngest the baby. She's two. But she's my last and my baby.

But yes, it's a Southern thing. Grandmothers, aunts, etc will ask where are the babies? It doesn't matter the age.

Yes ma'am/sir and No ma'am/sir are just being polite. It's a way to show respect. Also,a Southern thing. I've found my friends from up North feel the opposite. They think it's rude at first and it's a way to call people old.

I was in the military before I became a nurse.  One night I was caring for a patient who somewhat peevishly asked me, "Are you from the South?"  No, why?  "Because you keep calling me ma'am."

On 2/23/2017 at 10:11 PM, Mu Shu said:

I don't care whether or not the Gaines kids do gender specific stuff.  I just don't want to see them doing anything anymore.   They're a lovely family, but I think it's all becoming too overexposed.    

I've started automatically FFing through the first several minutes of each episode because I know it's nothing but fluff with the kids.  I realize they're trying to make a brand out of this family, but I really don't give a fuck about their family life and I just want to see the house and the remodel.

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:13 PM, meep.meep said:

The show's continued hard on for the Baylor football team is what's making me say sayonara.  All those adults who have been featured on the show must have noticed something.

On my mind because of something I just read, and now I read Meep.Meep's post  :)

We know Chip & Joanna (especially Chip) have worn Baylor gear on the show. They've actually met with clients on camera at Baylor (IIRC at the football stadium). I think the show has shown street signs pointing to Baylor a time or two. They're a couple of proud alumni.  But as the scandal at Baylor has gotten worse and worse, is it my imagination or has the show cut way back on the Baylor gear worn and other references, especially over the last season or show?

• Love 1

They have had a series of clients associated with the football team.  The last show I watched, the client was the team's equipment manager.  I think it was an episode from this year.  In the past they've done houses for the team's chaplain and for someone else in the marketing dept (?).  That one got Chip and the boys out on the stadium field.

Proud alumni is one thing.  For the show not to realize that something really wrong has been going on is another.  

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

They have had a series of clients associated with the football team.  The last show I watched, the client was the team's equipment manager.  I think it was an episode from this year.  In the past they've done houses for the team's chaplain and for someone else in the marketing dept (?).  That one got Chip and the boys out on the stadium field.

Proud alumni is one thing.  For the show not to realize that something really wrong has been going on is another.  

I thought the house for people related to Baylor, and the football stadium thing, were all previous seasons. I'm thinking they might have cut back on that stuff this current season. Scandal or no, they may have cut back anyway - can't have Chip running around wearing a Baylor cap when he can be wearing a Magnolia hat instead!

• Love 1

Why would the show know? They're not actively involved in the every day workings of the football team. Their clients now probably did know. 

Waco is a college town. Waco is Baylor.  I will say their level of passion for Baylor football isn't unusual. Especially not for Texas. 

• Love 9
On 2/18/2017 at 1:23 PM, Jellybeans said:

I am from Texas and that is how I raised my kids...I thought it was normal lol.

I think Chip and Joanna are very happy together.  I would love a relationship like theirs. Full of humor, hard work and lovable children.

We all see things differently I guess.

Isn't it crazy how we all see things differently?  I see a lot of love between them.  I've never seen her give him a hateful look or anything that looks like she can't stand him. Not at all.  I just see a happy, loving couple/family.

I've been living with somebody for almost 28 years and believe me, he's embarrassed me plenty and vice versa but that doesn't mean we don't love each other or that our relationship won't last.   They've always seemed much more genuine than that Flip or Flop couple.  

• Love 15

Oh, look, there's a big ass clock on the wall! (One of the few walls left standing.) Jo just designed Waco's biggest kitchen---they never showed any bedrooms, perhaps because they're the tiniest bedrooms in Waco? Also, on the subject of the Gaines' kids: Oldest son looked about as miserable as possible tonight. And wth was with his dad? Towards the beginning, Chip made it sound like he had negotiated some sweet deals on the couple's house choices, although we know that's not true, and by the end, all the talk was clearly about how they made their deal. Youse can STFU anytime, Chip.

• Love 1

Yeah, the kitchen (island) was one of their BIGGER ones. I didn't like when you walked right in the front door (which I really liked) that the huge long table was smack right there. Of course, that's what the open concept is but with a smaller house and huge kitchen table & island it was too much for me. I'm not sure what I thought of with the fireplace painted blue?! I understood she was trying to tie it together with the kitchen island that was right there but I'm not really sure I like a blue fireplace. I did like the big clock because I have one. LOL!! I love big clocks and mirrors. I'm weird that way. LOL!!!

• Love 1

I liked the house except for the front window with the triangular panes.  Just not my style.  If I'm remembering correctly, all the rooms receive at least a cosmetic update and maybe that's all the bedrooms/bathrooms needed.  Even though the budget was larger, it wouldn't allow for renovating four bedrooms and two-and-a-half baths.  Also, I thought there was mention of a TV over the fireplace, which surprised me because that's happened only once or twice.  Happy the guy spoke up about changing the skinny shiplap.

I still like this show and I'm happy when I see an episode I haven't seen before.  I enjoy seeing the kids and the goats too. 

I think Chip's crew does beautiful work.  I am genuinely amazed at the exteriors of the houses they do.

Joanna's work not so much as it seems to be one note.  And besides that she's not designing for the client's furniture.  Sure her stuff looks beautiful in there but I always try and put my furniture in the space and I giggle at how bad it would look.

• Love 4

I deleted the most recent episode halfway through after Joanna explained her design concept, which was once again, tear down all the interior walls and paint everything white. Yawn. I've been doing the same thing to the Property Brothers lately, it isn't personal. Someone wake me up when there are design/reno shows that do more than tear down interior walls, paint stuff white, and install white shaker cabinets and subway tile backsplash.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Peanutbuttercup said:

I deleted the most recent episode halfway through after Joanna explained her design concept, which was once again, tear down all the interior walls and paint everything white. Yawn. I've been doing the same thing to the Property Brothers lately, it isn't personal. Someone wake me up when there are design/reno shows that do more than tear down interior walls, paint stuff white, and install white shaker cabinets and subway tile backsplash.

If you get DIY channel, there are several reno shows restoring older homes to their former glory, and another guy in Denver that adds second stories to homes. I find I'm watching DIY more than HGTV. Nashville Flipped is good. In one episode there were nice kitchen cabinets that didn't match the period of the house. They carefully removed them and donated them. So refreshing.

• Love 9

I also used to watch HGTV religiously but with the millions of reruns, the same plots, the same results, all of the houses looking alike, I watch DIY much more. I love the show "Restored". I also like the one in PA with the restorations of the stone houses. Both of these guys are pleasant, the homeowners are pleasant, the houses are all different and I learn a lot about historic homes. Some of the homes in PA date back to the 1700's! It fascinates me to see these houses constructed so early in our country's history. 

• Love 6

I agree with @Gam2, Restored on DIY is worth watching. Brett, the preservationist host, has a few mannerisms that irk me a bit ("I know, right?!"), but he knows his stuff and respects the property. And he doesn't show his family, goats, silo or favorite college at all. I don't watch shows for the personal aspect. I just want to learn more about the property itself. Silly me! And regarding the host's mannerisms, I'd rather watch a marathon of him vs. ten minutes of Chip.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Peanutbuttercup said:

I don't get DIY (scaled back to the lowest level of Directv in a fit of frugality last year) but will see if I can find Restored on Netflix or Amazon or something. Thanks!

I have DirecTV, too, and got a second mortgage so I could get DIY. Ha! Not really, but it was pricey to add it. I don't spend a lot of money on other entertainment and justified it that way. ~insert lame grin here~ but you could try and ask DirecTV to give you a trial basis of that channel. They are pretty accommodating sometimes.  

• Love 1